Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Just to clear up any confusion, let's follow backy's suggestion.

MSRP?: Selling Price of new Car?: Amount of any applicable rebates?: Dealer fees, such as Doc fee?: (You've answered trade-in value at $4500, plus the $800 upside down): plus title and registration. All this should equal your OTD price.

Remember, while they gave more for your trade-in, they still had some value in that trade-in after paying off the note.

It all boils down to: what was the price of the car, before trade-in, taxes and registration. (Note, I did not say before Doc. fee since that is part of what the dealer is charging you for the car.)
  • Options
    geffengeffen Member Posts: 278
    I'm looking at a V6 Hyundai Sonata GLS the price the dealer is asking is $13,500 they have 2 in stock they both have about 30,000 miles on them, would this be a decent deal on a used Sonata? or should i go for new?
  • Options
    roypkroypk Member Posts: 8
    A dealer has to do a dealer exchange and need a $500 deposit as he does not have the car in stock. Is this a fair amount. Also; are there any risks in a dealer exchange that I should aware of.

What are your experience for buyers who went through a dealer exchange.

Thanks.
  • Options
    shiwalashiwala Member Posts: 18
    I would put down no more than $50-$100 using a credit card so you can dispute the charges if things go sour. The problem with your situation is they can come back and throw some b.s. at you about how it's going to cost all this extra money to get the car you want. You're in a large metro area so call around and see if someone else has the car you want.
  • Options
    rhduke00rhduke00 Member Posts: 129
    Hi geffin,

How good of a deal these two cars are depends on their options and their condition. Be aware that because these are used cars you don't get the remainder of the original power train warranty. You only get the remainder of 5 years 60,000 miles on the power train. I believe that the remainder of the original bumper to bumper (5 yr, 60,000 mi) still applies. I recommend before you buy either of these cars that you drive them over rough and bumpy pavement as some owners have reported suspension noises.

If you want a new 2007 V6, expect to pay about $4,000 more. A 2008 V6 will cost even more because you don't get the $2,500 rebate.

BTW, I own a 2006 GLS V6 and love the car.
  • Options
    geffengeffen Member Posts: 278
    Oh i thought the power train warranty carries over on used? however the 5 yr 60,000 mile warranty is better than nothing, I wanted to save some money by going used, were the suspension problems in the 06 ? or were they also in the 07 models? Both used 06's have the cloth seats and CD player seems like the standard equipment.
  • Options
    effect18effect18 Member Posts: 41
    Ok...

MSRP(window sticker): $26,395.00
    Selling Price: $25,763.17 (including sales tax)
    Sales Tax: $1,338.71
    Rebate: $3,000
    License and Reg: $171.00
    NJ Tire Tax Fee: $7.50
    Doc Fee: $289.00
    Down Payment: $3,000
    OTD: $23,230.67
    Amount Financed: $20,230.67
    Guess what, upon second glance at my contract, I see that they didn't penalize me for the trade in. It says that the car's gross allowance(money paid by the dealership) is 5,300, less the amount owing 5,300 equals a net trade in of 0(zero). So it looks like they didn't add the 800 to the top of my deal. Only thing they probably got away with was the Doc fee.
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    A little confused about your final price...shouldn't it been more like $19k? Or was the rebate taken out after all the other fees. Something doesn't seem to add up.

The Sandman :confuse:
  • Options
    rhduke00rhduke00 Member Posts: 129
    Available options for the 2006 GLS V6 were:

Sunroof
    Power driver's seat
    17" wheels

Believe the suspension noise cited by some owners were mainly with the 2006 and early 2007. I've not had that problem with my 2006 Sonata.

Also before you buy either of the used vehicles consult an owner's manual and make sure the dealer has done all the 30,000 mile scheduled maintenance.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Ok, now the picture is much clearer.

Selling price before rebates was $24,424.46 which is about $350 below invoice.

Sales tax of $1,338.71 @ 7% indicates you paid sales tax on $19,124.42. Add back the $5300 trade-in (because you get a sales tax exemption on the value of the trade-in) and you are back to the $24,424. So the numbers check out.

Then you have the $3,000 rebate (including owner loyalty?) for a price of $21,424 plus the $289 doc fee for a total paid to the dealer of $21,713. The rest of the charges went to the great state of NJ.

That was a good deal.
  • Options
    libertyherelibertyhere Member Posts: 12
    I'd like any thoughts on two 2007 Sonatas that we are considering buying. One is the 2007 Sonata GLS Auto 4 Cylinder with XM with the Premium Pkg (Option Group 2) for $15,800. The other is the 2007 Sonata SE Auto V6 (no XM) with the Preferred Pkg (Option Group 6) for $16,500. Given those prices, which one would you buy? They are basically the exact same car except one is V6. I don't care about the XM radio one way or the other and haven't used the steering wheel audio controls on my current car in the past 5 years so that's not a factor for me either.

Thanks!
  • Options
    joediejoedie Member Posts: 16
    In my opinion go for the V6. That is more important than any frills. I am so happy they did not have any 4 cylinders when I bought my V6. Unless you are going to do totally flat rural driving you need a V6 and you will be happy you didn't settle for 4.
  • Options
    robert1955robert1955 Member Posts: 39
    I had a 2006 4cyl as a rental for a month and while its ok as a motor for this car the 6 is a much better engine. I just bought a 2007 SE and it has the 6, I like driving it alot better than the 4cyl.
  • Options
    schandaischandai Member Posts: 10
    Personally I'd go with the GLS 4 cylinder. I bought one two months ago. It drives smooth as silk and it has plenty of power. Passing on highway is easy, and climbing mountain roads in the Smokies was effortless. Going around 65mph on interstate gave me an 35 MPG over two tankfuls, this was with 4 passengers and AC on.

I am sure the 6 cyl one would be even more peppy, but you will suffer 10% less MPG. Test drive yourself and see if 4-cyl power is enough for you. Another note, in the long run, they say the 4-cyl engine is more robust and easier to maintain.
  • Options
    rsd1rsd1 Member Posts: 4
    Today, i test drove 08 sonata gls base with automatic. Dealer(Fuccillo of NY) offered me a $259/month lease for 24 months with nothing down. This includes tax and no other fees involved. What do you guys think?
  • Options
    lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    One of the things to consider in choosing between the two is the timing belt/chain. I know the V6 has a timing chain, but think the I4 is still using the belt. Does someone have the latest info on this? Thanks, van
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The 2.4L I4 has a timing chain.
  • Options
    Backy (and all who have replied),
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Two more questions/concerns, the SE is what my husband really wants because he likes the look of the 17" alloy wheels plus the auto-dimming rear view mirror, compass, etc. He's a features guy. :) I'm more about the fuel economy and for me the 4-cyl GLS would be fine. But we are talking about the dealer asking only $700 more for the V6 SE (obviously a more powerful engine and the alloy wheels). My husband says that I would be dumb to pass up all the extra features for an extra $700. So I have two questions:

1. The dealer has 18" chrome alloys on the SE right now but will switch those out for the standard 17" alloys if we buy the car. Should I make a big deal about test driving an SE with the 17" wheels before I buy this car? Should I expect any negative ride impact from switching to the 17" wheels? The dealer does not want to switch out the wheels until after we buy the car. I just want to make sure that the change in wheels is not going to result in a less comfortable ride? It's my understanding that the 17" wheels should actually provide a better ride, is that correct?

2. The dealer has had this car on his lot since the end of last year. It has 56 miles on it. Should I be concerned about buying a car that has been sitting around the dealer's lot that long? Anything I should ask or double-check? The build date was July 2006 and dealer received it in November 2006. I'm guessing that it was just harder to sell once the newer 2007s came in because it doesn't have the XM radio, or the steering wheel audio controls.

Thanks again for all your help. I just don't want to make a decision that I will regret. I think I can live with the reduced gas mileage but I wanted to double-check these other concerns with you all. We are supposed to go and buy the car today so please answer as soon as possible. Thanks!
  • Options
    Oh, one more thing I forgot to ask. Which interior does everyone here prefer and why, the gray cloth with the metal/carbon accents or the beige cloth with the wood grain accents? Any difference in keeping them clean? Thanks again!
  • Options
    I'm sorry to keep bombarding you all with questions, but I just want to be prepared in advance. Does anyone think that buying the extended Hyundai warranty is necessary? If so, how much should I be willing to pay for it? What does the extended warranty cover that the standard warranty doesn't? Thanks again!
  • Options
    schandaischandai Member Posts: 10
    If you don't mind the reduced MPG, then it's not really an issue between 4&6 cyl. Although the $700 is really around $1000 because the XM itself. Even for $700, you get about 250 gal of gas or 15 tankfuls or 7000 miles of free gas.

If I were you, I'd mention the 56 miles, who knows, maybe the dealer will throw in a couple of free oil changes. As to the color, I'd go with the gray, especially if you have kids. Not sure about extended warranty. But for me the factory 5yr/60k bumper-to-bumper and 10yr/100k powertrain is more than enough.
  • Options
    robert1955robert1955 Member Posts: 39
    Having a 2007 SE V6 myself I say go for it. I would change out the 18" wheels for the 17" because it will ride better on the 17" wheels - not as harsh as the 18". With such an early build date make sure the rear suspension "knock" problem has been fixed - they need to replace the rear shocks. There is a TSB 06-01-011 that applied to early build 2007 Sonatas equipped with the 3.3L V6 engine that involved the replacement of both rear shock absorbers. I am avg 26.5mpg over the first 2,000 miles in a 70% highway driving mix.
  • Options
    I think it's a good idea for you and your husband to drive the car you are going to buy equipped as you will buy it, i.e. with the 17" wheels.

As for the age of the car, be sure to inspect it carefully for any body or interior damage, e.g. hail or door dings. Make sure they are taken care of before delivery. I agree about asking for a couple oil changes or whatever. If the car doesn't have mats ($85 option), ask for those to be thrown into the deal--you'll want them.

As for warranty, I think a lot depends on your tolerance for risk and how long you plan on keeping the car. If you can get a good price on the extended warranty (as in under $1000), I'd consider it. One benefit is that it's transferrable to the next owner, and it's 10/100k bumper to bumper. It used to be (maybe still is) that you could get the Hyundai extended warranty up to 1 year/12k miles after purchase. You might check with the dealer on that. If so, it lets you wait, which does no harm since you won't actually use that extended warranty for a few years (unless you sell the car).
  • Options
    Thanks -- very good advice and information. I appreciate it very much.
  • Options
    lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Good to know that,thanks, van :)
  • Options
    aek3aek3 Member Posts: 3
    Oh my goodness, how did you get the SE for 16,500 with an option pack??? I am in the final stage of buying the same car without #6 (actually no package) and I am paying 2K more. I went through the edmunds tmv etc. Great price!
  • Options
    vpateledmundsvpateledmunds Member Posts: 1
    Hi

I am in the proces of buying new sonota. Can you tell me the excat model of your car and also details of the financing.Is it auto or stic?

thnx.

vipul patel
  • Options
    lvdouwalvdouwa Member Posts: 1
    Tried my best to haggle with the dealer and got this final price, OTD 17k in MA (including 5% tax and doc fee).

Is this price good? Not many cars left to buy though. They provided VIN for the car and asked for deposit paid by credit card to hold the car. Does it sound normal?

And the dealer offers referral bonus, if anyone in Eastern Mass is interested, send email to lvdouwa@carspace.com
  • Options
    Dealer just really wanted to get rid of the SE apparently. They don't have many 07s left on their lot. I didn't end up buying it though (just couldn't deal with the beige interior that already looked dirty in every new Hyundai I've seen with that color). I've got kids and I just felt like I would regret that color choice for the interior. I'm still shopping...
  • Options
    jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    The 4 cyl is plenty capable for around town and im getting 34-35mpg on the highway and mid 20's in mixed driving with AC on. When i purchased my 4 cyl in June the dealer was not coming off as much on the 6 as the 4 due to current incentives which favored the 4 cyl GLS package at the time. Im very happy with the 4 but if the price difference was a close as your getting i would have probably moved to the 6cy just for the wheel package i preferred over the plastic hub cabs on they 4 cyl....Its your call and if MPG is not a big issue go for the 6...
  • Options
    jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    If you live in the DFW area you can get the an 07 SE for $16,500 just speak ton the internet sales manager at Allen Samuels Hyundai in fort worth...not many SE's left though so better hurry...the majority are Limited with a similar discount...i was up there yesterday and got that offer...
  • Options
    fatm1kefatm1ke Member Posts: 11
    Tysinger of Hampton, Virginia

07 Deepwater Blue Sonata SE, AT, moonroof + floormats

TMV Price, $21,519 (average price "other" people pay before rebate)

My invoice

$20,774
    +399 processing
    +635.19 VA sales tax (3.2 or so)
    +42.35 Dealer business license tax?
    +10.00 online systems fee
    +49.50 Title/License
    = $21,910.03

-2500 manf rebate
    -500 Hyundai financing rebate @ 6.65%
    -500 military discount

$18,410 OTD

Was planning on paying $17,500 OTD for a 07 Civic LE base model, glad I went with the Sonata, I love it.

Tysinger is a really good dealership, I went to Hall Hyundai and got the high pressure sales tactic and rude attitude while negotiating a price. They wanted $19,200 OTD and made me feel like I was trying to steal from them.

Make sure you get the Hyundai financing rebate + the $2500 cash rebate, Hall Hyundai said I couldn't get both.
  • Options
    yokeyyokey Member Posts: 4
    I bought a used ("program car") '06 GLS in May for $12,400. Clean as a whistle, 32K miles, cloth interior, sunroof, alloys etc. Nice car. Now I'm seeing hundreds of similar '06s listed for $16K and up. What's this all about? Should I sell mine and take some profit? But if I did, then what would I buy, I have to have a car. Maybe none of these are selling?
  • Options
    A few things:

* You see cars listed for $16k+. But... what are they selling for? Are these at dealers or private party? (You won't get a retail price for a private-party sale.) A new 2007 can be had for not much more than that. Who would buy a used 2006 at that price?

* What would you buy? What would give you comparable value for a little more than what you've paid for the Sonata? Would it be new or used? If used, would it be in as good a shape as yours? Also when you buy another car, you'll (probably) need to pay sales tax and other fees. Factor that into the equation. So if you can get, say $14k for your Sonata, you won't be able to afford another car much more than about $13k, depending on taxes/fees.
  • Options
    craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    Keep the car and be happy. I paid $14K for an 06 GLS like yours last year only mine had 13874 miles on it. You got a very good deal.
  • Options
    sliggsligg Member Posts: 109
    Fees:

Processing $399-wow, that is exorbitant.

Dealer Business License Tax $42.35-that's a new one, are dealers getting more desperate or more creative-which is it?

Online Systems Fee $10-nice sounding name.

Are these fees unique to Virginia and did you question any of them?
  • Options
    kaushalskaushals Member Posts: 2
    Went to the dealer today to see if they had any 2007 Sonatas left. He said they were all cleared out.

Before I left and without doing any negotiating he offered 3,000 off the sticker price for any 2008 Sonata model . I doubled checked with the manager and he confirmed and said the offer would stand until tomorrow.

I'm going back tommorow with my Pops. Is 3k off sticker for a brand new Sonata a good deal?....Should I push for more?
  • Options
    I'd push for more since the dealer so willingly offered $3000 off. You could try for example $4000 off sticker and see what they say. All they can say is "no". But they may say say "yes", in which case, you just bought a new car. If they let you walk out w/o following you, it's too low.

There's currently a $1000 general rebate and $500 loyalty rebate (if someone in your immediate family owns a Hyundai). If you qualify for only the general rebate (no loyalty, military, or graduate rebates) then that's a pretty good deal from the dealer, several hundred bucks under invoice. There may be some manufacturer-to-dealer incentives going on, allowing the dealer to sell way under invoice and still make a profit.
  • Options
    autokritikerautokritiker Member Posts: 65
    I'm looking to purchase a used 2006 LX or 2007 SE or Limited model within the next few months. Typical retail prices I've seen recently are:

'06 LX, 12K to 35K miles: $14K to $17K

'07 SE, 5K to 20K miles: $16K to $19K

Saw an '07 Limited with 8K miles, for $17K

My spending limit will be $16,000. Tax in CA is 8.25%, meaning the purchase price should be around $14,750 max, including any doc fees.

Has anyone gotten a good deal on a used '06 LX or '07 SE or Limited? If so, I would greatly appreciate any details you can share about your purchase.
  • Options
    "Processing $399-wow, that is exorbitant.

Dealer Business License Tax $42.35-that's a new one, are dealers getting more desperate or more creative-which is it?

Online Systems Fee $10-nice sounding name.

Are these fees unique to Virginia and did you question any of them?"

The online systems fee is pretty stupid, it was only $10 though. Dealer business tax? You got me there too, I didn't question anything though as long as my OTD price was still honored. I haggled the best I could to get one of the dealerships to get my OTD price to $19,000. Turned out I got the same rate for my loan through Hyundai as it was through my home bank, so I got an additional $500 off for that.

According to Edmunds the invoice price for the car is $21,408, the "what others are paying" price is $21,519. They charged me $20,774, so adding the processing fee's I'm still a couple hundred bucks under invoice. $225 under invoice + tax/title while taking advantage of $3,500 in rebates seemed like a good deal to me.
  • Options
    The tactic "this price will stand until tomorrow" is bogus. They're trying to make you feel like you're getting a special deal and want you to make a quick purchase. 3k off of sticker price may seem like a good deal, but it really depends on how inflated their sticker price is. Here's what you do.

Look around and find what model and features you want. Once you've picked out a car you want, go to edmunds.com and price the car in your zip code with the options you want. Doing this will give you the invoice price of the car, and the price other people are generally paying. For example

08 Sonata SE Auto Trans w/ floormats goes for $21,769 invoice, with the edmunds TMV price at $22,668

Subtract any rebates you qualify for and go from there. I'd set a goal of paying edmunds invoice price -rebates + tax/title. Contact dealerships by email/phone and see what they're offering. Most of the time you will get a otd price $1,500-$2,500 more than what it costs them. If you're happy with invoice + tax/title - rebates then give them that price, and say you won't buy unless they will meet it. If they don't, talk to a different dealership, see what they say. Once they know you're willing to buy the vehicle, the price being the only problem, they will meet your requirement, or they will get as close as they truly can. Once you get the price you want, don't be afraid to again call up their competitors and see if you can get another $100+ off or so, maybe some free oil changes, etc. That's up to you though, even when they seem like they won't budge, there's usually something more you can squeeze out of them :)

If the dealership gives you a guilt trip claiming they aren't making any money because you're getting the car for invoice and not paying any other fees - play them the worlds smallest violin. Dealers make money by getting those vehicles off the lot, holdback, inventives, etc..they're doing fine. The salesman may be disappointed because he's not making $1,000+ by selling you an overpriced vehicle, but F him, let him overcharge someone who is willing to pay more for having their asses kissed. Don't be afraid to walk out, 9 times out of 10 if you can't work out a deal they will call you back offering you a lower price. Just don't rush a purchase.
  • Options
    idiomidiom Member Posts: 16
    I got today 2008 Sonata GLS xm 2.4L for 14800. OTD was 16992$. I got also exterior&interior protection pack. Fairfax, VA
    How good i did? :confuse:
  • Options
    craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    "Once you get the price you want, don't be afraid to again call up their competitors and see if you can get another $100+ off "

I have to disagree with this. Being in the car business if they meet your price and you told them you would buy at that price you darn well better buy. That's the way it should work. I guess in a perfect world that's how it should work. But why not mess with the car guys?
  • Options
    chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    Well sort of.
    In my mind in a perfect world when you go to the dealership there wouldn't be any games. When you go in to the finance office they wouldn't try to sell you "mop and glow" over priced warranties. etc.
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    There is nothing wrong with selling those add ons in the F&I office. Some people want them and you can always say no. Just as long as they are not deceptive about it its ok in my book.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    Your right...there is nothing deceptive about selling $10.00 worth of car polish as a $250.00 protection package. Some dealers include this on the extra sticker.
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    As long as they don't misrepresent it, what it does or your need for it. As long as its disclosed and as long as you can say no its not deceptive.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    joediejoedie Member Posts: 16
    Don't feel guilty guys. Get the best deal you can. God knows the dealerships play enough games and tactics to throw the average person off. I wouldn't feel guilty in the least to get the best possible deal. It works both ways.
  • Options
    kaushalskaushals Member Posts: 2
    I thinks that's really good advice fatm1ke.

I actually ending up purchasing the car b4 you posted however I did do some of things that you mentioned.

Here's a quick rundown of my deal for the sake of others.

I purchased a new 2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS V4 A/T Black with Popular Equipment package.

MSRP: $20,195
    Invoice: $19,350
    TMV: $19,369

+ taxes, titles & fees.

So the total OTD Invoice/TMV price was close to 20,500 if my calculatoions are correct.

I ended up paying $17,000 OTD (I received 750$ on trade in on a very very beat up 95 Nissan Sentra --- I was really happy with that value --- the car was in horrid shape)

I feel like I got a pretty good deal.

I put 5000 dollars down and financed 12k at 6.85% rate for 6 years.

My monthly payment is $204.
  • Options
    idiomidiom Member Posts: 16
    Good deal. But i did better - 16431:)
    Only thing i'm not sure if i did right by paying 499 for interior & exterior armoring. They said it GREAT thing.
    BUT it's worthed. I love it!