Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti I30/I35 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• 2001pearl2001pearl Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 i30, I have the same problem. Did you resolve your problem? Thanks
  • javi2javi2 Member Posts: 1
    I am having a similar problem with my 1996 I30 infiniti. The has 138,000 miles and car dies as i decrease my speed approaching a red light and while in park it dies. I love the car and I am in desperate need of some help. Now have taken it to the inifinite dealer and japanese master and tune up plus everybody seem to give me an ECU FAULT but we have replace it twice.

any info is greatly appreciated
  • bythabaybythabay Member Posts: 7
    Try replacing / cleaning the IACV (Idle air control valve). Also make sure that the throttle body is clean and operating properly, the plugs are in good condition, and changing the fuel filter wouldn't hurt either. You can easily do these things yourself... reference this link for help:

How-To>
  • jssinghjssingh Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 I30t. I recently left an interior light on for four days and the battery died. When I tried to jump start the car the panic alarm went off and I was unable to start the car. The same thing happened when I tried to charge the battery. As soon as the charger was hooked up the panic alarm went off. Is there a way to disable to panic alarm? Or does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks.
  • shabwakshabwak Member Posts: 1
    I'm curious about longevity/reliability for a 1997 I30. Can I reasonably expect to get 200K miles from this car, assuming regular maintenance? Anybody have a later 90's I30 w/ near that mileage?
  • 2000whiteinfin2000whiteinfin Member Posts: 1
    My mass air flow sensor cost $410.
  • fgmyedfgmyed Member Posts: 6
    I have a 1999 i30 limited with 157,000 miles. Aside from regular tune ups i have only had to replace the brakes (2x) and also replaced the radiator. I have been lucky as i have not had the coil problems that were common in the 99 model. Car has been great. The only thing I would like to know is when will the water or fuel pump go?
  • fgmyedfgmyed Member Posts: 6
    I have a 1999 I-30 with over 157,000 mi. I have only replaced radiator and brakes aside from regular tune-ups. I am amazed how reliable the car has been. We are planning a trip to Vegas next month and I am worried the water or fuel pump is on borrowed time. Does anyone know how long the pumps last on these cars. This has been a great car.
  • grenmilegrenmile Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 i30t and I have recently started to experience some leaking from my sunroof. The water leaks from the control panel for the sunroof and the surrounding area of the roof is soaked. I removed the panel to try to discover exactly where it is leaking from but was unable to figure it out. Has anyone had this problem and if so, how can it be fixed?
  • danmcdanmc Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 I30 with 130K miles. The car has been operating fine. Suddenly, while driving, both the brake and battery warning indicator lights went on. They have remained on, but there appears to be nothing wrong with the vehicle. All electronics seem to work fine, and the battery doesn't appear to be draining, although I've not driven the car very far. I am reluctant to got through the hassle of a visit to the dealer for this. Has anyone experienced anything like this before?
  • monkfishmonkfish Member Posts: 1
    I have an '01 I30, which I've had for a year now with very few issues/problems thus far. Today I noticed that the AC unit is making a winding (almost like a motorcycle engine)noise when I turned it on. And it goes louder and higher-pitched when I turn the power level (blowing force) up on it, like a motorcycle accelerating. Anyone seen this before? Suggestions/ideas?
  • fadifadi Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I own an I30 in the middle east (Bahrain) the y sell it as a maxima. I had the same problem a year ago and had to replace the distributor fan motor located behind the glove compartment and some electronic adjustment to the control panel all done by the dealer. It costed me around $250.
  • keithvikeithvi Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 I30t began stalling at red lights last week. The problem occurs only after idling for 10sec ~ 15sec then the RPMs drop from 750 to 400 and sometimes the engine just dies. The motor will start right up but the stall will happen again if I have to idle for another 10~15secs.

I suspect the MAF or maybe the IAC valve! Your ideas would be appreciated!

Keith Vidrine
    225-937-8308
  • peglopeglo Member Posts: 1
    I have an '01 I30 with exactly the same problem. The battery checks out good, but the alternator is only charging a little better than 12 volts. The car seems to run fine! It has 57,000 miles on it, so I'm hesitant to assume it's the alternator.
  • andi12andi12 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I own an I30 of 2000 with 76K on it and the car when i bought it was fine i loved it, it has been less then a month now that when I accelerate and go over 2000 RPMs it makes a clicking noise in the engine, i think it is the valves but i am not sure. (I use only premium gas) could anyone please tell me if they had this problem
    thank you
  • carriongcarriong Member Posts: 7
    Hi there,
    Im a new owner of an 2000 I30 which I bought just 6 months ago. Its funny that Ive looked through some other sites and seen that these cars have the same problems.
    My car just started doing this the other day, but it does not want to stay on unless I undo one of the battery terminals then it will stay on. When i try to accelerate it will die on me.
    Were you able to fix your problem?? If so what was it?
    Thanks,
    Gerry~
    Hi Anne,
    I have a 2000 I30 also and i just started to see a similar problem. My car 60K miles on it and when i start it, it stalls after like 10 seconds and when I accelerate it just dies on me. Did you ever fix your problem?
    Hi Michelle,
    My I30 also has the same problem with the engine light, i took it back to the dealer and they said it was a loose connection. I think they just did a reset and gave the car back to me. The light came back on after just a few hundred miles.
    These cars seem to be just problems, I might take it back to the dealer, if i can keep it running after i start and trade it for a Toyota or Honda....trouble free cars.
    Let me know if you got yours fixed or not!
  • shiko31shiko31 Member Posts: 1
    Help! Can anyone tell me if they fixed the problem? I have an I30 and I have the same issues? My car stales on me and the check engine lights pops on everytime they reset. Now they are telling me that I need to fix the wire harness which cost about $3000. Did anyone fix this problem? before I spend my money? and did it work?
    Mine has the same exact problem and the dealer told me it was the mass air flow sensor which is still covered under the warranty.
    You shold get a second opinion on that!
    Im thinking of returning the car, though its nice and smooth there have been quite a few problems with it. It doenst seem very reliable!
  • tomc6tomc6 Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

Does anyone know how to change the light bulb in the Infiniti
    I-30 clock?

The dealer wants $70.00. I don't think so.

Thanks!!
  • rachdhrachdh Member Posts: 1
    Hi - I have the same problem and was wondering if you ever found a solution. Thanks so much for your time in advance!! -Rachel
  • snuggsnugg Member Posts: 4
    If you can or want to here is information on replacing the motor yourself. Mine just stop working the other day. This is the best info i have found so far. http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins/Infiniti/2000/ITB00-067.htm
  • churickchurick Member Posts: 16
    I have a 00 I30 with the same problem,I took it in to a guy that rebuilds alternators and he found a corroded brush. replaced the brush and it seems to work fine. out of the car, I will put it back in this weekend and see if it fixed the problem. only cost $50 bucks, thats a lot cheaper than $264 for a new Alternator.
  • i30guyi30guy Member Posts: 1
    I have an 2000 I30 and the brake lights work intermittently. When not working, car can not be shifted out of park. I have seen a couple other similar postings on this but no response. Is this simply a bad brake switch or relay?
  • jd9jd9 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, my I30 2000 has the same problem and the problem started when we have the warranty (engine service light on), I had it checked, and the dealer shop says no problem (they readjusted the lights), and 2nd time, they changed my battery, and the third time they changed my starter (after warranty, my car was completed stopped) Then a battery replaced again (after car could not be started). I was suggested to change coil which will cost me >$700, I refused.

How do you fixed your problem?
  • annamreddiannamreddi Member Posts: 5
    It seems it got fixed after I changed my Mass air flow sensor.

Srini
  • mboonstramboonstra Member Posts: 5
    I too have a 01 I30t. The battery light and parking brake come on and off together periodically. How did the your repair work?
    My check engine light also comes on and off and my seat has stopped moving forward and back. All of these seem to be very common problems with no easy (inexpensive) fix. This is my second I30t.
    When i was driving down the road every light in the dash would come on and go off: the brake,battery,abs,seatbelt,OD,parking brake. I took the alternator out and brought it in to a guy who rebuilds starters and alternators, he told me he replaced a corroded brush and i haven't had the lights come on yet. But the damn car stills have check engine light on with a P1320 Ignition or Misfire code still, I haven't fixed that yet....
    That sounds frustrating.
    As for my check engine light, it doesn't stay on long enough to bring it to the dealer. They say not to bring it in unless the light is on or no code will come up. So, hopfully the just continues to go on and off and I won't worry too much about it. They said it should be fine to drive. And, from the different comments on this site, it sounds like a very common problem anyways.
    Other than these electical issues, the car is great. It is my second one... never had these problems with my '00 model.
  • i30krisi30kris Member Posts: 2
    My 01 i30t does the same thing. all the lights come on, then it stalls. It was progressive, took about 1 year to totally die. I replaced the battery about a year ago, and i jsut replaced the alternator 2 days ago, still having the same issue. It's going back to my mechanic today, once i get the battery charged long enough to get it there. I'll reply once they tell me what the issue is, maybe that will help you.
  • i30krisi30kris Member Posts: 2
    i just got my car back yesterday. Turns out, it's some connector to the alternetor. They didn't have to replace it, just fix the connector and now it's working. Glad it was so simple, and cheap!
    Has anyone come across this code before. I replaced the alternator and that took care of my lights in the dash coming on. then about three days after i put the alternator in the SES light (service engine soon) came on and its throwing a P1320 code. the only problem I can notice is some hesitation occasionally right after i start it. otherwise it runs fine. after reading through some of these forums it could be anything: Coils, Mass Air Flow Sensor,Cam Shaft position Sensor, Crank Shaft Position Sensor, Wire Harness. Anyone know of any ways to test so i can narrow it done to a couple, Before I start dropping hundreds of dollars on parts that might not need replacing..
    The problem that my car had was the "mass air flow sensor", I got it fixed at the Infiniti dealership which cost approximately $400.00. Luckily I only had to pay $100, the dealershp where I bought the car took care of the rest!!
    Well, after I posted my previous entries my situation got worse. Check engine light has been coming on and off for several months now. So have the parking brake and battery light as I have previously stated. However, last night a whole array of lights came on and off and eventually the car died. Now, I have to have it towed to the dealer. I am not excited about what they are going to have to say, nor the amount of money I am sure I am going to have to cough up. But, I will keep you all posted as the events unfold themselves. From what I've read on this fourm, sounds like an alternator...stay tuned!
  • al57al57 Member Posts: 67
    Can someone give me info on replacement front and rear pads for a 2001 I30..Mechanic told me that part # does not correspond to cars application..and we may have to go to Infiniti for pads..Anyone have any part #'s or manufacturers name for aftermarket applications??
    Did your SES light come on and off. I just made a trip to North Dakota this weekend. the SES light went off the day before we left. I was on a four hour drive on the interstate. the SES light never came on. after I got to my destination. Driving around town for 30 minutes it came back on. after two days there i drove back another four hours on the interstate. SES light was on and a little hestitation occasionally from the engine when the cruise was set. got into ST. Cloud everystop light i got too the car started idling really rough (didn't die) start driving and it would be fine till i stopped at another stop light.....did you experience this at all??? (hesitation with cruise control,SES light going on and off, really rough idling at stop lights.
  • altereeboaltereebo Member Posts: 1
    Driver side rear window does not stay up, it slides down to halfway open position. When I use the button, the motor makes noise but the glass does not move. I manually moved the glass up and duct-taped it so it stays at closed position. I found "window regulators" for sale online for about $70-$80, and they claim it is easy to install. My questions:
    1) Has anybody had similar problem?
    2) Did you fix it yourself or took to a mechanic?
    3) If you fixed it yourself, how complicated was it?
    4) Do you know of any online instructions for this problem?
    5) Any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot for your help.
  • micheailinmicheailin Member Posts: 1
    HI, I have a 1996 Infiniti I30, I have been having problems with my Infiniti. I got some bad gas and I have since put 93 grade in and a gas treatment and moisture treatment, I have had my fuel injectors cleaned and a new battery. I have been experiencing pinging and my car will start then it loses power and stalls. I have to let my car "warm up" for 5 mins. Sometimes it stills stalls or shuts off. All the warning lights come on, this has happened in the middle of traffic during rush hour. When I turn it off it still pings. Any suggestions on how I correct this problem?
  • cwking11cwking11 Member Posts: 2
    I recently sought to replace the brake pads on my 2000 Infinity I30. The front brakes went on fine. The back brakes however are another question. I found it impossible to compress the piston in the caliper. I loosened the brake fluid, bleeder valve but this did not allow compression. I am wondering why. Three possibilities occur to me. First that the caliper is defective and needs replacement. Second, perhaps the anti-lock system has something to do with it, or third the piston actually screws back in and can not be simple pressed back into place. Can anyone help me?
    It sounds like your timing is off! Also, have your mass air flow sensor checked! I have a 2000 I30 and it had similar problems and it was the mass air flow sensor.
    As far as it still pinging when you shut if off sounds like the timing!
    Good Luck~
    Gerry-
    the piston needs to be turned and pressed in at the same time. You can buy the tool to do this at any auto parts store. Its just a cube looking thing that goes on a racthet. Its cost about $10-15 bucks.
  • tamiminfinititamiminfiniti Member Posts: 2
    I have infiniti I30, 97 with 152k miles...I have read the furum and it seems like most infinitis have the same problem. My infiniti runs fine like others but one problem that annoys me the most is when i drive for a while, the brake sign and battery signs goes on and off and at the same time my bose sound system shuts down; however, when i keep the stario off for a minute and trun back on it seems to be fine....after a while it does the same thing...is there anyone who could help me with that???
    I changed my alternator, starter and now they are telling me to change the ignition...I am totally confused about this problem...
  • tamiminfinititamiminfiniti Member Posts: 2
    I have infiniti I30, 97 and i have the same starting problem...when i first bought it with 134k miles on it last summer it gave me the same problem...I spent hours trying to start the car...but it wouldn't start. then somehow i found a way to start it...I turn the key surtain way(hard you could say) and it starts fine...I changed my starter once cuz it wouldn't start but it still gives me the same problem...i told my mechanic and he told me that it could be the ignition. but I am not changing any parts until i am sure exectly what the problem is...I have changed the alternator, starter already. since you are taking it to the dealer and if the problem is fixed please let me know...my email add is ctamim@yahoo.com
  • i30i30 Member Posts: 1
    I just replaced rear break pads for a 1999 Infiniti I30. Pep Boys had what I needed in stock. I'm not sure if the part # is the same for a 2001 I30 but the # was PR540-C ceramic pads.
    Go to Pep boys.com for a complete listing of parts.
  • arssa2020arssa2020 Member Posts: 5
    Hello
    i am new to this forum,
    i am looking into buying 2000 infinit i30, it has 120k miles, the car seems to be in good shape, clean title, no major mechaninc problems exposed, few dents here and there, color is biege,
    seller asking for $7000, i am just worried about the high mileage and whether infinit has expensive maintenance?????
    what are the major known problems for the infinit i30 (STD edition)?

you think this car is a good buy?
    Regards
    Mo
  • refugeescamprefugeescamp Member Posts: 43
    main problems of 2000 i30 is the ignition coils and MAF (mass air flow) sensor. After 100,000 km's the ignition coils should be replaced cause its a matter of time before your service light turns on and it has trouble starting up. To check the MAF sensor, drive around gasing up once in a while for 10 mins, if you notice a clinking or pinging type sound from the engine around 2 or 3 rpm when u has it up (but not so fast) then the MAF sensor needs replacing, or turn the car on and once the engine warms up, jam on the gas and see if it picks up speed like normal, if it seems to not gas up right away or make a weird noise, then your MAF isn't telling your engine the right amount of air to use so u need to replace MAF. A bad MAF might even make your car not feel stable on the highway, like if u use cruise control at 100km/h (canadian) u will notice the car seems to gas then let go then gas then let go instead of keeping a constant smooth speed.
  • refugeescamprefugeescamp Member Posts: 43
    its your ignition coils. The p1320 might even say (primary iginition failure), but when i coil dies, they all tend to die so its best to replace them all at once, this costs an arm and a leg. The problem comes after 100,000km's and it makes your dashboard look like a light bright display
  • ltsjltsj Member Posts: 4
    I also own an Infinity I30 2000, I currently have the SES indicator with a code of P0171. The mechanic I am working with calls this a soft code meaning it has many potiential fixes. He has looked at the car twice and has yet to resolve the problem, though he believes there may be a vaccum leak involved. I will keep you posted as to the results and please let me know if you discover anything new.
  • windowphobe6windowphobe6 Member Posts: 765
    Two months ago I bought a 2000 I30 (88k miles). It is pretty much as perfect as a six-year-old car can reasonably be expected to be.

Admittedly, the 90k service is this week, and I expect no change back from a $500 bill. Still, this is not much more than I spent on Mazdas.