Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Silverado

Comments

• Options
    RichinKsRichinKs Member Posts: 412
    You asked why someone would choose the chevy 3/4 ton over the Ford SD. I looked at them. My wife and I were so turned off we didn't even go for a test drive. The interior looks so plain, the back seat looks like an afterthought in the supercab. I sat in it and swear it had less room than my 97 chevy xtended cab and uncompfortable. Also, the salesman would not confirm Ford has a lowering kit for the 4x4. He said it was for the one ton only. It won't fit in my garage as is. But anyhow we all look for different things. Many folks swear the Ford SD is the best but I'm saying its not a sure thing for all. Rich
  • Options
    Also, a number of folks have had trouble with the SD fitting up to a fifth wheel without a lowering kit. ...... How do you like your LT? I saw one (only one) at a dealer. It is nice. Drove a Z71 5.3 with the 4.10 rearend and it could probably pull my 5th wheel no sweat, but I'd still be overloaded by Chevy's ratings. I am hoping for a 2500 4x4 w/4.10 and LT. Rich
  • Options
    davek3davek3 Member Posts: 31
    well I ordered the 2500 longbed LS got it for 500 over invoice thought this was a good deal..they are guessing a march or april delivery date..looking into going into suspended animation till then...( i hate waiting!! lol) i'll keep everyone posted... oh i drove a 1500 ls with the 5.3 engine while there..Z71 boy was it quiet!! and had lots of pep.. in the tow haul mode im sure if i "got on. it" i would have barked the tires but truck only had 2.2 miles on it so i didn't want to beat on it...
  • Options
    candreascandreas Member Posts: 3
    I'm wanting to factory order a 99 GMC Sierra (SLT extended cab, short box) but am having a bit of trouble deciding what suspension package to go for. I _want_ to have the ZX3 ride control suspension which apparently will finally go into production next January. My local dealer strongly recommends I go with the Z85 instead because of the likely lengthly delay ordering the ZX3 will cause (they estimate June delivery instead of April!). Something about massive backorders for this option and the fact that almost all units will go the U.S. rather than Canada (where I am).
    If I have to wait that long, I'm going to wait for the 2000 year models with 4 doors!!

Also, what are the advantages/disadvantages of the 3.73 vs. 4.10 rear axle ratio? I plan on eventually pulling a mid-size trailer with this truck but that's not my primary concern. What kind of fuel mileage hit would a 4.10 cause?
  • Options
    26andrew126andrew1 Member Posts: 93
    For those who care.
    The dealership has gotten and still is slowly getting 3/4 ton trucks in. Do not know of any delays although they may be true???????
  • Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    The 4.10 is going to feel 10% torque-ier. The engine is going to turn 170 more rpm at 60 mph in top gear. Your trailer tow rating goes up by 500 lbs. Your fuel mileage drops a maximum of about 1 or 2 mpg on the highway when empty, maybe not at all when loaded or towing. About the same fuel mileage in town with either. On the 4.10, transmission shift points are closer together. Top speed is unaffected since all models are electronically governed. The 4.10 will get you off the line quicker, run out of steam a little sooner, but the LS1 revs out nicely with it. What I would advise is this. Take a pencil to paper and figure up your payload and towing needs. Use the information on trailering in the Silverado big brochure. Get it right, in the beginning, which axle ratio it is you want because it is much harder to change out axle gears today because the powertrain control module, traction control, electronic speedometer, anti-lock brakes all work from speed sensors on the drive shaft and differential carrier. You change one variable, even change tire sizes, and your speedometer isn't reading right, your auto transmission shift points are not right, your anti lock brakes feature is compromised. Don't think about changing tires from P245's to P265's. The P265's are taller. If it's already too late, then Hypertech may help with a programmer that reprograms your powertrain control module to accommodate your speedometer, transmission shift points, or non-stock tire sizes. For me, I ordered the LS Reg Cab LWB 4x4 5.3L with 4.10 and P265 tires and locking axle, Z85 suspension, Z82 trailering. One week has gone by. Already I'm tapping my feet. Where is it?
  • Options
    cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    i believe Chevy can reprogram your chip for you, your service manager should be able to send in your specs (rearend, tire size, whateverelse), and they'd send you a new chip. for a cost of course. my dealer told me he's done that for several people putting 31 X 10.50 on 1/2 ton trucks.
  • Options
    shoozshooz Member Posts: 27
    Quadrunner500: Sounds like you know what you're talking about.
    I've a Sierra LT Xcab 2wd with a GU6 rear axle, 3.42 ratio and the Z82 trailering package on order with a build date of Jan 11.
    Although as of right now I don't intend to tow, it seem a vehicle like this ought to be able to do so in the future.
    Now I'm having some doubts about not having ordered the G80 lock. axle, which was restricted at the time of the order: Under what circumstances do you think I'll wish I had ordered the locking axle?
    (I wonder if I can even change the order this late in the game without causing additional delays!)
  • Options
    The G80 lock is really a limited slip differential. If you keep the same gear ratio, you can have your dealer change out the carrier, and replace it with an original equipment Auburn limited slip carrier, probably for about $650 parts and labor. Your ring gear from the old carrier gets re-used with the new one. No reprogramming of the powertrain control module is required. Is is worth it? It will provide limited effectiveness under certain circumstances, like pulling a boat out of water on a slippery boat ramp, or on ice, or mud. The additional benefit over a regular type is marginal, but sometimes it's that little bit that could make a difference.
  • Options
    34363436 Member Posts: 25
    Got my new GMC today I've only got 47 miles on it , on snow covered roads. The autotrac works nice as does the anti-lock brakes.
  • Options
    dave40dave40 Member Posts: 582
    Did your Truck come yet?
  • Options
    fish6fish6 Member Posts: 50
    dave40---Fish here---I was at my dealership on Monday. He called the transport company when I was sitting there, and they said it was in transport. His information says that it has to be at his dealership by the 4th of January. It could be earlier....tomorrow???Saturday??? So, I should be able to put some miles on it either Monday or Tuesday. I'm Ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    jxyoungjxyoung Member Posts: 156
    Anyone know more deatils about this situation?

I guess Chevy has started building Sportsides as mine is and is on the way!
  • Options
    Talked to the dealership today and was told that the transport company has a delivery expiration date but they have like a 10 day grace period after that? The dealer said the expiration date on my truck is 12/30 and they have 10 days after that before they incur penalties?
    Chevy said my truck was built 12/17
    given to transport on 12/18.
    Still no truck.
  • Options
    renonevadarenonevada Member Posts: 69
    I have several questions about the new 1999 Silverado:
    1) Why does the 3/4-ton 2500 weigh approx. 1250 pounds more than the 1/2-ton 1500? Is it because of the 'beefier' suspension?
    2) Are the new aluminum head V8 engines as reliable as the old castiron head 5.7 liter (350 ci) V8 currently produced? Everyone whom I know as reliable (mechanics, mechanical engineers, etc.) recommend to stay away from aluminum head engines because of aluminum warped heads.
    3) Suspensions: Is it possible to get the Z71 46mm shocks on a 2WD truck or must I settle for the 36mm shocks? Why doesn't GM offer the Bilstein shocks for pickup trucks as they do for the big SUV's?

I have never owned a GM product before but I am seriously considering a new truck. My brother has worked for GM for 35 years so I can get his Option 1 discount. Don't ask me why I've have never used his discount before. I went with Toyotas that were commonly reliable with 300,000 miles on each one I had (I keep vehicles for a long time). I hope that I can get similar reliability from a truck like this. Thanks.
  • Options
    davek3davek3 Member Posts: 31
    hi renonevada..
    i am in no way an expert on this but the 3/4 tons have a different front suspention set up than the 1500's different steering too .. the 1500's have rack and pinion the 2500's have the recirculating ball type for more durability And the vortec 6.0 engine DOES have iron heads on it for more durability.. these differences between the 2 are my guess where a lot of the weight comes from..In the tests i have read from various sources-- mags ect.. this makes less than a half second time difference in the quarter mile times... i have ordered a 2500 excab long bed can't wait...
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    #0 of 1: jerryb2 (jerryb2) Wed 30 Dec '98 (08:57 PM)

Started to order but heard a rumor about Chevy
    having problems with the new frame. Is it true??
    should I delay my effort to order?
  • Options
    mwinter1mwinter1 Member Posts: 40
    I am looking at ordering a LS Silverado, but I'm having trouble choosing between the standard engine (4.3) and the 4.8 v-8 engine. I won't be doing any trailering that I can think of. Is the 4.8 worth the extra $500+ dollars?
  • Options
    markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    mwinter1 - I have driven both, the 4.8 is definately peppier. The 4.8 is a spinner, likes higher RPM's so get a higher numerical axle if you go that way. The 4.3 has been around a long time, is basically the old 350 v8 with two cylinders chopped off. Chevy has sold a ton of them.
    I ordered the 4.8.....
  • Options
    pharmaseapharmasea Member Posts: 25
    I don;t think the Silverado LS is available with the 4.3. I only thought it came with 4.8 and optional 5.3. If I wrong, please correct me.

Jim
  • Options
    gwvinsongwvinson Member Posts: 27
    The 1500 LS comes standard with the 4.3 L V6, optional engines are the 4.8L and the 5.3L V8's.

Gregg
  • Options
    FETZFETZ Member Posts: 51
    renonevada (#123):

The 3/4 ton trucks are heavier than the half tons mainly because the frame, axles, springs, and other suspension components are beefier.

Also, in the case of the 6.0 liter, it has iron heads, which add to the weight over the aluminum heads of the other engine choices.

I imagine the new aluminum heads on the 4.8 and 5.3 engines would be reliable enough as long as you never let the engine overheat. That's when alumninum heads warp.

I don't have an answer for your shock question.

FETZ
  • Options
    FETZFETZ Member Posts: 51
    renonevada (#123):

An afterthought on the shock question:

I suppose you could always buy the stiffer shocks as an aftermarket item and install them yourself. It would not affect your truck's warranty.
  • Options
    pharmaseapharmasea Member Posts: 25
    I stand corrected. I was only looking at the Silverado Extended Cab and not the regular cab. Regular cab is available with the 4.3
  • Options
    I had to search for this site. Pretty good looking new Sportside pictures.
    http://www.4are.com/project.htm
  • Options
    26andrew126andrew1 Member Posts: 93
    renonevada

you find aluminum heads in almost everything now,even toyota's(which we own a few). they do not take well to being overheated. But GM has a new emergency cooling system if you run the coolant dry. Read the edmund's test drive report they talk about it. Aluminum is good.
  • Options
    Anybody notice if the new 2500s sit any higher then the 1500s ? Anybody drive the vortec 6000 ?
  • Options
    I considered the 2500, but saw somewhere that on a 2wd model, fuel mileage was 12/15. That is about 3mpg down on the 1/2 ton 5.3L. I think what it points out, as far as fuel economy is concerned, that the aluminum head dissipates heat faster, allows for more spark advance, hence more complete combustion. I took this into account in deciding I would get marginally better payload and towing by getting a 5.3L regular cab, the 4.10 locking axle and use it empty more than it is loaded.
  • Options
    Looked up some specs on Carpoint as several questions have been on this list lately. For a 4x4 extended cab shortbed auto trans. found 2500 to weigh 5270 vs 4657 for the 1500. I think someone had said there was 1500 pound difference, but Carpoint shows about 600 pounds for this particular model. ...... On height, 2500 is 74.4 vs 73.9 for the 1500. ....... But for ground clearance the 2500 is 7.8 vs 8.5 for the 1500. I can only guess this is because the 2500 has a larger differential? Anybody else looked this up to confirm I read this right?......... Rich
  • Options
    If you subtract Payload from GVWR, you should have curb weight. On the 2500 vs 1500, the difference should be about 864 lbs for the 4x4 and 531 lbs for the 2wd. I believe the ride height should be about the same, since you can't order the P265 tires on the 3/4 ton. What you get in the 2500 package is for the most part just stiffer springs, heavier axles, and iron heads. What you give up is the 1/2 ton smooth ride, and fuel economy, since it's about 3 mpg worse on the iron head 6.0L, exactly the most compelling reasons for choosing Silerado over Ford and Dodge in the first place. By the way, in the Motor Trend Truck of the Year report, the 1/2 ton 5.3L had faster acceleration than the 6.0L in both 0 to 60 mph and in the quarter mile elapsed time, and also trap speed. The 4.8L with 5 spd manual should just about equal the 5.3L times with auto.
  • Options
    wesley1wesley1 Member Posts: 17
    Has anyone found the turning radius for the '99s? I'm wondering what the difference is between the extended cab short and long bed.. Use to be the 3/4 tons didn't turn as sharp as the 1/2s how about now?
  • Options
    Quadrunner, are you saying the weights, ground clearance and height are wrong in Carpoint? And which 4x4 and which 2wd models are you comparing since the different body styles have different weights. .... So I take it you wouldn't pick the 3/4 ton silverado over Ford or Dodge, why not? ... Rich
  • Options
    I drove the 5.3 seems like it has to rev to high all the time ,Maybe the extra 30 hp on the 6.0 will cure this slight inconvenice.
  • Options
    kent123kent123 Member Posts: 61
    Dave40- What are you talking about? I've had my Silverado LT with the 5.3 for about 2 weeks now and have noticed no high revving before shifting whatsoever. IMHO, unless you have heavy towing requirements or just want to be able to brag about an extra 30 horses (and more frequent fill-ups), the 5.3 is definitely the way to go.
  • Options
    tombatomba Member Posts: 8
    My dealer told me that I wouldn't get an order number until my truck was preferenced. Since I ordered Oct 25, I haven't been able to get any info. Is this guy right about this??
  • Options
    No, I'm not saying Carpoint is wrong, just that I worked from the specifications on p.22 and p.48 of the Silverado brochure for payload and towing. I believe your earlier post referred to extended cab models, that's what I compared. I would still probably prefer 3/4 ton Silverado over Ford based on brand loyalty, but not based on superiority. If I really needed the payload, the SuperDuty and Ram 3/4 tons with V10's or turbo diesels have tow ratings above 14000 lbs, the 3/4 ton Chevys/Jimmys just aren't in that league yet. So when I added up what I actually wanted to haul, and the economics of diesel, I didn't need the heaviest payload or towing capabilities of the SuperDuty or Ram. But it was close between the 1500 or the 2500 Silverado. I compromised a bit to maintain comfort and economy. I skipped the extended cab in favor of more payload, towing, fuel capacity and economy from the 1/2 ton regular cab model. I selected the 1500 LS 4x4 5.3L with 4.10 locking axle and Z85 heavy duty suspension.
  • Options
    Dave40, I drove a 5.3 Z71 with auto and 4.10 rearend and I didn't notice the high rev's. Only drove about 20 minutes on street and interstate. But it had alot more zip than my 97 350. Course it had a lower rearend which was much of it. I was checking rpm in third at 65 for towing and punched it, it had some snap! But I am hoping for at least as good with the 6.0 .... Quadrunner, the Chevy fits me pretty well for what I need. I pull a 9000 pound 5th wheel which is a little overload for my 97 1/2 ton or a 99 1/2 ton. In fact I need the 4.10 to make the rating. Course I think Chevy is conservative, but I want to be safe also. .... I did test drive a Dodge V10. It was a used 97 as the dealer didn't have a new one in stock. I was disappointed. It had no more get up and go than my 350. ..... The Ford Dealer told me the lowering kit is only available for the 1 ton 4x4 and not the 3/4 4x4 which does not make sense as they are the same height. But the SD is too high to go in my garage or fit up to my 5th wheel. Many people are complaining about that. Plus the back seat is rather poor in the Ford or Dodge. Hard as a brick and in the Ford seemed like an afterthought. So anyhow here I am trying to get a Chevy. Kind of disappointing though with delivery. May have to wait for the 2000's if I get delayed past April 1.
  • Options
    Rich, if I had to pull a 9000 lb fifth wheel regularly, there's no question that I would not consider anything below the 2500. But, that also would have been the excuse I needed to justify a Ram quad cab 2500 4x4 with 24V Cummins. I have preferred the SLT interior, and leather covered power split bench, and the sport package exterior. But these vehicles, while rough riding, are ideally suited for long distance, heavy duty, high altitude and mountain passes. I only have to pull a 4000 lb trailer, or a 2000 lb payload, and not usually at the same time, but up a steep mountain pass. So the 5.3L Silverado with its plush ride, abundant power and best in class fuel economy won me over, certainly not its trim level. If I had bought the Ram or Superduty, I wonder how long I could tolerate the kicking, numb steering of a front live axle? But towing a fifth wheel, getting 20 mpg, and going 500-600 miles before it is necessary to re-fuel would be a compelling reason for the Cummins if I were pulling your load.
  • Options
    I have a friend with the Cummings Dodge. In fact its his second one. He has a bigger 5th wheel than I. He had the first one souped up and plans to do the second after he gets 5000 miles on it. I like the sound and power, but just cann't justify the cost since I won't keep it more than 2-3 years, 36-42K miles. And I think the noise would get to me after a while. I am disappointed in Chevy's small 27 gal tank compared to Ford and Dodge who are both around 35. That makes a difference when your getting 9 miles per Gal. But my Kidney's don't alow me to drive more than 2 hours at a go anymore especially when I drink too much coffee (G). But there were two times this summer I wanted to stop, the truck wanted to stop, but no gas station in sight! Fortunately, theres still quite abit of gas left when it says empty. ...... I also need 4x4 to get to my cabin in the outback on a hilly dirt road. Need the ground clearance more than the 4x4 but if it rains need that too. Tried to convince my wife to keep our 97 Z71 for the cabin and get this new truck just for towing and sell her Camero, but no luck.
  • Options
    When I looked at the clearance of the front differential on the Ram Cummins, it was only about 6 inches. Almost every other point of the undercarriage was much higher. But with the solid axle, it is never less than 6 inches either, since the differential is un-sprung. On the Silverado, you start out with more ground clearance, but if you compress the shocks, the amount decreases. That makes comparing undercarriage specifications nearly meaningless if you don't also consider other elements like wheelbase, and the nature of the terrain itself. Make sure you get skid plates on the Silverado.
  • Options
    Here's my virtual order:
    K25753 Ext Cab SWB 4WD LT
    E63 Fleetside
    Z85 Firm Ride
    C6P 8600 GVWR
    LQ4 6.0L
    MT1 HD auto w/ Aux Trans cooler
    G80 Locking Diff
    GT5 4.10 axle
    1SC Prefered Equip
    QIZ LT245 All-Season SBR BSW
    A95 High Back Bucket seats w/heater
    ZY1 Solid paint
    NZZ Skid Plate package
    Z82 HD trailering Package
    UY2 Camper and 5th wheel wiring

I don't drive like a mad man when on bad roads, but still there are times you got to give it a little gas. Last spring I was pulling a utility trailer and had to take a different road I hadn't been on in a while. Narrow couldn't turn around and ran into water on the road for about 80 feet. Didn't have much choice but to gun it and go. The trailer was dragging on high spots but the ol Chevy made it. But without skid plates you can never be sure in a case like this whats under the water. Especailly when the roads are only graded once a year at best. ..... Rich
  • Options
    cjm3cjm3 Member Posts: 1
    Went down to dealership 1/2/99 bought S10 at below invoice,1998 model.will wait till GM pulls head out of you know where,to order my Silverado.I heard at a dealership (CO)that GM has a V10- 500ft/lb ready for yr 2000 has anybody heard about this? For Silverado
  • Options
    That is a hoss alright, with 10,000 lbs towing, 3115 payload, but you will be making some fuel stops along the way. By the way, the Ram extended cab only holds 25 or 26 gallons, just like Ford and Chevy/GMC.
  • Options
    My S10 Blazer 4.3L just turned 102,000 proud miles with no engine, tranny or rust problems. I did replace the clutch and water pump. But it still has strong power. Have not heard the rumor about the V10 gas motor, only that a medium duty diesel from Izuzu is going to replace the GM designed Detroit diesel. But in what truck model? Doesn't look like there is room to me under the Silverado hood. C/K's are still available with diesels I think.
  • Options
    I too had heard Chevy had a big gas engine in the works. It was some months ago. I had also heard that Chevy was coming out with a Super Duty size truck in a couple of years. But Its all pretty vague. Only the big diesel has been announced and I'm not sure when it is to be available. Heard sometime 1999 but also that a plant was being built to build them. It would make sense if this was a new design deisel it would take some time to get it out. Rich
  • Options
    hubbap1hubbap1 Member Posts: 19
    Drove a Vortec 6000 today! It was a regular cab, long box, LS. Compared to my past test of the 5.3, ext. cab, short box, I'd say it was not as quick off the line, but sure had a lot of power when I asked for it at 55mph - it took off!

I wish I had my specs for the truck in front of me, but earlier posts seem confusing. I think the 2500 has a 10" clearance vs. 8" for the 1500 (recall from the motortrend article).

The 2500 was definately more of a step up to get in and I think the height spec puts its about 2.5" taller than the 1500.

Another note on my test drive today in the 2500. I took it in a snowed covered parking lot and checked out the autotrac and anti-lock brakes. Both performed very well.

I have renewed my aching pain to get my 2500. Ordered back on Oct. 18th (was supposed to have a Dec. 21 build date) Final note for 2500 folks - the dealer I was at today (north central Wisconsin) is getting two, 2500, ext. cab, short boxes in Mid-Feb. I hope they are right and they finally start kicking these things out.
  • Options
    Did that Vortec 6000 have the 373 or 410 rear ? Was it 4 wheel drive ? Limited slip ? AutoTrac ?
  • Options
    hubbap1hubbap1 Member Posts: 19
    Dave40. Sorry I could have added a few more of the specs in my post. It had 373, locking diff, autotrac, 4WD. (The same as my order).

I tried in in the snowy lot in 2wd and in autotrac 4wd. Definate slip in 2wd, but not too bad due to the locking diff. In 4wd it took off with no slip unless I punched it.
  • Options
    rmumfordrmumford Member Posts: 10
    Don't get me wrong, I like my 99 silverado:

4.8 v8, auto, 3.73, extended cab, ls with bucket seats,

BUT, I was wondering if anyone else had any problems besides me. When I bought mine, it had a slight thumping noise in the right front brake, that we though might just be a rust or rough spot on the rotor. (yah I know, stoopid on my part) When it didn't go away after a few weeks, I took it back in. They wound up replacing the front rotors, and a damaged lug bolt. At the same time they replaced the rear rotors due to a factory advisory. Now the brakes feel great with no problems. BUT now since its finally gotten cold down here in Tn, my auto trans has "thumped" twice now starting off, once when cold, once when a bit warmer. Almost like it slips a bit, then catches. Anyone else having xmission thumps? Is this related to the cold (20 - 30 f in the morings) or is it something to worry about.

thanks,

rm
  • Options
    rmumfordrmumford Member Posts: 10
    oops forgot to mention that on my first tank, I got 18.7 mpg around town, since then (now on fourth or fifth tank) I can't seem to get above 16 mpg, same kind of driving. Anyone else?

thanks,

rm
This discussion has been closed.