Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 SUV

Comments

• rsh6rsh6 Member Posts: 7
    Just bought a pre-owned '04 XC90 2.5 FWD. The warranty is up at the end of the month. Any recommendation on whether to purchase the extended warranty from Volvo.

Thanks!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,923
    For a FWD 2.5T, in my opinion, no.
    Without AWD, you won't have the somewhat common angle gear problems, and with the 2.5T, you won't have the transmission problems that the T6 folks do.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Thanks qbrozen.

My '04 2.5 FWD XC90 has 35k miles. The dealer quoted the following prices for extended warranties:

5yr/50k (so essenitally 1yr/15k) = $1674 (no deductible); $1545 ($100 deductible); $1483 ($200 deductible)

6yr/72k (so essenitally 2yr/37k) = $1950 (no deductible); $1736 ($100 deductible); $1642 ($200 deductible)

7yr/100k (so essenitally 3yr/65k) = $2457 (no deductible); $2198 ($100 deductible); $2081($200 deductible)

5yr/50k (so essenitally 3yr/15k) = $2120 (no deductible); $1858 ($100 deductible); $1743 ($200 deductible)
    5yr/50k (so essenitally 3yr/65k) = $1674 (no deductible); $1545 ($100 deductible); $1483 ($200 deductible)
    Let me correct that:

5yr/50k (so essenitally 1yr/15k) = $1674 (no deductible); $1545 ($100 deductible); $1483 ($200 deductible)

6yr/72k (so essenitally 2yr/37k) = $1950 (no deductible); $1736 ($100 deductible); $1642 ($200 deductible)

7yr/100k (so essenitally 3yr/65k) = $2457 (no deductible); $2198 ($100 deductible); $2081($200 deductible)
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    if you've got $2k to spend on an extended warranty, put it in a CD or short-term-fund or mattress and don't touch it except for a possible car mega-repair. If you're lucky you can later use it as downpayment on the 2013 Volvo Yak Hybrid, part animal, part electric, extremely safe, zero fossil-fuels:">
    How do i get into the racket of selling extended warranties, anyway?
  • simbany1simbany1 Member Posts: 11
    I'm currently looking for a replacement for our 2005 Honda Odyssey. We love the Honda and it has been so convenient to have, but we think we are ready to move to an SUV. Also, I'd like to have an SUV for business purposes when I'm driving clients around. Our kids are 5 and we have 3 year old twins. My main concern is the seating configuration in the XC90. In the Odyssey we have our 5 year old in a booster in the 3rd row seat and the twins are in Britax car seats in the captain's chairs. Besides the power sliding doors being such a convenience, having the pass through in the 2nd row makes it easy for our oldest to get to the back. That's why I've been looking at the Acadia and it is still definitely in the running. It has the captain chair option, and the interior configuration is, more or less, very similar to a minivan layout.

My wife and I really love the styling and safety of the XC90 and would love to trade in our Odyssey for it. Our biggest concern is the seating configuration and third row access. With the car seats on both sides in the 2nd row, we wouldn't be able to fold it down to allow our oldest to get to the back. She would have to climb over the middle seat (after being folded down) each time...is that the only option with our current seating configuration? Putting the twins in the back is not something we would be interested in, since we'd like to utilize the 50/50 split folding seat if we need the extra cargo space.

Any ideas?? That booster seat in the middle can't be removed correct? This would allow our oldest to get to the back like in our minivan.

Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks!!!
  • bryangmdbryangmd Member Posts: 27
    You are aware of one of a XC90's issue already. We have only one child and he is in a giant Britax car seat in the middle of the second row. To get people in the third row, I pretty much have to undo one side or the car seat to provide the third row access. And that access is still limited. What we were doing with my nephew was putting up only one of the third row seats and letting him enter through the back lift gate. I love my XC90 but am coming to the realization that we will need a different car when we have more children. My son is 18 months old and kicks the back of my and my wife's seat while I am driving because there really isn't a lot of room. I am sure others will write how they have all 4 of their kids in it daily. I just don't know how, and I would certainly think without car seats.
    Thanks for the response! I just don't understand why they wouldn't allow the center booster seat to be removable. I guess I will have to research the Acadia a bit more. I can't think of many other suv's/crossovers that offer 2nd row captain chairs. I looked at the Nissan Armada, but that seems to be too much 'suv' for us. Even looked at the Escalade just for fun, but with the 3rd row seats up, there is absolutely no cargo space.
    Most SUVs are configured this way (where you have to fold part of the 2nd row to gain access to the 3rd). It is why they aren't good choices for folks with 2 or more kids in carseats.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• fluid15fluid15 Member Posts: 60
    You are considering moving from one type of vehicle (Minivan) to another (SUV) - what are the attributes you need in the SUV that the Minivan doesn't provide? You did mention driving clients around, do you need the all wheel drive and offroad capability a higher/SUV will provide to show undeveloped land, etc?

If you list out the attributes you need vs. what you don't have today, we - as owners - can give you some valuable feedback regarding how the XC90 fulfills your criteria.
  • jfn1000jfn1000 Member Posts: 40
    My wife and I own an Odyssey and a 4Runner (with 3rd row option and also have three children aged 3-8. Before buying any SUV, I would try to spend extended time with that model in real world usage. We have the 4runner to tow a boat on weekends, and therefore frequently have all 3 children travelling in that suv. While the kids love to sit in the 3rd row, to my wife and I it is nothing but a nuisance. We both feel the sliding doors of the minivan are much more flexible, safer and simpler for the kids to get in and out. The style points for an SUV are just not worth it, imho.
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    The reasons you are stating are exactly why I am staying with our 2004 Sienna. The seating configuration really makes it difficult to go with anything else. Once our kids get older and they can get out of car seats or booster seats, we probably will move to a wagon.
    Don't get me wrong, our Odyssey is the most convenient thing to have with a 5 year old and 3 year old twins. The sliding doors are great, the captain chairs (where I have the twins in Britax seats) with the pass through to the 3rd row is very convenient for my 5 year old. It's simply the image of a minivan. I'm trying not to sound shallow or whatever, but I would prefer to be driving a vehicle other then a minivan when I'm bringing my clients around to view properties. In the business of residential/commercial real estate, image is a factor especially on the commercial side. But I would also need to use the suv to carry my kids in as well, so it needs to be multi-functional - car for the family as well as a car for business. So I'm looking for an alternative to our Odyssey that has good looks, flexible seating configuration and can be used for our primary family car.

I'm definitely considering the GMC Acadia, since the interior seat configuration is almost exactly the same as my Odyssey, less the head room, but it looks like it has everything I'm looking for. Of course I'll lose the sliding doors, but since it has the captain's chairs and the pass through, it should work out perfectly. The XC90 is our first choice, but I don't think that it has the seating flexibility we're looking for.
    Based on what you've described, it sounds like you're in a tough position as far as finding a good vehicle to meet both needs. I understand what you mean about image/clients - it may sound shallow to some people but that's just reality, and in business perception is reality. We only have one child at the moment so the XC90 works out fine for us. If I had 3 like you, I don't know if I the Volvo would meet our needs anymore. I'll have to check out that Acadia, I'm not familiar with it. I was hoping to add a sportscar to our garage next year but with the current economic conditions I'm beginning to get more and more conservative with frivolous spending.
    So I think the XC90 maybe out of the picture and I will continue to do some more research on the Acadia. Have been reading about people having problems with it but I think that owners are overall satisfied with it. You should definitely check out the Acadia. I love the exterior, but I wish they could make the interior a little more upscale, rather then use the cheap looking fake metal stuff. There I go again, being shallow...;)

Would love a sports car or even a coupe. Love the new Accord coupe as well as the 335xi coupe, but it just wouldn't be practical right now. We just leased a 2008 Passat and we love it. It's our compromise between getting something fun to drive while still being responsible...we've had 3 VW's in the past (2 Jettas and 1 Passat wagon) and we loved them all.
  • notthereyetnotthereyet Member Posts: 6
    S1, We have both the '07 XC90 and the '06 Odyssey. Same number and age kids. ;) What I hope I may provide (for the pro-Volvo aficionadios) and to previous posts is that our center second row seatback folds down to the seat bottom surface. Our seat is the built-in booster with 40/20/40 split. Small kids car seats are in the "40" portion "permanently". We slide the front passenger (power) seat forward and the older one enters passenger side and climbs over the folded seat. Older one prefers to either climb through the rear hatch to third row or sit in the second row booster displaying dominace over younger (yes) twin siblings. This works for us because the second parent is absent in this formula. In messy shoe conditions -winter/muddy park/day at the beach- we use towels to protect surfaces. Mostly,when we are five, we use the Odyssey with split captains chairs and oldest in the third row for many of the previous-post stated reasons.

I can't answer the booster seat question, but in our research (which is one year dated by now and so is my memory) not one Volvo rep would officially recommend children in the third row for consideration of safety of the kids. They (sales, corp reps, marketers) officially want the kids in the center zone with the most protection. They would suggest small adults for third row and -at that time- sales people would point out the distance between the back window and the 3rd row headrest of an xc90 was significantly greater than competitors (the rear crumple zone).

Others have more up to date info, but your business focus ...my two cents: Acadia very stylish, I have never been inside. Tahoe comes with captains chairs - may be in hybrid form? Escalade Hybrid with Captains? could be pricey in the future. Doesn't one of the new MB models have captains chairs? If the captains chairs don't separate the little ones enough, install a roof rack. :shades:
  • volgirlvolgirl Member Posts: 7
    for your 2009 models the bluetooth will come standard on the cars and it will be integrated! Finally!
  • volgirlvolgirl Member Posts: 7
    That is incorrect the xc90 was built for the 3rd row seat, you are just as safe in the 3rd row as you are in second row, 1.) you have the seats mounted to the frame of the car, 2.) you have a footwell so their legs arnt in their chest 3.) the distance from the headrest to the glass is greater than our competitors. 4.) the seats are placed right above the axle for safety. 5.) You have the cutain airbags that go back to the 3rd row seat. 6.) There are pre-tensioners for all of the seats in the vehicle. 7.) The 3rd row seats are placed a little higher than the second row so that the children have a view outside to prevent car sickness. Pretty smart huh? 8.)You have A/C for the 3rd row, plenty of starage, and the optional dual DVD system in the headrests. Now what other SUV or Minivan can even compare with this awesome car? None. This 3rd row seat -and i quote from my volvo product knowledge rep- "is built for children not adults" The configuration of the seats is done for versatility this allows us to have the most cargo capacity out of all of our competitors even though the xc90 is smaller than some. However you have to manage the kids climbing inside the car-make it work because it will definitly be worth it when all of your kids survive a deadly accident. And no the booster is not removable (at least they even offer an integrated booster seat as where nobody else does-what more could you ask for?)
  • peetertpeetert Member Posts: 124
    We've narrowed down our choices for our next family vehicle and are down to 2. a Pre-owned (2005 vintage) XC90 or a new/1yoTaurus X (both w/ AWD). We drove both over the weekend and came close to purchasing a fully loaded '05 T6, but I felt uncomfortable with it being a T6, and they wouldn't come down enough in price to make it worthwhile. Our other choice, the Taurus X seems to have all the features we're looking for at a much lower price(~4k difference). We see this vehicle as the primary family mover for the next 5 - 6 years for us and our 3 growing children (11, 8, 3).

For Safety, they both seem on par with each other ( TX borrows alot of the Volvo safety features, right?) Storage, I think the TX has a slight edge for cargo room. Fit and finish, Volvo all the way, though the interior of the '05 we tested had seen better days. Gas mIleage, slight edge to TX and the fact it uses regular gas seems a plus. Longevity - no data on the TX so I can't really compare.

So, my wife asked me as we left the Volvo Dealer, "Tell me why we should spend more to buy an older XC90 over the Taurus X". I could not think of a good compelling argument.

Peeter
    ps I am a past and current Volvo Owner (DL, 740GL, S70)
    Well, if you drove both back to back and don't see/feel/hear the benefits of the more expensive brand, then there is no reason I can give to justify the volvo.

• volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    For Safety, they both seem on par with each other ( TX borrows alot of the Volvo safety features, right?)

Actually, they aren't even close.
    XC90 has been an IIHS Top Safety Pick since day 1.
    Go to the IIHS website an look at the side impact test
    The Taurus doesn't have the WHIPS seats, or the Side Impact protection system(which is a lot more than just side airbags). It lacks the Volvo's extensive Boron Steel re-inforcements.
    Frankly, the 2 cars have ZERO in common.
    I don't care what spin the Ford sales reps use.

As for gas mileage, EPA basically rates both cars the same.
    BTW, you CAN use regular unleaded in the Volvo.
    It lacks the Volvo's extensive Boron Steel re-inforcements.

I think that's a great point.
    If, by some off chance, I gotta be in a rollover, I'd rather be in the volvo!

• thas9469thas9469 Member Posts: 7
    Don't buy the Volvo!!!!! Once again - Don't buy the Volvo. The only way that you could make a smart choice is to have a 100,000 mile warranty on the T6. They have had so many transmission problems. Mine had 75,000 on it when it went and volvo didn't care a bit - sorry over warranty. This is quite common in the T6, actually XC models. If you do buy the Volvo - jeep a posting of how many times you take it back to the shop. Good luck.
    This is quite common in the T6, actually XC models.

First part = correct.
    Second part = incorrect.

After seeing the error of my ways (thanks Volvomax an gbrozen) we've decided to go for the XC90. Though we planned to wait until Sept., I think we may end up buyng now so we can go on vacation w/ the new car. :shades:

I've been looking online and have been keeping my eye on a few candidates at the dealer where we've bought our previous 2 volvos. I had resolved the fact that based on what we were looking to spend, a 2005 is what our budget will allow, BUT, the dealer's website has the following special.

Model Year End Event 2008 Volvo XC90 3.2AWD
    $389
    per month w/
    $2299
    down at signing.

Model Year End Lease Special!
    36 month 12000 miles per year
    STK# MV80449, MSRP $44725, 7 Passenger, Leather, Moon Roof, Headed Seats, 6cd-indash
    *Additional savings for current Volvo onwer.(sic)

Pricings are plus tax,bankfee,mvfee,docfee,njtirefee and subject to primary lender with tier 1 approval.Offer ends 7/31/08

based on the MSRP, it looks like it has the premium, versitility, and Climate pkg only.

Now, this is already getting in line with financing a '05. This seems to be different than the Sign and Drive Volvo is advertising for 499 a mo.

What to to?? :confuse:

I know this is a lease instead of a purchase. I have already looked at leases and have been keeping that option open. I also have the X plan so I have to play with those numbers a bit.

The other option is an '05 they have on the lot. I've been keeping my eye on it since they listed it. It has everything but the DVD that I'm looking for. It's a lease returned that they've had since May. It's an '05 with Prem, Vers, Conv & climate with 29k miles. They're asking 27k.

Gbrozen, I know you said these were going for around 21k at auction, but that was a month and probably $1 a gallon ago. TMV shows 20,6 for trade and 24,1 for Retail.

What would be a good $$ to take this '05 home?

Thanks

Peeter
    Is that a 2.5T?
    And I believe you are in my neck of the woods, correct?

If yes to both, its worth between 20-21 on a trade. Galves says $20,725 TOPS as a trade (that means its perfect). Is this CPO? For CPO, I personally wouldn't go over $25k, and even that would be pushing it. For non-CPO, $23k is more than enough.

After everything is added into that lease deal, you are probably looking at a lower payment for a 5-year note on the '05.

Yes to both. We used to live alot closer to this dealer, but now about 25 miles west. My in-laws, however, live right across town from them.

It's not listed as a CPO, but for the extra $$ they should CPO it (They did it for my S70). Still debating spending the extra for that or just saving the money and using the local guy I found since we moved. They are good and reasonably priced.

Your pricing is right in line with my thinking (I was shooting for signing at 22.5).

Thanks for all your help.
    '05's in AZ & Southern Cal are going for $19-21k with 35-50k miles, non-CPO. I had been looking for one with AWD and 3rd row seating and that seems to be the asking price if you do some web searches (Autotrader.com, cars.com, etc). I decided to pursue an Audi Wagon instead because I want something a bit more sporty to drive (manual transmission) and don't use the 3rd row much on our XC90 Lease. But for an '05 you can definitely buy one for around $20k.

This info is for reference. Good luck with your search.
    Interesting. You could probably make some $$ buying them up and shipping them to the northeast. :)
    Volvos have always been much more popular up here, from what I've heard.

Although, you are talking about ones with more miles.

• slee4slee4 Member Posts: 2
    My xc90 is 2007, 15500mi. need 2nd service. Is it free for the 2nd service or do I have to pay? The dealer told me over the phone that 1st is free, but 2nd will be charged $400. Any idea?
    It's true 7500 is free, I was caight offguard as well. I was used to the free mainenance with my Mercedes. They will fix things under warranty, but you paiy for the mainenance.
  • willx45xwillx45x Member Posts: 7
    Hi all! Need some quick feedback on a deal I'm working on for a 2005 XC90. This is the V8, AWD model with 36k miles. It has premium package, DVD, NAV and is a certified pre-owned Volvo. They had it listed for $32,900 and I've worked them down to $27,900. I think there is more room left. Any feedback? Car is a one-owner and appears to be in very good condition. It was purchased at auction.

Thanks very much! Any thoughts are definitely appreciated. I've heard good things about the Yamaha V8 in the 2005 model.

w
    I have a 07 V8 and it rides great. In my opinion, those prices are close to what Edmunds suggests. Which means you can go lower in my opinion. SUV's aren't flying off the lot, especially a V8. I bought mine over 7K under sticker new. I would email all the dealers in a tri state area and ask them what they want to get rid of. These days they are happy to get people through the door. But I like to play all or nothing with dealers. Good luck.
    Don't do it. I was told by the assistant to the president of volvo that if a volvo comes from an auction, it is a fixer upper. My XC90 T6 was a complete lemon and volvo did nothing about it. I would now buy anything else but a volvo. I wish someone had told me of all the problems before I bought mine. Good luck.
    Very displeased ex volvo owner
    Good point, why was it in an auction to begin with? I am happy with my 07. I would look around. Use the internet to contact many dealers.
    Don't do it. I was told by the assistant to the president of volvo that if a volvo comes from an auction, it is a fixer upper.

Sorry, got to call shenannigans on this one.
    99% of all Volvo's at the various auctions are either a) rental returns, so they are a year or so old or b) lease returns, the majority of which are under warranty.
    Anybody who actually works for Volvo would know this.
    I'm with vmax. That story is absurd.
    Sooo... someone freaks out about gas prices and trades their XC90 for a Prius. Toyota dealer doesn't want a volvo SUV on their lot, so they send it to auction. Right now, this is probably happening 10 times a day every day (ok, maybe no ALL volvos). You mean to tell me you truly believe every one of those is a "fixer upper"? Think about it. Really.

Volvomax - any thoughts on my deal? Really need some feedback, as I plan to buy tomorrow morning. Edmunds says $29k and change, so I'm not sure what to think.

w
    He responded to your post on the Real-World Trade-in Values board.
    He says you probably have a grand or 2 still on the table.

I think its even more, personally. That is apparently an $18k truck at trade-in time right now. So, if it were me, even for CPO, $23k would be the end of the world.

Even if the dealer has been sitting on it for a couple of months and paid $20k for it before their values dipped in the past couple of weeks, $25k is more than enough. But then why pay that? Just wait for another one and take advantage of the extra depreciation they've suffered recently.

Where are you able to tell what the true trade-in on the vehicle is? 18k seems a little low, given the fact that I was recently offered 13k for our 2005 base model Camry. I think you're right about there being some more room, perhaps even down close to 25k. $23k doesn't seem realistic. Do you have access to some numbers I don't?

w
    I finally got to go look at the XC90 I had my eye on last night. They were pretty unwilling to budge on the price, but they called me back and increased the value of my trade. We talked a bit about the recent drop in auction value, but told me they couldn't do much on the one I was interested in. He did try to steer me to an '03 2.5T they had w/ low miles (41k) that was priced decently. I'm still considering that, but am not sure I really want to go back to an '03 :confuse:

The one I looked at ended up not having the rear sensors ( though they were listed on the website) so I'm not totally married to it. It drove nice,but there are a few small issues I would like taken care. They had actually dropped the price by 1k yesterday, but the salesman was unaware of the price drop. In fact, the sheet the person showed me had prices about 1k higher than listed on their website for all the cars.

I then went to look at another non-volvo dealer at an '05 V8 they had just gotten in. They couldn't find the keys and it hadn't been cleaned up yet so I'll have to go back. It looked a little rough, but we'll see how they clean it up. Needs new tires and was missing a cover piece off of the roof rack. Unfortunately while there, we tested an MDX. It drove real nice and had a lot more bells and whistles than the Volvo.

gbrozen/Volvomax, What's your opinion of the '03. I didn't drive it yet, but it looks very clean. Any issues I should concern myself with for a first model year car? CPO on this would be worthless as its nearing the 6 yr mark. The odd thing I noticed is that the mpg listing for the '03 is higher than the '05.

Thanks
    Do you have access to some numbers I don't?

Yes.

Also, about 2 months ago, we bought an '05 XC90 2.5T AWD premium/climate with only 23k miles for my wife. Paid $22k. The V8 adds no value, believe it or not (really not tough to believe in this market). Yours does have a couple of more options, but the higher miles offset it. PLUS, since we bought ours, the values tanked another $2k, according to a recent discussion with Volvomax on the RWTIV board.

We got a good deal at $22k at the time. Even at $500 more, it would have been fair. SOOOOO.... do the math and that brings a current fair price to $20,500 .... BUT that's for non-CPO. Volvo's CPO program, as I understand it, is quite pricey. If you wanted to buy the extended warranty, you are looking at well over $2k. So add that to the mix and that is how I arrived at my $23k number.

Hmmmm.... well just how decent was this price?

I have NO idea why the mileage listed is higher. Same powertrain, similar weight. Huh. Weird. I would tend to doubt the real-world experience would show this difference.

Honestly, I haven't researched if the '03 had any reliability problems that were ironed out in later years. I don't remember reading of any such issues, but can't say for sure one way or another. Vmax may know better.

the '03 is listed on their website at just under 17k miles are at 41,2. It's got a clean carfax listed as a personal vehicle (not a lease). Lthr, sunroof, 7-pass, heated seats, rev. sensors, power pass.

I wonder if the tires size would be a factor in the mpg. The '03 has 16" while the '05 has 17".

One thing I did notice was about 5-6 '05's with stickers on then noting they were not for sale yet and to see a salesman about the release date. I asked and was told they were lease returns. Wonder if these will offer better prices?

I'm afraid of getting beaten down by you and v-max again like I did with the T-X questioning, but I've been reaseaching the MDX's this morning and those seem like a good buy. The one's nearby are all CPO with comparable mileage to the XC90's, but listed at least 2K lower in price.

Decisions, Decisions :confuse:
    The MDX is a nice car, and it has a lot of toys.
    But, it can't hold a candle to the XC90 in terms of safety.
    So, what's most important to you?
    Do not buy the 2003 XC90 2.5T. I had one of these - ask if the transmission has been replaced. This is one of their biggist problems. I bought mine in 2007 and within 1 year I had put over $6,000 into it, including the transmission at 75,000 miles and volvo did nothing to back it. The XC90's are junk especially the early models. If you need proof, just read through some of these blogs. I bought the vehicle for 21,000 and I traded it in for 13,000 1 year later with a new transmission because auction price is all they go by and they do not sell at auction because of all the problems. Please beware, don't get screwed as I did by the all wonderful Volvo (ha-ha). Buy another make - like Toyota - remember Volvo is owned by Ford and that is the parts that are in them, save your money - buy the Ford.
    OK. We've been over this.
    You DID NOT have a 2.5T!
    You had a T6!
    BIIIGGGGG difference!
    The T6 used a GM POS tranny.
    If you are going to keep chiming in with only negative things, at least have your details straight.

And after that comment about an assistant to the president of Volvo and now you saying you had a 2.5T rather than the T6, as you previously claimed .... well, I'll just leave the conclusions up to the reader.

I won't beat you down for an MDX. Not at all.
    I beat you down for a Ford. ;P

We had a Pilot and loved it. But it really does feel like a tin can when we drove it back to back with the Volvo. I've never driven an MDX, however. I'm shocked to hear they are cheaper. But is that just a cheaper ASKING price than the volvos? Make sure you compare final purchase prices. As you've learned, Volvo dealers tend to mark up their vehicles much further than Honda/Acura dealers. Not sure of all the behind-the-scenes reasoning. Maybe Honda/Acura buyers don't dicker as much as volvo buyers, so no need to mark them up so high (?).

Thanks, The MDX seemed to have a lot of Pep compared to the Volvo. The 265 hp V-6 helps.

They are both pretty close, that's where the issue is. I've got a good idea on the Volvo prices and the fact he might not come down as much as I'd like so for argument's sake, lets say 22,5 (what you paid for your 5 seater and what I'd be wiling to pay for this one) for an '05 AWD XC 90 7 seater w/ ver, Prem, climate w/ 29 k miles, No CPO. Figure CPO will bring that up to 23,7.

Here's one of my MDX choices. '05 Touring ( same options as Volvo plus w/ reverse camera, DVD, XM radio, Bluetooth), 24k miles and its a CPO (7yr,100k) listed at 24,9. Now I figure I'm probably not going to get much lower than this, but even so, its a good price. And finally, Acura has special financing on CPO MDX's (2.9% up to 60mos). Beats my preapproved rate. The salesman was going to get back to me with prices of the ones they have so we'll see if they are any better than the web.

The '03 is still in the back of my mind as well. VoloMax anything on the '03s I should be wary of?

Thanks
    CPO adds much more than $1200 to the volvo, BTW. As I said above, my understanding is that the extended warranty alone is over $2k. At least, that's how it is if you bought an XC90 from a non-Volvo dealer and wanted to purchase the warranty.

A Honda extended warranty is MUCH cheaper. We paid ~$900 for a 100k warranty on our Pilot.