Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,566

@abacomike said:
    Just checked outside weather stats:

Temp is 52 degrees
    Humidity is 32%
    Under a 🚩 (red flag) warning due to low humidity levels.

Forecast is for low 40’s tonight with windchills in the low 30’s. Tomorrow’s low is forecast to be mid-30’s with windchills in the 20’s. Highs are forecast to be in the mid-50’s to low 60’s.

Going out for dinner tonight at 7:30 PM - pulling out my long pants, sweater and leather mid-length coat that I haven’t worn in over 10 years. Ugh!!!

When you want to trade places let me know.

There are plenty of folks up here that wear shorts when the temp is in the 60’s. I don’t but it’s not a rare sighting.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    edited January 2022
    Now here is a true Maverick
    https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1976/ford/maverick/101691872

Funny thing is is that there is someone else selling a Maverick on the other side of the country using pictures of what looks like the exact same car.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    I spend a lot of time on the Maverick forum. The way I understand the listings is that customer orders never show up. But, anything that is a dealer order (stock, which are rare on these now, or a customer order that the buyer cancels before it arrives so reverts to the dealer) does show up on the website.

the problem is, Ford controls that, not the dealer. So whenever a dealer has an incoming unit, it stays on the website until it arrives and officially sold, even if someone puts a deposit down so it actually isn't available. So at this point, odds are most of the ones you see are not for sale. usually the way to tell is there are actually pictures taken at the dealer. Then you just have to deal with it being sold before you get there, and the dealer being slow to take the listing down!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options

@stickguy said:
    hard to get an accurate measurement with the wind but we got about 8" at least. Just finished getting the whole driveway done and my old bones are tired. At least the wife helped this time. usually I would have done a few passes (every 3-4") but since it snowed heavy from about midnight to dawn, that was not happening. Mostly stopped, just some flurries which can melt off.

only problem is the plows have not come through. so at some point I will be back out to clean out the ice dam at the bottom. Always fun.

my daughter is in Boston and they are getting pounded. Not that she cars, since she lives on the 9th floor of a tower and doesn't have a car. She did say playing basketball in the indoor gym, watching the snow through the windows, was fun!

It sounds like you need someone to make hot chocolate for you.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    This morning it wa 3 deg when I went to get coffee. It got up to 24 deg. Going
    back down to 17 or so overnight.

If we get anymore excess cold air here, we'll send it on down
    south to y'all just for complaining about 52 deg. LOL

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,988

This morning it wa 3 deg when I went to get coffee. It got up to 24 deg. Going
    back down to 17 or so overnight.

If we get anymore excess cold air here, we'll send it on down
    south to y'all just for complaining about 52 deg. LOL

It’s pretty but keep it!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    I have had more than enough for winter this year. Though I would be perfectly content to never have the temp drop below 50 where I am ever again.

• Options
    very annoyed today. Since we were pretty well snowed in, after finishing the shoveling, decided to get everything together to do the taxes. Pulled out my list of documents required and the pile I collected that have arrived, and printed out the ones I have to do online.

and of course, there is 1 form missing. Nothing important but I hate starting them if I can't plow through and hit submit to efile when I am done. I'll probably bang them out anyway tomorrow and finish them at some point when I can. At least I will know if there is a refund coming and if I want to finish them!

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977
    abacomike said:

Just checked outside weather stats:

Temp is 52 degrees

Humidity is 32%

Under a 🚩 (red flag) warning due to low humidity levels.

Forecast is for low 40’s tonight with windchills in the low 30’s. Tomorrow’s low is forecast to be mid-30’s with windchills in the 20’s. Highs are forecast to be in the mid-50’s to low 60’s.

Going out for dinner tonight at 7:30 PM - pulling out my long pants, sweater and leather mid-length coat that I haven’t worn in over 10 years. Ugh!!!

But, NO SNOW I bet!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options

@stickguy said:
    I have had more than enough for winter this year. Though I would be perfectly content to never have the temp drop below 50 where I am ever again.

Well, I guess that rules out @Mike’s neighborhood. You gotta go to the tropics for what you want.

jmonroe

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

Driving home from dinner last night I counted 4 green iguanas in the street looking lifeless - but they succumb to temps in the 30’s and low 40’s and fall out of our trees. They will be picked up early this morning before they revive from warmer temps by maintenance trucks and they will be turned in to the State wildlife agency. They are considered an invasive specie here in South Florida and is a feral population.

They are a nuisance!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

driver100 said:

How about a job related scam? Salary was the biggest tipoff.

Hello A*** *!
    Home based job for U.S. Citizen only!

I am an HR representative and I have found your profile through employment agency

No special knowledge is required to work on this position. You just need to be a attentive, diligent and responsible person.

Monthly pay will be in the range of 4000 to 5000 USD.

If you are interested in this vacancy, please let me know about that in your response, I will send you the detailed information.

A few oddities in the use of the English language too. I think most people would say $4000 to $5000 (U.S.maybe), not 4000 to 5000 USD.

One of my first jobs in accounting was with a company that had subsideraries around the globe. Since we were consistanty working with foreign currencies we would required to use "USD" as opposed to "$" to distiguse it from CND or AUD or NZD or any other country that calls their script "dollar". That requirement was company wide for standardization, so a job offer from HR would be #####USD.
    My former company did that as well. And, for the very same reasons. Whenever we were drawing up contracts, quotes, purchase agreements, etc., it was actually required given we did business worldwide and the use of the $ sign was used with currencies outside of the U.S. Helped a bit when the euro was established and eliminated the different signs for several different European currencies, though.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Every winter, the midwesterners, north easterners and plains people go through the same ritual of vowing to not braving their environment. Those in the South and Southwest pledge the same thing during their brutal summers.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    Only in Florida....Road rage incident, guy shoots other car right through his own windows: 1 min 18 sec.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saQ72NZtrS0

• Options

@graphicguy said:
    Every winter, the midwesterners, north easterners and plains people go through the same ritual of vowing to not braving their environment. Those in the South and Southwest pledge the same thing during their brutal summers.

My sister who lives near Orlando tells people don't move to Florida because the summers are brutal with the heat and humidity. My response is a picture o have of the outside temperature on my dashboard that reads -25.

The fact is here we get our share of hot humid days, not as many as Florida, but we do get them. It's getting to the point where I can't handle the cold nearly as well as I used to but really dont mind the hot weather as much. And as they say, you don't have to shovel sunshine.

• Options
    I am the same way. Hot and humid does not bother me, but being real cold definitely does.

my wife is the opposite. Not a good pairing in that regard!

• Options

@abacomike said:
    Driving home from dinner last night I counted 4 green iguanas in the street looking lifeless - but they succumb to temps in the 30’s and low 40’s and fall out of our trees. They will be picked up early this morning before they revive from warmer temps by maintenance trucks and they will be turned in to the State wildlife agency. They are considered an invasive specie here in South Florida and is a feral population.

They are a nuisance!

Soup time.

jmonroe

• Options

@snakeweasel said:

@graphicguy said:

My sister who lives near Orlando tells people don't move to Florida because the summers are brutal with the heat and humidity. My response is a picture o have of the outside temperature on my dashboard that reads -25.

The fact is here we get our share of hot humid days, not as many as Florida, but we do get them. It's getting to the point where I can't handle the cold nearly as well as I used to but really dont mind the hot weather as much. And as they say, you don't have to shovel sunshine.

With the temps we’ve had for the last week, I’d like to try it for a while. Might not get anywhere but I’d still like to try.

jmonroe

• Options
    I already warned my wife that if I give in and move back to the north country where she wants to go, that in a few years we would probably start snowbirding. Jan-March in someplace like Savannah or Myrtle beach sounds good. Not sure I want to do the full Florida thing, or hang around with all those old people!

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,096
    stickguy said:

Not sure I want to do the full Florida thing, or hang around with all those old people!

But you and your friends will all be that age then too.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,676
    stickguy said:

It’s going up to about 50 here on Thursday so I hope we melt most of the little we have.

How would you like to drive through this:

https://youtu.be/2ETfOJyrtKc

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    edited January 2022
    driver100 said:

Only in Florida....Road rage incident, guy shoots other car right through his own windows: 1 min 18 sec.

Talk about poor control of your weapon. He’s lucky he didn’t shoot himself. Ignoring the illegality of his actions I can’t imagine trying to get your car wrecked by slamming on the brakes or shooting it up.

Once at work our chase driver pulled out a little to close to an oncoming car and the guy followed us onto the highway and did a brake check on us. He was driving a new Jaguar with MD plates. I wouldn’t be taking medical advice from somebody like that.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Welcome to Ohio!

Years back I checked into getting reimbursed for a pothole on I75 between
    Dayton and Cincinnati and for an alignment and a replacement rim
    due to its being slightly off after impact.

You actually file a lawsuit case against the State of Ohio. You are suing them.
    I don't know how it goes from there because I didn't bother.
    I recall some newspaper articles of actual good reporting on the
    problem and the requirement at the time.

IIRC Ohio has leased the turnpike to a company to operate and
    receive the income from the tolls. So I wonder if you have to
    sue that company? Ohio wanted the instant income so they
    leased out the rights.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    Locally, I see people have had decent success suing the City of Cincinnati for pothole damage (or, just getting reimbursed for a claim). Haven't heard of anyone having that success with the state, though.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited January 2022
    The way it supposedly works here is that if you are the first person to report damage from a given pothole, tough luck, the city claims that is not their fault since they didn't know it was there. After that there is some set period of time by which they are supposed to repair it or at least put signage up. If you get damage within that period, you're also out of luck. After that period, supposedly you can file a claim.

In reality all I know is that every winter there are potholes here that don't get repaired until mid-summer. One of the first of the season appeared on a road near me in November and it remains untouched with no signage.

Having worked for the govt here this does not surprise me. I often fantasized about being the boss at one of the Highways Dept branches and convincing the staff to actively be on the lookout for potholes and incentivizing them to get them fixed in a timely way with some sort of reward. I was always amazed at how someone could work there and drive the roads, see the potholes, and do nothing about it.

• Options

@ab348 said:
    But you and your friends will all be that age then too.

Nothing like the pot calling the kettle black. But something tells me he’s hanging his hat on how he thinks and how he drives compared to most old fogies.

If he goes the Myrtle Beach route he’ll probably try to finagle our poster buddy @qbrozen into a good deal for at least a month.

jmonroe

• Options
    ab348 said:

The way it supposedly works here is that if you are the first person to report damage from a given pothole, tough luck, the city claims that is not their fault since they didn't know it was there. After that there is some set period of time by which they are supposed to repair it or at least put signage up. If you get damage within that period, you're also out of luck. After that period, supposedly you can file a claim.

In reality all I know is that every winter there are potholes here that don't get repaired until mid-summer. One of the first of the season appeared on a road near me in November and it remains untouched with no signage.

Having worked for the govt here this does not surprise me. I often fantasized about being the boss at one of the Highways Dept branches and convincing the staff to actively be on the lookout for potholes and incentivizing them to get them fixed in a timely way with some sort of reward. I was always amazed at how someone could work there and drive the roads, see the potholes, and do nothing about it.

I seem to remember reading about lawyers in NYC who report every pothole and sidewalk hazard and then sue the city for not fixing them.

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,280

@driver100 said:

Apparently the guy in the video pulled in front of someone and the guy behind him tailgated. The video guy brake checked and when the road opened up passed the shooter’s car and threw a water bottle. The shooter claims that he thought he was being shot at because of the noise of the water bottle hitting his vehicle so he shot.

Best never to engage. People are nuts

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327

If I could get my wife to agree, I would have a condo in the Phoenix area and a condo in Flagstaff.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    The guy with the gun was already aiming it at the car passing on the right before the water bottle hit.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options

@explorerx4 said:
    The guy with the gun was already aiming it at the car passing on the right before the water bottle hit.

Agreed but that was his claim

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    Don't know what would have happened if the water bottle wasn't thrown.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options

I wonder why he gave them the dashcam footage, or does that help him?
    And, if he thinks he heard a shot, his first instinct is to just fire away!
    He's lucky he didn't shoot his foot off, he just shoots.

• Options
    driver100 said:

I wonder why he gave them the dashcam footage, or does that help him?
    And, if he thinks he heard a shot, his first instinct is to just fire away!
    He's lucky he didn't shoot his foot off, he just shoots.

One of the first things you learn when you learn when and where to use a gun is not only look at your target but look at what's in front and behind your target. There are just too many people in the line of fire that can get hit that it makes it a don't fire situation. Plus he isn't even looking at his intended target as he fires wildly. Not to mention that he shouldn't have had his gun out in the first place. This guy is in big trouble, and he has no one to blame but himself.

• Options
    got ambitious today (plus with the roads still crappy with snow wasn't going anyplace) so banged out the taxes before football started. Got in the zone so finished both fed and state, already efiled Fed and have the state ready to mail tomorrow. Might be the first time I ever got them in before February. Getting about the same modest refund from both as last year which makes sense since nothing much changed!

can't even do the JM creative accounting now that itemized deductions are a lot lower than they used to be. Not a lot of optional stuff left.

nice to have it out of the way though. Can put the refunds into the Maverick fleet fund!

• Options
    Haven’t received any of my official tax documents yet so it will be a while yet for me. I don’t think the Canadian TurboTax software for this year has been released yet anyway.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    US is usually out by now. I sat down last night to organize that and the only document I did not have yet was something that I did not need to report any numbers from. I doubt anything is going to be changing in the code at this point that would impact my return. But I will probably check in a few weeks anyway after doing any software updates and see if the bottom line changes.

I don't get anything fancy at this point (no child or tuition credits or anything like that) so not much can really change.

plus since the IRS is accepting returns, they must not think the rules aren't ready!

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    edited January 2022

Oh boy .. this game just got real interesting.

@stickguy
    I don’t do my own taxes, but do try and follow the codes/rules. One thing I can’t stand is that you can’t deduct more than 10K in property taxes. If it wasn’t for that we would be over the standard deduction.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    yeah, I wrote off the Bengals a little bit too early today!

Our taxes are very boring now. 1 house, 1 job each in state, no kids, and just normal investments.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    Still in OT, but this is by far the worst I've seen Mahomes play.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    OMG. The Bengals are going to the Superbowl.

• Options
    And the Hamilton County which owns the stadium the Bengals play
    in wouldn't even plan a playoff party at the stadium viewing the
    game on the jumbotron, etc.. Said it was too difficult to organize
    crowd control and so on.

LOL. They should have had more faith.

• Options
    Congrats to the Bengals, I'll be rooting for them in the Super Bowl !!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    great game. Bengals looked like toast early but that 2nd half was incredible.

Glad to see fresh blood in the SB too.

• Options

@qbrozen said:
    Still in OT, but this is by far the worst I've seen Mahomes play.

Or the best, depending on what team you are rooting for :)

• Options

Congrats to the Bengals fans.

Where is @graphicguy? Is he biking back to Cincy or is he on his second bottle of Woodford?

jmonroe

• Options
    Some really questionable coaching by KC in that game.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343

And the Hamilton County which owns the stadium the Bengals play
    in wouldn't even plan a playoff party at the stadium viewing the
    game on the jumbotron, etc.. Said it was too difficult to organize
    crowd control and so on.

LOL. They should have had more faith.

Who wants to sit outside in 32F weather to watch the game on a jumbotron, with beers priced at $14?

We were one mile away, with hot pizza and buckets of domestic beer for $13. :D

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited January 2022
    ab348 said:

Some really questionable coaching by KC in that game.

Agree, also one of the best refereed games I have seen. They let them play.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    edited January 2022

The Mahomes QB play reminded me of Grossman playing for the Bears (vs Colts). It was like he was playing for the Colts.