Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda6 Wagon

Comments

• Options
    hooksemhooksem Member Posts: 2
    I am very close to buying an '04 Mazda 6 Wagon and had a question about the auto tranny. The one I'm looking at is a 5spd automatic (I believe). If I go and configure a '05 on the Mazda site, a 6spd automatic is available. Was this not an option in '04? Or when does the 6th gear kick in??

Thanks much!
  • Options
    btrostbtrost Member Posts: 6
    The 2004 wagons only came with a 5-speed automatic. The 2005 models added a new 6-speed auto and made side air bags standard - the airbags were optional in 04.
  • Options
    hooksemhooksem Member Posts: 2
    I've read that factory roof rails are not available to purchase after-the-fact. That is somewhat disappointing. The fully-loaded '04 wagon that I am going to purchase is w/o them. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would think I would be able to install them myself if I could find them from a third party. I really didnt want to install door mounted rails. However, if anyone has success stories, I'd love to hear them as well. I appreciate y'alls time!
  • Options
    forddollyforddolly Member Posts: 2
    We live in Chicago suburb and just bought a 04 mazda6s black wagon last week. It's a brand new one with only 50 miles on it and some nice features:

Automatic
    Bose speaker and 6 CD changer
    Moon roof
    Spoiler and Cargo net
    Compass mirror
    Side sill extension
    Chrome appearance package
    and so on

There is also a VIP program from the dealer (basically just free car wash + free road assistance)

The MSRP is $27100 and the outdoor price with tax and license fee is $29157. After nearly 3 hours negotiation, we got the outdoor price including tax, license fee and everything at $19600 with a full tank of gas.

It's almost $10000 off from the original outdoor price. We are so happy with this deal. The only bad thing is my wife won’t let me drive as she loves the handling so much. The engine is smooth and the extra space in this wagon is very functional. We benefit a lot from the post in this board and hope our experience is helpful for you guys. Good luck on your Mazda purchase.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It's Tuesday, so that means it's time for the first of our two weekly chat sessions. Tonight we'll talk Mazda and anything else that happens to come up!

PF Flyer
    Host
    News & Views, Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles

The Mazda Mania Chat is on tonight. Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • Options
    ydnarydnar Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone tried to install an ipod via direct hookup to the back of the Bose head? I am assuming that the option for a minidisk player or tape player means that there will be an input available.

Thanks
    Randy
  • Options
    yustasyustas Member Posts: 31
    Some post here about tire pressure are wrong and dangerous. You do NOT inflate tire to the number on the sidewall! You DO NOT get much better MPG, but you DO wear them much faster. You DO get worse traction and, as a result, longer stopping distances. Also, that is COLD pressure. After driving about 20 miles in 30 minutes, cold 33 PSI become 38PSI. And cold 41 PSI-pretty dangerous 46-48PSI. And tires DO blowout from overinflation. The Ford-Firestone fiasco cannot be any guide in this question also.
  • Options
    slickdogslickdog Member Posts: 225
    Thanks for posting. I was waiting for someone to back me up!
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Tire pressure is always measured cold.

Ask any competant tire store (k-mart does not count). 40 psi is not dangerous - bicyles with skinny litte tires go to 110 psi. Stiffer sidewalls mean less tire flex and less wear, less heat, and better mileage, and generally better handling. Ride of course suffers and you will feel vibrations in the steering wheel if balance if off. It is not dangerous to inflate to the pressure on the sidewall when the tire is cold. It may not be the best combination of ride and handling, but it is not dangerous. Extreme overinglation 60-70 psi can cause problems (although some truck tires are designed for these inflations)

Look at the manual for a german car made for the autobahn - it will reccomend higher tire pressures for continued high speed driving. This is because the tires will run cooler and will be safer.

Here is a car going 187 mph running 37/44 cold psi.

http://www.nsxprime.com/Gallery/POTM/99december.htm

It is not a coincidence that most regular passenger tires are labeled 35 or 36 psi on the sidewall while high speed tires are usually labeled 44.

Most high performance cars have higher tire pressures so the tires run cooler and handle better. BMW M5 recommends 41 front and 44 rear for running with a full load.

Underinflating is dangerous. Of course never inflate above the number on the sidewall.

Probably best to continue this on a tire thread though.
  • Options
    If you want to get deep into it on tires, here's the link to follow!

Tires, tires, tires

PF Flyer
    Host
  • Options
    suptoysreetsuptoysreet Member Posts: 1
    i know.love my 6, but when it come to after market accessories, mazda is helpless. i' ve been amputee from left leg and need deeply the roof bars to hop from front to rear. look everywhere. can't find those damned things .finaly ask my brother in law to order them for me at.......... MAZDA DEALER in europe where he lives.and i m thinking of buying even more staff from him.nav syst,back up sensor,headlights washer etc... all from the mazda dealer genuine part world bin please let me know if you get any info good luck
  • Options
    greenicegreenice Member Posts: 41
    I noticed that within the last week or so a huge number of slightly used
    (10000 - 15000 miles) Mazda6 wagons showed up on autotrader.com.
    Only 3 weeks ago there were only two or three maybe.
    Does anybody have an idea where all these cars are coming from?
  • Options
    mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Chances are real good that they are rental returns.
  • Options
    greenicegreenice Member Posts: 41
    Has anybody actually seen Mazda 6 WAGONS in rental fleets.
    I haven't, but this may be just me ...
  • Options
    mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    I'm looking to buy new all-weather floor mats before next winter, and I'm shying away from the OEM, mostly due to the price. Can anyone out there recommend a quality set of floormats that will trap the winter muck without any problems. I'd love to get mats contoured only for the 6, but I'm willing to look into any "unviersal-fit" mats that are recommended.

Any input would be greatly appreciated... :)
  • Options
    deronderon Member Posts: 3
    The Mazda 6 wagon mated to a Ford 6 cyl engine will never meet the reliability of a Honda or Toyota. Its a piece of junk. Although parts will be easy to get as Fords are always breaking down.

The Mazda 6 wagon needs the same reliable 4cyl engine that is offered in the sedan.

:D
    Deron.
  • Options
    autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    Do you know which Ford models use this engine?

Is this coming from experience, in other words, have you ever had a Ford 6 cylinder?
  • Options
    I agree that the 4-cyl should be offered in the wagon.
  • Options
    charlotte7charlotte7 Member Posts: 144
    Wouldn't it be pretty underpowered? I can't imagine there's a huge market for 4-cylinder wagons outside of the Outback, which has the added benefit of AWD. Saturn just canned their wagons entirely, and I don't think the ZXW Fords sell really well, either, though I could be wrong.
  • Options
  • Options
    dan bitmandan bitman Member Posts: 158
    indeed- a super-deal.
    I wonder though, what's the reliability expectation for a brand new car discounted already for ten thousand dollars...
    Why Toyota, Honda and all German brands are not offering such sweet super-deals??
    Good luck and enjoy your new Mazda-wagon!
    Dan
  • Options
    So, what is an issue here? Engine or a body? Granted, Ford quality is really a misnomer, but I have 2000 Ford Taurus with the same Duratec engine, without VVT. 86000 mi and still going strong. Doesn't smoke, doesn't leak or eat oil. Runs on original spark plugs! Nothing was done to an engine but oil changes, as for the car itself... :(
  • Options
    "Wouldn't it be pretty underpowered?"

No more than the sedan - the difference in weight is insignificant.

The Outback has similar power and has the added drag of AWD - so it is even more underpowered. Isn't the Outback/Legacy the best selling wagon in the country.
  • Options
    It may be the bestselling wagon in the country, but there really aren't that many wagons on the market, and very few with AWD that the average person can afford (under $25K). I think part of their success is that they don't have a lot of competition. They are certainly very underpowered in the base model 4-cylinder.

I bought an 04 Outback in June 04 and just sold it last week. It was a miserable experience--I don't know if I got a lemon or what, as I know other folks who are happy with their Subarus, but mine got abysmal gas mileage, had starting problems, and wouldn't run properly on 87 octane. I wasn't impressed at all.
  • Options
    96corolla96corolla Member Posts: 94
    Both the 6 Wagon and the 3 hatch are sweet in terms of styling, but the mileage is bad on the 6(seems to be a concern for many posters) and I don't have alot of confidence regarding reliability for either. The 6 now gets poor reliability ratings, albeit from a relatively small number of samples(It's still pretty new). The 3 seems to get great ratings, yet when I go to the 3 board, there are many many people complaining about them. Also, there seems to be a lot of them for sale on ebay and other sites. Are people getting rid of them for some reason??? Who knows.

I'm generally a fan of Mazda and I think they are A+ from a styling perspective, but I'd be so much fore comfortable buying a Honda or Toyota and that is why I want to see a Civic, Accord, or true Corolla Wagaon.
  • Options
    The 3 seems to get great ratings, yet when I go to the 3 board, there are many many people complaining about them.
    I've noticed that most people on the 3 boards are enjoying their vehicles. A few people have some complaints and are persistent in airing them. Consumer Reports rated the Mazda 3 reliable.

I'm generally a fan of Mazda and I think they are A+ from a styling perspective, but I'd be so much fore comfortable buying a Honda or Toyota and that is why I want to see a Civic, Accord, or true Corolla Wagaon.
    I agree with you, a Corolla Wagon would be an interesting addition to the lineup. I guess since Toyota introduced the Matrix, the Corolla Wagon may be a while in coming. Have you tried the Mazda 3 hatchback?
  • Options
    cnybrocnybro Member Posts: 29
    OK, flame bait. I'll take it because I have both. I just traded in a 96 Taurus with the Duratec V6. It's actually a great engine. Never any problems with the engine itself and never used a drop of oil in 85K miles. The block is the same in the Mazda, but with reworked heads and VVT for an extra 20 horses. It's not the most efficient V6 compared to Honda and Toyota, but then again it doesn't drink Premium fuel like Nissan's 3.5 V6.

If you're trying to ruin your credibility here, I'd say you're doing an excellent job so far.
  • Options
    You are correct, the 3 does get great ratings from Consumer Reports. I did mention that in my post. It just seems like a lot of complaints on the board, but maybe you are right and it is the same persistent posters. The other bothersome thing is that there does seem to be many of them for sale and that doesn't give me a warm fuzzy. THAT SAID, I am a fan o Mazda. Drove a 99 626 for a few years with zero problems, and now have a 00 MPV so far with zero problems(fingers crossed). My only real problem with mazda is their crappy OEM equipment.

I had to replace the front tires after ~ 1 year and I did all the rotations, etc. Had a a similar problem with the front brakes. I drive a 96 Corolla. The OEM tires lasted me ~ 5 years, battery 5 years, just changed the rear brakes about 1 year go and the front brakes lasted ~ 4 - 5 years. No comparison. Again though, other then that complaint, I've not had a problem with my Mazda's.

I have not tried the 3 hatch. I am dying to, but just haven't gotten around to it. Plus, I'm not really ready to buy yet so I don't feel like playing the whole dealer game and also don't want to fall in love with the thing. I'm 31 and my personal concern about the 3 hatch is that I'll look like I'm going through mid life crisis. I mostly see young kids and twenty somethings driving them. Regarding the Matrix, I understand that it is basicall a Corolla(Platform), but it doesn't do a whole lot for me in the way of styling. I think if Toyota had lower ground clearance regular Corolla base wagon/hatch similar to the 3, they'd clean up. Both toyota and Honda would.
  • Options
    Don't let this turn into something personal between users. Stick to the topics and we'll be fine. Thanks!

PF Flyer
    Host

The Subaru Crew Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • Options
    Interesting comments. A few questions for you.
    Are you the sole driver of your MPV?

Tires: What brand and how many miles did your 00MPV tires have when they had to be replaced?

Brakes: Would you say your style of braking is "agressive", "average" , "mild-mannered"?

p.s. my previous car, a Corolla, was a wonderfully boring machine : no unexpected visits to the dealer or garage except for regular maintenance. Toyota knew how to make me happy by not giving me engine worries, reliability problems, etc.
  • Options
    Exactly!!! Although Toyota may be on the boring side, there are no worries. You have the utmost confidence in the car. Same thing for my Corolla. A little over 100K, and besides one problem that was becuase of my own stupidity, I haven't had to do a thing(fingers crossed) besides regular maintenance. That is why I think a Toyota wagon(not matrix) would sell like bonkers. If the 6 wagon or 3 hatch had a toyota bade on them, I'd probably go buy tomorrow. Again, this is from someone whose had relatively good luck with Mazda's so I'm not trying to trash Mazda within that statement.

Regarding your question on my tires and brakes they were actually on the 99 626 which we got brand new. Tires were some balogna skin bridestone junk. Our driving of the 626 wasn't any more aggressive then it is/was for the Corolla so I don't think that can be attributed to the premature brake ware. It is a slightly bigger/heavier vehicle so things will go faster, but they should not have gone that fast.

The one complaint I see over and over again on the Mazda boards is Mazda corporates lack of support when something goes wrong. When I had this disappointing experience with the OEM equipment, I wrote a letter to Mazda. I basically told them that if they really want to compete with Toyota and Honda they have to put better OEM equipment on the cars. A few weeks later some kid called me and apologized and that was that. The tires were also still under Warranty and Mazda wanted nothing to do with that either. They referred me to bridestone and basically went away. Again, I don't hate Mazda I just don't have quite the confidence and respect from a reliability and support standpoint. As far as styling goes - Mazda is A+
  • Options
    I invested in the Mazda all-weather floor mats right after I purchased my wagon in November, and they are definitely worth the money for me. They fit perfectly and are very high quality in my opinion, did a wonderful job of keeping most of the salt out of my carpet, and I didn't have a chunk of ice under my right foot in February this year either. They're also great for protecting the carpet from my kids who can't be bothered to kick the slush out of their shoes before jumping into my new car!

I ordered my mats from Trussville Mazda's online parts store (trussvillemazda.com) with some other accessories. They are priced at $50.70 there, which is a nice discount from the $75 MSRP that some dealers want to charge you. Sometimes they have a free shipping offer going as well.

You may want to check on e-bay as well, sometimes slightly used OEM accessories pop up there and you should be able to get them for much less than the cost of new. I can't recommend anything other than OEM, because that's what I usually get. I'm too fussy about the way they fit to buy anything else!
  • Options
    Forgot to mention that Rosenthal Mazda (finishlineperformance.com) also sells OEM accessories at discount prices, and they have the all weather mats available for the exact same price as Trussville Mazda.
  • Options
    When I had this disappointing experience with the OEM equipment, I wrote a letter to Mazda. I basically told them that if they really want to compete with Toyota and Honda they have to put better OEM equipment on the cars. A few weeks later some kid called me and apologized and that was that. The tires were also still under Warranty and Mazda wanted nothing to do with that either. They referred me to bridestone and basically went away.

I believe it's fairly standard for automakers to separate the warranty for tires from the rest of the machine. For my P5, Mazda provided the Dunlop Tire warranty card and basically said go to them not us if you have problems with premature wear or other tire problems.

I agree with you as consumers that we need to realize a car is a package with many components supplied by external companies as well as the automaker. If that package is lacking, the reputation of the automaker, not the supplier, suffers in the eyes of consumers.

On the other hand, the package we consumers want is sometimes image. I was attracted to the P5 in part because of its Zoom-Zoom qualities and I would not be pleased if I did not see performance tires on my machine. Now that my performance tires have worn down I will likely buy tires that are more durable (and hopefully reasonably Zoom-Zoomable).

As consumers we have to educate ourselves about the elements in the package and their value. If we don't approve of a component, either say so upon purchase or look elsewhere if it's really important. When I was considering a Camry, the salesman was happy to upgrade the tires on the car if I was willing to pay the premium. On the other hand, now that Consumer Reports has rated many small cars without side air bags lacking in safety I think we'll see several automakers providing this as standard equipment to prove they are "safer" than their competition. And then some will wonder why they have to pay extra for the car.

Last point : it's hard to beat Toyota. They seem ready to rule the auto world!
  • Options
    fitguyfitguy Member Posts: 220
    "Last point : it's hard to beat Toyota. They seem ready to rule the auto world!"

I dunno- the Camry is a nice reliable, homely, Yawn-to Drive car- easy to beat, in my book. I have both a Honda and Toyota dealership 1.5 miles from my house, but bought a Mazda 25 miles away, and traded an Accord on it. Didn't even drive a Camry- just too bland and common. Where Toyota shines is on the 4-Runner and the Prius, there they are probably best-in-class. Although the interior bits in the M6 might not be quite as high-grade as the Camry, the 6 is a sports sedan; the Camry, an appliance. But then, you're a Mazda owner, so you already know that! :shades:
  • Options
    orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    You are worried that driving a 3 hatch at 31 years old would make you look like you were having a midlife crisis...just because the average age of people who drive them is a few years younger than you? Come on, man! Please...
    The 3 is a beautiful car and people of all ages are driving them..it's not as if you were putting a metal wing and coffee can exhaust on the back.
    Buy a car you like...who cares who else drives them! The 3 blows the Corolla away!

Would you rather look boring in a Corolla or cool in a 3? ;>)
  • Options
    fitguy said: the Camry is a nice reliable, homely, Yawn-to Drive car- easy to beat, in my book
    orangelebaron said:
    Would you rather look boring in a Corolla or cool in a 3?

Obvously, I agree with you both, otherwise what am I doing on a Mazda board. ;)

What impresses me about Toyota is their unrelenting nature: if you've looked at some of their Lexus product line in the 2005 auto shows and their determination to get ahead in the F1 race series, you may have remarked they are stopping at nothing. Over one billion dollars spent on their F1 team to date; the new IS is going to be stunning and some of their other models are outrageous. And where Lexus goes, the pedestrian line of Camry and Corolla will follow. In other words, Toyota has heard the charge of being "boring" and has snapped into action. The Matrix and Scion tC are early examples; in a few years we will be using a new vocabulary when we talk about the mundane Camry and Corolla. That is one reason, I think, other automakers like Mazda have to continue to be ingenious and bring new products to market, otherwise they will be left in Toy dust.
  • Options
    autonomus- you make a very good point, and to add- look at the restyle of the Solara: some like it, some don't, but you gotta admit it's agressive. One thing that Toyota also has vs. Mazda is size- bigger company, bigger market share, ability to try things and recover from a mistake if it happens. Mazda doesn't have that luxury- they've got to get it near-right from the get-go. It still amazes me how few 6's you see on the road, it being such a neat car and a very good value. They just don't stick in the consumers mind as a "bulletproof" Japanese make, which draws so many to Honda and Toyota- they are reaonably "safe" bets. If the '04/'05 6's prove very reliable (as mine has) and Mazda corrects some of the little complaints (road noise, some cheap materials) they hopefully will gain more notice amongst the "mainstream" sedan buyers who want a sportier drive.
    And, 96Corolla mentioned he was afraid of looking like a mid-life crisis guy at age 31 for buying a 3? Don't be concerned- I'm 49 and drive a Volcanic Red 6S w/spoiler, sport kit, sunroof, etc and beyond my mid-life crisis (well, mostly). I say to anyone who suggests that to me : :P !- when you start making the payment, you can suggest what I should be driving! :shades:
  • Options
    One thing that Toyota also has vs. Mazda is size- bigger company, bigger market share, ability to try things and recover from a mistake if it happens. Mazda doesn't have that luxury- they've got to get it near-right from the get-go
    True enough. Now that Mazda is part of the Ford family, I wonder if they may have some cushion. You've got to be a big player to survive in the big league.

when you start making the payment, you can suggest what I should be driving!
    I like that, have you copyrighted it, yet?
  • Options
    First great quote! Second, I think your comment about so few 6's on the road is right on. I always thought that about Mazda in general. Even though the last generation 626 got a lot of bad press for being a bland car, I owned one and thought it was great(99). What a value too!! I think I paid like 16 for it or something. It was a very good car. My only complaint was what I put in previous quotes that their OEM equipment was not comparable to Toyota. Mazda makes some really nice vehicles. For some reason though, people still lack that over the top confidence that they have in Toyo and Honda. Perhaps it is more perception then reality, I'm not sure, but regardless of the reason, they just can't get there. The 6 wagons are sweeeet and for the price/size/style, there is nothing comparable on the road yet they just aren't out there in abundance. The only explanation is a lack of confidence in Mazda reliability and/or loyalty to other brands. I also realize the 6 wagon is guzzler.

Last point, I'm not sure that being in the ford family helps Mazda. For me personally, it is a negative. Right or wrong, there are folks that believe in Japanese reliability and any relationship to an American car is seen as a risk. Again, I'm not claiming to be right on the subject and saying it definately IS a negative. What I am saying is that some folks do/will percieve it as a negative because they'd NEVER buy a Ford.
  • Options
    No copyright, but I'm workin' on it! And to 96corolla- I think you may be on to something re: the Ford/Mazda connection, although many car shoppers probably don't know that fact and the Mazda dealer isn't going to promote it! I also own a Ford Expy for boat towing; I've owned a bunch of Ford's but this will probably be my last. I've had fairly good luck w/it but at 41K things are already starting to appear (plus it was part of the infamous "spontaneous combustion" recall). As much as I'd like to by American for my next SUV (and still might), the 4-Runner shure looks like the best-built mid-size SUV. But anyways, I'm getting off-topic: the M6 wagon is still the coolest-looking car-based wagon around!
  • Options
    Last point, I'm not sure that being in the ford family helps Mazda. For me personally, it is a negative. Right or wrong, there are folks that believe in Japanese reliability and any relationship to an American car is seen as a risk. Again, I'm not claiming to be right on the subject and saying it definately IS a negative. What I am saying is that some folks do/will percieve it as a negative because they'd NEVER buy a Ford.

This is interesting because the reality is moving faster than our perceptions. Consumer Reports has been reporting that the reliability of American cars (like the new Cadillac CTS) are catching up to the Japanese. It's Mercedes and other European brands that have the most issues regarding reliability. Wouldn't most of us think Mercedes as being more reliable than Ford? Well, according to CR, one of the most reliable new cars is not a Mercedes but a Ford, the new Mustang which had a problem rate of 5 problems per 100 cars "on a par with the best from Toyota and Honda". Compare that to the Mercedes E (with 30 problems per 100).

Let's hope that competition drives all the automakers to make better products. Those who can not pass the test should make room for the others. And those who make an honest effort, like Cadillac and Ford, will hopefully be recognized.
  • Options
    stkntrafficstkntraffic Member Posts: 172
    I just got back from a local Mazda dealer. We were looking at a brand new Squall Blue wagon, a stripper - no options - 5 speed stick with cloth interior.

The best the salesman could do was $22500 out the door (our tax rate is 8.25), so that's about 21K including the rebate.

Do you think that was a good deal or not?
  • Options
    No, not really. I can see a price for barebone Mazda 6 wagon as 19,528, including destination. Thank you, Internet. But that is really with no option. Still, much better than your price, don't you think? ;) I forgot to mention, that is with Mazda financing.
  • Options
    "I also realize the 6 wagon is guzzler."

Not mine! Just got back from a road trip last night, and I somehow managed 27.8 MPG over 1300+ miles! That's not a mistake either, because I calculated it 3 times in disbelief. Most of that was highway driving, but I used the A/C for about 1/4 of the distance, and there was plenty of weight in the car too. I'm close to 6K miles on the odometer now. Before the trip my mileage was usually between 19-24 MPG, closer to 24 since temperatures have increased this spring.

BTW, I loved my 626 too (a '00 LX-V6). The styling may have been a bit bland and it didn't have a lot raw power but it was quick enough for me with the MT and it handled better than anything else I could afford.
  • Options
    "I also realize the 6 wagon is guzzler."

"Not mine! Just got back from a road trip last night, and I somehow managed 27.8 MPG over 1300+ miles!"

For a car the size of the 6, 27.8 for all highway is not that great. The much larger and more powerful Avalon is EPA rated at 31 highway to the 27 of the Mazda 6. 27 is still minivan territory (and worse than some V-8's)

I do hope this is addressed - hopefully with a 4-cylinder version or even an efficient 6. Of course a diesel would be great as well.
  • Options
    improve the mileage, I would definately be sold. I must say, the 27 is better then I would have expected, even if it is not great.
  • Options
    improve the mileage ... 27 is better then I would have expected, even if it is not great.

What kind of mpg are you expecting from a wagon like the Mazda6?

It may be argued that the intention of a wagon design is to carry more cargo and the heavier load requires a bigger engine. Do you think that a 4 cylinder wagon would be perceived as being underpowered?

I suspect that wagons are a niche market, and having variants (4 cylinder and 6 cylinder) may not always be cost-effective for an automanufacturer so they choose the model they judge would be most well-received in the marketplace. Does anyone know what the ratio of the US sales of the Mazda6 wagons are to the total Mazda 6 lineup?
  • Options
    "For a car the size of the 6, 27.8 for all highway is not that great. The much larger and more powerful Avalon is EPA rated at 31 highway to the 27 of the Mazda 6. 27 is still minivan territory (and worse than some V-8's)"

I'll agree that relative to everything else out there on the road, the Mazda6 mileage is not that great. However, there isn't another wagon of similar price and size sold in the US that does a whole lot better. My wife has an Outback with the H4, and it does a bit better on the highway at 28-30MPG, but isn't nearly as much fun to drive and does tend to bog down on hills when it's loaded with people and luggage. I bought the Mazda6 expecting sub 30MPG mileage, but as a trade off for better handling (among other things) than the competition.
  • Options
    My 4-cylinder 2004 Outback was lucky to see 26 mpg on the highway. I think I got that mileage exactly once. In mostly-city driving, it got 16 mpg. By comparison, for the extra power, the Mazda6 would be a superior deal!
This discussion has been closed.