Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volvo XC90 SUV

Comments

• Options
    adp3adp3 Member Posts: 446
    an S80 does not meet my requirements: I need more than 5 seats, so the S80 is out, no matter how safe it is.

If you want more than 5 seats, there aren't many vehicles (if any) that compare to the XC90. True, I will be upset if my new XC90 turns out to be like armd's, but there's no way I am buying any of the other 7 seaters. So my decision would have to be to go down to 5 seats, and that is a worse alternative than having a 7-seater with a few problems that can likely be fixed if you scream loud enough. I like the ride/drive/safety of the XC90 over the LandCruiser, Suburban, Escalade, Denali, etc. etc.
  • Options
    rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    I'm afraid you didn't read and comprehend the results very well. No vehicle got more than 4 stars (in fact only 2 did as I recall including the XC90.) Most got 2 or 3 stars. Sure 5 stars would have been nice but so far no vehicle in this class has made it and it will take something newer than the XC90 to do better I suspect.

More to the point, stars are class specific. A 5 star econobox is typically not safer than a 4 star barge for example. You can't compare SUV star ratings to sedans (you can compare things like bone impact loads but I don't think NHTSA publishes that yet - just EuroNCAP so far.)

Thanks.

-rollie
  • Options
    wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    You can't compare SUV star ratings to sedans (you can compare things like bone impact loads but I don't think NHTSA publishes that yet - just EuroNCAP so far.)

I agree with you to a point. However, with the following caveats:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/ncap/Info.html#iq6

6. Can I compare vehicles from different classes?

Depending on the weight of a vehicle, it can be compared to other vehicles in it's class. Since a frontal crash test into a fixed barrier is similar to a crash between two vehicles of the same weight, the frontal crash test results can only be compared to other vehicles in the same weight class and those plus or minus 250 lbs.

Side crash test results can be compared across all classes because all vehicles are hit with the same barrier and at the same force.

Rollover Resistance Ratings can also be compared across all classes.

Thus, the XC90's 4-star passenger rating in their frontal crash test, vs. the S80's 5-star passenger rating in the same test, is not directly comparable. However, it's easily implied that because of the XC90's higher weight, the "real" difference is definitely significantly less than "one star."

That makes the high IIHS and EuroNCAP scores for the XC90 all the more impressive, because the vehicle scores at the top of its class, and because that class is one of the heaviest classes. Thus a top score in the heavier class often implies more protection for occupants of the heavier vehicle, than the "same" top score in a lighter class. Not as good news for impacted cars beyond the front bumper compatability, but good news for occupants of the XC90.

Finally, there are other significant factors. Sure, the rollover potential in an SUV in general is going to be higher than a sedan. The XC90's RSC obviously helps here, along with its relatively good SSF. But the ride height of an SUV, and the higher height of the passenger also brings safety advantages. Side impacts from sedans tend to impart less damage to higher-riding occupants in SUV's (one reason most SUV's get 5-stars in NHTSA's side-impact test, which uses a barrier the size of a Corolla). Riding higher helps with side-impacts from other SUV's, by helping lower the aggressive impact point (further lowered by side curtains) below the head.
  • Options
    sharonsharon Member Posts: 76
    armd said
    "Today, the washing system for the lights went out."

Are you low on washing fluid? When the fluid is low the light washers don't work. Conserves fluid for the windshield.

When my XC90 was delivered over a year ago, the washing fluid ran out not long after I got the car. I think they purposely ship it without a lot of fluid and the dealer forgot to fill it.

Sharon
  • Options
    1sttimevolvo11sttimevolvo1 Member Posts: 189
    Are you low on washing fluid? When the fluid is low the light washers don't work. Conserves fluid for the windshield.

Correct. It's a design feature that allows you to conserve your fluid once it gets below a certain point. Nice to have!
  • Options
    I just read that the March Consumer Report shows the dreaded black dot for the XC90 on reliability.
  • Options
    wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    I just read that the March Consumer Report shows the dreaded black dot for the XC90 on reliability.

Can't be a shocker. It'll probably improve in a couple of years, just like the S60 and V70 eventually improved to "average."

Obviously on these forums you'll find folks with no problems and folks with a lot of problems. While CR's methodology is far from perfect, I trust it more than other sources.
  • Options
    myaomyao Member Posts: 6
    The reliability should be unknow due to lack of vehicle history.

Here is the summary I got from Consumer Reports.

highs: flexible interior, seven-seat capacity, safety features.

lows: fuel economy, transmission
  • Options
    xraymanrrxraymanrr Member Posts: 34
    I have the 04 XC90. About three times when I started up my car the navigation system starts to give me directions. This is when I have not used the navigation system for several trips prior. I have to raise the navigation system screen to reshut the system down. Has anyone else experienced this problem and is there a solutuion?
  • Options
    shadowchasershadowchaser Member Posts: 94
    If you haven't reached your destination, it will keep trying to get you there. You need to clear the itinerary.

But...if you haven't cleared the itinerary but turn off the nav before turning off the car, it will not come up until you ask it to.
  • Options
    uscpsychouscpsycho Member Posts: 17
    In a previous post, someone mentioned some theories people had as to what is causing trip counters to reset.

Fwiw I have some info that may help narrow the possibilities. I am pretty sure that the reset happens when you start or stop the car. Today is the second time I noticed that when I started the car the trip counters had reset to 0.0. There were some idaes that the trip counter resets after a certain number of miles. I doubt that is the case because it is highly unlikely that on two seperate occassions I would have parked my car at that exact moment.

So this seems to be a random thing, or triggered by something that is unrelated to milage. Whatever is causing this, I am convinced that it happens when you shut the car off or start her up.
  • Options
    dachshund2dachshund2 Member Posts: 39
    The last information that I've heard on the reset is that it occurs at the first restart after either trip computer has crossed 620 miles (999 km).
  • Options
    The last information that I've heard on the reset is that it occurs at the first restart after either trip computer has crossed 620 miles (999 km).

I tested it this weekend myself, since the Trip2 odo was near 620 miles. I left it on this setting and sure enough, when it reached 621, it reset to 0. My understanding is that Volvo has acknowledged as much and is working on a software upgrade.
  • Options
    volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Software upgrade exists.
  • Options
    jp666jp666 Member Posts: 15
    I have been told by the Volvo personal shopper and our local dealer that the DVD system is now available to be ordered and installed. They are waiting to install one to confirm the pricing..But they did confirm that it is a ceiling sytem...If anyone learns what the suggested price is please let me know..
  • Options
    mmmm8mmmm8 Member Posts: 26
    Hi Jp666,
    Yes, the DVD Rear Entertainment System is available. My sale guy told me at the beginning of Jan. It costs $3000 even with parts and labor. First come first serve and not too many units are available though. Placed my order. All the parts were in last week. Schedule to install last Friday and was told just take a day. Since I was the first one (guinea pig), they run into problem, ... Finally, just picked up my car this morning. It is very nice. It integrated to the rear parking assistant. So if you put on reverse, the monitor flip it up. When put in drive, automatically put back down. However, the DVD drive is installed slightly behind the last row (3rd row) on the roof. So driver cannot change disc while driving. That's the only draw back to me. Hopefully I picked some movie which runs long enough so I don't have to stop in the middle of the trip to change it. It comes with 2 wireless headsets and a remote. So at least I can control while driving. Also it is color code to the interior, in my case, taupe.
  • Options
    My driver's door window sill (where I rest my arm) is squeeking more and more...despite the dealer "insulating it" Anyone had any luck in fixing this?
  • Options
    jp666jp666 Member Posts: 15
    mmmm8

$ 3,000 Ouch that is pricey..my dealer told me they would install at cost since I had to wait so long..I wonder what that would be..

Can you confirm that the sound can be heard thru the xc 90 premium sound system and not just the headphones ?
  • Options
    >>$3,000 Ouch that is pricey..
    I feel the same. I think I can have a third party to put a system for much less. When I checked around such as goodguys, circuit city, their price are very attractive. But as soon as they heard is a 04 model, they bailed. They just said there isn't enough data. Also, I like headrest monitor more than the roof mount monitor. And some local shop, the system just won't integrated into the existing stuff. So after a long debate between my head, I go with the dealer afraid of something screw up, it's still cover under the warranty.
    I will try it out tonight, and let you know. But when I tried the system at dealer, the sound was going through the DVD speaker though.
  • Options
    clheitclheit Member Posts: 18
    I'm very drawn to the xc90 and my husband and I are planning on starting a family next year, so the volvo seems like a good fit. However, I've been reading some posts and (of course) now I have concerns about reliability, and questions about the best engine size and getting good tires. We drive from the SF Bay Area to Colorado every xmas and good snow tires are a must.

So, in brief: 1)How would you rate your xc90 in reliability (I'm looking for an overall rating from across the board)? 2)Is it possible to negotiate better tires when buying (we have no space to store winter tires... need good all-seasons)? 3)What engine do you recommend? I'm thinking the V8 is probably a good bet... does anyone know if it'll be turbo-charged too, if so, is that a good thing or not? I've heard turbos can burn out. Lastly, is it a bad idea to buy the new engine in its first year, before it's been tested and had the kinks worked out?

Please share your thoughts! Thanks!
  • Options
    armdarmd Member Posts: 33
    Sorry, but the washer fluid level was full. They diagnosed it as a "blown fuse", but could not find any reason that it blew. Worked fine for a couple of days and then guess what?

It has failed again. Another trip to the dealer and the saga continues...

adp3- no surprise here and Consumers' findings match my own experience.
  • Options
    durango508durango508 Member Posts: 37
    Our Volvo dealer told us when we bought in November they had a third party that they have been using to install DVD systems. We looked at the dealer owner's XC90. The install seemed really nice and had a screen in the back of each of the front seat headrests. They told us $2000 at the time. We never got into too many details. We are expecting our first child and think some entertainment will be well worth it for the long drives to visit family at holidays in the future. We haven't done that yet and as of late have been thinking of getting something that would hang between the front seats that we could put in the car for long trips. We haven't looked at that option very seriously yet either. But were thinking $500 or so for something that could be put in for trips might be better than $2000 for something built-in. Just a thought. Maybe the $2000 price will come down in the future too and make it worth it. Who knows.
  • Options
    I have 18in tire come with my 2004 2.5T AWD. It works well. (I live in Minneapolis). The engine has enough power for me. (I am not a race car driver though)
  • Options
    schuhcschuhc Member Posts: 333
    I have 18 inchers on my 2004 T6. They work very well (I'm in Chicago). The engine has enough power for me but the gas mileage... WHOA!
    I have heard great things on this board about the 2.5T. We bought the T6 because I have the T5 in my coupe and just made what I thought was a safe decision to get the 6 as the truck was obviously going to be heavier then the coupe.
    From what I understand about the V8, it is a very solid engine so you shouldn't be worried about kinks (just filling up every 200 miles, instead of 300 for me and probably 375 for the 2.5T).

Reliability....3500 miles and no complaints. Have not needed to take it in for anything except an oil change.
  • Options
    >> Can you confirm that the sound can be heard thru the xc 90 premium sound system and not just the headphones ?
    No. Try all sort of things. It only come out in the wireless headphone and it's own speaker.
    Look through the manual, it doesn't mention anything setup for the car sound system.
    But in the brochure from the dealer, it does mention they are independent from your car sound system. The only thing it use is the backup light wire for flipping the monitor up when put in reverse gear. I know I should read everything before I order. Actually, it claims it is a good thing because the driver can enjoy whatever independent of the DVD. I guess it may be right since the front row can't enjoy it anyway and it's illegal in CA. But at least there should be a setting in the car sound system to select the DVD sound for a $3000 system. Definitely will ask the dealer about that.
  • Options
    Understanding that I have an aftermarket system with the screens in the headrests.....

My DVD system cost me $2,500 in Chicago and the installer put in a switch where I can tune into 88.7fm and flick the switch and it goes over the whole sound system.

Put in the "Life of Brian" DVD for my dad the other day and it really sounds good over the system.
  • Options
    I'll tell ya - if anyone thouught we were having a recession, they'd be surprised to see conversations about $3,000 little TVs people were putting in their cars

:-)
  • Options
    I went to the Chicago Auto show yesterday and saw the Bentley coupe, the Avanti and the Maybach and was thinking (close to) the exact same thing.
  • Options
    I didn't get the installed dvd. Thought like you did...why not spend 250 (7 inch screen) for one I can hang between the seats on trips (don't want my kids watching on every trip to the grocery store)

It works fine but I have to tell you- you have to hook up the power cord and for me, 3 sets of headphones (with a splitter) and it really makes spaghetti with all the wires. You have to turn contortions to get from the front seat to the middle to change the disks. I have to pull over. I thought...wouldn't it be nice to have my kids with wireless headphones, no wires...and be able to change the disk from the front. Just something to think about
  • Options
    Latest update. Dealer couldn't find any current drain across the circuit when they replaced the fuse a second time. They think water is getting in the mechanism and freezing causing the motor to overload and short. Excellent Volvo design - build a headlight washer which can't deal with H2O. Glad these numbnuts don't work for NASA. Come to think of it, maybe that's where Volvo snagged their engineers from.

Solution? The dealer installed a circuit breaker which trips instead of blowing a fuse. Great fix - now I have to find the circuit breaker everytime I want the front headlight washers to work.

WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP!

As soon as I can dump this car for something well made, I will. Am already taking a huge hit on the depreciation. Can't wait for the Lexus hybrid...
  • Options
    armd: I am sure I would have the same feelings as you, if I have similar problems with my XC90. It's one thing to have an issue like that with an older car (and I do, with a 150k mile Grand Caravan), but quite another with a new car. I'd drive it to the dealer and demand a loaner until they fix it.
  • Options
    I agree with adp3. If it is that much of a lemoon, take it back and have them fix everything to your satisfaction. Gonna be a heckuva lot easier than trying to find a group of people to file a class action suit with. As for my '04 T6....No issues whatsoever.
  • Options
    Oh, they fixed it alright by putting in a circuit breaker in instead of a fuse, but it is applying a band-aid on a real design problem.

Update - picked up the car today and noticed that the Left front foglight is cracked. Coincidence? Perhaps, but all of the crap with the suspension has been occuring on the Left front side. Dealer denies any culpability and I'm stuck with a $185 fix and another trip to the dealer.

My nearly weekly trips to the dealer are getting pretty old. I'm told that they are going to stencil my name on a private parking space.

Never, ever encountered this number of problems with my Hondas, Subarus, and yes GM's.
  • Options
    They think water is getting in the mechanism and freezing causing the motor to overload and short. Excellent Volvo design - build a headlight washer which can't deal with H2O.

In all honesty, likely not a design flaw, but an assembly anomoly. Were it design related, there would be more than one or two people on this board having problems.
    Any washer motor will burn up if water or insufficient mix of fluid and water is introduced into the reservoir, and it freezes. Happens quite often.

Pursuing resolving your problems through your state's lemon laws would be the best course.
    It's unlikely that a trolling expedition by an ambulance chaser will result in enough people with similar problems.

Good Luck
  • Options
    Never, ever encountered this number of problems with my Hondas, Subarus, and yes GM's.

Odd, I'm the polar opposite, as I have not encountered but 2 minor, easily fixed items with mine, but have had problems with my Mercury, GM, and Toyotas. Hmm.......go figger.;)
  • Options
    roper6roper6 Member Posts: 8
    If anyone lives in a cold climate (I'm in Minneapolis), turn your steering wheel to the left and right after you start your T6 on a cold morning. If you hear a "clunk" could you post it here? My dealer is now telling me that it is a "normal" sound for the XC90. Surprisingly after the new rack, rear end, mirror, air mass sensor, I have no "New" issues. I still have the trip meter reset...

Thanks!

David
  • Options
    srjacobssrjacobs Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2004 T2.5 - bought in December. Shortly after I bought it - I got a warning saying the anti-skid feature needed service. When I stopped the car and restarted - it went away. But then came back later. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the SAS module. After just a couple of days, the message came back. And again today it happened - in both cases once I stopped the car and restarted it - the message went away. I noticed in the manual it says that if the message goes away after you restart it - you can assume there is no problem.

Have others experienced this intermittent warning message? If so, is it real? Any idea what is triggering the sensor to indicate this problem every so often?
  • Options
    I live in Minneapolis too, and I have 2.5T. Did not have same problem you have. However, I did have front end clunk issue couple weeks ago when little harder than normal break/start. Brought it back to dealer and had it fixed. They told me it is the struct plate. It seems the problem has stopped.
  • Options
    Sounds like you have major issues. You should send the general manager a letter documenting all your issues and next time you go in, meet with him to talk about them. Sales drives the service dept. You are obviously not satisfied with the service and I'm sure that you're starting to get a reputation with them. I say your best bet is to take it to the GM and then find another dealership to do the service on the 90 if you end up keeping it.
  • Options
    "Major issues"? 8 significant defects and over 16 days in service within the first 6 months of ownership.

The service department has been responsive and addressed the problems, though are short on explanations. The typical response is "Yah, we've seen that...)

I can't afford to bring this car in every (other) week for another problem. It doesn't surprise me that Consumers labeled the XC-90 as a "black dot" in terms of reliability. While the vehicle doesn't meet the rather strict criteria under my state's "lemon law", it is pretty clear that this XC-90 is a $45K hunk of junk.

As far as the dealership is concerned, they have my cash and will faithfully continue to service the vehicle for as long as the warranty requires. Still, this seems pretty inadequate and one would have expected a higher standard of quality and responsiveness from Volvo N.A.
  • Options
    cheapskate7cheapskate7 Member Posts: 25
    Had my 2.5t '04 since last June. Key link fell off - otherwise no problems. My 8th new vehicle over the years - best record of all!
  • Options
    Agree with you completely. That's why I'm thrilled that I've had no issues whatsoever. As far as the 'black dot' is concerned, I believe that they also use a black dot when there is 'not enough information available', so I wouldn't read too much into it. I remember when the c70 came out right after the "Saint". The 98 had issues but I've been thrilled with my '00, just as my wife has been thrilled with our '04 XC90.

Since you seem to have so many major issues I would get rid of it in favor of an AMC Pacer. I think I read a few posts back that someone found their old Pacer had significantly less defects.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    aaa_edgar_poeaaa_edgar_poe Member Posts: 24
    When ther is not enough information CR gives:

Predicted reliability: NEW

I think one should put a lot of weight into it. I have now taken the XC90 and T-reg off my list for a new vehicle purchase. Volvo needs to learn that reliability is ALSO a safety concern.

Here are a few events, I think probably true, where reliability equals safety:

(1) Car stops in middel of street. Guy gets out of his car and starts to push it toward the side of the road and tears his tendon on his foot's heal -- his muscle is hanging by a thread.

(2) Bill Cosby's son murdered by Russian immigrant while changing a flat tire (run flats would have prevents this).
  • Options
    aaa_edgar_poeaaa_edgar_poe Member Posts: 24
    I think that's the one to get. A hybrid comming this fall from Toyota (perhaps # 1 in reliability) and will get better than 27.5 mpg.

Quality has many factors. Some are: (1) reliability, (2) maintainability which ia a function of cost, frequency of failure, and down-time to repair, (3) service-life predictability which rolls into maintainability, and (4) low variation, (5) delighting the customer, e.g., saying one will be so many miles per gallon and getting much less, as is the case of XC90 city MPG -- reference C.R., is not delightful.

Volvo seems to me mainly satisfy 'passive' safety. Volvo XC90's are perhaps recommended for lazy drivers that eat and talk on cells phones while driving and want to be protected when they hit someone. Of course, the way things are going, its a war out there with every one trying to get higher and higher and bigger and bigger. Well, at least that's more money that goes to Suadi Arabia and the Royal family there takes 30 to 40% of the oil money for themselves and fund, ya you got it, jihad aginst the West (reference the New Yorker Magizine of several weeks ago titled 'The Silent Counrty') --oh, that's you. Thank you Ford, and Volvo, and you lazy gas guzzeling drivers.
  • Options
    I think that's the one to get. A hybrid comming this fall from Toyota (perhaps # 1 in reliability) and will get better than 27.5 mpg.

Quite possible, though first year vehicles typically have market-entry problems. If people look at these boards and see the small number of complaints (versus large number of owned vehicles of that model) and they make broad assumptions these vehicles are overall pieces of trash, then the same could be true of the Toyota Highlander.
    Numerous complaints about brakes and other components would lead someone (using the skewed logic noted above) to assume Toyotas (that bastion of reliability you refer to) are pieces of crap as well.

Volvo seems to me mainly satisfy 'passive' safety. Volvo XC90's are perhaps recommended for lazy drivers that eat and talk on cells phones while driving and want to be protected when they hit someone. Of course, the way things are going, its a war out there with every one trying to get higher and higher and bigger and bigger.

Boy, talk about a statement made with little or no reasoned thought put into it. This asinine statement essentially says that any vehicle with a 4 star safety rating or better is targeted towards lazy drivers who eat and talk on the cell phone. Personally, I do not like to eat when I drive AND I utilize a hands-free cell phone and headset when I need to use my phone.
    Volvo XC90 bumpers are designed so that the bottom portion of the bumper lines up favorably with the bumper of passenger cars. Therefore, the idea is to minimize one-way impact damage seen in most SUV-passenger car accidents.

It seems your rant is better suited to the "I don't like SUV's, why do you?" board.

I have yet to get a response from an earlier question regards to how Consumer Reports, J.D. Powers, etc. obtain their information regards to vehicle ratings. On one forum a person wrote that CR sends surveys to its subscription holders. If this is accurate, this seems hardly scientific in that it is only a very small fraction of owners.
  • Options
    "Volvo seems to me mainly satisfy 'passive' safety. Volvo XC90's are perhaps recommended for lazy drivers that eat and talk on cells phones while driving and want to be protected when they hit someone. Of course, the way things are going, its a war out there with every one trying to get higher and higher and bigger and bigger."

Don't forget about those of us that like to do shots as well. A lot of us think that eating and talking on cell phones isn't a challenge anymore so we've branched out.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    lexus or vw?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    aaaedgarpoeaaaedgarpoe Member Posts: 107
    I do not work for any auto company/dealer. I drive a 1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme.

Good point on Volvo's low bumper to help protect other drivers.

I think it should be obvious when I make a general statement, there are exceptions. Most of my obsurvations I really reiterated from a 'New Yorker' acticle on SUVs.

It appears auto manufactures are attempting to convince people they need to get bigger and higher, in various reptilian ways to over-ride our cognitive thinking. XV90s are very different from F-150s and Excursions.

I will say the b-pillar is badly placed on the XC90 so as to reduce vision to the side, but makes one feel safer since people looking at you from the side will not see your face all that well as one hides behind the b-pillar.

Let's not forget the fight aginst terrorism and buying more gas only helps fund it. I am a solid Bush supporter but I would have thought a good and cheaper way to fight terrorism is to take away their money they get through oil, and that means using less oil which really bothers me about Bush -- of course Clinton didn't do much to make us less dependent on oil. So at the moment I am waiting to see what Kerry has to offer along this way of thinking and might just change my vote.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You might want to take this up in the I don't like SUVs, why do you? discussion. You might even enjoy it!

tidester, host
  • Options
    Blah, blah, blah...

I know that my complaints have continued on like a soap-opera saga - but I've never owned a car with so many defects. The latest, while absolutely minor is just too much to pass up.

The lugnuts are rusting. That's right - after 7 months of ownership, never having touched 'em, they're all rusted and staining the alloy wheels.

Geez, my 9 year-old Subaru's lug nuts aren't rusted.

My analysis:

Volvo = Ford = Fix Or Repair Daily