Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Legacy/Outback Wagons Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• Options
    SGALCZYNSGALCZYN Member Posts: 3
    My '00 OB is coming up on 45K miles - time to replace the factory Firestone Wilderness - performed good rain dry and snow.
    Whats the boards recommendation for a new set???
    Driving in eastern PA - mostly highway- little to no off-road - year rounders all-weather preferred.

I have heard the Michelins are quircky on the OB's----------any other opinions??
    Thanks in advance
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Stan-
    I run Michelins MXV4 Energy (~20K miles) on my '98 OB and I didn't find them "quircky", expensive but not quircky :)
    Overall, rain, dry, and snow has been pretty good.

-Dave
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Turn your key to the "on" position for about 15 seconds, then start the car. The problem is that the fuelpump doesn't have time to pump the fuel up to the cylinders, by putting it in the "on" position for a few it pumps the fuel before you try to turn it over.

-mike
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Don: it may also be the battery. The OE unit on my Forester had just 260CCAs. I replaced it with a new one that has 525 CCAs and it starts up better than ever.

I think I spent $40 at Wal Mart. It's their basic battery, too, nothing fancy.

-juice
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Don,

I also do what Mike described and give my Forester 1-2 sec with the key at the "ON" position for the fuel pump to prime. It helps for a better starts 1st thing in the morning.

That aside, your dealer should be addressing your concern by asking you to leave your vehicle overnight so they can replicate the problem. If Mike's and juice's advice doesn't work, you may want to have the dealer document it properly.

Ken
  • Options
    krgoldmankrgoldman Member Posts: 4
    I've posted this elsewhere, but thought I should also try here. I have a 2001 Outback Limited Wagon. Ever since I got the car (about 10 months), I have felt that it has unacceptably high wind noise from the driver's side window (in the vicinity of the sideview mirror). The dealer has tried to work on it (3 times), but the noise either was not fixed, or came back after a short time. We don't notice this on the passenger side at all. Has anyone else had this problem? Been able to correct it? I will be meeting with the Subaru rep on Wednesday, so any input would be appreciated. I generally like the car, but this noise makes it extremely uncomfortable for long trips. This is my fourth Subaru (in twenty years), yet I am just about at the point where if I could afford it, I would probably trade it in on something else (with only 10K miles!). Ken G.
  • Options
    Graham had a good suggestion in the main topic. This one isn't nearly as active so I wouldn't expect many reponses.

-juice
  • Options
    fudd2befudd2be Member Posts: 50
    Just my $0.02:

I replaced those wilderness tires about 3 months ago with Michelin Pilots. Did it at Sears (their premium tire). They did a great job installing and balancing them. I was especially conening about them gouging my wheels, but they did great. Just don't let them sell you any unneeded services (i.e. an alignment).

They were rated well in Consumer reports, and offer a good combination (for me) of wear (50K tread warranty), wet and snow traction (I live in Rochester, NY).

There are many tires out there to choose from and your choice depends on where you live and what you want it to do. For example, if you live in a place where it never snows, then why even consider snow traction - you might do better with a tire that is optimized for other characteristics that you do care about.

-Howard
  • Options
    joyridea4joyridea4 Member Posts: 48
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will give them a shot. I am not mechanically inclined so I rely on the board a lot for information. It is very helpful.
    Keep up the good work!!
    Don
  • Options
    nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    you can also try Tirerack.com. They have knowledgeable sales people who can steer you in the right direction. Their web site also has reviews by customers. I bought tires for my minivan from them and had them installed by Costco for $9/tire. I believe I saved a good deal of money and got great service from both tirerack and costco.

Greg
  • Options
    Be careful of the customer ratings. I've found some highly rated tires on there turn out to be not-so-great in reality. Take it with a grain of salt.

-mike
  • Options
    laughingsblaughingsb Member Posts: 1
    I, and others, have found that the seats are as comfortable as a 75 vega withought the snazzy plad padding.
    I love everything else about this car.

What modifications have any of you made to correct this problem.
  • Options
    The seats in my Forester are comfy and supportive, but the Impreza's seats are even better. Do you have a Legacy? I believe the tracks are similar.

You could look at a Sparco seat, or maybe a "take-off" seat from an Impreza. Lots of i-Clubbers replace the seats, and IMO the OE seats on those cars are fantastic.

-juice
  • Options
    jnr1675jnr1675 Member Posts: 5
    When I drive after my car has been standing in the rain, there is the sound of water sloshing around and pouring out from somewhere underneath. It seems like this standing water might lead to a rust problem... Has anyone else had this checked out?

I also experience the sporadic vibration in the steering when turning, as well as the burning smell... My warranty runs out soon, so I'll be sure to get all these things documented!
  • Options
    Miata owners have problems with water accumulating in the door sills. Check there. One of your drains must be plugged. Washing the undercarriage might help.

The burning smell may be the undercoating burning off, does it smell like sulfur? That should fade.

Check the alignment, or at least rotate the tires.

-juice
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Hi Folks - Interesting Town Hall Subaru chat, this evening (18 April). Rick Rhoades, Subaru of America Technical Service Instructor, and Pete Eike, Subaru National Fixed Operations Training Manager will discuss all aspects of maintaining your vehicle, including which areas need attention prior to making those long trips.

If you are around at 6-7 pm Pacific Time or 9-10 ET please join us. And don't forget to fill out the interesting survey in the Chat area as well. Here's the link: http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/subarumaintenancechat041802.html

Thanks!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • Options
    skier74skier74 Member Posts: 1
    Drivers Side window. When it rains hard or I go through the car wash, the water seems to stay in the down window area. The next two days when I put the driver's window down it comes up wet and streaked. Does an adjustment need to be made. I dislike looking out a streaked/wet window when the weather is nice.

Thank you.
  • Options
    The window angle can be adjusted at your dealer. Someone here actually did this themselves, so I'm sure it can be done.

-juice
  • Options
    peltonpelton Member Posts: 1
    I have an Outback Wagon 2001. The braking performance is unsatisfactory. Is there an after-market fix?

Factory Rep Zernig has ordered work but the
    dealer has not complied fully. The only way to reach the zone rep has been through the dealer. That doesn't work when they don't do the job. How do I contact him directly?
  • Options
    bazza1bazza1 Member Posts: 1
    Try the Yokohama Avid dB - an all weather tire that is very quiet compared to the Firestone/Bridgestone tires that Subaru puts on the OB. They are rated better in rain too. You might have to order them as all the Audi, Mercedes, and Porsche owners are buying them up for their cars.

I wanted quieter tires for my LL Bean when I bought it and I love these Yokos. Only problem is that Discount tire wouldn't give me a dime for my brand new Bridgestones --- they couldn't give them away. Subaru is hurting themselves by sticking with such mediocre tires, esp. on their expensive (but very very smooth) H6 models.
    Good Luck
  • Options
    nvadernvader Member Posts: 1
    Could anyone tell me how the headlight aiming is adjusted on my 2000 Outback Limited wagon? I find what I think should be the aiming devices, but they are just plastic and free wheel by hand. Is there a special tool, or am I barking up the wrong tree? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Norm
  • Options
    subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    If you call us, (1-800-SUBARU3), we can get word to Heinz that you wish to talk to him. Please have your VIN and dealer information so the Representative can start a case for you.

Thanks and sorry about the problem!

Patti
  • Options
    subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    the correct information and post it later this morning. I don't want to rely on my "early morning memory" as the coffee has not quite hit target yet. It's a pretty easy thing to do but I want to check on your specific model.

I'll post soon!

Patti
  • Options
    pelton: hop over to Subaru Crew - Modifications, under Owners Clubs.

There are plenty of brake upgrade options. You can get steel braided lines, new brake fluid (though you have to flush your current fluid out completely), better pads, and even bigger rotors. The pads and fluid by themselves would produce noticeable results.

-juice
  • Options
    eric102eric102 Member Posts: 122
    On my 02 Outback. Anyone have this problem before? I don't see any cracks or defects and haven't used a car wash or pressure washer, just a hose and the normal Seattle rain. I guess I'll take it to the dealer before my first year is up.
    First defect that I've noticed in 5 months.

Eric
  • Options
    Yeah, take it in now. I've had headlights in some past cars do that, and they eventually got rusty inside and turned brown.

I bet it broke a seal somewhere.

-juice
  • Options
    nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    Hello all -- I purchased an 02 Bean in Febuary and I love it.

I installed the Subaru Bike Rack (Yakima is the OEM) and it interferes with the sunroof.

On the Bean you have a front and back sunroof. The front sunroof must open first then the rear.

With the rack, the front roof cannot open completely without hitting the rack. It actually will lift it a little which cannot be good. This occurs with bikes on the rack or nothing on there at all.

Any solution to this or am I precluded from using my sun roofs with the bike rack installed? Thx.
  • Options
    Have you tried sliding the bike rack back a little so the front sunroof doesn't get in the way? You should be able to slide your bike racks as far back as they don't interfere with the rear hatch.

The OB Ltd, VDC Wagon and Bean model all have the sunroof so I would imagine that Subaru figured that one out.

Ken
  • Options
    seayakkerseayakker Member Posts: 57
    nowak ~

If that doesn't do the trick, you may need to use a slightly different system. Yakima makes a 2 different risers which attach to the Subie sidebars. I have the "Lowrisers", which raises the crossbars up higher than the standard Subie crossbars. Then you need the Yakima crossbars too. Gets expensive, but since I already had the Yakima system I needed the Lowrisers anyway. Good luck!

Jillian
  • Options
    nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    Thanks Kens and Seayakker. I will give it a try if the weather is clear tomorow. -- JN
  • Options
    yellowbikedon1yellowbikedon1 Member Posts: 94
    Joseph, I have a Yakima "Copperhead" rack mounted on my LL Bean and have not had a problem opening the sun roof. Why not have your dealer look at the install? If it's just a question of moving the rails, it can't take that long!

Don
  • Options
    mirlaccamirlacca Member Posts: 4
    Okay, I know it's just me--I'm not as slim-hipped as Crocodile Dundee. But is that any reason why I should have to go to my chiropractor to get my hip joints re-seated after driving fifty miles? Honest, guys, those bucket seats are too deep and too narrow for the broader beamed among us. (And I'm not kidding about getting my hip joints fixed, either. I really did have to get an adjustment.) If I put a cushion on top I'm bumping my head on the roof. I love the car. I don't want to trade in a 2002 LL Bean. Any suggestions (besides losing weight, smart alecks!)? Ashley
  • Options
    grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

You may find that the hip pain has more to do with the arrangement of the seat and controls than your weight. I had crippling pain in my Mercedes' seat until the physiotherapist who was treating me came out and inspected. She recommended some minor adjustments (can't now remeber what) which corrected the problem instantly. Gee did it improve life!

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    Ashley: there's always a trade-off between side support for fast corners and having enough room that you don't feel pinched. I'd try a padded seat base, or even just a pillow.

-juice
  • Options
    reblack_jrreblack_jr Member Posts: 57
    Took my OB to the dealers for the FREE courtesy service clinic checkup today (also planned to and did change oil @ 19,000 miles). The mechanic reported that the front brakes had 25% of the pads left. I did not get the pads replaced (planned now for next oil change). I was surprised since I normally get at least 30K on Honda Accord pads. The question: Is 22K "normal" for OB pads? I know that the life is variable based on driving habits but this seems "really low" to me. Is the wear higher because of AWD or what? Are OB pads thinner and therefore wearout earlier. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    Lots of things will wear them out quickly:

o Size of pads
    o weight of vehicle
    o AWD slighty
    o Use of Go-pedal :)

My dad's legacy L goes through them every 15K miles or so. My trooper goes through them every 70K miles or so.

My guess is that the Honda was lighter than the OB and maybe you didn't use the go-pedal as much :)

-mike
  • Options
    Pads are cheap. If they're not noisy, be glad. A squeek is far more annoying.

-juice
  • Options
    peterson10peterson10 Member Posts: 116
    The pads on my OB are wearing out a bit "early" as well, but I suspect it is due in large part to the composition of the pads ; fairly soft/low in metallic content. This would explain the very smooth and eerily quiet braking I enjoy. My question: does anyone have recommendations on replacement pads, or should I just get the OEM pads from my local parts manager?

YetAnotherDave
  • Options
    Well, according to our Subaru Crew technical guru, Colin, the OEM pads are hard to beat in terms of price and performance.

Are you not happy with the performance of the OEM pads?

Ken
  • Options
    heatherbeanheatherbean Member Posts: 82
    Solution:
    I too have the Bean with the subaru bike rack. I had to buy the ROUND CROSSBAR SET from Subaru to make it work. It is only $140 so well worth it, plus they are much stronger cross bars and more stable. And they look better too, so you can't loose. You will be able to open your moon roofs with them in place. Just remember to remove the other cross bars.
    Heather
  • Options
    Yup, I'm plenty happy with the OEM pads, but if there's something better out there, its not much of an investment to give it a try. What I DON'T want are pads that glaze up, squeal, and cut my rotors. The "alleged" OEM pads I had installed on a Legacy a few years back did exactly that. After 20k they appeared to have not worn at all; too bad the same couldn't be said for my rotors (and hearing). I plan to replace my own pads from now.
    YetAnotherDave
  • Options
    I have about 21K on my 01OB (auto) and no noticeable problems. Had the car inspected yesterday (and rotated tires) and there was no mention on pad wear. Therefore good?

Greg
  • Options
    Does anyone notice a slight dip in coolant level over time? It appears that my level in the overflow container has dropped about 1-2" over the past 6 months. Looked at under similar conditions (temp, level, etc). The only thing that makes sense is that some trapped air in the engine was purged out (outside of actually having a problem). There are no visible leaks.

Greg
  • Options
    Great, Greg. My pads look like they'll last forever, too.

It's "burping". I'd top it off.

-juice
  • Options
    mikenkmikenk Member Posts: 281
    I have the same thing on my OB VDC. Over 13000 miles, it has dropped from the full to the add mark twice. the dealer leaked checked it, found nothing. They deducted it was probably an air bubble the first time. At the 15k service, they are going to do some more checking; the service manager seems puzzled and does not consider it normal. Any thoughts from anyone would be helpful.

Mike
  • Options
    reblack_jrreblack_jr Member Posts: 57
    I am the person that questioned the durability of the front brake pads on my 01 Ltd Outback. I have decided to "peek" at all my pads this weekend to check them myself. It is confusing since the only data I have indicates that 95% of the pad was present at 10K and only 25% now at 19K. As some would say, this does not compute since my driving habits have not changed. For some reason the mechanic did not cite the amount present at the 15K inspection. I am wondering whether the dealer was trying to sell new pads now, but no real pressure was applied during the FREE inspection. Oh well!
    Does any one have the recommendations of SOA on wear limits of the pads and the original pad thickness? Are the rear pads the same as the front with regard to the wear limits and original thickness?
    Also since I will be removing the wheels I will need the recommended torque of the lugs.
    While I have the wheels off I will of course WAX the insides of the wheels.
    Thanks in advance for the information.
  • Options
    snowbeltersnowbelter Member Posts: 288
    Noticed this twice with my wife's 00 OB and added coolant. A few months later it dropped again. Took it to the dealer and they checked for leaks and found none. Still dropping, but more slowly. Same thing happening on my 02 OB. In 3500 miles, its dropped from "full" to halfway between "full" and "add". Haven't asked the dealer to check it yet.
  • Options
    Use 65 ft-lbs for alloys, 75 ft-lbs if you have steel wheels.

Glad to see you're waxing your wheels. You will love how easy they are to keep clean after that.

-juice
  • Options
    Juice, are you sure about that? I thought it was 75 ft-lbs on the alloys as well. That's where I have mine, so if I'm mistaken I'll need to get busy with the torque wrench. I thought the concern of over-torquing had more to do with the rotors than the wheels. Any insight?
    YetAnotherDave
  • Options
    I thought it was 75 lbs also. My Sienna is 80 lbs (alloys)

Greg