Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Anyone gonna spring $3,500 for the new Apple VR headset?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,369
    When I was a youngster I was in love with Barbara Eden from 'I dream of Genie'. No wonder.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEVHM014cwg
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,340

dino001 said:

stickguy said:

Carvana likely had some duds. But also home runs. What really matters is how they average out in the end!

And IIRC their real profit center was doing financing.

Carvana was a crooked business from the start. They have had their dealer license suspended multiple times by multiple jurisdictions for failure of filing the title/registration paperwork in timely manner (some people would not get their registration for months), in response crying persecution of "disruptor". They did not inspect their cars as they advertised, basically hoping that you won't notice the problems within the guaranteed refund period (7 days of ownership), their pricing algorithm was a complete joke, running up wholesale and retail values beyond ridiculous. They did not properly disclosed nature and extent of relationships with DriveTime, business owned by CEO's father. They were burning cash for most of their existence, their income statements and cash flows are just spooky. They couldn't make GAAP profit even at best of times, i.e. during car shortage and zero interest periods (-$2.63 EPS in 2020, -$1.63 in 2021, so no surprise that we get -$15.74 in 2022). Their balance sheet is currently showing net debt of $7.8B, basically matching market cap, which means shareholder. They burned through billions of cash in last few years. It just amazes me that there is still $7.5B market capitalization on that company. In my opinion it should be around zero.
    I may be misremembering the IRS rules but from my days of running a business I thought you had to show a profit in 3 out of 5 years in order to not be considered a “hobby”. Is that only true for sole proprietors or for corporations too?
    The 3 out of 5 rules only applies to businesses where the profits pass through to the owners personal tax returns, such as sole proprietors, partnerships and the like. It does not apply to businesses like GM or Apple which file their own tax returns.
    Speaking of taxes, last year after doing my own for 50 years I went to a private tax preparer. Unfortunately, the guy turned out to be a flake and so far hasn’t finished last year’s taxes. So I’m looking for a replacement.

Do these commercial preparers like H&R Block offer good value? My taxes are pretty simple these days, mainly just a W2, pensions, social security and minor capital gains (sch. D).
    That depends on what you call a good value and where you get them done. A CPA firm will likely charge you more but places like H&R Block can be pricey especially if they serve a lower economical class. Many of these places hire part timers, retirees and housewives and give them a quick tax course and set them out so be careful. Do your research and see if you can find someone with the IRS AFSP (Annual Filing Season Program) certification which requires taking 16 continuing education credits and passing a detailed IRS test every year. Also know that typically the slowest time of year for these places would be late February through mid March, so they might do a deal on the price at that time.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

My brother filed my federal taxes on January 29th and my refund was electronically deposited to my checking account yesterday. That’s fast! My brother uses turbo-tax. He’s a CPA.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    abacomike said:

My brother filed my federal taxes on January 29th and my refund was electronically deposited to my checking account yesterday. That’s fast! My brother uses turbo-tax. He’s a CPA.

Funny thing is is that I have CPA's as tax clients. Just remember that CPA's tend to specialize in a certain area of accounting and a CPA may not know a lot about taxes. I knew a CPA that was a wiz at cost accounting But the guy couldn't tell the difference between a 1040 and a W2.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 242,036

abacomike said:

Funny thing is is that I have CPA's as tax clients. Just remember that CPA's tend to specialize in a certain area of accounting and a CPA may not know a lot about taxes. I knew a CPA that was a wiz at cost accounting But the guy couldn't tell the difference between a 1040 and a W2.
    Interesting - there was a video op-ed piece on the NY Times website today talking about the multi-billion dollar industry that is Turbo Tax and the like. In many western countries, the gov't sends you the information and you can go onto a website and click "Accept" or "Amend" if there is a change to be made. Takes about 3 minutes.

Apparently, both R and D presidents have been wanting to streamline the tax filing process (a government run process that is truly free for many Americans) since Reagan was in the White House. Good lobbying in the US - as well as some outright deception by the tax preparing companies - has gotten in the way of us having that kind of simplicity here.

Picked up our business taxes today - net income for last year was around $5700, which will transfer to our personal 1040.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,994

@driver100 said:
    @ab348 I saw where you guys got hammered. Do you have AWD on your ATS? Do you get snow tires put on for the winter? Do you have to drive any where?

Where I normally live near Toronto we've only had one snowfall of about 1/2 inch so far this winter. I still prefer being in Florida even though it is in the mid 60s today.....with NO snow!

The last thing we want to hear here in snow country is about how nice it is in Fl. LOL

I used to go home for 2 weeks at Christmas time. The last time was about 6 years ago, we landed at Buffalo airport and there was 2 feet of snow, cars were off in the ditches. A friend picked us up and we drove the 70 miles to where our house is. He didn't have snow tires and we got stuck going up a small hill. Some drunk guys were having fun helping people get out of the snow....and 4 of them starting pushing the car. I felt guilty so got out to help, I am in a light jacket, short sleeve shirt, shoes, pushing the car in the snow in 25F temperatures.
    All I could say why am I doing this....this makes no sense at all.
    And, I haven't gone back between early Nov and April since then. :)

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    After our traditional CPA accountant had a stroke and turned into the Mad Hatter.
    Not his fault but I had to change to someone else after my return had to be revised 5 times in one year.
    I picked out a new CPA and after looking at my statements, he looked at one statement for a few seconds and said this is totally wrong.
    My Mom had passed and all her stuff had to be cashed out and transferred to an estate account.
    One statement which covered from 1992 to 2015 valued everything as of the date of purchase instead of the date of her passing. It would have been a hefty 5 figure taxable bill.
    I called to get a correct statement and as soon as I told them the issue they said they knew about the issue and would send a new corrected statement.
    I figure if I didn't call I never would have gotten the correct statement.
    After that, I have no problem paying an expert tax return person.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,635
    if I had something really tricky going on in a particular year I would get a good pro to do it (and when I was the executor for my sister's estate, I did have someone do the taxes). But for my own stuff, it is pretty vanilla so nothing I am not comfortable doing still.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    @stickguy,
    My taxes always seem to have some wrinkle.
    Last year for example was 2 state return plus county taxes.
    Never had County taxes before.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,128

When I was a youngster I was in love with Barbara Eden from 'I dream of Genie'. No wonder.

Uh, yeah… 😗 She had the moves.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,725
    ab348 said:

Just to make myself feel better by sharing the misery, beginning on Friday night we got hammered by two snowstorms. Between the two of them we got about 2 to 2 1/2 feet of snow where I am, and up in Cape Breton they had over 3 feet and are in a state of emergency. At least our power stayed on and we are mostly plowed out since the equipment was on the roads throughout trying to keep up. The worse part was yesterday after it was over with the residential streets finally getting cleared enough to use which meant constant burying of the ends of driveways. Thankfully a neighbor took mercy and used his snowblower on a lot of driveways near his house, and I have a guy that takes care of the steps and walkways. I still had to dig the end of my driveway out from snowplow banks twice.

They say we should expect rain by the end of the week.

What a wacky winter. All the snow in my area melted and it’s going up to 50 F Saturday. Even up in VT the ground is mostly bare.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

@stickguy,
    My taxes always seem to have some wrinkle.
    Last year for example was 2 state return plus county taxes.
    Never had County taxes before.

I had 2 states last year too. more of an annoyance. That's why I like the tax software. Basically a CPA in my computer. I just answer the questions and enter all the numbers, and it spits out the answer.

• Options
    @stickguy,
    Remember the term GIGO?
    Can the software figure that out? :p
  • Options
    as long as the refund amount looks good, no worries.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,972

Taxes: I still don’t have everything I need to complete mine. I have sometimes had documents show up in the mail as late as March.

Parking: I think a good solution to an ice car parking in an EV station is to siphon their fuel. They obviously don’t need it if they think they drive an EV.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,906
    qbrozen said:

Taxes: I still don’t have everything I need to complete mine. I have sometimes had documents show up in the mail as late as March.

Parking: I think a good solution to an ice car parking in an EV station is to siphon their fuel. They obviously don’t need it if they think they drive an EV.

I know you are kidding so, in that vein, What should happen if an EV is parking in a regular parking spot?

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    There should be equal treatment for gassers.....special spots that EVs can't park in. :(

• Options

How about EVs should go to gas stations and park at the pumps while the owner goes on to browse at the mini mart then go someplace for lunch. Seems fair.

• Options
    stickguy said:

How about EVs should go to gas stations and park at the pumps while the owner goes on to browse at the mini mart then go someplace for lunch. Seems fair.

The lane to get gas is not a parking lot.

• Options
    I finally convinced my wife to let me remove the carpet from our living room. I'm not sure she believed me that there was oak underneath. We almost never use it.

I've been pulling tack strips, tacks and staples for 4 days. :'(

• Options

Neither are charging stations.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,954
    edited February 7

@venture said:
    I finally convinced my wife to let me remove the carpet from our living room. I'm not sure she believed me that there was oak underneath. We almost never use it.

I replaced carpet in a small room at the shore. The tack strips were nailed with ring shank nails (in addition to the nails that come pre installed) and were an absolute bear to pull up (just kept breaking up). That and removing all the staples was worse than laying the new LVP.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options

I hate pulling up carpet for that reason. Though I do have a baseboard popper tool that works pretty good on tack strips too.

• Options
    jwm40517jwm40517 Member Posts: 287
    I have a client that has used Quick books for years but knows nothing about accounting or knows how a balance sheet works. For example, she puts the $5900.00 monthly truck payment in the truck expense account along with fuel and repairs.

I heard a long time ago that having an accounting program did not make you an accountant any than buying a piano makes you a musician.
  • Options
    tjc78 said:

@venture said:

I replaced carpet in a small room at the shore. The tack strips were nailed with ring shank nails (in addition to the nails that come pre installed) and were an absolute bear to pull up (just kept breaking up). That and removing all the staples was worse than laying the new LVP.

I hear you brother!

These tack strips not only have nails they also have extra-long staples that are barely wide enough to get a pair of needle nose pliers in.

Then there's the 3,000 staples they put in to hold the padding. You can see a few to the left of the duck with boots on.

Oh. Yes. I did buy a cheap pair of knee pads before I started.

• Options
    stickguy said:

I hate pulling up carpet for that reason. Though I do have a baseboard popper tool that works pretty good on tack strips too.

Agreed. Removing the carpet and padding was cake.

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,754
    There is always a reminder, be it parking, walking, in a venue.... that there is a small subset of our species that are just thoughtless, entitled, holier than thou (insert any other descriptors that you feel are appropriate) "people."
    One can only hope that they are unhappy in their unhappiness. And that Karma does exist.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    venture said:

I did the same thing here about a year ago. A contractor I used before for some outdoor work mentioned that they are slow for business in the winter and I mentioned I had that job for him to do if he wanted it. He called one day and asked if I still wanted it done, so I told him to stop by. Three guys showed up the next morning and moved all the furniture, pulled the carpet and underpad, pulled up the tack strips and staples, and then I had them install shoe molding around the perimeter where it didn’t have any. They also disposed of everything they pulled up and were out of here by mid-afternoon. Cost me around $350 in worthless Canadian dollars, such a deal!

• Options

Nice looking floors venture.

• Options
    stickguy said:

I'm not being rude by taking an EV charging space away....I just want my own parking area so I get equal treatment.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,972

@venture said:
    I know you are kidding so, in that vein, What should happen if an EV is parking in a regular parking spot?

Not even close to the same thing. Blocking a pump? Sure. Not sure how to quickly drain a battery, though, and repurpose the energy.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,571

There is always a reminder, be it parking, walking, in a venue.... that there is a small subset of our species that are just thoughtless, entitled, holier than thou (insert any other descriptors that you feel are appropriate) "people."
    One can only hope that they are unhappy in their unhappiness. And that Karma does exist.

Last year I was on a business flight and was seated a few rows behind the first class section. A couple boarded and the gentleman proceeded to sit down in an aisle seat in first class while an elderly lady was in the window seat. The woman who accompanied the gentleman loaded her carryon in the overhead and proceeded to tell the elderly woman who was sitting along the aisle she was in the wrong seat. A muted conversation ensued before the woman standing got louder and louder. Eventually an FA came over and he must have confirmed seat assignments were correct because the woman standing got even louder and continued to argue. The elderly woman eventually stood up as if to vacate the seat and she was forcefully told to sit down as she was in the right seat. The boorish woman was then told in a not so hushed tone to sit in her assigned seat, disembark the aircraft, or be forcefully removed for failure to follow instructions. I don't know if she was shocked at the tone, the threat of forceful removal, or both but she retrieved her carryon and took her seat somewhere near the middle of the aircraft without incident.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    ab348 said:

venture said:

I did the same thing here about a year ago. A contractor I used before for some outdoor work mentioned that they are slow for business in the winter and I mentioned I had that job for him to do if he wanted it. He called one day and asked if I still wanted it done, so I told him to stop by. Three guys showed up the next morning and moved all the furniture, pulled the carpet and underpad, pulled up the tack strips and staples, and then I had them install shoe molding around the perimeter where it didn’t have any. They also disposed of everything they pulled up and were out of here by mid-afternoon. Cost me around $350 in worthless Canadian dollars, such a deal!
    Wow! That is a bargain.

• Options
    stickguy said:

Nice looking floors venture.

Thanks. There are a couple of spots where it looks like water damage. If I can't get rid of them it means getting the floor refinished. Not really looking forward to that.

I measured the location of the gigantically long staples, and they are within the confines of 3/4" quarter round or shoe molding. I may not have to spend 3 days getting them out. Time will tell. :)

• Options
    @stickguy, Remember the term GIGO? Can the software figure that out? :p

A program can't figure that out but a good tax pro can look at the result and say "that don't look right" and go back and review.

• Options

Well you usually don't see gas pumps suddenly appearing in parking spaces so....

• Options
    I have a client that has used Quick books for years but knows nothing about accounting or knows how a balance sheet works. For example, she puts the $5900.00 monthly truck payment in the truck expense account along with fuel and repairs. I heard a long time ago that having an accounting program did not make you an accountant any than buying a piano makes you a musician.

Really? I guess I have to return that piano now.

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,754
    pensfan83 said:

Last year I was on a business flight and was seated a few rows behind the first class section. A couple boarded and the gentleman proceeded to sit down in an aisle seat in first class while an elderly lady was in the window seat. The woman who accompanied the gentleman loaded her carryon in the overhead and proceeded to tell the elderly woman who was sitting along the aisle she was in the wrong seat. A muted conversation ensued before the woman standing got louder and louder. Eventually an FA came over and he must have confirmed seat assignments were correct because the woman standing got even louder and continued to argue. The elderly woman eventually stood up as if to vacate the seat and she was forcefully told to sit down as she was in the right seat. The boorish woman was then told in a not so hushed tone to sit in her assigned seat, disembark the aircraft, or be forcefully removed for failure to follow instructions. I don't know if she was shocked at the tone, the threat of forceful removal, or both but she retrieved her carryon and took her seat somewhere near the middle of the aircraft without incident.
    A bully stood up.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,399
    I've told this story before, but back when I was a district judge a lady showed up one afternoon and asked where court was being held. My secretary told her that all the hearings were finished and no other cases were set. The lady went off- "I'm missing work and this is inexcusable and somebody will be responsible for the time I've missed off work!!!"
    I walked out of my office and asked the lady if she has a subpoena. She whipped it out of her purse and slapped it down on the counter. I quickly read it and told her, "This subpoena is for September 24th." "SO?" she huffed. I handed the subpoena back with a big smile and said, "Today is September 23rd."
  • Options
    venture said:

ab348 said:

venture said:

Wow! That is a bargain.
    It was a steal, I agree. I didn’t get a quote in advance because this guy is unbelievable at anything he does and last time he gave good value too. But I expected more.

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,619
    venture said:

————————————————-
    The staples are the worst.

FWIW, our house was build with oak hardwood floors throughout the house except for the kitchen and bathrooms. We’ve replaced all of the carpeting with carpeting and since I pulled up all the carpet I can see where the hardwood floors have never even been walked on. They are absolutely perfect. This Spring I think we are going to have the floors in the living room and dining sanded and stained a walnut color vs. the natural red oak that they are now. I’m choosing the Spring so we can open the sliding door in the dining room and open many windows to get rid of the smell from the stain and varnish. There is quite a smell from that process that I’m well aware of since we’ve gone through that process a couple times with flips.

We’ll be using the same guys we’ve used with the flips because their work is beyond good. When you’re flipping, getting cheap quotes to finish floors and getting poor workmanship is a deal breaker because there is too much room for error and we can’t afford to do it twice.

Just a little note about that. When we used these guys to do the floors the first time one of the first things the real estate agent said was, “these floors are amazing. Who did the refinishing?” When we told her she said, “oh, those guys aren’t cheap but it looks like you got your money’s worth. These floors will definitely help sell this house”.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

————————————————-

FWIW, our house was build with oak hardwood floors throughout the house except for the kitchen and bathrooms. We’ve replaced all of the carpeting with carpeting and since I pulled up all the carpet I can see where the hardwood floors have never even been walked on. They are absolutely perfect. This Spring I think we are going to have the floors in the living room and dining sanded and stained a walnut color vs. the natural red oak that they are now. I’m choosing the Spring so we can open the sliding door in the dining room and open many windows to get rid of the smell from the stain and varnish. There is quite a smell from that process that I’m well aware of since we’ve gone through that process a couple times with flips.

We’ll be using the same guys we’ve used with the flips because their work is beyond good. When you’re flipping, getting cheap quotes to finish floors and getting poor workmanship is a deal breaker because there is too much room for error and we can’t afford to do it twice.

Just a little note about that. When we used these guys to do the floors the first time one of the first things the real estate agent said was, “these floors are amazing. Who did the refinishing?” When we told her she said, “oh, those guys aren’t cheap but it looks like you got your money’s worth. These floors will definitely help sell this house”.

jmonroe
    It looks like I may have to get the floor refinished. It's good enough for me, but not for "you know who".

How long does it take to dry and cure? I agree that this isn't the best time to be doing it.

Maybe I will get an agreement to wait until summer. (Maybe she will forget).

• Options
    When the carpet was pulled up in my place the floors were in really great shape for the most part. Mine are maple and have the original 1950s shellac and paste wax finish which gives a nice warm look to them. The story is that they were only exposed from 1955 when new to around 1970 or so when the carpet was put in, which makes some sense given their condition. The only issue is that in the bedroom a previous owner must have had an area rug under the bed so around the perimeter they decided to put varnish or varathane on the exposed part, which doesn't look horrible but is noticeable. Not bad enough to get it refinished with all the upset that would cause but you can see it.

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,167
    All this talk about wood floors under the carpet is discouraging me. When we lifted the
    carpet after buying the house, all we found was concrete. We are built on a slab.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,466
    ab348 said:

When the carpet was pulled up in my place the floors were in really great shape for the most part. Mine are maple and have the original 1950s shellac and paste wax finish which gives a nice warm look to them. The story is that they were only exposed from 1955 when new to around 1970 or so when the carpet was put in, which makes some sense given their condition. The only issue is that in the bedroom a previous owner must have had an area rug under the bed so around the perimeter they decided to put varnish or varathane on the exposed part, which doesn't look horrible but is noticeable. Not bad enough to get it refinished with all the upset that would cause but you can see it.

Maple floors!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

ab348 said:

Maple floors!
    The floor in my kitchen is maple.

The living room, dining room, and 3 bedrooms are oak and all were carpeted over.

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,619
    venture said:

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

————————————————-

jmonroe
    It looks like I may have to get the floor refinished. It's good enough for me, but not for "you know who".

How long does it take to dry and cure? I agree that this isn't the best time to be doing it.

Maybe I will get an agreement to wait until summer. (Maybe she will forget).

————————————————
    To do a house it took 1 1/2 weeks. Lots of sanding then 1 coat of hand rubbed stain which took a day to dry followed by 3 coats of varnish with a day to dry between coats with light sanding after each coat of varnish. Since you’re doing a single room they should be able to sand and stain in one day if you choose staining otherwise the first coat of varnish. Then a couple days for the rest of the varnishing.

If your results are even close to what we got you won’t be sorry you did it.

You’ve been married long enough to know she will never forget, so get that thought out of your head. :'(

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options

If the floors are in pretty good shape and just need a small amount of refinishing there are places that offer less invasive options (I think it was called dustless refinish) that are much quicker.

We redid my “flip” (daughter and I redid the house her then boyfriend bought where they bother lived) and had the floors done. That was one option but they were too far gone (wear and cat pee) so did them all the way. Guy we found did a great job and even had to replace some boards. I think end to end (house was empty) took about a week.

IIRC the dustless was more of a scuff and stain (big scotchbright pad then stain and poly) instead of taking it down to bare wood.

• Options

Quick google to find a place that does it. https://www.mrsandless.com/how-we-do-it.php