Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    I don't think anybody but the hosts mind a little relatively off topic banter.
  • Options
    yjvyjv Member Posts: 2
    Hi buddies, I'm going to buy an automatic Elantra GLS 2005. It is the basic model with cruise control, the dealer offers me OTD $11,200, do you think it is a good deal? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    It looks like a really good deal, but what's the price before the add-ons (taxes, license, doc fees etc.)?
  • Options
    yjvyjv Member Posts: 2
    Actually I don't know what's the price before those stuff are added, but I guess the tax should be around $500-600, and the freight is about $500, so the price is somewhere near $9,500-10,000?
  • Options
    Sounds like you are getting a really good deal then--way below invoice!
  • Options
    raynerayne Member Posts: 3
    Got it for 12,929 before taxes and such and they threw in free window tinting. I get to pick it up on Tuesday. Thanks for all the great advice i've found in here.
    :)
  • Options
    abacabac Member Posts: 1
    Quote in San Francisco, California

2005 Elantra GLS 5-Door hatchback
    Automatic
    ABS/Traction, Cruise control, CD upgrade 6 speaker
    Some small extras like floor mats etc

$12900 including destination charge, without taxes, fees. (I think the total will be about 14000)
    I dont have any other rebates except the standard $1500.
    Is this a good deal?

ab
  • Options
    That is considerably under invoice (even w/o the rebate), and it is a fairly rare car (GLS with ABS), so it looks like a really good deal to me.
  • Options
    varegsvaregs Member Posts: 2
    I paid $12,000 total after taxes, fees, etc. (I believe the actual negotiated price was $11,333). However, mine does not have cruise control. Sounds like you've got a great deal!
  • Options
    vikhawkvikhawk Member Posts: 4
    An update on my post of March 30, 2005. I paid off the car last week. The total price I paid was $10,364.34. I got $2000 on my trade in.
  • Options
    timtheforestertimtheforester Member Posts: 2
    I enjoy reading eveyone's posts, thanks for all the information. I've decided I want a 5 door GLS Elantra, preferably 5 speed (because of the price) with as few options as possible. I basically want a reliable car that is comfortable enough for long trips.

As I have done some exploring, and negotiating, the price I am looking at, is around 14,150 (exclu. title, tags, tax, etc.; around 15,400 OTD) and includes package 3 (cd and cruise). That excludes the rebate because i am planning on financing at 0% but it still seems high, especially in light of some of the other posts.

The dealership I went to was in Lima, OH, so probably smaller than those in San Francisco, or D.C. but...I still expected a better price. Any information on how I can negotiate the price down, or why it is so high would be appreciated. Additionally, if anyone has bought an Elantra in Indi, Cincinnati, Columbus, Dayton, Toledo, Ft. Wayne and has price information I would love to hear it. Thanks.
  • Options
    $14,150 is $524 over invoice. Since the dealership is small they may not want to go any lower. So it pays to look around in the nearby cities as you are doing. Have you actually negotiated with the Lima dealer or is this their initial offer? If so, you can counter-offer. Another way you could save is, if you don't need cruise, go with an un-optioned car, which is $600 less (502 invoice). You could get a better-than-factory CD w/MP3 unit at Best Buy etc. for about $200.
  • Options
    timtheforestertimtheforester Member Posts: 2
    I did some negotiating but they were pretty set that they had a price and needed to stick with that. A related question, how much under or over invoice would be typically considered reasonable for Elantra's?

Also, did some more shopping today and received a quote of 15494 for a 5 door, automatic, with sunroof, cd, cruise, floor mats, mud flaps. It is around $300 over the listed invoice but that relates to my question above. From other posts, it seemed people were getting prices under the listed invoice but I am certainly not there yet.

Thanks for the reply, and again, any information is appreciated.
  • Options
    Only the dealer can tell you what a reasonable price is, for them. Only they know their costs of doing business and what they need to make on each car. And only they know what if any hidden incentives there are for them to sell a car to you, today. That's why you need to check with several dealers in the area.

For me personally, in today's market I wouldn't pay over invoice (before rebates) on an Elantra, and I would try like heck to get under invoice. But that's in a big-city Midwestern market with several large dealers to choose from--dealers that don't charge the "advertising fee" that is non-optional with many Hyundai dealers.

$300 over invoice is better, and consider also a car with automatic and sunroof may be easier to sell down the road, if you aren't planning on driving it into the ground. And the automatic tranny is covered under the 10-year/100k powertrain warranty while the clutch is not.
  • Options
    dryicedryice Member Posts: 2
    05 Elantra GT automatic with leather,sunroof cd, cruise, floor mats, mud flaps.

got it for $14000 in Raleigh NC

is this a good deal?
  • Options
    willr7559willr7559 Member Posts: 1
    I'm starting to look at the Elantra. Did your price of $14000 include any rebates? What sold you on the Elantra GT?

Thanks...
  • Options
    dryicedryice Member Posts: 2
    yeah the $1500 rebate.

no trade in

We test drove civic, corolla, ION... the elantra had the best performance/price ratio. also, the design striks me as very well thought out. The engine layout is very clean w/ no exposed wire root, compared to sentra & corolla. I think Hyundai is like the Toyota in the early 90s when they made some really outstanding/reliable cars.
  • Options
    smith20smith20 Member Posts: 256
    05 Elantra GT automatic with leather,sunroof cd, cruise, floor mats, mud flaps.

got it for $14000 in Raleigh NC

is this a good deal?

Seems to me like you got a pretty good deal. Looks like a few hundred dollars below invoice before the $1,500 rebate.
  • Options
    twistylocstwistylocs Member Posts: 20
    I just received a bid from a dealer in the Lower Mainland (Vancouver area) of $21,800 (Canadian) -- out the door price -- for a 2005 GT 5-door A/T w/ sunroof. This includes all taxes, freight/PDI, documentation fees and environmental levies.

This is significantly lower than the bid I got from Open Road Hyundai in Richmond - interestingly enough when I asked them to fax me a signed counter-bid, the salesman refused to do it. Instead he wanted to haggle by phone. An aside: If the salesperson isn't willing to meet a very simple request like "Fax me a quote, I'm not interested in talking about this over the phone", I feel like he doesn't deserve my business.

Since this is the first car I've ever purchased, I'm wondering if I should continue to haggle for a better price, or should I go ahead and take this offer? Also, was I wrong to tell the salesman at Open Road that if he couldn't follow a simple request that I wasn't interested in doing business with him anymore?

I'm still waiting on other bids to come in, but it seems that these days dealers don't seem to be too willing to reply to faxed call-for-bids letters. Out of 6 faxes I sent the other day, so far I've only received one reply.
  • Options
    If you can, maybe try email correspondence. We had good success with that method a year ago when purchasing an Elantra. In addition to sending out email quote requests, we haggled in person at the dealership just a few miles from our house . . . that was a terrible experience. We spent two hours at that place and after all that they still quoted us near MSRP!!! It was a ridiculous waste of time. They handshake agreed to a great price, but then a half hour later when they came back with the paperwork (they just twiddled their thumbs in the back for a half-hour, I'm sure), they effectively said, "oops I made a mistake it's really this price" . . . which was $2,000 more than verbal agreement. Of course they were hoping we'd be impatient and just sign anyway. Disgusted with this tactic, we just got up and left. The sales person wants to haggle with you because they feel they can make more money that way. There's no other reason they'd do it.

For us personally, we'll never again waste time going in person . . . it's so much easier and less time-wasting using remote correspondence. It gives you time to think about the details of their offer without pressure. There is absolutely nothing wrong with you asking for a simple quote. If they don't want to deal that way, don't buy from them. In my opinion, you can seek price quotes however you feel most comfortable.
  • Options
    pange04pange04 Member Posts: 2
    I am trying to decide between buying a 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT and a 2005 Toyota Corolla LE. It looks like the prices they'll give me (before taxes, etc.) are $12500 for the Elantra and $14000 for the Corolla. This is my first time buying a car. Does anybody have any advice as to which would be the better buy and if these are good prices? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
  • Options
    You have to first figure out which factors are important to you before you can say which car is the better buy. For example, if you plan to only keep the car for 2-3 years, the Corolla might be the better buy for you because depreciation on the Elantra over the first few years is particularly steep. It evens out after 4-5 years however. And over a longer time, the Elantra's warranty is a bigger advantage.

Also be sure you have driven both cars on a long test drive. I and others have found the Elantra's seating position is much more comfortable than the Corolla's, which seems to be optimized for short drivers. Also, what is the equipment on both cars and how important are the differences to you? For example, do you really like the leather interior on the GT or is the cloth on the Corolla more to your liking? And do you like the idea of having the versatility of a hatchback on the GT, or do you prefer a sedan? Write down your decision criteria, prioritize them (i.e. which ones can't you live without, which ones are nice-to-have), and see which car comes out on top in a significant way. If neither car really pops to the top in your analysis, then you can go by price.
  • Options
    pange04pange04 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you so much for your help. I decided to go with the Elantra. I just felt much more comfortable in it. I got it at Fairfax Hyundai for $13885 out the door. Not too bad, right?
  • Options
    If that is based on $12,500 for a GT with no options before tax, license, and fees, that sounds like a solid deal--even moreso if it has any options. But anyway, you are happy with the deal and that is what matters.
  • Options
    paradoxparadox Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to these message boards and would appreciate advice. I'll be moving from CT to Austin, Texas in the beginning of August. I'm planning on buying an Elantra, and am trying to figure out whether it makes more sense to buy it in the North East at the end of July or in Texas sometime in August. Any idea what price I should expect to pay at either location/time? Thanks!
  • Options
    observer22observer22 Member Posts: 41
    Sacramento's Maita Hyundai selling new 2005 stick shift Elantras for $8888, same price as two years ago.
  • Options
    cooper243cooper243 Member Posts: 2
    I went from an '01 Corolla to a new Elantra GLS, the one not available with a hatchback. I got a moonroof, automatic w/ cruise control, am/fm/cd 7 speakers, and cargo net. Not sure why that is in there, but oh well. I paid $11,700 before my trade-in and loyalty owner discount as my brother co-signed so I got the extra money off. I live in Columbus, Ohio. Is that a good deal?
  • Options
    hellie1hellie1 Member Posts: 6
    I have decided after much research and test driving that I'm in for the Elantra GT. However, the one I originally test drove slipped through my fingers! :cry: There seems to be a shortage of the GT's (w/option 7-sunroof, no ABS) in the Northern VA area, particularly in silver or black. I know that the new production is coming out sometime in the next year or so but there has to be a few of the GT's left. Price I was originally quoted was 14,350, with "room for improvement" if I was committed at that moment. Is that a good price and does anyone have any suggestions as to where to try next? Thanks:)
  • Options
    Looks like you got a really good price, esp. since it was before the loyalty discount. But re a couple of points in your post: the GLS is available in a hatchback for '05, and the CD upgrade has 6 speakers, not 7 (unless the dealer added a 7th speaker?).
  • Options
    Couple things to try: see if your dealer will do a regional locate for you to find exactly the car you want. The other is to check out the GLS hatchback, which has the same suspension and steering as the GT and also similar exterior styling (i.e., it has the black moldings on the sides and bumpers). It has a nice sport cloth interior vs. the leather in the GT, and is missing some of the other bits of the GT like alloys, fog lamps, and purple gauges. But it rides and drives just like the GT for hundreds less.

IMO $14,350 for the GT is not a very good offer, considering there's a $1500 rebate on the car and Elantras are not exactly a "hot" item.
  • Options
    hellie1hellie1 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks, I was slightly confused on the differences between the GLS and GT (having only test driven the GT) in terms of suspension, steering, etc. It seems as if the differences are "extras" and yes the GLS is less money. Always a plus!

There are still 6 speakers, I was referring to option 7 (on the GT) which kicks in the sunroof, no ABS.

I will be working on my dealer to get the price down anyway since I'm compromising on what I originally wanted.

Here's another question:
    What do you think is a good price for
    -the GLS hatchback w/sunroof?
    -or GT w/sunroof (if I get lucky with it!)?
  • Options
    Much depends on the business situation of the dealer, but personally for an Elantra I wouldn't pay more than $100 or so above invoice before rebates. But that is in a large metro area with several dealers, a lot of competition and volume. In some cities, you can get an Elantra for below invoice before rebates. Edmunds' TMV pricing for your area can give you a good idea where to start.
  • Options
    missy8012missy8012 Member Posts: 1
    I am also considering buying a 2005 Elantra. The dealership offered me 13,500 OTD with 0.00% interest rate for 60 months. Thats with Cruise control and automatic. Should I negotiate lower, to $12,500, or stay with $13,500? I would appreciate your advice. My email is mm7274@albany.edu

Thank You!
    Melissa
  • Options
    $13.5k OTD is below invoice. If you want to try to go lower than's up to you, but it looks like a very good price to me (assuming you don't qualify for any rebates and are taking the 0% in lieu of the $1500 rebate).
  • Options
    kaijadkaijad Member Posts: 7
    I purchased an Elantra GT 5-door with leather, sunroof, mudflaps for $13,200 before taxes. I used the Consumer Reports report that gives the wholesale price for the cars (aside from dealer price and MSRP). It was black! Which I was stoked about.

However, I'm about to file a report with the Better Business Bureau because they've refused to refund the $100 deposit I put down to hold the car, even though it was written in the contract. It was at Hyundai of Manhattan, they've been completely unprofessional about the situation. A bit on the shadey side. But I DID get a pretty good deal.
  • Options
    reuel3reuel3 Member Posts: 114
    Please do not post messages with "e-mail me" requests and your e-mail address. These forums are designed for information to be exchanged publicly, and using personal e-mails deprives other members of gaining insightful information. Also, posting your e-mail address in a public forum is unwise as the spam bots may pick it up.

Thank you for the cooperation!
  • Options
    However, I'm about to file a report with the Better Business Bureau because they've refused to refund the $100 deposit I put down to hold the car, even though it was written in the contract.

I'm confused. You're purchasing a car from them. Because of that, you owe them $13,200 and you want a $100 deposit back. Won't the deposit go towards the purchase price? Or are you saying in addition what you need to pay them for the car they've taken your $100 deposit?
  • Options
    kaijadkaijad Member Posts: 7
    I already purchased the car. I had to make a "good faith" deposit of $100 the friday before my car was delivered to insure that I would show up to purchase it. (It was essentiallly a hold on my credit card.) Contractually, the $100 was to be refunded the day I purchased the car. It wasn't. And it's taken me more than a month and more than 10 phone calls to get them to honor the contract.
  • Options
    cecropiacecropia Member Posts: 6
    So you finally got the $100 back. Good.

$13,200 (before taxes) for a GT 5-door with sunroof and mudflaps seems to me like a very good price -- particularly if it has automatic transmission.

By comparison, at a Minneapolis Hyundai dealer, I recently purchased a silver 5-door similarly equipped (with sunroof and mudflaps) for $13.500 OTD. However, it's a manual.

If yours is an automatic, I think you got a better deal.
  • Options
    averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    New 2005 Elantra GT sedan, automatic transmission, moonroof, anti-lock brakes and traction control, mudguards. Purchase price $13,600 plus tax, license and document fee. There was only one like it among 4 different dealerships. The MSRP was $17,649 I think. Sound about right?
  • Options
  • Options
    It sounds like an excellent price. At $13,600, the car would be selling for $2,130 below the posted invoice price for that package, which is $15, 730. The dealer would seem to be selling at a considerable loss.

Of course, we all know that invoice prices are routinely inflated. Still, $13,600 (plus tax, licence and document fee) looks to me to be a very good price for what you're getting.
  • Options
    spohiospohio Member Posts: 13
    cooper243... could you elaborate a bit on the deal you got? I am shopping for the same vehicle in central ohio. was yours auto or 5spd? which dealer? what was the msrp? I assume you took the $1500 rebate instead of the special rate?
  • Options
    cooper243cooper243 Member Posts: 2
    I went to Hatfield Hyundai. It is an automatic with cruise control, moonroof, cd player with 7 speakers. The msrp was $15,100 or $16,100 and I did take the $1500 cash back Email me if you want to know my salesman.
  • Options
    moodgardmoodgard Member Posts: 37
    Hi all, this seems a great and helpful forum, been reading for a couple of hours, thanks to those who help.

Ok, I'm in the market for a 2005 GT fully loaded, got some e-quotes, checked newspaper ads. Test drove one, loved it. Seems I can work out a $12,500 price after the $1,500 discount, before TTR. I also get the sense with end of month, quarter and half-year it could go lower.

Problem I have: it's not available in black, only in silver, amof. There's the GLS available in black, but isn't the hatchback (which I'm told is closer to the GT suspension?) , and a lot of things apparently are missing in GLS compared to GT (I know about the leather seats, that's ok, I didn't like the leather seats on the one I test drove).

Would like to know:

(a) What major things in GT are missing in GLS with all options (I don't care about moon roof).

(b) How's this price for this late in the season? Some posts here seem to have found ads under 10,000...

(c) Any other suggestions you have?

[I'm trying to make a decision between settling for a silver GT with all I want, and a black GLS which is missing things and I don't know what they are...)]

Thanks for reading, and your help.
  • Options
    Good question. There's a $1,200 difference between the basic automatic GT 's MSRP ($15,699) and the basic automatic GSL's ($14,499).

For the extra $1.200, this is what you get with the GT:

alloy rims
    rear spoiler
    leather upholstery
    leather steering wheel and leather trim on shift knob
    cruise control
    trip computer
    front fog lights
    CD stereo (the GLS has a cassette stereo)
    upgraded (Kenwood) stereo system
    6 speakers (the GLS has 4)

Otherwise, the cars are basically the same.

Whether these "extras" are worth the extra cost depends on the individual. Personally, I could get along without most of them . I opted for the GT only because of the cruise control and the CD player.
  • Options
    Over a year ago I bought a loaded Elantra GT 5-door in Racing Red. I love the color. However, like all darker colors it shows every speck of dirt, looks terrible if it's a little dusty when it sprinkles, and seems to show scratches more than lighter colors. If I had it do do all over again (and I might next year when I replace my '01 GLS), I'd get silver. My GLS is champagne and the paint is holding up very well, still looks new except for a few dings and touched-up scratches. Like silver, it hides dust/dirt/salt spray well. Silver is a very popular color, so it may help resale a bit, and it's also "cooler"--which is important if you get hot weather where you live.
  • Options
    moodgardmoodgard Member Posts: 37
    Thanks, cecropia for the clear break-down, and backy for the advantages of silver color. It does get hot here four months a year, that's when I do go out a lot. For the winter, I'll have to do something about the tires, I've seen a few posts about those.

My buying decision is easier now, silver GT loaded, at a real good price (or price I'm happy with...). Will come back & report.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    lolo5lolo5 Member Posts: 1
    Can averagejoe tell me where he bought his GT with moonroof, antilock brakes, mudguards, etc. for $13,600?
  • Options
    sisyphussisyphus Member Posts: 2
    I'm interested in buying Elantra GLS automatic with option 1.
    I got a quote from a local dealer which is $13,200 (including taxes, tags and processing fee).
    I'm wondering if anybody got a better deal for Elantra GLS.