Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Saab 9-3 Sedan

Comments

• Options
    hightide199hightide199 Member Posts: 4
    I'm glad there is a forum available for owners and prospective buyers to make comments on these vehicles. Of course, that is what this forum is all about. I think you may have misinterperted the posts that are being listed Vector6. I'm very happy with my purchase and use this forum to gain understanding of issues that I'm faced with to help solve the problem or have it addressed quickly and efficiently. I appreciate you advice, but please take into consideration we all don't have your knowledge regarding SAAB's.
  • Options
    vector6vector6 Member Posts: 34
    You're right - the forum is great in that you have access to lots of owners. My point was just that (unfortunately) problems - especially electrical ones - are terrifyingly common on new upscale brands. Check out the Taureg posts on this site. Scary stuff - SUVs ripped apart, a week or two gone by with no fix and NO LOANER AVAILABLE, etc. Those owners are upset.

I don't have much knowledge of SAABs - or any car for that matter - but I love the brand. And I know that their sales goals are like 4-5 times what they were in previous years, which translates to a very motivated sales/repair force. Or should. I think the Boulder dealer I go to is better than most - very accomodating, etc. Of course my salesman was once a small biz owner, so he understands service. When I e-mail him my 'issues' he printed out the list and marched it over to the service department. When I went in to service, we went through the list item by item - before and after the repair. He told me what they could do, what they couldn't find, and what next steps should be (ie - pling sound they could not duplicate - either drive around with a service rep till it happens or wait until it gets worse and bring it in). They assured me time and again everything is covered, and although it might be a hassle, they will fix it.

If you're not getting that kind of service, first look for another dealer, and then do some gentle arm twisting. Using the Internet, you're privvy to loads of info, and have access to lots of buyers. You could really be a pain if you wanted, because you know what GM expects of Saab and can use that to your advantage as a customer. Let them know that. And good luck...

and keep us posted on the upgrades available!
  • Options
    gbriankgbriank Member Posts: 220
    jaydoll: Depending on your state law, you very well may be able to return the car. Usually, there is a three day grace period and XXX number of miles on the car they will allow. Check your state law. If you do like the car and your local dealership, I would let them try to fix the issues. If they can't, approach SAAB USA. Sometimes TSB info doesn't make it to all dealers in a timely fashion.

rsdr:
    TSB = Technical Service Bulletin
    A TSB is a notice to the dealers recognizing a defect that may exsist in a car and how to fix it. Honda is famous for these. That is how they avoid recalls (they fix the problem before it is widely known).

There is a known defect in the brake pads and I believe the fix is to replace them. Was talking to my local dealer and he said 9 cars had the pads replaced and the owners were very happy. No more loud quealing noise.

As for oil changes, I am not privy to the information in the '03 owners manual. All I know is that BMW has the same monitoring device and for a few of those that have followed it are having engine problems. It's your call. Remember, turbocharged cars run hotter than your average engine and the higher the heat the faster oil breaks down.
  • Options
    r34r34 Member Posts: 178
    On one of your previous posts, you mentioned the 9-3 is

"Not as much torque as my A4"

Did you have a V6 A4 ? If you had a 1.8t, it shouldn't be as torque as any of the 9-3 (unless it is CVT vs auto).

I have a 2001 9-3. At first, I thought the brake was not good and I needed to press the gas pedal deep to make the car moved. Later, I found that I need to put my foot to the "right position" of the pedals. Now I am satisfied with the car.
  • Options
    jaydolljaydoll Member Posts: 120
    Vector6,

I am totally confussed. Do you won the 9-3 or 95 or maybe one of each? Anyways, the driver side door is two part- part one is the really wierd buzzing noise coming from the door handle part 2 is the noise coming from the top of the door glass where it meets the moldong on the door. It sounds like the glass is rocking back and forth within the molding. Both are very annoying. While I am on a roll, if its the 93 that you own, have you opened your sun roof? If you have, and you are going above 40mph, you might think that you have a 747 just above you. The fix here is to hold down the flat in the front of the sun roof and hope that your hand doesn't get tired. Lastly, at 6' I am not that tall but after I put my driver seat where I am comfortable, you are luckiy to fit a piece of paper behind it. If they just put a knee cut out in the back seat that would have helped out.

Here is how I am addressing my concerns with my new 9-3. I went and drove a 9-5 Aero tonight. Night and day difference between the ride confort, cabin noise and general cabin asthetics. I have located two Aero program cars with approx 5K miles on them and my trade up to one of them if I can minmize the loss. So far initial conversations indicate that if all goes my way, $2500 + my car gets me the aero. Also, I found the aero with auto matic very fun to drive in sport mode.

While the 9-3 may look sharp and seem fun to drive, the aero is as fun to drive wuth much more refinement. Stay tuned.
  • Options
    sloanesqsloanesq Member Posts: 60
    I've posted a number of complaints about my new 9-3 Arc here before. In fact, I've just discovered another glitch; the distance to empty readout is off by about 2/3. e.g. if I have 300 miles worth of gas to go the readout says "D.T.E. 100 miles." Weird.

Anyhow, I also want to point out some of the car's virtues. I love the brakes. In a panic stop the car amplifies the braking force and it stops, almost literally, on a dime. The 9-3 takes the curves with amazing composure. Much to my wife's chagrin, I'm able to take 10 m.p.h offramps at 40+ m.p.h. The only limiting factor is that I find myself sliding out of the somewhat lacking in bolstering seats. The car delivers smooth and almost effortless acceleration over a wide range of speeds. This is most noticeable at higher speeds where the extra power is surprisingly welcome when passing on the highway. The attention to detail also makes me glad to have bought the 9-3. For instance, a few days ago I lowered one of the rear seatbacks to take a pair of skis home (the ski hatch in the middle was blocked by a car seat). When I started the car, a warning message came up on the info center alerting me to the fact that the seatback was open. Who would have thought that Saab would bother to plan for something like that?

I still have to take the car in to the dealer to get my complaints fixed. It's just hard to find the time. Does anyone know how long it takes for software upgrades and to fix the door buzzing? Should I expect the dealer to give me a loaner car?
  • Options
    rsdrrsdr Member Posts: 12
    Till now I am happy with the car and happy with the service which I got from my dealer.It is true there have been few minor problems here and there but dealer has been good to remedify them and provide me with a loaner car everytime, so cannot say have wasted any time or went late to work for my car problems.
      I do agree with vector6 that there has been to much bashing for this car on this discussion group , problems etc should have different thread.
     And oil change I think I will do it, I like the engine to much to degenerate into nothing, hopefully 6000 miles have not been too much.
    Sloanesq :- In my case for first 1000 miles the gas mileage increased very slowly from 15 m/g to finally 27 to 30 , so maybe DTE is not wrong check what gas mileage does it say on the SID it calculates DTE according to that value. And as you drive it more even the engine power increases atleast that is what I felt.
    Thank you all, for the quick responses. Just the other day I recieved a nice coffe table book from SAAB "made in trolhattan".
  • Options
    Jadoll-

I had a 94 900SE. Liked it so much that a couple years ago we got a 9-5 for my wife - NOT the Aero, so it's not nearly as quick as the 9-3, but is still a wonderful car. It has more of a 'family' feel to it (that's the car with our baby seat installed in it), but it also has nice lines and great performance. A note - on long drives it's hands down the best thing I've ever driven...altho after a road trip in the new 9-3 I may change my mind. We may get the wagon down the road for more space, although I'm hoping Saab will build the crossover wagon or even a small suv in the near future...

Anyway. I got rid of the old 900SE because (I had bought it used) it was basically 10 yrs old and my accountant informed me just how much a break I could get with a new car. I got the Vector about 6-7 weeks ago now. I did have a loaner Aero for about a week (my car took longer to come in than expected and they coughed up the car). At first I thought it was sluggish - until I found the auto tranny's gas pedal sweet spot. Guess you already located it. It moves. And even in my wife's smaller engine 9-5, the sport mode really does haul when you hit the gas. Be careful with it - I have more than once 'over accelerated.'

Hmm...Both parts of your door? Ok, that is annoying. Mine was not up by the window. It could be climate change - ie summer to winter. The components (esp. plastic) will swell or contract and can 'squeak' for a period before settling. Especially parts that touch - or almost touch. Or it could just be a crappy fit. Anyway, I'm sure they could address that the same way they did the door - with foam tape inside the panel. Very low tech, but it works.

Haven't noticed any more noise with the sunroof than with any others...I actually like the side panels that pop up and feel they cut down on noise (when you 'tilt' instead of flat-out open).

I wondered about R34's question too - the 9-3 is much quicker than the A4. you must've had a big engine. A good friend with an 03 A4 now wants to sell it and get the 9-3 after going for a ride. She says when she heads into the mtns her car can't get out of its own way - and it's a stick.

Regardless, seems you've made up your mind. Sorry to see you leave your 9-3...but think you'll love the Aero.

Sloanesq - the DTE will vary depending on where you are. I do a fair amount of freeway driving, and will get a very ambitious figure - like 450 miles to empty. Then I'll slip to city driving and the number will plummet. I don't know how frequently it recalibrates, but it's a 'current' average...I think. If it's not under the circumstances described here, have the dealer fix that when they do your doors. Like I've posted before, my doors took overnight. I made an appointment, and asked for a loaner. They may not volunteer one, but they'll give it you. It might not be a Saab tho - I had a Rodeo that was hell to drive...couldn't wait to get my car back. As for upgrades, I need to call my dealer, but I've heard they're almost instantaneuous. No one needs to code your car - it's like transferring data from a Palm to a computer. Even so, i bet you'll be there at least an hour. Enjoy the stale coffee!
  • Options
    hungshyhungshy Member Posts: 74
    Didn't come here for a long time and see here become one very vale place where people not only talk about how to save money for a car. Great to learn something new here. My car has almost 16k since November last year. Had some problems,rear door can't be locked by remote... like you all mentioned about. But all got taking care of at the first 2 months. Now it's great ride to be everyday car. So I believe this all new Saab 9-3 is one pretty good re-fined art work. Give it some time, you will find its great value overtime. wish you all have great experience with Saab.
  • Options
    Vector6,

My test drive of the aero/auto last night was very revealing. The auto in sport mode was very responsive. The overall ride experience felt like a dramatic inprovement over the 9-3. The aero rides like a car that is heavier and has a longer wheel base. Also, granted there is more aluminum on the dash, I didn't have that blaring green display staring at me. Driver seat was probably the most comfortable I have ever sat in. What bothers me the most about the 9-3 is that where I have the driver seat positioned, nobody can fit behind the driver. A slight cut out in the back of the seat would have gone along way.

Regarding your friend that has the Audi, she must have a older 1.8T with a auto tranny (non sport mode) because with the A4 I owned, (3.0L/6 speed/quatro) the only thing you would be looking at with the 9-3 is my rear bumper, and there is no whinning engine noise wit hthe 3.0 liter. If she does have the 3.0 liter, there is a big problem with her engine.

I am going to drive the Aero 5 speed tomorrow just to see if I like the stick in a bigger heavier car. But, I could easily go with the steptronic and be very happy with the bonus of lots of room in the back seat. I also have to believe that even with approx 500 more pounds, 40 more HP will move an Aero as fast if not faster than the 9-3. If I can get the Aero program car with 5K miles for $2500 including trade, I will be driving home in a Aero.

Jay
  • Options
    JD-
    Had to send a file for work and figured I'd check in here...

Yikes. You must be really unhappy with your car! The "glaring green dash" is one of my favorite touches. Anyway... my friend has the new A4 1.8T, which goes 0-60 in 8.7 seconds. The A4 3.0 quattro does it in 7.19 - a tick SLOWER than the Vector/Arc, which logs 6.9 (Modern Racer). But seriously, those seonds make a lot less difference than the push from 30 - 70 on the freeway, which is where I think the 9-3 is a big improvement over previous SAABs. You'll be pleased to know that with a manual, the Aero will trump them all at 6.6. It is a significantly bigger car and it sounds like it'll be a better fit for you. I prefer a small car (wanted a coupe but none is available). Still, sad you had such a negative experience.

good luck.
  • Options
    I think you will find the 5 speed to be quite a bit faster... a little more than a second faster. Considering the 9-3 Vector has a 0-60 time of 8.1 sec., the manual should be around 7 flat.
  • Options
    needashaveneedashave Member Posts: 91
    Its been awhile since I've posted on this site and I thought I'd give my opinions regarding the ownership experience. I'd like start by saying that the 9-3 has exceeded my expectations in most aspects. I was away on vacation for 2 weeks and after driving a Chevy Trail Blazer during this time, I realize how much I actually love this car. With the exception of some minor annoyances, (Onstar, I had to reset DTE computer) the car has been flawless. Having previously owned brands such as BMW and Audi in the past, this car is every bit as enjoyable to own. Not to mention that it cost less and is much more unique. For those of you hung up on the minor annoyances, I suggest you consider buying a Honda. There is a price to pay for everything in this world and Saab has managed to package up a car that is fun to drive and easy to own. As I said in a post a few months ago, I continue to look for reasons to take trips to the 7-eleven just to get behind the wheel. These are my opinions of course.
  • Options
    guygabrielguygabriel Member Posts: 15
    Hi Vector6,

I haven't been on the post for awhile, so I just now saw your post about the "Pling" sound. I also noticed this just a short time after taking delivery of my '03 Arc (6-spd) back in April. It happens each time I depress the clutch; it's more of a feeling than an actual sound...like a spring snapping. I called the dealer right away, and he told me they would check it out at my 30-day service. When I brought it in, they tried to convince me it was normal. They even had me try the clutch of another car on the lot, and sure enough, it did the same thing. So it was hard to argue the point. The service manager tried to tell me it was part of the "quirkiness" of the car.

I also told them about the rough shifting (especially in 2nd and 3rd). Again, they said that was "normal". To tell you the truth, I absolutely love the car, but I'm less than satisfied with the service. Next week, I have an appointment to have my OnStar unit replaced.
  • Options
    regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    "For those of you hung up on the minor annoyances, I suggest you consider buying a Honda"

exactly, or a Toyota...but then that wouldn't be any fun!

Anyone know what the current incentives are? I thought I saw something that suggested an 'invisible' 5000 dollar incentive across the board, but who knows. That I have seen new 9-3 advert. for close to 21 grand would confirm that as a viable figure.

Is GM smartbuy available on Saab?
  • Options
    camaclecamacle Member Posts: 15
    Has anyone else had the infotainment display blank out? This is the display for the radio, cd, etc. Not the display on the dashboard. My dealer has not had to change one out before and is taking it out of the dash, and testing a number of components. It will be in the shop for a week perhaps.
  • Options
    Not sure about the $5000 incentive, but there is a $6000 incentive on 9-5's. As for SmartBuy, yes it still is available on Saabs (except for a few Northeastern states such as NY). Depending on where you live, there maybe more incentive monies if you choose SmartBuy.
  • Options
    also, anybody seen any 9-3's on lots that still have the 'launch package'?
  • Options
    GBrianK,

Drove the Aero 5 speed yesterday (drove the auto on Friday). Here is what I found-

Both have a ride that is 100% better than the 9-3 with the same 17" hp tires. With my vector, I feel every little bump magnified x10. Handling-the Vector felt a bit more nimble cornering, maybe it's the weight difference. Acceleration- hands down, the Aero with either transmission is better. Low end T lag is much more pronounced when you get back into the Vector (mine is a 6 speed) after driving the Aero.

Here is what I am having a hard time deciding, I think I like driving the Vector with a stick, the size and weight of the car are perfect for the 6 speed. While the 5 speed in the Aero was fun to drive, being quite a bit bigger, it doesn't seem to be as fun to drive with the stick as the Vector. Also, with the auto in sport mode, the Aero really moves well. High tech display award definitly goes to the 9-3. But, as I have stated in other posts, I don't like the fact that I have to push and turn a knob several times to switch from am to fm. Also, most of the gimics in the i system are ones that I won't ever bother with. Tomorrow is decision day.

Aero auto tranny owners, please weigh in. Have you had any problems with the tranny or the car in general? I have read some posts about the tranny doing some wierd down shifting on hills.
    Any complaints?

Thanks for any input.

JD
  • Options
    noknok Member Posts: 13
    You don't have to push and turn the knob to switch from fm to am, just hit the "Radio" button
  • Options
    I hope to get everything cleared up next Monday at the dealer. That's the earliest appointment they have available with a loaner car. I wonder what it'll be? They also sell Buicks and Volvo's. Just watch, I'll probably get some old Roadmaster...

Thanx all for responding to my D.T.E. complaint but it's definitely a computer glitch. After I fill up the tank, the readout says I have about 100 miles to empty but the mileage per gallon is still around 24 m.p.g. I know the tank holds more than four gallons. Maybe it's calculating in liters or something...

Needashave, you mentioned you had to reset the DTE computer. Can you post some more info, it might be connected to my problem.

I was going to respond to Jaydoll's post about the radio but Nok beat me to it. The radio system looks really complicated but when you get to know it, it's actually pretty easy to use.
  • Options
    I am not sure what type of driver you are. If you are the type that likes to drive on the edge of your seat, the 9-3 is going to be better. If you prefer a fast crusier with a little performance, the 9-5 is the best bet. Not to mention, all of the bugs have been worked out of the 9-5....can't say the same about the 9-3. Good luck to you, and don't forget to exercise those rebates from Saab Corp. Might help to ease the pain of trade-in on the 9-3.
  • Options
    needashaveneedashave Member Posts: 91
    Sloan...I had the same problem you did...the DTE reading was not in sync with the amount of gas in the tank. By resetting the trip computer (sorry, I don't have the exact sequence), the DTE reading gets reset as well. Haven't had the problem every since so it seems to be just a glitch. Give it a try a let me know if it solves your problem. I continue to be happy with my 9-3.
  • Options
    rfenikrfenik Member Posts: 1
    Hi everybody.
    This is my first post in this forum but I've been reading it since March 03.
    The information I found here helped me to make the decision on purchase of 9-3Arc in April. Also, I saved a lot of green, thanks to hint on GM supplier program.
    Thanks all of you, folks.
    I read a lot of times that you need to push and turn a knob several times to switch from am to FM.
    You do not have to do that.
    When you are in FM mode just press the RADIO button and you will switch it to FM2. Push it again and you will go to AM. Push one more time and you'll get FM1. That way you have quick access to 24 FM and12 AM presets from your steering wheel.
  • Options
    GBrianK,

Again today I drove both the both the 5 speed and the auto. I preferred the auto in sport mode over the 5 speed. They did a nice job with the sport mode program. Also, no whinning engine noise, and the aero seems to be fast as hell in sport mode. Of less concern but very noticeable, the sound system in the Vector was worse than my am radio that runs on a nine volt. The system in the Aero kicks compared to the Vectors.

Here is how the deal washed out, I gave them the Vector and $2500 with very low miles and got a Aero/touring package in Steel grey (stickered at $43300) with 7 K miles.
  • Options
    Guygabriel-

My pling isn't with the clutch - it's definitely something under the aluminum panel under the gearshift. It's sporadic, but when I do a 5k oil change I'll take the technicians for a ride to hear it. I'm sure it'll be a simple fix.

Jaydoll - doog luck with the Aero. Since you got a great deal on the Vector I think you did ok...our 9-5 is not an Aero, but stickered at 37 and we got it for under 30 two years ago - serious incentives were in place. Definitely a bigger car with a longer wheelbase. Much more the family car. I disagree wholeheartedly about the stereo performance, but I think you worked yourself up into such a frenzy about the 9-3 before even picking it up you were just looking for an excuse the bag the car. Only downside with the 9-5 is it's due for a big redesign shortly...
  • Options
    jaydoll: Great job! I think the 9-5 will suit you better (won't get to know your service advisor). I got confused on acceleration numbers and think I quoted you the 9-3.

9-3 Vector 0-60
    Manual 7.0
    Automatic 8.1

9-5 Aero 0-60
    Manual 6.3 (?)
    Automatic 7.0

If you don't mind me being nosy, drop me an e-mail with how much you paid after incentives. I'm interested only because I am considering leaving SAAB. The 9-5 would be the only car that would keep me from leaving.

vector6- SAAB is redesigning the 9-5, but if it follows in the footsteps of the 9-3 it might be a good idea to wait for 3 years to buy. I would be interested to find out if SAAB has redesigned the '04s to fix the bugs.
  • Options
    luba1luba1 Member Posts: 13
    Just bought my 2003 9-3 ARC w/auto & 17" wheel package a month ago. Put 2000 miles on and this car is more fun to drive than any Volvo (850 turbo) or even my RX-7 or 280 ZX. But this car has stalled 3 times, always from idle just when I give it some gas. The key fob had to be reprogrammed, and the sunroof won't close if I retract it all the way. I have to reach between the roof and sunroof to pull the shade out first. Once,the stereo sounded as if all speakers were blown. I turned it off then back on and all was well again. Also there seems to be much more volume in the front than in the rear(where there should be much more bass because of the trunk mounted 6x9's.The fade is set to the middle detent). The auto tranny has 3 times sounded like it missed a gear and the engine reved freely to redline. I love the way this car drives, but a car that lists for $34,000(paid GM employee price and received year end incentives-got a great price) should not have any of these problems. Has anyone else experienced any of this and what was the result? Oh, I almost forgot, on the highway I get 28-32 mpg, but around town I'm only getting between 15-16 mpg. What's up with that????
  • Options
    mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    The stalling with the @.0T Auto is a well known problem. They should be able to fix it w/ software updates, and reprogramming the idle. I had the same exact issue and after they fixed it, it hasn't happened again. They also should be able to reprogram your amps to give more volume to the rear speakers. It's a shame that they didn't check all of this stuff before you went home. These are issues that have been out there for awhile (mine was done about 4 months ago on both issues ) Not sure about the other stuff
  • Options
    buddhabmanbuddhabman Member Posts: 252
    I have 11,000 miles on my 2003 Aero Wagon (Auto) and haven't noticed any weird shifting. It is a little clunky when cold shifting from park but that is all I have noticed. I use the Sentronic ? Paddles once in a while and haven't noticed any problems either. The paddles are great fun, accelerating in third is pretty thrilling. y.
  • Options
    finklejagfinklejag Member Posts: 12
    Check out Saabcentral.com. Everything you need to know is over there. The auto's with early build dates are having the stalling problem. Every guy that got the software patch hasn't had the problem since. Next time you go in, ask for the update 4 for the radio.
  • Options
    lcp1lcp1 Member Posts: 14
    Regarding an incredible number of the postings!
    on this website;did you receive a document organizer when you took delivery of your new car?
     If so,in it you will find an owners manual for
    both the audio system and the car itself.You
    should consider spending some time reading both of them!
  • Options
    melissa99mmelissa99m Member Posts: 7
    I am about one step away from getting a 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero. I am, however, having some concerns about the high performance tires. I live in a cold, snowy climate (PA)-the exact kind they recommend you don't use the tires in. Since I will be leasing the car, I'm not too keen on purchasing a set of all-seasons to have for the winter. I was hoping someone could provide some insight on these tires. Are they safe to use in winter? Will they handle OK in the snow/ice or on the cold ground or am I going to be all over the road? Will they just wear out faster if I use them in those conditions? I would appreciate any insight anyone could offer into this area.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Look in the 9-3 brochure. In the small print on the next to last page Saab says: "A note about high performance wheels and tires...These tires are designed for optimum performance and handling in warm climates. They are not suitable for cold, snowy, or icy weather conditions. If you drive in these conditions, you should equip your vehicle with all-season or winter tires, which offer better traction under these conditions..." They go on to warn about how important it is to maintain proper tire pressure, and how the tires are harsher and noisier and wear more quickly.

Overall, I was very impressed with the fact that Saab is conscientious enough to actually warn its potential customers about the downside of high performance tires.
  • Options
    >Are they safe to use in winter?

You can use them but the traction will be almost non-exsistent. I don't recommend it.

>Will they handle OK in the snow/ice or on the cold ground or am I going to be all over the road?

The Rosso's have no traction rating for winter use.

>Will they just wear out faster if I use them in those conditions?

Possibly since there you will be breaking traction. You will find the traction and stability control working quite a bit attempting to restore control.

A set of winter tires would be preferable, but you can also trade the tires off for a different set. Pirelli PZero Nero M&S, Continental ContiExtremeContact and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S are just to name a few some good Ultra High Performance All-Season Tires. Cost wise you are looking (per tire) $125 (Neros), $108 (Contis) and $196 (Pilots). I have heard excellent things about all three tires and currently have the ContiExtremes on my Saab. You will sacrifice some performance and quiet ride...BUT, you will have all season capability.

Check with a Pirelli dealer to see if they will do the exchange and how much they would give you for the Rossos.

Where do you live in the North?
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    depending on how long your lease is, or actually, how many miles you drive, you may be replacing those high performance tires before your contract is up anyway. get prices on a winter tire/wheel combo and replacement high perf tires. it might be pretty close. can understand it isn't much fun laying out additional money on a new car, but it may pay off in the long run.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    mhewittmhewitt Member Posts: 14
    I have a 2001 9.3 that has been just about perfect when compared to the experiences I've read about on this board. No buzzing doors, no stalls, no audio problems, no this and almost no that. My biggest complaint about the car is that the dealer couldn't fix the rear sprayer on the HB door. The car has been great to drive, but when my lease is up in a month I'm moving to an Acura 2004 TL. With all the complaints I've read about here I just can't see buying the car and running it another 70k miles. Even now the pixels are starting to evaporate on my temperature/date read out and I'm sure things will just go from bad to worse even though the car barely has 32k on it. Better to leave at the top with a lot of fond memories.
  • Options
    logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    So you will leave something you know is tried and true and head over to something you have no personal experience with?
  • Options
    I did read the brochure...that's why I started questioning the tires.

Thanks for the info on the different brands of all-season tires. I know that I will have to replace the tires before the lease is up anyway so I'd be spending the money somewhere along the way. Now the only question is-should I keep two sets and swap them out every season or just trade in the tires the car comes with and keep the others on all the time?

Oh, and GBrianK, I live just outside of Philadelphia.
  • Options
    TL's a Honda product. Its bound to be a good car. Honda never puts out duds.
  • Options
    mhewittmhewitt Member Posts: 14
    Even though my experience with the 9.3 has been so good, during the last 6 months I've started to feel I am running on luck and borrowed time. When I took it in for its 30k check-up the service dept. person had just the barest hint of surprise in her voice when she said everything is fine with the car. In addition, the interior is starting to go in areas where there isn't much use. I haven't driven the car hard at all but I just have this subliminal feeling things will start to go in another year or so. I'm buying the 2004 TL and plan to keep it 7-10 years. Just one test drive and a lot of research here at Edmunds makes me feel I'm much more likely to keep the TL 7-10 years more cheaply and hassle free than the Saab. But I will miss that immediate interest in people's voice when I tell them I have a Saab.
  • Options
    hungshyhungshy Member Posts: 74
    While I look around as many board and driver comments on Audi, BMW, MB and SAAB. I feel pretty confident on this all new design 9-3. Mine has almost 15k in 11 months. include the bad accident happend at the second day of pwnership I wrote that history before. Today Saab still the best driving experience in my life. Solid, motivate and reliable. Those bad experiences from this board I see that's only minor. If you check those troublebenz.com or some lemon car site you will apprciate for what Saab work on this new 9-3. The first year re-design 9-3 has only these minor problem that's really amazing job from Saab. not many car manufactor can do the same. check those first year car of Honda or Toyota. see how many recall they got.... and another good comments for Saab, most of thier service dept. serve customer great. chek JD power rating then we can see how much improvement in Saab.
  • Options
    oehrleinoehrlein Member Posts: 30
    I don't want to spook any of you Saab owners but I'm a owner of a new Saab 9-3 purchased May 03. Graphite Green, auto trans, 16" wheels, cold weather package. I noticed a few oil drops on the garage floor so I took it in to the dealer yesterday. To make a long story short the dealer can not determine where it's leaking so they called in tech assistance. The engine head has to be pulled. Today I talked to the service advisor and the mechanic. They said they'll fix the leak, clean up the car, and put in new Mobil 1 oil. The dealer gave me a loaner, 04 Arc wagon. Very nice car. It appears my car will be in the shop at least a week. After my car is repaired I'll post a follow-up.
  • Options
    ewahlinewahlin Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 9-3 linear with sport wheel package. The car did not come with the tire sensors but I was wondering if anyone knows what it would cost to get it installed?
  • Options
    ramonaledgeramonaledge Member Posts: 5
    greetings,

i own a 1999 saab 93. for the most part i like it a lot.

BUT....

i let my dad drive it today and i told him that the only way to remove the key is to put it into reverse.

well, he got home and put it into what he must have thought was reverse and he couldnt remove the key. so i went out to check it out and it looks like it is in 4th, but i have to keep the parking brake on or it will roll - even with the clutch out. worse, is that i can remove the key and reinsert it, but i can not turn the ignition or move the gear shift from what looks like 4th gear. if that werent enough, the car is parked in front of the garage door where my mothers car is parked and she cant get it out. HELP!!!!!!!! if anyone has experienced this and has the secret to starting the car, i would be much obliged.

please email me at: backcountryjournal@hotmail.com to be sure i get it.

thanks in advance!!!!

mike
  • Options
    3and143and14 Member Posts: 36
    Does anyone have any specific insights into Saab addressing any of the quality issues apparent in the 2003 models in the new 2004s? There seem to be recurring themes in posts of buzzy doors , stalling with auto trans and substandard audio systems.

I am somewhat interested in a 2004 9-3 Arc(primarily because of eligibility for GM employee discount), but am leery of spending the kind of money Saab wants for a car with a predisposition toward these kinds of problems. Passing along any knowledge of attempts by Saab to improve the 2004s would be appreciated.
  • Options
    pablo_lpablo_l Member Posts: 491
    Well, it sees someone's about tos core a good deal on a 2001. :-)

I am not sure why the feeling is there that the car will be going - the Saab 9-3 is a very durable car, and there are plenty of them driving around very well indeed with well over 200k miles on the odometer. It's one of the reasons I bought a "GM 9-3" Saab (no leasing for me).
  • Options
    mumbhaimumbhai Member Posts: 11
    My car 03 Arc is in the shop right now to fix the Onstar system (dealer says there is a recall of these) and the random rattle/buzz problems.

While the dealership has my car they gave me a 04 Arc as a loaner. My car is a 6 speed stick but was impressed with the steptronic tranny of the 04.

The doors didn't rattle at all but the side-pillars (where the seat belt comes out) still buzz with the audio pumped up.

The read seats are also a but lose but it is a quick fix at the dealers and most of the noises go away.

Hope that helps you 04 buyers.

BC
  • Options
    Just got a 2004 6-speed 9-3 Aero and I love it! So far so good...of course, I've only had it 3 days. No random buzzing or other noises yet.

This car is a blast to drive. I'm having the Pirelli Rosso tires taken off this week to replace them with an all season tire. The Pennsylvania winters aren't very conducive to safe driving with summer high performance tires. So, I'm just going to sell the Pirellis and hope I come out even at the end.

Have I mentioned how much I love this car? My opinion on the noises is as follows: All cars have their problems. Think of the number of Saabs sold versus the number of people who post here. These forums are great ways to see if anyone else is experiencing your particular problem. That doesn't necessarily mean all cars have that problem. I will take a buzzing door or a slight rattle over a major mechanical or engine issue any day!
  • Options
    luba1luba1 Member Posts: 13
    Hi folks, thanks for your response to my 2003 9-3 ARC w/auto and 2800 miles problems (message 2078). Let me start this discussion by saying this car is more fun to DRIVE than any other car I've had. However, I brought my car to Saab of Southbay (Torrance, CA) to fix a malfunctioning sunroof, stalling(auto trans.),transmission slipping from 2nd to 3rd (under hard acceleration, in manual or auto. mode),stereo- where rear speakers had half the volume of the front speakers(no rattles or buzz though) and a key fob that would not open the doors,(they gave me the wrong manual key upon delivery, so that didn't work either). They gave me a 2004 ARC w/ auto and 17",(pillars between front and rear door buzz w/ stereo cranked) but not the sport springs, which lower the car about 2", as a loaner. They called to say my car was fixed, but they couldn't find a problem w/the tranny. O.K. When I went to pick it up, the sunroof still would not close after it was retracted all the way back. They replaced the stereo amp, claiming it was bad. They say they fixed the stalling even though no codes were shown, time will tell. In the mean time, my 2004 9-3 ARC LOANER, with 1700 miles, lost power(had no acceleration) on Saturday, and reverted to "limp home mode" after the engine light came on. Needless to say my enthusiasm is diminishing very rapidly for the Saab 9-3 "Sport Sedan". The dealer will deliver my 9-3 to me on Monday, w/ sunroof finally fixed, they say,(20 miles from dealership)and will "limp home" with their loaner! I'll keep you posted.