Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Wagon

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Get those snacks and drinks ready because it's almost time to open up the chat room again! See you there in a bit!

PF Flyer
    Host
    News & Views, Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles

The Mazda Mania Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    True there are not too many other wagons, but there are some. The Focus has the same interior volume as the 6 and gets 35 highway. The Passat gets 32, and the Legacy gets 30 (a couple better than the Outback).

I don't think a 4-cyl wagon would be underpowered. The extra space in a wagon mostly helps with bulky items. People tend to not dump a ton of gravel in the back of a wagon like they might with a pickup. Bicycles are bulky and don't really fit in sedans, but they sure don't weigh down a wagon. 1 or 2 hundred extra pounds in a wagon would barely be noticeable.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    I agree with you, Dudley, that there are some interesting alternatives.

A neighbour has the Focus wagon and lugs his bike without a sweat in the cavernous trunk. It's a zippy 4 cylinder with excellent fuel economy and cheaper than the 6 wagon. On the other hand, the 6 appears larger, less box like and better appointed.

For those with some extra cash, the Passat and Legacy are interesting; and the turbo diesel Passat must sip fuel like a real miser.

Likely it's that Ford Duratec V6 engine that is responsible for the poor fuel economy of the Mazda 6. The 2.3 litre 4 cylinder of the hatchback may be the better choice at this point for those seeking fuel efficiency with a larger cargo area.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I'm not sure where you're getting your stats on MPG. I have friends with Passat wagons and they sure don't get 32 mpg, more low-mid 20's. The Outback isn't that great either; don't know about the Legacy but few AWD vehicles get 30 mpg. I had a Forester and pretty much averaged 20 mpg around town and that was a 4 cyl (but AWD which adds weight). I would like the Mazda6 to get better mileage too but let's not overestimate the competition that's out there. Apples to apples, 6 cyl wagons compared, the mileage is not that bad but not that great. And many people, myself included, like the extra boost from the 6 cyl because wagons are often carrying people as well as cargo. I found the 4 cyl. engines of the Forester and Outback somewhat underpowered for their weight.

Finally, even if the mpg is better, I stayed away from the Passat due to reliability questions. Ditto the Subaru from personal experience. I hope the situation improves in the future -- so we can get power, reliability and mpg -- possibly hybrid wagons will provide the key. But for now, tradeoffs are the rule.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    The mpg stats are from the EPA, so apples to apples.

www.fueleconomy.gov

I am not saying the 6 wagon is a bad vehicle. It does well in many areas - fuel economy just is not one of them. With gas prices over $2 that looms larger. The strange thing is that the 626 used to beat the Accord and Camry for mpg (all models being 4-cyl.) Also the current 4 in the M6 is quite powerfull - nearly as much as the old v-6.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    and real world stats do not often agree. According to the EPA, my Subaru should have gotten, at worst, 21 mpg, but its around town driving was more like 18-- just like my old Toyota minivan. My Nissan Maxima and Mazda6 are rated the same: 19-26, but I consistently get higher mpg with the Max -- more like 23-28-- and lower with the M6 -- 20-24. It's frustrating because you buy a vehicle thinking you'll get a certain type of mileage and then it turns out to be somewhat exaggerated. The 626 probably got better fuel economy in the late 90's because it was so underpowered. My God, that thing was slow.

Actually we agree: the Mazda6 is a great car with a weakness that I hope future years correct. It should at least get as good mileage as my Maxima. But I'm not sure there's a good alternative at this point in time that I feel I can trust reliability-wise.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • cdnp5cdnp5 Member Posts: 163
    So I checked your gov't website and this is what it said....All models are 2005 and 6 cylinders.

Mz6-Wgn (Auto)
    Hwy 27

VW-Passat Wgn (Auto)
    Hwy 27

Subaru Outback Wgn (Auto)
    Hwy 25

Seems like the 6 is right in line with the competition.
    The point is you can get the others with a 4-cyl if you want better mileage.

You can even get the Passat with a diesel that gets 30/38 EPA. A diesel that has more torque than the V-6 in the 6.

Also the MT versions of the two you mentioned get better mpg (Mazda has short gearing so the opposite is true). Toyota and Honda are the V-6 mileage leaders with the Avalon at 31 Hwy with 280 hp and an automatic. Toyota and Honda just don't offer wagons.

The old Taurus with the Duratec engine got 27-29 mpg highway 10 years ago. I would think that could be improved on.

MPG is not the most important thing to me, but when it is below a certian point I won't consider the vehicle. With a good efficient engine the 6 wagon would be my first choice for a fun family car. As it is I won't even consider one. What is the point of having a fun little car to use when you don't want to take the minivan somewhere, when the little car actually uses more gas - Honda Odyssey (20/28)
    Yes Honda and Toyota can make more efficient engines but Mazda's V6 is the same as most other cars so its not that bad. I don't understand why Toyota/Honda don't offer wagons in their line up though. VW does offer a diesel option and I wish so did Mazda as I would have checked yes to that option. BTW, here in Canada I would have to pay another $7-9,000 for the TDI Passat which buys me a lot of fuel. Also the VW 4cyl required premium which makes a difference of $60 vs Mazda over the year or $5/month (using the website numbers again) which I don't think will break the bank.
    Should have Mazda given you the choice of a 4 cyl in the wagon, yes. They offer it in the hatch (weights only 100 pounds less I think) which does offer a lot of space but just doesn't have the height in the back if you need to transport very large items.
    Oh, I just looked up the MPG for the V6 Camry and it says MT = 28 and AT = 29.
    I wonder what real world numbers are for a Odyssey are? You would have to think the faster you drove a van on the hwy the MPG would drop faster than a car. I don't know but I wonder?

"What is the point of having a fun little car to use when you don't want to take the minivan somewhere"

I wouldn't consider the 6-wagon a little car. They have the 3 to fill that spot. It gets 35 with the 2L and 32 with the 2.3, both in manual trim. I won't use the 2.3 w/Auto as it only gets 29 which I feel is sad.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    What is the point of having a fun little car to use when you don't want to take the minivan somewhere, when the little car actually uses more gas...

Because the "fun little car" is NOT a minivan!!

I would GLADLY buy a wagon with slightly lower gas mileage than a minivan, not matter how many kids I have or how much stuff I have to haul. Besides, the 6 can be had for about $2K to $4K LESS than the Odyssey. Getting a 6 wagon below invoice is not a challenge, unlike actually finding an Odyssey less than $28K, let alone paying anywhere NEAR invoice for it. Pays for the gas right there...
    What is the point of having a fun little car to use when you don't want to take the minivan somewhere, when the little car actually uses more gas...

"Because the "fun little car" is NOT a minivan!!"

Oh ya. I read the first point as to having the 6 as a second car, not as the only car.

I also didn't want a mini-van so we just bought a 6-wgn last month. If we ever need more space (you never know) just put a roof box on top of the car.
  • larsp2larsp2 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought an 04 Sportwagon yesterday - 8k miles. Overall couldn't be happier! Originally decided against getting one after reading Consumer Reports but heard so many good reports from this discussion group that I decided to go ahead with it. Found a car on Cars.com - 300 miles from my home. Still working on finding a roof rack - saw a message on this topic earlier.
    Time to kick off our weekly chat schedule. Mazda Maniacs meet tonight, although EVERYONE is welcome and we usually get into everything automotive (and some non-automotive stuff as well)

We've had a lot of new faces at the chats in recent weeks, and I hope tonight is no exception.

PF Flyer
    Host

The Mazda Mania Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • justflooritjustfloorit Member Posts: 8
    I test drove a Mazda6s Sport Wagon today and was pleasantly surprised! My old reliable 92 Maxima SE (still running great after 126k miles)/ daily driver is being donated to a worthy cause and the M6s Sp wagon seems to be a good replacement.

The engine was a bit TOO quiet but pulled smoothly (obviously not as much "punch" as my G35/weekend driver). The 6AT was buttery smooth but the "manual shift" mode was slightly hesitant and pushes up for downshifts (opposite of that in my G).....perhaps I can rewire it. Overall the drivetrain has a refined feel.

The chassis is exceptional: NO floaty feel or numb steering. I was expecting a harsh ride from the 215/50VR17 tires but it was firm yet comfortable. Brakes are easily modulated with good stopping power. Cornering is acceptable with some slight tire squealing on abrupt turns: about what I expected from a 3400lb. wagon

Interior quality was a notch above what I expected in this price range. Front seats were ok but the back seats didn't feel that supportive and couldn't recline for more comfort. All buttons, switches, and trim were quite good.

Likes: Sporty handling, 6AT, sport trim, projector halogen headlights (some HIDs would be great), large cargo space with fold down rear seats (NO clumsy suv whales for me!), nice 17" factory wheels (need wider tires), 48mo/50kmi warranty.......and the ongoing rebates and cash back! :D

Slight concerns: somewhat stiff and non-supportive rear seats (they do soften up over time, right?), 3.0 engine kind of weak at lower rpms, Mazda service history?

Now all I need is to have the dealer find the exterior/interior combo that I like! :shades:
  • mort3mort3 Member Posts: 1
    I'm writing from Hungary, where diesels are very common. Last week I had a totally wild ride in a new M6 td, stick of course. The driver wound it up to 90 in a few seconds & passed everything in sight, not always safely, however. This was my last ride with him, but I was very impressed with the car. As for mileage, I don't know. I filled the tank for him, & 50 liter cost me $60. Fuel runs about $5 a gallon here & people are very cost conscious. When I get back home, I plan to test an M6 with both 4 & 6 engines. I'm looking for more excitement than my "00 Camry 6 offers, but that's also a fast car with decent mileage--I've averaged 25.5 in mixed driving for 73000.
    Stop in tonight to talk Mazda, and anything else automotive that comes to mind! We hold these chats every week, and new faces are ALWAYS welcome!

PF Flyer
    Host

• jsnewjerseyjsnewjersey Member Posts: 21
    FWIW, I picked up my 2005 SportWagon Saturday,Black,manual, sunroof, Bose system. Drove it all weekend, took it to work Monday, really enjoy the car.
    Then on Tuesday during my commute from out of nowhere the car starts bucking,engine light goes on on the Westside Highway in NYC. I manage to pull it
    in to Mazda dealer a mile or two away on 11th ave............where it's been for the last two days. The dealer filled the car before I picked it up it up Saturday and it felt like maybe water had gotten into the tank. Of course it could be a sensor as well.
    Anyone aware of any engine failure issues on this car....V6, manual.
  • slickdogslickdog Member Posts: 225
    I'd love to have a turbo diesel in my Mazda6 wagon! Sadly, it's not an option here in the US. I doubt many people would buy one if it were.
    I seem to recall someone on a Mazda6 forum here had a similar problem, and it was rectified with a throttle replacement. Try searching all the Mazda6 discussions.
    thanks.....I appreciate the info.
    I would be first in line for a turbodiesel 6 wagon. Not interested in the car as currently configured though.
    Yes, a turbo diesel would definitely give the Mazda6 some needed low end torque! As a commuter/daily driver, I'd have to forego the more entertaining 5sp mtx on the congested freeways around so cal. :(
    That's very alarming! The dealer may have fueled up your wagon when the tanker was at the station.....thus filling your gas tank with contaminants. I'm planning to drive a new 05 sp SportWagon from a dealer 100miles+ away (the only one with the specs I wanted). Damn.....I certainly wouldn't want my new car to break down on the way home!!! :sick:
    Stay away from Ransey Mazda.......once they sell the car you are at their mercy.
    Customer service is a thing of the past but what gets Me is there guys have no problem with me paying good money for a car I can't drive.Why do I have wait to have a three day repaired because they are doing oil changes?

The car itself is awesome......it's to bad they have less than interested customer service and they'd sell their mother for a buck.
    BTW, tomorrow will be a week my car is sitting unrepaired......I had it three days .......think they should do anything for me?
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    I think you should call Mazda customer service and complain. That might light a fire under their ***.
  • rob1975rob1975 Member Posts: 1
    I was just looking over the messageboard after buying my Mazda6 Wagon yesterday. I got a 2004 model that they had left over. Sticker price of 24,200. After $4750 in rebates (Incl $500 recent grad, and $1000 for using Mazda credit), I got it if for $16,500. It's new, having only 148 miles on it when I bought it. I've already gotten some grief from friends for owning a wagon (I'm 29 and single), but I really wanted something with the room for bicycles/camping gear, etc, but still get decent gas mileage. I traded in my Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 which was getting 12 MPG in town and 17 on the highway.... I've owned Mazdas in the past (1990 MX-6, 1988 323) and loved them, so hopefully this one will be no different.
    The NYC dealer finally looked at my 6 late yesterday eight full days after it entered the shop. The diagnosis is a bad throttle stack. Now the good part.....they have to order the part.......by the time this is said and done Mazda will have had my car for two weeks maybe longer. I had it three days. I suggested to my dealer they pay the pay the first month but he was non-commital on that. I think they should do that and more........

The dealer I purchased he car from told me yesterday that Mazda's policy is a 48 hour repair on a new vehicle.Of course he never volunteered to do anything for a week. I must have 15-20 un-returned phone calls and spent a bunch of time trying to get Mazda itself to help. My dealer yesterday called the Manhattan dealer to have the car towed back to him for repair and they wouldn't release it to them.
    I own the car........

:mad:
  • yustasyustas Member Posts: 31
    That is really really bad!!! Would you care to name dealerships involved? I live in New Jersey too, consider purchasing Mazda and would not want to give my business to people, who treat their customers like that! :mad:
    If they won't give you your car, then that is theft. Call the cops!
  • msumlinmsumlin Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2004 Steel Gray wagon in January 2005, just turned 6k miles. No problems to date, this is our 2nd Mazda, purchased a 2004 5-door in March of 2004. Made a few minor adjustments to the car so far.

Added Eibach lowering springs, ASA AR-1 18x 7.5 wheels, Yokohama AVS ES100 225/45/18 tires, the Webasto 524 Hollandia Panoramic Sunroof and a Magnaflow cat-back exhaust system. The horsepower and torque gain is very noticeable, the handling is even better with the new springs and tires!

Looking forward to the upcoming chats!
    Hi,
    Ramsey Auto Group, route 17.....Manhattan Mazda, 11th Avenue, nYC.....
    Try East Coast in Fort Lee or Route 23 Mazda....I had a good experience with east Coast when I purchased my 626. I was living closer to them at the time, wish I had purchased it there.

I finally got my car back saturday, made a trip to Manhattan on a day off, inconveinenced my wife to take me in to Manhattan.....not one person from the dealership said they were sorry for all the nonsense. They did me a big favor selling me this car the way they act. Bottom line was the car took 12 days to be repaired from the day I left it with the dealer.......
    BTW, I should mention that the 6 wagon itself is a great car.The car has very good pickup and handles really well. It's a shame sucha good vehicle is backed by such lousy customer service.
  • yustasyustas Member Posts: 31
    Thank you for the names. Fortunately, those two are just too far from me ;) Also, I am glad, that you have gotten your car back. Happy motoring! :)
  • evila1nycevila1nyc Member Posts: 1
    I work for a large rent a car company, we had a lot of Mazda 6 wagons purchased. They rented them for a few months and are now seeling them.
  • robs6wagonrobs6wagon Member Posts: 68
    Just a warning to all in the Northeast.....the service dept at Gallo Mazda is one of the worst on the planet. Didnt address ANY of my requests. The windshield is bolted to the frame of the car (2004 M6 Wagon V6), and it was rattling.....rattling because one of the brackets were broken (nice job at the factory!)...spoiler was leaking from the corners of the inside trim. They didnt even put a hose on it! I fixed it myself! I finally brought the car to Morande Mazda in Manchester, CT. They ordered a brand new windshield, replaced the bracket, and were done in one day! I still have reservations about the Mazda quality, but the car is fun to drive! Thanks for hearing me out! -Rob
  • robs6wagonrobs6wagon Member Posts: 68
    BTW, has anyone had and fixed the creaking and rattling coming from the radio panel?? How does it come off without damage? Thanks again -Rob
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Glad you had a good experience at my dealership....thank you.

next time your in...track me down and say hello..
  • nj_ednj_ed Member Posts: 1
    Guys, I bought my car at sansone mazda. In the 1st week I owned it, the dealer had it for 5 days and added 200 miles to it. I called Mazda customer service but all they told me was that it's really upto the dealer. I am left on my own.

Anyone out there have any advice?

The problem I had was that the car veers to the right on ANY road. The guys at the dealership blame it on uneven road surface, which I think is a lot of BS. It still does it after 6 months.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    Easy test: drive down a straight road and a) check if the steering wheel stays more or less straight and b) let go of the steering wheel for a few seconds to check if the car starts to veer to one side more than the other.

Many highways are designed with various angles to assist in high speed driving. Many roads are not perfect especially after a winter thaw and your car may have hit a pothole which affected its drive; you may want to do a visual check of your tires and suspension to see if anything looks odd.

Tip: If you don't like the service in one dealership try another.
    Good thing it's the longest day of the year. That will leave us plenty of chat time for tonight's Mazda Mania chat! :)

PF Flyer
    Host

• sschribersschriber Member Posts: 89
    I've identified The Mazda 6 Wagon and the new Mazda 5 as top contenders in the family mover segment, yet they only come with huge 17 inch 50 series tires. What is the reasoning for this migration to the big tires? Sure, they are supposed to handle better, but heck, a 15 inch 60 series provides more than enough handling capability. I consider the main drawbacks to these big tires are:
    1- Cost - Try buying replacements for less than $100.
    2- Milage - Fat tires create more road resistance
    3 - Winter Driving - Forget driving these in snow. Pony up another $600 for winter tires.

Don't mean to harp, but why can't Mazda have an entry model with more "sensible" tires? "Zoom Zoom" is cool, but there are a lot of folks that just want to get to work and back and take maybe a couple of trips a year.
  • gussguss Member Posts: 1,167
    I like the bigger tires, they handle excellent and really look better on the car. If they were an option I would have got them anyway. Mazda probably should have set it up this way but tires are getting bigger across the board. It was not long ago that 13" was standard for a car in this class. Peoples tastes are changing.

Yes they do cost more to replace but what are we talking , maybe another $150 over 40,000 miles. I'll take that for the added traction traveling some of the back roads I take on my commute.

I do agree with you on the snow driving, but even if I had the 16" tires I would probably get snow tires anyway.
    "Don't mean to harp, but why can't Mazda have an entry model with more "sensible" tires?"

Probably for the same reason many mid-size cars have to offer a 200+ HP V6 these days, because it's what many people want. Of course many of them would be quite happy with much less than that, as they probably have no idea how much they really need, but I'm sure adding power sells more cars. I for one think it's really interesting how many car advertisements announce the model being advertised right off the bat like so: "introducing the xxx horsepower make model". It's as if HP is the most important decision when buying a car, and due to the marketing hype, many people probably believe that it is.

The larger wheels and lower profile tires do add value in the Mazda6 if you're into tossing your car around more than the average driver. If not, the sedan and 5-door Mazda6 do have 16" steel and alloy wheels available, not sure what the tires are but you could look into getting some of those for the wagon and selling the 17's on e-bay or something. You're right about snow, my wagon didn't really perform up to it's potential last winter, so I will probably be purchasing 205/60-16 snows and steel wheels for them this fall (although I'm tempted to get 215/50-17's).
    ...not sure what the tires are...

The tires are 205/60-16 Michelin Energy All-Seasons.

...so I will probably be purchasing 205/60-16 snows and steel wheels for them this fall (although I'm tempted to get 215/50-17's).

Stick with the 16"s!
    - They are narrower than the 17s, which helps the tire to carve through the snow for better traction.
    - The sidewall is taller, also better snow traction.
    - Savings of $50-$75 PER WHEEL!!

If you're worried about dry traction with snow tires, may I recommend Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2s. They're genuine snow/ice tires with an H-speed rating. They're about 99% as good as Bridgestone Blizzaks, without the squirmy, mushy feel on dry pavement that Blizzaks give. I bought them last year, and love them. Better wet traction than the OEM 17" Michelins too!
    I agree - it would be nice to have sensible standard tire. The cars don't really take advantage of the extreme rubber that is put on them these days. They are mostly a fashion statement like spoilers and ground effects.

One of my favorite handling cars was a 1980 VW Scirocco with KYB gas adjust shocks and 175/70 13 tires. Handled like a dream - better than my Integra.
  • gussguss Member Posts: 1,167
    I recommend Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2s

I am looking to get snow tires for this winter. Are you using these on your 17' wheels or did you get a dedicated 16" set ? Also, how much were they and where did you get them ?

I know its only July , but you never know when a freak snow storm will come up.

Thanks
    Guss,

I bought the 16" size, and I got them through tirerack.com. The total price (including steel wheels, tires and shipping) was about $550. Yeah, it sounds steep, but they already come mounted and balanced, and a decent shop will not charge you to switch out your regular tires for snow tires. You could even do it yourself if you want...

Start checking out tirerack in October, because they ran out of the Michelins before the end of November! As a matter of fact, I was told that they had to ship my wheels/tires from two different warehouses, and I got the last 2 tires in each one! And this was before Thanksgiving. I recommend the Michelins, but if you don't care for them, Bridgestone Blizzaks are also good, as well as Dunlop Graspics.

The size you want are 205/60-16s, the same size as the lower-model 6i's with the 4-cyl. I also recommend getting the dedicated wheel/tire combo, rather than getting the 17" tires. Not only are the 16" tires cheaper (by far) over the 17" tires, but despite the fact you're paying for the wheels, you're saving unnecessary wear and tear with mounting and unmounting every spring and fall on the OEM rims. Not to mention the fact you'll have to pay from $50-$100 each time. Besides, you can get some great-looking aftermarket rims for the snow tires if you don't want the steel wheels!

Good luck with your purchase. BTW, it's a good thing to consider snow tires and wheels in July, it just shows that you plan ahead and want the best for you and your 6. There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with that! :)
    Thanks for the advice, I was leaning toward 16's anyway because of the lower price. I'll look into the Pilot Alpin's for sure, they sound more like a better compromise between handling/traction which is what I'm looking for.
This discussion has been closed.