Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    dragodrago Member Posts: 10
    It was actually purchased in Nevada, that's why I had to pay the Taxes at the Cali DMV and get it smogged. Make sure if you buy out of state the car you get can be registered in California. It needs to been California Smog Legal. Once I got the smog check and paid the taxes I got the plates the same day, no waiting

:D
  • Options
    qatisahorseqatisahorse Member Posts: 3
    We have been thinking on buying a '05 Toyota Corolla for $12000 (5-spd, no power), when an ad in Sacbee shows 2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS 5 spd for $8988. (11,488 - 1750 rebate - 750 loyalty incentive) for April 23-24, 2005. The ad says 2 at this price. We show up at the dealer at 10 AM, one was sold, the remaining car is red. My wife wants a silver. We offer $100 above the advertised price for the silver car. The dealer shakes our hand on the spot, no haggling. Our price is $9838 + tax + fees (no $750 incentive cash).

It is the best car buying experience we have ever had. Now we will wait for time to tell if we have made a mistake or a good move for not buying that corolla :)
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Congrats on your new Elantra! I don't know if you actually drove the Corolla, but the driving position is quite uncomfortable for many people (me included). No such problem on the Elantra with its 8-way driver's seat.

One bit of advice: when your Elantra has its first problem, whatever it may be, resist the temptation to second-guess yourself. (I have seen that a lot with people who buy Hyundais--"The stupid Hyundai POS has a problem--I should have bought a Toyota or a Honda!") No cars are perfect, not the Elantra and not the Corolla. So enjoy your new Elantra!
  • Options
    aj2020aj2020 Member Posts: 4
    Just drove home with a 2005 Black Elantra GT Automatic 4dr without the options packages for 13,000 + taxes/title/... for just under 13,900 in total. I think it was a fair deal though if you want to press harder and have more time you can save a few hundreds more.

Love the car so far. Only cons - Dont like the engines noise when RPMs go above 3000 and it doesn't seem to handle well above 75mph on the highways. Having said that it has way too many positives for the price I had to pay.

Happy Elantra shopping!
  • Options
    bikerpabikerpa Member Posts: 68
    aj2020,

congrats on the purchase - your price looks really good. A tip: if you'd like tighter handling, especially at speed, look into picking up the swaybar off of a Tiburon GT. They're a few millimeters thicker, it's an easy modification to make, and it'll make the car feel much more confident whenever you turn the wheel.

Good luck!
  • Options
    u4eau4ea Member Posts: 5
    check out my post # 770. I too live in seattle. That seems like a good deal, but you might have some room to go down on the price. I think you're close and you already have a fair price. It's a fun car, too, and I'm getting 27 mpg on mixed driving.
    I did buy at the end of one of their slower months (maybe this week would be good to buy?)
    Good luck,
    Tim
  • Options
    aj2020aj2020 Member Posts: 4
    bikerpa,

Would changing the swaybar affect the hyundai warranty. I have a feeling it should. What do you think?
  • Options
    jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    Hi Folks ... just looking for some dealer guidance. There is a possibility that I will be moving from Michigan to Maine. So, I am wondering who here has had dealer experiences near Camden. It looks like the closest are Blouin Hyundai of Augusta, or Quirk Hyundai of Bangor. Anything interesting to report? Better service at one over the other? Any info is appreciated!
  • Options
    anon70anon70 Member Posts: 82
    The current $1750 rebate for the Elantra expires in a week (May 2).

anyone know what the rebate will be for June? or do the dealers not even know till May 3rd?
  • Options
    fldavemfldavem Member Posts: 7
    By tomorrow at this time I'm planning on owning an 05 Elantra GT (leather, cd, etc) hatchback automatic transmission and option 7 (sunroof) in south Florida.

My out-the-door price will be $14,800 (taxes, rebate,etc). I don't qualify for the previous owner rebate. Any thoughts as to if this is a good deal or not?

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    aj2020,

you might want to take the question over to the standard Hyundai Elantra forum. I could write a paragraph or two about it, but our gracious host would come in and yell at me. ;)
  • Options
    What's the price after rebate but before taxes, license, and doc fees?
  • Options
    I'm not sure about "doc fees", but here's what I have so far:
    2005 Hyundai Elantra 4dr Hatchback GT
    MSRP Invoice
    Base Price $14,849 $13,735
    Destination $545 $545
    Options $1,600 $1,435 (Automatic, Sunroof)
    Total Price $16,994 $15,715

My price (by my own backwards calculations):

15561.50 car (Invoice is 15,715 - see above from cars.com)
    +125 tag transfer
    +25 Palm Beach County fee
    +8.50 Batter, Tire, and Lemmon Law fee
    +838 tax
    -1750 rebate
    $14,808 TOTAL

So they're under invoice and no dealer fee, but probably make some money on holback or incentives or something.

Picking it up (and paying for it) around 3:30 EST
  • Options
    Looks like a nice deal. What color? Maybe the dealer got some incentive cash for volume for the month. You're buying it at just the right time of the month.
  • Options
    Silver, or whatever they call silver! I was looking far two weeks (since a crash). Almost pays to get a cheap rental car if you're looking earlier in the month if you can make it up with the end-of-months specials. Or not!
  • Options
    Sales tax $436.10, tag $51.00, freight $595.00, processing fee $289.20.

That will be $11044.00+$436.10+$51.00+$595.00+$289.20=$12215.30

What's this processing fee??

and isnt destination charge $545, not 595?
  • Options
    My guess is profit, otherwise known as dealer fee. Or it may be some filing fees that need to be paid. Have they offered an explination?
  • Options
    In my state they call it a "documentation fee" and it's typically $50-75 but varies by state. But you should ask them what it's for. If it's to take documents to the courthouse, you could offer to run them over yourself. :-)
  • Options
    The dealership sold the $11044 hatchback w/just cruise control that i mentioned a few msgs above.

Now they have a gls hatchback automatic w/option 5/AE in Black for 11707.

That's $1000 under invoice.

They also have a GT hatchback w/just cruise control for $11899. That's 868 under invoice.

THe GLS is the better deal, right?
  • Options
    It's a better deal depending on the relative importance to you of the features on the GT (e.g. alloys, leather, spl. gauges, fog lamps), and the moonroof on the GLS. In my experience, the GTs hold their value a little better than GLSes too.
  • Options
    i dont care about either the cd, moonroof, or leather seats. All i want is cruise control.

I wanted the GLS hatchback because it's on a GT frame for only a couple hundred more.

i was dealing with the dealership's internet sales rep for the $11044 GLS hatchback w/only cruise control. but i balked at the $289 processing fee add-on charge.

then i get an email from the internet sales mgr saying the $11044 car has been sold. then offers the other 2 cars at more $ under invoice than the $11044 car.

$1000 under invoice for GLS hatchback is great, but i'm paying $650 more for options I don't need.

1) Hm.. I can view $11707 as $110 under invoice for the GLS hatchback with automatic and just cruise control, and they're throwing in a moonroof and CD?

or should i wait till May when (if) they get more cars w/only the cruise control option? And hope they offer it at the same $11044 price????

2) And is there an estimate on how much incentive cash the dealership gets for reaching volume quota?
  • Options
    Manufacturer-to-sales manager incentives are variable and not published--at least I've never seen them published.

My '04 GT is the first car I've owned (after 30+ years of driving) with a moonroof, and I find I really enjoy it. I'm always either popping it up to get extra ventilation without much wind noise, or opening it to let the fresh air and sun in, or opening the cover to keep the interior bright and warm on winter days.

If you really want to wait for the cruise-only deal, you could try to get something in writing from the dealer that they'll sell you their next car equipped that way at the $11044 price--or $12794 less whatever the rebate is in May.
  • Options
    odds of the rebate being at least $1750 for May?
  • Options
    Pretty high IMO, but you never know what is in the minds of those marketing geniuses.
  • Options
    cabo1130cabo1130 Member Posts: 1
    I paid $10,500 for my 2005 Elantra GT w/ ABS, traction control, sunroof, AT. I received $1750 rebate and $750 customer loyalty plus traded in a beat up 1996 Blazer with 200,000 miles on it. I think I got a good deal.
  • Options
    Blazing deal. Well done! :)
  • Options
    I test drove a GLS hatchback automatic today.

on a flat road, i floored the gas pedal from 20mph to 55mph (typical merging on a highway). i thought the acceleration was awful for a car that has a 2.0 liter engine and 138 hp.

Your thoughts? And should i go back and test out 0 to 55mph?
  • Options
    If you want pep, get the 5-speed.

FWIW, I have had to floor my Elantras to merge on a freeway only once or twice in nearly five years. And that was because I wanted to see what it could do, not because I had to. In real world driving I find both the auto and manual Elantras have plenty of power.
  • Options
    edmund's specs doesnt list overdrive. and when i test drove it, there wasnt an overdrive button on the gear shift.

is there overdrive on the automatic?
  • Options
    Overdrive is the 4th gear. Yes, automatic transmission Elantras have it. It doesn't do anything for acceleration, though.
  • Options
    timmythebonetimmythebone Member Posts: 18
    I have the same vehicle but in tidal blue. It was 14,650 OTD with $3000 in rebates at the time. I'm in PA. :)
  • Options
    cholm725cholm725 Member Posts: 3
    Ok, well I went to Consumer Reports and their wholesale price came out to $14,823 for the 05 Elantra GT Hatchback, Auto Trans, Package 8 (ABS, Moonroof, etc).

I ended up paying $15,500 for the car BUT that includes my DMV fees ($218 for title, registration, plates, etc) and the wind deflector for the moonroof ($47 invoice, I paid $74 installed) and tint for the windows ($300 charged, cheaper than I could find elsewhere too).

The $15,500 without all of that included is well within the 4-8% over invoice so I think I got a reasonable deal. I argued their advertising fees until we hated each other and they wouldn't budge so they're included and that punched THEIR invoice up to $16,721.

I got the military rebate and current rebate, total: $2250

What do you think?
  • Options
    Invoice (including the adv fee) less rebates is around $14,500. So you paid about $400 over invoice with the other stuff added in. IMO that's a bit high for an Elantra, but in the reasonable range. Did you check with any other dealers? You didn't mention sales tax--is that in there someplace?

Dealers in some areas consider the adv fee part of the invoice and won't budge on it. :(
  • Options
    Where was this?

In northern virginia, i was getting quotes in writing of $1000 under invoice.

Elantra GLS hatchback with cruise control:

"We had two in stock. This afternoon, we sold one of them.

We still have the exact car you're looking for ... for a great price, except it also has a CD player, cruise control and a sunroof. It's actually a summer dream.

It's black, and we'd love to get you into this week. Since we have limited quantities, I'm certain that vehicle will be gone on Saturday.

We can get you the great price of: $11,707

Or, we have a GT with a hatchback: $11,889

Please let me know at your earliest convenience.

Sincerely,"

This was at fairfax hyundai in northern virginia
  • Options
    cholm725cholm725 Member Posts: 3
    I checked with some other dealers but they are 2 hours away from me and dealing with them was kind of a pain. They weren't prompt in replying either (I was working through internet/phone). I would have done more legwork had I not needed the car asap. So that was working against me a little.

There's no sales tax as I live in Oregon. $50 is what they charged me to do the DMV work so that's 50 of the 400 over invoice. I paid them to do it because I'm a full time graduate student, part-time worker and getting to the DMV would not be easy for me.

$400 over invoice is great with me, especially since I only put 6 hours of actual negotiation over two days into it all...the only time I had. hehe I started them at the TMV price that people are paying in my region and used Consumer Reports as a check. Carsdirect was another check but they, surprisingly(?), were offering a higher price than what I paid (before add-ons).

Thanks for the input! I figured I was a little high but not too over the top given the add-ons and what not.
  • Options
    danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    Invoice on your car is actually about 16,200 so I'd say you did well. Regardless of profit or loss, if you are happy with the deal then don't worry about anybody else's opinion.
  • Options
    jackets2jackets2 Member Posts: 3
    First I wish to thank all posters for there free information, very helpful in my car buying experience. Yesterday I purchased a GT Hatch electric red, 5spd, abs,sunroof, traction control,[Fully Loaded } for 13,800 OTD -12,527 before frieght,fee and tx/tag.
    While reseaching for a new enonomy vehicle I ingnored all Hyundai suggestions test driving the corolla, matrix, civic, focus and xb without being satisfied, kept reading till I finally read the Elantra forums and decided to test drive one in my area-Central Virginia. We were sold right away, but knew [because this forum to check Fairfax Hyundai - The same car 170 miles away for 2,500$ cheaper,my local dealer told me that they had extra dealer incentives to make this happen. Anyway the big city dealership had a country flare and the transaction was flawless. Thanks again- will keep you posted, jackets2
  • Options
    Congrats on the new GT! Looks like you really got a good price. And it's the right color too (red)! :)
  • Options
    salvorhardinsalvorhardin Member Posts: 1
    I would also like to thank the people of this forum giving their experiences on their elantras. I purchased an automatic blue elantra gt with a tss security system and perma plate. my final price with taxes and fees was $15,700. what convinced me to get this car was the features it has stock and the price. Had considered a corolla but after driving the elantra the corolla wasn't worth the extra $3,000.
  • Options
    advertised in the Washington Post today for $9695 (stock # 52570)

College Park Hyundai
  • Options
    nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    Seems to me there might be some "FINE" bottom line print involved? Such as a lot of "incentives" that most of us are not eligible for...(recent college grad...active military personnel....trade-in another Hyundai ($750.00???) etc, etc.
  • Options
    jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    Hi, it's me again. I'm repeating my request for info on midcoast Maine Hyundai dealers, just in case my prior post was overlooked. Has anyone purchased from or had service performed by Blouin Hyundai of Augusta or Quirk Hyundai of Bangor? These will be the closest to me, but still about 40 minutes away. Like most of us in these threads, I want the best care for my little Betsy, still strong at 55K miles (rolled 55,555 on the way home from a Chicago day trip!). Thanks, everyone.
  • Options
    gwhatnowgwhatnow Member Posts: 10
    There's a dealer near me who still has a couple of them. The 2004 rebates aren't shown on the Hyundai web site anymore. I'll have to check by calling the company to see if they're still available, but how much less than a new 2005 would be a good price for the new 2004s? Actually, thinking about it, perhaps the question should be: how much less including all rebates?
  • Options
    mp3mp3 Member Posts: 4
    Recently purchased a 2005 GLS Hatchback Automatic with ABS / CD upgrade / Cruise / floor mats and one free service for $12649 + tax/fees; $14094 total to get it my home in CA. The email quote I got for the same car from the same dealer was $13399.

This seems to be below what the dealer paid for, including the 2% holdback. I did not get any rebate other than the $1750. I doubt if the dealer will sell it to me for a loss, am I missing something? The TMV price for the car on Edmunds is $13666. :confuse:

I like the way the GLS hatchback handles. This is a perfect blend, stiffer than the sedan but softer than the GT. I also test drove a bareboned $15000 Corolla, which felt really sluggish in comparison. Anyway, now I am set for 10 years :)
  • Options
    The dealer might seem to sell the car at a loss but might have special incentives from the manufacturer (e.g. for hitting certain sales targets) that make up for it.

Your comment about the handling is interesting because the GLS 5-door is supposed to have the same steering, suspension, and tires as the GT.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. I tried to find out how much exactly the dealer pays for it, but I couldnt figure that out (apart from invoice and holdback). They did mention something about a volume sales target, as I bought it on the last day of the month. Anyway, I already have the car and love it so far, so guess I will stick to the belief that I got a pretty good deal, until someone bursts my bubble! ;)

You are right about the specifics on the suspension on the GLS 5D and the GT. I asked the dealer the question (after I bought the car), and he said it might be because the GTs are tuned tighter, though they have the same suspension etc. Maybe I was imagining it, and the dealer was just being nice! :blush:
  • Options
    I don't know... when I drove a GLS 5-door a few months ago, I could swear it felt just a bit softer than the GT. But I could have been imagining it too, or maybe the tires were less full than on my GT (I keep mine at 35 psi).
  • Options
    rebate is only $1500 for May :(

Edmunds
  • Options
    Yup, apparently they are focusing on the Tucson and Sonata now.
  • Options
    Good, then I am not totally crazy! Maybe the dealers keep it at different tire pressures, so that the GT is stiffer.