Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda6 Sedan

Comments

• Options
    mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Yeah, gotta watch out for those girls on Barbie BMX bikes. ;)
  • Options
    hboydhboyd Member Posts: 98
    Can anybody post the complete list of MY2005 6 Sedan/5-dr/Wgn changes, model configurations, option packages, options? or link to a site?

I know some info is already on this board in piecemeal, but lets get a complete list.

Thanks,
    Martin
  • Options
    mrl699mrl699 Member Posts: 6
    I'm pretty close to buying a new Mazda 6. Love the way it drives, but have been concerned about its reliability. I've been on the web, reviewing edmunds and it seems there are common and frequent problems. I assume you are all enthusiasts but do any regret getting the car. Also do you think the 05 will solve some of the common problems, cold stalls, shifting, AC fogging etc?
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Any forum you read will have lots of complaints. That goes for almost any car. People come on the net to research and complain. And you know the old saying "If you are happy you will tell 1 person, if you are unhappy you will tell 10 people"
  • Options
    likaglovlikaglov Member Posts: 82
    I don't regret getting the car... at least not yet. There are several things I love about the car and it was a nice upgrade from my 1992 Honda Civic EX MT. However, I'm still getting used to driving an automatic and I'm trying to "give it some time". The 6s-AT shift patterns are very frustrating and jerky at times. There are also several noises that are iritating me (now I realize just how "tight" my Civic was). It is a good looking car inside and out (IMHO), but Mazda is NOT equal to Honda mechanically.

I'd recomend renting one for a long weekend and putting some miles on it. This will be difficult if you're buying a 6s and easy if you're looking at the 6i. I did three test drives, but there were several things that I still did not pick up on.

Best of Luck. I definitely think that for the price this is a very good car. Mazda will likely fix several of these problems with PCM updates and/or the '05 model.
  • Options
    jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    Is the new Mazda 6 built in Japan or in the U.S.? (just curious)
  • Options
    rampedramped Member Posts: 358
    All Mazda 6 models are built in Michigan.
  • Options
    jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    Yesterday I had the opportunity to take a look at some used cars down at my local Mazda dealership. I first got in an '03 6i and took a thorough look at the interior, engine, and other essentials. For a mid-priced, sporty family sedan, I have to say I am impressed by the overall quality of the 6! It is very well-assembled, the interior materials are of high quality, and the design is very well-executed.

On the other hand, when I got in the '03 Ford Taurus next to it, I was disgusted by that car, and I mean that. While the 6's doors shut with an audible thunk, the Taurus' doors sounded tinny, the seats were way too soft for my tastes, the interior plastics were really low-rent, and the overall package looked awful. I really think that a 6 will outlast a Taurus over the long run.
  • Options
    fandswfandsw Member Posts: 37
    Slight correction to ramped reply above: All North America market Mazda 6 models are made in Flat Rock Michigan, while the rest of the world gets the Mazda 6 (Atenza) models made in Japan.
  • Options
    ian2ian2 Member Posts: 168
    I agree with you 100%. I've driven both the 3 and the Focus and couldn't help but wonder how they base such a nice car like the 3 on the piece of crap Focus. Even though they're technically both Fords and built in the US, they're actually light-years apart in driving experience. Which makes me wonder: who are the ones buying these inferior cars except the rental companies?
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Actually the current US Focus has been hailed by many auto magazines as one of the best drivers available today. It's unfortunate that it's quality lags.

The current 3 and new S40 were developed off of the new Euro Focus which we are not getting here in the US.
  • Options
    ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    The Focus has improved warranty claims by 32% from the previous years figure, and 18% above that, this years. Amazingly even Consumer Reports has recommended the vehicle. The initial Focus' had it's problems mainly because it was a European vehicle, americanized... hence... The quality was removed from it. Over in Europe, the Focus IS the most reliable vehicle to own, near that... the Mondeo (we used to call it the Contour here).

So the adage that the Focus sucks is no longer holding true, although it'll resonate for quite some time.
  • Options
    I drove a rental Focus for over a week and really couldn't understand why C&D hyped about its handling. It didn't handle better than my old 98 Civic and the engine felt weak. Maybe it was not fitted with beefy tires, suspension and engine, but I was much happier getting back into my 6 after a week in the Focus.
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    ALL mazda3/Axela are made in Japan, as all Proteges were...
  • Options
    hboydhboyd Member Posts: 98
    All we know is that the single, major change will be the 6sp AT. Mazda will be introducing the GPS Navigation and TPMS (Tire Pressure Montr Sys) options on MY2006 vehicles. MY 2005s will have a smart passenger airbag (deativates if less than 40 lbs in seat) and get slightly better mileage: EPA 20/27;

Can anybody add to this? Got the complete list of MY2005 6 Sedan/5-dr/Wgn build configurations, option packages, options? or link to a site?
    Inquiring minds must know!

Thanks,
    Martin
  • Options
    baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    I test drove a 2003 Focus SVT 5-door, loaded with every option sans the Euro appearance pkg., and it was a pretty amazing car. It didn't have the power of my 6s but it was pretty close. The handling was much better though. Might have been a little harsh for everyday use though. I could have bought it for around $13k after X-Plan, rebates, and trade but just couldn't get past the small size. And the cheesy salesman who had to get approval from the manager for me to test drive an SVT product. Loser.

I also drove a run of the mill '03 ZX5 and was pretty impressed with the driving experience. It was much better than the ZX2 I used to own, although a little slower, and the Civic we were trying to replace. I just couldn't get used to the interior though. I've gone through the owning an economy car thing and really didn't want to do it again. Maybe an '04 with the 2.3L PZEV would have changed my mind but they were impossible to find with 5 doors and an MTX.

So I ended up getting the Mazda a few months, and a few changes of the mind, later and wouldn't change a thing. I felt that the Mazda gave me some muscle car acceleration with the handling of a sport box, AND has 4 doors to make dealing with an infant a more pleasant experience. It turned out to be a great choice because I can't wait to get in it and drive to work every day. Getting out and actually going to work is another story. :)
  • Options
    cheesehead6cheesehead6 Member Posts: 68
    From what I gather, the option packages will be different (again).

In addition to equipping the 6 cylinder AT models with a 6speed, the other major change I'm aware of is that some of the gear ratios in the 4 cylinder manual trans. models will be lowered. This will please many people, although the downside will be a loss of 1 mpg.

It looks as if the two features a lot of people have been clamoring for--NAV and Directional Stability Control--will come in 2006 or later. I'm indifferent to NAV, but if stability control is added in '07 it might convince me to trade my '04. On snow and ice it can save your A..
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking for consumers who are trading from SUVs into smaller vehicles. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by Friday, August 15, 2004.
    Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    accord7accord7 Member Posts: 96
    Bought my Mazda6s AT several days ago. It's a white non-sport with wing spoiler and sport grill added. I'll post my observations, both good and bad.

1) The ride and handling is great; it certainly lives up to the praise that it has received.

2) The build quality is very good, only one small rattle in the back.

3) Hot looking car, people stare and wave. That's just what a guy in a mid-life crisis needs!

4) Turning radius is a drawback. U-turns are not easily accomplished.

5) While the engine and transmission are good, the low speed acceleration isn't as good as the Chevy Malibu I rented a couple weeks ago. The throttle response with that GM transmission is matched perfectly. If the Malibu had better styling, it would be a huge seller.

6) The AT transmission has the gear number change on the dash, in both D and M mode. I like that.

7) The great thing about the 6 is it can serve whatever purpose you choose. If you want a quick, hot looking sport sedan, get the 6. If you want a family hauler that looks sporty, get the 6. If you want a luxury car with a firm ride and solid handling, get the 6. I find myself enjoying the sportiness on one trip, the relaxed comfort and quiet ride the next. A very well developed all-purpose car.
  • Options
    "6) The AT transmission has the gear number change on the dash, in both D and M mode. I like that."

Are you saying that it shows what gear you're in while in automatic as well as manual-matic? That would be awesome! Mine only shows it during that latter. Is your's an 04 or 05? Is there a way to "turn that on", I wonder...
  • Options
    Yes, it shows the gear change in both auto and manumatic mode. My car was built in July (2004 ). I imagine your car could be programmed to do it as well, you may want to call your dealer.
  • Options
    carlhcarlh Member Posts: 7
    I have an '04 6s and it also shows the gear in both auto and manumatic mode. It was built in May. However, I've noticed that often when I start ascending a hill and I can feel the car downshift to 4th gear the display still shows 5th gear. Ever experience this?
  • Options
    tzoomertzoomer Member Posts: 18
    Yes, in my '04 6s AT. If I accelerate again after reaching 4th or 5th gear in auto, I can feel the power come on like a mild downshift but without the gear-number changing.
    Those numbers are really handy in the "manual" setting, because touching the self-centering paddle-shifter doesn't give the gear away as it does in an real manual.
  • Options
    Yes, my 04 6sAT does it as well; though I have to "toggle" over to manual mode to see the gear number. I can tell that it is not still in 5th, because I hear and feel it downshift. If I manually drop to 4th, there is no shift (since it was really in 4th anyway). Occassionally happens with 4th/3rd as well, but mostly with 5th/4th.
  • Options
    Mine does the same thing. The display may not always correspond to the gear I'm in, like on a hill as you say. Overall I'm pleased with it.
  • Options
    big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    Does anyone know if they will be offering the DVD Navigation system as on option on the 05 Mazda6? They offer the system on the smaller, less expensive Mazda3 so I was curious if they were going to make it available for the Mazda6. The little storage space at the top of the dash looks like it was made with the same intent as that on the Mazda3. Just curious.
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    no navigation planned for the 2005 MZ6....I have been told that 2006 should include navigation, but nothing confirmed. They told me last year why there was no nav available, but I can't remember the specifics. Old age is setting in.

Rich
  • Options
    alan1111alan1111 Member Posts: 10
    I test drove a Mazda6 today. The position of the gas pedal and the way the center console protrudes inward, created an uncomfortable position and caused my leg to go numb after about 1/2 hr. Never had this problem in any car before. Is anyone else experiencing this?
  • Options
    I have driven 6 hours straight and never had the problem you were describing. No, I wasn't using cruise control.
  • Options
    grahambgrahamb Member Posts: 45
    my knee hits the center console...but in my three months of being a mazda 6 owner, my leg as never gone numb while driving. I don't even really notice that it hits anymore.

i gotta say...i love this car!
  • Options
    qddaveqddave Member Posts: 164
    Just want to throw a few tidbits of info out here. I don't know if it was confirmed or not, but the upcoming 6 speed auto for the Mazda6 will be manufactured by Aisin and will have the select shift option.

Also, in 2008 (perhaps even 2007) we may see the 3.5L V6 as an option. Ford is definitely going to offer it in the other CD3 (Mazda6) platforms such as the Fusion and Aviator. No output numbers available.
  • Options
    Here in the Northeast, mazda is now offering 0% for 60 months on all 2004 MZ6. If you do not take the financing the rebate remains at $1500. This is a limited program for the holiday weekend. program ends 9/6/04.

I don't know if this is offered in all regions.
  • Options
    in a last minute change...the 0% for 60 months is good thru 11/1/04 on Mazda6
  • Options
    steve71635steve71635 Member Posts: 2
    I have a M6s with the automatic 5 speed or manual select tramsmission. When in full automatic mode in passing situations with speeds exceeding 65 MPH, with the pedal fully depressed - the transmission will down shift as it should BUT, it will never up shift as long as the pedal is fully depressed. That means that it will continue to accelerate until the engine reaches the redline. At that point a safety cut off will basically shut the engine down until the RPMs decrease below redline area. Then it will "cough" in and out of "run mode" until the driver pats the gas pedal and makes it upshift. It is repeatable. I have taken it to dealers for service. They have run diagnostics and communicated with the central Mazda service center. All settings are correct and functioning. It is either a basic design fault that is quite dangerous or a malfunction. Appeal to national Mazda has fallen on deaf ears with a response of "operator problems".

Most automatics upshift when a given rpm or corresponding vacuum level is reached, thus preventing over revving the engine while still providing power.

Has anyone else out there had this very dangerous problem? I can tell you that it is quite distressing when staring at oncoming traffic with not get up and go to save you.
  • Options
    It should shift at, or before, redline.
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    The 0.0% sounds nice but after a quick look I am still unable to find a 6 equipped the way I would buy it.
  • Options
    chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    that the transmission did not shift.
    It hit redline and basically cut off.

I did not like it.

MY 99 protege keeps the rev going until it hits the redline. But it shifts at that point, rather than cutting power.
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Just one of many reasons to buy a manual transmission. ; ^ )
  • Options
    zzzooomzzzooom Member Posts: 17
    I recently purchased my 2nd Mazda 6. Some experiences to share:

A little over a year ago, I purchased a 6s Manual Sedan and now have 27K miles on it. Initially I was concerned about buying a new car during the first year of production; however, the car was (and still is)fabulous and I am a very picky person. The handling is superb and the quality and workmanship are second to none. But I promised it to my son when he went off to school and I was forced to begin shopping for a replacement this summer.

As a replacement I seriously wanted a BMW 3 series. I drove and looked and every time I got back in the 6, I asked myself, why? The 6 was that good. Then I decided to shop the Acura TL - A very nice car. I was tempted, but basically had the same feeling every time I drove the 6, especially right after test driving the TL: The 6s handled, braked, and accelerated as well or better. The TL was more upscale as far as interior appointments, but the 10K difference didn't justify a change. So, rebates and a brand new 6s hatchback coming right off the truck put me in my 2nd Mazda 6s,manual, this time a hatchback.

I have had the second 6 for three weeks now. Initial observations indicate that Mazda has taken some short cuts since inception of the 6 OR the quality oversight is not as good as it initially was. Specifically, the leather seats are not of the same quality as in the 2003 model and the fit and finish are not "perfect" like in the 2003 model. I am mildly disappointed. Also the Bose stereo does not have as good a sound as in the 2003, but that may be related to the fact that the subwoofer in the hatchback is located differently than in the sedan.

However, all that notwithstanding, I have a fully loaded Mazda 6s hatchback for a drive out price of $23K. After driving everything under the sun as a potential replacement, nothing touches it for the combination of driving fun, practicality and value.

MAZDA..watch your quality! Zoom Zoom combined with quality is an unbeatable combination. Zoom Zoom with Ford quality will relegate Mazda to a has-been.

I may have to take back my 2003 from my son and give him the new 2004 hatchback......I like the 2003 that much!
  • Options
    tzoomertzoomer Member Posts: 18
    If you will check the Mazda6 owner's manual, you'll find a Note on p. 5-13 that states "In [AT] manual shift mode, gears do not shift up automatically.... [In the] RED ZONE...fuel delivery will be stopped to protect the engine. However, this does not indicate an abnormality." In other words, it is acting exactly like a true manual shift here. That does sound like a deliberate design decision to me, to hang YOU out to dry rather than the engine, if you don't take the counter-intuitive action of lifting off to get an up shift.

Or maybe you aren't driving fast enough when you overtake, for a table on p. 5-14 indicates that shifting from M4 -> M5, while at kickdown, is "only possible" after reaching 109 mph ! The next table suggests that top speed in 4th gear should be 120 mph! Check how fast YOU are going when you hit the redline?

Is this good, or is there a contradiction in the engineering specifications?

Note also, that the Traction Control System will also make a decision for you by taking torque away from you automatically when it detects slippage, so I guess we shouldn't try to pass on a wet road either.
  • Options
    That's for "Manual mode" on the AT. The original post referred to "fully automatic" mode. I'll agree that in MT, the driver should be left out to dry, but in AT the car should make a smarter decision. Truth is, Mazda has some work to do on this AT.

I had a situation in AT the other day where I thought the distributor went out or something because it felt like I lost engine power (at 45MPH) for about a second. I guess it was "trying" to downshift from 5th to give me some power, but it took a while to "kick in". When you're turning across traffic, that second feels like an eternity.
  • Options
    groovypippingroovypippin Member Posts: 264
    Perhaps for current owners, but the current transmission is disappearing in 2005, replaced with a new six speed manual.
  • Options
    ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    It's a 6 Speed automatic. Same one that will be fitted to the new Ford 500./Mercury Montego.
  • Options
    groovypippingroovypippin Member Posts: 264
    Absolutely correct. My typo.
  • Options
    misterbillmisterbill Member Posts: 60
    A few weeks ago I asked about a moonroof wind deflector for my new Mazda6 5-door. Someone said they got a tape-on model at some local auto chain, but I don't feel like going the tape route. I found a Benevento brand model on ebay for around $47 shipped. They are apparently a (the?) major deflector manufacturer and theirs are held on by screws. Has anyone used one of them?
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    There's a nice long term article on the Mazda6 in the October Automobile magazine....
  • Options
    daves4daves4 Member Posts: 6
    Can anyone tell me where the info. about sab/sac being standard on 05 is posted. I also don't want a sunroof and will postpone my 6s purchase if I can confirm this. Thanks
  • Options
    It's not actually standard, but it's included with all trim levels except the base 6i. This means that most of the 05s will have it, and I suspect that it will be hard to find units without it. So while it's technically not standard equipment, for practical purposes it is. I have also postponed my purchase partially for this reason.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    TONIGHT - 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET
    Get LIVE feedback on your maintenance or repair problems. Join our guest experts alcan, 0patience, and mr_shiftright as they tackle your fix-it questions!

• Options
    daves4daves4 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for replying to my post so quickly. I am looking forward to get a 6s. with a manual trans. and sport package. So I assume that that will include the sab/ sac. Have you heard any thing about new colors being added to the sedan or hatch? I really like the squall blue. Also can you tell me where I can get more info on the changes for 05. aside from town hall? Thanks Again