Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Astro air vents fail when accelerating uphill

rpolingrpoling Member Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in Chevrolet
I have a '97 Chevy Astro van, AWD, 80k miles. Recently, while accelerating uphill, the airflow stops coming out of the 4 upper air vents on the dash. This includes Vent and A/C. Air continues to flow from the lower vents as well as the defroster. The airflow returns to normal when I stop accelerating, or go downhill.

A friend told me that it is probably a vacuum leak. My question is.... how do I find and repair this leak?
Any ideas? Thanks!! Rick

Comments

• dpwestlakedpwestlake Member Posts: 207
    Volvo's do the same thing. they have a cut off on the AC. The same will happen if you accelerate hard on a level road. Check your manual.
  • 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    Whether the check valve at the brake booster is not working properly or you have a crack in one of the vacuum hoses is the question.
    One check, start the vehicle, let it run for a bit, then shut it down, wait a couple minutes, and pull the valve at the brake booster. You should hear a decent hiss from it. If you don't. the check valve is bad.

How does it idle?
    How are the brakes?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Yep, I'm with Opatience on this one...vacuum leak is closing the upper vents as vacuum drops (under engine load).
  • poisondartfrogpoisondartfrog Member Posts: 102
    Same problem happened recently on my '93 Pontiac Grand Prix. The hard plastic line to the vacuum (reserve) bottle broke. The a/c would switch to the floor during acceleration. It also prevented the fuel purge solenoid from working properly, too. My gas cap would hiss after shutting off the car... unnerving!
This discussion has been closed.