Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 Sedan 2006 and earlier

Comments

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Are all the colors metallic?

I prefer non-metallic paint, red or BRG especially.

My guess is that the entire auto industry has gone to metallic colors because they hide flaws (and dings, for that matter) better than solid colors.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • maybeg35maybeg35 Member Posts: 186
    G35 Luxury Leather Model 26,225
    Premium Pkg 1896
    Sport Suspension 425
    Winter Pkg 517
    Destination Fee 545
    Nav 1805
    Areo Kit 474
    Xenon 474
    Sunroof 826
    Splash Guards 83
    Trunk Mat 55
    Warranty Fee 98
    Advertising Fee 1% of MSRP
    These red pics came from Danny at Grubbs Infiniti in Texas. I don't know where he got them but I did ask before I posted them. Super nice guy and if I was in Texas we would be doing business as he is offering discounts on these cars.
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Let me reiterate. I don't necessarily dislike the rear end. I think Infiniti can "improve" on the aesthetics of the trunk design. It's a nice looking "conservative" sports sedan. I would still get the G35. However, I prefer the G35 coupe.

If I was to get the sedan, the first thing I would do is have those black bottom moldings painted to match the color car. I'm not sure if the aero package includes rear spoilers and color matching bottom moldings (side skirts).
  • 68bullitt68bullitt Member Posts: 177
    I just noticed that if you look at the last photo of the red car's rear closely, you can see a reflection of a silver car which looks like another G35. However, this one looks like it may be the G35 coupe due to the more slanted angle of the rear C-pillar. If so, this would be the first photo we have of an actual coupe. Good job maybeg35! Or maybe it's just another silver G35 sedan or some other car altogether. Who knows?
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    I looked at the pictures on

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/mike1650/lst?.dir=/G35

and saw a prop rod for the hood!!!

what's up with that?!

• kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    yeah man, I agree with ya. hope that's only for the pre-production cars~~
  • norcalmike2norcalmike2 Member Posts: 133
    You know, for not liking red cars, the G35 sure is stunning in red! What do you folks think, are the 5 spoke rims on the red car the 17" sport wheels ot the standard 16" alloys?

Prop rod = one (or two) very expensive gas struts that will never wear out or have to be replaced. For me, a prop rod is a good thing.
  • fburgerfburger Member Posts: 2
    Went to Pleasanton Infiniti to ask when the LA show car would be by for a visit and...it was there, right in front of me, in glorious silver! The rear end looked better in person. The car was being goo-gooed by about a dozen customers, most of them with silver hair too. This is one fine looking automobile. Reminds me a little of a Passat in rear quarter view. Should have been named a J35. I will wait to see the coupe version but this was a good fit. Rear legroom is certainly better than my J.
    I would guess that those gorgeous 5-spoke wheels on the red car are the 17" wheels that come with the Sports Pkg. mostly because they look pretty large in the photos, but I could be wrong. Anyone else know? BTW, I think they look much better than the 17" 6-spoke rims that come on the standard Leather Pkg. cars as seen in most other photos.
  • dpepperdpepper Member Posts: 44
    Danny sent me a slew of high res photos. One included an interior view. It did not have the knee knocker you pointed out on yahoo.
    I think you may be right about them being the 17" sport wheels. Definately different than the 5 spoke wheels on the FreshAlloy.com page. Both 5 spoke wheels are very nice. Looks like I might luck out with my 16" standard wheels.
  • dpepperdpepper Member Posts: 44
    Danny sent me a slew of high res photos. One included an interior view. It did not have the knee knocker you pointed out on yahoo.
    norcalmike2: I don't know, I took a look at the 5-spoke wheels on Freshalloy.com again and to me they look very similar in style to the 5-spoke wheels on the red car. The only noticeable difference being that the wheels on the red car look bigger. But this could just be the angles that the photos were taken at. I really don't know. Is there a dealer out there that knows what the standard 16" wheels on the base car look like?
    I wonder what color choices the coupe version of the G35 will be. Anybody know? Will they be the same as for the sedan? Personally, I would like to see the coupe in Daytona Blue and Silverstone (gray) which are two colors that the new 350Z will be available in. (You can build your own and see the colors on the nissandriven.com website).
  • senduo1senduo1 Member Posts: 1
    The RED G35 above is from the Detroit Autoshow. There was also a Silver one next to it. I saw pics of this car on the internet before I went to the Detroit autoshow. My wife and I were completely overwhelmed by the G35 . It is absolutely GORGEOUS! I currently own a 2000 GS 300 and am amazed at the quality of sheet metal, fit and finish, and paint quality on the G35! The interior was futuristic but was conservative in a way. High quality parts inside! The car seemed longer than my GS 300. Price quoted for a beginner leather/sunroof/standard stereo was around $32K. It starts from $27.5. All this I was told by the Infiniti representative there. Tempted to get one.
  • eg424eg424 Member Posts: 24
    Saw the G35 at the Los Angeles Auto Show and was impressed with the exterior.....from all angles. Unfortunately, they would only allow one person in the car at a time and only in the driver's seat. They also wouldn't let you touch ANYTHING.

I'm interested to know if anyone has had the opportunity to sit in the back seat and judge the foot and headroom? According to the specs, it is close to the I35 with maybe a little more headroom. Also, does anyone know where the woodtrim will be placed? The salesman told me that he was certain it would be on the door pulls but had no idea where it would be placed on the dash....if at all. At a length of 186.1", I think they got it right.
    You had better success at the LA Auto Show than I. I was there on the first day and the car was locked up tight. No one was allowed in the car. Maybe they just lost the keys that day. I sat in the rear seat of a G35 last weekend in Redwood City. The leg room and head room was great and the reclining feature allowed me to recline quite well. Even more interesting was the front passenger leg room. I'm 5' 10" and could not touch the firewall with my feet when the seat was adjusted all the way back.
    Post the pic or pics or email them to me and I will. That's interesting about the bump, lump, whatever it is.
    Mike
  • lsclsc Member Posts: 210
    I think the red looks very nice! It does hide the rear lights a little bit.

As far as the prop rod is concerned, if the hood is made of aluminum, it's no big deal since it'll be very light.

One thing though, the volume & temperature control are on the right side. Seems like Infiniti didn't bother changing it around when they made the switch from right-hand drive to left-hand drive.

I think they need to pay a little more attention to detail. They are missing the mark by a little bit here and there but it's costing them plenty in sales.
  • anoonananoonan Member Posts: 29
    Just yesterday ordered an Emerald Mist with the luxury/premium package (basically everything but Nav). Ordered it here in Columbus, OH. Dealer doesn't expect to deal at all...he did mention that Infiniti will be sending assorted gifts (e.g., a clock) up to the time the car arrives. Now it's just a waiting game!

Salesman mentioned that he thought it had a rear sunshade but I've seen no mention of that in the materials. I think he was confused with the sunroof sunshade.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Proper struts to lift the hood would be more at home in a vehicle that will surpass the $30k price point. Even the lowly Kia Optima has them. I think it's a few bucks that would make people say "wow" whenever you pop the hood.

What's the invoice on the base model, then? If the leather is in the $26k range, the dealer is working with a pretty big margin, it seems.

-juice
  • dfd3dfd3 Member Posts: 57
    Hey maybeg35:

Great work on the red photos. After seeing those, I am seriously considering changing my order! What type of discounts is Danny at Grubbs Infiniti offering? Also, where did you get the invoice pricing info? Grubbs is where I ordered mine and they called me yesterday to notify me that they will have a red one on their showroom floor next Tuesday. I'll see it then.
  • shades80shades80 Member Posts: 53
    The wood trim will be on the doors and the shifter but not on the console..the versions making the shows ahve the titanium on the console so it hard to know what material or colors the console will be with the wood package..the nissan skyline sight shows all kinds of variations of the dash including wood but we wont get that apparently..but the color on the brochure was light in color so it will look great with the black leather.
  • keyrowkeyrow Member Posts: 214
    After seeing the photos of the RED G35 I am definitely a convert to red. I have never liked the color before but this has changed my mind. And in contrast to others here I LIKE THE REAR END. The only thing I will change is to remove the "G35" from the bottom right and just let the back say INFINITI. This way as I pass other lesser cars their drivers will only be able to say, "HUH, Infiniti?"

I still plan on waiting for the Manual to arrive before I commit to purchasing. The only other option for me to consider would be the revised '03 Lincoln LS. If they correct the "deficiencies" that many have complained about it will make for a very difficult decision.
  • gandhim3gandhim3 Member Posts: 191
    Take it from someone who has gas struts on two of his cars. They are nice to have in the first year or two. But once the seals wear out, they are a major pain. May be you guys have a lot more money than I do (actually, I think you probably do), but I keep my cars for more than 5 years; and I expect them to last atleast 10 years. I cannot switch cars every 2 years - which is how long I expect gas struts to last for the hood support.

You actually have to go out of your way to bust a prop rod. If you notice the design of the hood, you will realize that there is not enough "room" to place gas struts. Just look at how the hood creases meet the side of the car and where the cut lines are. I do not see enough metal there to attach gas struts and be strong enough to support a hood - even if it is aluminum.
    I drive a red pickup so this would be a little much for us but I really do like the shade if it is representative.
    I'm going to look at the Silver one again today, it's 4 miles away from here for two days. I'll take some close ups if I can.
  • jerryd3jerryd3 Member Posts: 20
    Infinity should take a lesson from Volvo on hood openers. My 850T has a multi-link hinge with springs in it. They don't take up much space and they still work after eight years. You can raise the hood with one finger. The hinges also have a little release lever that allows the hood to go up to a completely vertical position for when you want to work on it. If only the rest of the Volvo was as reliable as the high end Japanese cars...
    With the Volvo you need a hood that opens easily and fully. Y
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Say I'm cruising about daydreaming about owning a G35 when I spot a house I want. I check it out. It's a decent price, say 330k. If I make an offer on that house without a realtor, then the seller's agent becomes my agent too whether I like it or not. That snake is gonna pull in an additional 9k from me just to fill out a form? He's already getting 9k+ from the seller and now with no effort he's gonna collect another 9 gs.
  • stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    Being a Realtor for 27 years, I can only say that the Seller pays the commission so when I represent a buyer, I get paid that amount and the seller chooses that amount to pay the cooperating broker. The amount of selling commission is a market function. I encourage my sellers to pay 2.5% to the buyers broker if the home is in a high demand/low supply area (most of San Diego). I have sold homes with only 2% to the buyers broker if the home is super high demand (spectacular view, unique,super appeal). On the listing side, I have taken listing for as low as $990 and as high as 3%, but the competition here is high (too many agents), so I take most listings at a flat fee of $1995. Last year I did 14 miilion in volume (58 sides) so it works for me. I am a sole broker and do not have a franchise, office, or employees to pay. The problem with big real estate is that it is not efficient. It is an expensive and complex way to do a rather simple job. Because the public is conditioned to pay large commissions, large corporate entities dominate the business (Century 21, Coldwell Banker, and ERA are owned by the same franchisor). The car business is pretty efficient on the sales side as proven by the rather small margins on the new cars. I think the service side needs some work. Look at the way the flat rate manual is used and what high hourly rate is charged for labor. Only a small fraction is paid to the mechanic. I've never met a car salesman that has made a really good living. In sales, it's the 80-20 rule - 20% make 80% of the money/sales.
    Yes, Pat, I know this is off the subject somewhat but chalk it up to general education.
    If the G35 is a hit, we may have the same dealer abuses as in 1970 with the 240Z. In my business as in cars, it's not a perfect supply and demand market. There are monopoly effects to some degree, depending on market conditions.
    Jerryd3, I have had two Volvos. E-mail me and we can commiserate on Volvo's "early recycling" and thus heavy parts usage. I have found a 20-30% off list price Volvo dealer in Texas.
    My listing agreement allows the seller to sell the house directly to a buyer with no commission to an outside broker. The buyer and seller save at the lower price and I get an Extra $500 fee along with my $1995 for the listing to handle both buyer and seller as their equal agent and do the additional work. Of course, I am very different from the 96% of Realtors who use the Exclusive Right to Sell Listing. I use the Exclusive Agency Listing which allows the seller to do this. When you sell your house, look around for an independent broker who can do this. An independent broker has this kind of freedom, even if he doesn't have the imagination and creativity. Also, when you buy a house, you are a walking wallet. Ask how much of the 3% you are going to get back. I've given from 1 to 1.5% back to the buyer after close of escrow. I recently gave 2% of the 3% back to my buyer in the form of 2% off the price (seller lowered the price 2% because he didn't have to pay the 2% to me). You as a seller or buyer have power. Call your selling agent or listing agent and negotiate this stuff over the phone before you do anything and get it in writing from the Broker (salespeople represent the Broker; only the Broker is your true agent).
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    b4z... Please don't read more than necessary in my discussion. All I ever said is that the commission salesperson works directly for and on behalf of the person who pays their commission. If that is the seller, then they work for the seller and not the buyer. Obviously they provide a valuable service, or else they wouldn't be getting a commission. But that does NOT make them a buyer's friend or someone the buyer should share priviliged information with. That info will get back to the seller for the seller's use. Of course, the salesperson has their own issues at the time and don't want to lose or unnecessarily delay a sale. Here's a scenario. Tell me what the final selling price will likely be:

Seller lists home for $100k. Seller tells realtor he'd be willing to take as little as $94K. A serious prospective buyer tells the realtor he doesn't want to pay more than $91K, but would be willing to buy for $97K. What info will the realtor share the seller about the buyer's pricing points?

Guessing the realtor is going to try to get a sale in the $95-97K range, and will even go $94-$95K if holding out for more causes a big delay or leads buyer to get nervous and start talking about not buying.

The buyer is better off NOT telling the realtor anything (or no more than the $91K amount and say "I'll evaluate any other serious counter offer that comes close).
    I did not know that the G35 also came with a $100K house with it! That is some option. I bet BMW, Benz, Lexus and others are running scared that Infiniti has managed to sell a $27K car that has a $100K house option. Amazing deal!

Oh, wait! Nevermind. I just took a closer look at the previous posts and realized that the discussion of home sales was COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC!!!
    Sounds like a "Dual Agency" situation in that one agent (the listing agent) represents the buyer AND the seller. Not good. Unless there is a financial advantage to either/both parties, the buyer should have their own agent. That way their confidential info should not be compromised. In car sales, all salespeople are "dual agents" in reality, although the dealer would probably disclaim any agency relationship with his salesperson (until some enterprising attorney starts a landmark case establishing that salespeople are indeed agents of the dealer. Then will need buyer's agents to buy cars.)I am sure you can see the similarities. Gandhim3 - I think we are done with this subject. Thanks for your patience.
    Actually, the whole home sales discussion was interesting. But it started to get long in the tooth.

Just trying to put a little humor and guide the topic back to the G35. Hope I did come off sounding edgy.
    No, you were just speaking for many others. When any person in any field starts talking shop and getting deep, there is limited interest. It can be BOOOORRRINGG! But I don't think the G35 will be. Except for the people who don't know FWD from RWD. They should get the I35 so the demand for the G35 won't get out of control. Leave the 6 speed, IRS, LSD for those of us who will probe the limits. The G car could be the poor man's M5.
  • shades80shades80 Member Posts: 53
    Infiniti has created a car(G35)that will appeal to a wider mass then the IS does...lexus will get it right with the next IS-i read that they underestimated how important a 30-40k should appeal to a different crowd then the ES but still want thinks like room, power,wood, etc...they have won over the boyracer crowd who cant afford the car unless their parents buy it for them..if the IS was a toyota and started at 25k..it would be a major hit..the G35 crowd would not buy the IS 300 but also not buy the I35..IMHO.thoughts????
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The IS did cut corners in the interior, and it's way too small to be taken seriously as a sedan for families.

But it does drive nicely. If the G can capture that experience in a nicer, roomier package, Infiniti will have a hit.

-juice
    I just got back from the delaer in San Jose and saw the silver G35 in the showroom. I thought this car looked just as tempting in silver as the one in black that I saw at the auto show. So far I've liked every color of this car that I've seen: silver and black in person and the red one on this board. I'm beginning to wonder if there is a bad color for this car. It seems to look good in any color.

The salesman there was telling me that this car was Desert Platinum because they had a Q45 of that color out on the lot and it looks lighter out in the sunlight. But another person there said it was definitely Brillant Silver and I agree. Still waiting to see what the Twilight Blue car looks like.

There were a couple of customers there already placing orders for the G35. Was one of them you, maybeg35? I was there between 12:30pm and 12:50pm. When were you there?
    I called them just to make sure it was there and this guy Barry said they were making appointments to see it. Can you believe that? No, I bought from Peninsula. Sales consultant was Samuel. I knew a lot about the car but he added info. Samuel said they had sold their allotment out. Peninsula and Frontier are both owned by the same co.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    I had gas struts in cars that were leased for 3 years and they did not show any signs of failing.
  • ligartligart Member Posts: 109
    > I cannot switch cars every 2 years - which is how long I expect gas struts to last for the hood support. I keep my cars for more than 5 years; and I expect them to last at least 10 years.

You replace your entire car when an item wears out? You don't replace anything in 5-10 years? Tires, battery, alternator, steering pump, muffler? WOW! :-O

Folks, struts are bolt-on items and easy to replace all by your lonesome. I've had my car for 10 years (and it was 5 years old when I bought it) and have replaced the hood and hatch struts twice. $20 apiece for a total of $80. A lot cheaper than a new car. ;-)
    Barry was the salesman I dealt with, too. He mentioned the appointments when I asked if the car will still be there on Sat. so I can bring my significant other to see it, too. Unfortunately, it looks like the car will be there only until Friday. I just walked in after I found out the car was there today. I must have interrupted someone else's appointment without knowing it. Oops!
    Wow sounds like we might not be logged onto realtor.com anymore, that's refreshing. It was not the least bit interesting and about as far off the topic as one could get.
    They should be driving around it their G35's with their CVT transmisions about now. Sure would like to see some perforance #'s soon even though their's has more power and the CVT. Any one know someone over there. Should be in their mags soon.
    Replace tires, yes
    battery, yes

alternator, NO
    steering pump, NO
    muffler - may be.

Certinly not in 5 years, and definitely not in 2-3 years. My whole point was that I do not like to replace parts on a car after just two years. Just because something breaks on my car (like the gas struts on my existing car) does not mean I am going to buy a new car.

Besides, I really think the whole gas strut thing may be moot. If Infiniti put struts in the back for the trunk lid, I really do not think they would skimp and not put it for the hood. Like I said before, I do not think there is enough room in that area because of the design of the hood to install gas struts.

This whole gas strut vs. prop rod thing is potentially turining into another "rear end is ugly" debate.
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    The cost to replace the gas struts for the hatch on my '93 Nissan NX2000 was $200 just for parts. Rather than spend the $200, I learned to live with the hatch not staying up.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I doubt if i want a near luxury car whose engine spins at 3-4000 rpm under moderate acceleration. It would drive me crazy.
  • ligartligart Member Posts: 109
    I had the same problem when I checked prices at the Nissan parts dept. They wanted over $80 per strut. Screw that I said. I bought them from the auto parts store for $20 apiece. The only challenge was Nissan saw fit to rivet the mounting bracket to the struts (gee, I wonder why?). For $5 I had a machine shop grind off the rivet head, then I was able to use the bracket with the new struts. :-)

I promise this is my last post about struts. I'm working on one about realtors now ;-)
This discussion has been closed.