Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,946
    edited May 2017

People with that bad of credit probably have no intention of paying back the loan, so it doesn't matter what the rate is.

Not necessarily... my wife is stuck with bad credit because her worthless [non-permissible content removed] of a mother stole her identity and left her hanging on a mortgage. We've repaired it to an extent but have her completely locked down and even she can't obtain credit unless we contact all three credit bureaus which isn't worth the hassle so we don't.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,444
    Her own mother?  That's unbelievable!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    I've been on the Epclusa (antiviral for Hep C) for 3 weeks.  The side effects are murder.  I tire easily and feel weak - pains in my shoulders and joints - trouble sleeping.  But I still force myself to walk every morning.  I have to keep hydrated as well.

I have my blood tests on Monday to check my viral count.  If the pills are working, the virus is supposed to be undetectable.  Even if it's undetectable, the important blood tests are the ones at 4, 8 and 12 weeks "post prescription meds".  In other words, after I've finished the regimen (I take the pills for 12 straight weeks) if the virus is undetectable after the 16th, 20th and 24th week after starting the drug, I'm considered cured.

1-1/2 years ago, I took Harvoni for 12 weeks and the virus was undetectable while taking the drug for the 4th, 8th and 12th week.  But 4 weeks after ending the regimen the virus was again detectable which devastated me.  I'm praying this medication is successful in ridding the Hep C from my body.

So the first step is to make sure the blood test results after 3 weeks into the regimen show no detectable virus.  If there is detectable virus they stop the medication and I'm doomed for sure.  If undetectable, they continue the medication for another 4 weeks and again test my blood.  If still undetectable, I continue the drug for the final 4 weeks and my blood is again tested.  

My viral count 5 weeks ago was over 500,000.  So I'll know if the drug is working 10-14 days after they take the 22 vials of blood on Monday.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    edited May 2017
    nyccarguy said:

Not really. I've always said your family is much more likely to screw you than a stranger. That's why I'm glad pretty much all of my immediate family are gone. Makes holidays really calm and enjoyable.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • Options
    thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    @abacomike, sending good thoughts your way for good news on the blood tests.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,580
    Google Ryan Howard the baseball player and see what his famil did to him.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    thebean said:

That's for sure and I know all of us are doing the same thing.

Hang in there Mike...we'll get you through this.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• Options

jmonroe said:

That's for sure and I know all of us are doing the same thing.

Hang in there Mike...we'll get you through this.

jmonroe

Thanks!   :)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

thebean said:

Thanks!  :)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

thebean said:

Not really. I've always said your family is much more likely to screw you than a stranger. That's why I'm glad pretty much all of my immediate family are gone. Makes holidays really calm and enjoyable.

OUCH!  :o

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,159
    abacomike said:

So I'll know if the drug is working 10-14 days after they take the 22 vials of blood on Monday.

I hope for the best outcome for you.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,740
    All the best, Mike. You'll be good, so many more cars to buy. You have to keep up with the Jone, I mean your brother!

I think your brother is breld in retirement.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options

So I'll know if the drug is working 10-14 days after they take the 22 vials of blood on Monday.

Thanks, Imid!   :)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

All the best, Mike. You'll be good, so many more cars to buy. You have to keep up with the Jone, I mean your brother!

Thanks much!   :)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    @abacomike, all of the above best wishes for you!!
  • Options

Thanks much!   :)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

carnaught said:

@abacomike, all of the above best wishes for you!!

Thanks, carnaught!  :)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,507
    edited May 2017
    nyccarguy said:

Sadly, it's not. Things like this are what helped me develop my wonderful attitude over many decades:

Happiness = Reality - Expectations

My expectations used to be much higher. Now I'm happier.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options

Michaell said:

@abacomike - you're gonna drive that BMW into the ground!

I've had my Jetta 9 months now, and it only has 4200 miles on it.

Hope you stay well.

Thanks, Michael!   :)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913

abacomike said:

Same here Mike - good luck on Monday. 
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    So the Sci-Fi movies Prometheus and Passengers have medical bay pods where a computer and robot can heal you with medical attention, surgical precision, and automatically administered drugs.

Seems that large cars that MSRP over $70K should start to have this included as standard equipment.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options

bwia said:

abacomike said:

Thanks bwia  :)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,980
    tjc78 said:

People with that bad of credit probably have no intention of paying back the loan, so it doesn't matter what the rate is.

Not necessarily... my wife is stuck with bad credit because her worthless [non-permissible content removed] of a mother stole her identity and left her hanging on a mortgage. We've repaired it to an extent but have her completely locked down and even she can't obtain credit unless we contact all three credit bureaus which isn't worth the hassle so we don't.

I thought my SIL was bad enough telling me he put the business credit card in his name and he was guarantor, but then I found out he didn't do that at all. So we would have been on the hook for the $100000 owing. Fortunately I decided to double check. But a mother!!!!!!!!!!! and it sounds like it could have been for even more.

You have to trust in life....socially and in business, but always be on guard, about 5% of the population are conartists or have absolutely no conscience!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    thebean said:

+1

• Options

driver100 said:

+1

Thanks, driver!   :)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,400
    Hang in there, Mike!
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    thebean said:

nyccarguy said:

I found your comment interesting bean. I don't know about family......That saying about you can choose your friends but you can't choose your relatives is true. You choose friends because they have similar values and interests.......with family you are more or less stuck with what you have.

I would say out of about 30 fairly close family members, 2/3rds are nice people, of the remaining 10 maybe 8 are OK but I can't say for sure - I have some suspicions, but 2 are a real problem. Those odds are probably about the same in the general public.

When there are problems in a family, they do get magnified because you can't go out and find new family members. I am envious of families that truly do care for each other and can have a good time getting together - some of the family is that way and some are a real pain.

• Options

Hang in there, Mike!

Thanks FF!  :)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    I just heard on the news this evening that Fiat/Chrysler is recalling over 1 million - that's right, over 1 million Dodge trucks and SUV's for a "glitch" in the computer software that inhibits airbags from deploying in a roll-over accident.  I believe it was reported that there has been 1 death and several injuries due to the defect in the truck's onboard computer.  Ugh!   :o

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    stickguy said:

Craig, keep in mind that most pure electrics, by nature, are going to be lower miles. Not like you can hop in and do a long road trip! I could actually do just fine with one as a 2nd car, and probably would put 3k miles a year on it, at most. And I get majority of owners won't come close to breaking 10k

Two things will contribute to that battery life. Miles and TIME.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,105
    All good thoughts being sent your way, Mike.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options

ab348 said:

All good thoughts being sent your way, Mike.

Thanks "ab"!   :)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    More of those same caring thoughts your way, abacomike!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options

More of those same caring thoughts your way, abacomike!

Thanks iluv!   :)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    @abacomike mentioned buying an extended warranty. I have bought 3 now for my GM's for varying reasons, realizing that I probably lose money on each based on the actuaries.

But buying one sooner is better than buying later on a new GM, at least that's the way it used to be with GMPP. Buying within the first year had a reduced price, probably because the owner hadn't had time to decide the model would tend to have more repairs. Buying after the 1 year mark up to the end of the b to b warranty at 3 or 4 years (or 36 or 48K) meant a higher pricing. After the original b to b warranty was out no more GM extended warranty.

Then GM went to the GMEP warranty where the tables aren't published but pricing is determined by the computer based on the purchase date and the mileage on the car and that is quoted by an authorized seller. I bought mine through what I determined to be the best discounter and that was Black Cadillac (Pontiac) GMC in Elizabethtown, PA or something like that.

Are these things the same with other car brands? Are there dealers that discount the Honda extended warranty, e.g..

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,186
    edited May 2017
    He has good taste. Those are amazing and tempting cars (as they suffer extreme depreciation). It's funny that a new car that probably has an average transaction price in the 130s can be called a value - the next step up is a Bentley, which is more posh, but not enough to correspond for being 100% more expensive. The next step down is quite a bit smaller, too.

And good luck with the medical stuff, you've made it this far, this will be a breeze :)
    abacomike said:

He had both - the S Class Coupe AND the CL Coupe.  The S Class Coupe replaced the CL Coupe.  Both cars were exquisite - probably two of the best cars produced on an assembly line.

• Options

Then GM went to the GMEP warranty where the tables aren't published but pricing is determined by the computer based on the purchase date and the mileage on the car and that is quoted by an authorized seller. I bought mine through what I determined to be the best discounter and that was Black Cadillac (Pontiac) GMC in Elizabethtown, PA or something like that.

Are these things the same with other car brands? Are there dealers that discount the Honda extended warranty, e.g..

Didn't dealers sell warranties that were offered by the sleazy independent warranty companies in the early years? IIRC, the dealers made a commission on selling after market warranties. I suppose in those cases the dealer could take a lower commission and still make a bit on the warranty. I guess they could still do it on a manufacturers warranty, but, maybe discouraged from doing it or don't want to lose anything on a fairly big money maker for them.

• Options
    @driver1000 said Didn't dealers sell warranties that were offered by the sleazy independent warranty companies in the early years? IIRC, the dealers made a commission on selling after market warranties. I suppose in those cases the dealer could take a lower commission and still make a bit on the warranty. I guess they could still do it on a manufacturers warranty, but, maybe discouraged from doing it or don't want to lose anything on a fairly big money maker for them.

I am talking about real manufacturers' warranties. That's the only ones I would buy. The aftermarket are profit centers and are here today and gone tomorrow as soon as the claims start coming in.

• Options
    I guess the question is "Will a dealer discount a manufacturers extended warranty?" I have never purchased an extended warranty so I can't answer. The C250 came with the CPO warranty that was included in the price of the car.

You would think they could discount a warranty from their cut of the commission, but, usually if a person wants the EW they are willing to pay full price for it.....kind of a take it or leave it purchase.

If I was keeping a foreign luxury car past the warranty period I would consider an EW. I know I would probably lose on it financially, but the peace of mind of knowing that my car won't need a really major $10k repair for 3 years may be worth paying out $1000 a year for coverage.

• Options

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,695

@abacomike mentioned buying an extended warranty. I have bought 3 now for my GM's for varying reasons, realizing that I probably lose money on each based on the actuaries.

But buying one sooner is better than buying later on a new GM, at least that's the way it used to be with GMPP. Buying within the first year had a reduced price, probably because the owner hadn't had time to decide the model would tend to have more repairs. Buying after the 1 year mark up to the end of the b to b warranty at 3 or 4 years (or 36 or 48K) meant a higher pricing. After the original b to b warranty was out no more GM extended warranty.

I remember getting offers from the ford dealer during the first year I owned the Mustang. Was about $1500 for whatever coverage it offered. It wasn't clear what the extended warranty offered beyond the factory warranty and since I would run out on time long before I reached the mileage limit it seemed to be worthless to me.

That's one of the reasons I don't like EWs.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,695
    driver100 said:

I guess the question is "Will a dealer discount a manufacturers extended warranty?" I have never purchased an extended warranty so I can't answer. The C250 came with the CPO warranty that was included in the price of the car.

You would think they could discount a warranty from their cut of the commission, but, usually if a person wants the EW they are willing to pay full price for it.....kind of a take it or leave it purchase.

If I was keeping a foreign luxury car past the warranty period I would consider an EW. I know I would probably lose on it financially, but the peace of mind of knowing that my car won't need a really major $10k repair for 3 years may be worth paying out $1000 a year for coverage.

If I thought ANY car I was considering might need a $10k repair...EVER...I wouldn't buy it in the first place.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    Several times I've looked at purchasing an  extended warranty but just couldn't get over all the exceptions and exclusions. 

BTW, only the manufacturer offers a warranty. The so-called extended warranties are in fact service agreements. 

Imid, if I recall correctly, I believe Toyota dealers did sell EWs at a discount--at least to me. That was 15 years ago, not sure if this is still true today though. 
  • Options
    Speaking of extended warranties - why are CPO warranties often better  (at least longer) than the original new car factory warranty?

Now, thinking about it -- i just answered my question -- the warranty cost is baked in the price of the CPO in the first place.

As they say there is no free lunch 

• Options
    tommister2tommister2 Member Posts: 393

driver100 said:

Honda dealers were discounting warranties (plus selling them online) but too many dealers complained and now Honda has cracked down on it. Just another flaw in this sales model we are forced to live with. In my opinion, the dealer should be free to sell the warranty for as high or low a price as they see fit. 
    2011 Toyota Camry, 2014 Jeep Wrangler, 2017 Honda Civic Coupe, 2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XSE, 2021 Toyota Tundra, 2022 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Tesla Model 3
  • Options

bwia said:

Speaking of extended warranties - why are CPO warranties often better  (at least longer) than the original new car factory warranty?

Now, thinking about it -- i just answered my question -- the warranty cost is baked in the price of the CPO in the first place.

As they say there is no free lunch 

Additionally, the CPO warranties are based on a TOTAL of "6 years or 100,000 miles" whichever comes first.  That means a CPO vehicle is warranted until the vehicle itself is 6 years old and up to 100,000 TOTAL miles.  So a 3 year old CPO vehicle with 35,000 miles on the odometer is warranted for 3 more years or 65,000 more miles.

Mercedes offers an unlimited mileage warranty for a set number of years which is a much better warranty than most manufacturers offer onCPO's.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    bwia said:

abacomike said:

abacomike said:

+1
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options

abacomike said:

+1

Thanks GG!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,963

I remember getting offers from the ford dealer during the first year I owned the Mustang. Was about $1500 for whatever coverage it offered. It wasn't clear what the extended warranty offered beyond the factory warranty and since I would run out on time long before I reached the mileage limit it seemed to be worthless to me.

That's one of the reasons I don't like EWs.

I paid $800 for the one on my Mustang. They probably knew I'd trade before ever needing it. ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S