Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

Comments

• Options
    10years10years Member Posts: 48
    As good as the Lexus is the expense of its Premium fuel requirements shouldn’t be overlooked. Its City MPG is 16 so 10K miles a year at $3.25 is $2,031. For example compare that to the 23 City MPG for a 2010 Subaru Legacy with CVT on Regular at $3.00 is $1,304 per year. The difference is $727 saved each year just in fuel.

All these mechanical contraptions, new and used, have their pluses and minuses.

Good Luck.
  • Options
    luvfishingluvfishing Member Posts: 4
    You really should be fine going with either vehicle. Both Lexus and Subaru have great reliability. I have had no problems with Subarus and my many friends with Lexus vehicles also swear by their reliability.

It really comes down to what vehicle better serves your needs -- both are great vehicles for their intended use.

I do agree that Subarus are very inexpensive to maintain and repair.

Good luck - both are vehicles that offer above average value for their customers compared to the competition.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking to interview consumers for story who are currently in the market looking for a new vehicle. Please send your daytime phone number to ctalati@edmunds.com by Wednesday, September 16, 2009.
    Thanks,
    Chintan
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    texasnightowltexasnightowl Member Posts: 31
    I'm starting to shop around for a car to replace my 2000 Camaro (V6, 5 speed). It's in good shape actually, only 97k miles on it and the engine is strong...it's just everything around the engine starting to go. Plus I'm ready for a bit more practicality and luggage space!

I'm torn between going with something new around the $17-20k mark or going with something slightly used around the $14-15k mark.

I think I've decided to go for a sedan type car. But basically I'm looking for:

more usable space
    decent gas mileage
    more usable space
    good handling
    more usable space

On the issue of stick vs. auto, I think I want to stay with a stick. That's what I've been driving for ... lets just say a long time ... and while I've thought about going auto I don't think I can bring myself to do it yet.

I have looked around a little bit so far...and spent many hours on edmunds.com the last few weeks. What has really surprised me so far is that for all the talk about cars getting better gas mileage, etc...there are really very very few that average anywhere close to 30 or higher. I mean yeah, the Prius, Insight, Jetta TDI but below that there are an awful lot of cars that sit in the mid 20 mpg range for an average. For reference, the EPA estimates on my Camaro are 17-29 and in my normal commute I average 22. And on straight highway runs I do get 28 or 29 (at an average mph of 70-75).

Anyway, mpg aside...

I briefly thought about a small SUV (ie. Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4) but after driving the RAV4, I think I've decided against them. They do have space...but they carry a premium price new (well, and used too) and I didn't really care for the handling of the RAV4.

While at the Toyo dealership, I also drove a Matrix and Prius. There's no way I'm ready to get used to the way the Prius drives. The Matrix is maybe a possibility but I wasn't crazy about the way it handled either. It was just numb...no feedback.

The other two cars I've driven so far are a Mazda 3s sedan and VW Jetta TDI (w/DSG). Both of those I liked much more than the Toyotas...handling! But they were both autos, so I need to go back and drive the MT versions.

So, the new cars on my list right now are:

Mazda 3 sedan
    Mazda 3 hatchback
    VW Jetta SE
    and as a stretch, the VW Jetta TDI

(I liked the TDI I test drove, but...1 it's over the top of my $$$ range (but there is that tax credit thing), 2 high demand so little movement on price, 3 is it worth it since I only average about 12k miles a year?, 4 I don't really know how much maintenance would cost for the VW but I'm assuming more than some other models)

As for some other popular models...since I plan to keep the car for 8-10 years, if I can't stand to spend one day looking at a car, then it's off the list...ie., the current model Honda Accord and Civic, the Corolla, the Ford Focus all fall into this category.

So, given all I mention above:

1. Is there any other "new" car I should seriously take a look at?
    2. What "used" cars should I consider?

Luckily, my Camaro is still running good enough that I'm not in any particular rush...I have time to look around.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Since you mentioned "more usable space" three times, you might look at some other small hatches/wagons. The Elantra Touring is roomier than the Mazda3s, but the engine is less powerful and handling not as crisp. But it has a smoother ride, is roomier, has better fuel economy, costs less, and did I mention it's roomier?

Others to check include the Impreza wagon (FE not as good as the FWD cars, but nice little wagon and has AWD.

If you like the Jetta, did you look at the Sport Wagon? Much more space than the sedan. Also the Rabbit would be more versatile than the Jetta.

You should also look at some mid-sized sedans that fall under $20k with a stick, such as the Fusion (really nice blend of ride and handling), Sonata SE I4 (has sport-tuned suspension so it's crisper than the normal Sonata), and Optima LX. Lots of room in those. And they get excellent FE for such large cars, as good as many compacts.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,405
    It sounds like the driving experience is important to you.. You've probably already narrowed it down to the best choices..

Personally, I like the Mazda hatchback better than the 5-cylinder Jetta sedan..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    One more thought... the Honda Fit with a stick is a great little handler and fun to drive. They're also tops in the class with how much usable space is available compared to outside size.

Just a thought.
  • Options
    Since you mentioned "more usable space" three times

Yeah, coming from the Camaro, usable space is important. The only somewhat flat surface you get for luggage in the Camaro is the rear deck or the back seat folded down. The cargo area is just a place to put the T-Top panels. Realistically, the trunk area in most sedans will be wonderful. At first I was going a little overboard in favor of SUV and hatchback models, but really, 99.9% of the time a trunk will be plenty. That said, I did notice that the trunk opening on the Mazda 3 sedan is kind of narrow? Because the rear glass comes so far back, there is no way to 'indent' the top opening of the trunk so it is more narrow than on some other cars.

I did think about the Jetta Sport Wagon but the dealers in my area have none right now...not sure when they will get any...and again, realistically I don't really need that type of layout. Single, no kids :>

I did have a friend mention the Ford Fusion, so I may check that one out. I looked at pics of the Elantra Touring but have not seen in person. The exterior doesn't really grab me but I may drive by a dealer for a quick look.

Thanks!
  • Options
    It sounds like the driving experience is important to you.. You've probably already narrowed it down to the best choices..

Personally, I like the Mazda hatchback better than the 5-cylinder Jetta sedan..

Yeah, I guess it is...after all...I plan to drive it for hopefully 8-10 yrs. Might as well enjoy it.

Of the Mazda s sedan vs the Jetta TDI, I liked the pep and handling of the Mazda better (though the TDI had plenty of torque and passing ability) but I liked the more conservative refined interior layout of the Jetta. Both of those were automatics though...I need to go back and try the stick versions.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,952
    of those you mentioned, I think the Mazda hatch is far and away the best of the bunch. BUT, it is kind of pushing your budget for a new '10 model, isn't it?

You may want to check out a slightly used WRX wagon.

Another would be a used 2.0T VW GTI. I haven't checked, but I would think those are down in your pricerange by now.

And, last but not least, a used Volvo V50 T5.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    of those you mentioned, I think the Mazda hatch is far and away the best of the bunch. BUT, it is kind of pushing your budget for a new '10 model, isn't it

The "sport" model hatchback would be at the top of the range...and that would be without the moon/audio or tech package. The GT model would be a no because it would be over. So it would depend what type of deal could be scored on the Sport model with the MT.

Luckily, I am not in a real rush at the moment, so I can sit back for a month or two and see how sales go now that C4C has been over a few weeks.
  • Options
    kochokocho Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for all advices. I finally went with 2001 Lexus as I got 3.9% financing and car had been found to maintain at dealer regularly including major 75,000 miles maintenance. It is in excellent condition and I love driving it, very quiet, comfortable car. I don't regret it at all so far.
    I might be a bit stupid to ignoring about 3 years, 36000 miles with 5 year powertrain warranty on 2009 Subaru, but it is hard to drive with standard in traffic and no good CD or audio. It might fit better for tougher terrain. I live in flat plain region of Texas.
  • Options
    carfusedcarfused Member Posts: 1
    I'm a single woman who is looking for a dependable car! I have appx $3000 to spend on a car, I thought I was all zeroed in on a toyota camry, found one I love, all the features, good mileage, in my price range.... etc. THEN, I found an infinity I30, love it, too, good mileage, features, price etc.I read all the reviews on both cars, and both are outstanding choices, so how does one decide without wondering if she should have gotton the other one after the purchase? my biggest dilema is that I will be an out of town buyer, both cars are not within "test driving" range. so I will have to take someone elses word for the actual quality of the vehicle. I've been looking for cars that are in my area but none measure up to what Ive found that is about 160 miles from home. I'll be driving home in one of them, so what do I do ?
  • Options
    kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Recognize that buying any used car is buying 'as-is'. A mechanical/electrical problem that may be hidden, could add thousands of dollars of cost to repair.

BEFORE purchase of any used vehicle, you need to pay to have an independent mechanic check it out and give you an indication of what is wrong. This may cost $100 or so, but could highlight problems that you would have no clue might exist. Even then, there still could be hidden defects.

Buying something 3 hours away, makes it even more difficult to do a sales transaction, or any followup. Personally, I wouldn't be buying a used car 3 hours away. I've always had the perception, that people don't usually get rid of cars that are running perfect. They get rid of cars that they don't want to spend any more money fixing it up. Sometimes the repair bills are more than the vehicle is worth, so they decide to dump it. As a buyer, one always thinks the car looks perfect....but I think you should plan for the fact that the vehicle has problems. You just hope that the problems are cheaper and easier to fix....as opposed to a more expensive engine or transmission problem. Has the vehicle been wrecked?

I'd recommend shifting your focus from the fact that the vehicle has all the features you want, to how mechanically sound, safe, and reliable is the vehicle. And then how much more money is at risk for repairs:
    - new brakes and rotors?
    - new struts, shocks, alignment?
    - new tires ?
    - new CV axles/joints needed?
    - engine timing belt/water pump due for replacement? (don't take someone's word this was done, unless you see an actual receipt. This can be 750 - 1K to do).
    - oxygen sensor / catalytic converter problems?
    - engine condition ?
    - transmission condition ?
    - air conditioner condition ?
    - all door windows and locks work?

Repairs can be multiple hundreds to thousands of dollars, get it checked BEFORE you buy anything.
  • Options
    corkscrewcorkscrew Member Posts: 254
    Looking closer to home is a wize decision, get a Carfax Report when you find one you like. http://www.carfax.com/
    Corkscrew
  • Options
    I've always had the perception, that people don't usually get rid of cars that are running perfect. They get rid of cars that they don't want to spend any more money fixing it up.

Do you really mean that the way it reads? It reads as if you think every used car needs repairs. I can't imagine you really believe that. I've bought and sold cars that needed nothing whatsoever at the time or in the immediate future.

I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, you mean to say you go into a used car purchase with the preconceived notion that it needs repairs. Depending on the car, age, and mileage, I would agree with you in that case.

one example would be the last used car I bought. I got it home and would not even drive it until after I replaced the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, thermostat, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and all fluids.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    tomkentomken Member Posts: 20
    Should I spend one to two thousands extra on SE? SE looks better, but does it worth those extra thousands?
  • Options
    vietviet Member Posts: 847
    Camry SE has more horse power. It's just like top Accord V6 compared to smaller I4 Accord. It's matter of money and horse power difference.
  • Options
    Camry SE has more horse power. It's just like top Accord V6 compared to smaller I4 Accord. It's matter of money and horse power difference.

No, its not. The SE 4-cylinder Camry has a negligible horsepower increase in 4-cyl models (10 horses) while the difference in the (I-4 Accord and V6 Accord is over 80 horses). I'd bet money that if you notice a difference in the SE Camry engine and LE/XLE Camry engine, its a negligible one in 4-cylinder models. The V6 models have the exact same power output in all Camry models.

The SE Camry will ride firmer and handle better than the LE and XLE models. How you like that difference is something that will only be solved by a test drive by you, tomken. Happy shopping!
  • Options
    alopez5alopez5 Member Posts: 2
    I am in the process of looking for a vehicle (2008 nissan maxima 3.5 Se with spoiler. The prices I have been quoted are extremely high. Any suggestions on the max you would pay for this make/model.

Thanks.....
  • Options
    addamsaddams Member Posts: 74
    4dr Sedan SL with the nav package from a private party with 25K. $22,000-$23,000 So less for an SE without nav.Maybe 20K
  • Options
    mrsincere7mrsincere7 Member Posts: 40
    I should consider myself lucky. I can understand your concerns. I bought an 04' LS430 Ultra in 2007, and recently bought an 05' WRX to replace an 03' Toyota Avalon. The Avalon was too much like the Lexus, plus I needed something fun and powerful. Now that I have the Subaru.......Both the Lexus and Subaru have given me the ability to significantly switch driving experiences whenever it suits me. :) Winters coming , so I'll have my 1st opportunity to see how the Sub handles in the snow. If that becomes a problem, I also have an 02' Dodge Dakota 4x4 as a back-up. My Lexus and my Subaru each offer different conveniences and driving experiences. Because of that fact, having both, helps me to appreciate each car individually.

For instance, I could never take my Subaru on a long drive and expect to be as comfortable as I'd be in the Lexus. On the other hand, whenever I drive into NYC or congested areas, the Subarus power,handling/agility,ease of parking, is fantastic. BTW all of the vehicles I mentioned were purchased from a dealer only auction. I saved thousands of dollars doing it this way instead of going to a dealers lot to pay their huge markup.
  • Options
    hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    kiawah: I agree with you 100% I always followed that advice and had my repair shop inspect any used car I was interested in. For $50.00 he would give me a full report. Well a few months ago I went out and bought a $2500.00 car for my 16 year old son to wreck I mean drive and guess what I did not have it checked because hey it was only $2500.00 well guess what its now $3800.00 and climbing
  • Options
    BMW540BMW540 Member Posts: 33
    My wife is getting out of the mini van. At the auto show, saw the TL, really ugly. The Tsx with the V6, looks interesting and the IS 350, which also looks quite interesting. I am currently driving a loaner G 37. It seems like an ok car. Does not compare to my M45 though. Thoughts and opinions and any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    BMW
  • Options
    Well, considering your handle, why not the 3-series? I'd also suggest checking out the S60 or even S80. I find the S60 quite a bit nicer than the TSX, personally.

• Options
    BMW540BMW540 Member Posts: 33
    Well too many friends have had bad Volvos, so bad in fact that the lemon law was invoked by a lawyer. I had a bad Beemer. I know they can be terrific cars as long as the warranty is valid. I usually lease my cars and buy them at the end of the lease. Any other opinions out there for a sporty 4 door mid size. Thanks
    BMW
  • Options
    cptpicardcptpicard Member Posts: 4
    I wish they still made Olds, The Aurora was a Heck of a car.
  • Options
    almattialmatti Member Posts: 164
    Pontiac Bonnevilles TOO. At least the 1988 & 1991 modesl I had were very good cars. The 1998 Pontiac Grand Pix, though - pushed me to the "dark Side" - Japanese cars only, now..
  • Options
    hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    "Japanese cars only, now"

Have you been to Toyota or Honda Forum's lately? With all the recalls and even worse when they don't recall for things like brakes and engine vibration and transmission and run flat tires and electrical issues. I would not be so quick to just limit myself to Japanese brands or you might end up back on the Dark side. :)
  • Options
    1bythesea1bythesea Member Posts: 52
    "Have you been to Toyota or Honda Forum's lately?"

Couldn't agree more. Had a 2005 Toyota V6 Highlander Limited that had the dreaded hesitation issue. A dangerous issue at that. With Toyota no-service on the 2005, I was done. Dumped the vehicle after 1 year. 21 years of Toyota loyalty meant absolutely nothing to this car manufacturer-20 of the years at the same dealership. To my knowledge, Toyota is still fighting hesitation issues.
  • Options
    canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Agreed, the TL doesn't have the best grill or butt, but if you drive TSX and then get into the TL, you'll probably buy the TL w/tech package. I've driven one and it is nice. I had no dislikes about the TL. Didn't buy it cuz the wife quit her job straining our finances, but would have it she hadn't. The TL in my area has the best apr it has had all year.
  • Options
    blaines3blaines3 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2005 Maxima, a decent car except for the brake trouble. 83000 km. we replaced a rear hub, 2 wheel sensors and the actuator (not cheap). Fixed the problem until now 20000 km. later we have the same VDC & ABS lights on, dealer replaced the actuator again! That worked for a 1/2 block. Anyone else out there with similar problems?
  • Options
    oldcemoldcem Member Posts: 309
    You might take a look at the mid size Jaguar XF. I've had 3 Jags, and, had good luck with all of them.

Regards:
    Oldengineer
  • Options
    tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    Any other opinions out there for a sporty 4 door mid size.

I had a 1998 Audi A4 and loved the driving experience and the interior. The prices have shot up a lot. Even though the Audi cost a lot more than my Acura TL to fix, I don't have the passion for the TL that I did for the Audi. I liked the old TSX but IMHO the new one is too big and too soft.
  • Options
    easman61easman61 Member Posts: 28
    Third Acura I've bought. Almost bought a MBenz C350. Drove a 2008 E Class 350 with 14k miles on it today. Couldn't believe how heavy it felt and how many little rattles it had and how rough it rode on the highway. In all fairness, maybe a tire was out of balance. Car looked great but didn't have near the zip of the TSX. My wife's 2007 MDX with 39K on the clock is absolutely perfect and feels like a new car. That's what did it for me. The door shuts with a very quality "Thud". I was able to get a great deal on the TSX with 2.9% financing and it's got to be one of the least expensive cars to own - especially with a deal below invoice. I had to sell my 2007 TSX which was perfect that I had bought new when I had to go to a company car. Took me about 1 week on Craig's List to find a buyer. Keep all the maintenance records and pay the extra for the dealer servicing and you're gold with these cars.
  • Options
    atanassatanass Member Posts: 1
    ....,,,,,,"Japanese cars only, now".................

You are right about the Japanese cars forum.I was looking for Honda Accord and find out that almost 50% of the car for sell has changed water pomp and trim belt I'm talking about Honda Accord less then 100K manufactured after 2000
  • Options
    palmerninepalmernine Member Posts: 1
    im looking at a 96 maxima with just under 150k on it. ive done a little research on this vehicle but not really sure what to look out for. Im taking the vehicle to a mechanic prior to purchase. What concerns me is the coil/plug replacement cost. The car is listed at 3k. from what ive seen that pretty much is the repair cost to take care of the coil/plug replacement. anything else i should look out for? thanks for your responses.
  • Options
    ??????
    $3k for coils and plugs?? You need a new mechanic!
    Does this require pulling the engine?
    Parts are ~$425.

edit: according to the first answer I came upon, no mention of removing the engine:
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_replace_the_ignition_coils_on_a_2000_Nissan- - _Maxima_SE

And, by the way, in case you haven't seen it, here is the reliability report on Edmunds.

• Options
    radbluejay1radbluejay1 Member Posts: 6
    How problematic is the driver's side bump in the IS 250 AWD?

I'm looking at the IS 250 AWD vs the g37x... really like both though kinda leaning toward the IS 250 AWD... just seems a bit sportier and more aligned with what I'm kinda looking for in a car right now.

My biggest hangup is the space issue. I'm 6'2"... I've had small cars before (cavalier, sentra, civic) and never particularly minded them. However, I can't help but notice the bump on the floor of the IS. After test driving twice, it doesn't seem like it'd be a big deal but just curious what others have found... particularly others around my height. :-)

I really like the IS exterior and interior otherwise.
  • Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    Not often I hear someone say they think the IS is sportier than a G37...

If the bump hasn't seemed like a big deal on two test drives, you're probably in pretty good shape, especially since all 6'2" people are not the same.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    radbluejay1radbluejay1 Member Posts: 6
    Don't get me wrong, the g37has a bigger engine and more horsepower, etc. I'm sure that by every objective parameter of "sporty" it probably beats the IS. I guess I just like the styling of the IS a bit better. I'm doing an "extended test drive" of the IS this weekend, so hopefully that'll help me figure out if the bump is a big enough deal to not get it.
  • Options
    civicowner3civicowner3 Member Posts: 47
    DONT BUY A HONDA DONT BUY A HONDA. MINE IS A LEMON MINE IS A LEMON. THEY WILL NOT SERVE ME THEY WILL NOT SERVE ME.
    seriously, I have not been able to drive my NEW HONDA for 11 months-brakes failed, car is unsafe to drive, oxygen problem, qwith which no one knows what to do....nightmare city. hondas are not well made anymore. stay away!!
  • Options
    If it is in fact a lemon, you'll get your money back. Every automaker has them.
  • Options
    ronsmith38ronsmith38 Member Posts: 228
    edited March 2010
    Yes. Try a different dealer for repairs.
  • Options
    osaka75osaka75 Member Posts: 88
    My parents are soon to be in the market for a new car. They really need to consider visibility, reliability, size and safety. They really hate visiting dealers to check out vehicles and I'm far away from them so can't help out by taking them around. So, I'd like to help narrow the search to maybe 2 cars.

As for safety and size, they aren't comfortable in a small car for safety reasons and they can't handle a large car so mid-size is it. They would like something that can accelerate at least as fast as their 2000 Camry, which is a 6 cylinder and has about 200 hp. A 4 cylinder is fine if it can accelerate this fast or close.

They are both around 5' tall and have trouble backing up in their current vehicle because the back seat is high for them to see over. They aren't good at using the side mirrors so looking back over their shoulder through the rear window is necessary. If it helps you, their previous car was a '94 Plymouth Acclaim and my mom still talks about the great visibility in that car. Cars designs these days seem to sacrifice visibility but perhaps there are some that aren't as bad as others.

Thanks for your input!
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    What kind of ride do they like? Soft, or firmer? What is their price range? If it's in the low-mid $20s, they might check out the 2011 Sonata, which has 198 hp and a backup camera with the nav system, could probably get one for around $25k or so. The Accord EX also has good power, but I don't know if it has a backup camera. Both of these cars have "large car" interiors, but the Accord has a more comfortable rear seat IMO. Both are safe with all the key safety features and excellent crash test scores, and have a very good reliability record (although the 2011 Sonata is a new design; the previous generation was reliable).
  • Options
    I consider the current Accord to be a large car, personally. Even the previous gen was "too big" IMHO.

I'm going to suggest the Legacy. It is the runt of the mid-sizers and offers the added safety of AWD. In non-turbo guise, it is a bit down on power at 170hp, but I don't think they'll miss it once they experience the CVT and AWD. Not to mention the far better gas mileage than their '00 Camry. And, if so inclined, they could always try on the turbo or 6-cyl for size.

• Options
    So my 2000 Camaro is 10 yrs old and over the last 2 yrs I've put better than $5000 in repairs and maintenance into it. It's good for the moment, and I am likely to keep it as a second car, but am now shopping for a new daily driver. My commute is 14 miles each way and I am averaging only 11k miles per year (the Camaro is only now at 102k).

I've test driven a couple cars and spent lots of time on pics and reviews. At first I was having a hard time narrowing it down to sedan or compact SUV. But basically, a sedan is fine for me and if I were buying new, right now, I'd be choosing between a 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE, 2010 VW Jetta TDI, or 2010 VW Jetta Wolfsburg.

However, given I haven't had a car payment for several years now, the payment that comes with one of those cars hurts a little bit. So, I'm at least thinking about buying something slightly used for a bit cheaper.

Right now on my list is a 2008-2009 VW Rabbit, 2008-2009 VW Jetta, 2008+ Ford Fusion. Looking for feedback on these or other suggestions. I've driven a Toyota Matrix but didn't love the "feel" of it and don't want a Camry. I don't want a Honda Civic or Accord. I haven't looked at recent Chevy Malibu or Impala. What else would be a good bet? What will likely last relatively trouble free?
  • Options
    I'm in the process of buying a 2010 Sonata GLS; easily purchased brand-new for $16k.
  • Options
    I'll give my standby answer:
    Mazda3

If you don't require many options, you can get a new one in your pricerange.

Otherwise, I also like the Rabbit, so I don't see a problem there. Although, if going used, why not a GTI? (unless you require 4 doors)