Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Are all the insults, and all this anger against a dealership that is in business to make money, really necessary?

I won't bore you or others here with my resume, but I will give you this one little piece of advice, then I wish you best of luck in finding the World's Best Deal on a Sonata: take the emotion out of it. And try treating people, including car dealers, more civilly, and I think you'll find the car-buying experience more pleasant. Just because someone isn't willing to sell a car to you for way under their cost doesn't necessarily mean they are preying on you.
  • Options
    eadeheadeh Member Posts: 1
    Wow, here I thought I was getting a good deal until reading many posts with much lower prices. I have a few price quotes from the same dealer, and I have no idea if I am getting ripped off or not.

I have a 2001 dodge stratus es that is extremely beat up with 73,000 miles.

I could have got my sonota automatic gls with the premier package for $17,800 which includes the $2000 rebate, so there would be no zero percent financing. They offered me $4 K for my car which would have brougt the financing down to $13,500 (with the trade in tax) over four years.

When it's all said and done, I can get the car for $325 per month over for years at a 6.9 interest rate with leather seats installed. That price is my trade in. Any advice would b e appreciated on how much I should pay. BTW sales tax is 9 percent in chicago.
  • Options
    chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    Well - it looks like some people have crossed over from the "Sales Stories" board.

We all know as it gets in to the end of the model year - it is very conceivable to by a car below invoice. The manufacturers give allowances both on a per - unit and total sales volume. This is common knowledge and I am not a car sales person.

While a deal like this will turn out out be a "skinny" for a sales person, it won't make the "Sales Stories" board either.

But if both parties know what the numbers are, it (the deal) can be wrapped up in a very short time!
  • Options
    twltwl Member Posts: 19
    Sounds like a great deal. It could be a good fit for my daughter. Do you mind disclose the dealer you dealled with? (Hope it is near Houston area. :) ) Thanks.
  • Options
    colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    I would consider you review Backy's over 11,000 posts on Edmunds.com forums. He is one of the most informed, and objective, posters in these forums, especially when it comes to buying or leasing a vehicle.
  • Options
    colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    The best time period - bar none - to buy a new car is the last two weeks of December, especially the week between Christmas and New Years day. Not only is there practically no foot traffic in showrooms due to everyone blowing their budget for Christmas, the dealer is trying to make their month-end and year-end sales quota. An absolute super time to buy a new car, regardless of make.
  • Options
    hyusubiesaleshyusubiesales Member Posts: 3
    14,900 + fees would be a deal at my dealership, of course, i am in california, fancy a nice california vacation for your new car purchase??? :shades:
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    1) Dealerships are free to price their vehicles however they want. You are free to pay it, offer less, go somewhere else, etc, etc.. Unless the dealer is dishonest in his dealings, that isn't predatory, or even unethical. If the customer decides the offer is non-competitive, they can vote with their feet.

2) Someone that disagrees with your point of view does not have to be a salesperson or a dealership employee. They also don't deserve to be berated about their opinions. If you disagree, that's fine, but personal comments are not welcome on this board.

Now, back to Prices Paid, or I'll have to get out the big stick..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

P.S.: Comments about this post are neither encouraged or welcome, whether you agree or not.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    joediejoedie Member Posts: 16
    Some dealerships tactics are unethical. Very confusing and misleading. There needs to be some reforms to protect the consumer.
  • Options
    When you run across unethical behavior by someone at a dealership, report it, e.g. to your state's attorney general and/or the Better Business Bureau (most dealers are members). And also to the manufacturer, which can put big penalties on misbehaving dealers.
  • Options
    marketmarket Member Posts: 6
    Would you mind telling me the dealership in texas, where you brought it from. I am from ohio, and will be travelling to texas, Dallas suburb, next week. If the dealership is closer I might even buy it from them. Also would they be willing to give the car without financing if cash is paid in full, 14100.

Thank you,
    pk.
  • Options
    t_p99t_p99 Member Posts: 1
    Thank you all for the great contribution to this forum. It really helped me to make my purchase price decision.

I bought 2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A) with Steel Gray color in MD.

Base MSRP=$18295
    + 04 Option Group 04 Premium-Sport Package=$1785
    + Carpeted floor Mats = $85
    Total MSRP: $20730
    Dealer Sell Price (includes freight,delear process etc.): $18517
    - Consumer Rebate: 2000
    - College Rebate:  400
    - HMFC Rebate: 500
    + Tax 5% = 925
    + Tag = 186
    Price after rebate and before tax/tag=%15517
    Price On the road= $16728

The price also includes delear installed options, pin stripe, door edge, and some value book. But, I don't count them on much.

Thank you all.

tp
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing. That is a more realistic price. I am on a mission to protect consumers who are not so savvy and prepared when they go into a dealership. It's ridiculous to state a certain price in advertising and you go to the dealership and you come out with a quote 10 thousand higher with all the hidden costs and financing. Or advertising a very low price per month and the it is because it is balloon financing and end up with paying ten thousand or losing a lot of money in three years.
  • Options
    worldlyworldly Member Posts: 23
    QUOTE FROM hyusubiesales, "14,900 + fees would be a deal at my dealership, of course, i am in california, fancy a nice california vacation for your new car purchase???"

I can't accept your deal because it's too good of a bargain! According to the so-called "experts" here, I need to overpay and accept uncompetitive offers to allow unscrupulous and predatory car dealers to stay in business.

For what's it's worth, the same dealer that gave me the ridiculous, predatory counter-offer ($16,500+TTL) ran an ad in the local newspaper (July 29, 2007) for the same vehicle for $14,999+TTL.

But, according to the "expert," I should treat this dealer civilly even though they obviously attempted to rip me off.
  • Options
    fwalletsfwallets Member Posts: 7
    It's

Garlyn Shelton Hyundai in Bryan/College Station. I don't think you can get it $ 14,000 if you pay cash, as the deal included $ 1,000 extra HMFC balloon financing rebate.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    Well.. you can paraphrase our posts to say just about anything you want, but not one poster stated any of those things..

No one suggested that you should pay more than the going rate. No one suggested that you should buy from a dealer that has high prices.

We did suggest that dealers can ask whatever they want for their goods. That isn't unethical. These aren't life neccessities that can't be acquired in any other manner. You are free to buy the same car from another dealer, or even another car altogether. If a dealer consistently gets beat on price, then he'll be out of business eventually.

I'm not sure why you are so angry. According to your own posts, no dealer has done anything but quote you a price that you don't like.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    worldlyworldly Member Posts: 23
    Exactly who is angry? Why do you say I'm angry?

The title of this forum is "Prices Paid: Buying and Leasing Experiences"

I articulated my "experience." My opinion was clear and to the point. I believe many dealers are predatory in their pricing and sales tactics, and I provided data to support my opinion. I did this for the benefit of the forum and less-savvy, car-buying public.

Do I need to remind you that car dealers, in general, have an extremely poor track record when it comes to ethical sales conduct? MSNBC, an industry leader in revealing unethical and illegal conduct, reported this fact using their hidden cameras.(http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3660557/)

If you detect any anger, it's my anger at an industry that's all too often unethical and predatory. My experience confirms it, and I feel duty-bound to report it publicly.

One of the posters attempted to denigrate my opinion using misinformation. He/she attempted to justify a dealer's counter-offer as non-predatory and ethical.

True, I should have been less harsh, and withheld opinions that were personal in nature. Point well taken.

However, you, in fairness, need to reprimand all posters equally. The poster in question was also "personal" in his/her attack of my opinion.

Respectfully,

worldly
  • Options
    alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    I read that ad as well and while it showed $14,999.00 the fine print also mentioned the $500.00 bonus cash (finance through Hyundai) and $500.00 military discount, without those additional rebates price should be $15,999.00.
  • Options
    craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    Backy I've/we've got your back (no pun intended).

Buyers....make your best deal and own it. If you don't feel comfortable then don't bring it home and park it in your garage. But if you do, don't come here and complain because you weren't an informed shopper or too lazy to drive the extra mile. Target sells a bath towel for $10.00 and ____-wart offers the same towel for $5.00. Ooops I paid too much for my towel...shame on me...but it still dries me off so oh well. If you don't like the offer presented to you buy elsewhere. This is STILL and always will be America. Free enterprise and we ARE all still driven by the almighty $$.
  • Options
    bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    If I was a car salesman, and someone came in demanding things, I wouldn't even want the sale. Customers like that are not worth a few hundred bucks profit in the long run.

When I bought my 06 Sonata, I paid about $200 more than the best price I had seen on this exact forum. I was polite to the sales lady, told her what I was willing to pay, and after 10 minutes of back-and-forth, her sales manager OK'd it. I may have been able to talk them down another $100, but it was easily worth $200 to keep things cordial and stress-free. That was the best buying experience, and best deal, I have ever had. When I take my car in for service, I still stop in and say hello to my sales lady. That's the way it's supposed to work.
  • Options
    I don't have any problem with American free enterprise. I have a problem with deceptive advertising and selling practices. That is pretty easy to understand. When all the hidden costs and they won't let you figure it all out or the price quoted in the pare is always for enticing customers but there never is a car in sight like the one in the ad and he actual price with all costs is usually ten thousand more than what the price started out at in the paper, that is not good customer relations. Sorry that i expect better and more respect and don't insult my intelligence.
  • Options
    There is a way to avoid the hassle associated with negotiating. Go to a no-haggle dealership. Those I've visited in my area were pleasant to deal with, because you pay the same price anyone else would pay for the same car, at a given time. The only negotiating is over the trade-in, if you have one. (And I suppose you can negotiate over add-ons and extended warranty if you want to.) The downside is that you may not get the lowest possible price, compared to checking many dealerships and being a skilled negotiator.
  • Options
    godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    If not "angry" you certainly have an "attitude" to this bystander!..... backy was quite diplomatic in his response to you; more than I would have been! The moderator has been too. Please take the hint....

PS Wonder if my MBA meets with your approval!... :)
  • Options
    the one in the ad and he actual price with all costs is usually ten thousand more than what the price started out at in the paper, that is not good customer relations.

All those sleazy tactics they pull are not the salesmen's fault. They're perpetuated by uneducated customers that fail to do the research.

That nonsense shouldn't even be discussed. Just dispense with it, it's a waste of time. It only causes stress and hard feelings.

Walk in knowing what you will pay for a given car with given options. That's what Edmunds is for.

Tell them you would like to drive a car home as soon as they can prep it. Let them know right up front that you know exactly what you want, and the price you are willing to pay. If they mention this deal or that deal, this add-on or that add-on, just smile and tell them that's not what you want. If they refuse, and you aren't willing to offer them $100-$200 more, then thank them and ask them to call you if they need a sale. That will usually fetch a "WAIT!!" :)
  • Options
    fourbirdsfourbirds Member Posts: 2
    We bought a 2007 Sonata GLS automatic in Denver Monday at the following cost:

$19,180 sticker price
    negotiated to:
    $17,550 including destination/handling/plates/etc.
    -$2000 cash back rebate

$15550 final price + tax

Paid in cash
    The dealer showed us their invoice for the exact car, including hold back, destination, all the details. At first, he wouldn't go below the price minus holdback and destination (turned out to be $18,074), but brought it down a little to $17,550 eventually to the argument that the car has depreciated because it is effectively one year old. I believe the date of delivery on the invoice was April 2007.

We came in asking for a manual (for the price difference), but were told there were none left in the state and would have to order it from another dealer if we really wanted it. Apparently they didn't make too many like that.

Our saleswoman was new, very honest and nice. Car purchased from Shortline Hyundai in Aurora.
  • Options
    Do you remember if the invoice the dealer showed you included a specific "advertising" fee? That shows up sometimes on dealer invoices and adds seveal hundred dollars to the invoice price. It isn't included in invoices published by sources like Edmunds.com.
  • Options
    Something interesting... in CA, there's no loyalty rebate on the 2007 Sonata, but the general rebate on the 2008s is $1000 vs. $500 in other states. I didn't check all states to see if the rebates vary elsewhere.
  • Options
    psorterpsorter Member Posts: 89
    Yea, seems like the loyalty rebate is only valid in the northeast, where I am located (as far as I can tell)
  • Options
    Also Midwest (at least in MN).
  • Options
    fourbirdsfourbirds Member Posts: 2
    Yes, there was an advertising fee. I don't recall the exact amount, but I think it was small, about $150.
  • Options
    gklibornegkliborne Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for this link. I am looking at getting a 2007 SE by the end of the month and I have been all over the Internet trying to find out what a good price would be.
  • Options
    It is impossible to find a price on the internet because there are so many hidden costs. Rule number one: Never buy a car on the first visit to a dealership.
  • Options
    psorterpsorter Member Posts: 89
    Sticker price -$1500 - rebates is a good price.
  • Options
    Rule number one: Never buy a car on the first visit to a dealership.

If you know what people are paying for the exact car and options you want, you can safely bypass that rule.
  • Options
    vabearvabear Member Posts: 18
    Consumers Guide (available at libraries) has the dealer cost for the car as well as options. What you need to negotiate is those tricky processing fees, pin striping,and other non-necessary dealer money makers (fabric saver, paint sealant,etc). Extended warranties are available on line or through most credit unions.
  • Options
    Consumers Guide (available at libraries) has the dealer cost for the car as well as options. What you need to negotiate is those tricky processing fees, pin striping,and other non-necessary dealer money makers (fabric saver, paint sealant,etc). Extended warranties are available on line or through most credit unions.

Those tend to be somewhat dated. You can get the latest prices paid, and best deals, right here on Edmunds.

There's no need to "negotiate" the price of the dealer money makers. Just tell them no thank you... unless you think paint sealant and fabric treatment are really worth something. In that case, the buyer is beyond help. :)
  • Options
    marie_martinmarie_martin Member Posts: 1
    We were looking for a 2007 Sonata SE because from what I have read, I should go for the v-6 but I could not afford the LTD version. Well I contacted a lot and they have two LTD's and have really tried everythig to get me into one. I really would love to have one but I just have a limited income so I have to weigh out what I need and what I don't. Anyway, they only have the two LTD's and they are loaded with the platinum package. They are down to $24K and some change and that is before TTL. Then they take of the $2500 rebate. So for $395 a mo. for 6 years and 3 mo. I can drive the maxed out version. But I just don't want to stress myself out over making more payment than I can afford. I know that does not sound high to some but I live in a very rural area in Mississippi and incomes here are much lower than most. Anyway, I think I am going to pass and look for an ES. I am going to go back and read some previous posts but i just got one offer on an ES of $18,800. Is that a good initial offer? Should I even try to get them to come down? What is reasonable for me to counter with. I don't want to say I can pay a certain amount a month and end up paying too much. I know I am suppose to concentrate on the bottom line. The problem is my trade in. I was leasing a nissan frontier and according to nissan, I am right on track with what is owed, but everyone else thinks I am a bit upside down. I don't want to lose my skin in this. Thanks for any advice.

Marie
  • Options
    That's what I mean you are up to over 24K. Where is the low price vehicle they advertise to mislead people to be bated and come in? For the same price I have a fully loaded V6 powerful engine SUV with Onstar. Those payments are too high for a sonata. I have zero % and less payments per month for five years, a shoter time. Don't bite.
  • Options
    Look at the Saturn above. 17.000 "starting price, BUT the one shown over 21,000 plus ttl. what a rip off. And the 21000 does not even have floor mats!
  • Options
    craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    Marie,
    Please don't bite off more than you can chew. If you do, with late payments, past due bills to make a car payment will hurt you in the long run.

I drive an 06 4 cyl and I am very happy with it. It is quick, fast and has more horsepower than my V6 Mustang. I think you should reconsider the 4 cyl and by all means don't let a car salesman put you into more than you can afford. I might also offer a 75 month loan means you will be paying for this Sonata for a long time. That is a scary thought. Don't be afraid to tell them what you feel you can comfortably afford payment wise.

Good luck in your search.
  • Options
    tdbaileytdbailey Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Sonata at Richmond Hyundai in Richmond, Indiana. They destroyed the local Dayton area dealers prices. My 07 Sonata GLS was $1000 under true factory invoice. Plus all the rebates off. No hassle, very easy to deal with. They did try to make a little money in the finance office, but I just went through my credit union to bypass that. I hate that I can't mention the salesman, he was very, very knowledgable and easy to deal with and actually called me after I bought the car! His name is James (sorry couldn't resist) it was the best experience I've ever had, but did have to drive 40 miles that's the only negative (but if everyone treated you well you wouldn't have to drive, so it's worth it)
  • Options
    atlbuyeratlbuyer Member Posts: 16
    Hi all...I'm looking at the 07 Sonata SE/XM and preferred pkg option 06 (power seat, compass) plus floor mats. I'm using Towne Hyundai's internet pricing to give me a range of what I should pay. Right now they sell for $4300 under invoice. Does anyone know if Towne charges doc fees and how much? A good price seems to be $17210 plus tax/title/etc. However, one dealer has the SE/XM with leather (i guess dealer installed isince it is not usually offered?). Anyway, how much do you think that leather is worth. I wouldn't mind it, but don't want to overpay for it!
  • Options
    alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Not sure how far you are from Decatur Alabama but you might want to check there as well and I agree with the other poster that you definitely should try the four cylinder model as you don't want to get something that will cause a financial burden for such a long time.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Towne Hyundai's doc fee is $189, unless it has changed in the last 2 months (which is doubtful).

Towne Hyudai was great to deal with. Personally, I'd keep away from after market leather seats. I don't recall the actual numbers but you could get into the Limited, which includes factory leather plus other features not in the SE for something like $2K (+/-). Check the invoice prices here on Edmunds.

Towne's "under invoice pricing" applies to any in-stock vehicle , regardless of trim-line or options.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. Would you stay away from after market leather b/c of quality, or is it not covered under warranty? I will probably go with SE/XM and cloth (plus floor mats).
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Can't say about the quality without having seen the actual car.
    However, the cost for a quality leather conversion would likely be in the price range of upgrading to the Limited. The Limited's invoice price is $1647 higher than the SE's invoice (both w/XM).

Plus you would have an odd-ball car. If you were to sell it in 5 years, you know the Limited will be worth more than the SE, you don't know IF leather in an SE would add anything to the 5 year old SE's value. My guess is it would not.

The SE/XM (cloth) and floor mats is what we bought. No complaints, it's been great.
  • Options
    t_good22t_good22 Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to find a good price to pay for a 2007 Sonata SE in the Cleveland, Ohio area. I am willing to drive a couple of hours for a good deal. I don't care about any extra options. Does anyone have any advice regarding a price to settle on? I know I can get $2500 off in rebates and another $500 off using Hyundai's financing, but I am having trouble trying to find a baseline to start negotiations. Also seeing as the 08's are taking over the lots do I have a better bargaining power. It seems everyone here has a good idea as to what is going on.
  • Options
    I agree, the cloth looks fine to me. When did you buy and what state did you buy in? How much did you end up getting it for?
  • Options
    gklibornegkliborne Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys and gals, I test drove a limited today and I really liked that car! After reading the posts here it seems I should be able to get it for 19.5k + the Ultimate option package, so I should ask for about $21,000, plus I keep the rebate. Does this amount seem right? I don't want to start off negotiations with an insane offer.