Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Liberty: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    jgirl23jgirl23 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all -

I am new to the site......I just bought a used 2003 Liberty Sport 4x4. I loved it when I test drove it - but since having it (only about a month now) - I am worried. When I picked it up from the dealership and drove home - I noticed a very subtle - low level vibration. (it sounds a lot like the vibration you hear when your A/C engages). Prob is - I hear it all the time. I took it to the dealership on 3 separate occassions and each time they tell me there is absolutely nothing wrong with the truck.

Then last week we got some snow - I engaged the 4-wheel drive - put the truck into reverse - and got about halfway out of my parking spot and the truck wouldn't move (despite hitting the gas). Took the truck back in (also - I had a very difficult time pulling the lever to put the truck into 4 wheel drive - took all of my strength!) and just got a call from the dealership saying they still can't find anything wrong with either the 4 wheel drive or the truck.

I am very frustrated - I know something is wrong but they keep telling me its fine. Has anyone else had probs engaging the 4 wheel drive (stiff lever) or the low level hum noise???? I really don't think its "normal" like the service department keeps telling me.

HELP!
  • Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Don't shift into or out of 4wd when you're parked. Shift on the fly at low speed--read the manual-- let off the gas when you engage or disengage. Stay with the full/time mode until you understand the part/time set up. If you think you might need the 4wd in the morning then shift into it on the way home. You'll be fine in the morning. Practice in a empty lot -- on -off etc and you'll be alright.

Can't help you with the noise. My 03 is pretty quiet. Maybe exhaust or heat shield related.
  • Options
    caribou1caribou1 Member Posts: 1,354
    My input about engaging the Part-Time and Full-Time:

When moving the lever, pull it gently towards your leg and not towards the console. You may have gone a bit too far with the lever and reached the NEUTRAL position. This happened to me once. If you are stuck in snow and try to engage the 4x4 mode, you may have to 'jerk' the truck forward and backwards a few times to engage the transmission. This only takes less than one minute.
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Your problem with engaging 4wd mode is the reason that I recommend practicing with the transfer case BEFORE conditions force you to "learn by doing". I doubt that anything is wrong with your Liberty. As for the vibration, remember that a Liberty is still a truck. If you want a quiet, smooth-and deadly dull-ride you may well be happier in a Lexus.
  • Options
    lalalala Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Liberty Limited. Just about 100 miles over warranty the weld in the a/c condenser failed, the blower for the fan stopped working. Also, I contacted the dealership approx. 6 months after owning (purchased new)the interior light would go on and stay on for a few moments at a time. They said the vehicle needs to be taking in while problem is happening. Well thats hard to do since it only lasts for a few mins. My husband believes its the light switch because he notices when he just touches it the lights go on but of course warranty no longer valid. I honestly hate this vehicle!
  • Options
    jgirl23jgirl23 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the information - I picked up my truck last night and all seems well for now. I will practice the 4x4 a few times to get more used to it. I am thrilled that there is nothing wrong - I love my truck! I am very happy to have it back again.

Thanks for your reponses!
  • Options
    I've had the same thing with my two (front) interior lights. When I started the truck one morning this week, the lights would not go off and I had to press onto the two lights until they 'clicked'. Humidity was very low, and I think this is a parasitic static-electricity issue. Unless someone sleeps in it overnight?
  • Options
    sean3sean3 Member Posts: 158
    I dearly miss my Wrangler, No other vehicle comes close, my wrangler was always reliable and the most fun vehicle,for being a wrangler the interior was better designed than so called lux. cars, I now need a larger Vehicle and I want another Jeep product like the Liberty, does anybody actually buy the 4cyl model and if so whats your experience? is the 2wd model rear wheel drive? Like the Liberty, but need more info..any help thanks,bitten by the Jeep bug again :)....Sean
  • Options
    cosmos321cosmos321 Member Posts: 3
    Well after a month of no problem, the speedometer quit again and the engine light appeared. This time they said speed sensor was bad and needed replaced, it was replaced in September also. Also found shards of metal in rear differential, had to replace tone wheel and think this solves the problem, for the 6th time!!!! Will wait and see.
  • Options
    jnautjnaut Member Posts: 17
    Eugene, noticed your post a little late. I have a nearly brand new liberty. When the temperature drops here in Seattle, I would notice what sounded EXACTLY like an absolutely regular relay click about once a second. But I realized quickly that it was the expansion/contraction of the dash- and it happened when I had windshield defogger on-- heat running up through the dash. ONce I realized what it was, I was much relieved. It's just interesting that it sounds exatly like the relay click that you hear when you turn on one of the electrics- such as rear window defogger.
  • Options
    liberty buy the anti-theft system and/or the club, mine's been taken twice!

You might also consider parking somewhere else.
  • Options
    rinfantinorinfantino Member Posts: 5
    Sean -

I understand completely about the Wrangler. There's just nothing like it. However, given that the size of my family won't allow a TJ, I bought the Liberty - 2003. Only problem I had was a rear window rattle that drove me nuts until they fixed it. I really love it. Can't speak about 2wd or 4cyl, but the V6 4wd is great. I offroad as much as possible, and it earns the Jeep name. With a 5000 lb towing capacity, it was a no-brainer for me. The spouse likes it too. She hated the Wrangler and wouldn't drive it. Now, I have to fight for the Liberty.

Good luck on your decision. I know I made the right one.
  • Options
    I also had the rear 'window rattle'. It turned out to be friction of the rear door onto the black metal shoe that holds the door in the vertical position when it's closed. To cure the problem I put a piece of cloth over the shoe and left it there for a few days. I found it was just a bit of dirt caught in the upper angle of the mechanism that caused the noise. It's ok now.
  • Options
    gollumgollum Member Posts: 7
    Hello,

I've posted before on how much I love my Liberty... and I still do, however, with 43K miles on it and already going through front rotors at 15k miles and rear rotors and brake pads at 32k miles, and now just last week I needed new power steering hoses because of steering fluid leakage, and I have an extended warranty that this conviently wasnt covered. I am debating on trading my Liberty in for a new 05 nissan xterra. What is jeep making the parts out of? junk perhaps?...I am torn because I really love my jeep. I am still making payments on it for another 2.5 years, and $$ coming out of my pocket for repairs is really making me regret getting the vehicle. can someone out there tell me if these problems are normal for jeep? brakes every 15 or 16k miles? power steering hoses going at 43k miles...whats next? someone comfort me please. :o)
  • Options
    libertygirl528libertygirl528 Member Posts: 1
    Hi All, I have a 4cyl Liberty and I just love her! However, I would have liked a little more pick-up when taking off, but that may just be due to my driving habits and not necessarily a problem with the Liberty. The only problem I ever had with her is one of the locking mechanisms on the back passenger door. I have not had any mechanical problems whatsoever.
  • Options
    cassyrcassyr Member Posts: 1
    I have put 75K miles on my 2002 Liberty with very few problems. Most recently I am experiencing a heater problem. My heater will blow out cold air unless my car is in motion. Does anyone know what is causing this problem?
  • Options
    eugenethejeepeugenethejeep Member Posts: 8
    Yes exactly the problem, this is what they have decided is my problem, however it only does this when I chose the dash vents/floor option for the heater. However it is cold here for 7 months of the year and for what I paid for the Jeep I would have hoped to not have this problem. They took the dash apart to "fix" it, and now it is worse. They will try again.

Thanks for writing.
  • Options
    lib2005lib2005 Member Posts: 1
    I used this forum and others in choosing this car, thought I'd contribute. With about 4K miles, the car is perfect. We got a loaded 2005, yes it rides a bit rough but we have a vette, truck, Rav - better than all of them for ride. Great road handling, decent not great power in the 3.7L, can't imagine a 4 cyl pushing this heavy thing around, ugh. Will post whenever we have an issue; I'll shop for a 3rd party extended warranty when the factory warranty is about up. Good luck all and thanks, TD, San Jose, CA.
  • Options
    kwagner88kwagner88 Member Posts: 18
    I've posted this before and after ready several recent posts about it, thought I'd do it again. . .

About two years ago, the speedometer in my 02 liberty started jumping around and would even just plain drop to zero. First trip to dealer, of course, was a "can not duplicate" fix for them. I dealt with the problem for a few months until the speedometer finally stopped working long enough to cause the engine light to come on. Second trip to dealer and they told me that there are three speed sensors and they just picked one sice they weren't sure. Sure enough, it failed again 100 yards from the dealership. Again I took it in and this time, they actually spent some time looking into the problems and found a broken wire onthe speed sensor located on the top of the rear differential. It was broken by the emergency brake cable hitting the end of the connector.

If you have this problem, check it out. It's pretty easy to fix yourself. .just be sure to tie-wrap the cables back away from the sensor or it wil happen again. This sensor is also used by the cruise control so even if you don't see the speedometer jumping around, you'll know there is a problem because the cruise control will go crazy over the intermittent signal.

BTW. . .I LOVE MY LIBERTY!! I hate the brakes, but love the vehicle.
  • Options
    libertyinctlibertyinct Member Posts: 15
    Hello everyone. I've written to this post before, but it's been a while. Here's the latest issues that I been having with my Jeep.

The first problem that I've been experiencing is the downshift banging into gear problem. I've seen from older posts that this has been a recurring problem with other Liberty owners. Any suggestions/ideas?

The second problem that I haven't been able to figure out is the "wobble" feel that I've been getting from the steering. I've had other cars in the past, and felt the same thing and it ended up being a wheel bearing. I'm wondering if this could possibly be the same thing. It feels like it might be the passenger side wheel. Anyone else had this problem?

I have to say this, even with all the problems I've had. I love my Jeep Liberty!
  • Options
    kwagner88kwagner88 Member Posts: 18
    Like many of you, I've had/have many of the same quirks that you have. . very slight pull to the right and yes, my liberty "bangs" into some gear while slowing down to make a turn (always has and the dealers know about this problem, but DC doesn't seem to care). It only happens in a certain band and I try to avoid it until my dealer tells me they have some new software to correct this wierd problem. It is a scary problem since it is my personal opinion that Chrysler transmissions are the worst on the market (and I don't think many would disagree).

Other than horrible brakes, uncomfortable seat and useless glove compartment, I still love my Jeep and wouldn't trade it for anything. It will, unfortunately, be my last jeep. There is too much of chrysler in them for my taste.
  • Options
    I think DC needs to care. There seems to be a lot of posts on this board concerning transmission problems. I was really interested in what someone had posted concerning the software that controls the shifting in the transmission switching to a default program once the original encountered a glitch.

PS. I don't know if you'll agree with me on this but, the OEM Goodyear tires are worthless. I can't wait to get them off my Jeep.
  • Options
    I noticed that my automatic transmission would 'bang', as you say, when I downshift from 3rd gear at 900 rpm into 2nd gear. This is typical of a vehicle/engine speed sensing that opens and closes the torque converter. I just accelerate a bit for a second before shifting into 2nd and release the throttle when it's engaged. This gives me a smooth downshift and is comparable to double clutching on the manual gearbox.
  • Options
    The "banging" that I've been experincing has been when I've been coming to a stop. It seems like it is banging down into first gear. I also get the same sensation when starting up from a stop. I think it has to do more with coming in and out of first gear.
  • Options
    I agree with you when you have a short stopping distance and leave the transmission engaged. But in this case the 'bang' is much softer than what I described earlier... I usually shift into Neutral just before reaching standstill. With the diesel you get a lot of torque for nothing while waiting in a queue, you burn more fuel and I believe brakes wear faster.
  • Options
    jpelejjpelej Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Liberty w/ an automatic tranny. When I first got the vehicle I noticed a vibration when maintaining the vehicle at 45mph. It was minor and sounded almost like a vibration in the exhaust system. More recently, about 28,000 miles, the vibration has come back even louder. Now when I am maintaining 45mph to 52mph the vehicle rumbles somewhere in the drive train. You back off on the gas, it goes away. You put the vehicle in neutral it goes away. You put it in 4-Wheel Drive and it is slightly amplified.

Anyhow, I took it to the dealer and they balanced and rotated the tires even though I told them it wouldn't fix it. In addition, I have the clunking noise that others speak of when taking off from a stop. The dealer claims it is the design of the transfer case.

Please let me know if you have had a similar vibration problem. I have seen some threads where people had their driveshaft replaced with some positive results I guess I do not want the dealer playing hit or miss with this problem.
  • Options
    Could you put the truck on four steady rests, remove the wheels and simulate the 45mph? If there is no more vibration then suspect the wheels or wheel bearings.
  • Options
    jpelejjpelej Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your input. The vibration seems to be coming from the tranny, transfer case, or one of the propeller shafts. I will ask the dealer to try to replicate the problem without wheels when I take it in next week. In addition, I am getting new tires this weekend, so we will see if that changes the noise at all.
  • Options
    Can you feel the vibration in the lever of the transfer case while changing from 2WD into 4WD? This could be a loose fixation point of the tranfer case itself.
  • Options
    iracanuckiracanuck Member Posts: 3
    I am taking my 02 liberty in for service again to fix the banging when coming to a stop. They fixed it once before. Mine will only do it when slowing to a stop while driving in a straight line. It will not do it when coming to a stop while turning. Apparently it is the rear differential that is causing it. (I have the limited slip)There is TSB (technical service bulletin)that recommends changing out the fluid. It worked last time they did it, but has returned again after 12000 miles.
    Let me know if this is the same problem/cure that you are experiencing
    Larry
  • Options
    lvkatwomanlvkatwoman Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I've been driving my 04 Liberty Limited for 5 months now and love it. I first noticed that when I park and turn the engine off, there's a lot of "pinging" coming from under the vehicle. My neighbor says it's the catalitic converter and is normal. Anyone know if this is true?

Also, since the weather turned cold and (very) wet, I'm hearing a rubbing noise from the rear axle or wheels. I think it's something to do with whatever they use to lube the wheels or axle, as it goes away after I've driven a few blocks. My neighbor has an 04 Liberty Renegade and is experiencing the same thing. Wet weather seems to affect it more than anything. Any ideas?
  • Options
    Hello,
    I have a fluid leak underneath my liberty. the leak is about center of the vehicle. I had this issue about a month ago, and the dealer said I need new power steering hoses. So, $278.00 later it was fixed. but now the problem is back. my question is, isnt yellow fluid usually anti-freeze? Last time this happened we had a blizzard, this time it happened (2 days ago) we had another snow storm. I am thinking it has to do with me using my selec-track and 4WD. Any ideas?
    I am going to take it back to the dealer but I have a feeling they may be taking advantage of me. They are awear that I have the DC extended warrantee and said how unfortunate that the power steering hoses werent covered under that. Any knowledge would be certainly appreciated.
  • Options
    fc150collectorfc150collector Member Posts: 1
    After 22 months of trips to the dealership for brake moan, oxy sensor, non functioning parking brake, wooshing sound at startup (claimed to have fixed, but did it at pick up from service) and now a transmission problem and sinking brake pedal when sitting at stops, the dealership finally bought our liberty with 22,000 miles back for $500 less than we owed. We considered ourselves lucky as we couldn't have afforded to keep it repaired when the 36,000 mile warranty expired. My advice to anyone thinking of buying a liberty is lease it for 2 years instead. You will save money in the long run, because you will be very sick of it when the lease expires and ready to give it back. As for everyone with the brake moan problem, it needs a re engineered rear axle and I was told that being is isn't a safety issue, DC isn't planning to do anything about it.
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I thought DC made lemon law buy-back customers sign a non-disclosure agreement. Hope they don't find out; DC DOES monitor this forum you know...
  • Options
    Yeah, mine does it. I don't think it's anything to worry about. It's metal underneath the vehicle cooling. I noticed it when my Jeep was brand new (still happens, I've got 7200 miles now). I didn't think it was the catalytic converter per-se, but the general 'heat shields' and what not around the exhaust which are usually made of think metal that tends to 'ring'- harder, more solid pieces often doin't make the light 'pinging' noises that you describe.

As for the 'rubbing noises', I don't know-- what kind of tires do you have? At what speed do you detect it? Can you hear it from outside the vehicle?

Paul
  • Options
    skybird19skybird19 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my 2004 Jeep Liberty for about 8 months, and i just noticed that every time i go over a bump in the road, something (i think maybe the shocks??) makes a sound like someone jumping on a bed, or a springy sound (it's the only way i can describe it). I took it to the dealer, and they "lubed" it and said i was all set, but i dont think they did anything. Does anybody know anything about this??
  • Options
    Coil springs tend to twist a bit every time they are compressed. If you lubricate where they rest, they will have more 'play' in their rest/support area and make more noise under less load. Corrosion is great in this case...
  • Options
    zeke1312zeke1312 Member Posts: 7
    May be caused by rubber bushings used in the Liberty suspension. My JGC makes a similar sound while driving over speed bumps.
  • Options
    jjjaxjjjax Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I just got a new 2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD with Auto Transmission this week and I've been noticing that it seems to hesitate when going from park to drive or reverse. I didn't notice it so much the first couple of days but over the last 2 days, it has seemed to be more noticeable. If I shift then wait like a couple of seconds to release the brake pedal and step on the gas, it seems to go fine. Is this normal?
  • Options
    jjjax:

I think that a common complaint you'll find among liberty owners is the transmission is a little sloppy. I love my jeep but if I had to nick the liberty on any feature, it would be the xmission.

There are times when it sort of 'bangs' into gear- there are hesitations at odd times, and if you're rolling in reverse and slam it into drive, there is a hesitation and a 'clunk' before it takes off. I'm old fashioned in that I don't like to throw ANY automatic into drive when I'm rolling backwards-- so I just avoid it. I like to give the xmission time to resolve itself before jerking it in a new direction.

Paul
  • Options
    rbt33176rbt33176 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone experienced problems with the AC and radiator fan? Dealer says my radiator fan module needs to be replaced. Cost over $350.00. AC blowing hot air, dealer claims it's because the radiator fan is not working.
  • Options
    lvkatwomanlvkatwoman Member Posts: 2
    I only hear it when it's been cold and rainy. It makes the rubbing noise when I first start driving (low speeds), and by the time I go a couple of blocks, it stops. It's like whatever they use to lube the wheels or axle, hardens in cold wet weather, but after you drive a few blocks it warms up and everything gets lubed and is fine. You can hear the noise from outside the vehicle, but not as loud. Like I said, my neighbor also has an 04 Liberty and experiences the same thing. It's definitely something on the axle or wheels because if I speed up, the noise speeds up...if I slow down, the noise slows down.
  • Options
    jjjaxjjjax Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the feedback, I guess it's better to have a common complaint then a unique one. I finally got a chance to put a few miles on it over the weekend and I love it.
  • Options
    rboccellarboccella Member Posts: 5
    New post. Just picked up my loaded limited 500 miles ago. No initial defects and I actually like the ride. Comfortable on long trips - both winding roads and highway. Yes, it's a truck, but I think it's a better road vehicle than my 2001 Tribute. Interior quality and build is much better, as well.
  • Options
    rskncrsknc Member Posts: 2
    jjjax - the transmission sounds fine. The delay comes from the electronic control of the shifting within the transmission. I have a 02 Liberty Ltd. w/over 47K miles and it has had a slight delay since day one. This has been discussed in prior threads. Enjoy your Jeep!
  • Options
    cdivadyecdivadye Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2004 Liberty LTD 4x4 w/an automatic tranismission. I noticed a rubbing and vibration during the first 1000 miles at slower speeds esp. when making a left hand turn. It was very noticeable on neighborhood streets and parking garages. I made a complaint when I took the vehicle in for the 3000 mile service and was told that was a normal brake type noise. They didn't even look at the car to check it out. After picking the car up, the noise became a clunking noise like you describe. It is in the shop as I type this with only 4000 miles on the vehicle. The clunking noise is esp loud when taking off from a stop also.

THey initially thought it was a ball joint recall. Then they decided it might be the power steering rack and pinon. Now they think is is a control arm. I willlet you know if that fixes my problem. Although, I doubt I want to keep the car now - with problems already occuring at 4000 miles. It's too bad because I did really like the vehicle a lot.
  • Options
    cjm6cjm6 Member Posts: 1
    I am extremely happy with my Liberty 2003...I have over 25,000-and have not experienced problems. I love driving it...it is alot of fun!

We loved the jeep so much we bought another one....they are alot of fun.

I am curious though..we have are Jeeps serviced directly at the dealership we bought from..every three thousand. Very good group of individuals. I am wondering with all these issues that everyone is having..do they get the regular 3K servicing that is suggested..or are people going different places?
  • Options
    I recently traded in my 03 liberty sport for an 05 renegade. what a huge difference with shifting from park to reverse to drive...very smooth... my sport used to bang into gear since day one. im sure it was normal and it never bothered me much.
    I traded it in with 45K miles on it and went through 2 sets of brakes/rotors, and power steering hoses. Im hoping that this model will have no brake problems like I had.
  • Options
    libltdlibltd Member Posts: 4
    There is a small lighted indicator at the bottom of my '05 Limited's speedometer that mysteriously brightens and dims. It reads "Type 43". What is this? Just a speedo label, or is it trying to communicate with me? If the latter, what is it trying to say? I don't speak Chrysler.
  • Options
    lopezallopezal Member Posts: 1
    Did you get an answer to your question? My 2005 liberty looks to have a trani cooler. However, the windshield sticker does not call it out as an installed option?
This discussion has been closed.