Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Saab 9-3 Sedan

Comments

• Options
    saablover3saablover3 Member Posts: 4
    I am not sure if its only on the Automatics? I am getting a 5-speed manual myself. Any Saab owners with any comments?

Also getting a 2003 will be a lot cheaper so was wondering what new model issues people have been having?
    Thanks
  • Options
    saablover3saablover3 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks so much for your post. Very re-assuring. I just love this car. So was disappointed hearing of all the probs.
  • Options
    mumbhaimumbhai Member Posts: 11
    Thought I'd reinforce posts by others that the stick shifts don't have the stalling problem.

I have an Arc that I bought in May last year. I have put 13K miles on it and still no oil change. Dealer refuses to do it without the computer asking for it. I don't know if I should be worried or amazed :)

Another though, ditch the Onstar system if you don't plan on using it though. It is a 700 bucks on the 04s and mines dies all too often.

Mumbhai
  • Options
    yuan1304yuan1304 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks GBrianK for your post. I called SAAB USA and explain to them my problem and I wanted replacement. They said there will be someone contacting me within five business days. Took the car to the dealer this morning. The service manager said that he would ask SAAB to have a technician down to check out the problem and if they needed to replace the transmission or engine ... tired of this. Got headache and if next time they claim they fix it.I am afraid of driving the car again. Thanks again for your suggestion. I will let you guys know how the situation is going.
  • Options
    3and143and14 Member Posts: 36
    Took delivery of an '04 Arc auto a week ago. Had some concerns about stalling and buzzing, mostly due to comments in this forum, but then again practically every car I was considering has its detractors and issues. Coming in a strong second place was the Acura TSX but the theoretically more expensive Saab proved to be no more money given the deals to be had and the cheaper insurance. The Acura also lacked character, which I feel the Saab definitely has, even if it's a bit diluted in the current GM-influenced sedan incarnation.

So far (although it's quite early yet), I have only two complaints. I find the gas pedal oddly unresponsive from a stop or when going fairly slow; it seems poorly calibrated. This is definitely not turbo lag, but something going on even before that point. Quite the opposite of many American cars with overly sensitive throttles. This is not an issue at speed. Also, the stereo's usability is poor and the rear speakers are somewhat disappointing for an alleged 300W system. Hopefully, this will remain the extent of the negatives.

As for the positives, the car is very quiet for a 4 cylinder, the build quality seems decent enough and the ride/handling balance suits me. I find the car to be a relaxing highway cruiser with comfortable seats and accurate steering. I find the interior attractively styled, although I am not a big fan of the poplar wood's color. (although at least it's real unlike the wood in the Acura TSX).
  • Options
    code7700code7700 Member Posts: 65
    The 2003 and 2004 are slightly different. The (2003) pop-up headlight cleaners are gone from the 2004... rumor was they were getting snapped off. Now there are some spray nozzles (non-pop-up). I prefer the popups of my 2003, looks much prettier than the 2004 nozzles. Also, the sunroof control/button on the 2004 model is different (better control). Not much else I could tell as different between my 2003 and the 2004 loaner I had.

Like a lot of people said, 2003 has a ton of noises (rattles). My car has been to the dealer a handful of times and they finally fixed it to my satisfaction.

The four big offenders for noise were (1) door/locks area, (2) sunroof/liner area, (3) third break light area, and (4) glove box button. The noise echoes off the glass in the car, and made some of these things hard to pinpoint. Took a long time to narrow it down. But I was able to finally figure each one out by applying pressure to the offending area... which caused the noise to cease.

Had four different dealers look at it (two in the state where I previously lived, and two in the state I now live). Some are better than others. The current (and best) one turns out to be the closest one to where now live (thank gosh). Some of the dealers didn't take what I had to say seriously. The current dealer had a tech that they told me "was really good with annoying stuff like rattles and buzzes." Sure enough, he was. He pretty much took the car apart (well, not exactly, but it seemed like it) and inserted insulation ("camper tape") in the needed areas.

Now that all the noise is gone, it is like a whole different car. The odd thing was, the noise I had was minimal (very subtle) but drove me insane. Quiet is good.

One odd thing is that my headlight leveling unit (for my left Xenon) failed, but no error showed up on the computer. How'd I know? Easy to see when you drove at night. Dealer replaced the unit. Not sure if it was the sensor or motor, but it is now fixed. Just think how expensive that'll be to replace once the warranty is gone. Eeeek.

I will admit, I've had more than my fair share of issues with the car, but it is/was a first year model. I could have waited, but I was impatient and got the 2003. I'd like to say that I'd avoid a first year model in the future, but I'm one of the "early adopter" people and will probably go back on any such promise in the future. Heh.

If I had to buy a new car today, what would I get? Definitely the Saab 9-3. Hopefully the problems would be fixed this time around. For one, I love the seats. One of the best features of the car. For me, it is very important. I'm still quite fond of the body style/shape of the car. I also like the fact that no one else has one. I am sick and tired of seeing A4s.

I just got back from the auto show and looked at every car made. I was really unimpressed with much of what I saw. Most of the cars were just plain old boring (especially what GM had to offer in terms of cars). I am not a truck/SUV person, but it seems GM put most of their thinking into those products, not cars.

The only thing that caught my eye were the Acuras (TSX and TL). I think the nav system was responsible for a high portion of what caught my eye... and the Bluetooth link in the TL. Sort of upset me because the Saab 9-3 was supposed to have Bluetooth (still pissed about that). However, both the TSX and TL are pretty average looking when compared to the Saab 9-3. Plus, both the TSX and TL were more than the Saab 9-3. By 3K to 6K. That is a lot of money.

Oh, one thing I did get at the dealer (cost me a whole $7, which is cheap considering dealers normally mark stuff up 1000%) was a keychain (key fob) made especially for the (big fat) Saab key. It is a wire loop -- vs. the normal metal ring. I am happy I got it. It holds more stuff, holds said stuff better, and allows me to easily get the Saab key on and off easily. They make a handful of different types of these wire loop key fobs. Mine isn't shown, but it is kind of similar to http://www.saabcatalog.com/retail/images/family/big/4505_41_f_C.jpg. Actually, the one I got is a much better design, but I can't find a link to it anywhere.

I got the Cosmic Blue color 2003 Saab 9-3... and this year... that great color isn't available. What were they thinking? I mentioned this to the Saab guys at the auto show and they agreed. They called Glacier Blue, "Barbie Blue" and Lime Yellow, "Puke".

I also noticed that the 2004 Saab 9-3 (Linear) doesn't have fog lights. Ugly. I got the the "Launch Package" on my Saab 9-3, which is actually nice. Actually, one benefit of getting the 2003 was the "Launch Package". It was a good deal. I think you can get fog lights on the 2004 if you get the "Premium Package", but that is almost $900. Another odd thing with the 2004 is they charge $700 for OnStar. Why would you pay $700 for OnStar and then have to pay for service. It used to be free. I found that to be most odd. I'm no huge OnStar fan (thought I do like the built in LO/JACK type functionality -- it lowered my insurance by almost 20%), but why charge $700?
  • Options
    rocharcrocharc Member Posts: 18
    I apologize in advance for the length of this post.

I have been lurking around this discussion group since May 03 when I was considering buying a 03 Saab. I took delivery of my first 30 Arc (6 speed, winter package, sun roof, touring package) in Cosmic Blue. My initial experience was miserable form the moment I picked up the car and the driver’s side rear seat handle (for lowering the seat) was broken. The car proceeded to have a series of issues. Namely the dealer replaced the steering column, a couple of modules in the steering column, reprogrammed the computer numerous times, failed to fix a rattle when closing in the sun roof, replaced a blown horn relay (apparently a common problem), and the last straw was the steering wheel lock did not lock after they replaced the steering column. This took place over a 5-month period and the car had 5,700 miles on it at the end. (This story has a very happy ending.)

I finally snapped when they claimed to have fixed the lock and when I went to pick up the car it still did not work. I then finally escalated my complaint to the head of service for the entire multi franchise dealership (only Saab dealer in Rochester NY). I had asked twice for an extended warranty and was told twice that Saab does not offer one, so I said buy back the car. He told me to call 1-800 SAAB and talk to them. Well I did and I expected to negotiate, maybe get some kind of discount on future parts, etc. Well the nice lady at Saab took my story (I was reasonably calm through this process) told me she would pass the information on to an adjuster and if they saw some merit they would pass it on to Saab Legal. 1 day later I heard that they were going to pass my claim on to legal and 2 days later my new best friend from Saab legal called and said that even though my car did not fit NYS lemon laws, they would like to buy my car back. That meant getting every penny (tax, license, etc.) back from Saab. I though t about it for a couple of days, checked out the Acura TL from a pricing standpoint and realized that when I bought the ARC (invoice minus 2k) that anything else would cost more money. So I asked them if I could just have a new car and they said sure as long as I wasn’t overly picky about color. I choose Steel gray and picked up a brand new 03 the day after Thanksgiving, all the same features and a better color for my conservative tastes.

Bottom line is I love the car; it was always a blast to drive, meets my need for not driving a run of the mill car, and keeps the wife happy because she knows its safe (I tend to be a little heavy on the gas if you know what I mean).

So alls well that ends well, and I have never had a car company stand behind their product so well, with an obvious commitment to customer satisfaction, and very little hassle. The new car has had 0 problems, did not even need a 30 day check up.
  • Options
    gjl3gjl3 Member Posts: 9
    I am glad that rocharc is happy with the current car. I would just like to comment a bit about the Rochester dealer. My 2003 9-3 Linear (delivered 12/02) is the fifth Saab my family has purchased through this dealer (3 European delivery, 2 local), and we have always been very happy with the sales and service. Strangely enough, they offered me an extended warranty when I took delivery; but I declined due to previous reliability experience and the warranty.
    I have had no issues at all whatsoever with the car - I love it, and it is a huge improvement over the 1995 900 that it replaced. In heavy snow and extreme cold this week, it has been a blast to drive and see when the traction control kicks in.
  • Options
    code7700code7700 Member Posts: 65
    I've never bought an extended warranty... but I've also never kept a car for more than 3-years. Now that I'm a bit older and wiser, I've decided that I am going to keep my 9-3 for as long as it is in good shape.

I got it just over 1-years ago (12/02), and as you've seen via my posts, I've had some problems with it. The dealer fixes them now... but in 2 more years, when the factory warranty is gone, these things will cost money.

As a first year car, I know I'm sort of a beta tester for the car, but that makes me think that I may have many more problems down the road.

So the first question is, are they worth it? Second question is, if the answer is yes, what is the best thing to do?

(A previous poster said Saab does not offer one, so me asking them [and showing them my service record] won't help.)
  • Options
    golancegolance Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2004 9-3 Aero last week, and noticed after a few days a marked roughness in shifting, especially in the lower range, going both up and down.

I took the car back to the dealer, who looked up a tech item from Saab, made some adjustments, and the problem is gone. It shifts smoothly once again, up and down.

The good news is that it's been fixed. The worry is that it may go bad again. Time will tell.

If you're having trouble, go to your dealer and have them look up the tech notice to fix the problem.

Any other advice or experience appreciated.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,329
    saab doesn't offer an extended warranty, but gm does! try gmdirect.com(a dealer) you can find saab in there.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    airboyairboy Member Posts: 1
    Is the wood trim different for the Canadian cars? I ask because the ARC that I looked at had "wood finish" trim on the door panels. Definately NOT real wood.
  • Options
    am2004am2004 Member Posts: 2
    I'm am considering buying a '04 5-speed Arc Conv. I would appreciate some reassurances on my choice...also, we are people paying for this out the door?

fyi - i need a good four season convertible as we have been getting hammered with snow this year.
  • Options
    After looking at the 9-3 catalog and rexamining the wood in the my Arc, I'm pretty sure it's the same for both US and Canadian cars and that it's fake in both cases. (so called "wood finish trim". I was unfamiliar with "poplar" and its appearance and thought it was just homely but real; guess it's fake too. Some other manufacturers, such as Acura, are more forthcoming about their wood trim being fake. I wish the Aero interior was available without the body kit for a small premium, definitely more stylish than the Arc.
  • Options
    mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    It is real wood, but it's a very thin veneer that is applied to the plastic Linear prices. I like the look of it much better than most wood in cars - real or fake. I don't like the stuff that has the swirly grain in it- or the real lighter shade stuff, like the Lexus or Infiniti. It's nice and simple, IMO.
  • Options
    ja1022ja1022 Member Posts: 1
    For 2003, the 9-3 Arc had real wood trim (poplar was the type of wood). It was determined that the look of imitation wood actually had more appeal to more people and "wood finish trim" became standard on the 2004 9-3 Arc. Your local Saab dealer's parts dept. should be able to set you up with metal finish trim for the 9-3 Arc. These kits are available through Saab Accessories and are dealer installed.
  • Options
    sky8sky8 Member Posts: 2
    I have had my 2003 Saab 9-3 in 3 times for it's inability to hold seat memory positions for more than a few days. I believe that it's not the seat, rather, when I start the car, it sometimes seems to lose power (hesitate briefly)after or just before I put it into drive. After this I seem to lose the seat memory positions set.

By the way, this is an automatic and I have already had it in for a "stalling" issue, where it would lose power after accelerating from a stop.

Has this seat memory problem happened to anyone else?
  • Options
    sloanesqsloanesq Member Posts: 60
    Sky8,

I too have had recurring problems with the seat memory. On its own, the seat just forgets the presets. I've also noticed the mirrors sometimes move on their own. Occassionally, when I exit the car I hear them whirring. the dealer claims that they can't find any problem. Please let me know if Your dealer is able to fix it.
  • Options
    It happens sporadically. From another board, we're prtty sure that it happens when you brush against a button entering or leaving the car. Try to notice this when it happens. Or, set all 3 buttons to the same position, and see if the problem goes away
  • Options
    sky8sky8 Member Posts: 2
    The dealer has not been able to fix the problem. They attempted some fix the first two times I had it in and the last time they only reset the seat and told me it was working fine for them! Yes, it always is fine after it's set initially.

I believe that the car somehow loses electrical power and the settings are erased. Seems to happen after the car hesitate when I first start it up--almost feels like it's going to stall out, but doesn't. I know that I have not been hitting the buttons accidentally to erase the memory.
  • Options
    drdaryljdrdarylj Member Posts: 9
    Hello.

We are currently considering purchasing a new sedan that will be used for rush-hour commuting, occasional family activity (we have 8-month-old twins), and the occasional blast of enthusiastic driving. That role is handled by our 1998 Volvo S-70GLT light-pressure turbo.

As owners of Saabs:
    1. What do you feel Saab has over Volvo?
    2. What is the cost of a typical oil change?
    3. What is the cost of replacing a headlight?
    4. Is a 7-10 year ownership a reasonable idea?
    5. Do you find the Linear to have adequate power?
    6. So you use the auto-manual much?
    7. How is the sound on the 300W system?
    8. Have you sat in a better seat in a sedan?
    9. After 6 months of ownership, do you still
              like your car?

Thanks for your responses to my many questions. Our other considerations are the 2004 Acura TL (now w/ a $4500 dealer markup..ick), Volvo's V-70R or V-70AWD, a C-class Mercedes, or BMW-330i. The last two have largely been ruled out because, as a dentist, I fear conveying the message that I've overcharged for my services. The fact that the Saab can be had for a similar price to the Honda Accord EX-V6 has really piqued my interest.

Regards,
    Dr. Daryl
  • Options
    melissa99mmelissa99m Member Posts: 7
    Hi everyone. I have had my 2004 9-3 Aero since October and I absolutely love it. I've been lucky to not experience some of the buzzing sounds and other assorted problems I've read about. Until this week, that is. Two times this week my parking brake has gotten stuck on (my car is manual transmission). The first time the tow truck man was able to get it off for me. I didn't thing anything of it so I didn't take it in for service. Yesterday, it was stuck again and nobody could get it off. I needed a flatbed tow truck to get it in. Has anybody else had this problem? The dealer said that it's been cropping up more lately on this model. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the weather. I live in the northeast and both times that it's been stuck, it's been below 20 degrees outside. Does the cold affect it? Today is the first day it's been above freezing in about a week.

The only other weird thing I've experienced (and again I'm not sure if it's related to the cold or not) was about a week ago, my trunk wouldn't latch. I had to pull the emergency release and then slam it pretty hard to get it to close. It seems to be OK now.

Other than that, I love this car. It rides beautifully on the highway and I've had no trouble shifting. I'm getting what I consider to be pretty good gas mileage. But most of all, it's plain just fun to drive.
  • Options
    yuan1304yuan1304 Member Posts: 4
    I have SAAB 93 linear with auto tranny. Actually my car didn't have that problem. The loaner car I had from the dealer had experienced the problem about a week ago. No matter how hard I tried, I still couldn't release the parking brake. So I called the dealer(only about 15 miles away), they sent a guy who fixed that within 5 seconds. I was really amazed. And he explained to me that it is probably because of cold weather. The trick is to hold the release button and pull up the brake very gently. I tried a couple of times. That worked well.

I also experienced the same problem of trunk. It was so hard to close it a fews days ago. I think it is cold weather(I live in Philly). Now it is OK!
  • Options
    Only having had my 9-3 Arc a couple of weeks, I am not qualified to answer most of your questions. But I have a couple of comments:

The 300W stereo sounds decent, but it's not what I would call spectacular. The sound quality is acceptable, but it doesn't play as loudly as you might expect, particularly the rear speakers.

I did not drive the Linear, so I can't comment on its performance or adequacy of power. I also have not had my car long enough to comment on the maintenance items.

I did drive the TL and, hands down, I preferred it over the 9-3. Roomier, faster, wonderful engine note and stellar sound system. Too much money though, and more expensive to insure as well. I think you can do better than $4500 over sticker.
  • Options
    r34r34 Member Posts: 178
    I have a 01 9-3 but I got a 04 9-3 Arc as a loaner in early Dec. It was not that cold (~ 40F) and I couldn't release the parking brake after I tried for 10-15 mins. The dealer had to take the car back for service. I posted this issue to www.saabnet.com and some people said it was due to a design problem.
  • Options
    cardoodcardood Member Posts: 2
    melissa99m and others....

I had the parking brake issue and according to my dealer there is a TSB to fix this. Bring it in to your dealer and they will replace it. On another note, I am having my 9-3 Arc serviced due to shot brakes at 6000 miles. A new world record for shoddy brakes? My last Saab had brakes that crapped out at 16k IIRC, but this is ridiculous!
  • Options
    gbriankgbriank Member Posts: 220
    Just wanted to say goodbye to y'all (as a permanent poster). I got my TL last night and am turning in the 'ole SAAB in a few days. So, good luck to everyone and remember to keep posting. Things you post do help....

Later!
  • Options
    melissa99mmelissa99m Member Posts: 7
    I just got my car back from the dealer today. I spoke to the service guy and he told me they had to replace the entire parking brake. So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Options
    mjwillsmjwills Member Posts: 46
    We live in SE Michigan. The winter handleing of this vehicle was terrible. The traction control was out of control, lights stayed on, ABS lights stayed on, speedo quit working, got stuck 2 times in our first real storm 2 weeks ago. I know this is not a 4wd, but thought it could perform a little better coming from Sweden and delivering in MI. Talked to the dealer and tire shops - all agreed that snow tires were the answer. I had my doubts, but now I am a believer. With the new tires there is minimal need for the traction control on take offs and the stopping is greatly improved, no ABS on every stop. These were tested in another storm. I went with the same size tire, just a Michilen Pilot Alpin snow tire. Good luck.
  • Options
    The tires that come with a Vector are clearly labeled as summer performance tires, so none of that should have been a surprise. With that said, I have seen sveeral others in other forums state that they though the Vector handled the snow very well so far.

With my Arc and the 16" all seasons, it has handled the snow better than any car I have ever driven, including my wife's AWD Santa Fe
  • Options
    soledocsoledoc Member Posts: 52
    I am coming to the end of my lease on a 2001 Volvo C70 coupe. I like it but it is not practical with a small family...wife, 13 months old kid and a 50lb. dog. I'm down to the 9-3 or the Volvo S60 2.5T (208 hp) FWD or AWD. I like the AWD feature of the volvo that saab doesn't have. I am the primary drive but use the back seat primarily for the car seat for the baby and vizsla. They are both nice cars, but I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. I've driven them both and like them both. Resale is better on the Volvo, back seat bigger in Saab, exterior better on S60......Anybody have thoughts???
  • Options
    skb_22skb_22 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2003 9-3 Linear about 9 months ago, and since the end of November, I've had it in the dealer 8 times. It's been in a dealer more than I've had it. I've had many problems - onstar malfunction(twice), steering lock malfunction (3 times - once I lost all steering), ABS malfunction (twice), traction control malfunction (twice), stability control failure (twice), brake malfunction (twice) and my check engine light has come on twice. I've had it in three different dealers, and every time they assure me it's fixed, but then a week or so later, the fault codes appear again. I also had an issue where I would barely be moving, but the spedometer would say I was going 70 mph. I've filed a complaint with Saab, but they say this isn't enough to bring it to the legal department to get me out of my contract or a new car. I live in Chicago, so I also get a lot of "it's cold outside" reasons, which makes no sense to me. Has anyone else experienced these problems?
  • Options
    In all seriousness, you are the first person I have seen say that. In fact, most would say the exterior would be a big plus for Saab. If you dont think so, you may have made your own choice...

I haven't driven the 2.5, but I drove the base S60, which was horribly underpowered. That shouldn't be an issue with the better engine.

I don't think resale value will be much different, especially since the 9-3 is considered a "hot" and should bring the resale up a bit.

Depending on which "form" of 9-3 you get, you may see a big difference in handling, if that matters to you
  • Options
    brucec35brucec35 Member Posts: 246
    1. I prefer Saab styling, handling, value for the money, and even the interior.

2. Oil changes are included, as is all scheduled maintenance, for the first 3 years I believe.

3. You expecting some angry patients to break them?

4. It won't be as trouble free as an Acura, probably, but there are a lot of old Saabs still out there.

5. The Linear has good power, but like any 4 cylinder turbo, some lag is there. Less lag than the arc/aero engines though, I have read, since the turbo is smaller and spools up faster. Not in Acura TL class, though.

6. No, the auto manual is slow to respond, like almost all of them are. But if you want to make sure you're in the right gear for a passing situation, it comes in handy.

7. Sound on 300w has been described as disappointing on Saab owner boards. And it is very hard to upgrade w/o spending some money at a good shop that knows their stuff. It's not terrible, however.

8. They're my favorite sedan seats. Had a couple of BMW 540i's (sport seat and regular) and they were too narrow for my back. The seats won us over.

9. After 14 months still really like it. Combines sporty performance without the snobby image that the others can have. The Acura is better in terms of interior, stereo, reliability, and power, but that's on paper, I haven't driven one. But with discounts available a linear would cost much less. Depreciation is steep, however, so be sure you want it long term. Brakes are awesome and it feels as solid and stable at 90mph as at 30.
  • Options
    r34r34 Member Posts: 178
    I owned my 9-3 for almost 3 years. I found that its initial quality was not so good. It got several minor to medium problems in the first year. However, it seems to be fine after the first year (after I had the dealer fixed the problems).

I still like to drive the 9-3, especially driving on highways. Yes, it is very stable even at 80 or 90mph. It's liked it asked me to give it more gas because the engine is so smooth (city driving is just ok). I am kind of "attached" to my car. It's a different kind of driving experience than driving my old Altima. I can enjoy my driving in my Saab.
  • Options
    7. Sound on 300w has been described as disappointing on Saab owner boards. And it is very hard to upgrade w/o spending some money at a good shop that knows their stuff. It's not terrible, however.<<

I have the 300W system, and was basically satisfied. But I found out switching to some high efficiency speakers make s abig difference, at a small cost. So I upagraded the front 3.5", and rear 4" and 6x9" to some Infinity's and JBL's. All for $175, and a couple hours of my labor. Makes a world of difference. I'm also gonna upgrade the 4" front (I just found a shallow mount speaker) for an addditional $30. Soo 200 bucks for a big improvement. No need for any further upgrades, IMO
  • Options
    ilcarcrazy70ilcarcrazy70 Member Posts: 1
    I have an '03 9-3 Arc 6-speed with barely 6,000 miles on it. Love the way it looks, the way it drives, and the equipment on it. But ...

My parking brake wouldn't release this morning, and the car is on its way to the dealer (40 miles away) as I write this.

This is probably the worst car quality-wise I've ever had. Among the problems I was going to have addressed at the first oil change (but will now have addressed today):

- memory seat that won't retain a seat position
    - keyless entry that has a mind of its own (sometimes it will unlock on the first try, sometimes it will blink the lights, but not unlock, sometimes the lights will come on, and stay on, and sometimes the lights blink, the doors unlock, and the alarm goes off when I open the door)
    - alarm that goes off from time to time when the trunk is opened
    - clutch/ignition interlock that won't allow car to be started unless the clutch is to the floor, and sometimes won't engage the starter until after 2 or 3 tries
    - rattles ... mainly the plastic end caps on the dash that are both loose and vibrate badly

Since none of this stuff (with the exception of the parking brake) happens all the time, I doubt the dealer will be able to fix any of it.

Sad. You would think a $30,000 + car would be a little better built.
  • Options
    curiousizcuriousiz Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a 2002 9-3 and not finding any manual transmissions. Is there a problem with the manuals or a reason to prefer the autos? Haven't read any posts discussing the two, but it seems that people are selling a ton of the autos.....makes me wonder...I have always had manual and feel kind of bored driving an auto.
  • Options
    glutz1glutz1 Member Posts: 20
    Ted, you offered the following suggestions on upgrading your speakers "I have the 300W system, and was basically satisfied. But I found out switching to some high efficiency speakers make s abig difference, at a small cost. So I upagraded the front 3.5", and rear 4" and 6x9" to some Infinity's and JBL's. All for $175, and a couple hours of my labor. Makes a world of difference. I'm also gonna upgrade the 4" front (I just found a shallow mount speaker) for an addditional $30. Soo 200 bucks for a big improvement. No need for any further upgrades, IMO".

I have an '03 Linear, which of course doesn't have the 300W system or the rear 6X9's. Could you plse answer the following questions for me:
    - How does one get at the frnt 3.5 and 4" speakers to replace them ?
    - Do you know if my car is wired for the 6X9's in the back, or failing that, can I simply put 6X9's in and hook them to the wires run for the existing 4" speakers?
    - Can you plse provide the Brand and P/N for each of the speakers that you actually used, along w/any tips as to where you were able to find them at ?

Thanks !
  • Options
    I have an '03 Linear, which of course doesn't have the 300W system or the rear 6X9's. Could you plse answer the following questions for me:
    - How does one get at the frnt 3.5 and 4" speakers to replace them ?

It is pretty easy. the 3.5" speakers are under the grills on the sides of the dash. Just get a mini screwdriver (like one found in a computer screwdriver set) and put it in the edge and pop it off.

For the rear 4", fold the rear seats down and you will see 3 black circles across the top of front edge of the rear parcel shelf. push the center of each with a screwdriver and they will release. Pull them off and then the parcel shelf just slides off. The 4" are held in by clips. Just get a small screwdriver (but not a mini, like above)and put it next to a clip, and just pry it up - the clip will "pop". There's 3 clips in all. There are 3 small holes you can use for screws, but you should drill 2 more to secure the speakers

- Do you know if my car is wired for the 6X9's in the back, or failing that, can I simply put 6X9's in and hook them to the wires run for the existing 4" speakers?

I know that the speakers in the 300W system have crossovers that divide the frequencies - and only low's are sent to the 6x9. I don't know if that is the case in the 150W system, but if it is, the 6x9's wouldnt make much difference. If it were me, I'd just replace the 4"s. I know others who have replaced the speakers we are discussing in the 150W system, and added an amp just for 6x9's - by tapping off the signal to the door speakers. That's something I didn't want to do. I think if you just upgrade the 3.5"s and 4"s, you will get a big improvement, and I would see what that sounds like first

- Can you plse provide the Brand and P/N for each of the speakers that you actually used, along w/any tips as to where you were able to find them at ?

I used Infinity 3002i for the 3.5", and JBL GTO425. I bought from Crutchfield, since I had a gift certificate, but I think you can get a better price on the Infinities. Check etronics.com. The JBL were only $40 at Crutchfield, which isn't a bad price. I also ordered open box specials to save a few bucks from crutchfield, and they looked brand new and sound great.

Good luck
  • Options
    gbriankgbriank Member Posts: 220
    Difficult to come by.... I am getting ready to turn my 2001 in... 5sp w/34400 miles... Here in Dallas
  • Options
    letsgetmikeyletsgetmikey Member Posts: 82
    My wife has a 99 9-3 convertible.

We have had a few small repairs fixed: leaking heater core, malfunctioning headlight high beams, check engine light. I don't even attempt any kind of repair myself. Took me ten minutes of searching in the owners manual just to find the oil dipstick (attached under the oil filler cap, who knew?).

She really likes it, but it's not really my cup of swedish tea...

FWIW, this one was made in Finland.

Anyhow, we have noticed some small abrasions on the convertible roof, probably from the top moving against something when it's in the open position.

Is there any repair/preventive measure to fix this problem short of replacing the fabric?

Thanks.
    Mikey
  • Options
    Ted, thanks much for the detailed info on your experience w/upgrading the speakers, I'm going to go ahead and order the ones that you used ! Were you able to find a shallow mount 4" unit for the dash, and if so, what did you go with ?

You wrote "I used Infinity 3002i for the 3.5", and JBL GTO425. I bought from Crutchfield, since I had a gift certificate, but I think you can get a better price on the Infinities. Check etronics.com. The JBL were only $40 at Crutchfield, which isn't a bad price. I also ordered open box specials to save a few bucks from crutchfield, and they looked brand new and sound great."
  • Options
    Were you able to find a shallow mount 4" unit for the dash, and if so, what did you go with ?<<

Need to find a speaker with 1 5/8' depth or smaller. Not that many of them. I found this pair on ebay for $30 shipped - Aura RPM 402. Never heard of the company before, but they look like they make good stuff if you read their website (www.aurasound.com). Sound is pretty good, it just fits in the slot there.

Good luck with the install. Big difference!
  • Options
    Ted, you're right in that the Aura Sound speakers look interesting. They've replaced the RPM 402's w/RPM 4000's, which their tech folks say has a height from magnet bottom to tweeter top of 2.3", and that while they didn't have any 402's on hand to measure, they indicated that the heights were 'probably' the same. You probably don't have the mitutoyo calipers on hand that they used to confirm the depth of the 402's, but would it be possible for you to see if they're truly about the same height ? If the 402's are the same as the 4000's, why was it hard to find choices of speakers w/that height, as Crutchfield has several w/a listed height of around 2 1/8", which seems to be the same as the Aura sounds ?

Also, can you confirm that the 3.5" frnt speakers and 4" ones in the back are both 2-ways ? Thx
  • Options
    When I get home, I can measure the aura speaker to the top of the tweeter

When I looked on Crutchfield, they list top mount depth and bottom mount depth. We want top month depth, as that's the way the car is laid out. There aren't many that have a top ount depth of 1 5/8 for a 4" speaker. For instance, the JBL 4" speaker I have are listed as 2 1/8 and it will not fit in the center speaker slot (at least not while getting the grill back on flush)

Yes, the Infinity's and JBL's are 2 way speakers. This is why you can disconnect the stock tweeters (just splice the speaker wire before it splits off to the 3.5 or 4" speaker and the tweeter.
  • Options
    lig1lig1 Member Posts: 8
    I'm looking at 9-3 aero, which I really like, except it rides more than firm...it's pretty harsh. Rather than go to an arc, which doesn't excite me, I wonder if there's some ways to cut back on the punishing ride, like: 1) change tire size or 2)get some custom suspension work. Assuming I want the car, and it's worth it, can these make much difference?
  • Options
    js41003js41003 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had this happen? Yesterday I went out to start my 2003 9-3 Linear and when I put the key in the ignition nothing happened. After about 30 seconds the information display said "key not recognized". Fortunately for me I was at home and grabbed the other key and it started fine. Took the car to the dealer and they had to replace the key and program both keys.

I would describe this car as the Alfa Romeo syndrome. Lot's of annoying problems, but great fun to drive.
  • Options
    mjmorrowmjmorrow Member Posts: 15
    Hey all,
    Well I have owned my 9-3 for 15 month now. Here are the issues I have been having. Can someone please tell me if you are having the same problems and if they have been resolved.

First Tires - I have just over 15K on the car and I need new tires. They are only going to cover 30% of the cost which I think is unacceptable. Has anyone else has this problem.

Clunking from front - I have no idea but it makes a clunking noise when I turn or go over bumps?

Anyone's help is much appreciated.
  • Options
    mumbhaimumbhai Member Posts: 11
    Hi All,

I have seen the posts about people upgrading their audio systems but nothing about lack of inputs for the audio system.

I can't use any personal mp3 players with the car. I have tried the FM modulators + iPod (and Archos jukebox and Neuros) but the solution really sucks because you have to change the radio station (and retune the modulator of course) every few miles as new more stations come in range.

Does anyone have any suggestions on playing mp3s in 03 9-3 Arc?

Regards,
    BC