Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,984
    Before I got the Elantra I was going to look at the Optima and was dreading going to that Kia dealer.   

Were we live there is certainly no shortage of dealers.   Heck we had even more 10 years ago. Think of how many GM and Chrysler/Plymouth dealers are gone.  

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,712
    well, I never went to them, so didn't matter. My one and only Plymouth was a 1995 Voyager that I got at the now long gone Berlin C-P.

Cherry hill, never going near there again. T'ville, I will but defense shield up!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Forgot about Berlin....

I know that the T Auto mall does really well, but every time I've shopped there I had a bad experience.  I go only to walk the lot on Sunday.  

I've bought four cars now from the two Burns dealers and they generally provide great service.  This last time, the negotiation process started a bit rocky with a "no-haggle" price and marked up MF.  Once that was sorted it was good!   

• Options
    I bought my Accord at Burns, and Oddysey at Turnersville. Both were fine experiences. I had a real poor one though at the Hyundai store (I ended up getting my car over in PA, a wonderful experience there, and much better price). When the time comes, I will shop them all. And negotiate wherever it makes sense.

I have shopped at test driven a number of times at the automall. Never been a poor experience.

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,008
    imidazol97
    The reality is I probably cannot buy another Malibu because I can't get the standard engine with all the safety features. The safety features require an LT2 and the 2.0 T is required. So I'll be shopping other cars unless GM changes their option logic

Imid, what safety measures would you be missing with a standard model?

When you gave the measurement chart I believe one model was the Passat SE. That car seemed to have a huge backseat area, but I think most of the cars were pretty close on the chart.

I have never thought about what difference 1/2 inch of legroom or hip room really means in the big scheme of things...maybe it is HUUUUUUUUGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEE....like Billy says! We need a fair size and comfortable backseat because we retired older people go out a lot with other older retired people. But, I would sacrifice a bit of room to get the car I really want. In the CR reviews they make it sound like rear legroom should be your #1 consideration.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    @roadburner lol lol lol yes you do see that all over lol
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,488
    Trust me, I get it regarding the stats. You would think the exact opposite but I'm talking real world actually sitting in both cars. I'm no small guy at 6'0" and 225 lbs, so in my case the seat is almost all the way back. No offense intended toward the Malibu. Not too many years ago, all of my cars were GM so I have no biases. The 2000 Malibu I had as a company car was one of my favorites. I'm just about positive the measurements on that car would be less than more modern Malibus but even that one fit me better in the back seat.
    I do get that the rear seat feels more closed in. It's like sitting in the back of some of the Lincoln Continentals with the little opera windows and large C-pillars. The positioning of the headroom and the positioning of the legroom angles to each other also seem to have an effect. The MSM of the auto mags really hooked onto the '13 seat legroom as the problem to punish GM for using a platform that shortens the front and rear seating area from the '12 model which was abundant. But I like shorter cars. It fits better in the garage than the 12 I had as a loaner fit. I researched the measurment algorithm used for legroom, etc.. There is something about the dimensions of an adult male of certain percentile height. Using that for the front seat positioning then the rear legroom is measured. I personally use the IMID method like you did of sitting in the front and adjusting the seat for comfortable driving then sitting in the rear behind it. The reality is I probably cannot buy another Malibu because I can't get the standard engine with all the safety features. The safety features require an LT2 and the 2.0 T is required. So I'll be shopping other cars unless GM changes their option logic. The new Honda Accord looks like an angry Camry--extrapolating from the current Civic's looks. The local toyota store is hateful. So shopping will be fun. Subaru is across town. BMW/VW is nearby but VW/Audi has an honesty problem.
    What's wrong with the 2.0T?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    edited March 2017
    I think dimensions can give you an idea, but you really have to try a vehicle on for size. Everyone's body size and build is different. I had several of the previous Malibu's as rentals and found them tight in general and a bit difficult getting in and out of it (not to mention the not ready for prime time stop start). But that is for me and my dimensions and physique. The current Malibu seems to have resolved the ergonomics. Personally, I'm not sure I'd call any popular priced, regular sized car design drop dead gorgeous these days. Then again, I may be prejudiced a bit by growing up with cars from designers like Mitchell, Engel and Exner.
  • Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    berri said:
    I think dimensions can give you an idea, but you really have to try a vehicle on for size. Everyone's body size and build is different. I had several of the previous Malibu's as rentals and found them tight in general and a bit difficult getting in and out of it (not to mention the not ready for prime time stop start). But that is for me and my dimensions and physique. The current Malibu seems to have resolved the ergonomics. Personally, I'm not sure I'd call any popular priced, regular sized car design drop dead gorgeous these days. Then again, I may be prejudiced a bit by growing up with cars from designers like Mitchell, Engel and Exner.
    I grew up with cars from designers like "kiddie", "subway", "cable" and "daddy's" - they were topline!   :D

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    ...and trucks by Tonka and your friend, Buddy L ;)
  • Options
    at this point, the mid size models are all pretty much (IMO scale) close to full size now. Sonata is really long, and the others are right up there. So they better have plenty of rear leg room!

the real secret is a higher seat cushion, so your legs go down, not out. One reason small SUVs tend to be so roomy.

or, have a really short driver. My daughter is barely over 5', so pulls the seat way up. When we were in her S40 Volvo (a truly short car), I loved to sit behind her on the driver's side. It was like being in a limo.

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,762
    edited March 2017
    driver100 said:

imidazol97
    The reality is I probably cannot buy another Malibu because I can't get the standard engine with all the safety features. The safety features require an LT2 and the 2.0 T is required. So I'll be shopping other cars unless GM changes their option logic

When you gave the measurement chart I believe one model was the Passat SE. That car seemed to have a huge backseat area, but I think most of the cars were pretty close on the chart.

I have never thought about what difference 1/2 inch of legroom or hip room really means in the big scheme of things...maybe it is HUUUUUUUUGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEE....like Billy says! We need a fair size and comfortable backseat because we retired older people go out a lot with other older retired people. But, I would sacrifice a bit of room to get the car I really want. In the CR reviews they make it sound like rear legroom should be your #1 consideration.
    I think Billy has a dealership near Buffalo. You could stop in on your way home. If you get in good with him he might fly you back to Florida on his jet.

As to leg room I know a woman at work bought an SUV from him and claimed it was so rusted underneath that it was unsafe to drive. Just think how the lack of floors would improve leg room all around...not to mention the ability to assist braking by dragging your feet. ;)

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,179
    nyccarguy said:

Lower gas mileage than the 1.6 l T.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    edited March 2017
    driver100 said:

imidazol97

Imid, what safety measures would you be missing with a standard model? .
    Forward automatic braking. Adaptive cruise control. Semiautomatic parking.

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,670

nyccarguy said:

IMID....Everything I've read about the Malibu Hybrid says it's an exemplary car. Is that one an option?
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    edited March 2017

IMID....Everything I've read about the Malibu Hybrid says it's an exemplary car. Is that one an option?

I probably have to look into it. But the electrics have a larger footprint ecologically despite the green folks' opinions instead of facts. With the higher cost and the low miles it's not feasible. More likely would be replacing the Cobalt with a car that's truly a hybrid. It gets most of our mileage around town and within 50 miles. A Volt could get me charged up on electrics except for the relatively low miles compared to the extra cost.

A CPO Volt in a couple of years might work. I could wire in a 220 charging station in the garage myself from the main box. I really like the white Volt that Suydam has. My local Chev store had a line of Volts. The new owner is really being aggressive about moving cars for Chev. I'll be a lot of those are leasing out. CPO on a lease return?

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

Who did that? See me after class..... :p

You see a lot of "Alpha Romero" on CL.

And "Camero"

And "Cadillac Converters"

Yeah, but they all have new "breaks" and all of them have A/C that just needs the "freezone" recharged!
  • Options

driver100 said:

imidazol97

I think Billy has a dealership near Buffalo. You could stop in on your way home. If you get in good with him he might fly you back to Florida on his jet.

As to leg room I know a woman at work bought an SUV from him and claimed it was so rusted underneath that it was unsafe to drive. Just think how the lack of floors would improve leg room all around...not to mention the ability to assist braking by dragging your feet. ;)

He has 18 dealerships in NY state. I gave the link before.....in 2015 there was a lawsuit filed for $1.6 million for adding etching to cars to prevent theft. It was a scam so each customer who paid for it was reimbursed $160.
    >
    FUCCILLO DEALERS LAWSUIT

Some 5,320 car buyers who bought the $295 theft-protection package from Fuccillo dealerships. Seems the etching was only worth about $40.

Poor Billy, but thanks for the suggestion of shopping there.

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,738
    qbrozen said:

Guys, guys, I just HAVE to point out that it is not spelled Alpha. It is Alfa. I expect better from this group. ;b

A company that can't figure out how to make a long lasting head gasket doesn't need to worry about if customers can spell their name correctly or not.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    better than a company named after the sound you make when you open your latest credit card statement and see all the repair charges (Sob).

• Options
    edited March 2017

nyccarguy said:

If the 1.6T performs similarly (and puts up similar) EPA numbers to Kia's 1.6T, the real-world differences between a regular 2.0T and 1.6T are small to negligible in regards to fuel economy in my opinion.

I'd say I'm averaging an extra 2 MPG in the Kia's 1.6T built in 2016 vs. the 2.0T in my old Audi built in '06.

However, I do a lot of my driving either stuck in traffic, or at speeds only legal in certain parts of Texas,.

'15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,511
    andres3 said:

A company that can't figure out how to make a long lasting head gasket doesn't need to worry about if customers can spell their name correctly or not.

Good point. They deserve each other.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,408
    Just read a review of the new Alfa and it bricked at a stop light. There was more info in the article about the types of tow trucks than the car. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    http://jalopnik.com/bmw-has-at-least-one-quality-control-inspector-who-play-1793020065

I think @Michaell posted this story first

Just another reason why I prefer my cars have a VIN that starts with J for Japan or W for Germany.

My experience with US and Mexican built cars hasn't lived up to the bar set by the above two.

Even the darn Hungarians that assembled my TTS have an issue with the side seat trim that will be replaced when the parts come in, so my "stellar" workmanship and quality control is down to just the two countries; Japan and Germany.
  • Options
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

imidazol97

He has 18 dealerships in NY state. I gave the link before.....in 2015 there was a lawsuit filed for $1.6 million for adding etching to cars to prevent theft. It was a scam so each customer who paid for it was reimbursed $160.
    >
    FUCCILLO DEALERS LAWSUIT

Some 5,320 car buyers who bought the $295 theft-protection package from Fuccillo dealerships. Seems the etching was only worth about $40.

Billy's VIN etching scam wasn't any worse than what many dealers pull for various mop & glo services. One of my relatives always falls for them and he never shops at Billy's place.

In Fuccillo's case his obnoxious commercials brought him to the attention of an ambitious Attorney General who likes to make headlines.

Speaking of worthless services, I was listening to Dave Ramsey on the radio and he stated the estimate payout on extended warranties is about 12%. Meaning that for every dollar they take in, statistically they figure they will only have to pay 12 cents actually fixing stuff that breaks.

I always thought that instead of buying a $1500 car warranty it would be better to put aside the money and use it when then need arose. Of course you are taking the chance that you'll be the one to get the $10,000 repair bill.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

imidazol97

>
    FUCCILLO DEALERS LAWSUIT

Billy's VIN etching scam wasn't any worse than what many dealers pull for various mop & glo services. One of my relatives always falls for them and he never shops at Billy's place.

In Fuccillo's case his obnoxious commercials brought him to the attention of an ambitious Attorney General who likes to make headlines.

Speaking of worthless services, I was listening to Dave Ramsey on the radio and he stated the estimate payout on extended warranties is about 12%. Meaning that for every dollar they take in, statistically they figure they will only have to pay 12 cents actually fixing stuff that breaks.

I always thought that instead of buying a $1500 car warranty it would be better to put aside the money and use it when then need arose. Of course you are taking the chance that you'll be the one to get the $10,000 repair bill.

The problem I fear is that if you get the one with the $10,000 repair bill that's when you get the warranty company to dig in their heels and make up an excuse to deny the claim. So you are better off not paying for the warranty either way.
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,767
    Self-insure, Farmer. That's been my plan, too.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,413
    I agree with the self-insure plan for vehicles out of warranty with one caveat - that is, actually setting money aside to deal with those issues. Whether it is part of a larger rainy day fund or a dedicated car fund, the money has to come from somewhere.
    2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,157
    driver100 said:

>
    FUCCILLO DEALERS LAWSUIT

The dealers here do the same etching scam, in fact one of the bigger dealer groups here (which includes the place where I got my Regal and ATS) does it in all their stores. On the ATS when they tried to add it to the price I thanked them for doing it but told them I wasn't going to pay for it and they immediately removed the fee (I forget how much). It must be a huge profit pack for them, along with their $200 locking lug nuts they also try to make standard.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options

I agree with the self-insure plan for vehicles out of warranty with one caveat - that is, actually setting money aside to deal with those issues. Whether it is part of a larger rainy day fund or a dedicated car fund, the money has to come from somewhere.

That's true, if you are in the category of being unable to save money unless you are forced to do so by paying off some money-making profitable scheme, then for those people insurance and warranties work great.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    @graphicguy's latest revelation about the CTS from Hell that the exhaust system had to be changed fits with what I thought from the beginning. The wiring was being redesigned to avoid the problem areas. But instead of the wire cables being changed, it was the exhaust system that had to be re-engineered to avoid the problem with the cables.

I wonder if the arbitration will hear that point made that the fix required some time for engineering and certification, but now it's fixed and the customer has been made whole.

Another morning customer at UDF for coffee has a black CTS that I think he got in 2016. I am going to ask him if he's had any trouble and if it's a 2.0 L if he has heard about the check for wiring problems.

• Options

@graphicguy's latest revelation about the CTS from Hell that the exhaust system had to be changed fits with what I thought from the beginning. The wiring was being redesigned to avoid the problem areas. But instead of the wire cables being changed, it was the exhaust system that had to be re-engineered to avoid the problem with the cables.

I wonder if the arbitration will hear that point made that the fix required some time for engineering and certification, but now it's fixed and the customer has been made whole.

Excellent theory....sounds very possible.
    Still took over 30 days to fix, but, if they can they will use it.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,011
    andres3 said:
    Guys, guys, I just HAVE to point out that it is not spelled Alpha. It is Alfa. I expect better from this group. ;b
    I'm not familar with that problem on Alfas. But if that is a general rule, should we start spelling it Soobaroo?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Alfa head gaskets didn't "blow" so much as they leaked.

The "Head Gasket Kings" were Saab and Subaru and Renault. Took them years to figure out how to make one that worked.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 242,847
    Since I was chastised by posting this in the CCBA discussion, I thought I'd mention it here, as well.

I've been in my current home for 18 months now. We like the inside - a lot. Have invested more money than I care to count - new countertops, new flooring (tile and carpet), new paint, updated window coverings, custom home office and closet build out, new range, microwave and dishwasher, new light fixtures and, just recently, refaced kitchen cabinets.

But - we have lots of neighbors around us, which makes using the outside somewhat problematic.

In our development, there are a number of homes that back to open space, which means you only have neighbors on either side of you.

Recently, one of these houses came on the market - and, the wife is very interested in it:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/12824-Buckhorn-Creek-St_Parker_CO_80134_M13275-73999

The home is overpriced - a lot. Suspect the owners are trying to recoup their reno costs.

Open house on Sunday - we'll be there.

Wish me luck!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,709
    Good luck, Michaell! That home is really sharp. It's also about $400,000 too costly.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,011
    So they think the value has nearly doubled since they bought it 4 years ago? Good luck with that.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 7,010
    Michaell said:

Since I was chastised by posting this in the CCBA discussion, I thought I'd mention it here, as well.

I've been in my current home for 18 months now. We like the inside - a lot. Have invested more money than I care to count - new countertops, new flooring (tile and carpet), new paint, updated window coverings, custom home office and closet build out, new range, microwave and dishwasher, new light fixtures and, just recently, refaced kitchen cabinets.

But - we have lots of neighbors around us, which makes using the outside somewhat problematic.

In our development, there are a number of homes that back to open space, which means you only have neighbors on either side of you.

Recently, one of these houses came on the market - and, the wife is very interested in it:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/12824-Buckhorn-Creek-St_Parker_CO_80134_M13275-73999

The home is overpriced - a lot. Suspect the owners are trying to recoup their reno costs.

Wish me luck!

Overall I like the house. Nice features, basement, backyard that doesn't back up to another house. I do find the transition from what I assume is the living room to the family room as a bit awkward being separated by a half wall and transitions from carpet to hardwoods, but that wouldn't be a deal breaker if everything else 'lined up'. Good luck, sir,!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    I said this over in CCBA & I'll say it here.  I detest moving!  Unless you get an insane, all cash offer for your house which will leave you with a sizeable amount of equity & can purchase this new house for well under market value, I'd stay put.  

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Michaell said:

Wish me luck!

Great home Michaell. It depends on the difference in price. I'd check on the neighbors beside that house. We had friends that went up to the neighbors on the side and talked to them to get an idea of what they were like.....I believe once they did it posing like they were selling something. Also, you may want to check the plans for that field behind with 100 year old trees, see if it is going to be built on sometime in the near future.

My own rule about real estate if if you can afford it, if it makes you feel good, there is little chance you will regret buying it. A home is so important to your well being, and your enjoyment of life. It may even go up in value at a faster rate than your current home, because of it's uniqueness

One other thing I have learned. Once we lived on a 100 acre property which seems ideal. But, we paid a lot in taxes (did get breaks because we leased some out to a farmer) and we did a lot of work cutting down trees, plowing driveway after a big snowfall. So, I always say, buy a house near government land or near say a mountain side, or water....where you get a lot of space - but you aren't paying for the upkeep or taxes on that land.

Hard decision though.......good luck!.

• Options
    nyccarguy said:
    I said this over in CCBA & I'll say it here.  I detest moving!  Unless you get an insane, all cash offer for your house which will leave you with a sizeable amount of equity & can purchase this new house for well under market value, I'd stay put.  
    I so agree!   The wife and I talk about it, and every time we start trolling the realtor sites we come back down to reality and decide to stay put.  Our house is a little on the small side, but it works for us.  We aren't having any more kids so three bedrooms is enough. 

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    Michaell said:
    Since I was chastised by posting this in the CCBA discussion, I thought I'd mention it here, as well. I've been in my current home for 18 months now. We like the inside - a lot. Have invested more money than I care to count - new countertops, new flooring (tile and carpet), new paint, updated window coverings, custom home office and closet build out, new range, microwave and dishwasher, new light fixtures and, just recently, refaced kitchen cabinets. But - we have lots of neighbors around us, which makes using the outside somewhat problematic. In our development, there are a number of homes that back to open space, which means you only have neighbors on either side of you. Recently, one of these houses came on the market - and, the wife is very interested in it: http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/12824-Buckhorn-Creek-St_Parker_CO_80134_M13275-73999 The home is overpriced - a lot. Suspect the owners are trying to recoup their reno costs. Open house on Sunday - we'll be there. Wish me luck!
    Chastised for posting this on CCBA?  I would suggest putting a tire and rim on each corner of the house and claim it's an RV - that will shut them up!

As for the house - nice!  Are the floors laminate or real hardwood?  Bathrooms are very nice and the open space in back is delightful - just check and see who owns that land and if the local zoning board has received any requests for variances and what is the land zoned for..  Further, if the plan commission has received any requests to review any development proposals.

I like it!  Good luck, Michael! ;)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

The "Head Gasket Kings" were Saab and Subaru and Renault. Took them years to figure out how to make one that worked.

Seems a lot of cars had problems when they went to aluminium heads on cast iron blocks. Dissimilar expansion caused gasket failure especially if the motor ran hot.

• Options
    Michaell said:

Wish me luck!

CCBA posters can be testy sometimes. Next time mention what kind of car was parked in the driveway of the house.

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 7,010

Seems a lot of cars had problems when they went to aluminium heads on cast iron blocks. Dissimilar expansion caused gasket failure especially if the motor ran hot.

Or you had an early Olds/GM 350 diesel! Dad's '79 Eldorado diesel went thru head gaskets every 30k, like clockwork.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 242,847
    @iluvmysephia1 - Not sure about $400K overpriced. I'd say at least $50K, if not a bit more.

@qbrozen - home prices have been going up double digit percentages the last few years here in CO. But, their pricing is very aggressive for the neighborhood.

@sda - I agree with you on the half wall thing. And, not terribly fond of the carpet to hardwood transitions. Have to see it in person to know if we could live with it or not.

@nyccarguy - so much depends on the numbers. We have a decent amount of equity in our house, and I'm pretty confident it would sell quickly if we priced it right. We'd need to talk with our RE agent to get a sense of what we could ask, as well as what a fair offer would be for the other one.

@driver100 - the space behind the house won't get developed - it's Cherry Creek, which is a main tributary to the South Platte River. And, I know you can't pick your neighbors - that's part of the reason we're even considering this crazy idea. One plays his home theater system so loud our house shakes at times. Another - who are renters - smoke on their back deck which is probably no more than 50' from our master bedroom. We'd have to run the numbers to see how affordable it is. But, I like the idea of the 3 car garage and the open space.

@tjc78 - Our current house, at 2700 square feet, is about the right size. This house, at 3300 square feet, seems to be a bit large for three adults (step daughter lives with us, and likely will for the time being). Have to see it to figure out if it works for us.

@abacomike - I believe the floors are real hardwood. They look nice, but I've never lived with them before. Wife and I like tile more. The current color scheme of our current house are more blues and greys; the natural colors of this house would take some adjustment. And, as noted above, the space behind us won't get developed.

Just realized I left out a few home improvements - we replaced the rear door to the backyard, we've had the entire exterior of the house repainted by hand (no sprayers), and we've planted 3 trees last fall.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    I posted this over at CCBA in response to @Michaell 's musings but didn't get chastised. ;) Here it is again with a bit of an update:

Speaking of moving, my best friend recently dropped a bit of a bombshell that he and his wife sold their beautiful mid-century split level in a great part of town that they have owned for 22 years and are moving about 90 minutes away from here.

Part of this is no surprise, though the timing is. They had bought the place they are moving to which is deep in the country nearly 10 years ago - a century-old farmhouse - and have been renovating it ever since as they have had time. His wife is a fanatic for old things of the Little House on the Prairie era and the place has been renovated to that style with Victorian antiques and dark colors. I hate the decor, find the house itself unattractive and unremarkable, the location remote and don't like it at all, but I don't have to live there.

Over the years they have renovated every room in their city house at least once and just recently completed adding a third bath, renovating the second bath/laundry, and doing a complete refresh of everything. All the mechanical systems and insulation have been updated over the years too. He has quite literally worked like a dog on the place forever in addition to completing one full car restoration and another one he did earlier in life that that he has since maintained at a high level. The house is literally move-in perfect. They hadn't even listed it but someone was looking at another place in their neighborhood that was for sale, came to their door to inquire, and presto, perfect timing. Didn't even have to pay a sales commission.

Her parents live not too far away from the country place. Both are in their 80s and facing health problems so she feels she needs to be with them and care for them until the end. That has accelerated their timeline. What happens after they pass remains unknown. My buddy has his own health challenges which makes me wonder why he is moving away from here where all the hospitals and doctors are, but whatever. He is 62, she is 42, and I think that has something to do with him agreeing to do this. Their 19 y-o son has been evicted to his own apartment and as you can imagine he is not too happy despite them paying half his rent for now. Kind of sad.

The most bizarre part is that he has drawn up plans and contracted for construction of a "shop" on the country property - 2000 sq ft, architect-designed, estimated build cost $200K. Interior fit-out is extra of course and he is talking about lifts, compressors, all the tools and mechanical stuff he does not now have, storage racking for vehicles, etc. I'd guess another $100K. This will supposedly feed his old-car habit and allow him to do whatever, whether it be adding more vehicles to his collection or doing restoration work for others, not sure. I think it is nuts. At age 62 he will inevitably start to slow down his frenetic pace soon enough and then what? He will never get his money back of course but I suspect he figures his wife will be the one selling it after he's gone.

I had lunch with him yesterday and to my not very great surprise he is of very mixed feelings. He is somewhat in mourning about leaving their house here and all the memories, but feels he has no choice as his wife is driving this bus. "Trying to make the best of it" was the phrase used. That did nothing to make me feel better about the situation, though how much of that is me feeling bad over not being around him much going forward is hard to say. In the end it's their money and their lives of course but it just gives me a very uneasy feeling about how this might all play out in the end.

• Options
    @Michaell - outdoor smokers next door & a guy who plays his home theater too loud?  I thought everybody in Colorado was the healthy, adventurous, outdoorsy type  :p (sarcasm).  No time for home theater when there is hiking, skiing, snowboarding, bike riding, & other activities to do  ;)

Seriously though, the house shaking because of the loud home theater is most likely a product of how the houses were built in the last 10 - 15 years.  Build as many as you can in as little time.

One benefit to my 1432 square foot ranch that was built in 1955.  It is SOLID.  The only time I hear outside noise is when we sleep with the windows open.  The next door neighbors have a pond that borders my property with some very loud bull frogs.  On the other side is a nice, twisty road that I hear motorcycles and cars whizz by at WOT at night.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,425
    nyccarguy said:

Same here!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

@Michaell - outdoor smokers next door & a guy who plays his home theater too loud?  I thought everybody in Colorado was the healthy, adventurous, outdoorsy type  :p (sarcasm).

It's Colorado, so they're probably weed smokers. It's healthy, y'know. ;)