Part welded to frame bent in accident

willwynewillwyne Member Posts: 1
edited July 2014 in Dodge

Here I have some pictures of a part welded to the frame that was bent in an accident. I am doing most of the repairs myself to save money but I'm a little stumped on how to get this piece back into shape. It hosts the headlight so all the holes in it have to be precise. I went to an auto body shop and their suggestion was to basically tie it up to a tree and yank on it. I feel there has to be a better way. Any suggestions would be helpful!!!


  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 213,807

    What year and model is your Dodge?

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

    Edmunds Moderator

  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaMember Posts: 64,482

    You might be able to rent a "Porta-Power" tool kit but that requires something to brace the hydraulic ram against, and I can't see things all that clearly from the photo.

    If you don't have a frame puller and you can't weld, the body shop's suggestion, as barbaric as it seems, may be your only option. Basically what he's saying is that you apply force in the exact opposite direction from whence it originally came.

    The problem with this type of pulling is that you don't have the control that you get with a frame puller. Applying enough heat to help bend the metal back into place is tricky in tight places.

Sign In or Register to comment.