Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Think about this...

How many times have we seen someone join in on these posts and begin by saying they only went looking for a "forum" because they had a problem they wanted to discuss with a larger group?

Is there really very many that first came here absent looking for a solution to a problem?

So, for most, no problems, no forum participation.

And, by the by, Almost very forum I participate in, at least those open to Toyota and/or Lexus discussions, has someone asking questions about this hesitation issue. Just have a look through all the FWD Toyota and Lexus forums here at Edmunds for 04 and later FWD hesitation complaints/posts.

And please, please, do not continue to mischaractorize my own statements nor my position on this. My vehicle is a 2001 AWD RX300 and IS NOT subject to the hesitation problem insofar an I know.

My vehicle does exhibit something I deem as a "precursor" to the hesitation effects, it shifts into neutral, or upshifts, during coastdown or just before coming to a full stop. Regardless, when I aggressively feed it gas it does not hesitate, at least not to any extend that I notice.

But, if you take the symptoms, effects, of the transmission "feel" in my 01, and assume that my theory of the probable case is correct, and now extrapolate that into an 04 with an e-throttle, it becomes very easy to understand why the 04 and later might have hesitation problems. Hesitation problems that many owners might never encounter, or encounter so rarely as to write them off as simple happenstance.
  • Options
    Since you actually own an 04 or later HL, why don't you be the one to prove us wrong? All you have to do is purchase the shop manuals, wire an LED/resistor across each of ECU outputs to the transmission control solenoids, and then monitor the LED indicators to see which and/or what gears the ECU selects for the transmission in the selected circumstances.

During throttle valve closed coastdown from 70MPH and each 10MPH increment below. Accelerate up to the selected speed and then simply take your foot away from the gas pedal.

Below 10MPH with the throttle valve closed and no brakes applied what gear is the transmission in the instant, just before coming to a full stop, and you move the gas pedal quickly to about half-throttle?
  • Options
    scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    The left-foot braking theory has been debunked by the right-footed brakers who reported here with hesitation problems. Maybe left-foot brakers exacerbate the problem, but it does not appear to be the cause.
  • Options
    pilot130pilot130 Member Posts: 319
    Wwest, my intentions aren't to prove anyone wrong.

On the contrary, I'd like to see someone--anyone--show conclusive evidence that conclusions and condemnations being alluded to here are right. I'm of the opinion that hasn't happened yet.

I'm simply not sufficiently convinced there's (a)an inherent/across the board design flaw that's been suggested; (b) The problem isn't somehow related to driving techniques; (c) The problem is as prevailent as being suggested; (d) The problem represents a serious safety hazard as has been suggested. I haven't seen enough conclusive evidence for anyone to make a decisive statement on any of this. I gave my opinions, and simply qualified them as such.

Scoti, I don't place much faith in the integrity of anything in the media these days.

That article in the Chicago Trib is no exception. My point is simply this: the article totally contradicts the earlier Pittsburg Chronicle article, and validates the "left foot" theory because it is supposedly written by a professional auto authority.

I don't think either one validates any theory, except that it does illustrate the principle that one can believe/quote anything one wants, but that doesn't always mean it's right, or accurate.

It follows that principle could also apply to anecdotal reports in cartalk sites, agreed?
  • Options
    hmurphyhmurphy Member Posts: 278
    Does anyone know how to make the gauges in the dash area brighter when the lights are in auto mode? I've tried using the dimmer knob and it doesn't change anything.

The only thing that works is to take the lights out of auto mode. I guess the auto sensor doesn't think it's dark enough during daytime to brighten the dash gauges. In Chicago, however, we have tons of gray days that require a little extra light.

I've also noticed that even when I'm in a tunnel or other very dark area, it takes the sensor a while to adjust and brighten the gauges. I wish it was a bit quicker on the draw.

A minor quibble though. Any advice will be appreciated.
  • Options
    Why do you think we must "prove" ourselves "right" or correct?

When someone posts a problem or a question about a problem in their mind it is clearly A PROBLEM. Most of us here do not set out and ask that the poster "prove" that the problem actually exists.

It's perfectly fine for you to be a "doubting thomas" but unless you have good reason, a reasonable foundation for positing that the "problem" doesn't exist, then why not just assume, for the moment, that it does exist and help all of us look for, propose, a solution.

Or maybe even propose further test methods to confirm the claim.

If, in the end, we find that we have been chasing "wild geese", then no harm done, and most of us here enjoyed the chase while it was "on".
  • Options
    junepugjunepug Member Posts: 161
    I own a 2003 V6 FWD Highlander with 24,000 miles. I have not experienced this problem. I have even attempted to initiate it as some on this board have done. I have also driven a 2004 V6 FWD Highlander and did not experienced this problem. I even attempted to induce it. The 2004 belongs to a friend of mine.
  • Options
    "When someone posts a problem or a question about a problem in their mind it is clearly A PROBLEM".

No doubt about the fact "it is seen as a problem" by he or she who posts it.

I can't dispute that.

I also agree that something--a hesitation--is known to exist for some, under a very narrow set of circumstances.

But here's how I see the issue:....

Are there problems defining the problem here--Problem Solving 101--remember?

I believe so.

In this hesitation controversy there seems to be far more speculation than fact in identifying the nature, scope, and data relating to the issue.

Strictly speaking, it is being editorialized to a much greater extent than analyzed.

There seems to be much emphasis on finding solutions, yet there's no clear fundamental agreement on (a) What the nature and scope of the problem is;

(b) Is it known to be a

mechanical/electrical/electronic malfunction; (c) Is is known to be related to the way suspect vehicles are operated; (d) Is it known to be a fundamental design related issue; (e) Is it known to be a safety issue; (f)Is it known to be some other as yet undefined issue; and (g) what facts are known and available to support any of these possibilities.

The answer to all these questions is a fairly clear "negative".

At the moment it seems we are chasing "Wild Geese", and there are "reasonable foundations" for suggesting that.

In my opinion it's far too premature (and perhaps even beyond the expertise and knowledge of anyone here) to even make assumptions--as you suggest, let alone propose solutions.

I'm far more pragmatist than "Doubting Thomas", my friend Wwest.

I don't believe in accusing Toyota (or anyone else) of misdeeds unless there's reasonable and probable grounds to do so.

Insisting "This is seen as a problem by those who say they have it" isn't sufficient, reasonable, or probable in my opinion.

Basically that's all I'm saying, yet it seems some interpret that as insulting, accusatory,uncooperative, disruptive, negative, acrimonious.......and a host of other uncomplimentary adjectives.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ...it seems that this is turning into a dead end merry-go-round. At this time or to my knowledge, there is no resolution concerning the hesitation issue and until Toyota and/or other manufacturers of make/models experiencing the same come to the table with an explanation (or fix), debating who is right or wrong is futile. So let's all step back, take a deep breath, and agree to disagree without letting emotion get the better of us.
  • Options
    Been browsing the various forums on the Volvo XC90 and would you believe there are many posts about transmission hesitation, even some thoughts that it's worse if you move quickly from braking to gas.

Volvo is also FWD......
  • Options
    hlfanhlfan Member Posts: 46
    I would even go so far as to suggest a new, seperate discussion topic for the hesitation issue. I do not have it, nor deny it's existence; I'm just getting weary of the signal-to-noise ratio on this board.

I know everyone has been trying their best to contribute, but we end up with useless guessing and some rather wacky theories, which decreases the value of this board.
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    KarenS: I apologize. i can't help myself...

if it were me, and the symptoms were repeatible on my car, i guess i would try to characterise it a bit better...

the following would be something i would try to determine if by chance, there was hesitation associated somehow with the device sensing gas pedal position:

Experiment 1.

put your emergency brake on, take the car out of Park and put it in Neutral.

scenario a): depress the gas pedal a moderate amount and watch the RPMs climb, and then ease up on the gas pedal (but only slightly) and watch the RPMs fall, then apply more force and watch the RPMs climb again. repeat the cycle a few times. use both your eyes on the tach and your ears to assess engine response to pedal movement.

scenario b): repeat experiment, but instead of easing up on the gas pedal, come all the way off the pedal, then with RPMs falling (but not all the way to idle), re-initiate contact with the pedal and apply force to increase RPMs. repeat the cycle a few times.

questions: in scenario (a) is the response uniform and without discontinuity (ie RPMs rise and fall without abrupt change)? in scenario (b) is there a lag before RPMs increase upon application of force to the pedal?

Experiment 2.

find a good stretch of road without intersections and stops. choose an imaginary point in the distance where you'd take your foot off the gas to allowing the vehicle to cost down, perhaps prior to applying the brake, as if you were comming to a stop sign or light that was still red.

scenario a). instead of letting off the gas completely, try reducing pedal as much as possible but keep your foot on the gas while RPMs are falling, then apply more pressure to bring RPMs up to simulate proceeding through a light that just turned green before you got to the intersection. Repeat the cycle a few times.

Scenario B: perform the same experiment, but take your foot off the pedal completely and allow coast down, then get on the gas. But don't use the brake to slow the car. repeat a few times

Scenario C: the same as B but use the Brake to slow the car quicker than in scenario B, before re-applying the gas. repeat a few times.

Questions: was there hesitation sensed in scenario (a)? how about in (b)? how about in (c)?

these systems are pretty complex, with the interaction of the engine, transmission, and control input device.

what strikes me is that some people claim to have the problem, while others do not. one would think if it were strickly a software/programming problem, everyone would experience it, but perhaps to more or a less degree depending on driving habit. on the other hand, if it's hardware related, maybe it exists to a more or less degree on some cars, and not at all on others.

what if there were some hysteresis or other non-linearity in the position sensing of the pedal near zero, which when you are at low speed, might be much more noticeable then when you are at high speed and take your foot off the pedal, then re-apply the gas. perhaps at high speed there is the forward momentum of the vehicle and the gearing to dampen the transient.

also check out messages 2799 and 2809 in Toyota Camry Problems and Solutions

i'll go away now.
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    is this similar to the hesitation being reported in the Toyota Sienna Problems and Solution (2004)+ ?

why would people try to discount the observations of the people experiencing the issue?
  • Options
    "Consumers don't always do (what's) best with the throttle..."

With e-throttle "we gain better overall control..."

"It also simplies "shift-shock" control by letting the computer ease off the throttle for smooth automatic upshifts"

Words of Paul Williamsen, cirriculum developement manager of Toyota Motor Sales USA.

http://www.sae.org/automag/techbriefs/02-2002/index.htm
  • Options
    wbaywbay Member Posts: 34
    Okay, one final question:

If the hesitation doesn't occur on all HL's, how can Toyota call it a "design characteristic" ?

It's a rhetorical question.
  • Options
    vargvarg Member Posts: 12
    Hello!

I had a 2004 HL that had the hesitation problem. In fact, the dealer admitted it and noted it on the work order after the test drive. If you have time, please take the time to read post 1755 that I wrote. I ended not going to arbitration since I was traveling a lot at the time. However, I did get a letter that my HL qualified for arbitration. I ended up eating $5k and a little extra on the payment and jumped into a 2004 4X4 Sequoia...hesitation problem fixed! Okay, add some more $$ for gas too! The only reason I come back lurking here is that the Sequoia’s “problems and solutions” discussion board is boring. I find Pilot130 completely amusing... Maybe we should have a “problems with those who have problems” discussion board! Cheers!

Regards,

Rob
  • Options
    desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Great idea hlfan. A separate board for the hesitation issue discussion. I must admit that it is one I would never visit. :-)
  • Options
    Thanks Karen. Fine by me. You're closest to the right answer than any of us. My excessively wordy offerings failed to say what you've just said in a few well chosen words.
  • Options
    Good idea for a separate discussion. It does not appear that this problem (aka "design characteristic", LOL) is exclusive to the Highlander (i.e., similar reports in Sienna and Lexus models) or even Toyota (did someone mention Volvo?). I really don't understand how this became so volatile. Discussions were pretty civil if you go back earlier in this forum. I guess no one was challenging whether it was a problem or not. Hopefully the discussion can remain civil in a separate forum.
  • Options
    Engine Hesitation (All makes/models)

This is located in Maintenance & Repair.
  • Options
    aliminalimin Member Posts: 80
    Last year, around this time, I noticed that the air bag light came on when I started my ’02 HL w/side air bag option after the vehicle sat overnight in –30F weather. Through this forum, I learned about a TSB on the problem, told my dealer, and Toyota replaced the part. This year, again during extremely cold weather (-30F), the same thing happened. Told the service manager at the Toyota dealership and she did find an updated TSB that was a recall of the earlier one on that specific problem. Again, the part was replaced and Toyota, to their credit, again picked up the cost. I was also told that when that air bag light is on, the air bag system does not work – so with the winter we’ve been having, there could be a few other HL owners with the side air bags who may want to check into this issue. (After the vehicle warms up, the air bag light does go out and the system works).

Otherwise, my ’02 HL now has 69,000 almost trouble-free miles.

alimin
  • Options
    spencer327spencer327 Member Posts: 106
    Just curious, pilot130, what do you drive?
  • Options
    One 03 Highlander with V6 (wife's vehicle); 04 Sierra with 5.3 L V8; 03 Town Car with 4.6L-32V; Pressurized/Turbocharged Cessna P210 with Continental 300 HP.

Mostly use the Sierra for everyday. Why do you ask?
  • Options
    kadskads Member Posts: 27
    Has anyone in the US with the hesitation problem in a 2004 Toyota Highlander, Sienna, Solara, or Lexus ES330 or RX330 had it fixed by their dealer under warranty?

If so, I'm very interested in how and what, and would like to hear the details.

However, if after 12 months of customer complaints none have been fixed, then Toyota Motors deserves to be recognized for what it is--a company that does not honor it's warranty, and does not care about, nor deliver, customer satisfaction after the sale.
  • Options
    I haven't read about a fix for Highlanders, but did read this below on an Edmunds Lexus forum where the owner was able to get a Lemon Law buy back:

#404 of 667 Extremely Surprised! by nogermancar Jan 29, 2004 (11:18 pm)

I am extremely surprised to hear that Lexus 2003-04 ES300 or ES330 owners are still having problems with their transmissions. I bought a 2002 ES300 and felt really frustrated with the way in which Lexus dealt with the whole issue. I had some very weird experiences with the service advisors.

After one year of ownership, I got a lemon lawyer and got my money back. If you have a mechanical problem that admittedly cannot be fixed by the dealerships, and your vehicle manufacturer does not work with you, then go get your four repair attempts and your money back. Simple.

Good luck to you all. I hope your future car experiences are much more enjoyable.
  • Options
    spencer327spencer327 Member Posts: 106
    Curious if you drove an 04, since the complaints really seem to come from the 5 speed tranny, which first appeared in the 04.
  • Options
    silvernubirasilvernubira Member Posts: 59
    kads,

As suggested above, only thing that works with Toyota Motor Sales is your State's Lemon Law Arbitration. When my 1998 Camry turned out to be a piece of junk, the dealer keep referring me to the factory representative who suddenly was not available anywhere. When I went thorough Toyota's own arbitration and Toyota was asked to fix the car, they just ignored it. Only the arbitration through my State's Lemon Law worked: I got my money back and they got their masterpiece Camry back. This Camry was my first Toyota, and the LAST!
  • Options
    brutus_1brutus_1 Member Posts: 10
    I purchased and 04 H/L 3.3 2WD in 11/03. I now have 21K miles on it and am quite pleased with the vehicle. All I've done is change oil, rotate tires and put gas in it since I drove it off the lot. For anyone considering a purchase, I'll throw my 2 cents in the ring.

It was a toss between a Pilot and the Highlander, Honda wouldn't deal, Toyota did. Interesting tidbit about the buying experience, I used fightingchance.com and comments from here and felt I got the best deal. Also the dealer offered an extended warrenty for 100k or 6 years. While I normally would not have thought about it (toyota quality) they claim if I don't use it at the end of 6 years I get the full amount back!!! It cost about $1000. I plan on diving the H/L till the wheels fall off, but I have an added security that I can choose to use if the repair cost is substantial.

As for hesitation, I sometimes notice it going around a corner and quickly get off the brake and back on the accelerator, it's a little noticiable, but not a safety issue for me. I hope Toyota comes out with a TSB with a fix in the future.

Last, try as I may, I can't seem to get above 20 mpg. I do drive fast (70) on the highways, but really expected 22 to 24.

I used an aftermarket hitch and have had no problems with wiring.

Overall satisfaction on a 10 point scale I give it a 8.7
  • Options
    1sttimevolvo11sttimevolvo1 Member Posts: 189
    Been browsing the various forums on the Volvo XC90 and would you believe there are many posts about transmission hesitation, even some thoughts that it's worse if you move quickly from braking to gas.

Volvo is also FWD......

I peruse the HL boards because my inlaws have an 02 HL, V6, thus I always keep on the lookout for any issues that may affect them.

My wife and I own the XC90 2.5T, but the tranny hesitation you speak of is largely limited to the 2.9L 6 cylinder. That tranny is a 4 speed, whereas the 2.5T is coupled with a 5 speed.

The tranny shifting problems is more of a delay between 1 and 2. Those noticing the problem see a spike in rpm's during the delay. Volvo has a software fix for the problem.

What I'm seeing on this board sounds more fuel delivery related than tranny related, though it's possible the tranny may be the culprit.
  • Options
    The conversation between the engine ECU and the transmission ECU is the REAL problem. The transmission ECU is "telling" the engine ECU to "ease off" the throttle until the shift is completed and the frictional clutch surfaces are fully seated.

Or maybe the VSC ECU is telling the engine to ease-off the throttle to prevent loss of traction on the driven wheels as a result of too much lateral force and engine torque together.

Or both....
  • Options
    passat1.8tpassat1.8t Member Posts: 8
    Was the hesitation problem always there, from day 1 of purchase or did the hesitation appear after some time had past?
  • Options
    hlfanhlfan Member Posts: 46
    Thanks, you're my hero.

Now please just ask people again (repeatedly) to take this topic there.
  • Options
    You're welcome.

I have put a link to the "hesitation" topic in M&R under "Helpful Links", located to your left.
  • Options
    marklinmarklin Member Posts: 12
    I recently purchased a slightly used 2004 HL V6 with manual climate control. Since I live in a polar country (Canada) and rely quite heavily on heater, I notice that in a -20C weather, the heater doesn't seem to warm the interior fast and hot enough even with the knob fully turned, the air does not seem to blow strong enough.

I don't know whether this is normal for a bigger car with bigger interior room, I used to own a small Acura EL, and boy, the heater will make you sweat in minutes even in sub-zero weather!

Anyone experiencing similar situation?
  • Options
    marklinmarklin Member Posts: 12
    Forgot to mention another annoyance with my 04 HL, when I start out in the morning, yes, it usually happens in the morning (or anytime that it has been sitting for a good while), the first few brakes will screech and be grabby (i.e. stops very abruptly). After those first few stops, everything seems to go back to normal and the squealing sound disappears. I was told that it was due to the humidity collected on the brakes, but does that mean that I have to bear with it for as long as I own this HL?!?! will it eventually disappear since the car is still fairly new (5000mi.)? any suggestion appreciated!
  • Options
    Mine does that, too, but only after/during rain (it's not garaged). I just attributed it to scraping off whatever rust/film accumulated on the brakes overnight. Mine is an 04 V6 AWD with approx. 3300 miles.
  • Options
    While it's a little warmer here in Chicago, mine doesn't take long to get warm. It's auto climate control, though. I don't know if that makes a difference.

It might be worth getting it checked out, in case it's a simple fix.
  • Options
    needs replaced...??
  • Options
    junepugjunepug Member Posts: 161
    Check out the cabin air filter. It is located behind the glove compartment. It may be clogged and need replacement.
  • Options
    tchen3tchen3 Member Posts: 3
    I have just bought a 2005 Highlander Base model with 6 Cyl and 4WD. I only got 12.3mpg in the city. I meassured this way:

The car has only 34 miles with full gas in the tank when I Droved out of hte dealership. Once I see the "yellow" alarming for low fuel. The ODO is only show 268miles. According to the specification, the city miliage should be 18 mpg. and the tank is 19.1 gallons. I called the sales of the dealer, he can not explain this to me. He suggested me to call their service. I'll see.

My question is that is my method correct? If yes, then the mileage is too lower. If not then how can we correctly measure the mileage?

Thanks,
  • Options
    Fill the car yourself to pump cutoff. Set your trip ODO to zero. When you need gas, fill again and divide the total on the trip ODO by the number of gallons your car took to get mpg.
  • Options
    patdurb987@msnpatdurb987@msn Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I am proud owner of new 2005 Highlander.

Only one problem or non-problem in the few days i have owned it. When driving, i feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel. Is this to be expected for this kind of vehicle? Am i being picky? (2WD 6 cyl.)
  • Options
    It would not be all that unusual to have a defective front tire shipped from the factory.

If the vibration occurs during cruise have the front wheels moved to the back, if during braking have the front brake rotors checked.
  • Options
    Or....I just bought a two yr old car from a top tier dealer who does a 104 point check on each car that he keeps to sell. After noticing steering wheel vibration, I checked the tires. The left front was 55 lbs, the other three were exactly 20 lbs.!!! Put 30 in all and no more vibration. So much for his 104 point check huh.
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    The low tire pressure light came on again the other day. According to the owner's manual, the vehicle has to be driven for about 5 minutes in order to detect low pressure. My wife, who's the driver, works about a mile from my house and not until she runs errands is she driving it long enough. Sooooo, it's going in to the shop.
  • Options
    tahoe7tahoe7 Member Posts: 3
    I am seriously considering the O5 Highlander limited,but this "hesitation" issue has me concerned.Has the problem been addressed???

I am also looking at the magnum and the pilot.Any advice would be appreciated
  • Options
    ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    mikefm58 - sorry to hear that! Please let us know how this drama unfolds. Hopefully, it's something they can correct easily. BTW, have you tried the battery-disconnecting reset?
  • Options
    No official fix has been issued.

However, some drivers (like myself) haven't noticed the hesitation. I have an 04 AWD V6 Limited.

Your best bet is to go drive one for yourself. If the hesitation issue is there, you'll probably notice it right away.
  • Options
    You may want to check out the Engine Hesitation (all makes and models) discussion that the hosts have set up (referenced in the sidebar of this discussion or found by doing a search for "hesitation). Based on the Pittsburgh Post Gazette article, they were still looking for a fix in December.
  • Options
    kadskads Member Posts: 27
    No opinion on the Magnum, but wouldn't hesitate to buy the Pilot, wish I had.

As many others, we have a 2004 hesitating Highlander that Toyota won't fix, only recourse is to take a big $ hit in arbitration or Lemon Law filing. If they wanted to, they could fix it now since a) it's reported canadian models don't have the problem and b) they're engineers have had at least a year to figure it out.

Bottom line--Why pay $30-35 grand for a car with a known problem the manufacturer won't fix?