Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Aviator

Comments

• terrytterryt Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 Aviator has the light gray interior and my neat trick is I put the floor mats in my washing machine, add Tide, let them wash just as if they were old towels, put them out on the patio table in the sun to dry and they are absolutely like brand new again. Works like a charm. Been doing it for two years now. They are absolutely clean as a whistle.
  • mikejhvacnvmikejhvacnv Member Posts: 7
    My 2003 seats are having hairline cracks develop, is anyone else having problem? I have used Meguires cleaner and condtioner. Cracks are in left seat area on driver side.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    My friend's 03 Aviator's front seats, both of them, are doing the same thing, and showing quite a bit of wear actually. I'm shocked at them, he hasn't noticed it actually. He doesn't pamper the car, and actually is pretty hard on them. Lots of kid traffic in and out of it, but I was amazed. It should hold up better than that.
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    There's some leather's (commonly found on the higher end Explorers), which ages just like that. This goes back to even the Mark8 I had many years ago. This same leather is used by some other manufacturer's as well, it's supposed to have some lived in, library, crackle, antique look to it.

I only saw the leather on my car once, before the seat covers got installed. So I'm not sure how it's aged so far.
    This is only on the outside panel of the seats, it's a wierd wear pattern and it looks like it's wearing out to me, but it's not my car, so I don't bring it up.
  • jacqueusijacqueusi Member Posts: 55
    I'm close to buying a 2003 Lincoln Aviator. What's been holding me back is the towing package. I was under the impression that if you ordered the Class III that not only included a Class III hitch, but a different rear end ratio. Is that correct, or can I simply replace the standard Aviator Class II with my choice of Class III and be able to tow the max. 7,300 lbs?

Thanks in advance!
  • mongo1mongo1 Member Posts: 49
    Greetings Jacqueusi, may this find you well. I was in a similar scenario during my search for a reasonably sized SUV type vehicle that could tow a moderate load in luxury. We bought the Aviator, love it, and never looked back. Short answer to your questions: Yes, you can have the Class II hitch upgraded at the dealer for a Class III, they did it with mine. No, you will lose some of your tow capacity if the vehicle came stock with the numerically lower (ratio number) rear axle. I believe the original 7300 lb number required a 3.73:1 ratio standard with AWD. I also believe the 4X2 came equipped with a 3.51:1. Later, the Class III became an option with the higher ratio 4X2, but if memory serves correctly, the towing capacity dropped to 6800 Lbs. I have had no problems towing a 5200 Lb.(wet)travel trailer with mine. But for safety sake, wouldn't haul any thing heavier. Hope this helps.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    funny you should ask the towing question.

just happened to be looking at some aviators last week, and the ones with the towing package had a 13/17 epa sticker vs 13/18 for the ones without.

usually the 4x2 version has the higher towing capacity beacuase of the addtional weight of the 4x4(awd) hardware.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    The towing package (according to the vehicle of course) will usually post a lower EPA estimate since the numerically higher drive ratio hurts it a bit. The higher the axle drive ratio, the quicker it jumps off the line (since the wheels are turning faster on the axle/ratio), but hurts fuel estimates at the higher end.

ON the opposite spectrum, if you notice some of GM's midsize car, their EPA's can reach 29/32MPG on the highway. This because their axle ratios are much lower (sometimes in the 2: 's). The negative impact is, the car feel sluggish if asked to downshift for more power, at higher speeds.
    I'm grateful for all the comments my question has brought up! Please tell me if I'm wrong, but I thought the 4.71 gearing was reserved for the AWD models and 4.55 for the 4X2. Strangely enough, the 2005 models only come with 4.71 from what I've seen from the website, and towing capacity drops down to 7,100 lbs. Still plenty for me as my Crowline + trailer + misc. comes out to be approx. 5,800 lbs. It's nice to have the extra capacity. Also, I do believe the 4X2 models have a higher towing capacity due to extra weight carried by the AWD models.
    Greetings Jacqueusi, may this find you well. I am a bit puzzled about your comments regarding the 2005 models. Your original post requested information on the 2003 year. And you are quite correct in that Lincoln seemed to have a split personality when it came to tow capacities that year. You are correct in stating that AWD had the 7100 Lb. tow cap. But as an option for that year, and partially for 2004, you could get the optional 3.73:1 rear axle in the 4X2 which would give you 7300 lbs. tow capacity with the Class III hitch added. For some reason, and I suspect it had to do with the rear axle problems Lincoln was experiencing with these vehicles, Lincoln stopped offering this option towards the end of 2003 and only reinstated the Class III hitch option in March of 2004, with a slightly lower tow cap. leaving the AWD as the only vehicle rated to tow above 7000 lbs. In 2005, I understand the Class III hitch is not an option for the 4X2. I'm not clear as to where you get the 4.71 and 4.55 numbers as those would be "stump puller" gears and I've not seen anything like them on the Lincoln site. BTW, something that is not in the Lincoln manual, but shows up in the Explorer/Mountaineer manual is that these vehicles should not tow anything that has a frontal area greater than 50 square feet due to wind loading and it's effect on vehicle stability. If you plan to haul a travel trailer, this will limit your choices somewhat. Also, it is recommended that tongue weights 10-15% should have a weight distribution hitch. I do hope this helps. For more info, try looking up RV forums on Google.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    I think he meant 3.71 and 3.55.
    Correction, 3.71 & 3.55. I'm in the market for a 2003 but used the 2005 as a reference as the driver train doesn't appear to have changed much. Hmm, now I have a bit more research to do on the whole towing issue. BTW, I plan on towing my 1994 Crownline 210 CCR and not a trailer thank goodness!

Once again, thank you all for some excellent replies.
    Ok, I just reread your post. The rear axle problems you are referring to, is it for the 3.71 or the 3.55 rear? Are these problems related to the rear-end whining noise I've read about? Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
    Good Morning jacqueusi, may this find you well. I'm not absolutely certain which axle ratio was plagued with this problem, perhaps someone much more knowledgable than me can answer that. I suspect it was the numerically lower axle, since the Class III option was suspended. Might I recommend reviewing the earlier threads in both this forum and the Aviator problems and solutions forum where this problem was discussed in depth?

Another avenue I would investigate is to talk with a Service MANAGER or technician at the local Lincoln dealer. I wouldn't bother with the salesman or Service Writer since the ones I conferred with could not "Confirm or Deny" a problem.;^) I am assuming that a Crowline 210 is a 21 foot boat.(I am somewhat nautically challenged, and I live in FLORIDA, go figure!) If this is the case and the entire rig doesn't exceed 25 or 26 feet and only weighs 5800 lbs or so, you should have no problem towing it with an Aviator. Boats are considerably more aerodynamic and usually lower in the center of gravity department. Again, I would recommend posting concerns on the Edmunds SUV towing forum, RV.net and RVUSA forums have a wealth of information regarding towing as well. Hope this helps.
    Jacqueusi, another issue that comes to mind regarding the 2003 models and the rear axle problem is that unless your are buying a CERTIFIED used car from a Lincoln dealer, I would STRONGLY suggest running a CARFAX on any Aviator of that vintage. Since my old business partner is a car dealer, I originally sought out a used 2003 model. Upon investigation of several vehicles in the auctions and on the 'net, I discovered, through CARFAX, that many of these vehicles were LEMON LAW returns. Several due to the rear axle problem. Caveat emptor. Good Luck.
    Thanks again mongo1. The axle whine I was referring to was in relation to research I had done in this thread among others. Just making sure you had not surfaced something that was not discussed before. To the best of my knowledge, I had assumed the axle problem was the whining noise that occurred with the 3.71 gearing. Also, my Crownline is 21 feet, correct! It was posted more as an FYI than a question as I currently tow it with a 1997 Ford Ranger 4X2 (4.0 liter, 3.55, LSD) with no issues besides braking!!!

I run CARFAX on every vehicle I plan on purchasing. Especially with the Aviators I'm concerned about the car being a returned Lemon. Thank you for the reminder though.

It's interesting to know you know of someone in the car business. One of my avenues was to buy one at auction. Wish me luck on my purchase! Hopefully this weekend.
    Jacqueusi, You are most certainly welcome. Sounds to me like you have the situation well in hand and are doing all the right things to insure a good buying experience. Best of luck in your purchase. A "new" Aviator will make a VERY nice Christmas present for someone! Enjoy!
    No I just have to find a bow big enough to put on top of the SUV!

Happy holidays everyone!
    My rear axle whine was with the 3.55 gears. I now have 20K miles and it has reoccurred but at a much lower volume which I can easily live with if it doesn't get worse. Wife couldn't even hear it.
  • tallship2tallship2 Member Posts: 9
    I, too had the rear axle whine on my 2003 RWD. I had the differential replaced last July at 7600 miles, and the noise was completly eliminated. As these vehicles have 50k mile warrantees, you should take yours back to the dealer to have the new V-670-H differential assembly put in at no charge to you.
  • o2brnot2bo2brnot2b Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for a midsized SUV and after driving a Toyota Sequoia, a GMC Denali and a Lincoln Navigator, I drove an Aviator and absolutely fell in love. I have been reading the Forums and am beginning to wonder if this will be a wise purchase after all. So many maintenance/repair items seem to repeat themselves. Anyone have any experience with the 2005 models? Thanks for any help.
  • hagahaga Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Aviator in July. I have over 10K on it and I still love it. I am taking it in for the tranny fluid upgrade tomorrow. I do experience the steering shudder, on occasion; I will mention the SB that was mentioned on a previous post and I think my dealer will take care of me on that. Other than that it has been problem free.

If you want an explorer sized vehicle but with power and luxury I don't think you can do much better for the price.

Good Luck,

Don
  • bcoulterbcoulter Member Posts: 6
    I purchased a 2005 Lincoln Aviator Dec 1st and really like it. My wife thinks it is one of the best vehicles we have owned. We also have a 2000 Lincoln LS which I still love to drive after 5 years of ownership. As for the Aviator, it is the right size, great performance and it offers all of the luxury items. It rides and handles like a luxury car.

As the 2005 is in the 3rd model year, I think any quality problems that may have been found in any previous model years would be corrected. Every make and model has some problems on first model year out. My 2000 LS had the same problems has other owners from these forums but were always well serviced and corrected by Lincoln. The Aviator in only 7 weeks old but I can not find anything that needs to be serviced or adjusted since taking delivery. The fit and finish is very good.

I think you will be very happy with your purchase.
  • marciz02marciz02 Member Posts: 11
    what was so special about this dealership?
  • lolaj42lolaj42 Member Posts: 420
    That's what I've been asking myself for the past 2 weeks.

This dealer is the newest Lincoln-Mercury dealer in the Phoenix metro area, located in North Scottsdale. It's owned and operated by the United Auto Group (mostly controlled by Roger Penske). In fact, the Penske Auto museum is located in the central place of the whole complex, which is EXTREMELY impressive. This dealership has to be seen to be believed . . . it's got to be one of the PREMEIRE dealerships in the country.

When I originally purchased my Aviator from them, I had spent the previous year getting to know many key people at the dealership (the Shop Foreman, the Service Manager at the top of my list). They were a top-shelf sort of place, with uncompromising customer service.

Unfortunately, those people are all gone now . . . in less than a 3-month period of time! I'm not at all impressed with the people that took their places, and the hooey that they're shoveling.
  • alex925alex925 Member Posts: 2
    Folks, very informative chats out there, I have learned alot about the Aviator. Now, my big question, should i pull the trigger on a New 2004 Aviator in Feb 2005? Here are the details: AWD, french silk, 3.73 axle ratio, bench seat, moon, navigation, dvd, thx sound, nav mirror??? whatever that means, dvd, list $52500, offered to me at $39,000. there is one available with the advantrac, anti-roll, but does not have the navigation, fyi. seems like a decent deal to me and am very close to pulling the trigger. Any thoughts out there? am i crazy? is it infact a good deal, ok deal, great deal, poor deal? i appreciate all and any feedback!
    Look up the invoice price (including destination) and subtract all available rebates. That is a good deal. Anything less is a great deal.
    .You don't already have it? Why aren't you burning gas?
  • joel2joel2 Member Posts: 15
    If you live in a cold weather climate don't buy an Aviator. There is a problem with the heating system. After the car warms to a set temp the system cycles to a point that sends cold air to the defogger vents. Results in cold air to the face of front seat driver and passanger. Many mentions of this in Lincoln Aviator Problems location on this web site. Dealer service mgr. agrees that it is a problem and doesn't understand why Ford is stone walling the issue. Am in process of Lemon Law process which will result in a buy back by Ford.
    otoh, some can figure out the difference between defrost and floor heat, and are willing to push a button, depending which they want.
    And that makes the automatic climate control worthless. Once you manually select something it goes into full manual mode.
    Pushing a few buttons does nothing to prevent cold air from being ejected from the side window defogger vents. They blow air regardless of what "buttons" are pushed. If anyone has any doubt that this is a very real cold weather climate problem all they have to do is a Forum search on this web site. Search Lincoln Aviator Problems!!
    but i admit i have never used it. my eb has dual front and aux rear climate controls. i have never had it blow cold air in my face. in fact, it won't blow any air until the air is a certain temperature. does yours work this way?
    No. Cold air is blown from defogger vents as soon as the car reaches set temp. This occurs wether on auto or any other setting. As you will find out if you review the 55+ mentions of this on the "Lincoln Aviator Problems" discussions on this web site many owners have complained to Ford about this problem. Ford is unable to correct the defect. Problem is pronounced when the outside air temp. is very low. My dealer service manager is embarrased that Ford is stonewalling the issue. He has had a number of complaints from customers. Has used a temperature guage on my Aviator and noted the problem.
    i read those posts before, but i guess my explorer just doesn't have that issue. coldest this year on the way to work was -10. my side windows have never fogged up due to the climate control. i do keep it in a garage, and point the nose west when outside to get all possible solar advantage. in the summer, i point the nose to the east.
    Interesting - you're the only other guy I know who parks according to seasons - I do the same....
    i learned that the hard way. l lived for 14 years in a house with a north facing driveway. the snow never melted. the guy across the street could wash his car, if it was sunny. i took that into consideration when i bought my next house, and when i park my car. :)
    As have I, however, I mostly park facing East, living in arrid or hot and humid climates, I need shade more than heat. But, we're boring people here. Sorry all......Just a couple of OCD people on a tangent......
    to stay 'ot', joel2 needs heat, like me!
    i love the avi's interior, and would like to buy one, but i like my explorer too, and am not sure it is worth the upgrade.
    there i a dealer near me that has 3 vivid red '04s.
    i don't know if i could get used to driving one of those.
    it took me years to get used to driving a convertible!
  • sgreismansgreisman Member Posts: 2
    I have a new Lincoln Aviator 2004. I am experiencing lower back pain while driving this SUV. I have tried purchasing Back Cushions from Relax the Back Store, etc., to no avail.
    Has anyone experienced any problems with with driver's seat in this car?
  • sgreismansgreisman Member Posts: 2
    I find that the front driver's seat on my Aviator is very uncomfortable and is causing back pain.
    If anyone else has also had back pain while driving their Aviator and has found a remedy can you please share it with me.
    I have that problem with almost all Chevy trucks, but never with my Fords...
  • jayviatorjayviator Member Posts: 36
    Just wondering if it's possible to get the radio in the car to display the name of the station and/or the song being played. If so, how do I change my preferences to get it to do this? I don't have navigation. Thx.
    That's the RDS feature. Check the owner's manual.
  • asemaasema Member Posts: 33
    Hi- I have a 2003 Aviator with a black front grill. Do you know if the Chrome Grill from the 2005 will fit on the 2003? I like the chrome look. I was at the dealer today, and i asked the folks in teh parts department, the service guys and the new car sales this question...none of them could answer that. they said to ask the body shop which I will do tomorrow I guess.
    thanks.
  • asemaasema Member Posts: 33
    Hi.
    how close to the 5000 mile intervals do you get your oil service done. My car has 26.5k miles, and was due for an oil change about 600 miles ago. those 600 miles the car drove pretty rough..sluggish. seems the truck is pretty sensitive to oil quality. Do you feel much difference in the ride quality if you haven't had the oil change done in time?
    You shouldn't tell any difference in driveability based on the age of the oil. You could probably go 10K miles with no adverse affects. If it's driving differently it's not the oil.

I go anywhere from 1000 miles early to 1000 miles late depending on when it's convenient.
    I had a Mustang I didn't change the oil for about 31K miles. Ironically the oil was in very good condition when I did get around to changing it. DON'T TRY this at home....

Try and keep current on your vehicles maintenence. Don't end up like some Toyota, VW, DCX owner's who inherited an oil sludge problem and their engines blew up, and have the company pin it on you for not being current on your maintenence.
    I wasn't advocating going 10K between changes - just trying to make the point that a few hundred miles extra wouldn't make any difference.

Stick with 5K changes.