Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oil Consumption On Chevy Equinoxes

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    If the specifications are that stringent and that specific to one particular engine family, then the manufacturer should give it away for free.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Don't need that crap and risk. Just buy a CRV or RAV4. Not that much difference in price and probably much better resale and less headaches.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,737
    Then you find out that both Honda and Toyota also have manufacturer approved specifications that exceed the API and ILSAC ratings. Products approved for those ratings are also usually approved for GM's dexos. Think that's more than just a coincidence?
    edited May 2017
    Well maybe if you are Ferrari you can get away with that level of "tight" engineering that allows little slack for error but in a mass-market car you end up with problems like the one in this topic, or Toyota's oil sludging problems. It's one thing to say that your product's engine requires a certain weight of oil to properly operate the hydraulic valve-timing, but yet another to require some esoteric specification that the consumer not only doesn't understand, but often can't find readily.

An extreme example: What if your bathroom faucet required filtered water?
    edited May 2017

Well maybe if you are Ferrari you can get away with that level of "tight" engineering that allows little slack for error but in a mass-market car you end up with problems like the one in this topic, or Toyota's oil sludging problems.

As the manufacturers try and extend service intervals out even further than they are right now manufacturer specifications will get even more stringent.

It's one thing to say that your product's engine requires a certain weight of oil to properly operate the hydraulic valve-timing, but yet another to require some esoteric specification that the consumer not only doesn't understand, but often can't find readily.

Consumers would be able to understand the specifications if they first bothered to try and secondly if "experts" limited their advice to the details of the subject. Besides, what's so hard about finding a product approved for the dexos specification? The biggest problem right now is that those "experts" with the benefit of hindsight now get to see that they were on the wrong side of the subject and can't hide that fact because the articles are all still out there for consumers to find.
    edited May 2017
    You expect a lot of a car owner trying to lead a normal life :p

"Honey, before you start the car, read over that SAE paper on oil specifications that's in the glove box".
    People buy a $500 smart phone and spend how much time learning how to use it as a pocket PC? Then turn around and spend $30,000 or more on their personal transportation and they choose to know little more about it than how to start it up turn the radio on and make it move. That's a choice they are free to make at their own peril.

Where the problem lies is in the fact that when some of them do realize that they need to know more they find the kind of advice written in articles like this one, https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/tips-advice/stop-changing-your-oil.html
    and this one https://www.edmunds.com/car-care/do-i-have-to-use-the-manufacturers-oil.html
    and this one https://www.edmunds.com/car-care/choosing-and-using-the-right-engine-oil.html
    which is in part completely at odds with this one https://www.edmunds.com/how-to/the-top-down-oil-change.html.

Remember this? http://www.amsoil.lube-direct.com/2011/04/dexos-1-amsoil-has-it/

And then PQIA data revealed this

You have to click on the quakerstate amsoil Castrol png to see it but the data clearly shows that as tested the Amsoil product in the middle fails to meet the specification even though they recommend it as an equivalent.

The Quaker State test data is on the left, Amsoil OE is in the middle and the Castrol is on the right.

Jut look at the volatility mass (3rd yellow highlighted line) and the Viscosity at -30C (second yellow highlighted line) and it jumps right out. The Quaker State approved product is a 5W30 and it is thinner at cold temperatures than the Amsoil is and it's rated as a 5W20.

The average consumer does not have to study this to such a level but the articles linked above need to explain it correctly for those who do choose to investigate it. What's more the articles need to advise the readers to support shops and techs who are taking the time and making the effort to stay up to date, not criticize them for it.
    Proves my point in a way. So the Equinox owner, trusting Amsoil, does what they say, and gets screwed for it.

Let the finger pointing begin.
  • bige340bige340 Member Posts: 1
    Normal and acceptable has changed over the years. Our 60K dealer serviced Equinox 2011 2.4L AWD is as of the last 10K miles starting using oil and the cam position sensor is now faulty according to the results of the diagnostic port so also stalling. It is like others here losing a quart every 2K miles and now stalling due to the sensor it seems. The auto transmission had to be rebuilt at 30k, it lost 3rd gear. I give this car a rating of D.
    Maintenance recommendations here seem to me out of place a bit in respect to expectations of a newer engine or any engine.
    I like popping the hood and checking things out to feel comfortable about driving something.
    I started with a 1965 Mustang, have had VW Beetles, an A-body 340 mopar and new Saturn for over 10 years with very few problems and maintained a lot of company vehicles for 17 yrs , Chevy V8s and Ford in line 6-300.
    The idea that this is problem should be alleviated or put off with cost effectiveness of major repairs being answers is absurd to me. These previous vehicles with years and miles under their belt did not consume this much oil or anywhere close to it.
    The only engine I ever saw do this was my brother's Mazda rotary engine that consumed oil by burning it through the cylinders to the firing chambers I suppose.
    I will have to struggle with the dealer as others have, we do have a VSC for 120 months or 100k miles but I am very disappointed in this engine and the quality of many parts of the vehicle, speakers,actuators and the chrome plating of interior body parts.
  • juice6632juice6632 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2011 equinox in late 2010. I have experienced a ticking noise in the engine compartment and taken it to the dealer.  They advised that there was something wrong but needed to look into it. They gave me a loaner and I drove that around for a while just for them to call and say that there was nothing wrong and that equinoxes have that ticking noise. At approximately 110,000 miles I received a notice from GM saying that my year model "might" have oil consumption issues. It also said if it occurred before 120,000 miles or 7 years and exceeded the acceptable oil consumption amounts, they would repair the vehicle at no cost to me. Lastly it says DO NOT BRING THE VEHICLE IN BASED ON THIS NOTICE. (Paraphrased) well at 122,000 miles and 5 year ownership I noticed oil consumption. I took it in and after doing the oil consumption test they determined that it was within their acceptable range. Well now with 140,000 miles I am adding almost 2.5 quarts between every oil change. I am very religious about checking the oil every Sunday, on all my vehicles, and have always kept up with the oil changes and have always done my maintenance with the dealer.  I don't understand this so called normal oil consumption. I have a Toyota Rav4 (vehicle to travel to work) with 220,000 miles and it doesn't leak ANYTHING and doesn't have a ticking noise and isn't a Chevrolet. This pisses me off. I will never buy a Chevrolet again. What makes me really mad is that they know there is a problem and instead of taking care of their people they call it normal wear and tear. As a matter of fact I'm picking up a new vehicle today and it's not a Chevrolet. 
    edited May 2017
    juice6632 said:

I have a Toyota Rav4 (vehicle to travel to work) with 220,000 miles and it doesn't leak ANYTHING and doesn't have a ticking noise and isn't a Chevrolet. This pisses me off. I will never buy a Chevrolet again.

And they aren't immune to oil consumption issues...

Here is one example.

https://www.toyoheadquarters.com/threads/excessive-oil-consumption-on-2az-fe-engine-lsc-ze7.362/

Sounds like you're using about 1 quart every 1500 miles. That's not great, and yes, for some people it is annoying, but it doesn't mean your engine is headed for disaster. It could burn oil at this rate for another 100K.

In fact, a little oil burning (not as much as your car, however) is probably a good thing.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Growing up working part time in a gas station it was very common to add a quart of oil to our customer's cars every other tank of gas or so and that was totally the norm and acceptable. Nobody considered that a "bad" thing at the time. Even with a freshly rebuilt engine my 1954 Chevy Bel Air would go through a quart every 1000 miles or so. It didn't smoke or drip either.

With the cars we own today, I hate to admit it but I rarely bother checking the oil and when I do after 3-4000 miles they are never low at all! I usually change my oil around the 4000 mile mark.

Were they to start going through a quart say every 2000 miles I wouldn't be bothered by that BUT I would start checking it more often!
  • oldirish45oldirish45 Member Posts: 1
    2013 Equinox with 4 cylinder engine. About 89k miles of mostly highway driving. Consuming lots of oil. I also hear there are issues with cracked exhaust manifolds.

Any actions against GM regarding this engine? By 2013 they must have known, yet continued to use this engine.
    You might find THIS ARTICLE of interest to you.
  • pepper77pepper77 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a used 2015 Equinox with 92000 miles on it. The oil was changed before I bought it and I had put 2500 miles on it in 1.5 months. Driving to work one day, I heard some knocking from the engine and the car started to chug. I checked the oil and it was 3.5 quarts low, and the tailpipe was completely black! No warning lights, nothing! Holy cow! I called the local Chevy dealer to check it out for engine damage since it was under warranty. I take it in, and they suggest that I change the oil and monitor it every time I fill up for gas. Well, 400 miles later, and it's a half a quart low. They said to bring it in after it's a quart low and they'll run some tests on it. Well, there's something obviously wrong with it! I do not want this car anymore! There has to be some engine damage running 3.5 quarts low. Hopefully, the Chevy dealer will make things right. 
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,122
    2500 miles and 1.5 months? What about checking the oil once a week? You should have caught that the oil level was going down.

If it's under warranty, Chevrolet likely will end up doing some engine work for whatever the cause of the oil use is. I think you'll come out ahead assuming their standard oil test shows consumption levels above their acceptable level.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• photofpd2017photofpd2017 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2017
    Hi, just found this site and enjoyed reading the comments. I've been in the power generation industry for over 40 years, running all types of rotating equipment( pumps, motors, gas and diesel engines, and steam turbines.) They all have one thing in commen, Lube oil!!! no oil and they stop real fast and make a horrible noise. Getting back to the original problem, I have a 2006 Equinox which I bought with around 40K on it in 2007, It uses oil at a rate of 2qts every 3500 miles, I change oil around 5000 to 6500 which for me is about 2.5 months, I keep track of my GPM every fillup (22/25gpm) so once a week, I check the stick. Most rotating equipment fail due to improper lube(wrong oil), not enough lube( no oil). Not a good sound when it does.
    I saw a post that said you shouldn't have to open the hood to check the oil? What? Take 5 minutes and look under the hood, look for leaks, check the dip stick ,Learn the car, check the tires, lights and horn once a week its your money and your or your family's safety your taking about! Just because you took it for an oil change Doesn't mean the put the right amount of oil in the engine. the one time I didn't look they put 5 instead of 7 Quarts, It pays to look!!! .
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Pretty simple, yet!
    @photofpd2017 -- thanks for dropping in. Your comments are most welcome here and there may be other topics of interest to you.

Regarding the oil consumption on your Equinox, it seems like you are not too put off by having to add oil every 1750 miles? I personally consider that rate of consumption acceptable on an 11 year old engine, but many owners don't. What's your attitude about this?
  • dqrp6435dqrp6435 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys,
    I have a 2011 Equinox with 126k mi. and this is my story... EDIT: Im at work, dont have time for correct grammar, please excuse that...
    I purchased this used in sept of 15 at 84k mi. Nox has been my "dream" (affordable) car since they came out in high school (grad 2009). It was great for the first year or so... and then not. I noticed the usual oil consumption everyone here mentions (2L every change). Family mechanics-who are a bit old school and not up on modern GM work- recommended checking exhaust. No smoke but pipe is COVERED in oil. So pointing fingers to rings... a couple weeks go by and engine is idle rough. i do some research and find ECOboost to be causing issues for many, in fact it only saves about 1-1.5MPG while on, but at the expense of rough idle. So i turn that off... every oil change is now 2L in between and a full thing of Lucas... BTW- often hearing "chattering"- typical of old 80s-90s lifters, i add oil and it goes away.....
    about a year later, constant monitoring, im driving to work and the engine starts running super rough i look down and Im running hard at 5k rpm and struggling to keep 50mph (i had 75 set on cruise). Thank God i was near a exit- I shot over and tried not having a heart attack.
    Called my home town shop that was about 35mi away to come toe it and work on it. about a week later i got a call that the timing chain had slipped causing 3 bent valves and im lucky it wasnt much more.
    Proceeding with repairs, 3 weeks later i get my car back. It gets me 1300 miles before im hearing the "chattering" again. i push to make it home from work and it is ROUGH. im so pissed because i just got it back 2 weeks ago.
    --So i proceed to take it to the shop the next day and HERE is what im told EDITThis is where people need to read, and get a little education
    It was low on oil. low!? how!? it JUST came back from the shop. they checked pistons and everything looked fine. im not leaking oil, im not burning too much, where the hell did it go!? "this is normal". i was as shocked as everyone else. oil consumption wasnt nearly as bad when i first brought it in, so something is wrong. No, not according to GM, and i agree, its a bad design, im waiting for a lawsuit. GM-"aggressive drivers should expect to see loss of 1qt oil every 500mi if over 120kmi". I drive 98mi a day for work (round trip) @ $9.98/qt for oil...
    now here is the *BIG KICKER*- the reason the timing chains are going bad- is because the chain tensioner is held by oil pressure. So if you run low on oil and youre hearing your valves tap, youre also hearing your timing chain rattle, add oil and it goes away. But what happened to me was that it was low, no tension on the chain and the chain slipped gears causing timing issues. I get it, im lucky but it doesnt take a rocket scientist to see that this is a HORRIBLE design for a engine. A engine that is DESIGNED to burn oil as well as gas, but also keep oil pressure up to keep timing chain pressure. thats a catch 22 if you ask me.
    Hope this helps someone. Im not happy. i will NEVER recommend a equinox to anyone, i dont care what year it is. Ive studied to see what other GM vehicles have this same motor design and steer clear! But... that this point, ive got to get to work, Ive got bills to pay and still have a car payment. EQUINOX OWNERS- CHECK YOUR OIL EVERY 500-1000 MILES. JUST CHECK IT. RUNNING LOW OIL COST ME $2100. $40/MO IN OIL IS WAY CHEAPER. and because this is a purchasable item by the consumer, it is OUR responsibility and not covered by warranty for not caring for our vehicles......
    Pissed is a understatement.
  • haulthault Member Posts: 130
    I have a 2014 2.4 since new. Turning 60,000 miles. Checked oil at 3000 miles on current oil change. Down 1.5-2 qts. Use to use about one quart between 5-6000 mile change. Hard to tell on this dipstick. Always use Mobil One, or other name brand synthetic oil w/Dexos symbol. Changed plugs at 50,000. Had some black inside, spark area good. Cleaned throttle body for idle problem around 50,000 also. Will start changing oil at 4 or 5000 miles. And check it frequently. Once you run it 3 quarts low you will have major damage to engine internals a ring job won't solve! Good luck to all.
    edited January 2018
    Since it's over 3 years my question would be if the powertrain 100,000K mi warranty applies here and without looking it up I suspect it's a 5-year item. Check your owners manual.

I'd be visiting the service department at the Chevy dealer to ask the service manager not just the writers about what's available. It's be worth it to see if there's problem with this particular engine and year and oil use rates.

The worse they could do is ask you to have them change the oil and put in the Dexos approved oil they use and then seal the cap and have you return for checks on the oil level use at frequent intervals.

They would need to document the rate of usage and the quality of oil. They also should want, if any potential warranty or assistance exists, to see documentation of your oil changes and oil used.

• paulschwartzpaulschwartz Member Posts: 1
    Unfortunately, I bought a 2010 Equinox in November 2017. It had 97000 miles. It rode well at the time. Not shortly thereafter, the engine was skipping or bucking. I changed the spark plugs to no avail. Then the check engine light came on with code P0014 and B2AAA. The last code is some kind of phony code. I had to add 3 quarts of oil; the light stayed off. Two weeks later, I added two more quarts. As of this post, I just bought a new Toyota. I called the finance company to voluntarily surrender the Equinox. They are picking it up this week. What a mistake.
    Somewhat off topic, but you may not want to voluntarily have the car repossessed. Think that over!
  • ronniesronnies Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2011 Equinox that I purchased new. I recently purchased a 2017 and gave the keys to my 2011 to my son. Recently, he said there was a noise being made by the engine.I cranked it and immediately recognized the noise as lifters rattling.I checked the oil and there was no oil showing, I put in a quart, and it still showed no oil on the stick, so it was really low. It had 5700 miles on the oil change, which is 700 miles more than I usually allow in a change. We took it to the dealership and had the oil changed and they informed us, this was a problem with this engine. They asked us to bring it in 3 separate times, at 1k intervals, and if it showed that it was using more than 1 quart per 2k miles, they would repair it. Fortunately for us, this past week, they replaced the pistons, rings and timing chain and all related gaskets. The Equinox had 118k miles on it, and we trust the problem is fixed. We have heard, that the company that supplied the pistons, had some sort of teflon coating on them, that flaked off after a while, which contributed to the ring wear. Everett Chevrolet in Hickory NC, and Chevrolet itself was gracious in helping us solve the problem
  • avg_joeavg_joe Member Posts: 1
    My 2011 Equinox will probably be the last chevy to grace my driveway. We purchased it new. We have 93K miles on it. Consumes over 2 qts between oil changes. I am not one to trade a car in before the 10 year mark or 200K mile mark but this one will be an exception. And the new car will not be a chevy.
    What is your oil change interval?
    What oil has the engine been serviced with since new?
  • dispatch1313dispatch1313 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2011 Equinox with the 2.4. I bought it used in 2015 with 110,000 miles and it currently has 179,000 on it. Motor is all original. It's always burned oil since I've owned it (normally about 1 quart every 2000 miles). I try to check the oil every 500 miles or so to ensure its in the safe zone. I've always used full synthetic Dexos approved oil. Maybe because its just a 4 cylinder, but the motor sounds like trash to me (always has, no getting any worse really though). The check engine light has been on for the past 20,000 miles, code reader shows the 'ol P0420 code. I'm sure the catalytic converter is junk from burning oil, but maybe I'll get lucky and its just the downstream O2 sensor. Anyways, the car still runs and drives normally, just burns a little oil and sounds like an old diesel at idle. I expect to go over 200,000 with it though. IMO this motor was very poorly made, but it does go to show that with routine maintenance you can still go the long run with it.
    Indeed, you must be doing something right! Usually this code is not the 02 sensor, but it could be related to other things, such as a misfire.
  • Maggie1965Maggie1965 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2013 Chevy equinox and a few days ago I heard a knocking sound coming from the engine. Didn't think too much since it would diminish after a few minutes. Then the engine light came on while I was travelling on a highway a long way from home. I stopped at a dealership to have it check and a code came up indicating what was wrong.(Can't remember the code, sorry) The mechanic said it may be bad gas since I filled up with cheap gas a couple a days before. Got to my destination and let the engine cool. Something told me to check the oil. Low and behold my engine was completely drained of oil!!! Nothing, Nada! Not a drop on the dipstick! Everywhere I park the vehicle shows no oil on the ground. I had brought the car from a dealer who used with a 26 point inspection so there was oil in the engine when I brought it. It was due for an oil change at 3000 but I put an extra 1000 miles on it. There are no engine leaks anywhere as the motor is as clean as they day I bought it. I had to put 5 quarts of oil to replace what was missing and the knocking sound quit along with the check engine light going off. I'm going to the dealership I brought it from so that they may give me answers. If you own an equinox be diligent about checking oil. I sure am from now on. I'm lucky I didn't burn my engine out!
    What kind of "mechanic" hears a knocking noise in the engine and doesn't check the dipstick. If you run low on oil and don't check it, then the new engine is unfortunately your responsibility (as you stated).

As for the consumption, -- how many miles on this engine?

It might be a good idea for you to ask the dealer how to do an "oil consumption test" so that you'll know, by mileage, when to starting checking.

There have been some problems with the Equinox concerning oil burning, mostly related to improperly seated piston rings. Chevy has been repairing some of these, but only if you have the factory or an extended warranty.

This is something you may have to monitor and live with. As long as the oil consumption isn't monstrously excessive, the truck should continue to run a long, long time with this condition. If the truck starts to smoke really badly and consume large quantities of oil, then that might damage the catalytic converter and that gives you no choice but to repair the engine---probably an overhaul, not a rebuild.
    edited January 2019
    We always have to pay close attention to the details that are provided, that's even more important to do when they result in contradictions.

I have a 2013 Chevy equinox and a few days ago I heard a knocking sound coming from the engine. Didn't think too much since it would diminish after a few minutes.

Some noise cold that goes away in a few seconds isn't always a concern. If piston slap is noticed, that could take a couple minutes to subside. Being low enough on oil to create a knock means that damage is occurring.

Then the engine light came on while I was travelling on a highway a long way from home. I stopped at a dealership to have it check and a code came up indicating what was wrong.(Can't remember the code, sorry) The mechanic said it may be bad gas since I filled up with cheap gas a couple a days before.

This is the first contradiction. Codes that could set because of being low on oil are usually related to the variable valve timing system. For the suggestion to be made that you might have gotten bad fuel the system would have been generating completely different codes.

Got to my destination and let the engine cool. Something told me to check the oil. Low and behold my engine was completely drained of oil!!! Nothing, Nada! Not a drop on the dipstick!

The engine only has to be 1.5qts low to have nothing show on the dipstick.

Everywhere I park the vehicle shows no oil on the ground. I had brought the car from a dealer who used with a 26 point inspection so there was oil in the engine when I brought it. It was due for an oil change at 3000 but I put an extra 1000 miles on it. There are no engine leaks anywhere as the motor is as clean as they day I bought it. I had to put 5 quarts of oil to replace what was missing and the knocking sound quit along with the check engine light going off.

Did you just add five quarts, or were you checking it after each quart was added? Was the light that was on this time the yellow check engine light, or a red oil pressure light?

I'm going to the dealership I brought it from so that they may give me answers. If you own an equinox be diligent about checking oil. I sure am from now on. I'm lucky I didn't burn my engine out!

Every vehicle should be getting the oil checked and added to as required on a routine basis.

• ShanShan Member Posts: 1
    2011 Equinox  just under 80 thousand miles, oil is black after an oil change 3 weeks ago and Chevy dealer says it's normal? Also uses lots of oil.
    How can I get this fixed?
    That's strange. Does the engine use a lot of oil between changes? This could be caused by blow-by through the piston rings or maybe a malfunctioning PCV system.
    How much oil is it going through? As far as the new oil getting dark, it's likely breaking down debris inside the engine that was deposited by failure of the oil in the past caused by poor maintenance (aka wrong oil, infrequent services etc.) How long have you owned this?
  • JamiebJamieb Member Posts: 1
    I am the original owner of a 2011 Chevy Equinox. My Equinox is consuming oil worst now. It was not bad at first but seems to get worse as it gets more miles on it. Right now it only has 48009 miles on it.
    The Dealership does not want to help, they just keep putting me off. I have called Chevy Customer Service over the years. Each time no help. We payed good money for a car that used oil right out of the Factory. I see that Patsy with Customer Service offered to help, I would love for her to help us. I will look at other cars if Chevy does not fix this car.
  • mttommttom Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2011 Equinox bought usedf 67,000 miles When I got it the oil looked horrible even though it had an oil change 1000 miles ago it was low on oil, changed it and it still looked like I hadn't changed it, so every 2000 miles I changed it and the forth change finally decent. My guess this was a rent/lease vehicle and never got oil changes. I now change every 5000, use synthetic maybe use a 1/2 quart between changes, it lives on dirt roads other service extreme stuff, at 92,000 heard a short rattle on start up on right side. Pulled the upper cover and timing chain had slack, pulled the tensioner and when dropped it to the floor finally extended, it had been stuck. The timing chain dropped out of the bottom cog so had to pull the bottom cover and replaced guides (the old ones were good) chain and tensioner. I have seen chain rattle in hyundais and fords and sludged up hondas and toyotas. Modern engines with VVT and timing chains and direct injection need high quality synthetic oil no matter who builds them. They get great gas mileage and good power from small displacement but with out quality oil and changes they all fail
  • Jimladd_101Jimladd_101 Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like a bunch of gm representative answering these comments. The 2.4 Chevy engine is faulty no if ands or buts it's a bad engine period. I have had gm vehicles for over 40 years if gm don't make it right iwilI be going to Ford or Dodge.
  • mi_guymi_guy Member Posts: 1
    I'm posting this regarding my grandmothers 2011 equinox with the 2.4 engine. She bought it new and had all engine maintenance done at the same dealership. Except for brakes, tires, and a muffler all service was performed there. There are 13 service records mostly oil changes that were performed whenever an email was received stating that it was time to come in for service.

Major repairs were:
    WATER PUMP AND BALANCE SHAFT CHAIN REPLACEMENT
    CAMSHAFT POSITION ACTUATOR SOLENOID VALVE REPLACEMENT

Last oil change was Dec 2018 with 62000
    MAINT1 INCLUDES LUBE OIL FILTER, TIRE ROTATION, RESET TIRE PRESSURES TO FACTORY SPECS, , COMPLETE GM MULTI POINT INSPECTION, RESET OIL LIFE MONITOR TO 100% IF EQUIPPED.
    CHECK FOR OPEN RECALLS/CAMPAIGNS/SP

Now with 66,000 miles we are told that the oil was 2qts low and the dealer says that the vehicle needs pistons and rings and a new timing chain. The initial quote for the work was $3300 after contacting GM the dealer says they can do it for $1800.

We've aged out of the 7.5 year special coverage period. We're about 8 months past.

Where were at now. Grandma likes the car and would probably pay to have it fixed. Grandpa has been telling her to get rid of the car for a year or two previous to this because he thinks the timing chain is going to break. I had been vouching for GM thinking that the chain issue had been fixed not knowing that there are two chains in the engine.

Do we bite the bullet and just pay for the repair?
    Do we opt out of the class action suit by sep. 20 and take GM to court for the full cost of the repair noting the excellent service history and low mileage?
    Do we trade the thing off?
    If we do fix the car, is there some other expensive issue waiting to pop up?

I also wonder if we had serviced it ourselves on a more normal schedule if things would have been different. If I could go back I'd change the oil and filter at 500 miles then maybe 2500 and every 5000 thereafter. Oil is cheap. As it was the first oil change was at 6000 miles which didn't seem right even at the time.

• KinkoozKinkooz Member Posts: 3
    I have owned my 2011 equinox 2.4 L ecotec engine since 2012 and have serviced all of my regular recommend oil changes (at 20% olm level) at the local Chevrolet dealer. In 2018 there was strong rattling sounds coming from the engine when the oil level was getting low and when brought to the dealer they only said I was lucky to come in when I did. I was never told from the dealer about any oil consumption issues with my car. Ever. Last week I heard some rattling again and when I checked the OLM it was at 41% so I was confused where this sound was coming from as the oil levels did not appear to be an issue. Check engine light came on and when I ran the diagnostics, code P0014 came up. My wife was driving on the highway the next day and the car died. Thankfully she pulled over to the side and had it towed to our home. I couldn't get the car to start at all. When I checked the oil dipstick my heart sunk, it was bone dry. I changed my oil 2 months ago. No low oil light ever came on. There was nothing to ever give me the impression my oil was low. I was never informed of any oil consumption issues and no oil leaks. My mechanic now says the timing chain either skipped or broke as a result of no lubrication. I am now faced with a $5000 repair bill for an issue I knew absolutely nothing about and Chevrolet never notified me of any potential issues with my vehicle for any oil consumption issues that require additional monitoring. Does GM cover this??
    edited January 2020
    Checking the oil regularly is a responsibility of the owner. No doubt it's pointed out in the owner manual. As a car gets more mileage on it, checking oil becomes even more regular, especially when checking it during a 4000 mile oil change interval that the level has gone done a quart.

For many engines 1500 miles for consuming a quart of proper viscosity and quality oil is typical and considered normal oil use rate. IN a 4000 mile oil change interval, the engine would use 2.6 quarts of oil. When oil level is down 1 quart, it's required to refill with a replacement quart.

Now you're at 100K and over; likely 120000 miles. The engines have worn and use slightly more oil than they did in the early life of the engine.

Checking the oil is the owner's responsibility. The OLM only gauges the quality of the oil left in the sump after miles and use: it does NOT check the level of the oil. A few cars have an oil level indicator that turns on a light when the oil level drops; it's the owner's job to know if their vehicle has that feature on that engine.

Any sound from an engine would indicate the oil level needs to be checked immediately and refilled.

You may download the owner manual at chevrolet.com under the header "owners."

• KinkoozKinkooz Member Posts: 3
    Notifying the customer who has a known model (2011) with oil perfomance issues is squarely the responsibility of the manufacturer and dealer. Reminding the customer to check the oil levels in between oil changes especially for these known models is entirely on the manufacturer and dealer. None of that happened here. It's the reason I pay the premium to have it serviced at the dealership and avoiding the argument "well you should have brought it here instead". I never knew the oil level monitor was not an accurate representation of my current oil level, and never heard anything from the dealership to even think otherwise. When my dealer tells me to service oil changes when the OLM shows 20% or lower, that's my reference. I still cannot understand how there can be no oil light indicator be shown when the car has zero oil in it or when the oil levels are getting significantly lower. Sound aside, where are the dash indicators notifying of oil levels? Are these not standard indicators?
    edited January 2020
    Page 10-10 of the 2011 Equinox owner manual says, "It is a good idea to check the engine
    oil level at each fuel fill."

https://my.gm.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2011/chevrolet/equinox/2011_chevrolet_equinox_owners.pdf

• HermanHerman Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2011 equinox. Forget using your oil usage sensor/ indicator on/in your dashboard instruments. CHECK OIL AT THE DIP STICK. THATS THE TRIED AND TRUE METHOD FOR ALL TIME on cars.
    U will save a lot of wondering and sleep at night. For my car I check it about every 500 to 750 miles. If u dont it's your own fault that your car engine could seize.

Herman.
  • TjcvamvTjcvamv Member Posts: 1
    My timing chain broke and blew my engine. Dealership told me I wasn’t putting oil in my car and the oil consumption issue was not the reason for the timing chain. Funny

I started an oil consumption test bc the dealership told me too and told me I could have a test done at any certified dealership. I wanted to have the test done closer to home bc of the issue. Be aware that is a lie!!

I went back to complete the test and was told , you are past the warranty, we can fix it for 2-3k. Hum, do you think they already knew this was a problem? Do you think they saved the paperwork, no?

Class action suit I thought would help. GM will not accept the 2nd dealerships test bc the dealership said I did not complete the test. But wait, they were going to fix it and acknowledged it was an issue. Dealer is now telling me GM won’t accept a test from one of their own certified dealerships that I had to have all the tests done at that dealership. What? They don’t trust their certified dealers? GM does not plan on paying and I am out of a car or pay 6-7k for a new engine.

GM horrible Corp who knew of his issue and will do what they need to do not to pay. Consumer “screw you!” Never never buy an Equinox or a GM product!!! Try I suppose American, not any more.
  • Mdahl669Mdahl669 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2011 chevy equinox and I've had it for 2 years now and we are on our 2nd Jasper engine and still going through oil like it's nothing. The dealership has replaced the motor twice and I also have a surging at idle problem that they have thrown numerous parts at and still hasnt fixed it. It will surge all the time then I take it to them and they say we cannot get it to duplicate the problem! I'm so tired of this run around. In the 2 years we've had it, its been in about 15 times. Anyone else with these issues??