Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    You're guess is as good as mine. I have nothing to do with the car business. However, since the '08's are already on some dealer lots, I would expect that the rebates on '07's will improve, certainly shouldn't have less of a rebate.
  • Options
    prince11prince11 Member Posts: 5
    I think the price I got was about average. If you look at Towne Hyundai internet pricing, they sell the 2007 Sonata for $1500 below invoice (before rebate) or $3500 below invoice after the $2000 rebate. The invoice on the car I bought is about $800 below MSRP. That would mean that Towne discounts the car about $2300 under MSRP before rebate. I got the price for $2280 under MSRP (about the same as Towne's internet pricing). If you add the $2000 rebate, then the car sells for about $4300 under MSRP. If you do the balloon financing, you can get an extra $1500 rebate ($3500 rebate total). Then the car sells for about $5800 under MSRP. These prices are for the base, auto model. Higher priced models sell for a higher discount off of MSRP, of course.
  • Options
    Are you looking at the 2008 pricing to arrive at the $800 difference between invoice and msrp for a base model A/T?

When we bought in February, Towne's price was $1900 under invoice and we qualified for owner loyalty $500 plus $2,000 other rebates for $4400 under invoice. MSRP was $22,080 (SE w/ XM). Our price was $16,651, $5449 under MSRP. Invoice was $21,051 about $1030 below MSRP. But that was Feb. when Towne Hyundai was selling at $1900 under invoice, not the $1500 of today. Don't be surprized if the discount is increased in July.

In either case, it's a great car at a great price.
  • Options
    email_meemail_me Member Posts: 4
    Is the balloon finance option available only in Texas?
  • Options
    I don't know about balloon financing--it's not available in CT or NJ that I know of.

I think I read on Edmunds, a while back, that TX has a law about leasing vehicles and that balloon financing is a way to comply with the law while offering roughly the same payments as one would make on a lease.
  • Options
    joywhitjoywhit Member Posts: 5
    Wanted to add my 'deal' as this forum is such a wonderful help to those of us who only do this once every 15 years.
    Champion Hyundai in Houston gave us the best deal - OTD was 23k even for a Sonata Limited Platinum edition with black leather. Sticker was 26.3k so that makes the car about 21.4k before tt&l. With terrible credit we had to pay 9.5% on a 72 month deal but hope to refinance in a few months.
    With 112 miles under my belt, couldn't be happier.
  • Options
    doublewin2003doublewin2003 Member Posts: 2
    I am close to towne hyundai. but just put down by globalhyundai. is the balloon finance available of NJ? and how to apply this finance?
    Thanks
  • Options
    jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    My Balloon payment is set at
    4.2%
    24 months
    $13,900 Financed
    $174/month
  • Options
    I asked that question to the finance manager and was told I could NOT pay off the note until the last or 24th payment. I guess they want to recoop some of the $1,500 for using the balloon option in finance charges....
  • Options
    is it possible that you might have been upside down on your trade? I would have asked why the car was costing more than the number agreed to....i bet it was your trade....
  • Options
    I would expect the rebates to at least stay the same and maybe increase. My wife really luv the Sonata we purchased a week ago and i was thinking of buying one to replace my vibe. Ive gone to several dealers in the area to see whats on the lot.

There are many many 07' V6 Sonatas on the lots and only very few I4 with one dealer sold out of I4's. The Sonata I4 is a real bargain and on the highway we are getting over 30MPG.

Anyway im expecting rebates to remain or increase after july 2nd as all dealers have 08's on the lot i went too....
  • Options
    thats correct and about what they took of my 07 gls from vandergriff in arlington, texas. Ive realized people have to do their homework or you will not get a good deal at any dealer. They now real fast if a consumer knows or if they can just throw numbers at you or ask what payment you want...then finagle the numbers in their favor to fit your payment....yeah you might get your payment but it could be for 72 months, so watch out....
  • Options
    neo_neo_ Member Posts: 14
    I am getting a 17257 + TTL on a 2007 GLS with premium sport package and floor mats from Arrow.. looks like ppl are getting better deals in other cities.. What r ppl getting in Milwaukee??
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Are the prices of the '08 models going up across the board or are only the 6 cylinders prices rising? I'd personally wait for an '08 model now as there will be certain "tweaks" done to the cars. I've heard that the seat fabric has been changed. Anyone else know of the other changes?

The Sandman :)
  • Options
    hawadohawado Member Posts: 1
    Fitz is bargainable with a written price quote for another deal. I'd avoid them. Much easier is to check out Antwerpen Hyundai in suburban Baltimore. Their Internet prices are actually real. Here is the deal I got with no bargaining on June 23, 2007

Hyundai Sonata GLS with mats:

$14,400 (including $2,000 rebate and $650 destination fee)
    $100 dealer processing
    $20 electronic desintation fee
    $4 tire recycling fee
    $825 MD sales tax
    $10 registration fee
    $23 title fee

Total out the door: $15,402 I chose 0% APR for 36 months rather than the $2,000 rebate so actual out the door was $17,402
  • Options
    marketmarket Member Posts: 6
    could u please tell me where the dealership is? i am willing to travel, and looking to buy a sonata?
  • Options
    Fortunately for my father i went with him to make a purchase of a Sonata. I had done my research here and new pretty much what to pay for the model he wanted. He decided to go to Randal Noe Hyundai, ford, chyrsler, jeep in Terrell, Texas.

The prices as always looked good in the paper until ya get to the store. I was just telling him numbers and letting him do his negotiations. We thought the dealer had come down to a fair price...then sent another person that runs the numbers down to talk. He said he would have to ADD onto the bottom price $995 for tint/pin stripping and $750 for Road Side Assistance. I told the guy that Hyundai comes with 5 year unlimited miles road side assistance and he said that was THEIR roadside assistance add on....

I told my father lets go this is crazy....we walked out to the lot and the sales guy comes running and says they would NOT add any of those onto the original price....my father says TO LATE! plenty of other dealers out there that want our business....so now he is shopping a different Hyundai dealership.... Its easy to get taken if you walk in COLD to a dealer...

Jeff
  • Options
    alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Sounds like the same thing I experience here in San Antonio. I tend to use the internet to get price quotes on the exact vehicle I want and either get replies to come on in and we'll talk or they give me the MSRP. Now I know many dealers are offering the balloon financing program but I prefer to purchase outright vs leasing a vehicle. I give the dealer the price I am willing to pay and then walk out if they can't meet it.
  • Options
    atallatall Member Posts: 7
    I got mine in Chicagoland for $16,500 + ttl for the GLS with Premium Sports Package (MSRP $21,030) Not too many of these models around, but you should still be able to do much better that the $17,257 that has been quoted.
  • Options
    geffengeffen Member Posts: 278
    Wow $16,500 ?? How did you accomplish that deal? did you have some extra incentives to get the price down that low?
  • Options
    chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    And auto dealers wonder why they have such a bad reputation. I wonder if you will here this story over on the "Sales from the frontline stories forum".
  • Options
    mwsonatamwsonata Member Posts: 4
    Shopping here in Atlanta, Georgia and notice the $2000 rebate is over on July 9th, My current best price for this base Model is $19,095 , add TTL(7% here). Is this along reasonable lines or are the 2008 Models pushing better prices on the 2007's.
  • Options
    dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    I wouldn't be too concerned about the rebate ending on 7/9. Given that the 08's are out and the two Hyundai dealerships I visited had plenty of 07's in stock, my guess is that the rebates will, at a minimum, be extended or even increased to move the 07 inventory.

I have a quote for a brand new 2007 GLS with the Premium Sound Package and auto for $15,950, after rebate and discounts. MSRP is $19,600.
  • Options
    atallatall Member Posts: 7
    Nope. No extra incentives - was the regular 2000 rebate. Check out Rosen Hyundai & Elgin Hyundai. Both had good prices.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, i'll have to check them out, the pricing must be a bit higher here in Michigan.
  • Options
    dwhytedwhyte Member Posts: 6
    I got mine from antwerpen in Maryland for $16,200 + ttl for the 2007 GLS with Premium Sports Package+ carpeted floor mats. Also received free dealer add on's pin stipes and wheel locks. (MSRP $21,030)
  • Options
    I'm just curious what type of rebates did you receive to get to the $16,200 pricing?
  • Options
    I received $2,000.00 rebate.
  • Options
    Did you negotiate the pricing down to the $18,200.00 ? and then got the $2,000.00 rebate? Since MSRP was $21,000.00
  • Options
    The $16,200.00 was the internet price. Did not have to haggle over price. Have you checked out there internet site?
  • Options
    Yes I just checked out their website, the lowest price they have posted is $17,545 for a GLS.
  • Options
    I think you are looking at wrong site. I dont think were allowed to post site on message board. On google search enter Antwerpen Hyundai and click on second site. It will have the name Jack in name.
  • Options
    Make sure your looking at Antwerpen Hyundai Catsonville. I think you were looking at Antwerpen Hyundai Clarksville.
  • Options
    Thanks, you're right I was looking at Antwerpen Clarksville instead of Catsonville, I wonder if i can get one of my local dealers to do a price match.
  • Options
    Found out that I have to get platinum pretty much to get full black leather interior. The price I've got them at now is:

$23,800 OTD
    (includes $2000 cash back)
    (7% tax on it was around $1600)

This is the full packaged limited with platinum badge, even the floor mats are in this price. The other dealer with this car said they beat them on prices all the time but couldn't touch this one.
  • Options
    The only problem I had was they don't list what package is included with the car. I had to call the dealer for package information.
  • Options
    chrisclc13chrisclc13 Member Posts: 8
    where are you located at? you've got plenty of room to go with your dealer. i sold one this last week, same package your talking about for 23,500 OTD at a 7.75% tax rate, the rate alone adds a couple hundred bucks to ours. you should be able to get one down to 23,400 otd at least. i am in san diego btw
  • Options
    rhduke00rhduke00 Member Posts: 129
    Found out that I have to get platinum pretty much to get full black leather interior....

Last Sunday I saw a 2007 cherry red Limited with an all black leather interior at Auffenberg Hyundai in O'Fallon Illinois.
  • Options
    I did get him down, $23,500 in Atlanta, Georgia. Thanks for the info. After driving it tonight i see why people say so much about the radio being to high, fortunately on this package there is more steering wheel controls.
  • Options
    slamtazslamtaz Member Posts: 55
    Just bought 2007 Sonata SE V6 here in Nevada.

MSRP...... $22,095
    Invoice... $20,951
    Net price. $16,970
    plus 7.75% NV tax
    plus 399 doc fee
    plus 28.25 title fee

Though it took us quite a while to close it at the dealership, i'm happy i've done my research (i.e. including here in edmunds) and got the car for about $4,000 below invoice! :shades:
  • Options
    jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    Assume the 16,970 includes the 2,000 rebate.

BTW, the 399 doc fee is outragious...like your senior senator. Several states have legally set it at no more than $50.

Hey, enjoy your car.
  • Options
    sliggsligg Member Posts: 109
    Why would you accept a dealer rip-off of $399 for doc fees.

In New York State the doc fee is capped at $45.

sligg
  • Options
    yup, includes the rebate already and admittedly the doc fee is outragious but hey, i checked the other dealership here and even toyota & other's doc fee are the same too. i can live with that since i got the car for about the same price as the 4 cyl GLS w/ premium sports package.

i went for the more powerful v6 coz i can live w/o creature comforts like sunroof, power seats & fake wood trim. :shades:
  • Options
    Whether we like it or not, doc. fees are part of the price of a car and should be included when reporting "prices paid."

If one dealer will sell you a car for $16,700 plus $50 doc fee, your cost before TTL is $16,750. If another dealer will sell you the same make, model & equipped car for $16,200 plus a $400 doc fee, which one would you buy? Assuming you choose the second dealer, would you then complain about the doc fee being excessive, or would you recognise than you saved $150?

Dealers in CT have to register their doc fee with the state and must charge that fee on all cars. However, they can "bury" the doc fee by discounting the price of the car by an amount equal to or greater than the doc fee.

When I bought 2 years ago, the dealer I bought from had a doc fee $81 higher than the local dealer. My purchase price, including doc fee, was $1800 less. I didn't care how they allocated line item costs. I cared about the bottom line price I would pay.
  • Options
    Exactly my sentiments, and in the same manner, it is also my understanding that dealers here need to register the amount of their doc fee. So i guess they are bound to refund those who paid more if ever they registered a lower amount of doc fee with the state.

Besides, $4,000 under invoice for a 1st time car buyer like me, i'm content with the numbers i got and i'm looking forward to enjoying our new ride in the years to come. :)
  • Options
    atlbuyeratlbuyer Member Posts: 16
    Congrats on a sweet ride. I'm also looking down here in Atlanta. What dealership did you go to? Did they have a large inventory of 07's? Were you happy with them? I'm in the market for a GLS with Prem Sport Package. After buying my last car down here in 05 and having to grind for a somewhat decent deal, I'm not sure I'll get the GLS for what others are saying (16,500 OTD).
  • Options
    xjlee20xjlee20 Member Posts: 7
    Hello everyone,
    For past few days, all I've been doing was reading all the discussions from edmunds forum about 07 sonata b/c my family is thinking of purchasing one as well. We are looking into the 07 sonata-limited edition with no other packages and we really like what we see so far. The only thing that is troubling us is that how much of a good pricing we can get at the dealership b/c I have heard that if you do not know much about the price of the vehicle when you enter the dealership, they will take advantage of you. I ask all the members here how much of a good deal that we can get with the 07 sonata v6 limited at Long Island, New York and recommandations of dealerships here. (I have a basic knowledge of there are 08 sonata models out there at the dealership and in 09', sonata is going to get a facelift. So I am assuming that 07 sonatas should get cheaper soon?) Thank you very much. If additional informations needed, please send me a message and I will get back to you with the best answer i can. Thanks once more!

Oh yea, I almost forgot, if we do decide to purchase another sonata soon, this is going to be our second (we had updated 3rd generation). I think b/c it is going to be our second hyundai, they will be willing to give us a better deal?
  • Options
    mikezakmikezak Member Posts: 95
    I know that the 2008 models offer the 4 Cyl with all Trim levels. For those members who have recently shopped for the Sonata, how many 07 GLS models have you seen with upgraded premium packages (so as to make it somewhat near an GLS).

My rationale is so that I can get the $2000 rebate. :)

Thanks
  • Options
    Ended up putting Jim Ellis against Rick Case in the end, Jim Ellis being the ultimate winner(northside Peachtree Ind.). Both only had 1 Platinum and Jim Ellis dealer had to go find it way in back for me, took abit. I was looking for specifically black leather which limited my options so i cant really say much about their inventory.