Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Liberty: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    kdh2okdh2o Member Posts: 2
    so you would know about replacing a taillight? I removed the two screws and it is still stuck on there, afraid to pull too hard on it.

(and not to break it?)
  • Options
    anza1anza1 Member Posts: 8
    Hi all, just got a new Renegade and up til now it's been great on and off-road. Yesterday however, i was trying to engage 4WD on a flat, level surface at about 10mph. Initially, the 4WD would not engage at all and ultimately, I could not get it past 4WD-H. When i did try to drive in 4WD-H, the wheels/drivetrain would lock hard as if i had the parking brake on. Dealership service tells me that this is due to the fact that it is not intended to be used on pavement and that it should be fine off-road. "No problem Found." Sounds fishy to me. Anyone have experience with this?!! Was told to re-read the manual, but it's at the dealership, with my car!!
  • Options
    willysjeepwillysjeep Member Posts: 107
    I traded in my Dakota after 12 fine years of service on a brand spankin' new Jeep Liberty diesel.

I've had no problems with the Jeep and want no problems.

What I do want is a repair manual. They all break and some of us skip the manly part and go right to the book. My problem is that I can't find a repair manual. I've looked on the web and it looks like Haynes, Chilton and Clymers don't have a manual for the diesel Liberty (Cherokee).

Has anybody out there seen one? I contacted my local dealer and got no reply on a request for a service manual. I even tried the website of Motori, the Italian manufacturer of the engine.

I'm new to this site. Hope I didn't ramble too much.
  • Options
    infofilterinfofilter Member Posts: 2
    I also noticed this problem on my two weeks new liberty. will try your method and see. Another thing is I am feeling jerk when the transmision switch at about 15mph, is that normal on a new car?
  • Options
    caribou1caribou1 Member Posts: 1,354
    Here is where you will find it:
    http://www.tweddle.com/techinfo-europubs/
    The only trouble is last year the service cd was sold 84 euros and now it's 200 ????
    Sad but true.
  • Options
    "The only trouble is last year the service cd was sold 84 euros and now it's 200 ????
    Sad but true."

Ouch! The Euro is valued 1.34 to 1 US dollar today so the CD is $268 bucks. What kind of game is Daimler Chrysler playing? This must be some sort of mistake. Even used car dealers aren't that crooked.

Thanks for providing that information. The vehicle is new and so she ought to hold up for a while. I don't plan on taking it out in the bush for a bit. At least not until fishing season.
  • Options
    meatsmeats Member Posts: 3
    Hi, To put my Liberty into 4WD LO I need to put it into Park or Neutral then pull the 4WD handle back until it stops then push the handle to the right and pull back, this puts the drivetrain into neutral then pull the handle all the way back...and you are in 4 LO. 4 HI can be engaged at speeds up to 45 MPH.
    4WD is not intended for dry pavement especially if you are in any kind of a turn.
    Hope this helped
  • Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Give it a whack with the palm of your hand. It comes loose. If you are afraid, drop in at the dealer and the service advisor will assist you.
  • Options
    shermansherman Member Posts: 1
    odi,
    I'm having the same problem with my CD player on an 04 Liberty also. How was your problem resolved? Thanks.
  • Options
    azbound05azbound05 Member Posts: 3
    I have a '02 Jeep Liberty and need to replace the speed sensor since my engine light is on and my speedomotor isn't working. I've looked online and can't find anywhere that tells me where to find it. I have one on order and need to replace it ASAP since I am driving across country. Anyone know if the tachometer is still keeping track of my miles somewhere since it has been busted?
  • Options
    jeffwieczjeffwiecz Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

Thanks to whomever for this forum - I've found it very informative so far.

I've had my 04 Jeep Liberty Limited for a little over a year now. The first 3000 miles were great, the car was nice and tight and solid. After that it started to loosen up.

Since it isn't a German or Japanese car (which I am used to driving), I expected some rattles. But at around 6,000 miles a creaking noise started to occur on normal stopping/acceleration (exactly at the point of stopping and beginning to accelerate). I initially thought it was coming from the driver's seat.

I've had it to the dealership 4 times, and they heard the problem but could not tell where it was coming from, but seemed to think that it was coming from underneath the vehicle. I dropped it off earlier this week, and they've had it for four days (and, incidentally, I've been paying $30/day for a rental car - when I had my Nissans services, I got a free car, a car wash, and a phone apology for the inconvenience from a district Nissan rep, but that's another story).

They now seem to think that it is coming from one of the skid plates based on some ancient TSB, which I do not buy. It sounds EXACTLY like a creaking spring, and sometimes it has a loud POP and CLUNK.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what was it? And do you think I have any chance of getting Chrysler to reimburse me for the rental car?
  • Options
    That does help, thanks a lot. After reading the manual again and playing with it in the dirt, i believe it's working fine. As many others have noted, I'm still having problems with the transmission being sloppy. It always seems to be in too high a gear and really dogs on the upslopes without downshifting on its own. Stutters and delays in shifting are also common. Back a ways in the chain, someone mentioned "Flashing" the chip. Since this is an '05, I'm wondering why they wouldn't have done this at the factory or if perhaps they did and that what I'm experiencing actually IS the "better" software... has anyone had any recent experience (luck) with "flashing" chips or fixing this transmission issue? My "5-Star" dealer didn't seem to know anything about it.
  • Options
    The local dealer contacted me today. The dealer will sell me a CD for less than $100 US with repair manual information on it. I guess I was too impatient. After hearing what the folks in Europe pay, I'm happy.

Still, why do the Europeans have to pay such a high price for the same information? Is the high price of the CD in Europe an example of price gouging or what?

"There is a small lighted indicator at the bottom of my '05 Limited's speedometer that mysteriously brightens and dims. It reads "Type 43". What is this? Just a speedo label, or is it trying to communicate with me? If the latter, what is it trying to say? I don't speak Chrysler."

I've got that too. I'm guessing it is a "type 43" speedometer. I think it brightens and dims somewhat with reflected light and may, in fact, not be backlit.
  • Options
    I'm not sure if anyone replyed to this but...the cooling coil is not in the radiator.
    The Liberty has a standard air cooled transmission cooler and a heavy duty towing one. This is the same as the Dodge Caravan and other DaimlerChrysler vehicles.The Jeep does have one nice thing ...an overtemp sensor in the tranny!
  • Options
    The speed sensor is located on top of the rear differential, just where the two curved hand brake cables meet to reach the wheels. It's easy to locate when the truck is on a lift. You have to make shure the routing of the sensor cable is below the brake cables otherwise they touch and damage the sensor. The same applies for the front disks ABS sensors. On the left side I had a cable 'pinched' under the suspension bumper because the fastening clips were not properly mounted. This take a minute to change.
  • Options
    I'd be glad to buy one as well, especially for the wiring diagram.
  • Options
    wesley1derwesley1der Member Posts: 49
    Looking at a 02 Liberty with 50K. What should I be on the look out for if I decide to buy?
  • Options
    jeepvictimjeepvictim Member Posts: 2
    a psychiatrist. and earplugs. and about $5,000 to cover the 1st year repair expenses.
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    So can I assume that you only were able to obtain the last two items?
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    What should I be on the look out for if I decide to buy?

I'm sure you meant what you should look out for before you decide to buy. In any case, I'm sure there will be Liberty owners here willing to provide serious advice.

tidester, host
  • Options
    Hi All!
    Anyone out there ever put a 3-4" lift on a Liberty? I just want to make it a little more capable off-road, nothing drastic. Any advice on lift kits, tire size, brands, etc? About how much should I expect to pay for a good lift & tires?
  • Options
    jeepvictimjeepvictim Member Posts: 2
    who said i wasn't being serious? seriously, he needs to just look for a different car, preferably something made in europe or japan.

he should also take note that this is a forum of "jeep liberty problems" with 1500 entries.

after listening to the squeaks, rattles, and clunks of my 02 liberty for two years, and warranty repairs that included replacement of the transfer case, final drive assembly, front suspension, oil pump and ECM, and spending over $4,000 on a veritable cornucopia of other repairs once the warranty expired, i traded the lump in for a bmw x5.

that kept me from having to get a psychiatrist. now, after 20,000 miles on the bmw, all i need to do is change the oil and rotate the tires, and it is still quiet as a mouse and squeak and rattle free.

i really did try earplugs on the liberty. seriously.

now my son has gone and made the same mistake i did - went for a cheap MSRP and big rebates (which is another signal - you get what you pay for) and bought a liberty, and guess what...it, too, is a lump. ABS failed, instrument panel went dead, passenger power seat stopped working, fuel pump went out leaving him stranded in a blizzard, and started leaking transmission fluid - all within the first 12,000 miles.

so rest assured, tidester, i am being serious.
  • Options
    "I'd be glad to buy one as well, especially for the wiring diagram."

I've got it on order. They said it would be in around seven to ten days. The CD ROM was much less than the paper version so this is what I've ordered.

I could probably cut and paste out the wiring diagrams and send them to you. However, I'm not sure where to send them AND Jeeps with sirens and rotating flashing bubble gum machines on the roof could show up at my door. Then I'd be introduced to the Copyrite Police. When I get the disk, I'll have to see what the legal disclaimer is at the front.

You know, you wouldn't think a big company like Daimler Chrysler would care if I sent you some wiring diagrams for an expensive vehicle that you bought from them. However, this is a strange world.

In my opinion, I think CD ROM repair manuals ought to be included with every new car sold.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    In my opinion, I think CD ROM repair manuals ought to be included with every new car sold.

They also should have a built in sensor reader that tells you what's wrong in understandable language on the NAV screen and a full self-test diagnostic mode, and menu selectable options for weekend tweaking of the computers and engine/tranny controls.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    When I say I want to buy one, I mean officially. 100USD is a fair price. If you do mechanics on your own, the truck is very well built with standard elements, easy to repair and meant to last more than 10 years. My dealership told me the US models did not receive a wax protection under the chassis because I was complaining about 2 'misses' in the coating. I know some elements will be corroded in the coming 20 years.
  • Options
    Do you remember the early Macintosh (Mac+) with it's icon saying something like "we are fixing this problem for you..."
    All the people I knew who beneficiated from this technology were those who could get around problems anyways. You had to be rich to own one at the time.
    The same could apply if you had a built-in controller that would cost around $12.39 and reduce DC's profit. It can also create panic if the driver has no technical incline and the warning message comes on when in the middle of no-where. I think a cell phone that automatically calls for help/service would be safer. $75 should cover this.
  • Options
    wesley1derwesley1der Member Posts: 49
    Thanks for the come back. I didn't think they were that bad. I'm will be thinking of going a different direction.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I guess that's why I never owned a Mac. And good point about the cell; guess that's why some people go with OnStar.

My old DC minivan would give me limited codes by turning the ignition on and off a few times and counting the flashes, but it wasn't especially helpful.

It's nice that most of the auto parts stores will now hook up their OBDII readers to your car and look up the codes for free.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Every topic seems to have a bitter alleged owner/former owner who has nothing good to say about a given vehicle. Remember that even if a story is true-a BIG if, IMNSHO-it is only one person's supposed experience. As for my credentials, I served on the BMW Car Club National board for almost ten years. I've owned and wrenched on more Bimmers than jeepvictim has BMW emblems on his X5(I still have two) and I can tell you that more than a few X5 owners have been dismayed by the build quality and reliability of the big Xer. The Grand Cherokee may have a worse reliability history than the X5, but the Liberty's reliability definitely beats that of the X5 overall. That said, the reliability of the Pathfinder and Xterra eclipses the whole bunch.
  • Options
    Caribou said:

"My dealership told me the US models did not receive a wax protection under the chassis because I was complaining about 2 'misses' in the coating. I know some elements will be corroded in the coming 20 years."

I've looked under the vehicle. Some of the suspension elements are rusting. What is a wax protection coating? I got the extra body protection from the dealer (equivalent to Rusty Jones or Ziebart) because where I live they regularly feed the rust worms with the salt they dump on the roads.

Is this wax protection something you can spray on the bottom of the vehicle to repel water?

I still have less than 2,000 miles on the machine so maybe it isn't too late to starve the rust-worms.
  • Options
    It's a 'soft' protection material that doesn't tear or come off when gravel hits the bottom of the vehicle. From what I heard, there could be an environmental issue depending on where you live. In hot weather conditions this coating tends to melt and drip. This is commonly used by VW, and 15 years later it still melts and stains the paint. The stuff is really good and I believe it was used before galvanic body protection became a standard.
    I think you can always use a sand blaster and then an equivalent to phosphoric acid to stop corrosion. "Loctite" makes something really good.
  • Options
    I had a look at Ziebart's web page.
    This looks like what I have as standard protection. The wax is usually injected in hollow areas such as in the two rectangular 'frames' that are welded under the body. My 'frames' seem not protected inside. You can stick a mirror or your fingers in the openings to check.
  • Options
    renegaderrenegader Member Posts: 73
    I tried lifting my Liberty twice:

1) OTT kit from rocky road outfitters:
    http://www.rocky-road.com/liberty.html

2) Now I´m going with Rusty´s Offroad KJ Liberty 2.5" Suspension Kit ('02-'05), long springs and shocks Http://www.rustysoffroad.com.

3´´ lift would make overstressing by front ball joints and you would miss the upper factory bumpstops, they are too short then. But for some show...
  • Options
    In Europe there is no extra body protection, too. One dealership told me they do sometimes this protection by new cars, to get more customers. I was not´ so lucky when I purchased it...
  • Options
    You should look on front ball joints, especially lower. It seems to be critical part of Liberty. I ´ve got the first pair on recall at 50K, now I have to change them again at 80K.
    More can you find at Liberty recalls by NHTSA http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov, find recalls and select what you need.
  • Options
    The only suv I know of that didn't have any protection was the russian Lada. Even my Land Rover 109 had it on more than 30 years ago!
  • Options
    Do you have TracLoc differential? If yes, the sound, vibration and rubbing can be caused with its effect. In my case helped properly added Mopar friction modifier. Good Luck!
  • Options
    Hi, caribou1, glad to read you again! I give some photos on web next week.
  • Options
    My post 1524 is for you, anza1
  • Options
    Thanks, Renegader!
    I checked out the websites - very helpful and a bit less expensive than i feared. I'm leaning toward the full suspension lift as opposed to the spacers. Was there a problem with the Rocky-Road lift-kit that you tried that caused you to go to Rusty? Let me know how that goes.
  • Options
    infofilterinfofilter Member Posts: 2
    When I slowly slow down (not speed up) my liberty in traffic, I notice that there is a jerk around 9 mph. anybody has same experence?
  • Options
    ilikeitilikeit Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2004 jeep liberty used with 14000 on it and i have noticed that at idle it makes a noise like back in the day when we used to put baseball cards in the rims of our bicycles. Kind of like a miniature helicopter I had it to the dealer and he said that it was a normal noise for the 3.7liter jeep engine, is there a such thing as normal noise and do any of the other jeep owners hear it, I would appreciate it some people took a second or two to go out start it up turn down the radio and vents to see if they hear it.

thanx,
    confused
  • Options
    ilikeitilikeit Member Posts: 2
    yes. my dealer said that it is the overdrive i don't know if you have overdrive but try it with it off
  • Options
    vanesachristmavanesachristma Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a Liberty 2003 and it makes 16.5 miles to the gal. What should I do? How do other Jeep owners deal with this problem? Should I sell the car? I love it otherwise...

Thank you

Vanesa
  • Options
    jnautjnaut Member Posts: 17
    "I just bought a Liberty 2003 and it makes 16.5 miles to the gal. What should I do? How do other Jeep owners deal with this problem? "

Uhm, that's not a 'problem', it's called 'conditions'. my 3.7 liter is rated at 17 city, 21 highway. If you're getting 16.5- then there's little to complain about. Some people complain they get 13. I personally think they have driving issues. My average is toward the low end of the range, but still within the 17/21 numbers. If I use heavey air conditioning, hard acceleration, carry cargo etc., I've seen numbers as low as 15.5 But it's rare. So, when I see the 'problem' of low gas mileage, I drive more conservatively and it fixes that 'problem' right up.

Paul
  • Options
    azbound05azbound05 Member Posts: 3
    I have tried replacing the speed sensors, both the input and output and it's still not working. The cables looks good and I don't know what to check next. The back speed sensor is only for the ABS which my Liberty doesn't have. Any suggestions what to check next?
  • Options
    jnautjnaut Member Posts: 17
    div2 wrote:
    "Every topic seems to have a bitter alleged owner/former owner who has nothing good to say about a given vehicle. Remember that even if a story is true-a BIG if, IMNSHO-it is only one person's supposed experience."

I agree. However, I don't discount that people own their vehicle or are being dishonest per se. However, I do think that people let their emotions run away with them- ie they had a bad experience with a dealer, and project that onto the car. Some people's perception of a problem can also be so far off the mark, the the real problem (if there even is one) becomes so obscured, it can never be solved.

In my experience, cars are much like computers (my industry). Often times, the description of the problem is usually way off from what is really happening. And, like computers, an occasional unit will come off the line and is just simply a lemon. It's surely unfortunate for the individual that spent $20,000+ on the vehicle- and dealers should do the right thing in these cases, but it shouldn't reflect on the whole line. When reading postings of individuals, you have to take each one and interpret it carefully.

Also, a forum called 'jeep liberty problems' is going to attract, you guessed it, a large number of people with...wait for it... jeep liberty problems. Also, again like the computer industry, when things are working well, you'll hear very little. When they're not, you'll get an earful. For every one bitter owner who has experienced a slew of problems, there are probably a thousand who have had no trouble whatsoever.

There are a LOT of Liberty's on the road. For a vehicle that's only been around a couple of years, that says something. I never buy a vehicle in its first year, it's just a personal rule of mine. There are often little bugs to be worked out of a first run car model- just like any other complex device.

Anyone looking to purchase a Jeep liberty should know that the vehicle, overall, is an excellent rig. I can also attest that your gas mileage should be right in the zone of what the sticker claims if you don't drive like an aggressive teenager, or live in unduly harsh conditions. It's a tough, rugged vehicle with great capabilities. Fun to drive-- one of the easiest I've ever driven. Great for urban settings where turning radius and parallel parking abilities are a must. And needless to say, a most capable off-roader.
  • Options
    You make several excellent points-and I don't doubt that most of the people posting in these forums are sincere. The individuals I am referring to are the ones who are so "out there" that they really cannot be taken seriously. Like one of our more recent examples, they usually only post one or two manic diatribes and then disappear into the broadband ether. I only participate in the topics that concern vehicles that I own or am interested in. Life is too short to waste it rehashing bad experiences.
  • Options
    What was the verdict on the water on the filler cap?
    I have notice the same thing. I think that it is condensation due to such a long filler neck. I had a vehicle that had a bad head gasket...no mistake there oil gets milky and frothy.
    Let me now what, thanks
This discussion has been closed.