Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,981

Right now these cars are listed for 2% off, but I am willing to wait to see if the offers get better.
    16% off something real is better than paying up front for something that doesn't exist. ;)

We will see :p

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options

@oldfarmer50 man o man wow por billy. love his comershials. everytime I am upstate at whair my older brother lives those comershials are so funny.

I wouldn't feel sorry for Billy, he has more money than he'll ever need. He just got caught doing what almost every dealer does to some extent.

He does donate a lot of money to women's causes. I don't know if that makes up for the sleazy hard sell he uses. I think I mentioned here that my BIL claimed he needed a bath after visiting Billy's Nissan store.

Billy can donate lots of money...he is worth $100 million. Not much is known about him, born in 57, he took marketing at Syracuse University, went there on a football scholarship, he is divorced and has a son who now has some dealerships. Billy spends a ton in advertising and his employees like him because he makes them lots of money.

I agree, he was caught doing something a lot of dealerships do, and there was a technicality involved, where he would replace a car that was etched and stolen....which was considered to be insurance which was sold without an insurance license.

• Options
    fordfoolfordfool Member Posts: 240
    driver100 said:

fordfool said:

tjc78 said:

@nyccarguy
    We sleep with the windows open maybe 5 or 10 times a year.  I'm a wuss and in my house it's usually either heat or AC running.

Same here in Buffalo. I think Spring and Fall each last about three days. ;)
    So, Fordfool, I gotta ask you.....since you are an American citizen and can live anywhere in this great nation...........why, oh why, why do you live in Buffalo?
    I went to college in Buffalo, met my wife here (she's a Buffalo native), and after stints in Kentucky, Wyoming, and Indiana, we came back to teach at the University for 36 years, retiring five years ago. We both have family here and our daughter lives nearby.

We used to have a summer place on your side of the Lake on Papineau Lake near Maple Leaf but the drive became a bit much. Now we rent a place in Long Beach near Port Colborne. And we enjoy visiting Ellicottville in the summer. Great Main Street shopping.
  • Options
    FF, One of my tennis friends in Florida is in Florida for about 8 months, then returns to Buffalo area to stay for 4 months....they enjoy going back to see friends and family.

Like I said before, being a snowbird really has nice advantages, but the ideal life would be a winter place in Florida, and a nice condo in Ellicottville to stay during the summer - that can be rented out to skiers in the winter.

Ellicottville is a nice little town to wander around in,

One thing I have learned in life is it doesn't matter as much where you live, it is the people you know and the activities you can do that make a place enjoyable.

• Options
    I was sent this video of truckers view of the road. These scenes are like everyday driving in Florida, except it is a lot busier here. Yesterday we drove down I-75 and I just stayed in the right or middle lane, but I really felt like I was on a race track, with cars jockeying for position, weaving from lane to lane to try and move up one car.

https://youtu.be/dyyS4I0VmRU

Mike doesn't see this but he is in an area where everyone is 65+ so they aren't as reckless, OR he is just so used to it it doesn't phase him.

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    limo driver
    ab348 said:

driver100 said:

When you live in the country it is a long day if you don't go somewhere or see someone...it isn't as ideal as it sounds. Hope your friend isn't disappointed.

Oh, I think that is virtually inevitable. Aside from the sudden division between them and their son whom I always found to be a remarkable young fellow, which I find very troubling, to me the entire thing seems headed in the wrong direction. They are 20-30 minutes from the nearest town with anything at all (a small food store, pharmacy, gas station, bank, liquor store) and about 45 minutes to a somewhat bigger town that has a hospital and some other services. It is really country. In 2 or 3 years when his wife's parents die there is really no reason for them to be there. But then the money would have been spent on the huge shop project and other things, so they will be trapped there because there is no way they would find a buyer willing to pay anything close to what it cost. I think he knows that already but sees no alternative. His wife is a vibrant lady, full of energy, 20 years his junior, and he feels compelled to do this because of her need to be with her parents now. I suspect once a few more years go after they pass on, she will not want to be married to a guy pushing 70 who is slowing down. There is a coldness to her decision-making I have seen over the years - she was behind the son's eviction - so it would not shock me if she just decided to split up when it suits her and take half of his government pension and half of the assets which he will be unable to sell for anything what they spent on them. I can't say that to him, of course. It just seems like a tragedy waiting to unfold.
    AB, the way you describe that situation has the feel of the set up to a good novel. Your writing flows very well. I am thinking you would make an excellent writer.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,968
    edited March 2017
    jmonroe said:
    imidazol97 The reality is I probably cannot buy another Malibu because I can't get the standard engine with all the safety features. The safety features require an LT2 and the 2.0 T is required. So I'll be shopping other cars unless GM changes their option logic
    Imid, what safety measures would you be missing with a standard model? When you gave the measurement chart I believe one model was the Passat SE. That car seemed to have a huge backseat area, but I think most of the cars were pretty close on the chart. I have never thought about what difference 1/2 inch of legroom or hip room really means in the big scheme of things...maybe it is HUUUUUUUUGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEE....like Billy says! We need a fair size and comfortable backseat because we retired older people go out a lot with other older retired people. But, I would sacrifice a bit of room to get the car I really want. In the CR reviews they make it sound like rear legroom should be your #1 consideration.
    I think Billy has a dealership near Buffalo. You could stop in on your way home. If you get in good with him he might fly you back to Florida on his jet. As to leg room I know a woman at work bought an SUV from him and claimed it was so rusted underneath that it was unsafe to drive. Just think how the lack of floors would improve leg room all around...not to mention the ability to assist braking by dragging your feet. ;)
    He has 18 dealerships in NY state. I gave the link before.....in 2015 there was a lawsuit filed for $1.6 million for adding etching to cars to prevent theft. It was a scam so each customer who paid for it was reimbursed $160. > FUCCILLO DEALERS LAWSUIT Some 5,320 car buyers who bought the $295 theft-protection package from Fuccillo dealerships. Seems the etching was only worth about $40. Poor Billy, but thanks for the suggestion of shopping there.
    Billy's VIN etching scam wasn't any worse than what many dealers pull for various mop & glo services. One of my relatives always falls for them and he never shops at Billy's place. In Fuccillo's case his obnoxious commercials brought him to the attention of an ambitious Attorney General who likes to make headlines. Speaking of worthless services, I was listening to Dave Ramsey on the radio and he stated the estimate payout on extended warranties is about 12%. Meaning that for every dollar they take in, statistically they figure they will only have to pay 12 cents actually fixing stuff that breaks. I always thought that instead of buying a $1500 car warranty it would be better to put aside the money and use it when then need arose. Of course you are taking the chance that you'll be the one to get the $10,000 repair bill.
    The problem I fear is that if you get the one with the $10,000 repair bill that's when you get the warranty company to dig in their heels and make up an excuse to deny the claim. So you are better off not paying for the warranty either way.
    Or you could do what we did for many years. Whenever I was offered an extended warranty I refused it but put that amount into a designated savings account. I can't remember exactly when I started doing this but it had to be in the early 70's. It didn't make any difference what I bought, if an extended warranty was offered that account got a deposit bump. We dealt with a local savings and loan for many years and got to know the people that worked there and the woman that we dealt with knew why we had this particular account. It got to the point when Mrs. j went to make a deposit, the woman would say, "Oh how nice. What new appliance did you get this time"? If I ever had to fix something that was out of warranty, Mrs. j went to the bank and made a withdrawal to cove the repair. Over the 40 plus years we had that account I can only remember having to make 2 withdrawals. Maybe, $400 total. When we stopped doing business with that savings and loan when they were taken over by a larger bank about 6 years ago, that account had a little less than $9,000 dollars in it. Since I never paid attention to that account because Mrs. j did all the work I was pretty surprised by that amount. Over the years Mrs. j kept telling how it was growing (mostly due to refused extended car warranties) but it just never registered. Not wanting to let that go by, of course she had to say something like, "see, even when I tell you some important stuff, you don't listen to me". FWIW, when we stopped doing business with that old savings and loan and went to a different bank, we never set up that type of account again. Mrs. j said she was tired of playing that game. When I think about it, that would have been a nice account by now if it had the '12 Subie and '15 Genny refused warranty account bump. It's all her fault. :@ jmonroe
    As I was getting through this story, I figured you were going to say you built up enough to buy a new $40k car in cash. Only $9k? I would have that with just the last 4-5 car purchases given that extended warranties are usually about $1500-$2500. 

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,448
    @abacomike - I could read the joy & happiness from your post!  I'm glad you went and took that's Fiat Spyder for a ride & enjoyed yourself!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    nyccarguy said:
    @abacomike - I could read the joy & happiness from your post!  I'm glad you went and took that's Fiat Spyder for a ride & enjoyed yourself!
    Thanks, Bradd.  It sure brought back memories when I had that TR6 Roadster.  These roadsters are/were designed to provide the driver with a sense and feeling/experience of openness and freedom, similar to the experience of riding a motorcycle - but lots less dangerous.  These roadsters were meant to be driven with the top down, to be sure.

Yep, a bit of nostalgia!   B)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,161
    edited March 2017
    driver100 said:

The seller was a guy who was 82, and his 34 year old girlfriend was pushing him to buy a condo in Florida. I often wonder how that fellow did with his young girlfriend.

Probably better than my father-in-law with the younger woman who caught him when he was 65 and over after his wife died. She was only 5 years older than his older child. In my opinion, she manipulated everything against his children and in favor of herself and her 3 children. Amazingly all the money disappeared, disappointing the two who had sucked up to her, a grandchild and a son. In my opinion she was a black widow as well. He died at 83.

I'm always suspicious of autumn spring marriages/romances.

What made me remember this is the talk of buying houses and selling to move to distant rural locations. In this case, the step-mother's sons even got the two houses early on when FIL moved into rentals. He had his house and his father's house that we near each other in a small rural Ohio town.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,110

Probably better than my father-in-law with the younger woman who caught him when he was 65 and over after his wife died. She was only 5 years older than his older child. In my opinion, she manipulated everything against his children and in favor of herself and her 3 children. Amazingly all the money disappeared, disappointing the two who had sucked up to her, a grandchild and a son. In my opinion she was a black widow as well. He died at 83.

I'm always suspicious of autumn spring marriages/romances.

I think that happens a lot even if it isn't autumn/spring relationships. It's certainly what happened to my dad after my mom passed away. A couple of years after that happened he ran into the arms of a lady not all that much younger than him whom he knew from his work, who was a widow with 3 grown sons. While my dad wasn't a rich man he had some assets, all of which disappeared within a few years as she convinced him to bankroll one of her son's delusions of grandeur. All of my siblings except one saw it happening but could do nothing about it. One of my brothers went the other way and tried to become close to her and insisted on defending her actions to the rest of us, which caused some division unfortunately. Once dad had a couple of small strokes everything was in her control. In the end when he eventually died none of us got anything as she had succeeded in getting him to rewrite his will at some point. Nobody knows what she walked away with.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,161
    edited March 2017
    ab348 said:

All of my siblings except one saw it happening but could do nothing about it. One of my brothers went the other way and tried to become close to her and insisted on defending her actions to the rest of us, which caused some division unfortunately.

Same scenario here. One son thought he'd suck up and get the share of inheritance the other two daughters didn't get. In the end, black widow had moved all monies and brother didn't even get enough to buy a used car for his twin sons that he had expected to get. Money was split between him and a granddaughter.

Poetic justice was that the step-mother forwarded his email begging her for a little bit more money so he could at least get a car to the full email list of her kids and his kids and grandaughter. (Brother's wife was the greedy driving force behind his stupidity and blindness. I was the one who kept telling my wife what she was doing behind the scenes along with the step-mother. I was right.)

FIL was scared to death of having to go into a nursing home in the future as his health broke. He had put both his own father and mother into homes, and it wasn't pretty. So he wanted someone, anyone, to take care of him as he got older. She didn't take care of his diabetes. She didn't have him getting PSA tests for years. Something about insurance wouldn't pay for the PSA test. When he finally had a PSA, it was far over 1000. It had already spread to his bones. He hadn't died early enough, so, in my opinion, she had tried to help mother nature.

I considered using an investigator to see what she had done through the years. But it wouldn't result in a recovery, we didn't need any money, and I felt I already knew what had been done.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I usually have my little routine on Sundays....,Costco to gas up and pick up paper goods.....have dinner with my son.

Yesterday I got something in the mail from Costco stating I can just go to a GOOGLE site for Costco and order the same paper goods and have them delivered to my door. I know Amazon is in that business....didn't realize Costco was doing it, too.

On a more gullible note and an exercise in ostentatiousness, I was sent an ad for a 14K Gold Mastercard (supposedly made of real gold). Yearly fee to use it.....$1,000.

I'm wondering how many people think that card would be a good idea for them?
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    houdini1 said:

limo driver

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

When you live in the country it is a long day if you don't go somewhere or see someone...it isn't as ideal as it sounds. Hope your friend isn't disappointed.

Oh, I think that is virtually inevitable. Aside from the sudden division between them and their son whom I always found to be a remarkable young fellow, which I find very troubling, to me the entire thing seems headed in the wrong direction. They are 20-30 minutes from the nearest town with anything at all (a small food store, pharmacy, gas station, bank, liquor store) and about 45 minutes to a somewhat bigger town that has a hospital and some other services. It is really country. In 2 or 3 years when his wife's parents die there is really no reason for them to be there. But then the money would have been spent on the huge shop project and other things, so they will be trapped there because there is no way they would find a buyer willing to pay anything close to what it cost. I think he knows that already but sees no alternative. His wife is a vibrant lady, full of energy, 20 years his junior, and he feels compelled to do this because of her need to be with her parents now. I suspect once a few more years go after they pass on, she will not want to be married to a guy pushing 70 who is slowing down. There is a coldness to her decision-making I have seen over the years - she was behind the son's eviction - so it would not shock me if she just decided to split up when it suits her and take half of his government pension and half of the assets which he will be unable to sell for anything what they spent on them. I can't say that to him, of course. It just seems like a tragedy waiting to unfold.
    AB, the way you describe that situation has the feel of the set up to a good novel. Your writing flows very well. I am thinking you would make an excellent writer.
    Yeh, I can't wait to hear the next chapter when she runs off with the young farmers son who lives next door :@

• Options
    edited March 2017
    About this remarrying and kids getting left out of the will, this is one idea you may consider.

We spent about 2 hours at the lawyers doing our wills, we got up and shook hands and then I had a question before we left. I asked the lawyer, what happens if I go first, and my wife meets some 24 year old stud, and he takes control of everything, and the kids (3 grown adults) get nothing? The lawyer said, it happens a lot.

So, I thought up this plan, if one of us goes first, the kids get a payout at that time....not as much as if both go as one of us still needs enough to live on. At least we know we did what we could for "our" own children, and not a black widow/widower :@

• Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,166
    edited March 2017
    qbrozen said:

As I was getting through this story, I figured you were going to say you built up enough to buy a new $40k car in cash. Only $9k? I would have that with just the last 4-5 car purchases given that extended warranties are usually about $1500-$2500. 

Not necessarily, if you used this account to cover repairs, especially if you kept your cars good time past the warranty. IIRC, J. has also had an engine blowup on a Hyundai (XG300?), which should have been covered by the std. warranty, but was denied by them. If it was paid from this account, it would be at least couple of grand out. 9k surplus looks quite good to me, not a proof, but more like illustration of the extended warranty statistics.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    True, it is a good idea for JMonroe to not spend the money on warranties since he works on his own cars and they deny him the coverage anyway!

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I've seen the thought of an inheritance down the road turn very ugly multiple times. Personally, I think you should be upfront ahead of time with your kids on what's going to happen. I also think if you want to provide them a nice inheritance, it may be more valuable to give them some of it earlier, both for you and for them.

As for where to live, heck I've lived in many places and have yet to find nirvana. Everywhere I've been has good and bad. I think that if you like a place, over time you just kind of put the drawbacks in the back of your mind somewhere and can actually get a bit defensive when someone comes from elsewhere and points one out. For many, the best place is where your friends and family are. But society has become mobile, so that is often not that feasible anymore. Now snowbirds; some people really like that if they can afford it, but others may miss their community back home or get too nervous on what is happening at the place that is vacant. Like Sly & the Family Stone said, "different strokes for different folks" :p

• Options
    At first you worry about your other home, and then after a year or two you just let it go. Something can happen anyway and if it does most things can be replaced. I don't know what they could get from our main home, maybe a few TVs and computers.

I think of travelling in Europe or somewhere can be risky. Then we get creamed about 15 minutes from home! :@

• Options
    Just picked up that gift bottle of WOODFORD RESERVE Kentucky Straight Bourbon.  It's 90.4 proof - WOW!  When I get home I will try a sip.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    edited March 2017
    I was visiting several dealerships in last couple of weeks to finally narrow down my coming next car. Not yet 100 percent decided, but it's not the point. I'm considering Volvo V60 T6 R, BMW 430/440 Grand Coupe and just crossed out Mini Clubman S and Lexus CT200h. I saw one dealer of each brand, spent some time talking and driving vehicles most similar to one I would order. Here is the rub - I left my name, email, phone number with a clear suggestion I would like them to follow up, except for Lexus, where I told them not to bother. I made it clear, I was still in a selection process, but this Spring was most likely time. I also asked the Volvo guy to check up US inventory for a possible match for that V60. T6 is small volume and red is even more rare, but if there was one put in front of me with right numbers, who knows. It's just a few days for calendar Spring to start. I was hoping for at least a thank you email with all phone numbers, etc. I said that much. Guess who followed up - Lexus manager. He wrote and then called. I had to crush his spirit. Rest of them? Nothing.

I really don't get it. Seems like even upmarket brands sales people seem to be completely uninterested in something that's not an instant gratification. Looks like customer development is completely unknown to them. Or perhaps I wasn't dressed properly, or said wrong things. I don't know. I did try to estalish enough crediblity, mentioning my wagon and the fact I bought it using Euro delivery. Still crickets. What gives?

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Was out and on the busiest section of what passes for an expressway around here (4 lanes each way near a large shopping mall and major highway interchange) I see red brake lights on most cars up ahead. Uh-oh. I catch up to the pack of slowing cars and see why. A Lexus ES is trundling along about 15mph below the limit trying to get from the left side over into the shopping mall exit as traffic all around scrambles to avoid both him and the chain reaction he was causing. I am heading there too so eventually I get alongside him. The driver was a wizened old fellow, had to be mid-80s or older,. hunched forward and barely able to peer over the steering wheel. Someone I presume was his wife is riding shotgun. The Lexus ES is truly the new Buick Park Avenue!

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,507
    dino001 said:

I really don't get it. Seems like even upmarket brands sales people seem to be completely uninterested in something that's not an instant gratification. Looks like customer development is completely unknown to them. Or perhaps I wasn't dressed properly, or said wrong things. I don't know. I did try to estalish enough crediblity, mentioning my wagon and the fact I bought it using Euro delivery. Still crickets. What gives?

Most of the people who post here are professionals of one sort or another -- records are kept, lists are made, follow-ups are done.

Then there are the car salespeople. They're cut from different cloth. Making lists and following up don't appear to be their thing. If they can't get it sold in 24-48 hours, you're off the radar.

I was pleased to find a different sort of salesperson when I bought our Forester recently, but I'm very much of the opinion that he's the exception rather than the rule.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Most of the people who post here are professionals of one sort or another -- records are kept, lists are made, follow-ups are done.

Then there are the car salespeople. They're cut from different cloth. Making lists and following up don't appear to be their thing. If they can't get it sold in 24-48 hours, you're off the radar.

I was pleased to find a different sort of salesperson when I bought our Forester recently, but I'm very much of the opinion that he's the exception rather than the rule.

Yeah, it's fine when you sell stereos, TVs, or even basic furniture. Or even run-the-mills family vehicles. Sell today, or move on. One could expect a bit more from Volvo or BMW salesperson. Seems too much to expect.

I guess their stance is I'm here, you call me when ready, not the other way around. More annoying is six months later you get a call "sir, I got your number from my manager, we have some specials, come in". What?!? Now? I just bought something, but your place couldn't be bothered, when I was on the lookout.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    Most of the people who post here are professionals of one sort or another -- records are kept, lists are made, follow-ups are done. Then there are the car salespeople. They're cut from different cloth. Making lists and following up don't appear to be their thing. If they can't get it sold in 24-48 hours, you're off the radar. I was pleased to find a different sort of salesperson when I bought our Forester recently, but I'm very much of the opinion that he's the exception rather than the rule.
    You are correct in your assessment of car salesmen.  Follow-up ends once the"survey" has been returned.  I haven't heard word one from my dealership after the survey was returned.  But, since I have had no problems whatsoever with the new 740i, I have had no reason to contact the dealership.  I'm one of those happy campers - thank the Lord!   ;)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I think they hear more than a week and who knows if they'll even be there by then!
    When I was shopping, every time I went back -- if it was more than a few weeks -- each dealer had a new crop of sales personnel.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    Now, more importantly, my assessment of "Woodford Reserve" 90.4 proof.  Outstanding!  This is one terrific Bourbon in my opinion.  After 5 "sips" of this liquor, I'm beginning to forget what my children's names are and where they live.  This is one smooth Bourbon.  I'm happy - happier than I've been in years - all because of a great Bourbon.  God Bless Woodford Reserve!!!  :D

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    edited March 2017
    But after you showed up shopping for one but not getting it "today" for whatever reason, you would at least expect a periodic call/email until you told them you were done for a moment. That's what I don't get here. They sit all day, plenty of time when nobody is bothering them, what do they do? Call people from some BS prospect list they got from their manager (got plenty of those), but not the guy who was there three days ago, gave them all data and actually hinted for a follow up. That's what beats me.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    abacomike said:

Now, more importantly, my assessment of "Woodford Reserve" 90.4 proof.  Outstanding!  This is one terrific Bourbon in my opinion.  After 5 "sips" of this liquor, I'm beginning to forget what my children's names are and where they live.  This is one smooth Bourbon.  I'm happy - happier than I've been in years - all because of a great Bourbon.  God Bless Woodford Reserve!!!  :D

Take care of that liver!
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    suydam said:

I think they hear more than a week and who knows if they'll even be there by then!
    When I was shopping, every time I went back -- if it was more than a few weeks -- each dealer had a new crop of sales personnel.

That's generally true in typical Honda/Chevy superstore, but BMW/Volvo stores have much more stable staff. My salesman from five ya is still there. I went to a different store, so I keep my salesman goodwill well wet.

BTW, each time they introduced me to their mgr. No difference in the outcome. Only Lexus, the one I don't want, lived up to its supposed market position.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    Man these new (to me) forums are brutal to navigate. ANYWAY!
    New car time is coming. I have a 2011 Kia Optima SX. It was quick enough with the turbo, big enough sedan, nice tech and features (even ventilated seats... ohhh fancy) But it has a few issues I want to avoid this time: Mainly...It's loud. Road noise, harsh ride on the 19" wheels, wind noise.

I want quiet, quick, smooth (not floaty) and nice tech. I'm also thinking the SUV route is a good way to go this time. I am planning to lease.

Has to fit 2 kids in the back by the way.

Looking at the new Volvo XC60... gorgeous looking inside and out:

Possibly the Alfa Romeo Stelvio ... again looks amazing, but concerned about reliability even more with this:

If those are both absurdly expensive or unreliable as 1st year models... my value picks are the Lincoln MXK... which is a big bigger than I need but it's fast and luxurious and has a great price. Or the upcoming new Mazda CX-5 if they really did quiet it down from the previous version.

I know the new Q5 is coming too, probably will check that out. Not really feeling the XT5 or any of the BMW offerings. Maybe should check the F-Pace?

Anything else a MUST SEE in this segment given the requirements?
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,706
    dino001 said:

I was visiting several dealerships in last couple of weeks to finally narrow down my coming next car. Not yet 100 percent decided, but it's not the point. I'm considering Volvo V60 T6 R, BMW 430/440 Grand Coupe and just crossed out Mini Clubman S and Lexus CT200h. I saw one dealer of each brand, spent some time talking and driving vehicles most similar to one I would order. Here is the rub - I left my name, email, phone number with a clear suggestion I would like them to follow up, except for Lexus, where I told them not to bother. I made it clear, I was still in a selection process, but this Spring was most likely time. I also asked the Volvo guy to check up US inventory for a possible match for that V60. T6 is small volume and red is even more rare, but if there was one put in front of me with right numbers, who knows. It's just a few days for calendar Spring to start. I was hoping for at least a thank you email with all phone numbers, etc. I said that much. Guess who followed up - Lexus manager. He wrote and then called. I had to crush his spirit. Rest of them? Nothing.

I've told of my similar experience with the Ford dealer to the point of boredom. Maybe they pegged you as a stroke or grinder and didn't want to waste time for a mini. It's almost as if they have developed the low pressure approach to the point of apathy.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,349
    @dash5, CX-5 is a class smaller than the others you mentioned. What is the Mercedes equivalent?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    dash5 said:

Man these new (to me) forums are brutal to navigate. ANYWAY!
    New car time is coming. I have a 2011 Kia Optima SX. It was quick enough with the turbo, big enough sedan, nice tech and features (even ventilated seats... ohhh fancy) But it has a few issues I want to avoid this time: Mainly...It's loud. Road noise, harsh ride on the 19" wheels, wind noise.

I want quiet, quick, smooth (not floaty) and nice tech. I'm also thinking the SUV route is a good way to go this time. I am planning to lease.

Has to fit 2 kids in the back by the way.

Looking at the new Volvo XC60... gorgeous looking inside and out:

Possibly the Alfa Romeo Stelvio ... again looks amazing, but concerned about reliability even more with this:

If those are both absurdly expensive or unreliable as 1st year models... my value picks are the Lincoln MXK... which is a big bigger than I need but it's fast and luxurious and has a great price. Or the upcoming new Mazda CX-5 if they really did quiet it down from the previous version.

I know the new Q5 is coming too, probably will check that out. Not really feeling the XT5 or any of the BMW offerings. Maybe should check the F-Pace?

Anything else a MUST SEE in this segment given the requirements?

Acura RDX, Infiniti QX50?

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    dash5 said:
    Man these new (to me) forums are brutal to navigate. ANYWAY! New car time is coming. I have a 2011 Kia Optima SX. It was quick enough with the turbo, big enough sedan, nice tech and features (even ventilated seats... ohhh fancy) But it has a few issues I want to avoid this time: Mainly...It's loud. Road noise, harsh ride on the 19" wheels, wind noise. I want quiet, quick, smooth (not floaty) and nice tech. I'm also thinking the SUV route is a good way to go this time. I am planning to lease. Has to fit 2 kids in the back by the way. Looking at the new Volvo XC60... gorgeous looking inside and out: Possibly the Alfa Romeo Stelvio ... again looks amazing, but concerned about reliability even more with this: If those are both absurdly expensive or unreliable as 1st year models... my value picks are the Lincoln MXK... which is a big bigger than I need but it's fast and luxurious and has a great price. Or the upcoming new Mazda CX-5 if they really did quiet it down from the previous version. I know the new Q5 is coming too, probably will check that out. Not really feeling the XT5 or any of the BMW offerings. Maybe should check the F-Pace? Anything else a MUST SEE in this segment given the requirements?
    I'd be interested in your assessment of the Alfa Romeo!  I've heard some positive feedback about that car.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,968
    dino001 said:
    Not necessarily, if you used this account to cover repairs, especially if you kept your cars good time past the warranty. IIRC, J. has also had an engine blowup on a Hyundai (XG300?), which should have been covered by the std. warranty, but was denied by them. If it was paid from this account, it would be at least couple of grand out. 9k surplus looks quite good to me, not a proof, but more like illustration of the extended warranty statistics.
    But he said he has only drawn $400 out of it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Re experiences with dealers not calling you back. Interestingly Lexus also kept calling me even though I told them the lack of blind spot Warning and rear collision a,wet crossed the 200h off my list. They finally stopped calling when I told them I bought another car.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,596
    Mercedes GLC is supposed to be the cream of this crop. The CX5 review I read indicated huge improvement in road noise. Very quiet now. Not sure when the Volvo actually hits though, but they did fine introducing the 90 when it came out. The Alfa, on your own there.

the F Pace is cool, but on the tight side I think.

QX50 infinity is pending a redesign. The current one goes way back.

New Tiguan is going to be quite a bit bigger. supposed to be nice.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    stickguy said:

Mercedes GLC is supposed to be the cream of this crop. The CX5 review I read indicated huge improvement in road noise. Very quiet now. Not sure when the Volvo actually hits though, but they did fine introducing the 90 when it came out. The Alfa, on your own there.

I think the CX-5 would be significantly slower than any of those too. The only one with a non-turbo 4-banger.

• Options

@dash5, CX-5 is a class smaller than the others you mentioned. What is the Mercedes equivalent?

Yah I can deal with the CX-5 size I think, I'm pretty sure it's not too much smaller than the Volvo? But not positive. I do like the look of it.
    Mercedes has the GLC, am I crazy to think that MB's just get really pricey when you add options? I tend to like my cars fairly well equipped. I like the GLC interior I'm just not sure I'd pay more for it over the others I mentioned.
    dino001 said:

Acura RDX, Infiniti QX50?

Yes good call on the RDX, I did check that out. It's also on my value list. I really like the size of it. It's just a bit bland I think.
    abacomike said:

I'd be interested in your assessment of the Alfa Romeo!  I've heard some positive feedback about that car.

Yeah man they look great and are definitely getting good buzz. Would be cool to get one for sure... my only concern is the reliability and cost to own on them. I doubt I can afford the quadrifoglio haha, but the base seems sweet too.

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,994
    abacomike said:

You prompted me to do the same, with ice and water. I'm smiling now. B)

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

A few other bourbons you might like if you like Woodford. Michters, Basil Hayden, Jefferson Reserve......
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,946
    suydam said:
    Take care of that liver!
    Buzz kill!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,946
    A few other bourbons you might like if you like Woodford. Michters, Basil Hayden, Jefferson Reserve......
    You Are all making me thirsty. This sangria the wife made is good, but no bourbon. 

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    B) sda said:
    You prompted me to do the same, with ice and water. I'm smiling now. B)
    Smiling is great, isn't it?!!!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    edited March 2017
    GG, you sure are a great connoisseur of Bourbons - now you need to acquire that same skill in choosing and driving good automobiles - you rightfully gave up Cadillacs and GM products - and have now acquired a taste for premium Japanese products - vis a vis Infiniti!  You are becoming a true Mavin in car ownership!  :D

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    OK, I've made my decision!  Of all the Bourbons I've ingested in my long, yet troubled life, this Woodford Reserve "takes the cake!"  I've completely forgotten the names of my children and will say "NO" the next time they ask me for money!!!  There, I feel better already!!!  :D

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    stickguy said:

Yeah I read the same about the CX-5, seems like they worked hard on making it quieter. It will be slower than any of the others I would think but also a lot cheaper.

Volvo is supposed to go in production in April I've heard. Not sure how long that means for any to be available but I'm not in a huge rush. I would wait on that. It really looks nice. Assuming they wont over charge for it.

Might have to look at the GLC, just to give it a chance. I love the interior on the c-class and I'm sure it's really similar. Plus I've always had a thing for MB hah.

The Alfa... yeah that's one of those "if the stars align" cars for me. Meaning it got great reviews, a long term test case, leased well... and forced me into an emotional purchase!

• Options
    abacomike said:
    OK, I've made my decision!  Of all the Bourbons I've ingested in my long, yet troubled life, this Woodford Reserve "takes the cake!"  I've completely forgotten the names of my children and will say "NO" the next time they ask me for money!!!  There, I feel better already!!!  :D
    I even forgot who I impregnated to create these nameless children - no more money for them - at least until I'm dead!!!   :D

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,507
    Well, this took a turn.

Either way, enjoy!
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester