Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Silverado

Comments

• Options
    RichinKsRichinKs Member Posts: 412
    No, but if you figure it out post to the list please. I was hoping the owners manual might have diagrams. Also, have you asked the dealer for info? As I understand it, there are three connectors provided with the $25 trailer towing wiring option (UY2). Connectors are provided under the dash for a brake controller, one at the rear bumper for trailer towing and one under the bed for attaching a fifth wheel connector. This option eliminates the need to splice wiring. But whether or not you have this option, there should be some kind of wiring diagrams available. Rich
  • Options
    fish6fish6 Member Posts: 50
    Update on my order....if anybody cares.... I ordered my Black, x-cab, LS, 4.8, on Sept. 26th, was given a build date of the week of Nov. 30th. Delayed.......It was built on Monday, Dec. 21st and released to transport the same day. NOW WE"RE TALKING!!!!!!Anyone know if the transport company takes on extended Christmas break?????Should I get this truck in the next 12-15 days???????
  • Options
    dave40dave40 Member Posts: 582
    Depending on where you live
    you should have the truck with in 10 days I don't think the transporters take off to long for X-MAS compared to GM. What part of the country are you in ?
  • Options
    Fish6, I thought on the wheels.com assembly times site there was something about transporters would continue to work during the Christmas Shutdown. I was surprised to see the December data there as November didn't showup until December. Anyhow the bad news for me and Dave40, Silverado 2500 trucks are on hold until February 99. A number of other features on hold also. 3.42 axle cancelled for model year. By the way, Ford has annouced some 2000 model trucks availble for order now. Buick has annouced a 2000 model. What are the chances the Silverado 2000 models will be announced before I get my order allocated? Rich
  • Options
    Where did you here about delays and what were they
  • Options
    Dave40, go to www.wheels.com/fr_news.htm

They have some auto news plus production info from all the factories. Rich
  • Options
    fish6fish6 Member Posts: 50
    dave40--fish6 here---I live in Northern Minnesota---not too far from Detroit---I hope you are correct on the 10 days---I'M READY!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    hubbap1hubbap1 Member Posts: 19
    I talked to my dealer yesterday and he indicated that my 2500 had a build day of 12/21. Now I see the post that the 2500 series is delayed until Feb. Wonder what is right? Got my hopes up to have the truck in early Jan. By the way my order was placed on 9/18 (4x4, ext. cab, sb, LS, light pewter, +++) It will be a tough wait if it is March by the time this shows up!
  • Options
    FETZFETZ Member Posts: 51
    I was at my local Chevy dealer in Salem, Oregon the other day to work a deal on a 2500 LS 4X4. They don't have any on the lot - only 1500's, but said there were two they could procure within a week. They had exactly the options I wanted, the only problem was they were the short bed, I need the long bed.

OK, factory order time right?

Well, the paperwork they had on these trucks showed a price of $34,000! I had notes with me on dealer invoice pricing for the truck and options I want (from MS Carpoint pricer), which comes out to about $28,000. The salesman suddenly noticed this (before we even started haggling), and went to his manager. He came back and politely told me I might want to wait until the factory catches up and there is less demand for the truck, and they have a few in stock they might be willing to deal on. He frankly told me they wanted to deal from the MSRP up, not invoice up.

I noticed some of you were paying as little as $200 to $300 over invoice. You guys are lucky. My dealership seems to want $6,000 over invoice (MSRP plus a couple grand).

I'm going to try a few other dealerships out of town and see what kind of deal I might get. There's no way I'm willing to pay any more than $1,000 over invoice at best, hopefully less. Wish me luck!
  • Options
    FETZFETZ Member Posts: 51
    I test drove a '99 LS 1500 when it was 18 degrees out. No rattle from the center console.

It didn't have the power seat, so I can't comment on that. However, I have a '96 K2500 with the power seat that sometimes "pops" when I take off from a dead stop. I've grown used to it though. I've heard that is a common complaint.
  • Options
    Cookie1, I had a 94 full size Blazer with the power seat problem you mentioned. It was very annoying. Took it to my dealer and they had to get a part (only time I've ever had to take a vehicle in a second time to them). Took care of the problem. The truck had about 12K when it started and after 36K still had not reoccured. My 97 has not had the problem. ...... You indicate the dealer you took it to was not the one you bought it from. It should not make a difference I know, but I have never bought a vehicle from a dealer I did not expect to do my service work. What incentive is there for them? I know if I had an unresolved problem at my current dealer both the salesman and sales manager would be there to help me because I am a repeat customer every 2 to 3 years. But fortunaltely the service has been excellent. I do go to another dealer at trade time just to confirm the price is reasonable, so I guess I have been lucky on two counts. Just my opinion. Rich
  • Options
    jxyoungjxyoung Member Posts: 156
    Called the Chevy 800 # yesterday and was shocked to hear that my truck had been built the 17 of December and was given to the transport co. the 18th.

I ordered a Black, Z71 extended cab,
    sportside, leather and all on 10/5/98, preferenced on 10/12/98 and have been told the sportsides are still on hold as of 11/16/98? Chevy said to call back in three to four weeks.
    It was hard but I waited about 3 weeks and was floored when I heard the news. My truck was built in Oshwa Canada and I am not sure how they send these down? I have heard sometimes by rail or barge?? Where have your trucks been coming out of?
    Guess I will get mine between Christmas and New Years? For you guys waiting hang in there, all your enthusiasm will return when you get the word that your truck is on the way!

I will let you know when it comes in.
  • Options
    jmathewsjmathews Member Posts: 7
    The truck I ordered on July 1, 1998 was shipped on December 16. It is due at the dealer (Yuba City, CA) on December 30. Many trucks are shipped via rail. Your dealer can provide you with the number of the railcar on which your vehicle will be transported to your regional distribution center. With that number, check the following webside

http://my.uprr.com/pub/autos/

and print out the instructions to use Union Pacific's automated railcar locator system. It is a *.pdf file and requires the Acrobat software. I used it and discovered that my truck will arrive in Milpitas, CA at 1:01 am on December 29. My dealer is only 2 hours away so I will get the truck either the 29th or 30th. I'll give it a through test drive and let you all know how it performs--plenty of snow in the Sierra, no pun intended!
  • Options
    ApexEnv34ApexEnv34 Member Posts: 23
    I am thinking of getting a Silverado 1500 regular or ext. cab 4.8 base model with air and auto. But want to lease instead of buying this time. Have any of you leased one? Please tell me what kind of lease deals you got. I am aware dealers may have many of my truck on the lot so I may not have to order, but still want to get some sense of what can be a good lease deal. Thanks.
  • Options
    kent123kent123 Member Posts: 61
    My LT was released from Oshawa, Canada on 12/9 and arrived at the dealer in NE Texas on 12/18. I don't know if it came by rail or semi, but I figure that 11 days was pretty reasonable.

BTW, anyone out there who is debating about which engine to get on the Silverado should look hard at the 5.3 (327 C.I.D. based the the Corvette alum block). I don't yet have around town mileage figured on mine yet (still on first tank), but the performance is strong and smooth. If added cost is a factor, remember that you'll get most of it back on resale and the gas savings isn't significant IMHO. Also, (at least here in TX) it is much easier to sell a used full-size Chevy truck with a 350 than one with the V6.
  • Options
    kend1kend1 Member Posts: 10
    to jmatthews Looking forward to hearing how your truck works out especially with a couple of recent postings about power seats. I will be trying to work a deal in Yuba City in the near future. I know the GMC dealership provides good service, how were they to deal with as far as price? Did you compare them to the Yuba City Chevy dealer?
  • Options
    jmathewsjmathews Member Posts: 7
    kend1-

Dow Lewis GMC in Yuba City has been great to work with. I wish I could say the same for the rest of GM. This ordering process stinks. I don't know if I'll ever order another vehicle again. Nearly six months is much too long to wait for a vehicle, strike or not.

As far as the Chevy dealer, I spoke to them but I prefer the looks of the Sierra to the Silverado. Besides, Chevy the salesman I spoke with was full of bull and tried to tell me that the Sierra cost $1,000 more than the Silverado, same equipment. I quickly discovered that, thanks to the Internet, I knew more about these vehicles than the salesmen.

Advice: Know your invoice prices and work from there. $500 over invoice is reasonable.

Use Carpoint to calculate invoice prices

http://carpoint.msn.com/

I too am a little worried about the power seats. I'll just have to wait and see.

Good Luck
  • Options
    kend1kend1 Member Posts: 10
    jmatthews Thanks for the information. I've heard others say good things about Dow so I'll give them a try good luck with your truck, I've only seen a couple around town so yours will probably stand out.
  • Options
    I wonder if I can take those ugly fender flares off my Sierra without leaving a mark on the paint? I know I can take the screws out , But is there glue or tape on the flares that will mess up the paint ? any IDEAS !!
  • Options
    26andrew126andrew1 Member Posts: 93
    Hey Guys, remeber these are trucks you are buying.
    Yes they cost alot more then they used to, but supply and demand we the consumer drove the price up.
    TRUCKS make noise, some more then others but they still make noise. They are more plush inside but still TRUCKS. If you want a quite no noise ride, consider a car. Yea the trucks are more like cars on the inside but yet again they are still very much a TRUCK.(pet peave people complaining about there truck making a rattling or popping noise). Plenty of good cars out there.
    Yea Yea anyone who wants to jump all over me about this go ahead THEY ARE STILL TRUCKS. MEANT TO HAUL AND TOW.
  • Options
    Thanks anyway
  • Options
    gwvinson--I didn't know you could even order the med Oak Interior with the Pewter paint job. I would think those would not match. I opted for the light grey inside my Pewter LT and really like it.

26Andrew1- your point is well taken. However rattles and/or shakes due to poor fit and lack of QC should not have to be tolerated even in our heavy duty vehicles. Example, I have about 300 miles on mine so far (mostly city MPG about 14.5 w/ 5.3) and I noticed today what seems to be an out-of balance tire at about 70 mph. You can bet that I'll be at the dealer first thing Monday to get all 4 tires balanced.

Otherwise, I love THE TRUCK so far.
  • Options
    dodgeramdodgeram Member Posts: 202
    Just wanted to let you know that Dodge's new show truck the powerwagon has a 7.2l inline 6 from a company GM denied, CAT DIESEL!. THis engine produces 250hp, and 780lbs of torque. Why would GM give up CAT, I don't know, Mabye there trucks couln't handle all that power. SO they chose dodge, and this new motor will probably be in new redesigned ram in the coming few years. This new truck is going to crush the competition, GM's new izuzu diesel is probably going to have around 530lbs torque, no where near the CATS. I still can't beleve dodge and CAT are working together, too bad GM.
  • Options
    I take the new 5.3 or 6.0 corvette engine over a Stinky disel any day of the week!
  • Options
    DavyddDavydd Member Posts: 121
    I think the commercials use a light pewter metallic with medium oak. Anyway, I opted for the dark graphite with my pewter.
  • Options
    DavyddDavydd Member Posts: 121
    Seems we have a person amongst us that must continuously try to reinforce and justify his choice.
  • Options
    dodgeramdodgeram Member Posts: 202
    I am rumbbling loud and clear davydd. I guess gm's trucks couldn't handle all that power, so gm had to use the excuse that they would not buy enough cat diesel engines from them, but really the new gm trucks in testing just couldn't handle all that torque. So the only company that could handle it was naturally chosen. ie."DODGE"
  • Options
    WHO wants a stinky diesel anyway?
  • Options
    pharmaseapharmasea Member Posts: 25
    I am considering either of the two vehicles. I currently have a 1994 Z71 and love it but want something new. I do lots of boating with at least three people and was considering the crew cab due to full size doors. Or should I not care about those in the back and go for the Silverado.

Any comments are appreciated.

Jim
  • Options
    djmckeowndjmckeown Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 CK1500 Silverado. It's been a great truck and no problem with the power seats at 77,000 miles.
    I just ordered a 1999 1500 LT and with the 5300 Vortec. This by the way is a comparable 327 but the horsepower beats the current 350.
    For those who don't know it yet the GM option 1 plan has been extended to much more of the family than before. It now includes in-law and grandchildren. If you are eligible it gets you 6% off the dealer invoice.

Ordered mine December 16 and was told I'll have it in 9 weeks. My fingers are crossed but I'm only a 100 miles from the factory.
  • Options
    Pharmasea-
    Unless you are planning on pulling a large and heavy boat (bigger than your normal bass boat), the 5.3 will be plenty of engine. Also, the rear seat in the Silverado is larger than before and seats a couple of adults comfortably. I was tempted to go with a crew cab (either Ford SD or old model Chev), but I am glad I went with the Silverado.

Regarding the CAT diesel/Dodge debate, Mopar has typically been strong in the engine dept. The small block 8 in my '70 Challenger conv. was bulletproof. It's a shame that they can't build decent trucks around their good engines. Most of the newer Dodge truck owners I know had major troubles within the first 20K miles (mostly trans and front end).

I do hope that GM shows better sense in the diesel dept. than they have in the last several years. A GM/CAT combo would've been nice, but don't downplay the Isuzu; their larger diesels have a strong rep for long-term reliability.
  • Options
    cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    contrary to apparent belief, CAT backed out of the deal with Chevy, not the other way around. The only way CAT is going to put a motor in Dodge is if Dodge builds a truck designed so one of CAT's current motors can fit in it. CAT is an enormous world-wide company. They backed out of the deal with Chevy because they couldn't justify building a new factory, designing brand spanking new engine for only a couple hundred thousand motors a year, that if they sold for anymore than $5000-6000 for, wouldn't sell at all. they just would not get a big profit margin off the motor. Navistar and Cummins supply motors for the automotive segment, because their same motors are in HUNDREDS of other industrial applications. CAT just doesn't make anything small enough for a one ton pickup. The 3208 is about the smallest v8 they make, or the in-line-4 3116, which is in the Chevy Kodiaks, and both of those motors need a dead axle under 'em to support the weight. CAT would rather spend their time building motors they do now; that net them 300% profit.

dodge better buy a tranny from someone if they want to put an engine like that under the hood, cuz they've proven they can't build one themselves. even GM, the best American tranny builder, is getting Allison transmissions for their redesigned heavy duties. (for those who don't know the name, in industry (oil field, agriculture, marine, etc.) Allison is regarded as the best in the business.)
  • Options
    jerryb2jerryb2 Member Posts: 14
    I need to buy a silverado 1500,2WD. LS by the end of the year. I need someone to tell me what benefit the Z85 firm suspension or the ZX3 smooth ride suspension will give me. Will the truck sit off the ground more like a Z71?? I do some light towing, but do I need the Z82 Trailering Equipment or the G80 locking differential. I know I,m dumb about all the particulars of this equipment, but the sales guy has been less that knowledgable. Also, I drove the 4.8 and it felt very good power wise, but I am afraid of haveing an underpowered vehicle as time goes on. What do you think about the 4.8 vs 5,3??
  • Options
    the 5.3 is a bit more money, the mileage won't be much different than the 4.8, and the motor is much torque-ier. if you're at all afraid of underpowering, get the 5.3. what are you going to pull and how heavy?

someone posted earlier on the suspension packages...
  • Options
    Most of what your asking is personal preference.
    Z85 or ZX3 will give no difference in apperance. In your shoes I would go with the ZX3 but I am ordering the Z85 for harder towing and stability. My personal preference is the Z85 is not a harsh ride.......Z82 you do not need, but do you want it? I got it on my current Chevy. And am ordering it on my next. Might you tow something you hadn't planned on? ........ I would get the 5.3. It will really help resale, and mileage will be similar. And you will have some reserve. ...... I have always got a limited slip differential option since the mid-60's. I like them. Great in rough going or ice. ......... Again, just my opinion not necesarily fact. Rich
  • Options
    pharmaseapharmasea Member Posts: 25
    Well my boat is allittle bigger than a bass boat, boat and trailer about 6000lbs. (25' offshore boat). I have had no problems pulling it with my current Z71.

Since I do not do any off road riding, would the Z85 be a better choice over the Z71? I only use the 4x4 at the ramp while pulling out the boat.

One last question, any ideas on honest resale value of a 1994 Z71 with 82K miles?

Thnks again,

Jim
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ...Road Test: 1999 Chevrolet Silverado
    image.

Check it out and come back here to comment.

KarenS/Edmund's host
  • Options
    pharmasea
    i've read reports that the new Z71 package ride is harsher than the other packages.

you probably want the 5.3 for that size boat. it should pull a little better than your current 350. i'd get the 3.73 rear. (if you really want a demon, get the 3/4 ton with the 6.0) good luck.
  • Options
    Yes, I'd like one of those demon's. How do I get one? My dealer doesn't have any allocations and production has been delayed again to February. Oh woa is me (G). Glad my old truck is still running. Rich
  • Options
    A.R.E inc has some nice pictures of a 99 Sierra sportside with all kinds of extras on it. Check out there web page A.R.E inc
  • Options
    Anyboy put any new wheels on your new Silverados?
    I heard they have a different offset then the C/Ks. New bolt patterens too!
  • Options
    IMHO, go with the 5.3 (a great engine destined to be the most popular at resale time) and the standard suspension.

The changes to frame construction on the new Chevy resulted in a rather stiff frame which doesn't need added stiffness from the suspension nearly as much as the old models did. In fact, I had a chat today with the local Chevy service mgr. and he said that the most frequent complaint he has received about the new model is that the ride (with std. suspension) is not as smooth as the old model (which had a lot of frame flex).

I opted for the G80 (the poor man's 4WD) on my LT for two reasons. Most of my trailering is either a small boat or jet ski. Often boat ramps (or suitable unpaved shorelines) are slippery and posi can be a great help. Also, I most often drive my truck empty with one passenger, which results in a light back end. It's nice to have two active drive wheels working for you when trying to apply those 270 horses from the 5.3 to the pavement. Besides, the extra cost for the G80 is only about $220 (invoice), making it a no-brainer economic decision.

I read the excellent review in Edmunds. Funny, one of the few complaints I have about my Silverado (besides an out-of-balance tire that is worst at 65-70 mph) is the same that Edmund's noticed about flashing the brights by accident when engaging the right turn signal. It takes a conscious effort NOT to do it. Does anyone know if there is a fix for this?
  • Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    I agree the review was excellent, but the outcome was surprisingly critical. While I have on order a regular cab L.S. 4x4 model, in looking at the dash layout on the older '98 model I find it actually makes the interior appear more spacious than the '99 dash. I think the complaint about cheap interior materials is valid. Chevy doesn't offer leather on regular cab models, but I know an automotive upholsterer that will cover the cloth seat in leather for $895. The medium oak interior is a personal preference. A salesman at the dealer remarked that one of his customers complained that he felt like he was surrounded by peanut butter. I laughed, but still prefer the brown contrast against the black gauges. To me, the best interior would still be the Dodge Ram with camel/tan leather powered seat, and the rosewood applique. Chevy could take another cue from Dodge and put the radio controls on the steering wheel. But I am completely sold on the Silverado plush ride, quiet interior and fuel economy.
  • Options
    davek3davek3 Member Posts: 31
    Ok guys--I cant stand it any longer!!! going to order a silverado 2500 ext cab long bed...anyone in the pittsburgh area do this yet?? any suggestions on a dealer who will deal around the invoice price??(in pittsburgh area) going to try Kenny Ross chevrolet tonight..
  • Options
    mjd1205mjd1205 Member Posts: 1
    I live in the Detroit area and I have heard a RUMOR about some problems with the new hydroformed frames. Has anyone heard about a problem with these frame?
  • Options
    I've heard the rumor but thats all I know it is at this point. Did see on wheels.com that production of the 3/4 tons has been delayed AGAIN till february. Submitted an E-mail question to Chevy last night expressing my frustration at the delay after delay and asked when are they REALLY going to start production. Last May I first asked my dealer about ordering a 3/4 ton and he thought they would have some in in September for me to see. Since then its been a delay of some kind one after another. Rich
  • Options
    Got a reply from Chevrolet about 3/4 ton production. They confirm production will start in February (Note: I did not say the start of February). Told me to check back at the end of January for the latest info. Rich
  • Options
    Wheels inc Industry News has posted 2500 Silverados on hold till February ! They don't mention Sierras. Could mine be coming for my January 4th build date? :)
    or :(
  • Options
    davek3-

If you go to the Kenny Ross Chevrolet on Rt. 30, ask for a sales rep named Ray "Tiger" Henstock. Tell him that the judge from Texas who grew up next door to him sent you.

BTW, why are you requiring the 2500? I love my Silverado LT, but if, for some reason, I NEEDED a 3/4 ton, I would look hard at the Ford SD Crew Cab.
  • Options
    duffieduffie Member Posts: 2
    What is the availability of a Silverado standard cab with a sportside box? If is not yet available does anyone have any info on when it will be? I was told by a local dealer that production has not begun yet.
This discussion has been closed.