Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 5-Series Maintenance and Repair

1484950515254»

Comments

• Options
    james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    Change the oil and filter at the time the computer suggests OR one year, whichever comes first. ANd, use the recommended oil. At least at my dealership, they'll do this under warranty for free.
  • Options
    milner007milner007 Member Posts: 20
    Thanks- I'll try that at my dealership but I am not optimistic- they never do anything for free!
  • Options
    busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    Thanks- I'll try that at my dealership but I am not optimistic- they never do anything for free!

I agree with James27... Change the oil at a minimum once each year.

Also, my dealership (Greenville, SC) provides the annual oil change at no fee.
  • Options
    johnshinjohnshin Member Posts: 2
    Hi Guys,

I'm a first time BMW 528 2009 owner and my warranty is running out next month.

I'm looking for some advice on whether I should buy the extended warranty?
    Do i buy from 3rd party or BMW?
    IS it worth it?

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It would be good to know a) what you're paying for it and b) what exclusions are in the warranty. This helps to determine value.
  • Options
    johnshinjohnshin Member Posts: 2
    Thank you Mr.Shiftright,

I have no idea what I should be looking to purchase....

If I do buy the warranty, do you have any recommendations on what I need to pay and what exclusions I should buy?

Sorry i'm green to this and don't want to get ripped off..

thanks for your advice
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited August 2012
    Well the 'exclusions' are already written into the contract they will offer you, and these are specifically listed as things they will NOT pay for. So you have to know all the exclusions.

Is this warranty from BMW or a 3rd party? That's also an important thing to know. Perhaps your next step is to get a copy of the warranty contract and study it for a couple hours.

Here's a good EXTENDED WARRANTY TUTORIAL from Edmunds.

This should help you along!
  • Options
    helpmenowhelpmenow Member Posts: 6
    I recommend purchasing the BMW extended warranty. I believe it is more reliable and covers more, but make sure it includes a loaner vehicle. BMW original warranty is comprehensive. Other extended warranties do not have good reps. So--just do your research :)
    Helena
  • Options
    Hi- I bot a 2011 535i with 9 miles on it in Nov 2011. Last month when it hit 8500 miles I had to add a quart of oil. I had a 2000 528i before this car and I never had to add oil in between changes. Is this normal? The service guy at the dealership said this was not uncommon because the turbo engine tends to use more oil. Is this true or might there be a problem? I don't drive the car overly aggressively. Thanks.
  • Options
    james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    Their v8 tends to use more than the I6, but what you're seeing is within normal industry standards. Mine still showed full after 11.5K (a 535), but I don't know how 'normal' that is, as it's my first BMW. A good first 1K can make a difference. Lots of start/stop and short trips can be a factor. Long highway trips (mine had a fair amount of those miles) might end up less stressful.
  • Options
    x021627x021627 Member Posts: 152
    It's normal. I had a 2008 528xi, which never needed oil. I now have a 2011 535 drive that I had to add a quart. Heard its normal for turbos. This was about 12k miles. I'm now at 26k and I see the need to add another quart. Nothing to worry about IMHO :)
  • Options
    Thanks to both- I figured it was sort of OK- now that there is no dipstick (which I hate) it maybe is a little more accurate or something
  • Options
    530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    This weekend I passed 200k miles on my 2002 530i 5 speed/sport package. Car was bought through the European Delivery Program, delivered in Munich on July 4, 2002. No problems at all, still on original clutch. Maintenance costs are:

Scheduled 7041.22
    Recurring 10071.59
    Damage 848.00
    Unscheduled 6615.06

Total 23876.17 0.12/mile

MPG since new: 26.5

Average speed: 47.8 MPH
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,228
    That's amazing... since my commute changed, I've moved from averaging around 36 mph up to 41 mph... My mileage is still around 26 mpg..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    mr_mmr_m Member Posts: 2
    If you own one or owned one please share your experience.
    looking to buy used, 2008-2009 528i or 535i xDrive and I need to know if it worth a money
    I know it drives and handles well but, I see lot mixed reviews. just how reliable is this car!?
    what it the major problems if there is any? (i know German car is fun to drive, but some is pain in the a.. :sick: )
  • Options
    motorcity3motorcity3 Member Posts: 72
    edited June 2014

I just purchased a CPO 2011 535xi. What the most common repairs that might occur that a CPO Extended Maintenance would not cover? Also are there any recommendations for another good third party bumper to bumper warranty?