Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volvo XC90 SUV

Comments

• Options
    volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Look for an uprated 2.5T engine as well as a new V8 in Jan 2005.
  • Options
    gold233790gold233790 Member Posts: 183
    I'm putting snows on the XC90. In the NE, and it's been a slightly more snowy winter than usual. And the original tires on my '04 2.5t are horrible in this stuff. Here's the thing- I've read wonderful things about the Nokians, but they are nowhere to be found around here.

Anyone know anything about the Michelin Pilot Alpine's? I have Michelin snows on my sedan, and they are great. I don't need the absolute BEST snow tire out there, just a pretty competent one that won't run me $200+. The Blizzaks are darn expensive, and the Nokian's (if I could find them) aren't much cheaper. But I can find the Michelin's for $150 ballpark....
  • Options
    sharonsharon Member Posts: 76
    Where in the NE are you? I'm in NJ and I had one of the STS Tire and Auto centers put my Nokian WR SUV all-seasons on. I know they had the Nokian snows as well. I know this because they put them on my car by mistake and had to remove them to put the correct tires on! The WR SUVs were $136 a tire (16" tires).

I had the 16 inch Continentals on my car and they were beyond horrible. The new tires have made a HUGE difference in the car's snow handling ability.

Good luck,
    Sharon
  • Options
    gold233790gold233790 Member Posts: 183
    I'm in NJ. STS doesn't have the Nokian's in stock for the 17" wheels. If they were, they'd be $196, plus $50 for mounting.
  • Options
    mdandgmdandg Member Posts: 11
    Myao,

Regarding your message # 2720, concerning noises when braking - see the solution Volvo offered me under "XC 90 Problems and Solutions, #21. It did the trick.

By the Way, I haven't seen a response to the question about squeling/squeking brakes. I have developed the same problem in the last few days on my 2004 2.5T. It has 1200 miles.
  • Options
    crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    Don't quote me on this but I hear that the 4.4L V8 is a Yamaha derivative and will have 315 hp and about 325 lbs-ft. of torque.Rumor is that it will have a 6-speed auto tranny, possibly either a Sequential Manual Gearbox (similar to BMW M3) or Direct Shift Gearbox (similar to Audi TT).
  • Options
    akabubba1akabubba1 Member Posts: 11
    I have put the Michelin Pilot Alpins on and it has made a difference in driving around Philly.

I have FWD only.

Randy
  • Options
    1sttimevolvo11sttimevolvo1 Member Posts: 189
    I've heard the same rumor about the powerplant being a Yamaha. If this is true, that'll be great news, as the V8 Yamaha in the Ford Taurus SHO was a hell of an engine.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    all the yama/ford engines(back to 89) were great.
    had the 3.0 and 3.2 v6's and the 3.4 v8) :)))))
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    armdarmd Member Posts: 33
    I had the exact same problem coming from the left front. Sounded like a clunk starting/stopping, etc. Turns out it was a problem with the strut plate/cap.

This car is a piece of junk - six months, six trips to the dealer. Volvo=Ford=Garbage. Wished I had leased this crap instead of having purchased it. Never again.

Owned a handful of Subarus, drove them hundreds of thousands of miles, never encountered a problem (well, except my 9 year old LSI which has a leaky fog-light). Either I'm going back to the Subies or will buy a Lexus/Toyota.
  • Options
    aljalj Member Posts: 11
    Your post is putting FUD in my decision to buy a XC90! I have ordered a XC90 for delivery in February. I am moving from a Subaru that never has problems and kicks butt in the snow. I really do not have time or patience for problems. When was your car manufactured? I have waited till recently to order hoping the problems have been addressed.
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I don't mean to sound negative, but the last thing I want to hear while I'm considering a $40k+ Volvo is that it will share anything in common with the Ford Taurus. Sorry, but the Yamaha engine in the Ford Taures may be great, but apparantly not great enough to prevent the rest of the vehicle from earning a below average rating on quality and depreciating like crazy compared to standard Japanese brands like Nissan, Honda and Toyota. Compared to "premium" Japanese brands, Ford depreciation is equivalent to tossing your cash in the toilet.

I have generally considered Volvo a "premium" brand, although it has tested this definition at times. Now, if the best Volvo can do is borrow from Ford's engine outsourcing strategy, that is a pretty sad commentary on their in-house engineering capabilities. How many 3/5 series do you think BMW would sell if they couldn't make a decent engine themselves? What exactly makes Volvo a premium car company? The method by which they assempble other manufacturer's parts?

It's one thing to outsource a Mark Levinson stereo system, but another to outsource an engine. That's just my opinion.
  • Options
    adp3adp3 Member Posts: 446
    I dunno - I think I'd rather have the Yamaha engine (an engine built by "an engine company") than whatever engine BMW is putting in their cars. BMW's high-end engines are good/excellent, but the entry level BMW engines are nothing to write home about. Well, unless you are writing daddy to tell him how lousy your new car's engine is, of course.

Outsourcing is a fact of life. Good companies understand that they should continue doing what they do best and outsource what they do not do best. Thank GOD they finally truly outsourced stereo systems. I wish they'd outsource more! Wouldn't you rather sit in a seat designed by a real seat expert, rather than someone at Ford? Or perhaps you wish that Ford still made its own TIRES! Again, thank god for someone somewhere having the vision to outsource. If the outsourcing is GOOD outsourcing, then what is the problem? Of course, if they buy junk from lousy companies, that is a problem. I've never heard a single bad thing about that Yamaha engine, for example. And if Volvo can take advantage of the excellent deals Ford likely gets from its vendors, then it will benefit Volvo buyers. Of course, if Ford turns Volvo into "Ford-Sweden".....

but even the best outsourced engine can not stop the rest of the car from being junky - Ford probably should have outsourced the Taurus SHO transmission, brake system, interior design, exterior design....:-)
  • Options
    rkuehnrkuehn Member Posts: 120
    A japanese engine in a Volvo? What's next, a Subaru rebadged as a Saab...?
  • Options
    To put the rumors to rest.

The engine is being built by Yamaha. It has no analogue or relation to any existing Ford or Yamaha engine. Volvo simply doesn't have the capacity or expertise w/ V8's and the XC90 is too important a car to leave to chance.
    The engine is a 60 degree V8 4.4 liters 325 hp w/ a 6 speed geartronic tranny.
    BTW , Aisin Warner builds Volvo's trannies, has for years.

Outsourcing isn't uncommon at all.
    BMW and Benz use ZF trannies and steering racks.
    The E500 Hammer used engines built by Porsche.
    Porsche also had a hand in designing the original I5 and I6 Volvo engines.
    Mercury Marine built the ZR-1 Corvette engines,
    Lotus does engine work for everybody.
  • Options
    ndmdndmd Member Posts: 27
    When would do you think I should order one, if I need it in Feb-March 2005?
  • Options
    Probably Nov Dec if the order can be placed then.
    Generally Volvo needs 90 days to build and deliver a car.
  • Options
    amiretamiret Member Posts: 29
    Will the new 2005 V8 use reg gas, or premium fuel?
  • Options
    doctdoct Member Posts: 20
    same price, like them both, can't choose,

any opinions
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    In the spirit of being as helpful to our Town Hall members as possible I have tossed a virtual coin on your behalf and it came down on the side of the 2003 xc90T6!

Enjoy! :-)

tidester, host
  • Options
    Bet on Premium gas for the V8.

Used XC90 2 yrs newer, more room, more safety.
    BMW more ego.
  • Options
    gardencargardencar Member Posts: 293
    A few posts back, some one was complaining about the V8 Volvo coming out with an engine built by Yamaha. Their main complaint was that it had been used previously in the Ford SHO Taurus! Never mind that numerous posts applauded that choice. Also, it assumes that Ford couldn't possibly put out much that's worthwhile. Well, I've owned a Volvo GLE, way back when, when Volvo was still Volvo, and one of the cars I still own, is a V8 AWD Explorer. Well, the Ford has been as reliable as my old GLE was, with the added plus of being much cheaper to maintain; all this while doing extreme duty, towing a nearly three ton boat for many years.

My point is this, don't sell Ford short and specially, don't sell Yamaha short. Their automotive engines may not be too well known, but they are stellar performers and extremely reliable in the boating industry. A large portion of the top boat companies use Yamaha motors for outboard applications. In fact, years ago, a selling pitch used by boat salesmen was that a Yamaha was the "Mercedes Benz" of outboards. Wonder what they're saying now, the
    "Lexus" of outboards, maybe?
  • Options
    Will the 2005 V8 be a turbo?
  • Options
    guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    Yamaha has been supplying most, if not all, high performance Toyota's for years. The Supra's engine and the Celica turbo engines were made by Yamaha. My 1988 turbo Celica AWD had ­"Yamaha" stamped on the engine castings.

Nothing wrong with the engine in my FJR1300 either.

Guy
  • Options
    Doct, you do have some decision. Let's consider the positives of each vehicle first and then we'll go over the negatives.

Positives:

X5
    - It looks good.

- The handling is great, only X3 can beat it.

- The acceleration is terrific, even X3 can't
      beat it.

- Safety rating is good.

- Great interior appointments.

- Towing capacity is very good, 6000lbs. for V8.

- 20" wheels are head turners.

- BMW name has larger prestige factor.

XC90

- It looks good.

- It has an excellent safety rating.

- First SUV or SAV with roll over stability
      protection.

- Only SUV or SAV with boron steel roof.

- Has seven seating capacity.

- Has one of largest cargo capacities in class.

- With third row seats, qualifies for 6,000lb.
      farm/work vehicle tax write off.

Since the half time show is just about over, instead of listing their negatives, of which there aren't too many, I'll give you a comparo.
    IMO, the Volvo wins by a nose in the beauty department. It still takes my breath away whenever I see one.

For safety, the Volvo again gets a nod for all the safety innovations.

As far as reliability, according to CR and JD Powers, the BMW beat Volvo over the past few years. But the Volvo is newer, and has three more years of warranty and two years of free service versus the Bimmer's one year of warranty and no free service.

As far as resale value, if you sell within the next few years, the X5 might take a hit because
    a new model is due in the next three years.

If you get the Volvo, since it is a newer model, you'll get to drive it longer before a redesign makes it outdated.

As far as utility, in the cargo and people hauling department, the Volvo gets the nod.
    In the towing and payload department, the BMW wins.

In the interior department IMO, the BMW looks more like a luxury car, although the fit and finish of the XC are superb, and the seats are the most comfortable I've ever tried.

They are both beautiful cars and closely matched in some departments. Personally, I would go with the Volvo because it's newer and I have a family. Therefore, that third row is bound to come in handy. The towing capacity doesn't come into play because I have a different tow vehicle.

In the end, you have to weigh the pros and cons for yourself and decide which one will fit YOUR needs best. Does the need for speed fit in with your lifestyle more than utility or vice versa?
    Hope this helped. Best wishes with your decision and keep us posted!
    OOPS! The second half's already started!
  • Options
    shadowchasershadowchaser Member Posts: 94
    you shouldn't have missed the half time show.... the end was a bit more interesting than the xc90
  • Options
    Holy cow! You weren't kidding! It's all I've been hearing about! Rats!

Oh, well. Hope doct appreciated my sacrifice!
  • Options
    doctdoct Member Posts: 20
    for the time and input...will let you know
  • Options
    uscpsychouscpsycho Member Posts: 17
    When I bought my XC90 I had them include the laptop desk as part of the deal. The instructions include installation on a bunch of cars other than the XC90, but the dealer tells me it's the same unit, they just need to get me instructions for the XC90.

Is that true?

More importantly, is this a consumer install or should it be done by the dealer? The instructions are archaic at best and are quite involved. SIPS components are involved with the installation. Even if I could understand the directions I'm not sure I should be futsing with safety equipment.

When a laptop table is sold, is installation usually included (the thing lists for $300!)? Should I expect them to istall the thing? If not, what should I expect to pay for installation?

Once installed, how easy is it to remove/replace the table for those times I need a human in the passenger seat rather than silicon (or a silicon-bearing human for that matter)?

Thanks.
  • Options
    It is not my intention to discourage you, but here are the facts. I picked up my XC-90 in June of '04 (exact manufacture date unavailable) and have experienced the following problems:

1)Upon delivery there was some kind of plastic adhered to the paint which required repainting of the entire door.
    2)A clunking noise eminated from the transmission which required some kind of adhesive.
    3)Driver's side door had a significant rattle which had to be repaired.
    4)The L front strut retainer cap/plate had to be replaced (due to the clunking noise)
    5)A different creaking began to occur recently coming from the suspension (happened whenever starting or with a stop). The dealer lubed a series of control arms and the problem has seemed to have gone away for now.
    6)The driver's side window seems to slip about an 1'8th of an inch resulting in wind noise intermittently - cinching the control up one more time seems to resolve this. Dealer says that Volvo is aware of this and is trying to come up with a fix.

This car reminds me of a Chrysler I owned in the early 80's. Is it indicative of all Volvos? Who knows, but I am surprised by the lack of QC and the number of defects present and which continue to appear.

Having been a big Subaru owner (have had 4), the experience with Volvo is exasperating! My Subies needed oil changes, brakes when appropriate, tires when appropriate, and one (my '95) required the removal of towing rings on front b/c of concerns that it would set off the airbags. That's it. Either I've been extremely lucky or Subaru makes a solid car (though my recent impression is that their quality is slipping too).

I'm convinced that the reason the XC-90 is billed as the "safest" is that it is always in the shop and never on the road. If someone in Japan produced such a defective product, heads would roll. Volvo NA is unresponsive and utterly useless. So, in essence, I'm saying know what you are getting into before you buy.

At the time I purchased the XC-90, Volvo was in the lead in terms of features/technology - anti-roll, air-curtains, etc. Now, Lexus and others have updated their products and are worth looking into.

BTW did I mention that the power seats seem to reset themselves for no apparent reason? Any more questions?
  • Options
    It is not my intention to discourage you, but here are the facts. I picked up my XC-90 in June of '04 (exact manufacture date unavailable) and have experienced the following problems:

The build date would be nigh on impossible to ascertain for a car received in June of `04. Sorry.........couldn't resist.
    Wow, sounds like you've had alot of trouble. Though they are "facts" as they pertain to your experience, most aren't having those problems.
    By and large, there is someone who bought `X' brand car that had numerous problems with their car.
    The thing with forums like these is people tend to discuss their problems instead of it being a big "everything's fine with my car, no problems here" love-fest.
    True, I haven't had but one issue and that was with the radio power in August of `03.
    After 7 months and 11,000 miles it's still a dream to own, and I don't regret my decision.

Best thing to do is test drive what you like, compare the features, and make your choices based on that. All in all, there is a slight chance you'll get a turd no matter what you choose.

Good luck!
  • Options
    BTW did I mention that the power seats seem to reset themselves for no apparent reason? Any more questions?

But, hey! Again, it's not my intention to discourage you. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.
  • Options
    myaomyao Member Posts: 6
    Here is the fix from my dealer.

Drop engine cradle and fill bushing cavity with silcon grease
  • Options
    highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    could it be you got one of those from the Tricolor.....from the bottom of the English channel..... :-) Just kidding.

All cars have some niggles......form what I read in all the forums......hope your dealer fixes it.
  • Options
    highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    the outsourcing.... volvomax.

even Porsche did not do their own transmission, and had Aisin of japan design and build one for the Cayenne. All raves so far....... :-)

The body/chasis is by VW.....OK so far also...
  • Options
    A user wisely posted a question about his fears as they related to purchasing an XC-90. I answered them accurately based on my personal experiences.

Is my car a "lemon" or is it indicative of some real problems with Volvo/XC-90? Well, you decide...

By definition, this particular vehicle does not meet the Lemon Laws of my state. Have the defects I've encountered been excessive? By comparative standards (to other manufacturers), yes!

Are these issues unique to this vehicle as indicated by your statement that "most aren't having those problems"? Well, let's analyze them, shall we?

1) Paint problem - haven't heard of too many similar complaints - score 1 for you.

2) Transmission coupler requiring adhesive - "a known problem" according to my dealer, "a bulletin has been issued" - score 1 for me.

3) Door rattle - who knows - tie.

4) L strut cap/retainer plate - according to my dealer, "yah, we've seen em" - score 1 for me.

5) Creaking/clunking out of front end requiring lubrication- several folks have posted on this forum and others indicating this problem - score 1 for me.

When I add it up, it suggests, at least from dealer indicators that many of these problems are indeed quite common. How common? I don't know, but, when a dealer indicates that they have received bulletins on it and seem to know what is happening, one has to wonder.

I made a very important disclaimer in my first response and I do so again. Realize that I don't have an axe to grind, am not a "competitor", and have no motivating reason to bash Volvo. Still, one doesn't expect a $45K+ car to be in the shop at least once a month with problems. Volvo N.A. and the dealer have been very nonplused about the whole affair. I have to wonder whether this is the reason why Volvo scores so low on loyalty ratings?
  • Options
    Sounds like the memory function in the remote needs to be set. Each remote can store one of the 3 memory positions for the drivers seat.
    If a specific one isn't chosen the remote will remember the last setting used.
  • Options
    Are these issues unique to this vehicle as indicated by your statement that "most aren't having those problems"? Well, let's analyze them, shall we?

I think it's more than accurate to say that "most" aren't having these problems, consdidering the number of Volvos sold in North America as of 2003 is nearly 39,000, the number of problems logged on this board is minute in comparison.
    I stated in my post that I agreed the number of problems with your car seemed like alot. The thing I was pointing out is that while most don't have those problems some do. Message boards often-times (not all the time, but alot) tend to be magnets for discussing problems with one's vehicle - and that's fine. It's a valid (if not always primary) function of these boards.
    By nature, people are not going to log on and chat about the problems they're not having.

Also, the way you presented you're argument, though maybe not intended, seemed disingenuous.
    Saying "It is not my intention to discourage you, but here are the facts...." is sort of saying "I don't - but I do intend to", based on the unfortunate experiences you are having with your vehicle. The "facts" are not that these are necessarily wide-spread problems.
    And like I said before, anybody can experience problems with their vehicle, but it doesn't translate to a widespread problem most of the time.
    I hope you are able to get your problems addressed. I was simply trying to provide some perspective.
  • Options
    I have been waiting for Volvo to work out the bugs with the XC90 since its introduction. I have researched other vehicles in its class and the XC90 is the car that meets my family requirements.

This forum as well as the swede forum provide owners and perspective buyers with the opportunity to discuss XC90 problems/solutions and what owners like/dislike. I have noticed that regardless of build dates (old and new) a lot of people are experiencing the same problems: seats change adjustment on their own, squeaky brakes, roof rack vibrations, defective window trim, hard to close rear hatch, trip computer wacked out, front end clunking, rattles in doors, and the squeaky cargo cover to name a few. That tends to tell me Volvo is not fixing the little annoying problems on the factory floor or at the port of entry. In fairness, I think some of the larger problems have been addressed like the parking brake, wheel alignment/tire wear, faulty hoses, and tranny problems. It seems to me they do not want to slow production and revenue to fix the little problems. Instead, they want to fix these problems after the fact on the customers time via their dealers? Maybe, they think most customers won't notice the problems?

I realize nobody mfgrs a perfect vehicle, but I really do not want to take my time and frustration to fix noted problems in these forums. Especially, because my dealer is over an hour away!

The Volvo presales/customer care employees that I have spoken to have no clue or do not want to acknowledge many of the problems mentioned in the forums.

I would sure like to talk to a Volvo regional service rep or someone in QC management (not the dealer) to ease my concerns, but I can't seem to get beyond the sales types. Any ideas?
  • Options
    alj,

Check the NHTSA website and look at the consumer complaints for all each of the vehicles you are interested.
    The thing that I did early on was look at vehicles such as Lexus RX models, Acura MDX, etc. basically, models that had a few years head start over Volvo.

I compared the first year models of these vehicles and the complaints logged. When you got into the 2nd year models the number of complaints dropped. By the 3rd year models, the number dropped even more.

This is true of nearly all vehicles when first introduced.

I would offer that if you really do want an XC90, wait for the `05 model year. Like anyone else on this board, I can only offer my experiences with my vehicle, which have been very positive.
    However, if the doom and gloom you see on the message boards stir doubts, then buy something else. It's that simple.
  • Options
    mmmm8mmmm8 Member Posts: 26
    Totally agreed with 1sttimevolvo1.
    I also have a really positive experience with my 04 T6 so far. The only problem I have is the trip odometer reset by itself. And this board is very helpful as to learn about problems as well as others experience. The only upset I got was learn about unavailable of night vision. Hey, can't have everything.
    I also owned a 99 Toyota Camry. Most of the people will say Toyota has high quality and reliable. I didn't experienced major problem, but I do have a lots of minor issues which to me it should not happened, such as the plastic wood dash keep popping out. Dealer replaced several times. And I finally tired of going back for that. The Overdrive switch in the shift gear broken and popped out. The driver's side window broken, and could not go up. Warranty did not cover and had to paid to fix it. But after that, the window was slightly shift forward, driving down freeway will hear all the wind noise, and rain get in. When bring it back to dealer, they demand $100 just to take a look. So my conclusion to Toyota with all this bad experience was I never buy a Toyota again. However, others may still believe Toyota has the highest quality.
    So to me, it is case by case, and how often will it happen.
    By the way, the DVD rear entertainment system is available, but just the roof-mount monitor, not the headrest mount monitor. Dealer going to install for this weekend. Can't wait.
  • Options
    1sttimevolvo1- I am still planning to purchase the XC90 because it still meets our needs the best and I really like the vehicle. However, I would still like to have as many of the problems fixed before taking delivery. I am hoping my owner experience will be as positive as yours! If I have problems, I will deal with them as they come under the warranty.
  • Options
    Would like an expert to tell me how the new BMW X3 "X-Drive" stacks up to the XC90 AWD.
  • Options
    rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    I'm no expert on X-Drive yet. I suggest you go out and drive them both hard in some wet stuff. In practice I don't think there will be much difference. As I recall both systems distribute power front to back and side to side so as long as they do their jobs as advertised I would be surprised to find an appreciable difference (the X3 should be lighter and more tossable given its smaller size for what its worth.)

I've stopped by the local dealer and looked at the X3 but had NO desire to drive the homely thing (the front end plastic work needs to be redesigned.) I'll have to find time over the next week to get some real seat time with it though.

Thanks.

-rollie
  • Options
    Thanks rollie. Looking forward to your "real seat time" experience next week. amiret
  • Options
    aaaedgarpoeaaaedgarpoe Member Posts: 107
    The news is out: the XC90 is just one of many SUVs when it comes to roll-over tendency; it gets just 4 srars:

Static Stability Factor Dynamic Test
    1.21 No-tip

At: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/2634.html

And only the XC90 has a 4-star for passenger frontal safety.

Might as well get an S80: 5 start ratings all the way around.

You'll get better mileage with as S-80:
    18 mpg city/26 mpg highway.

The XC90: 15 mpg city/
    20 mpg highway, only weights 1200 lbs less than the XV90.
  • Options
    The news is out: the XC90 is just one of many SUVs when it comes to roll-over tendency; it gets just 4 srars:

Only four stars?? Pretty darn good considering only half the SUV field that has been rated received 4 stars (9 of 18).

Might as well get an S80: 5 start ratings all the way around.
    You'll get better mileage with as S-80:
    18 mpg city/26 mpg highway.

Apples to Oranges. Fine if your looking for a sedan.

The XC90: 15 mpg city/
    20 mpg highway, only weights 1200 lbs less than the XV90.

????? What's an XV90? Haven't heard of that animal.
  • Options
    I had neglected to add the window problem as well to the analysis.

Today, the washing system for the lights went out. Also, the transmission shifts funny between 1 & 2nd gear when cold. Coincidence? Since, delivery this vehicle has suffered 8 defects (compared to the industry avg. of 1.67 defects/vehicle). Am I alone? Check out J.D. Power:

J.D. Power and Associates Reports:
    While Japanese-Branded Vehicles Continue to Lead in
    Long-Term Quality, the Domestics Outpace Europeans
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: July 8, 2003
    "...deteriorating more rapidly than the average vehicle are Audi and Volvo."

J.D. Power's gives the XC-90 2 stars (out of 5) for Mechanical, Body & Interior, and Overall quality.

Do the research - don't make the same mistake I made.
  • Options
    J.D. Power and Associates Reports:
    While Japanese-Branded Vehicles Continue to Lead in
    Long-Term Quality, the Domestics Outpace Europeans
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: July 8, 2003
    "...deteriorating more rapidly than the average vehicle are Audi and Volvo."

I truly sympathize with your problem, as I bought a new Mercury Sable years ago based on research, and that research had glowing praise for the Sable, but I got the one that had numerous warranty issues the first 3-6 months of ownership - in the shop several times with it.
    When it eventually got fixed, it was a very good car.

The J.D. Power article from July 8th will likely be based on info primarily from the `03 models. As you know, 2003 was the first model year for th XC90. Check www.NHTSA.gov Typically, first year vehicles have more proportionally more complaints logged than do succesive model years.

With so much trouble from your vehicle, once it is repaired to your satisfaction, you should sell it and buy something you like.

But, I forgot, your not trying to discourage anyone.
  • Options
    wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    I doubt it. It takes a lot more than one test to assess safety.

Here's how other vehicles fared that were tested under the new NHTSA rollover rating:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/nhtsa/announce/press/pressdisplay.cfm?ye- - ar=2004&filename=pr03-04.html

If you want to see outstanding crash test results for the XC90, see:

http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/summary_midluxsuv.htm

Where the XC90 tops every vehicle in its class, using the IIHS offset frontal crash test (which is more real-world than the NHTSA full-frontal test).

Also see:

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_ratings/ratings.php?id1=9

Where the European tests have the XC90 on top of all tested vehicles in the class (while the X5 is also five stars, it's overall point score is lower than the Volvo's).

Regarding comparing the S80 in terms of safety -- no doubt the S80 is a very safe vehicle and has some sedan handling dynamics that are favorable. However, consider that an XC90 can weigh 1,200 pounds more. Thus its crash results aren't directly comparable with an S80's. If anything, the 1,200 pound weight advantage means that the equivalent rating favors the XC90 (in terms of being able to protect its passengers, though obviously it can inflict more damage in a crash to other vehicles).