Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A4 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Hi. I have a 2002 Audi A4 with approximately 30000 mi. I was wondering if anyone has experienced any loss of power brakes, specifically when putting the car in reverse. This is a completely sporadic occurance and this will be the 5th time to the dealer for the issue. Along with it we have been noticing, the fuel gauge & electric readout on dash (ex. 50 mi left) incorrectly stating the amount of gas left in the car. When we filled the car up the gauge only adjusted to 3/4 of a tank. The date also changes itself. I'm guessing this is an electrical issue but would like to know if anyone has experienced any similar problems or has any suggestions. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
  • hmplshmpls Posts: 2
    I bought a used 2001 Audi A4 AWD, 2.8 Eng. 5Spd with under 20K miles. The car dirves nicely but using oil...about a quart every 2K miles. The dealer says it's normal! Is it true? Does anyone have the same problem? My old 95 Honda Civic never uses even a drop of oil!

Thanks for your help.
  • hmpls, that seems excessive. Our '98.5 2.8 uses some oil, but I've never had to add a full quart - maybe a half quart in between oil changes. I've stuck to a 3000 mile interval since buying new...did your car have a service record so you know how often the previous owner changed his or her oil?
  • hmplshmpls Posts: 2
    Thanks, JBaumgart! It was a company car from another state and I have no history on the car. Apparently a lot of VWs and Audis have the same problem (I searched prior discussions on oil consumption).
  • Just got my brakes changed at a non audi shop. I bought the pads without sensors by accident. they still work though however I get this all the time now (0). Assuming that's the brake light symbol. Is there any way to get rid of that brake light?
  • Has anybody else had a problem with their A4 digital radio display? I have a 1999 1.8 and had the radio replaced twice while still under warranty. No one could tell me why the garbled display was happening. They would simply throw in another radio. Now I'm out of the warranty period and wondering how to fix this. It sounds fine, the display simply has missing pixels as well as pixels that shouldn't even be there.
  • Audi A4, the model with memory seats and mirrors has a malfunction. As a selling point, the two remote keys can be assigned to two different seat and mirror positions, so if husband or wife open the car with their keys, the seat and mirror can restore to his/hers position. The bug is the right mirror can not be restored.

The bug makes this big selling point useless since you need to push the button to restore the position anyway. And it is a potancial danger since you are easily ignore the right mirror until you are on the road. Then try to push the button on the door.

I struggled with this problem for my new 2002 A4 3.0 for nearly 1 year, talk to dealer, AudiUSA and AudiUSA field rep many times. About half year ago, the field rep let me stop complaining and tell me it will be fixed in 2003 model. But now, it turned out it still not functional in 2003 model and I was told they just does not want to fix it and put it as work per design.

It is horrible for Audi not to fix such an apparent problem for such a long time, and looks like there is no way certain level of decision-maker can hear customer’s voice.
  • The latest info I got is the fix will be finally come in at the beginning of next year. Let us wait and see. And it is still very very unpleasant experience that it took Audi more than 1 year to fix a problem.
  • I am interested in buying '03 A4 3.0 quattro. Thanks for posting all the problems that you guys have experienced so far such as the wind noise, AC noise, and the problems with the memory seats.
    I was wondering if there are any other potential problems that I should be aware of. I come from a Japanese car background and have not had ANY problems with them, especially my Lexus that I'm driving now. The sterotype is that German cars have a lot more small problems, such as electrical, than the Japanese cars do.

Thanks in advance~!
  • neaudineaudi Posts: 21
    "sunroof is open-it seems to be a vibration sounding or something"

I had the same question on my A6. Turns out I only got the vibration when I opened the sunroof all the way. There is a line on the sunroof control that you should not go past. It leaves the sunroof about 80% open and there is no vibration. Basically, with the sunroof open all the way, it allow air in the car with no way of exiting the car. Same thing will happen if you open just 1 window. Hope this helps.
  • I have a 2002 A4 Quattro 1.8T. I had an engine coil go out on me in the first 3 mounts of owning the car. Does any one know if this is common.

Now the most important thing is second gear does not work. It is rough to say the least and some times it will not go into gear at all, in both upshifting and downshifting. I have had it into the dealer three times now. The first two time they said that they were not able to see the problem. The third tiem they changed the trans. fluid from synthetic to a mineral and just made things worse. I have no confidence in this car and am frustrated. has anyone had problems like this, and does anyone know a good place to find info about lemon laws.
    Thanks
  • Karen_SKaren_S Posts: 5,095

Edmunds Manager UGC Click on my screen name to send a personal message. Need help navigating? Check out Getting Started in Edmunds Forums.
    Need help picking out a make/model, finding inventory, or advice on pricing? Talk to an Edmunds Car Shopping Advisor

• Weijietang,
    has the dealer fix your car problem ? please let me know. I have the same problem with you and it is really frustrating. Is this happen to every car or just some car that you and I was unlucky on ?

Olivier
  • In response to "snotar1", yes the dealer did replace all four of my coils. My work order specifically states 'found coil bad on cylinder 1, replaced all 4 coils.' I do believe that if they stated they replaced them that they did indeed replace all four.

A friend from Boston called me today (Sunday, January 26, 2003) to tell me that there's a big article in the Boston Globe about this coil problem in the Audi A4 and one of the VW Models. I'm going to check to see if the article can be viewed on their website.

The article stated that Audi was only replacing the coils as they misfired because of a shortage of replacement coils. The article also stated that Audi didn't view this problem as a safety issue. What crap!

If anyone hears rumblings about a class action suit let me know because I'm ready to join.
  • 1-A random noise during acceleration and decelleration.
    2-A shift is driver side mirror that requires the memory button to be pressed every time.
    3-A loud knocking sound that occurs right after car is started (occurs about 4-5 times a month).

If anyone came across with these problems and were able to correct them, please e-mail me at "mcmuney@attbi.com" and let me know.

Thanks!
  • I won't go over the problem all over again, as I have previously post it under the plain "A4" discussion. Please refer to my recent posts there.

I finally realize that the sound only happens from cold start, or when I turn off the ignition and restart the car. After putting the car in 1st, the sound is more noticeable with windows up, and occurs as I release the clutch. But at stop lights, when I again start from 1st, I don't ever hear the sound. Is it normal to have a 1 second klunk sound when the clutch is released during 1st gear after start of ignition? Is it possible that there are other clutch release sounds that I don't hear because it is masked by high speed. I have 235 miles on it. Can I go back to the dealer and say, I take the other one in the lot? Yeah right. What do you all think.
  • If you only hear the sound upon starting the car, then it can be attributed to the ABS self-check that is performed. Many owners of the '02 - '03 A4 have noticed this. This sound happens for all A4 models with either the manual, auto, or CVT tranny.

It has been deemed by AoA as a normal sound and does not cause any harm or wear to the system. Hope this helps!
  • According to my technician at the dealership, the ABS check sound occurs within 2-5 seconds after the gear is put to drive and accelarator is pressed (during initial movement). The sound is more like a clicking sound. This should occur every single time.

If the sound is coming right after the car is started, I don't think it's ABS related.
  • I have my Audi Quattro A4 2003, within 1 month, I found couples of problem with the car already.

1) cup holder at the front dash broke lose. it open but could not close. One trip to dealer, they fixed it.

2)lights on the tilt button for power sunroof are dead. The saleman said it broke the diode inside the knob, they reschedule to fix it in my second visit with the mirrors problem below. after I received the car today, the service department man said, it was built like that. totally different with the saleman told me at the first visit after they open up the car.

3)Mirrors are not adjust with remote control. I brought it to dealer twice and nothing fix yet. they claim it fixed but it isn't. I will have to go to the dealer again tomorrow (december 24, 2002)

3)Headrest of the driver seat can not go all the way down like passanger seat. I just found this out this afternoon (december 23,2002). I will bring this to my saleman attention during tomorrow visit.

4) the headlight is a little bit out adjustment. one it pointing right and one is lower.

I do'nt know what Should I say to AUDI. I think this is my first Audi Car but it will also be my last Audi. BMW or Mercedes will be replace on my next car purchase. My wife Acura 3.2 TL 2002 is even better built than this AUDI QUATTRO. Audi is just a big fat name brand without any quality.

• Hi All; I am interested in hearing from anyone about engine vibration problems experienced with the 1.8T and Tiptronic engine. I have a severe vibration that is transmitted up through the seat and frame of the car at idle and it actually improves with the AC on. Further there are bands of severe vibration at 2100 rpm and again at other points along the rpm range.

The problem is so bad that I do not believe I can resell the car with this level of vibration and it is really uncomfortable driving. My experiences with Audi is that they refuse to do anything about it and they say it is "normal". Has anyone else experienced this?

Vibrating Joe
  • I share your feelings. I've owned my 2003 A4 for nearly 3 months now and this site does not have enough space to note all of my issues.

I also noticed the headlight were out of balance, on mine...the right is higher, like this __/--. If yours is the same, it could be normal. I'll have to mention it the next time I take it in.

I haven't had any interior lights go off yet, but I did have an exterior light malfunction, I kept getting errors saying that my headligh, rear lights are not working, this was fixed after 3 trips to the dealership.

I do have mirror issues, which tend to shift automatically at times, but the times are unknown.

My main issues are noise related. I have one knocking sound that occurs right after the car is started, but this does not occur all the time. The other noise occurs during evening drives, it starts during acceleration between 40-60mph and continues at all speeds upto 60mph during acceleration and decelleration.

This whole car is a mystery!!
  • MCMUNEY,
    do you have the light on the swith that tilt the power sunroof luminated ? these aren't the light around the switch. the one i am talking about is on the swith. please confirm this.

and your right handside mirror working with the remote control?

We should compile a list of owner complains and send it to audi so they can work on these problems or call back their faulty product.

I brought my car to the dealer this morning December 27, 2002 to the right mirror, light on the knob that open the sunroof. All i get from their answer:
    FOR MIRROR " IT DOES NOT SAY IN THE MANUAL THAT THE RIGHT MIRROR WILL WORK WITH REMOTE CONTROL"
    FOR LIGHT ON THE KNOB " THE LIGHT ISN'T BUILT IN FOR 2003"..

i was about to curse because I pay a lot of money for this car and it isn't up to my wife Acura 3.2 TL. Her car just have every features that this damn stupid audi has and IT WORKS FLAWLESS.

I knew that I will not buy anymore of AUDI does not matter how great they are later on even they are called back to fix the problem.
  • I have a 2002 A4 3.0 sp Manual. Here are the list of problems to date:
    1) Faulty rear seat back latches - replaced
    2) Transmission problems. 1st and 2nd gear mechanisms replaced
    3) Power steering fluid vanished
    4) CAM shaft adjusters broken. Currently being replaced.

Has any one else seen such problems? The car is only 1 year old. I'm quite upset that a car costing nearly 40K (USD) has so many serious problems.
  • drew37drew37 Posts: 62
    bosstweed: unfortunately ignition coil (coilpack) failure is becoming an increasing problem in '02 1.8T's and to a lesser extent in 3.0's. And now may be starting in '03 A4's. There are estimates that as many as 10-15% of 02's have had this problem. Some more than once. There are rumors of a recall in the coming months. At audiworld.com this is a very hot topic of conversation.
  • ...the right is higher, like this __/--.....this is normal. Left side is lower to reduce glare for oncoming traffic.
  • Recently replaced rear passenger door molding and now notice that front passenger and driver side molding is separating from doors. Car with only 48k miles is out of warranty and Audi says I have to pay to replace molding. Has anyone else experienced this problem and were you able to get Audi to pay for it even if out of warranty? I suspect its a design defect that Audi won't admit to.
  • Same problem here after about 53,000 miles on my '98.5 - have replaced both driver's side door moldings in the last six months (at my expense, which I didn't question 'cause I knew it was out of warranty). I think the spring clips that hold the molding in place are prone to deterioration - seem to have about a 5 year life expectancy.
  • We purchased a new 2003 Audi A4 3.0 quattro, fully loaded in October. At 4,000 miles the car started missing badly, nearly broke down before getting it back to the dealer for repair. Took the dealer a several days to determine the problem, but nearly two weeks to have the part--an entire new wiring harness for the left side of the engine--shipped over from Europe. Anyone else have or heard of this problem? We're worried sick we may have purchased a lemon . . . should have bought the BMW instead.?.?
  • mcmuneymcmuney Posts: 64
    DEADCPU,
    You are absolutely correct!!!

The switch itself does not light up. I did not notice this before and I'll surely bring it up at my next appointment.

Same problem with the right mirror, it does not change with the remote (keyless entry) and requires pressing the memory button that is on the driver door. I will have to address this issue as well.

As for the headlights, according to 02A4CURT (on post #117), it is normal for the right to be higher. I'll double check this information with the dealership as well.

It is just BS what the dealership is telling you. If the right mirror does not shift, it defeats the whole purpose of having a keyless memory seating and mirror function. The representatives are fairly nice at my dealership. I'm curious to see what they have to say.

As for writing to Audi, they don't seem to care. I've written to them several times regarding my issues and all I get from them is a letter stating that the car is within "technical specification" and that the dealership will make any necessary repairs that is under warranty.

Do you have some of my other problems that I'm having:

1)A random klunk/knocking sound when the car starts?
    2)Any type of consistent noise that occurs while acceleration and/or de-acceleration?

These two are my main issues.
  • mcmuneymcmuney Posts: 64
    ZIHUAT,
    Ouch!! That sounds terrible. I also purchased my 03 A4 3.0 CVT in October, but I haven't had that problem yet, but then again, I haven't reached 4K yet. I'm closer to 3.5K, I'll let you know how things turn out later in the year. I did have a minor electrical malfunction that kept telling me that none of my right lights were working, but that was taken care of after 4 trips.

I'm not a big fan of the BMW's (except the 525 series), but even though the A4 is a great experience WHEN it is trouble free, all the headaches that owners are having is definitely not worth it.