Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    "Hate to be a bubble burster but the 6s was nearly a second behind the top 2 finishers in the Road & Track comparison test."

Lemme guess. Altima and Accord. Ish and Ish.

All in good nature of course.....
  • Options
    voochvooch Member Posts: 92
    I went to the dealership this Sunday to check out the stock. There was a single 6s manual with almost everything. What I noticed though was that it had a "V6" symbol on the front doors. I couldn't find any other 6s's with the V6 symbol on them. Aside from that individual car, there is no way to tell an s from an i from the exterior, that I can see. I found it strange that just one (that I found) had the symbol on it. Anyone else notice V6 symbols on the 6s?
  • Options
    ickes_mobileickes_mobile Member Posts: 675
    The February Car&Driver and Road&Track feature comparisions of the Mazda6 with its major competitors. The results:

CAR&DRIVER
    10: Saturn L200 Manual Trans
    9: Kia Optima LX Manual Trans
    8: Hyundai Sonata GLSV6 Automatic Trans
    7: Dodge Stratus R/T Manual Trans
    5 tie: Nissan Altima 3.5SE Manual Trans
    5 tie: Subaru Legacy L Manual Trans
    4: Toyota Camry SE Manual Trans
    3: Volkswagen Passat GL 1.8T Automatic Trans
    2: Mazda 6 i Manual Trans
    1: Honda Accord EX-L Manual Trans

ROAD&TRACK
    5: VW Passat GLX
    3(tie): Nissan 3.5SE & Camry XLE
    2: Mazda 6s
    1: Honda Accord

Please commence flaming US auto publications...
  • Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Why? We are here to discuss the 6, not continually keep comparing it to the Accord. As others have said, if you want an Accord, fine. Go buy one, or a half dozen, and leave the rest of us to our 6dom! :)
  • Options
    shado4shado4 Member Posts: 287
    "Please commence flaming US auto publications..."

Ha-ha! You already know what's coming...

"What were they smokin'?!?"

"All these tests are meaningless BS."

"I can drive better than Csaba Csere!"

"These pubs value advertising dollars more than the merits of a car."

Anyone care to add any more?
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Has got to be the funniest post I have seen in a long time.
  • Options
    mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    C&D rated the 6i-MT over the Altima 3.5SE? I gotta read that one! And why the heck would they test the Passat and Sonata with AT when all the others are MT?
  • Options
    groovypippingroovypippin Member Posts: 264
    Yah, without reading the article I can't really see any rhyme or reason to test a V6 Altima against a four cylinder M6 and Accord - it certainly couldn't be because of price.

With that said, it impresses the hell out of me that the M6 and the Accord would finish so far ahead of it.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I saw somewhere that the new issue of C&D included a comparison of the Mazda6 with the Accord or Altima (don't know which one) and the Jetta GLI. Definitely gotta get that one...
  • Options
    hwyhobohwyhobo Member Posts: 265
    Toyota installs "optional" ground effects on every Matrix XR model. Presumably they think that spoilers and ground effects is EVERY young person's idea of cool/sporty.

You mean that stuff is optional? When I saw it I asked the salesperson if all of them looked like boy racers, and he said, "yes, that's the way they are." He wouldn't even discuss it. I immediate gave up on the idea of even checking the interior afraid that someone might actually see me sitting in this dorkmobile.
  • Options
    Nope. Actually the intent of the post was to make clear that though Toyota SAYS the ground effects are optional, it is virtually, if not, impossible to find a Matrix XR without them. At least in the area where the original poster looks for Toyotas.

Know, though, that Toyota builds models differently for each region of the country. A leftover result from having distributors for each geographic region. All but one are now Toyota owned. That last one is a real stinker.

Thank heavens Mazda buyers do not have to put up with that system. Instead, whole countrys (US, Canada) get different option configurations.
  • Options
    jtkz13jtkz13 Member Posts: 51
    are not just items for "dorks". On the right car they make it look sportier. I think the 6 looks 10X better with the sport package and spoiler. Ya know, it's not a Buick.
  • Options
    Give Mr. Lutz time. In, oh, say three years, Buicks will not look like Buicks. Now whether or not that is a good thing...

I agree with others, though. You should be able to get the 17 inch wheels from the factory (and the sports interior) without the ground effects. Some of us live in areas where that stuff hanging down can cause problems.
  • Options
    They have a test with the Altima, Mazda6, and Jetta GLI.

shado4---Nobody said that, you did.
  • Options
    coasterbobcoasterbob Member Posts: 32
    ......I have the steel-grey loaded 6s, and have had only positive comments about the color choice. I think the color crosses all age barriers (I am not a "kid" for sure, but have young people telling me they like it).
  • Options
    golfstergolfster Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the heads up on the GFX package. I have a car broker friend in Seattle. From previous discussions with him, I believe Canadian cars meet/exceed USA specs and can be purchased/registered for USA use. So if the Mazda merchants can't sort out their curious USA marketing prejudices...
  • Options
    Have you seen that new Malibu? Yuck!!!

Chrysler built crappy cars when he was there and it doesn't appear to be any different now at GM. All hype and no substance. GM could learn alot from Honda, Toyota (and Mazda) on how to build a good basic car. Until they figure that one out, maybe they should just keep quiet...
  • Options
    mazdamarlamazdamarla Member Posts: 350
    Came home last night with Edmunds reviews on the 6 to show my husband. I sooooooo wanna get one...NOW. But common sense is telling me to just hold off, wait until I get a bit more money saved up, maybe wait a year so any first-year kinks can be worked out, some reliability history can be compiled, etc. etc. Argh! Darned common sense, anyway.

If/When the neighbor/salesman calls me to tell me he's bring a 6i home so I can see it/drive it, I will take it for a drive at least. (yeah - that'll really make me want to wait longer, huh? ) But I'm going to try to hold off a while. Would like a bit more money in the bank. I don't NEED a new car, my old MX-6 is running just fine. So I'm going to try my best to wait.

In the meantime I will live vicariously thru all of you. ;):D

Oh - and why don't people like the spoilers? I've seen them with and without, and I think the spoilers look good. And I'm a 34yo female. I DO wish the spoilers were a separate option package...I can see your point there. That Sport Package should be broken down more. But I don't see why people don't LIKE the spoiler.
  • Options
    barrysobarryso Member Posts: 66
    " But I don't see why people don't LIKE the spoiler"

The spoiler, in my opinion, is fine looking. But it seems that EVERY car now has to have one and it has become a cliche. Yet is does make the Mazda6 look fine.

Its the ground effects that turn me off. No way am I going to drive around in something that screams "teenager toy" or "midlife crisis". But thats just my opinion.

If the spoiler was seperate from the ground effects I'd probably get it...

It is a shame that some packages can't be ordered seperately from others. But its hard enough for a manufacturer to produce and distribute the cars as they are. Add a few more option variations and they would never be able to get the right car to the right person ... unless it was custom built.
  • Options
    Well, I know that you can NOT get the Sport Package, and then have the spoiler put on as a Dealer-Installed item. That way you could get the spoiler but NOT get all the other stuff. But then that would also not include the larger 17" tires. So those would have to be a separate purchase also.

So it's like, do you spend more money up-front for 1 or 2 items that you want, and several items that you really DON'T want, just because it's a Package deal? Or do you not get the Package and buy the specific add-ons separately, but end up paying more per-item after the fact, or more in general because everything is a separate purchase and not part of a package?

If I could get just the 17" tires and the Spoiler, I'd be happy. I don't really care about a 6-CD changer and the ground effects stuff.

It seems like a lot of people don't like the spoiler at all, though. NOt just the ground effects, but they detest the look of the Spoiler on the car anyway, anyhow.

I guess everyone's opinion is just different. :) I think the spoiler looks good.
  • Options
    ambullambull Member Posts: 255
    You can get, as dealer-installed options, a different, lower-profile spoiler, which I don't think includes a tail light. There is also a different front air dam and a grill insert which can be used with or without the Sport package. I believe this is correct; if not, somebody say so.
  • Options
    Well, I know that you can NOT get the Sport Package, and then have the spoiler put on as a Dealer-Installed item. That way you could get the spoiler but NOT get all the other stuff. But then that would also not include the larger 17" tires. So those would have to be a separate purchase also.

So it's like, do you spend more money up-front for 1 or 2 items that you want, and several items that you really DON'T want, just because it's a Package deal? Or do you not get the Package and buy the specific add-ons separately, but end up paying more per-item after the fact, or more in general because everything is a separate purchase and not part of a package?

If I could get just the 17" tires and the Spoiler, I'd be happy. I don't really care about a 6-CD changer and the ground effects stuff.

It seems like a lot of people don't like the spoiler at all, though. NOt just the ground effects, but they detest the look of the Spoiler on the car anyway, anyhow.

I guess everyone's opinion is just different. :) I think the spoiler looks good.
  • Options
    Mazda6 S, 5sp, 17 inch rims. That's it. No sport package.
  • Options
    has the R&T and C&D articles changed anyone's mind about the Mazda6? I didn't think so.
  • Options
    I was surpised by the results however. I expected the Mazda6 to come out on top of these comparisions based on its performance orientation and past results with the Protege beating out more well rounded cars such as the Civic or Focus.
  • Options
  • Options
    coakleysdcoakleysd Member Posts: 32
    Yeah, Johnny Holiday is a character. Those are good though. I got my 6 for $22,315 (5MT, Bose, Sport, Sport grille,& cassette deck.
    Anyone willing to check out the ride, give me a shout at rhawli5pi89@hotmail.com
  • Options
    and that doesn't mean I can't like the Mazda6 or even appreciate its place in the market for mid-size sedans (whether I choose to buy one or not).
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    that's an excellent price for a loaded manual 6s!

did you get to meet Johnny himself?

Does he give extra discounts for U of MD alums? ;-)
  • Options
    I know. I just wanted to know if the articles changed anyone's mind who was interested in the Mazda6.....would those folks now want an Accord instead because of the articles?
  • Options
    as these two groups tend to be the most opinionated and loyal I've seen (aside from those GM's Might people) here.
  • Options
    jaclazjaclaz Member Posts: 37
    Hi all,

Test drove the $19,050 base "6i" yesterday. The VVT felt exactly like Turbo-lag, no power below 3,000 rev's and the VVT (turbo) kicks in above 3,500 rpm and I bet it goes strong all the way to 6,000 plus.

Everyone is correct, the steering feels very precise and suspension well damped when bumps encountered. I enjoyed the steering wheel Stereo and Cruise controls. Love the outside ambient temperature.

By the way the rear speakers are terrible. Had to adjust the fader way to the rear. They seem to have totally different efficiency from the front speakers. A dumb mistake.

Almost had an accident. That rear 'C' pillar totally blocked my view. Whewwww.

The clutch, I need time to get use to its trigger. The shifter is excellent, almost feels like my short-throw. Very slick. I loved the feel-good leather on the shifter and the steering wheel. Nice touches.

HVAC controls are Protege level, base... Mazda should have added the "s" HVAC controls to the "i" and added $100 to the price.

The hubcaps were visually appealing as far as wheel covers go, also allows one to go after-market for personal taste. The dealer had the car in the shop after my drive to upgrade to alloys. Glad I got to feel how the steel wheels drive. They'll make good snow tire wheels.

The center console between driver and passenger had poor design and plastics. The dash also feels lower in quality, hinges on doors, YET the dashboard above is higher quality, richer,...nice.

I currently drive a manual 2.4 liter four with 154 horse and 163 pounds of twist. I could feel the difference when punching the "6i" at lower rpm's. Very disappointing... YET, when broken in, I think I could easily ring out pleasing performance from driving it above 3,500 rpm's, below that it's not pressing you at all. Most folks who've driven V6's will not like this car. Those who've driven 4's with an ear for rev's will really like getting into the "god that sounds good" range. The sounds made by the dual exhausts were very pleasing to the ear.

My car drags above 5,500 rpm, I feel the "6i" comes into it's own at 3,500 revs due to VVT. But below 3,000 revs it has NO Pulse. Blaaahhhh.

Oh yea, Mazda gave me $35 credit on there merchant gift card just to test drive their car. Nice touch.

Hope this helps some consumers.

Happy Motoring, Jack
  • Options
    I haven't read the articles yet, but I am somewhat disappointed that the 6's handling was not superior. From what I read above, it may be due to not having the 17-inch wheels & tires? I expected slower acceleration than the Accord and Altima, but better handling. What I would like to see is a test of all 4-cylinder manual transmission models. That's not been done yet, has it?
  • Options
    seafseaf Member Posts: 339
    The articles are not going to change the minds of most of the enthusiastic Mazda supporters here just like Democratic party rallys don't change a Republican's mind and vice versa. It is the middle-ground people who are still undecided that may be swayed one way or another by such articles. Speaking as such a person, the articles do provide further support that I can't go wrong with the Accord, but I will still see how the Mazda6 plays out in the next few months (reliability, package options, deals, safety crash tests...etc). Thanks for the posts people.
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    You are right about the low end of the 4cyl., a bit lacking. However once the Rs get up there it kicks in nicely. Really makes you want to put on the break in miles quickly so you can get out there and rip.
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    So the only time some of the cars in the comparison test would be seeing the 6s's taillamps is if they are stuck in traffic behind it :):)

Depends on who is driving. ;);)

I haven't read anything, anywhere that changes my mind about the 6. After buying Hondas for 15 years, the Mazda6 is the best of three worlds: sport, luxury, and daily commuter.

Spoilers: Many people don't like them because they block rear vision when backing up, make it difficult to clear snow off if they don't have a garage, and attract the radar guys. Plus, a spoiler on a FWD car looks dumb. I saw a big wing on the roof of a pickup truck, makes about as much sense.

fowler3
  • Options
    Jaclaz, on my test drive of an almost identical car to yours, I had no problem with the clutch at all and the shifter was excellent. It didn't have much punch at lower RPMS, but will could tell it will at higher revs. The 6i engine has the opposite power curve compared to your current car. The engine did sound good at 3500 rpm and above, didn't it? Owners here say the engine improves after it's broken in.
    I didn't notice the C pillar blocking my view. Would it be a continual problem, or just a fluke?

BTW, spoilers do help at speeds above 100mph, FWD or not. Don't tell me you haven't experienced this for yourself?
  • Options
    bigzheng17bigzheng17 Member Posts: 81
    I don't like them because they break the aerodynamic looking of the car, same goes for sunroof (hood, window etc.) wind deflectors. Also I can't put a bike rack on the trunk if there is a spoiler.

You think a spoiler on FWD car look dumb? how about huge wing and spoiler on a limo? Saw it once, forgot where.
  • Options
    "BTW, spoilers do help at speeds above 100mph, FWD or not. Don't tell me you haven't experienced this for yourself?"

Why would you want downforce on the back of a FWD car?
  • Options
    boxfanboxfan Member Posts: 180
    I haven't read these comparisons that liked the Accord better. Did they think the handling was just as good as the 6, or just that it was better all-around? It would sway my opinion enough to go test-drive an Accord if those articles thought the handling was on-par with the 6.

I'm also surprised, after the NY Times article that had a group of auto journalists/ professionals compare a number of midsize cars, and the 6 won overall by a comfortable margin.
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    The Accord and 6 were equal through the slalom.
  • Options
    to really understand. What kinds of tires were on all of the tested cars? Was the Camry an SE? What model was tested for each car? I need to find that stuff out before I think too much about the tests.
  • Options
    groovypippingroovypippin Member Posts: 264
    I don't think that any of the articles will change an Accord buyers mind, but it will be very interesting to see how many previously potential Altima and Passat buyers now check out the Mazda6.

I'm really not concerned with how the M6 compares to the Accord and Camry - no one is going to threaten their dominant position in the marketplace anytime soon. I think it is interesting, however, to see how the car compares to the Altima and the Passat - the "sporty" competition.

These are the buyers that Mazda needs to go after. Given that, I think these comparisons will be very helpful.
  • Options
    can effect opinions voter opinions in the case of Sen. Wellstone's memorial service...
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    spoiler that Mazda has as an option. But the sport package one has got to go.

And Groovy is dead on on the mind changing.."no one is going to threaten their dominant position in the marketplace anytime soon."
  • Options
    I have a '91 Mazda MX-6 with a spoiler. We took our 2 bikes on vacation with us with a trunk-mounted bike rack with no problem. It has straps that go under the spoiler on either side of the brake light, I believe, and then down into the trunk, and then other straps go down and anchor below the bumper. We didn't have any problems. :)

And the spoiler on my MX-6 doesn't hinder back-up vision. At least I don't think so.
  • Options
    I'm not an expert in aerodynamics, but from what I understand, you don't want aerodynamic lift at the front or rear of any car. At the rear, it would lead to oversteer. All of the Speed World Challenge touring cars on the Speed channel have wings (and they don't use them to look cool).

Regarding car magazine tests, I, for one, am going to have to peruse the local newsstand and see exactly what was tested and what the results were.
  • Options
    1wiseguy1wiseguy Member Posts: 120
    The Accord V6 sedan only comes with a slushbox. The Mazda 6 (i4 or V6) can be equipped with a stick...and it has 4 doors. What other comparison do you need? For those who refuse to drive automatic the articles will not make a difference.

I agree with the above posts- the real comparo will be with the Passat or Altima (or the new 200hp TSX depending on pricing)
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    I'm here to announce the new Mazda6 Owners club now available on Edmunds.com Owners Club board. Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club. I have linked this discussion into that folder, but it will always reside here in Sedans.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
  • Options
    ncjudgencjudge Member Posts: 30
    Way back about two dozen posts or so, someone mentioned seeing the "V6" badge on a Mazda 6. I saw a 6s with that badge on it as well, somewhere in front of the driver side door, I think. Hadn't really seen it on any others, and don't know what the significance of it is if all 6s's have V-6. Maybe just a new styling touch.