Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    hongwuhongwu Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the reply. Beside transmission fluid, is there any other type oil/fluid has to used Hyundai make?
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    I don't know about other fluids, except the any quality oil of the proper "rating" is OK. If you still have the owners manual, check it out.
  • Options
    newowner10newowner10 Member Posts: 227
    I hear a clicking that appears to come from the door, could be the fuse box but it seems to be in the center of the door. It sounds like a relay opening and closing. It can occur every 10 seconds sometimes. Other times it can go 10 minutes than click a couple of times than stop. It does not appear to have anything to do with hitting bumps. Has anyone else heard this in their Sonata?
  • Options
    homer14homer14 Member Posts: 1
    I just joined but I have the same problem on my 2002. I have replaced both low beams and now they both shoot a slit like beam at the bottom. The middle and top of the lens appears to be darkened down. Is it just an adjustment of the bulb that is required or have you found another answer.
  • Options
    targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    A few thoughts on this....if you replaced just the bulbs, well, they have key ways so the can be properly installed in only one way. The key ways are in the form of three tabs extending from the base of each bulb. These tabs correspond to key holes in the headlight assembly itself. The bulb can only be installed if each tab lines up to the proper "key-way" The spacing and size of these are what allow only proper installation. Proper installation allows the bulb to seat into the housing and the rubber O-ring to seal moisture out. If you did this properly then the reflector part of the headlight assembly appears to be damaged due to moisture (per your description) and has turned dark. There is NO way to repair this type of damage and replacement of the light assembly is necessary. These can be purchased from aftermarket vendors for much less than official Hyundai parts. Furhter there is no provision for any "adjustment" for the bulbs...only the entire housing can be adjusted slightly in a horizontal (side to side) and vertical ( up and down) way.
  • Options
    budhbudh Member Posts: 109
    Apologies from someone very unfamiliar with the "Add-A-Circuit" (mini size in my case - see http://www.littelfuse.com/data/en/Data_Sheets/FHM02FHA02.pdf - to be installed into a new Hyundai sedan) and how to install and use it.

1. Does the single red wire contain only the positive wire, or is somehow the ground wire also part of that red wire?

2. What kind of female connector is on the end of that red wire? And what kind of male connector is required to connect into it? What tools/supplies/directions would be needed for installing the right connectors needed?

I have a GPS unit and radar detector to hard wire and neither have the type of connector that would fit into the end of the red wire on the Add-A-Circuit.

Thanks in advance for any advice and assistance or even to be pointed in right direction for this information.

Bud H
  • Options
    otto65otto65 Member Posts: 2
    2007 Sonata, TMPS has been reset, parts replaced, now for the 6th time. 19000 miles on car. Dealer now wants the company enginer to come in an try to correct. Has any one had this much problem with the TMPS! Thanks. Otto65
  • Options
    papamikepapamike Member Posts: 1
    To Mr kcochran:

Were you able to solve your problem with the power locks on your 02 sonata? I have the same problem - doors will unlock with my remote but will not lock. Is there a faulty solenoid/sensor in the the driverside door?
  • Options
    craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    This happened on my 06. Turns out it was the door lock actuator. Happened on one door only though. ??
  • Options
    lmaxicklmaxick Member Posts: 46
    Call me stupid but what is a TMPS????
  • Options
    I am curious as to the reason you have already replaced sunvisors (both left and right) three times and still need a fourth. I have owned quite a few makes and models over the years and never once found the need to replace a sunvisor.....ever! Exactly what "problem" is Hyundai supposed to fix? Further, since the 2006 is the first of the current generation (2006-2010) whatever problem that may exist on a 2006 would have been a new problem, unless you have owned a prior generation Sonata and had similar problems. But, in any case four sunvisors go kapoot in 4 or 5 years? Strange and it prompts me to wonder what is happening .
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Actually it's TPMS = Tire Pressure Monitoring System

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_pressure_monitoring_system
  • Options
    kcochrankcochran Member Posts: 6
    papamike

Door lock problem was solved by the
    dealer installing a power lock new relay.

kcochran
  • Options
    rollingwoodsrollingwoods Member Posts: 9
    Just had a weird experience. As I pulled up to the curb to park my Sonata's engine cut out. Battery would turn engine over, but wouldn't start. After five minutes tried again, engine would barely start but coughed and shook and wouldn't go over about 500 rpms. Called AAA, by the time they got there (an hour) I tried one more time and the engine started fine. I drove it the ten miles home with no problem.

I was lucky I was only going 4-5 mph, since of course I lost the power steering etc. It's scary to think of it happening when on a freeway or something. Anyone else have this happen? Ideas? Never had any problems with the car before (44,000 miles).
  • Options
    rustumrustum Member Posts: 100
    Hi,
    I have 2001 Sonata GLS with 79k miles on it. Recently i have inspected vehicle at Firestone. He suggested me to change my rear wheel brakes immediately. He told me that i need to change brake pads, rotors and fluid as well. He is quoting around $470 to get done all these things. According to him, i have very minimal brakes on back wheels. Do i need to change immediately. Can some one suggest me cheaper alternates.
  • Options
    If don't know/trust this shop, you could get a 2nd opinion. But brakes are not something to put off. Has the brake fluid ever been changed? If so, how long ago? If they are the original rear brakes, it's quite possible they need work. You might ask if the rotors could just be resurfaced vs. replaced.
  • Options
    rustumrustum Member Posts: 100
    Hi Backy,
    Thanks for the reply. When i bought it has 57k miles on it. I have changed front wheel brake pads. Nothing done to either read wheel breaks or break fluid. I will check with other stores. Firestone is suggesting me to change read wheel brake pads, rotors and fluid for close to $480 which seems to me very high. Any other reasonable stores.
  • Options
    wolves310wolves310 Member Posts: 1
    the last 3 times i went to put gas in my car, i could not get it to fill up. the nozzle clicks like when you have a full tank of gas, but i know its empty. the guage is right, so i know its not the fuel filter. if i keep pumping after the nozzle clicks, the tank 'overflows'. i made sure the vent holes are clear and dont know any solution.
  • Options
    Have you tried different gas pumps? I had a car that did that but only at certain pumps. I use to turn the handle over and it worked fine. Possibly not placing the nozzle in all the way may help. It would have nothing do with the fuel filter unless you mean the "Fuel Tank" air filter. Do you here a whooshing noise when you take the cap off?
  • Options
    otto65otto65 Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem. Dealer replaced a vapor tank that had filled up with gas an corrected the problem. Apparently the blatter is only to take vapor, had allowed gas to come in. This was on my 2004 Sonata with less than 4000 miles. Had no problem after replacement.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    These problems can be caused by "over-filling" the tank.

Don't squeeze in every last drop. If the fuel pump has an auto shut off, stop fueling when it kicks off, don't force more fuel into the tank.
  • Options
    aps4aps4 Member Posts: 3
    This friday I was stuck in snow and had to be towed a few hundred meters. The tow truck lifted the front wheels up and pulled forward. Regular commercial tow truck company. The ABS & ESC lights came on from then. Any idea what could that be & how to correct it
  • Options
    FardFard Member Posts: 4
    Hello

I am just wondering if somebody knows a good mechanics for Hyundai (Sonata) in LI (maybe in Port Jefferson). I got few mechanics here but am not sure if they can provide a good diagnose for this car(which I bought last week). I would also like to buy a warranty if it is possible. It is 2001 and doesn't have any warranty.

Thank You
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You might check our Repair Shop Ratings & Review section. It's a fairly new feature, so please feel free to contribute any experiences you have!
  • Options
    bakesaleebakesalee Member Posts: 7
    I'd like to change the oil for the first time on a 2.4L 2003 Sonata. Anyone know what size the drain plug is? I need to buy that tool.
  • Options
    kcochrankcochran Member Posts: 6
    The drain plug on my Sonata is 17 mm. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    sonotuhsonotuh Member Posts: 9
    07 Sonata V6, 22K miles

Live in New England. A day or two after our heavy snow storms and lots of rain, I went to start the vehicle after it had been resting for almost 24 hours. The day before I had done a lot of driving through snow and slushy snow. The temps when I started the car were high 20's Fahrenheit.

I started to turn the key. The engine began to turn over, but before it made it all the way, there was a 4 - 5 second period of a loud thumping and bouncing sound coming from under the hood. The way I can describe it is imagine a 5 pound basketball bouncing around inside the engine and under the hood. I held the key in the start position during this, in shock and horror, and then the car started. That was a week ago and I've had no problems since.

Have service appointment scheduled for later this week. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks. Love these forums, I'm always lurking. :)
  • Options
    jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    A chunk of ice in the wrong spot comes immediately to mind. The dealer should be able to spot any damage.

Next time, you might consider aborting the start.
  • Options
    bkrambkram Member Posts: 1
    Looking for the fuse box on a 04 sonata - need to change the fuse for the rear window defroster.
  • Options
    nysniper28nysniper28 Member Posts: 18
    I don't Know about the rest of you but the Hancook tires (215/55-17) on my limited are absolutly horrible in the upstate NY winter weather. So I have been looking around to getting rim and winter tire package. I looked at TIRERACK.COM and was looking to go down to smaller rims (215/60-16) which is suggested. But they suggest the goodyear eagle ultra grip GW3 which is a "performance snow tire". I am close to buying this but was wondering if anybody had any other suggestions on a BETTER tire maybe that they have had experience with (and the best place to get them if possible)? Or another website that offers different winter tires and RIMS? Thanks!

(Also looking at the Blizzak WS 60)
  • Options
    Goodyear Assurance Triple tread. I put these on my 2002 Sable and it made all of the diference in the world. Before I purchased these tire the front tires would spin in the rain when I left a stop sign.
  • Options
    fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Goodyear Assurance Triple tread

I like thse tires as well. The only downside I've noticed is slightly higher road noise.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • Options
    azeradaveazeradave Member Posts: 42
    Has anyone had problems with Sonata sun visors? I had the driver's side replaced a few weeks ago because it would not "stay up". The dealer said it was a tension issue in the visor, and was replaced under warranty. Now I am waiting for the passenger side to be replaced. The service rep said this problem is common for this model...even with the new ones. I have a 2007.
  • Options
    clccjclccj Member Posts: 2
    I brought my 2006 Sonata (74K mi) into the dealer to check on a grinding noise. I am not the original owner, so I am beyond the warranty. They clam it is the flywheel in the transmission? Has anyone heard of this, and should this happen at this mileage???
  • Options
    clccjclccj Member Posts: 2
    I had this happen in my 2006 also, repaired under warranty.
  • Options
    chief15chief15 Member Posts: 15
    The right sun visor on my 2006 Sonata did the same thing. It was replaced under warranty. The service manager said they finally got a service bulletin on this problem, so it must be a common problem.
  • Options
    I wounder if there is a way to make the door not auto re-lock in my garage?

This is my story go out to the garage to get a book out of the car. Do not have my keys with me. Go back inside the house and get my keys off of the second floor. Head back to the garage and unlock car door. Get what I need and leave car unlocked. Hour later go back to return book to car doors are re-locked. Do not have key. Repeat above steps. I assume if you do not place keys in ignition car assumes you unlocked door by mistake so it re-locks them. Aggravation occurs
  • Options
    Newowner,
    I only notice this if I hit the remote to unlock the doors and don't open a door. As long as I open a door after hitting the unlock everything seems to stay unlocked. Not sure what is happening to yours.
  • Options
    What I've found is that some remotes, including those on two Elantras I've owned, are pretty sensitive on the lock button, so it is very easy to lock the car accidently just with a slight touch--even by putting the remote into my pocket can do it, or hanging it by the garage door where it can bump into another remote or the door trim or whatever. That might be what is happening to your car.
  • Options
    ken99ken99 Member Posts: 2
    Cooper Weathermaster ST2. I run these year round on my daily driver. True, I don't get the mileage out of these like I would on an all season. These even grip fairly good on packed ice without studding them.
  • Options
    Well at least it is not the "Panic" button. Talking about an annoying feature. They placed that opposite side of the trunk release. Squeeze the bottom button of the remote in the dark (At night) and the fun starts. You may be right about the key in the pocket as I was getting groceries out of my other car the parking lights would flash on my Sonata. Has anyone ever actually used the "Panic" button?
  • Options
    de1029de1029 Member Posts: 52
    Yeh, got another question. Where else to turn to?
    I WILL be looking through my maintenance / repair bills but I cannot remember the last time anything was done relating to the spark plugs and wires. I do remember rejecting getting them replaced due to the cost (because I had only recently lost my job and didn't want to spend the money) - that was at the end of 2005!. Cost for plugs, wires and that ever lovable hourly maintenace rate...came to about $500.00.
    Guessing worn out plugs affects mpg, right? Do wires HAVE to be replaced at the same time or is this another one of those things that we get hosed over...like twice a year dental cleanings for adults. Yeh...the dentist won't tell you that they are NOT needed!
    Do worn out plugs cause any other problems to the car's running?
    Ok...hit me with your best shots.
  • Options
    chief15chief15 Member Posts: 15
    The only time that I have used the Panic Button on my 2006 Sonata is when I forgot what row my car was parked in a parking lot, so I hit the Panic Button and then follow the sound to find my car. I've had to do this several times - old age, I guess.
  • Options
    ken99ken99 Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    The wires send the current to the plugs to create the spark. Faulty or defective wires can cause problems. When our shop replaces plugs (which can be a major expense) they always replace the wires. A small cost at the time, compared to the spark plug replacement, to increase power production. Power to the plugs. Why replace a burnt out bulb in a lamp if the wire is frayed causing a short or loss in transmission of the energy? The lamp will burn out again in a short time. Might as well replace/repair both at the same time. As they say..."pay me now or pay me (again) later".

BTW twice a year tooth cleanings are really not required as long as you do the preventative maintanence. Plug wires are like flossing. Kinda like X-rays. Every "few" years are ok.

Good luck!
  • Options
    This should be less than $220. $5 per plug ($20) wires $100 1 hour labor ($100)
  • Options
    unfortunately a plug (platinum) does not cost $5.00 per plug...especially at a dealership where experience (my Dodge dealer replacing plugs on a 1995 Stratus V-6) says more like $12-13.00 per plug X 4ea. or 6 ea. Wires could easily be more than $100 per set and as for 1 hour labor, well, most newer V-6 front drivers require removal of the intake manifold and associated parts to even acess the rear bank of plugs so this cost can easily exceed 1 hour labor ( going by the book ).
  • Options
    My 2009 I4 they are on top and I would not buy plugs and wires from a dealer. I believe you could go to a private garage and get it done for $200. I am sure you can get the Plugs for <$5 each unless Hyundai plugs are not supported by the plug manufactures. Wire set may be a dealer only item I have never checked. After market should be $60 if they are available.
    To be honest I have never gone to National Auto-parts or Advanced Auto-parts or Napa to see if they would laugh at me if I asked for Plugs and Wires for a Hyundai.
  • Options
    A 4 cylinder is a piece of cake compared to a transverse V-6 with all the plugs in a row and visable and yes one could probably get the plugs and wires (if applicable) changed for that hypothetical $200 even at the dealer but a V-6 is another matter. To clear up some misconceptions on your part Hyundai uses readily available name brand plugs directly from new, and no, I am not sure which brand (s) they currently use. Many of the newest cars use "coil on plug" ignitions systems eliminating the need for plug wires which is a good thing. Do not fear going to Advance, Auto Zone etc. and asking for plugs and wires and distributor caps and rotors (for those Hyundai cars that used them) because they are available for all brands including Hyundai. I see you have a 2009 so all you should need is plugs.... eventually, because I think a coil on plug system is standard on those.
  • Options
    I assumed the car he was referring to was a 2005 Hyundai Sonata that he received a $500 quote to do this at the dealer since this is a Sonata chat room. I may have wrongly assumed that it would be an I4.