Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A4 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I am looking at buying a beautiful '00 A4 2.8 Quattro (43k) at a FANTASTIC price. The only issue is that it was made for Canada and I live in the US. Does anyone see any potential problems? The title is clean, it was imported correctly, the local dealer has been servicing the car under warranty. It just seems to good to be true.
  • w210w210 Posts: 188
    No problem with Canadian models, in fact, they have stronger bumpers!
  • I have noticed this problem at highway speeds when the windows or the sunroof is open-it seems to be a vibration sounding or something, but usually cracking open the front windows when I just have the sunroof open or I will crack the rear windows if I hear the noise when just the front windows are open. I suspect that this is just the airflow over the vehicle interacting with the openings and that no amoung of dealer tweaking will ever "solve" this problem. Other than this, my Audi seems to be well-designed and I love it. No mechanical problems or complaints with over 9000 miles on my 1.8 Quattro Sedan.
  • I have a 2001 A4 2.8Q with just under 30K miles. Over the past 15K miles, I've had to replace each headlight twice! The trips to the dealer are getting a little frustrating, even though it's still under warranty. Has anyone else had problems with this? The dealer keeps telling me it depends on the amount of use, but I can't believe that's the case when I only use them at night or in the rain. Please let me know if anyone has had similar problems.

Separately, I've also had the radio/CD display problem with the frequency display cutting out on the dashboard. I mentioned it to the dealer and they had been instructed by Audi to replace the radio if a customer complains, not the dashboard. They replaced the radio and I've had no problems since.

Thanks for any help with the headlights.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    On our '98 2.8Q with over 53,000 miles we've had to replace just one headlight so far. And this just happened a couple of months ago - no burnouts until then. And this is the first "electrical" type of issue we've ever had with the car - not really a problem because you expect headlights, taillights, etc to start to go our after 4+ years and 50,000 miles. But I think in your case having to replace each headlight twice, in just 15,000 miles, is excessive. Sounds to me like it could be an electrical problem of some kind, but I suppose too that it could just be the luck of the draw (as in bad luck). If it were to happen again anytime soon I would definitely press the dealer (or a different dealer?) really hard to look at this more closely. You certainly don't want this to continue to happen regularly, especially when your car goes out of warranty (although in our case our dealer replaced our headlight for no charge, well after the warranty had expired).
  • Thanks, JBaumgart. It looks like a new dealer who can actually answer my questions may be the answer.
  • I plan to order an A4 Avant soon and am considering an extended warranty. I plan to keep the car at least 10 years. Can anyone help me with things like the type warranty I should get, what they cover, the cost, and what price I should expect to pay. I've heard there is a huge markup on extended warranties but I haven't been able to find out how much. By the way, the best price on the car I have gotten so far is $1400 over invoice. How's that sound?
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    I don't know if I would purchase an extended warranty at the time of purchase. You will be 100% protected for 4 years/50,000 miles, and can buy an extended warranty at any time up until then. During this time it's possible that you could change your mind about keeping the car beyond the normal warranty period, and if so you wouldn't be getting your money's worth on the extension. Maybe some other folks have some good reasons for buying it right away, but I can't think of any right now...

Your price seems real good, especially on the Avant which others have said is in short supply.
  • ve a vibration/harmonic/noise problem. It starts at about 2200 rpm. Are you sure you vibration is from wind? Anyone else have a similar problem?
  • Hi. I have a 2002 Audi A4 with approximately 30000 mi. I was wondering if anyone has experienced any loss of power brakes, specifically when putting the car in reverse. This is a completely sporadic occurance and this will be the 5th time to the dealer for the issue. Along with it we have been noticing, the fuel gauge & electric readout on dash (ex. 50 mi left) incorrectly stating the amount of gas left in the car. When we filled the car up the gauge only adjusted to 3/4 of a tank. The date also changes itself. I'm guessing this is an electrical issue but would like to know if anyone has experienced any similar problems or has any suggestions. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
  • hmplshmpls Posts: 2
    I bought a used 2001 Audi A4 AWD, 2.8 Eng. 5Spd with under 20K miles. The car dirves nicely but using oil...about a quart every 2K miles. The dealer says it's normal! Is it true? Does anyone have the same problem? My old 95 Honda Civic never uses even a drop of oil!

Thanks for your help.
  • hmpls, that seems excessive. Our '98.5 2.8 uses some oil, but I've never had to add a full quart - maybe a half quart in between oil changes. I've stuck to a 3000 mile interval since buying new...did your car have a service record so you know how often the previous owner changed his or her oil?
  • hmplshmpls Posts: 2
    Thanks, JBaumgart! It was a company car from another state and I have no history on the car. Apparently a lot of VWs and Audis have the same problem (I searched prior discussions on oil consumption).
  • Just got my brakes changed at a non audi shop. I bought the pads without sensors by accident. they still work though however I get this all the time now (0). Assuming that's the brake light symbol. Is there any way to get rid of that brake light?
  • Has anybody else had a problem with their A4 digital radio display? I have a 1999 1.8 and had the radio replaced twice while still under warranty. No one could tell me why the garbled display was happening. They would simply throw in another radio. Now I'm out of the warranty period and wondering how to fix this. It sounds fine, the display simply has missing pixels as well as pixels that shouldn't even be there.
  • Audi A4, the model with memory seats and mirrors has a malfunction. As a selling point, the two remote keys can be assigned to two different seat and mirror positions, so if husband or wife open the car with their keys, the seat and mirror can restore to his/hers position. The bug is the right mirror can not be restored.

The bug makes this big selling point useless since you need to push the button to restore the position anyway. And it is a potancial danger since you are easily ignore the right mirror until you are on the road. Then try to push the button on the door.

I struggled with this problem for my new 2002 A4 3.0 for nearly 1 year, talk to dealer, AudiUSA and AudiUSA field rep many times. About half year ago, the field rep let me stop complaining and tell me it will be fixed in 2003 model. But now, it turned out it still not functional in 2003 model and I was told they just does not want to fix it and put it as work per design.

It is horrible for Audi not to fix such an apparent problem for such a long time, and looks like there is no way certain level of decision-maker can hear customer’s voice.
  • The latest info I got is the fix will be finally come in at the beginning of next year. Let us wait and see. And it is still very very unpleasant experience that it took Audi more than 1 year to fix a problem.
  • I am interested in buying '03 A4 3.0 quattro. Thanks for posting all the problems that you guys have experienced so far such as the wind noise, AC noise, and the problems with the memory seats.
    I was wondering if there are any other potential problems that I should be aware of. I come from a Japanese car background and have not had ANY problems with them, especially my Lexus that I'm driving now. The sterotype is that German cars have a lot more small problems, such as electrical, than the Japanese cars do.

Thanks in advance~!
  • neaudineaudi Posts: 21
    "sunroof is open-it seems to be a vibration sounding or something"

I had the same question on my A6. Turns out I only got the vibration when I opened the sunroof all the way. There is a line on the sunroof control that you should not go past. It leaves the sunroof about 80% open and there is no vibration. Basically, with the sunroof open all the way, it allow air in the car with no way of exiting the car. Same thing will happen if you open just 1 window. Hope this helps.