Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,984
    @nyccarguy
    My house was built in 58 and same thing.  Very solid.  Tongue and groove yellow pine subfloors with oak hardwood on top (covered by carpet, ugh).   

Our neighbors are very close and we never hear a thing. We sleep with the windows open maybe 5 or 10 times a year.  I'm a wuss and in my house it's usually either heat or AC running.  

When I lived here single and with my wife before kids we would rock out the home theater at ridiculous sound levels and no one ever said a thing to us.   

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,426
    driver100 said:

One other thing I have learned. Once we lived on a 100 acre property which seems ideal. But, we paid a lot in taxes (did get breaks because we leased some out to a farmer) and we did a lot of work cutting down trees, plowing driveway after a big snowfall. So, I always say, buy a house near government land or near say a mountain side, or water....where you get a lot of space - but you aren't paying for the upkeep or taxes on that land.

That's the thing, people make stupid offers for the farm every few years, but no way I'm parting with it for cheap.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,408
    @michaell,
    That 3 car garage could help you out with that CCBA crew.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,158
    Michaell said:

@sda - I agree with you on the half wall thing. And, not terribly fond of the carpet to hardwood transitions. Have to see it in person to know if we could live with it or not.

I finally looked at all the pics.

I quite like the lower level, and the way the bathrooms are done.

The main level design and finishes just look odd to me. Not sure why but the floor transitions and angles just don't fit my eye. Am I seeing chair rail running upward at an angle in one of the shots? I would have to replace most of the light fixtures too. But that's just me.

The lot and setting surely do look good though (assuming that playground isn't next door). I can see the appeal.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,500
    edited March 2017
    Michaell, I say check it out at the open house, and if feasible, go for it! Yes, a move is a P.I.T.A., but once done, you can enjoy it 24/7. You only live once!

(DISCLOSURE: I am a mover, always looking for something I like better, the opposite of @nyccarguy, @tjc78 and @roadburner.)
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 242,857
    carnaught said:

Michaell, I say check it out at the open house, and if feasible, go for it! Yes, a move is a P.I.T.A., but once done, you can enjoy it 24/7. You only live once!

(DISCLOSURE: I am a mover, always looking for something I like better, the opposite of @nyccarguy, @tjc78 and @roadburner.)

We're definitely going to the open house tomorrow. I'd like to see it in person before going any further.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    qbrozen said:

So they think the value has nearly doubled since they bought it 4 years ago? Good luck with that.

They must think they live in Aspen.
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,984
    carnaught said:

Guess we need a new thread... Chronic Home Buyers!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Please, no. Then we'll deteriorate into changing wives every 36 months when the leases are up. :p

Whoa, talk about expensive....
  • Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    edited March 2017
    Since I was in my 20's (when I owned a Triumph TR6), I always wanted to try out a 124 spider in red with red interior - a neighbor of mine had one and it was awesome looking and drove great. But that was 45 years ago - I'm sure things have changed in that amount of time. But, now for my "off the cuff" decision to drive one - what the heck, right?

So, I drove down south - unfortunately, they did not have a red on red Spider Abarth in inventory, but they did have a red on black one in a 6-speed along with several others. MSRP without technology package was about $30,000. They had a white on black one with the technology package and several other goodies that MSRP's for just over $34,000. They have a $500 incentive available for purchase, but I did not negotiate with them, just wanted to see if I could fit in it and if it brought back memories.

So he pulled up the white one with black interior with the goodies on it. The first hurdle was to try and sit in this marvelous looking machine. It took some time and with my pulling on my left leg to fit it into the cabin, I managed to get behind the wheel. He put the top down and I started the engine. WOW! what a great sound!

We pulled out of the dealership and the gears shifted effortlessly - clutch was a bit loosie/goosie but what can you expect in a roadster like t his. We went over to I-95 and it was like I was a kid again. My hair was just blowing in the wind and I felt like I really needed a toy like this to lift my spirits - which could use some lifting considering the last year of my life. We made it back to the dealership and then, the fun began!

He had pulled up the convertible soft top before I attempted to exit the car - not a good idea, as I told him. There was no way I was getting out of this car without the top down so I could lift myself up and off the driver's seat and maneuver out of the car. My head kept hitting the soft-top and the cross bar every time I attempted exiting. He finally dropped the top again and, with some major effort, I was able to extract (and I mean extract!) myself from this sardine can. But now, for my impressions:

It is an extremely tight fit for someone like me who is 6'2" tall and 239 lbs of beef and fat. I found the clutch and break pedals a bit too close for my liking - especially since I was cramped to begin with and the driver's seat was all the way back. But those really were the only negatives. The steering was true and tight and the car cornered like a formula I racing car. It gripped the road beautifully. It had quite a bit of "thrust" once you put it into 2nd gear and then up the gears through 4th. The car purred on the highway and I rarely had to provide input to keep the car in a straight line. The engine roared like the good old days. Fit and finish was excellent but the technology (NAV, safety features, etc.) were a bit slow in response time, in my opinion. But I drive a 740i, so it isn't a fair comparison. Loved the wheels and the Pirelli Tires did their job in cornering and accelerating.

It was obvious to me (unfortunately, not to the salesman) that this was no car that I could own as a "toy". I'd have to lose another 100 pounds and shrink about 4 inches before I would consider this a good fit, to be honest. Yet he insisted that I go into the showroom again with him to meet his manager. I felt I owed him that much, and I followed him inside. Manager was very gracious - but also understanding considering that my size and build was not the targeted consumer Fiat had in mind when they built this vehicle. But he did say that if I really wanted a red on red one in the Abarth series, he could get me one in a day or two - and would make me a deal I couldn't refuse. I responded to him that if I fit into the car better, I would definitely consider it - in fact, honestly, I would have bought the car this morning. But, I would have bought a Corvette too if I could fit in the darn thing. But, alas, my I cannot own a toy that my "mind wants but my body rejects"!

If you have any questions, feel free! B)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,008
    Great review Mike, very interesting car and seems like a bargain nicely equipped for under $35K. Did you know this about the Spyder:

Go ahead, write off the new 2017 Fiat 124 Spider two-seat roadster as a Mazda Miata wearing Italian rally drag. After all, this revivified 124 Spider is made in Japan, by Mazda, alongside the MX-5 Miata, and it shares with it most every structural and general mechanical design.

There are some differences that Fiat has added to change it up a bit.....both cars have their advantages and disadvantages. It would make a nice weekend fun car for someone who could afford it.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options

Please, no. Then we'll deteriorate into changing wives every 36 months when the leases are up. :p

Whoa, talk about expensive....

Changing wives every few years........just what I need, lose half of all my possessions every few years! :'(

• Options
    driver100 said:
    Great review Mike, very interesting car and seems like a bargain nicely equipped for under $35K. Did you know this about the Spyder: Go ahead, write off the new 2017 Fiat 124 Spider two-seat roadster as a Mazda Miata wearing Italian rally drag. After all, this revivified 124 Spider is made in Japan, by Mazda, alongside the MX-5 Miata, and it shares with it most every structural and general mechanical design. There are some differences that Fiat has added to change it up a bit.....both cars have their advantages and disadvantages. It would make a nice weekend fun car for someone who could afford it.
    I knew the relationship with Mazda.  But it is a different style - same body and a bit more power.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    driver100 said:
    Please, no. Then we'll deteriorate into changing wives every 36 months when the leases are up. :p Whoa, talk about expensive....
    Changing wives every few years........just what I need, lose half of all my possessions every few years! :'(
    My brother has done that twice - but the second time he had a pre-nup!  Saved him a fortune!  But cost him a small fortune even with the pre-nup!  :'(

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Ab, living in the country sounds very idealistic, but, it isn't as great as it sounds. We lived on a country road about 15 or 20 minutes outside of town. The original 150 year old log cabin part was restored and became a living room/dining room area divided by a fireplace.

The rest of the house was very modern.

But, the downside, to do anything takes 20 minutes just to get to town. Sometimes you travel 2 or 3X a day if you have activities where you have to be in the city. You have to plan carefully when you bring home groceries, and keep things on hand if visitors drop in. It should be quiet but there was a stock car track about 5 miles away and though they only raced on Saturdays the noise carries at night. And the frogs and crickets can be pretty noisy too. Another thing is it is hard to go for a walk in the evening.....it is so dark. Mosquitoes can be fierce too at times of the year. Every once in awhile people would dump old couches and tires onto the property.

We also got concerned as we get older about doctors and ambulances.
    I like living in a smaller town better, where I have people around me....though I don't need to talk or like them all, I just like living with civilization around me. Our neighbors are great (except the one moron on one side) and they help us and we help them....easier to do in town.

When you live in the country it is a long day if you don't go somewhere or see someone...it isn't as ideal as it sounds. Hope your friend isn't disappointed.

• Options
    driver100 said:

It would make a nice weekend fun car for someone who could afford it.

And for someone who can fit in it. I would have the same issue as Mike with this car. It's a shame they couldn't find a couple of inches more headroom and legroom.

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    But, alas, my I cannot own a toy that my "mind wants but my body rejects"!

Can't win 'em all. Sometimes life ain't fair. But tooling around south Florida in that big German iron isn't so bad!
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,709
    edited March 2017
    Michaell - get a pool table and I'll head over from Kansas City and watch next year's Super Bowl at your house. Man, I grew up shooting pool - Grandpa and Grandma had a pool table at their Gig Harbor, WA, house, and Mom and Dad had one at their Edmonds, WA, house. 

Just kidding, you don't have to invite me over next Feb.2018, Michaell! But that house, you ask? Buy it! That house rocks. I was kidding about it being $400 grand overpriced. I would put a Foghat-proud home theater in it capable of shearing the fur off a jaguar at 200 mph, a pool table and furnish it like John Elway might and...make it my wife and I's last home required.

My 2017 Nissan Versa S 5-speed sedan sitting out front would be a dead giveaway I'm (we're ) in over our heads, too. Make that a Versa S sedan in silver...ain't that the car color that cloaks the car in that "rich" kinda look? ;)

Buy that pup! Who else thinks that Michaell is pert-near sold on it already?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    driver100 said:

When you live in the country it is a long day if you don't go somewhere or see someone...it isn't as ideal as it sounds. Hope your friend isn't disappointed.

Oh, I think that is virtually inevitable. Aside from the sudden division between them and their son whom I always found to be a remarkable young fellow, which I find very troubling, to me the entire thing seems headed in the wrong direction. They are 20-30 minutes from the nearest town with anything at all (a small food store, pharmacy, gas station, bank, liquor store) and about 45 minutes to a somewhat bigger town that has a hospital and some other services. It is really country. In 2 or 3 years when his wife's parents die there is really no reason for them to be there. But then the money would have been spent on the huge shop project and other things, so they will be trapped there because there is no way they would find a buyer willing to pay anything close to what it cost. I think he knows that already but sees no alternative. His wife is a vibrant lady, full of energy, 20 years his junior, and he feels compelled to do this because of her need to be with her parents now. I suspect once a few more years go after they pass on, she will not want to be married to a guy pushing 70 who is slowing down. There is a coldness to her decision-making I have seen over the years - she was behind the son's eviction - so it would not shock me if she just decided to split up when it suits her and take half of his government pension and half of the assets which he will be unable to sell for anything what they spent on them. I can't say that to him, of course. It just seems like a tragedy waiting to unfold.

• Options
    Anyone else feel like Gladys Kravitz after reading ab348's post above? I gotta hand it to ya, you do have the savvy of that TMZ guy going there in your assessment of her gold-digging...I...I mean...Her...Deep love for her man!

• Options
    I remember when I was about 40 I had a friend who divorced and he found a new bride who was 24. Funny what love will do....and then she suddenly wanted children, 3 of them. One day I just happened to go by his new home in the suburbs and saw the garage door open filled with wagons and tricycles and he had a kid under one arm and was chasing two down the driveway......he looked like the most pathetic creature you could see....like he was ready to throw in the towel.

• Options
    berri said:

Can't win 'em all. Sometimes life ain't fair. But tooling around south Florida in that big German iron isn't so bad!

In Florida I would prefer as much iron around me as possible. I would never want a tiny sports car. Every day I feel like I am taking my life in my hands. Today I was merging onto the highway - speed limit 55, and I noticed a red Mustang coming up fast...I would estimate at 100 mph. There was a car in front of him in the left, so he went around him in the right lane....right at the point I would have entered.

Yesterday I was on a 50 mph road and was going to turn right. The light changed to yellow as I approached, fortunately I moved into the designated right turn lane and stopped easily for the yellow light, but the guy directly behind me must have been going 80 or 90 and continued right through the light which turned red just as he went through.

The more metal around you the better down here...a Hummer would be good.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    berri said:

Not at all bad, berry! While fiddling around with the iDrive technology this morning, I found a new screen showing gauges for "horsepower levels being provided by engine" and "torque levels being provided by engine". I had those in my CLS400, but who really wants (or needs) to know how much horsepower you are getting out of the engine at 45 mph or how much torque you are using or getting at that speed?

I just got an email from BMW North America asking if I was interested in becoming a member of their "BMW Board of Drivers" which provides BMW with feedback and input regarding BMW experiences, suggestions for improvements in the vehicle, etc. So, I took them up on their offer and submitted my info. Supposedly, about once a month, I will receive an email with survey attached to provide them with updates regarding my 740i. I already suggested to them that it would be nice if they would put two "arrows" into the "heads-up screen" to indicate if a directional signal is on and which direction (left or right) is selected. It already shows posted speed limit on the road or highway you are driving on, speed of vehicle, GPS directions, adaptive cruise control distance settings, and animations. Just a thought so the drive would know if a directional is on.

But, to repeat berry, this 740i is a great machine. B)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,763
    Michaell said:

carnaught said:

We're definitely going to the open house tomorrow. I'd like to see it in person before going any further.
    If things don't pan out I have a little house on 7+ that I'll sell you for the same price. Nearest neighbor is about 500 feet away and even if they were smoking meats while blasting the stereo you'd never know it.

No 4 bathrooms but we have plenty of trees for you convinence.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    driver100 said:

I remember when I was about 40 I had a friend who divorced and he found a new bride who was 24. Funny what love will do....and then she suddenly wanted children, 3 of them. One day I just happened to go by his new home in the suburbs and saw the garage door open filled with wagons and tricycles and he had a kid under one arm and was chasing two down the driveway......he looked like the most pathetic creature you could see....like he was ready to throw in the towel.

This is very similar. He was married young to his school sweetie and they had 2 kids in their early 20s. They divorced when he was around 40 and he met his current wife, who was in her early 20s, shortly thereafter. He likes to say he has only dated 2 women in his whole life and married them both. The new wife wanted a child of course so that happened in the mid-1990s.

@iluvmysephia1 , sometimes things are obvious to most people except for those to whom they are happening. I am not alone in his circle of friends in my assessment.

• Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    @oldfarmer50 man o man wow por billy. love his comershials. everytime I am upstate at whair my older brother lives those comershials are so funny.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,244
    edited March 2017
    My grandma's house (original owner) is from the same era and the same way. Hardwoods throughout, quiet and solid feeling inside, and it has held up well with many original finishes, including much of the kitchen (still has original counters). Her only complaint is the single pane windows, but I doubt the benefit of modern windows would be worth the expense. The lot sizes in her development (mostly built 1958-65 or so) are twice as much as newer surrounding developments, where houses are often three times the size. I doubt it could be repeated at a reasonable price today, it wasn't all stapled together cardboard, plywood, and foam as it is now. And this being a bubble market, if it was listed for 20x the original price (wages certainly haven't advanced so much, and rates aren't that much lower today), it would sell within hours of listing - and it's not even in a really trendy area nor a fancy house (although back then 2 bathrooms and a 2 car garage were very nice to have), although the retro thing might attract people now. Grandpa, your choice worked well.
    tjc78 said:

@nyccarguy
    My house was built in 58 and same thing.  Very solid.  Tongue and groove yellow pine subfloors with oak hardwood on top (covered by carpet, ugh).   

Our neighbors are very close and we never hear a thing. We sleep with the windows open maybe 5 or 10 times a year.  I'm a wuss and in my house it's usually either heat or AC running.  

When I lived here single and with my wife before kids we would rock out the home theater at ridiculous sound levels and no one ever said a thing to us.   

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,244
    Or Seattle.

They must think they live in Aspen.

• Options
    ab348 - some analogies ta car buying can be made here, indeed. It's tough because all of us want to be loved and to love. We're masking it if we don't believe that. It's sad because he's stuck now.

Analogy: iluvmysephia1 goes out and trades his '11 Kia Soul 5-speed in on a '17 Nissan Versa S 5-speed sedan. Papers already signed but...No return policy built in to the contract. Ouch.

I see what you mean, man. I'll take a large margarita and Foghat's 'Terraplane Blue's' at volume 11 right now. Hit me up later.

• Options

@oldfarmer50 man o man wow por billy. love his comershials. everytime I am upstate at whair my older brother lives those comershials are so funny.

Marco...I like one of his current commercials where he says he has these special offers because he likes helping people who are having problems in life. He goes on to explain how he was once down and out and was barely surviving at one point. That's why he likes to help. It would be interesting to read a biography about Billy, just to see how he got where he did.....and to see if his story is true! (why would I doubt him?)

• Options
    M
    ike: I already suggested to them that it would be nice if they would put two "arrows" into the "heads-up screen" to indicate if a directional signal is on and which direction (left or right) is selected.

Great idea, especially for the older drivers in Florida.

That panel sounds like a good idea. I wonder how much they will really listen. When we went to the Mercedes factory in Stuttgart I suggested I preferred cars with higher rooflines and with big windows, and I liked GPS units built right into the instrument panel. They looked like me like my opinion was worthless and only they knew what was best. Meanwhile our MB sales rep says he could be selling 2015 GK350s all day long....people like the square boxy look with the large windows....and built in GPS.

• Options
    Ab, one more story about big age difference. When we bought our house 20 years ago we had a maximum price of $300000 budgeted. The only house we saw we liked was on the nicest street in town, probably out of our range at $365000. We put in a bid of $320000 and got it....sales were deadly slow at the time.

The seller was a guy who was 82, and his 34 year old girlfriend was pushing him to buy a condo in Florida. We got a great bargain and had many good years in that house...allowed me to start our business in the large basement. I often wonder how that fellow did with his young girlfriend.

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    One thing many of those older houses had was plaster walls. I think that may have cut and absorbed a lot of noise. Thicker and more solid than drywall.
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,500
    @ab348, if I were your friend, I'd just cut my losses now and just not move.
  • Options
    Driver, your story reminds me of something I had forgotten about that suddenly popped back into my mind. You can probably relate to this from what you see down in Florida.

Back in 1990 my dad and his GF (my mom had passed away several years earlier) were wintering just outside of Tampa. I went down for a couple of weeks and spent part of it there with them. I was playing a lot of golf then and one of their neighbors took me to a course he was a member of (Buckhorn Springs in Valrico) for the winter. They had visitor memberships which were a super deal so I took one out for the time I was there. I could then play golf every day and have use of the facilities.

After a couple of days I showed up one day and was looking for a game. The pro asked me if I minded playing with an older fellow and I said that was fine. He introduced me to Bob, who lived in a house adjacent to the course. He was in his mid-80s and had his own golf cart he kept at his house, and who showed up at the first tee around the same time every day. We hit it off tremendously. He was a retired exec from some big corporation and was loaded. We kept playing each day and on day 3 or so as we got to his house he said, "Let's go inside for a drink. You can meet my wife too." I expected a lady his own age.

We drive up to this palatial house, walk in and he is greeted by this knockout blonde, well-dressed with great makeup and hair, who runs up to him as plants a big kiss on him with a "Hi, honey, you're home!". She might have been early 30s, certainly no older. I couldn't take my eyes off her. It was just hilarious. I did wonder what the rest of his family thought of the arrangement but wasn't shocked by it - it happens. I was more than envious of him. :)

• Options
    I've read a few stories abut GM having a large inventory of unsold cars.
    Previously I had posted about a couple of Chevy SS's for sale locally that were offered @20% off MSRP.
    That offer expired, but I'm hoping it comes back. I'd be interested @16% off.
  • Options
    jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    andres3 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

imidazol97
    The reality is I probably cannot buy another Malibu because I can't get the standard engine with all the safety features. The safety features require an LT2 and the 2.0 T is required. So I'll be shopping other cars unless GM changes their option logic

Imid, what safety measures would you be missing with a standard model?

When you gave the measurement chart I believe one model was the Passat SE. That car seemed to have a huge backseat area, but I think most of the cars were pretty close on the chart.

I have never thought about what difference 1/2 inch of legroom or hip room really means in the big scheme of things...maybe it is HUUUUUUUUGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEE....like Billy says! We need a fair size and comfortable backseat because we retired older people go out a lot with other older retired people. But, I would sacrifice a bit of room to get the car I really want. In the CR reviews they make it sound like rear legroom should be your #1 consideration.
    I think Billy has a dealership near Buffalo. You could stop in on your way home. If you get in good with him he might fly you back to Florida on his jet.

As to leg room I know a woman at work bought an SUV from him and claimed it was so rusted underneath that it was unsafe to drive. Just think how the lack of floors would improve leg room all around...not to mention the ability to assist braking by dragging your feet. ;)

He has 18 dealerships in NY state. I gave the link before.....in 2015 there was a lawsuit filed for $1.6 million for adding etching to cars to prevent theft. It was a scam so each customer who paid for it was reimbursed $160.
    >
    FUCCILLO DEALERS LAWSUIT

Some 5,320 car buyers who bought the $295 theft-protection package from Fuccillo dealerships. Seems the etching was only worth about $40.

Poor Billy, but thanks for the suggestion of shopping there.
    Billy's VIN etching scam wasn't any worse than what many dealers pull for various mop & glo services. One of my relatives always falls for them and he never shops at Billy's place.

In Fuccillo's case his obnoxious commercials brought him to the attention of an ambitious Attorney General who likes to make headlines.

Speaking of worthless services, I was listening to Dave Ramsey on the radio and he stated the estimate payout on extended warranties is about 12%. Meaning that for every dollar they take in, statistically they figure they will only have to pay 12 cents actually fixing stuff that breaks.

I always thought that instead of buying a $1500 car warranty it would be better to put aside the money and use it when then need arose. Of course you are taking the chance that you'll be the one to get the $10,000 repair bill.

The problem I fear is that if you get the one with the $10,000 repair bill that's when you get the warranty company to dig in their heels and make up an excuse to deny the claim. So you are better off not paying for the warranty either way.
    Or you could do what we did for many years.

Whenever I was offered an extended warranty I refused it but put that amount into a designated savings account. I can't remember exactly when I started doing this but it had to be in the early 70's. It didn't make any difference what I bought, if an extended warranty was offered that account got a deposit bump.

We dealt with a local savings and loan for many years and got to know the people that worked there and the woman that we dealt with knew why we had this particular account. It got to the point when Mrs. j went to make a deposit, the woman would say, "Oh how nice. What new appliance did you get this time"?

If I ever had to fix something that was out of warranty, Mrs. j went to the bank and made a withdrawal to cove the repair. Over the 40 plus years we had that account I can only remember having to make 2 withdrawals. Maybe, $400 total.

When we stopped doing business with that savings and loan when they were taken over by a larger bank about 6 years ago, that account had a little less than $9,000 dollars in it. Since I never paid attention to that account because Mrs. j did all the work I was pretty surprised by that amount. Over the years Mrs. j kept telling how it was growing (mostly due to refused extended car warranties) but it just never registered. Not wanting to let that go by, of course she had to say something like, "see, even when I tell you some important stuff, you don't listen to me".

FWIW, when we stopped doing business with that old savings and loan and went to a different bank, we never set up that type of account again. Mrs. j said she was tired of playing that game.

When I think about it, that would have been a nice account by now if it had the '12 Subie and '15 Genny refused warranty account bump. It's all her fault. :@

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• Options

I've read a few stories abut GM having a large inventory of unsold cars.
    Previously I had posted about a couple of Chevy SS's for sale locally that were offered @20% off MSRP.
    That offer expired, but I'm hoping it comes back. I'd be interested @16% off.

They had it for 20% off and you want to fight with the salesman that you want 16% off? :D

• Options
    Ab, I have learned in life that it is whatever gets you through. If it makes him happy then that is the important thing, but, I imagine it isn't as easy as it sounds, First, there are a lot of differences in interests, in things they would relate to, in worrying about keeping up with your spouse, competition, and it would be hard to have friends who you can get along with.

Funny though, I don't know how you reacted when introduced.....probably "Holy cow man, are you kidding me?" Hope not!

• Options
    carnaught said:

If I knew then, what I know now, I would agree. But, this guy will have to go through it all and learn the lesson for himself.

• Options
    @driver100,
    The 2 cars listed for 20% off were not a color I could buy.
    16% off a car you can buy and drive is better than a vapor-benz for 4% off. ;)
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,740
    berri said:

One thing many of those older houses had was plaster walls. I think that may have cut and absorbed a lot of noise. Thicker and more solid than drywall.

You can get drywall specified at different thicknesses, and also double up if you really want to build a 100-year home, or you can try a layer of drywall, and a layer of some type of acoustical panel if sound and noise is important to you.

You can definitely spec out top of the line stuff in building, but your typical large home-builder is just interested in selling big box homes and pricing them high by the Square Foot.

Newer Fire Stations in CA are a good example of premium construction typically. Seems like firefighters are now like Royalty, at least in CA.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    carnaught said:

Well, it's too late for that I think. Their house here has sold and they are moving out in less than a month.

The thing is, he has always seen the house that they sold as something they would sell eventually and downsize out of, using the proceeds to help them in retirement. The issue here is that they are moving to such a god-forsaken area because of her parents. They could have done something similar in terms of dollars an hour or more closer to town. But that is off the table once they start spending money on the mega-shop construction come June.

• Options
    driver100 said:

Funny though, I don't know how you reacted when introduced.....probably "Holy cow man, are you kidding me?" Hope not!

I don't know what the look on my face was, but I remember being shocked in a funny kind of way. I'm sure I probably had a big smile on my face when Bob introduced us.

• Options

I wouldn't feel sorry for Billy, he has more money than he'll ever need. He just got caught doing what almost every dealer does to some extent.

He does donate a lot of money to women's causes. I don't know if that makes up for the sleazy hard sell he uses. I think I mentioned here that my BIL claimed he needed a bath after visiting Billy's Nissan store.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    driver100 said:

Marco...I like one of his current commercials where he says he has these special offers because he likes helping people who are having problems in life. He goes on to explain how he was once down and out and was barely surviving at one point. That's why he likes to help. It would be interesting to read a biography about Billy, just to see how he got where he did.....and to see if his story is true! (why would I doubt him?)
    He's such a local character that who knows what's true. Last winter he didn't appear in any commercials for months and one of his sidekicks explained that he was "down south buying cars". The rumor mill had him in jail for beating up his female announcer Caroline or for getting hooked on Cocaine. Who knows.

Billy is using an old axiom of advertizing: people will remember very good or very bad commercials but the really good entertaining commercials don't cause people to remember the PRODUCT. When a commercial gets on your nerves you remember what they are selling.

• Options
    fordfoolfordfool Member Posts: 240
    tjc78 said:

@nyccarguy
    We sleep with the windows open maybe 5 or 10 times a year.  I'm a wuss and in my house it's usually either heat or AC running.

Same here in Buffalo. I think Spring and Fall each last about three days. ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2017

@driver100,
    The 2 cars listed for 20% off were not a color I could buy.
    16% off a car you can buy and drive is better than a vapor-benz for 4% off. ;)

Not necessarily........there is a reason the SS is 16% off! ;)

And the vapor Benz is 4% off!

Besides, the Benz has been freshly prepared and good cars like good food and fine wine take time, makes them even more valuable.

• Options
    Right now these cars are listed for 2% off, but I am willing to wait to see if the offers get better.
    16% off something real is better than paying up front for something that doesn't exist. ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    fordfool said:

tjc78 said:

@nyccarguy
    We sleep with the windows open maybe 5 or 10 times a year.  I'm a wuss and in my house it's usually either heat or AC running.

Same here in Buffalo. I think Spring and Fall each last about three days. ;)
    So, Fordfool, I gotta ask you.....since you are an American citizen and can live anywhere in this great nation...........why, oh why, why do you live in Buffalo?

In a way i am joking, I know it can be jobs, family, friends, way of life, and Buffalo does have something going for it. Like most places that are let us say, hmm, a bit rough, it does have a heart and spirit, and I love the area just south of Buffalo, including Ellicotville.

But, I'd be curious to know why you live there?