Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda CR-V Owners Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• Options
    gary_williamgary_william Member Posts: 52
    ladies and gentlemen, I have found a trailer hitch which is both economical and easy to install. www.hitch-web.com has hitches for the afore-mentioned vehicle for under 120 bucks. I got mine today and installed it in about an hour. I assure you that I am NOT mechanically inclined. here are the results of the installation:

the hitch mounts in holes which are already drilled in the frame. You will need to enlarge them slightly to get the mounting hardware into them, however, but a few strokes from a hammer and screwdriver will enlarge them enough.

you will need to drop the muffler off of it's rubber mounts. 5 minutes of pulling and prying will do it. the previously mentioned hammer may be used as required. (simple tools for simple folks).

the hitch mounting hardware (a bolt and backing plate) will beed to be stuck into the holes in the frame. MAKE SURE YOU USE THE GUIDE WIRE WHICH THEY SUPPLY. This will prevent the bolt and plate from being irretreivably lost within the tube steel frame of the vehicle. Additionally, once the hitch is positioned, you must remove the wire from the bolt before installing the nut. MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT PUSH THE BOLT INTO THE FRAME. aka be careful.

the hitch in place, all that remains is to install an adapter to the towing hook, which is comprised of a bolt, three plate washers, and a nut. This constitutes the third support point for the hitch.

the instruction manual tells you to bend the muffler hangers by 1/2", but I see no need to. I didn't, then I took it for a test drive, and did not hear the muffler hitting the hitch frame, so maybe it is ok as is.

the only thing I am a little bit leery of is that the hitch runs against the hose from the fuel filter. I was able to bend (it is rubber so there is no fear of kinking it) the hose out of the way enough to install the hitch, but now it is resting on the hitch frame. I shall check it sporadically to make sure it is not chaffing on the frame.

bad part: you cannot remove the hitch without losing the bolt and reinforcing plate inside of the frame, unless considerable care is taken. I do not think I could take that much care, so I will just leave it installed. Maybe even put a little propellar on the end to get a little better gas mileage. ;)

this hitch is a class 1 receiver, 1.1/4" tube, and has a hauling capacity of 2000 lbs and an allowable tongue weight of 200 lbs, both of which are in excess of the vehicle's capacity ergo the car will fail before the hitch does. which is what you want to happen.

IT IS THAT SIMPLE.

tomorrow I will give a report on the installation of the wiring harness. Happy hauling!!
  • Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    I downloaded the PDF file but you need the anti-theft code for the radio. Where do I get these codes? My salesman said they must program this at the dealer and I can't do this. He claims it requires a skilled techie. Is this accurate?

Your salesman is lying to you, or at least is misleading you. You should have received a card with the anti-theft code on it when you bought the CR-V. Did you check in the glove box? If not, the dealer can look up the code based on the serial number of the radio, but that means you have to remove the radio to read the serial number. Programming the remote entry fobs just requires that you follow the directions in the PDF. I'm assuming you need the radio anti-theft code because you have to disconnect the battery.

Good luck.
  • Options
    chewymanchewyman Member Posts: 20
    Thanks again for the info on how to get the anti-theft codes. The remotes are about $90.00 with the receiver. They want $269 at the dealer. The salesmen said that the keys had a chip in them and all the programming required technical epertise to do it right other wise I might have warranty problems if I messed it up. It doesn't sound that difficult from the instructions in the PDF file and I like the idea of keeping the $160 bucks.
  • Options
    vforvictoryvforvictory Member Posts: 2
    I would love to install a DVD-MP3 player in my CR-V. The dealer cost is about $2000. In www.mp3playerstore.com you can buy these for $300. Does anybody have any ideas on how to install the roof-mount screen and player, where the sound can be distributed through the CR-V's audio accessories ?
  • Options
    ok, the hitch went in flawlessly, but word of advise: use lock-tite on the nuts. I lost the tow hook assembly (it vibrated loose). I replaced it with a 5/8" bolt, some washers, and a nylon-backed nut.

as for the wiring harness: I dont know. It didnt come in time so I couldnt install it myself. It was supposed to be one of teh spliceless types, but the '03 is slightly different than the '02 in that the rear speakers are relocated, so easy access to the lighting connectors is no longer possible. I went to a trailer hitch maker in the Marietta GA area and they hooked me up for 20 bucks to installing a harness which I bought from UHaul for 20 bucks.

All told, I got a good setup for 160 bucks and an hour of my personal time. Much better than some of the prices I have seem on the net, and the dealer price of 70 bucks just for the wiring harness.

Now, for the brush guard for the '02-'03 CR-V:

http://www.suvxccessory.com/xccessory/

look at the aries stuff, really nice looking! I am gonna get mine in a few months, as well as some rubberized floor mats to keep the snow and gunk out (Vermont winters suck!).

• Options
    alan90266alan90266 Member Posts: 2
    I am very interested in acquiring an '03 CR-V (primarily due to this discussion board). The only hesitation I have is with the vehicle's appearance, specifically the tires (which look much too small). Does anyone know if the Pilot wheel/tire combo (235/70-16 ???) would fit the CR-V (knowing that a shop would have to adjust the speedometer gearing)? Thanks in advance. Alan
  • Options
    jsillsjsills Member Posts: 6
    I've just purchased a 2003 CR-V EX (which I love, of course), and received a remote starter (made by Bulldog Security) for Christmas. Does anyone have experience with these? I'm just wondering if its caused any problems after it was installed. Thanks!
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Alan - The rims will probably fit, but I think the Pilot's tires would be too large for the wheel well.

FYI Most all Honda rims have the same bolt pattern, but the offset differs. You might have better luck going with the 16" rims and tire combination from the Element. Other alternatives include the factory rims from the Prelude and Ody.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,228
    Check out collegehillshonda.com. The Pilot wheels bolt right on and have the correct offset. One advantage to these over aftermarket wheels, is they are only 1/2 inch wider (6.5"), instead of 7". The proper size to keep the same rolling diameter with the 16" wheels is 215/60-16. I'm still debating whether to do this in the spring with my '02 CRV EX.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    djg4312djg4312 Member Posts: 9
    Anyone know of a good set of custom fit seat covers for 02-03 CRV? Does Honda offer any? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    I found a site which has some really nice aftermarket add-ons, and even coming from the other side of the world they are still reasonably priced.

http://www.shamsulauto.com/honda-crv-2002.htm

any feedback would be appreciated.
  • Options
    kanthnkanthn Member Posts: 4
    I have to pick up my living room furniture. The sofa is 9 feet long. This is the longest piece. The total weight of the furniture is around 700lbs. What is the best equipment to tow? Can the CRV EX (4WD) automatic pull a 6' X 10' trailer. I haven't installed the hitch yet. Any suggestions about the hitch and the trailer? Can I tow the furniture in an open trailer without causing any damage? The furniture store is about 90 miles one way. The store is charging $300 for delivery. That's the rub.
  • Options
    The Honda recommended limits are 1,000 lbs for a '97-'01 CR-V, and 1,500 lbs for an '02+. That's the weight of the trailer and what you put in the trailer.

Wouldn't it simpler to rent a U-Haul truck for the day? About $20/day plus fuel. Much cheaper than the cost of a tow hitch.

JM2C
  • Options
    mratlmratl Member Posts: 13
    I just purchased a 03 LX with nothing more than mud flaps and keyless entry.
    What's the feeling out there on the most worthwhile accessories to get first?
  • Options
    theracoon,

Yes. Renting a U-Haul truck is the other option. But it's not just $20/day and fuel. They charge additional $0.49/mile. I may end up paying $120 which is still cheaper than $300 the furniture store is going to charge me.

I was just exploring the possibility if I can tow the furniture with the 2003 CRV. If I can, I would rather get the hitch which will be useful in the future.
  • Options
    As long as combined the weight of the trailor and the furniture doesn't exceed the 1,500 lb limit (or at least doesn't exceed it by too much) you should be fine. Get a large heavyweight plastic tarp to cover the furniture if you use an open trailer to help keep the bugs and debris off your new furniture. Take some rope, too, as you don't want the tarp to blow off...or have the furniture fall off!

Good luck and take pictures to share here!
    :D
  • Options
    I would recommend buying and installing a Hidden Hitch and a wiring harness. Yes, the hitch will cost you $100 and a harness another 25+-, but you will then have it forever. Renting a Uhaul would be cheaper than the furniture movers, naturally, since you are making the labor your own. You would still have to rent a trailer, but that should be cheap. So you can spend $120 for a one time rental, or spend 150 for the hitch, harness, and trailer rental and have the equipment for the rest of the vehicle's life. You could also spend the extra $800 and then you'd have a trailer for ever, too.

Now, if you DO buy a hitch, don't bother with more than a 1.1/4" hitch, since the max allowable trailer hitch load is 100 lbs, regardless of how muich hauling capacity it has. Additionally, with a hitch you can also buy a bike rack which will fit into the hitch receiver, but that is another story...
  • Options
    ileongileong Member Posts: 5
    I found this URL for honda accessories, much less expensive then dealer prices (at least in California):

http://www.handa-accessories.com

I've already ordered a roof rack for my '03 crv,
    was $178, dealer wanted around $240, with shipping/sales tax still saved over $40.
  • Options
    mratlmratl Member Posts: 13
    Gary,
    Where can I find this Hidden Hitch you speak of and how easy is it to install?
  • Options
    cutedeedlecutedeedle Member Posts: 2
    I would like to get daytime running lights for my 2003 CR-V. Does anyone know of such a thing? I got them added to my Ford Escape by way of a parts kit and would feel better to have them on the Honda.
  • Options
    I got my hitch at www.hitch-web.com It came fairly quickly, and installation took about an hour. It bolts to the holes already in the frame, but they are a little too small, so I had to open them up a little with a hammer and chisle. It sounds bad, but trust me it isn't. Just make sure that you use the guide wires for the bolts which they include or else you will lose the bolt into the frame of the truck and hear rattling noises for ever and ever amen. Also, if you have an '02 the wiring harness can be simply snapped into the existing wiring at the rear lights, the connector is behind the rear speaker. I have an '03, and the speaker is in a different location than in the '02, so I had to splice it into the rear lights permanently. When not in use, the wires just sit under the carpeting in the rear. Make sure that you use LOKTITE or nylon inserts in the nuts, or else vibrations can cause the nuts to fall off and you to damage your truck while hauling (voice of experience).
  • Options
    Thanks for the information. I got the hith package intalled by U-Haul. The hitch, hitch bar, the hitch ball with installation and lifetime warranty came to $128.00 + tax. This is class I hitch. The maximum capacity is 2000lbs. But the recommended towing capacity for 03 CRV is only 1500 lbs. They adviced me to get the wiring harness from the Honda as 03 CRV comes pre-wired. I ordered the harness from honda-accessories.com. All put together it cost me about $185 for the hitch pkg. As per U-Haul folks 03 CRV can tow at the maximum a 5'x8' closed trailer. This will work out ok for me. I am going to pick up the furniture on Mar 1st. I will keep you guys posted on how it goes..
  • Options
    I hauled a 5x8 trailer from Atlanta to central Vermont with no problems, and this includes driving over mountains in North Carolina, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, and of course New England. Just please make sure to check the nuts on the hitch connection to the frame are lok-tited or have nylon washers so they dont work themselves loose.
  • Options
    Cutedeedle - I have a DRL kit for my '99 CR-V. Dunno if they make one specific for the 2002-03 models, but I'm guessing the kit is fairly universal.
  • Options
    insur_suvsinsur_suvs Member Posts: 19
    Have any of you installed the Honda "base carrier" (roof rack) yourself after purchasing an 02 or 03? If so, was the installation easy, and did you notice any increase in wind noise? I'm thinking of installing one in my 03 EX. Did have the fog lights and running boards installed a week after purchase, now I think the roof rack might just be a nice touch (might even increase resale value a little).
  • Options
    flatopflatop Member Posts: 3
    Anyone know of larger gas tank after market supplier for the'03 CRV?
  • Options
    jmolinskyjmolinsky Member Posts: 18
    As accessories, I got the roof rack, front mud flaps, cargo cover, and cargo tray and installed everything. The only thing that was a pain in the butt, was having to adjust the length of the bar as it was set to a width that was a little too short to ensure all the bolts went in straight. See the following link for directions to install the rack:

http://www.handaaccessories.com/crv/02CRVRACK.pdf

In fact, you can see the installation instructions for every add-on at this site and their prices are WAY cheaper than a dealership (even with shipping).

Good luck!
  • Options
    Thank you for the information! Did you notice any increase in wind noise after installing the roof rack?
  • Options
    lovecraftlovecraft Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,

Regarding the roof rack. I got mine from handaaccessories.com and installed it myself. I have noticed an increase in the amount of wind noise at highway speeds with it. Also if you are considering the roof rack it is probably a good idea to ask yourself what you are planing to do with it. When I have looked in to cargo boxes or roof baskets I have been discouraged from mounting them on the Honda factory rack. If you are looking to mount Honda accessories to it, go for it. If you have some specific ideas about what you want to mount up there you may be better off researching the gear before deciding on what rack. Honda seems to be creating a few more equipment options for the Element. I wonder if they will expand the accessories for the CR-V?

Good Luck
  • Options
    icvciicvci Member Posts: 1,031
    I know the wiper relay and stalk from a Mazda MPV can be put into a Protege so you can vary the wiper speed. The Accord has variable speed wipers, does anyone know if a similar switch can be made from Accord to CR-V?
  • Options
    clownpuncher24clownpuncher24 Member Posts: 3
    I have contacted Sam Ng of Shamsulauto about the cool foglights for the 2003-2003 Honda CRV. And this is what he responded:

Dear Dwayne,

Thank you for your prompt reply,
    We are please to quote you as below:

1. CRV 2002 - Fog Lamp with Chrome Cover Code No: HCF-019 - USD 165.00
    Shipping cost by air to USA is USD 64.32 - Arrive within 5 - 7 working days.
    Total amount: USD 229.32

Hope the price above will meet your kind consideration.
    Any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards and hope to hear from you soon.

Sam

Shamsul Auto Supply
    No: 370, Jalan 20,
    Taman Perindustrian Ehsan Jaya, Kepong,
    52100 Kuala Lumpur.
    Tel: 03-62776002, 62779082
    http://www.shamsulauto.com

Cost for the shipping is not that bad at all!!! He assures me that the foglights are OEM quality. Don't know about that since the aluminum garnish is sold with it. I am assuming they are aftermarket. But still, $229.32 USD is still better than $400+ crappy looking USDM foglights!!!

The Clownpuncher

P.S. They also got a lot of great OEM and aftermarket parts not sold in the U.S. Give them a try.
  • Options
    dsmallwooddsmallwood Member Posts: 1
    Is it true?

The Honda Nose Mask will not fit with the Body Side Cladding on 2003 CR-V?

This is funny because the picture they show has it installed with it?

Check it out.
    http://www.handa-accessories.com/crv/02crvfront.jpg
  • Options
    boslawboslaw Member Posts: 12
    I had the dealer install a fog light kit to my new CRV and I noticed that the fog light switch only lights up when the fog lights are actually turned on. Is this normal? All of the other switches (including the two right next to the fog light switch) are dimly illuminated when you turn on the headlights, so you can find the switch in the dark, and then get more brightly illuminated when the switch itself is turned on. Dealer says the foglight switch is not supposed to be illuminated until you turn it on.

Thanks
  • Options
    boslawboslaw Member Posts: 12
    does anyone know if the factory radio in a CRV EX has an AUX jack in the back? If it does, what's the easiest way to get at it? I'd like to run a cable for an mp3 player but I don't want to try taking apart the dash if the capability doesn't exist for this radio.

Thanks!
  • Options
    boslow,

I also had the Honda fog lights installed on my 03 EX; however, the fog light switch is illuminated when the headlights are turned on. Take yours back to the dealer to correct the problem.
  • Options
    je48je48 Member Posts: 2
    slugline you seem to have plenty of info on keyless entry fobs. in message 63 you write about keyfobs "a" "b" and "c". How do I find out which one I have. I lost the directions which came with my fobs and need to know how to get new instructions. any ideas?
  • Options
    sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    je48: In that message, I was helping someone who wanted to add another keyless remote to his car. I was using the labels "A" and "B" to represent the two fobs he already owned, and "C" to represent the new one he was adding. The actual remotes are identical (except for their transmitted codes, of course).

Tell us more about what you're trying to accomplish.
  • Options
    jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    Looking for a tow hitch that will fit the 02 cr-v I do not want to drill or having to take it to the dealer have any of you gotten one that you could recommend.
    Greetings from sunny Miami.
  • Options
    I got mine there. it installed without drilling, in holes which already exist in the frame. It uses the tow loop as a third support point, so it seems to me to be better supported than others which just use two points of contact. The PITA was the wiring harness, for me, but other people have had theirs done without a problem.
  • Options
    peachy1peachy1 Member Posts: 21
    i got mine w/o drilling also. 2" reciever from curt manufacturing. pretty good.
  • Options
    hawaiiguyhawaiiguy Member Posts: 11
    I have had it in my '96 Mazda Protege since early January 2003, and can state proudly that it has gotten 3 more miles per gallon (17.9%) and has also shown an improvement in power.

The only modification i've had to it was the installation of a K&N filter since 9/00, but have been disappointed since I felt no increase in power. I plan to install it on my next pay day period in the new '03 EX.

Now before anyone gets on my case, I have no affiliation with the company whatsoever.
  • Options
    sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    hawaiiguy: If +3 mpg was a 17.9% improvement, then you were getting less than 17 mpg out of your Protege before the Tornado. Are you sure those numbers are correct? If so, then I suspect something was mechanically wrong with the car or you spent a lot of time idling in gridlock.

Anyway, I haven't heard any stories of any really positive results from using this device on a CR-V, but maybe you'll be the first. Good luck!
  • Options
    On one of the other Honda internet message boards there was someone who posted mileage results before installing, with the Tornado, and after removing it in a Honda Element. Each test was for multiple tanks of fuel. While initially there appeared to be an improvement of 2-3 MPG with the Tornado, after removing it and running a few tanks of fuel the mileage was the same whether it was installed or removed. The person doing the testing returned it for a refund.
  • Options
    peachy1peachy1 Member Posts: 21
    has anyone done any modifications of their auto shift levers? i find the damn thing is always in my way whenever i wanna push a button on the radio... especially w/ the volume knob. thinking of shortening it by cutting it off... or maybe just making it come out straight from the dashboard. machining a piece of aluminum and installing that instead.
  • Options
    dalspotdalspot Member Posts: 3
    Anyone have any experience with removing the roof trim (garnish) on a 02/03 CR-V? We are traveling to FL on the autotrain, and if we can remove the roof trim (note - no roof RACK installed) we can then ship the V at the automobile rate and save ourselves $400.

Thought it was going to be a simple process of removing the bolts holding it down, but there apparently are clips that hold the black trim to the roof. Has anyone had experience in doing this - we're not sure how the clips are holding the black trim to the roof - I don't want to break them in trying to get it off.

Thanks!
  • Options
    tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    You can make any bike rack made to fit on a trailer hitch fit the CRV.Install the hitch
    receiver then get a piece of 1 and 1/4 inch telescoping tube available at HOME DEPOT or LOWES,
    insert the tube into the receiver and drill out
    a hole for the pin.Bolt the rack to the tube then cut off the excess.
  • Options
    luvmycrvluvmycrv Member Posts: 11
    I have been trying to find some good close-up photos of the front end of a 1999 CR-V EX so that I can check if mine is missing something. I bought it a week ago, a silver 1999 EX model, in great condition (had been a leased vehicle). However, the more I look at it head on, the more I wonder if there should be some kind of protective plate between the radiator and the front bumper. There is nothing to protect from small rocks or gravel or the snow that we in Canada will be getting in a few months' time. Somehow, it just looks "unfinished". I know I could ask the Honda dealer but I just wondered what anyone might say on this board. So far, I love my "new" vehicle. Traded in my 16-year-old, rusty Chrysler minivan that had been a lemon for perhaps 15 of its 16 years! So, my V feels like total luxury.
  • Options
    buddybluzbuddybluz Member Posts: 4
    Hi all! Just got my 2003 Honda 4WD EX and feel it's probably the best value I've ever gotten in a car and will probably last a long time. I want to keep it looking good.
    I was wondering if anyone had found any available door edge guards and/or seat covers for the 2003? With the side front airbags is it even advisable to use seat covers?
    Thanks for any help in advance.
  • Options
    buddybluzbuddybluz Member Posts: 4
    Please excuse my reply to my own post, but I realized there was another question I would like to ask. Can any owners list their recommended accessories? I don't do off the road but as mentioned I would like to protect the vehicle.
    These are some items I've looked at:

door edge guards (I did find some) are they worth it?
    The cargo tray or the cover
    The half nose cover or the bug shield
    Thanks for any help and suggestions.
  • Options
    It is not recommended to use seat covers with the side airbags. There is at lest one company (Katzkin, I think) which makes leather seats that will work with the airbags. I dunno about seat covers, though.