Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volvo XC90 SUV

Comments

• Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Probably not something you are interested in...but you can get a 1999-2002 Trooper with a stick. They stopped importing them last year...and there may not be many new ones left around, but used possibly.

Stickshifts in the US have slowly been going away. I learned to drive on one and my first car was one. I wouldn't get a 4 cylinder car without one, makes them much better and sportier to drive in my opinion.
  • Options
    rkuehnrkuehn Member Posts: 120
    I don't see how the Premiere would fly with the T6 4-speed, especially approaching $50k. Smart to kill it for now. However I think the V8 will take that price point with a five-speed, a much better fit.

I've read the 2.5T factory upgrade will take 208 hp to 218 hp. I think its a reworking of the engine, not software that can be upgraded. I think torque is unchanged, so I don't know how much one will notice the change.

Meanwhile my guess is that the idp upgrade will take it to 245-ish hp. I'd speculate the factory upgrade to 218 won't be nearly as noticable as ipd...

I wonder what the ipd upgrade will cost, I'd guess around $8-900? That's about half the cost of moving to the T6. Given the better transmission, ipd might be the best ride of all...
  • Options
    schuhcschuhc Member Posts: 333
    They have women posting on this board? What's next? They're gonna get library cards?

Honestly, I think Lisa just was adverse to learning on a stick in the city (She had an automatic 300Z in highschool *OUCH*). Chicago is not very stick friendly. Rest assured that Aine will be taught how to drive a stick as soon as she's old enough.
  • Options
    bigeddybigeddy Member Posts: 181
    Years ago when I drove a manual Jeep, the dealer (an experienced off-roader) mentioned they preferred the automatic because it was hard to shift and hold your beer at the same time! Besides, the auto provided more even crawling control over obstacles.

Today, the reason might be using a cell phone or other electronics that get in the way of shifting.
  • Options
    clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    How many feet above sea level are you. Unless you are way above sea level you would get toasted by the new (04) X5 and any FX. Best times achieved on the t6 are in the 7.6 0-60 area, That is about the same for the 03 and older X5 4.4 (so you may be walking those as you claim) but any FX and the New X5 would leave you way behind.
  • Options
    rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    I'm at sea level here in Orange County (about 3 miles from the beach.) I have no idea what year the 4.x was I played with. I've never run head to head with any FX while I was in the XC90 T6 yet but I would expect the FX45 to be hard to match.

By the way, the 7.6 0-60 time is for a test of a new vehicle, not a broken-in T6. Sometimes I wish I could rent a G-Tech Pro just for a day....hey there's a business opportunity!

Thanks.

-rollie
    rdollie@att.net
  • Options
    From what I read recently it appears the V8 XC90 will debut with a 6-speed automatic, not a 5-speed.
  • Options
    I think it depends on where you live. My wife is originally from Iowa and although technically not a farm girl (her parents are educators) I think as a generalization mid-West women are more use to driving sticks (maybe because they're not far removed from a time when everybody had to know how to drive a tractor?)

For what it's worth, my wife is VERY adept with a manual transmission. Until my S60R I picked up a couple of weeks ago, we haven't had a stick in the family for about 8 years. Last year we went to the Volvo R event and on the autocross event the Mrs. hopped in the S60R MT and beat most of the times posted by the men (I was quite proud I must say.)

-rollie
    rdollie@att.net
  • Options
    clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    Hawkeye or cyclone your answer will probably clear up all my questions :)
  • Options
    qanukladyqanuklady Member Posts: 5
    "Meanwhile my guess is that the idp upgrade will take it to 245-ish hp. I'd speculate the factory upgrade to 218 won't be nearly as noticable as ipd...
    I wonder what the ipd upgrade will cost, I'd guess around $8-900? That's about half the cost of moving to the T6. Given the better transmission, ipd might be the best ride of all... "

Please define "ipd" for me. This sounds interesting, but I don't know what you are talking about.
  • Options
    sharonsharon Member Posts: 76
    I can certainly understand choosing not to buy a stick (traffic reasons or whatever). I just have a hard time with someone not being able to drive it. I remember once, when I was in college, a friend's date had a bit too much to drink. The car he was driving had a manual transmission and she couldn't drive it...

Anyway, after my experience trying to sell our manual Volvo 850, as much as I prefer a stick, I don't think I would purchase a manual XC90--lease it, maybe. I would be afraid that a manual XC90 would be to hard to sell, in my area.

Sharon
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I'd probably agree that re-selling an XC90 with a manual transmission may be relatively more difficult than a BMW X5 3.0 6-speed, and certainly more so than a 3 or 5 series sedan or Audi S4. I think that is partly due to the fact that Volvo's image, at least with wagons and SUV's, isn't aimed at the enthusiast driver to the same degree as BMW or Audi.

However, even in Washington DC traffic, we have never found the 16 manually shifted gears in our 3 vehicles to be any more of a pain than an automatic is in city traffic. And, coincidental or not, the BMW M5, which only comes as a 6-speed, has substantially better resale than the E55, which only comes in an automatic, in our area.

I was glad to see Acura introduce the new TL with a 6-speed option. I tend to think the steptronics, automanuals and even the high performance SMG's are now being seen for what they are: mostly gimmicks. Give me the real thing, and I won't have to go through the "8 steps to good acceleration" as previously posted by Rollie.
  • Options
    adp3adp3 Member Posts: 446
    interesting geographical theory re woman and sticks. I think a woman's (or man's) ability to drive a stick is correlated to the kind of transmission his/her dad drove. Then again, my mom taught me to drive, and it was an automatic, but I know how to drive a stick....so there goes my theory

My wife grew up in the SF Bay Area and knows how to drive a stick. Even owned a car with a stick IN San Francisco, certainly the least stick-friendly town in the country, if you are worried about hills. Some years ago we were in the new car market and I wanted my wife to test drive the car. We got in and I climbed in back. The salesman was surprised, saying "the little lady can drive a stick?" (yes, those were his actual words) My wife looked at me, and as I buckled in I said, "it's all yours, honey"

needless to say, she gave the car a very aggressive test drive. Am pretty sure that salesman never said that again. And, of course, we did not buy the car from him.

My biggest complaint about driving a stick. It is damned hard to drink a cup of coffee and drive a stick. Add the cell phone issue to the coffee drinking and now I am driving with my knees and shifting with my chin. Not good.

:-)
  • Options
    1sttimevolvo11sttimevolvo1 Member Posts: 189
    My biggest complaint about driving a stick. It is damned hard to drink a cup of coffee and drive a stick. Add the cell phone issue to the coffee drinking and now I am driving with my knees and shifting with my chin. Not good.

I can't floss and drive a stick.......:(
  • Options
    volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    The 2005 XC90 will probably have the new S40's short block I5, which is a different engine from the current car, so no factory upgrade for the 2004 XC90's is possible.
    Manual XC90's are on sale in Europe.
    They would be impossible to sell or resell here.
    In over six yrs of doing this my store has sold 3 manual wagons.
    As for the V8, look for a price increase from the T6, in fact we're still not certain if the T6 will be dropped. If so it would only be for a yr or so till the new T6 engine is available.
  • Options
    I've discussed the proposed Yamaha V8 engine with a friend who is an engineer for Bridgestone. In our discussions he was talking about the vehicles they've had at their test track (He designs suspensions). One of his favorites (as far as domestic, affordable cars with some oomph) was the Ford Taurus SHO, which had a V8 Yamaha in it.

Any ideas as to whether the proposed V8 has any genetics rooted in this engine?
  • Options
    ipd is a company that sells performance upgrades for Volvo's. Apparently at some point they will offer an upgrade to the ECU programming for the 2.5T, I think it will basically increase max turbo boost in the mid- and high-range. So you would notice a difference on the open road, which is where the T6 is superior to the 2.5.

I hated the speed sensitive steering in the T6 and wasn't too crazy about the 4-speed either. The ECU mod should get you close to the T6, with the advantages of a better transmission, steering (my opinion) and mileage.

Of course its all hypothetical until the upgrade is actually available...

If you're not desperate (I was), you might wait a year for the new 2.5 or V8.
  • Options
    qanukladyqanuklady Member Posts: 5
    I was desperate, so I've owned my 2.5T for almost a month now (and am loving it). however, since there's not much open road in Houston, waiting probably wouldn't have ended up mattering to me too much anyway :o)
  • Options
    volvomax:

"Manual XC90's...would be impossible to sell or resell here"..."In 6 years..sold 3 manual wagons".

I would agree that the US market is different than the European one when it comes to manuals. But part of the issue is Volvo itself. I drove a new T5 wagon with a 5-speed some time ago and, frankly, it was a terrible dissapointment. The shifter was long throw and spongy and the clutch had no crispness whatsoever. Under those conditions, anyone who really enjoys driving a manual would be put off. Interesingly, I have driven some manual Volvo's in northern Europe and they were better.

rollie:

Sorry, for the delay in responding. So you would have me believe that an XC90 T6 that is among the slowest of the "sport" utilities and crossovers brand new somehow becomes a world class performer after 12,000 miles? And, of course, none of the competition benefits form proper break in? You aren't in the info-mertial or vitamin business, are you?

As for C&D's 1994 proclamation of the 850 sedan as being the fastest automatic sedan? I guess those writers were too young to remember the 300SEL 6.3 of the late 1970's which the FWD Volvo 850 couldn't match nearly 20 years later.

I don't want to have my comments misinterpreted as being disparaging to Volvo in any way. They make some very fine automobiles. But your insistence upon inflating the performance virtues of a FWD based, automatic transmission (4 speed, no less) vehicle is stretching it, to say the least. As is suggesting that Volvo's "R" vehicles are in any remote way competitive with "M"'s, AMG's or even Audi's "R". But you are certainly free to enjoy your vehicle for whatever reasons YOU want. I'll continue to have respect for Volvo for entirely different reasons.
  • Options
    volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Yes the Volvo manual wasn't much fun to shift, neither was the Mercedes manual as I recall.
    Regardless, the current 6 spd manual is a fine gearbox and nice to shift, it still wouldn't sell enough to justify the federalization costs.
    Not enough people want to shift their own gears in a wagon or SUV.

As for Rollies remark, the 850 Turbo was deemed fastest for its segment and year. Not all time.
  • Options
    beenjamminbeenjammin Member Posts: 6
    "From what I read recently it appears the V8 XC90 will debut with a 6-speed automatic, not a 5-speed."

Rollie, where can we find more info on the proposed V8? I'm still trying to decide between the MDX and the XC90. With all the talk about the possible Hp upgrades to the 2.5T and the speculation concerning the V8, I may hold off of making a decision until Jul/Aug of this year. Perhaps the decision will be between 2 Volvos and the MDX.

Let's hope my 10 year old vehicle holds up! :-)
  • Options
    Despite your rhetoric, I won't stupe to your level (and I'm a scientist, not exactly in the infomercial business - what are you?)

More to the point, I stand by my statements. Further, your proclamation about the 'R' is pure ignorance. It already has superior grip over the S4 and M3 (according to C&D) with better high-speed chassis dynamics. The only things it suffers from in my experience is less steering feedback than I would like (the e46 M3 has the same problem) and it is slower 0-60 than the M3. Of course for $1k a chip fixes that. By contrast the S4 plows due to understeer in the corners (I blame the V8 / Quattro combo which adds to a tendency to understeer in the corners.) The e46 is also known for it's mild understeering tendencies (by design) although it is better now than it was when it first debuted. The 'R' Volvos are the only cars I know of that understeer entering a curve, are neutral at teh apex, and oversteer on exit. In terms of performance, you simply can't hit curves in the M3 as fast as you can in the 'R' - period. The M3 is beyond a doubt a more rewarding drivers car - with all the shortcomings that implies.

More to the point, the 'R' was never marketed as competition to the M3/S4 here in the U.S. With a delivered price as low as $35k it's simply the bargain Euro performance machine (same niche as the old S4 when it debuted in the late 90s here in the U.S.)

Back to the XC90 T6, yeah, it's much faster broken in than comparable vehicles if you drive it hard. I don't have to know why or offer an explanation - reality is reality. I do know from experience that Volvo's current inline engine family is VERY tight from the factory and the high-pressure turbo variants typically open up a LOT after 10-12k miles if you are the type who drives it like you stole it. I have over 100,000 miles behind the wheel of these particular engines from 6 different vehicles - now if you have stronger anecdotal evidence from your ownership experience please share it. I've never called the XC90 T6 a performance machine - I said it has better high speed handling (emergency lane change for example) than the X5 and does get faster (potentially much faster depending on driving style) with seasoning. If you read what I wrote I said that I (not everyone or even anyone) else with a XC90 T6 have had no problems with theoretically faster vehicles on the road. Faster does not make it a sports machine - I've never driven a sports 'car' that was a SUV and I don't believe they exist (don't get me wrong - I would still appreciate a Cayenne TT in my garage.)

Thanks.

-rollie
    rdollie@att.net
  • Options
    The V8 won't be out until January next year from what I'm hearing now. In terms of where you can get more info - well, ummm, I can't actually say as this message would be deleted by Edmunds (ask me how I know.)

-ROLLIE@ATT.NET
  • Options
    beenjamminbeenjammin Member Posts: 6
    "The V8 won't be out until January next year from what I'm hearing now. In terms of where you can get more info - well, ummm, I can't actually say as this message would be deleted by Edmunds (ask me how I know.)"

Rollie,

Understood. Check your email.
  • Options
    What are the odds...I misspelled my own email address. I'll have to be more careful in the future.

Thanks.

-rdollie@att.net
    -russell.ollie@alum.mit.edu
  • Options
    gold233790gold233790 Member Posts: 183
    Ok, we were one of the first to take delivery of the XC90 in November of '02. 2.5t, 5-seater, 17" wheels (not standard on '03 2.5), premium and climate. Had our share of minor issues- the rear shocks went out on each side, the jack wouldn't stay secure and constantly thumped, etc. Nothing major, but annoying.

Anyway, wife LOVED the car, but we are expecting child #2 to go along with labrador retriever. Needed the versatility of the 3rd row. Plus, we are moving to a new town and thought it best that we both have a NAV (I know, lazy. But when you have two kids and a dog whining in the back, it's nice not to have to consult mapquest to get everywhere for a little while).

So, with the X plan in tow, we upgraded to a fully loaded '04 2.5t in Crystal Green. After about 1k miles, absolutely no problems. The NAV isn't perfect, but it gets us there. Mileage isn't great, but we know through experience that it will get better. Still not a great performer in the elements, but we may swap out the tires for winter driving. After all, the safety of the vehicle was a factor in our decision- so why wouldn't we make sure it was the safest car we could make it?

Just my 2 cents....
  • Options
    adp3adp3 Member Posts: 446
    Jeff: from what I've read (and I am a car novice, at best), you should have winter tires if yuou are driving in a "real" winter (i.e., occasional snow and ice). The tires make the car. If you are in the snow, but on 4-season tires, you are not very safe. Just my 2 cents. Of course, it would be nice if you had room in your garage to store them. I still haven't explored having a place store my tires for me, for the 9 months that I won't experience rain, never mind snow or ice.
  • Options
    dfeldmanmtdfeldmanmt Member Posts: 1
    Thinking about trading our much enjoyed X5 stick for larger fare. We live in NW MT on a switchbacked hillside, and having spun out Explorer and X5 at <20 mph when we have rain on hardpack snow, have concluded only studdable snows will cut it. I see raves for NOKIAN WRs, do they really measure up to studs under these conditions?

Does any one know if there is an aftermarket sat radio that integrates with XC90 entertainment system? I'd give up use of the factory FM input connection, or DES, to have sat radio, but do not want a tumor box on the dash and kluged connections. I suspect it can be done easily judging by integrated design used in the vehicle, but is there demand for it to exist?

Thanks,
    DON
    don_feldman@alum.mit.edu
  • Options
    We're not allowed to cite external websites here but there are some good threads out there on this topic for the XC90 already...

By the way, nice email address.

-rollie
    russell.ollie@alum.mit.edu
  • Options
    I've read elsewhere that you'll be able to get a Sirius install at Volvo dealers sometime around April. Ford ownes Volvo and has a stake in Sirius. Stay tuned.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Lots of email addresses being posted on here. A word to the wise:

Email Address Harvesting: How Spammers Reap What You Sow

I have studded M&S's and came too close to a Jersey barrier coming down from the ski hill last week (< 30mph). I used studded tires a lot when I lived in Anchorage too, and while they are useful for getting you moving, they don't work miracles when you are driving, especially if you are driving too fast for conditions (as I was last week).

Lots of brand talk in Snow/Ice winter tires.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Thanks for the email reminder. I didn't click the link but am familiar with the engines that can comb forums and other sites for addresses. I simply didn't think about it in relation to Edmunds but I have been getting a LOT of strange spam lately... I'll have to change to a 'manual' email address in the future (e.g., rdollieREMOVEJUNK@att.net.)

Thanks.

-rollie
  • Options
    durango508durango508 Member Posts: 37
    Well, the tripmeters just reset by themselves for the first time. We bought a 2004 silver 2.5T AWD, Climate, Versatility, Premium at the end of November with just now 600 miles on it. The only other problem we have had is trying to get the homelink to work the garage door opener. I have tried programming several times with no luck. The homelink web site doesn't help, it just gives the directions that are in the owners manual. Any of the homelink posts earlier on this board didn't seem to have any answers.
    I think someone said to press the buttons harder
    or a couple of times. Tried that too.

I didn't see anything in my opener manual about it having a rotating code.

A couple of small inconveniences for an otherwise very nice vehicle. But, none the less, inconveniences on a $43,000 vehicle!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    No guarantees, but if you mark your email public in your profile and point people to it when need be, that should fool most spammers.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    If the standard procedure isn't working you should just assume you have rolling codes (most all openers made in the past several years do.) The procedure is more involved and is best accomplished with two people. Further, it worked fine on my S80 T6, V70 T5, and XC90 T6 but for the S60R it didn't. I had to use the handheld remote (which in theory shouldn't have worked I don't think but it did.)

Good luck.

-rollie
    rdollie@att.ent
  • Options
    Thanks Steve. I think I'll just point people to my profile from now on.

-rollie
  • Options
    geneletourneaugeneletourneau Member Posts: 1
    after an oil change how do you reset message center without going to the dealer?
  • Options
    robertb3robertb3 Member Posts: 1
    Our 2004 xc90 (T6, AWD, 7000 miles) has a (very) slight brake squeak, even after brake dust was cleaned. Pads and everything else unremarkable. The mechanic says minor brake squeak is typical for the vehicle. Should i believe that?
  • Options
    michael115michael115 Member Posts: 7
    First, re the e46M3/S4/Volvo discussion above, at the end of the day, nothing puts a smile on my face, or makes me feel as secure, as flying around a sweeping mountain road at 120 mph in my M3. To me, that place is where the e46M3 shines and few cars compare. I have doubts about a volvo *r* being one of them, but who am I...

Real Issue: I have a 6 month-old T6 and feel generally *OK* about it so far. Comfortable, nice, but nothing too special. Which is fine with me. I occasionally pull a 4,500 lb tent trailer and no problems doing so. Over the last several months the T6 has developed a creaking suspension sound while turning corners that seems to originate from the front. It also occasionally makes a disturbing and deep "pop" sound (and feel) when turning. Dealer says they can't find anything wrong - and they say they have fully checked the suspension/bushings, etc. I won't be satisfied until whatever is making these sounds is fixed. Any ideas where I should point the service people?

Oh, one other thing - occasionally (why is everything "occasionally"??) while stopped and idling, the engine will make an embarrassing "groaning" type of sound - loud enough that other people will look at my car with that "what the &%$@ was that?" look. Any ideas?
  • Options
    durango508durango508 Member Posts: 37
    Rollie,

Thanks for the tip. That did the trick.
    I then had to reset the remote in my truck and the one we had in the Volvo in a similar fashion. Both work as well as the Homelink now. That is what I get for not reading the directions fully. I think the owners manual said something to the affect of most openers made after 1996 having rolling codes. Thanks again.

I'll have to ask about the tripmeters resetting themselves the next time we are at the dealer.

Thanks again.
    Paul
  • Options
    The M3 is a great corner eater at all speeds. From my experience the e46 M3 chassis is a bit less communicative than the R in 'advanced' setting but the M3 steering gives a bit more feedback (neither is world class in this area - the e36 M3 was more communicative than both.)

Regarding your S80 T6 I'm not sure what's going on (have you checked the control arms and engine mounts?) However, I am surprised by the amount of weight you're towing. I sold my S80 T6 last month so I don't have my manual handy but I'm pretty sure the towing limit for P2 based sedans/wagons is about 3,300 pounds. I suspect 4,500 could be done with a tranny cooler and some other enhancements but in stock form I think you're towing too much. The suspension on the S80 is barely adequate on the front end as is for high speed tosses - I really wouldn't want to put too much weight/stress on this setup with heavy tow loads.

Thanks.

-rollie
    rdollieHATESSPAM@att.net
  • Options
    rollie,

I think michael115 has an XC90 T6, not an S80.

michael115,

Congratulations on owning an E46 M3 and I have to completely agree with you that it is in a different league than the S60R. I have driven both, alnong with an AMG C32 extensively and, with the only exception being my strong preference for a 6-speed manual, I would rate the M3 first by a large margin, the C32 next and the S60 last with respect to handling, steering and anything else related to "driving dynamics". My current daily driver is a Maxima, so any of the three is impressive by comparison. But I also have a Honda S2000 that gets about 40% of my driving miles and the M3 is the only one with handling and steering that can approach or match that true sports car level of sharpness and precision. And I would put the E46 ahead of the E36 which I previously owned, but who am I... Congratulations again.

Back on the XC90 T6 vs. 2.5, I have rightly or wrongly convinced myself that the 2.5 is the only one that makes sense, given what else we are looking at. Using the tax deduction, the after tax cost of the 2.5 is roughly $5,000 less than a Honda Pilot. If I wanted performance over utility, the 2004 X5 4.4 is the absolute choice, not jumping up to a T6 with antiquated 4-speed and Expedition type gas mileage. Granted, I haven't driven or experienced rollie's broken in T6, but every other one I have driven doesn't offer that much greater performance and certainly nowhere near the X5.

My plagueing question is that, even if I say to myself that performance isn't a priority in our SUV, will the XC90 2.5 be dissapointing over the next 5-7 years. Nothing else we are looking at has that little of horsepower, and I'm also concerned that in a heavy 6,000+ lb GVW vehicle, that little engine is going to wear out.
  • Options
    myfunsarelowmyfunsarelow Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone installed an electric brake controller on an XC90….If so how is it accomplished, is the Volvo wiring harness set up for this application and what other accessories are needed….I plan to install a Hidden Hitch, just want to make sure I order the correct parts for this installation.
  • Options
    roper6roper6 Member Posts: 8
    Michael, My T6 also has strange noises from the front end. They have replaced the rack, some type of bearing in the steering column, but it is still there. The Volvo rep is supposed to be here next week to look at it. Hopefully they will be able to fix it, but after all of that, plus a new rear end, exterior mirror, rear seat latch, air mass sensor, and the inability to fix the trip meter, I'm ready for a new car. It only has 5600 miles in it!
    Last weekend we drive it to Des Moines, about 250 miles. Almost 21 MPG heading south with 87 Octane, filled up with 90 octane in Des Moines, and got 14.5 MPG on the way back. All Highway miles using the cruise control. I guess when you drive North, you really are heading uphill!! ;)
    I get better mileage in my 350 V8 Suburban with 6 people in it! No explanation on that either...
    After 3 Volvo's (80 240, 92, 940 Turbo, 02 XC70) that were exceptional cars, I'm fed up with this thing!

OK I feel better now after venting...

David
  • Options
    myaomyao Member Posts: 6
    I have 2.5 AWD and 3200 miles on it. The car has noise coming from the front end when I step on break in cold weather. Called dealer and was told few other people has the same problem, especially during very cold weather. Thing bother me is the noise is gone when it is not too cold.

I will bring it back to dealership next week and interested to know what will be replaced.
  • Options
    I would be worried if the noise was there persistently regardless of weather. If it's only there in extreme cold I wouldn't be concerned if the car otherwise performs as normal (it could be something as simple as the temperature causing the pad to rotor contact to make noises as both will be 'harder' than normal.)

Good luck.

-rollie
  • Options
    dachshund2dachshund2 Member Posts: 39
    geneletournea - Check message 2401 for a description of the service message reset procedure.

michael115/roper6/myao - I've read about two different things that can cause the noises that you describe.
    1. Axle splines slipping/moving on the shaft. Loctite is being used to repair this.
    2. Replacing the front strut upper retainer springs has also been reported as the solution for front end noise.

myfunsarelow - The Volvo wiring harness in addition to the normal lighting wiring gives you the choice of either charge line, rear fog, or reverse lamps. I think there has been a change in the adapters, but I don't think this gives the electric brake function. I'd check with my dealer for advice.
  • Options
    bankeizenbankeizen Member Posts: 46
    Does anyone know if the XC 90 will be available with a larger engine and\or better transmission for next year?
  • Options
    uscpsychouscpsycho Member Posts: 17
    I posted about this problem months ago (shortly after buying my XC90), and didn't get a response. So I'm hoping others have experienced this by now.

On my XC90 (2.5 AWD) both of my trip counters randomly & simultaneously reset to 0.0. I have a theory about this which I am presently testing... Say you have counter #1 displayed constantly. Is it possible that when counter #2 hits 999 and rolls back to 0 that a software bug causes both counters to reset?

This theory is countered by the fact that one day, after filling my tank, I was going to reset the counter but it already read 0.0. True, counter #2 may have just rolled over as I pulled into the gas station, but that's quite unlikely.

Does Volvo know this is happening? There must be others this has happened to...
  • Options
    Supposedly Volvo suspects it has to do with the metric conversion. or lack thereof. Many people report their trip odo's reset at about 620 plus miles, which would be approx. 999km. This would occur if odo 1 was reset to zero while odo 2 was not reset. Others, however, (including me) have noticed it's somewhat random. I have experienced a reset when the odo is as low as 26 miles or at say 85 or 120 miles. The instances I have noted are far between, only occuring three times in 7 months.
    I haven't ruled out the metric deal, as I don't always notice whether I have reset both odos when I refuel, or just one. Since it's my wife's daily driver, it's more difficult to track.
    Volvo is working on a fix.