Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Rendezvous Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    snuzonesnuzone Member Posts: 2
    Hello Again -

GM called my husband on Monday afternoon and told him that GM would replace the tank and hose at no cost to us which is terrific news since our warranty ran out. BUT - does this mean there is a potential problem with the set up of the gas tanks on the RDVs?

43,000 -
    Four new tires
    New gas tank/hose
    New CD/Cassette stereo

I guess I should knock on wood at this point. Though I do have a volume button with the chipped paint.

I do feel that if you have the option to purchase extended warrant - DO IT. I wish we did.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    "my tires are showing a bizzare wear pattern on the rear only. The inside tread is bumpy. There is good tread but with high and low spots on both tires."

I assume you've been rotating your tires in the modified-X pattern in the owners manual. Out-of-warranty means you've got 36,000 mi that would be 5 times they've been rotated and rebalanced so far...???

What brand tires are they?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    moosiemoosie Member Posts: 15
    My 2002 CXL has developed a rust problem on the seam that is above the tailgate opening. It is along the entire seam. Either they didn't put clear caulk in the seam when it was built or it was poorly painted. Either way, maybe you should check yours. Mine is one year and one month old.
  • Options
    lesbartlesbart Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 Rendezvous has about 6000 miles and the "clean tapecassette" message is coming up.

The manual says to pop in a cleaning cassette, which I did, and to hold down the cassette eject button to clear the message. No matter what I do the message won't clear. I push the button for 5 seconds (as the manual says) the cassette ejects and next time I plug in the cassette I get the same message. I tried holding the button as I plugged in the cassette, holding the button with no cassette and just about every other combo you could think of. The funny part is that the "cassette" I'm using is connected to my iPod so the player isn't even playing I tape.

Any help before I have to (shudder) bring it in for servicing?

Thanks
  • Options
    snuzone66snuzone66 Member Posts: 6
    I had my tires rotated every other oil change in the x-pattern. I still feel they should have lasted longer than 43,000 (which mileage is not even accurate because tires were "gone" before I had them changed - possibly more like 39,000 miles). The original tires were Firestone. For my replacement tires I purchased the Uniroyal Tiger Paw (Michelin). I've had this particular brand and model on my previous Buick and my husband has the same tire on his Chevy P/U truck. We been very happy with these tires and they have a 70,000 mile warranty!
  • Options
    kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    snuzone66 are you implying that Uniroyal Tiger Paw tires and Michelin tires are one and the same?
    ~Ken
  • Options
    I believe Uniroyal is owned by Michelin.

But they're not the same tire.
    That's like saying Kia is the same as Buick

• Options
    olrdvolrdv Member Posts: 53
    Kia is NOT owned by GM, but as a good example you can used the following:

Chrysler and Mercedes are one and the same.

Wishful thinking!!!
  • Options
    Which company does GM have ownership in? if not Kia...

• Options
    rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    Daewoo...the '04 Chevy Aveo is a Daewoo-based product.
  • Options
    netnerdnetnerd Member Posts: 118
    Not sure if this is really a problem, but I am looking for a solution.

I just got an iPod (a portable music player made by Apple Computer) and want to use it in my '02 CXL. I have the 6 disc changer, so no tape player to use the tape adapter in. I have considered buying an FM modulator that plugs into the iPod's headphone jack and then sends the signal over an unused FM frequency to be played through the Rondy's stereo, but have heard enough mixed reports of their success, that I am considering another option. It's possible to buy an adapter of sorts that plugs into the antenna wire "inline" and allows you to then tune into the iPod using the radio, but with much better reception.

Frankly, that's about all I know about the inline adapter, but my real question is this: Does anyone know where the antenna line is in the RDV and whether or not it is hard to get to? Does it require removing much of the dash or anything to get to it?

Any other thoughts on how to use the iPod in my RDV?

THanks....Doug
  • Options
    buickbatteredbuickbattered Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 with 40,000. Took it in for the recall on the rear latch. Had them to check the engine light to see what it was. They called back later and said it was very serious that my wiring harness (waterproof) plugs were corroded and needed replaced. I have an extended warranty bumper to bumper that lists wiring harness, but guess what? They claim it is not covered if there is moisture present! GM said the garage told them the plug showed no signs of defect and they could not repair under warranty. A two year old waterproof connector in the wiring harness that is corroded from moisture sure seems like a defect to me!My taillights also have water standing in them, but I was told GM was not having a problem with that either. Has anyone experienced similar problems? This is my last GM vehicle. I will go with an overseas model with the longer warranties next time.

Buickbattered in Ohio
  • Options
    gpantelgpantel Member Posts: 2
    Mesacakes, what did GM or your dealer do about your hesitation/delay problem. I'm afraid that I have the same problem.
  • Options
    rewindingrewinding Member Posts: 11
    I had my BCM replaced under warranty, now I think it may need to be replaced again out of warranty.

My vous sometimes will not start unless you leave the key in the ignition for a few seconds and then the service engine soon comes on. When you turn the car off, the radio comes on (even if you left it off) for about 5 seconds.

Also my rear view mirror fell off (no big deal to glue it back on.)
  • Options
    chuck111chuck111 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I'm new here. Bought a 2003 leftover less than a month ago. Has anyone had a problem with their windshield wipers? It seems like the blades on mine don't oscillate so on the way up, they ride smooth, but on the way down, they catch the windshield and hop their way down. If I use the washer, they seem to be better so I figure the upswing takes the rain off, but being dry on the downswing, they catch the glass. I'm not a brain surgeon, but if I can figure this out, can't the GM guys? I think what's needed is a blade that completely oscillates in a flatter angle. Is there something like that or has anyone ever bought this in for service. I'm gonna mention it when I go in for my first oil change. Thanks for any advise. BTW, this forum is scaring the hell out of me.

Chuck
  • Options
    nidgenidge Member Posts: 18
    I also have a new 2003 RDV. It now has about 7,000 miles and no problems---yet. Knock on wood. I used my wiper once or twice but never noticed anything unusual. The thing that I cannot stand is the lousy horn.Can't even find it yet. When I do , it's history.Regarding all other messages. Hope it's only a few that are having problems. It is scary to see some of the notes.
    Nidge
  • Options
    melsnymelsny Member Posts: 35
    I reported a while back that I replaced all three blades on my Rendezvous with Trico TEFLON blades. They wipe beautifully with absolutely no skipping. Well worth the price. I recommend them.
  • Options
    On the outside of the windshield try removing the road scum from the windshield. One way is to use SOS pads. When the windshield is wet lightly go over the whole windshield with the pad in circular motions. You'll feel the drag from the crud on the windshield at first. Then when you go back over certain areas, the pad slides easily.

Lightly go along the rubber of the wipe blade also.

Works for my cars.

• Options
    chuck111chuck111 Member Posts: 2
    I hope that I don't have to buy new blades after owning the car for less than a month now. If that's the only solution, I will, but first will try the service dept. As far as the windshield is concerned, it's as clean as a whistle. I'm just afraid that all the hopping will eventually hurt the motor. Not to mention the annoyance of the chatter. Melsny did you have a problem from the start and replacing solved? If so, I might consider that to save leaving it for the day. Thanks, Chuck.
  • Options
    kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    Every once in awhile I have a problem with the rear wiper skipping like you mentioned. I found that squirting some WD40 on the wiper arm base and joint gets rid of the skipping. May sound silly but it worked every time for me. Never had a problem with the front wipers so it may be another problem all together. Might be worth a try and certainly would be cheaper than buying new blades.

~Ken
  • Options
    nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    chuck111 - you mentioned you bought a left 2003 leftover which may have been standing in the lot for a long time. Rubber on the wipers will deterioate over time depending on the kind of exposure. I usually replace my front set every 6-8 months (usually when the rubber starts skipping).

Even tires may soon start having a "sell by" date soon. They will deterioate over time even with low mileage.
  • Options
    melsnymelsny Member Posts: 35
    I had problems with wipers chattering from early in the life of the vehicle. It's not unique. I've had that problem with other cars as well. I never leave the same blades on the car for the winter. I buy trico winter blades and put the regular ones in the garage for the winter. The winter blades have a softer rubber composition and no exposed metal. Ice won't accumulate on parts of the blade and wiping is good. You can't leave them on the car in the summer because heat will deteriorate the softer rubber. It's really not an expensive proposition because the rotation makes your blades last twice as long.

I now use the new Trico teflon blades for the rest of the year and they're wonderful.
  • Options
    rewindingrewinding Member Posts: 11
    Well I had one bcm replaced a few months ago under warranty, now I have another one replaced not under warranty. GM should address this issue as this is ridiculous.
  • Options
    jdksjdks Member Posts: 42
    Hi Rewinding:

Mine was changed 3 times under warranty. GM is a company that would not do such things - I've been getting faulty reading on my fuel gauge for over 6 months now and everytime I complained they just add a bottle of fuel injector cleaner and said to see if it fixes it during the next two gas filled up. We can create a letter and ask everyone on this message board who had that BCM problem to sign it and sent it to GM - may be that would get them moving.
  • Options
    rich823rich823 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 FWD model. I am getting a very noticeable pulsating noise, most notably at highway speeds, but there from about 35 mph and up. My wife describes it as being followed by a helicopter. The bearings in both front wheels have been changed under warranty so it is something else. It does vary with speed, but a tire dealer doesn't feel that it is the tires making the noise (There's no excessive vibration or shimmy). Does anybody know what it could be? Thanks.
  • Options
    cmccullcmccull Member Posts: 33
    After reading about all these problems I am amazed. I have had my Rondy for over a year and have not had one problem. I think it is a great vehicle. Hopefully I won't have any future problems.
  • Options
    mmeehanmmeehan Member Posts: 66
    This may give some of you hope...depending on how you look at it. I've had my Rendezvous CX for almost 2 1/2 years. At about 2 yrs. and 3 months (which was 42,000 miles) I started getting some slipping in the tranny as I would accelerate. At the same time I was also having some trouble with hesitation and had had my fuel injectors cleaned about a year prior. Anyway I thought the 2 were related but after having the fuel injectors cleaned again and the throttle box cleaned, my tranny problem didn't go away. So back to the dealership I went. At first they were not able to find anything but I insisted that when the veh was cold, like in the morning, that's when the slipping would occur. So they kept it overnight. Little did I know that's the last I'd see of my Rendezvous for 2 weeks. After keeping it overnight they discovered the same problem and called to tell me that it would cost about $350 just to open her up and check out the transmission. I said forget it. I just planned to drive it til I couldn't drive it anymore. Well 5 minutes later the dealership called and said they were going to call Buick to see if they could offer some assistance. About an hour later they called back to say Buick was taking care of it and the veh should be ready in about a week. Well it ended up taking 2 weeks but "why look a gift horse in the mouth." They told me it would have cost me $3100 if I had to pay for it. The only thing they asked is that when I got the survey that GM sends out after you have your veh srvced, that I bring it in to them blank for them to fill out and mail in. I wasn't about to ask any questions about why they did it, I was just glad they did. This was not the usual dealership that I go to either, but I think I'll go there in the future. Anyway the good news is that if you're out of warranty there is hope for working with GM.
  • Options
    islandpeteislandpete Member Posts: 94
    mmeehan, How would you classify your 42,000 mi ie: Hard Driving, Highway, Normal ? Multiple Drivers etc. Glad you got GM to help out:-)
  • Options
    IslandPete I remember you as one of the veterans around here from way back. Anyway, I am basically the only driver of the vehicle and I do a good comb of hwy and city driving and don't feel I'm hard on the veh. Hopefully this transmission will last longer than the first. The other day I also had to have more freon put in and there is a dye they put in to see if there are any leaks. Well today I have a flourescent yellow liquid on my garage floor and my mechanic tells me it is the dye they put in to check for leaks, so back it has to go. Apparently if you see this yellow gunk you have a leak somewhere. Seemed kind of early to replace freon but I do live in Florida. Hopefully it's nothing expensive.
  • Options
    The Wife's RDV will have to go in again. Back in June it was the BCM, now the "Check Engine Soon" Message is lit . Owners manual states it has nothing to do with emissions but it could be some electrical problem the computer is picking up?. Has anyone had this message and what was the fix?. Guess while it is in I will have the tailgate recall taken care of and the drivers side power mirror works sometimes or when it wants to:-)
  • Options
    nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    I had this early after I bought my RDV. It turned out to be a vapor leak coming from the gas cap area. I was told the the gas line connecting to the opening had to be tightened and I should turn the gas cap pass 3 clicks after putting in gas. About 2 years later I haven't had a problem.
  • Options
    nextmoon, I decribed the message wrong, but it probably is the same. It's "Service Engine Soon". Anyway the RDV goes in tomorrow for checking this out in addition to the tailgate recall. Today when my wife used the RDV, guess what, the message light went out:-)I'll get back to you and let you know what they say. May very well be as happened to you. Hope so :-) Thanks for the input .
  • Options
    03whitecxl03whitecxl Member Posts: 13
    I took the Vous in yesterday because the starter seemed to be sticking on. Well they said our ignition has a built in feature where you just have to turn the key for about a half a second and let go and it will crank the engine till it start. Seems to be true and he said it is in the owners manual. I also took it in because I have been hearing a little pinging or chatter in the mid power range under load (such as with a load of people and AC on). He said that was a normal amount of engine noise. Any one else had any engine pinging or chatter and any resolution. Thanks. PS I'll have pics posted very soon of mine with Running boards and several other improvements.
  • Options
    Had my wife's RDV in for the "Service Engine Soon" message . They changed the "Faulty BCM module". This was the second one since June when a faulty BCM knocked out the AC. The tailgate recall was taken care of and I must say they did a great job and also replaced the motor for the drivers side power mirror. Just a few lines from previous posts re: BCM problems: jdks if you want to get a letter together to send to GM regarding the BCM problem, you can count me in. Below are the recent postings.

#636 of 646 BCM module by rewinding Oct 16, 2003 (11:53 pm)
    Well I had one bcm replaced a few months ago under warranty, now I have another one replaced not under warranty. GM should address this issue as this is ridiculous.

------------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------
    #637 of 646 BCM problems! by jdks Oct 17, 2003 (10:29 am)
    Hi Rewinding:

Mine was changed 3 times under warranty. GM is a company that would not do such things - I've been getting faulty reading on my fuel gauge for over 6 months now and everytime I complained they just add a bottle of fuel injector cleaner and said to see if it fixes it during the next two gas filled up. We can create a letter and ask everyone on this message board who had that BCM problem to sign it and sent it to GM - may be that would get them moving.
  • Options
    You're lucky your BCM is still under warranty islandpete. I also had mine replaced when the veh was about 4-6 months old. My service engine soon light was coming on also and the veh would surge.
    The second time my service engine soon light came on I thought it might be the same problem but it wasn't. It was clogged fuel injectors. And the 3rd time it came on about a year later it was clogged fuel injectors again and $300 out of my pocket. The third time they also cleaned the throttle box and did something else. Don't quite remember what it was.
  • Options
    It is my perception that all these BCM problems are related with the 2002 model year.
    I anyone aware of BCM problems with the 2003 Model?
  • Options
    jk27jk27 Member Posts: 244
    Not a big problem, but has anybody come up with a good solution for removing this haze from the interior of the windshield? I've tried Windex and paper towels, Glass Cleaning Wipes, Chamois and water, etc. but no real good solution. Even if I remove it, it seems to leave streaks (very visible at night in the headlights) and the haze eventually comes back.

Thanks!
  • Options
    lorjorlorjor Member Posts: 1
    Hey Out There.

I have a 03 CXL AWD with approx 6K on it. The car developed a creaking noise from the front end , when you make a LHT or a RHT. This started at 1200 miles , it's been to the dealer 6X they replaced a load of parts still makes the noise anybody out there have this problem ??? Please help. Thanks Phil
  • Options
    Well with 51,000 miles on the RDV I just had to have the condensor replaced on my 2002 veh to the tune of $1100. I am a very unhappy camper especially since 10,000 miles ago I had to have a new transmission put in. Told my hubby we need to get this veh paid off fast and get rid of it. It's a shame cause I like the veh.
  • Options
    Just for fun I jumped over to the Acura MDX Problems & Solutions board (as that was the vehicle I debated about when deciding to go with the RDV). Judging from the number and type of problems, I definitely should have gone with the MDX. :-(
  • Options
    03whitecxl03whitecxl Member Posts: 13
    Have you tried plain ole newspaper. works as good as anything else.
  • Options
    mnfish1mnfish1 Member Posts: 14
    today we took rdv in for small oil leak ...said it was a oil pan problem....only 8000 miles and seems logical...still love it...see my other report under the test is sunday....
  • Options
    petiebirdpetiebird Member Posts: 3
    The digital read out section for the odometer and transmission range selector on my 02 CX is nearly invisible in most daytime driving.(Fine at night).Buick service says this is functioning normally. This section has been well illuminated for about the first year and seems to be getting steadily dimmer since a BCM replacement. Almost a safety hazard. Is it just me or,has any one else noticed a dim readout in this area?
  • Options
    coatingmikecoatingmike Member Posts: 44
    Sorry about your problems. I have not had this as a problem yet, but I feel for you on the "functioning normally." I have a wandering passenger side mirror, and at the moment I'm getting this from the dealer at the moment.
  • Options
    brianlittkebrianlittke Member Posts: 4
    I had to have my BCM replaced yesterday. I have an 03 CXL plus. 3 Months, and already in the shop. I hope this is not the beginning of many trips.

I got the service engine soon message, security and the radio was locked. Drove to work (5 miles), turned the car off, it restarted with no errors. I called the dealer, and they kept it all day, and ended up replacing the BCM. They WO said it was shorted and I had over 50 error codes stored in the computer.
  • Options
    spiritman1spiritman1 Member Posts: 57
    I get the skipping occasionally on the return wipe which is directly related to the wax buildup from using RainX....whether or not you use RainX a periodic cleaning of the blades and the glass with alcohol will usually alleviate the problem,,,,alcohol is what is in those little pads that come with new blades.
  • Options
    bgrorudbgrorud Member Posts: 2
    I have an 02 cxl with 30k miles on it. I recently have been having a strange electrical problem and after reading this forum, did not see it mentioned. While driving along, the entire electrical system will shut down and come back on. all lights turn off, radio turns off, everything, but the rdv keeps running. it comes back on within half a second. May happen 3 or 4 times in 5 minutes or may go 15 minutes without it happening. Is my BCM shorting out? Dealer took a look at it friday before they closed, but said they could not find anything. Thanks for any ideas.
    -Brad
  • Options
    petiebirdpetiebird Member Posts: 3
    Regarding the electrical problems of message # 661, I've experienced the same problems until the "BCM" was replaced. Dealer tried to say it was somehow caused by an A/C overload but lame, I think!
  • Options
    my parking aid is not beeping!! The yellow/red lights are off too.
    any suggestion other than go to the dealer??!!
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Mine stopped working weeks ago.

Dealer told me the remedy was to reprogram the BCM...but that would cause other "user programmable features to become inoperative" so they left it.

I think the Rendezvous' BCM needs another year of Beta testing...