Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Minivans - Domestic or Foreign

Comments

• dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    Toasters are about as exciting as Japanese cars, with equal numbers of checks and red circles in CR. Opps, we're talking minivans right?

I work for a major electronics supplier for autmotive. I see first hand the issue, you either lead or follow. The Europeans tend to lead and push the technology limits with their automobiles, the Japanese are like Michael Dell, make it more of a commodity item. I look at things like Active Steering/Suspensions, drive by wire, fiberoptic networks, Engine/7 spd Tranny tech. Sure the Japanese have their tech areas, especially when sponsored by their government i.e...Hybrids. But look at how long it took them to develope Minivans to compete with big 3...15 years??....1984 - 1999 (when Honda finally got it right). The Japanese tend to build on what they have, improving quality but not pushing limits.

The current Ody engine/tranny is proof of this. Their 3.5L isn't changing at all in lesser 05 models, oh they tweaked the HP ratings to 255 via programming changes in ECU. Note the frame/unibody of the Ody....does something look familar with that lazy suzy?? Didn't the previous 04 Ody have it's spare tire in a circular hole in that same spot??? VCM is neat tech but what about long term when 3 cylinders have 40k miles on them while the others are at 100k miles???? Thats where the Europeans get in trouble.

Where does the Big 3 stand? I believe they do the bare minimum to sell product. Keep it simple, don't invest too much $$$$ and get it out the door. Look at the new Freestar and Uplander.....freshened 8-10 year old designs!! GM didn't even try to compete with the Japanese - just throw in a new Instrument panel and throw an ugly big nose on the front - call it new!!! Ford gets a little credit with fold in floor seats. DCX is trying harder than the others ....stow n go, investing a little more $$$. They have to, Minivans are their lifeblood!!

This may come as a surprise for some, but owning an SUV vs Minivan is NOT a manhoon issue for many people. Many SUV owners need the towing capability, or AWD or prefer the more rugged construction (frame vs. unibody) or perceived sense of security.

FYI - the Mini Cooper has only it's name in common with the previous British version, nothing else.

Mercedes is soon coming out with the "R" class...Minivan/people mover, AWD. BMW's will probably be AWD also. They've been slow moving as to not dilute their Brand's images, just to push a product or fill a niche.

I've found that those who talk about manhood, ego or insecurity are usually the ones with such issues. I own the BMW cause I love driving it period, it's a "lowly" 3 series that cost less than a Honda Minvan for sure. The handling is simply incredible. Quality has been exceptional. My DCX van is an appliance plain and simple. I don't care what people think of either of them, they fit me.
  • macakavamacakava Member Posts: 775
    Hans,

There is no need to change your minivan if you have so little miles on it unless something catasthropic happens to it like my FORD Winnie about a year ago. My then 8 yr old Winnie only had 54K miles when the engine began knocking. Why spend $4-5K on a new engine for a vehicle worth less than that? No-brainer, Mon. So I got the Ody.

My current 10yr old Continental only has 48K miles and looks like new with absolutely no parking lot dents. Its 32Valve V8 engine is a very strong performer. Since I travel on business by air a lot and my work commute is only 8 miles return when I am home, my Conti does less than 5K miles/yr. It has been relatively trouble-free after a few early years of bugs removal. It has been fully paid for 8 yrs ago and that feels good. It could last me another 10yrs unless something catasthropic happens. So I am in no hurry to change it.
    Being in the Quality field for 25+ years, we know that the Japanese are the greatest in copying an idea/product and refining it better for reliability/quality than the innovators(USA and/or Europe).

Great examples right before our eyes:

1.) Cars

2.) Cameras

3.) Watches

4.) TVs

to name a few.

Anyone who does not associate quality with Japanese goods would not be aware of the gurus, Drs. Deming and Juran, Americans, who taught the Japanese.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    I stopped in at a nearby Dodge dealer who was having big sales blitz as I had a scratch off prize contest card I received by mail. I drive by them almost every day home from work anyway, so it was an easy in and out. Big whoop, I won a free oil/filter change which was what everyone received who didn't win the "big" prizes.

It did give me a chance to checkout up close the Dodge Stow and Go seats. I think they are a really nifty design and quite comfortable and very easy to stow. Firmer than the old non stowable Caravan seats, of which I am very familiar, but very comfortable.

I think D-C did a very nice job with this feature, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if the other manufacturers copy the center row stow and go concept on their next redesigns.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    The vast majority of SUV owners don't buy for towing,off roading or AWD. They buy for the size, power... and many the image.
    All vehicles are "people movers". If you prefer to think of your DCX van as nothing but "an appliance plain and simple"...then why not get rid
    of it? Get yourself one of them nice big SUV's that seat 8.People on these minivans boards usually like minivans.You obviously don't. Sounds like you're more interested in talking about your BMW.They have boards for that elsewhere.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    Interesting you would say this about Stow-n-Go, since most reviews of the Dodge vans ding the second row seats as being flimsy (so they can fold down) compared to other vans. In fact, Honda uses its beefed up second row seats as a marketing edge vs. Dodge. They don't fold down, but if you rarely need them to, what's more important, a comfy, solid seat or folding down?
    I have a good friend here in Detroit. He strongly feels nobody needs anything more than a Ford Focus (seriously!!!!). He probably feels we don't really need minivans either. Thank god we're free to buy and drive whatever we want!

Sorry but minivans are not an emotional vehicle for many if anybody - grocery getter, hauling kids....and that's my reason for having it. There's no passion in these, they're not overly fun to drive. (and I've driven many Hondas).

Nooo I LOVE my minivan as an appliance, it's perfect! It does all I ask of it, what I bought it for.
    Stow N GO was a major factor for me in choosing DCX. I've never heard any automotive mags call them flimsey, even CR!!!

My only complaint, they seem a little smaller.

I happen to rearrange my seats a lot, I have your basic overstuffed garage so finding space etc...is no longer an issue. I'm sure other Minivans will follow DCX and improve upon them (well maybe not Ford or GM since that might cost them $$$$).
  • kfdmedkfdmed Member Posts: 130
    The second row stow and go seats dont seem flimsy at all in my T&C. I gladly give up a little comfort for the ablilty to stow the seats. My oversized 2 car garage has no room for seats that can be removed. The convenience factor far outweighs the comfort factor for me. Anyways, those seats are going to be occupied with car/booster seats 99% of the time for the life of the van. I drove the Honda, Toyota, and the T&C. My first choice would have been the Toyota if price wasnt a consideration. The Honda was OK, but I dont know if I would ever get used to the long reach to the steering wheel. Throw price into the equation and it was a no brainer to go with the T&C. With $2000 rebate, 1% under invoice, 0%/60 months it would end up costing $6000 - $10000 less than a similiarly equiped Honda or Toyota after 5 years.
    I've read some complaints about the second row Stow and Go being not comfortable enough or too small, but I have never read any post or trade criticism about them being flimsy. The mechanisms seemed to operate very smoothly, and were solid latched in the up position.

As far as Honda's marketing edge, it sounds more like Honda's "spin" because they don't have this feature in their second row. Kind of reminds me of DaimlerChrysler's "spin" when they did not introduce stowable third row seating on their previous redesign. DaimlerChrysler's "marketing edge" at the time was that the stowable cavity introduced too much road noise into the cabin.

This time around, DaimlerChrysler took care to try to equal or improve on the noise level by implementing quiet steel into the steet storage box design. which is a dual layer of steel with sound dampening/absorbing material sandwitched in between. They also used higher tech memory foam on the cushions to allow lower profile with hopefully little compromise in comfort.

Seat comfort is highly dependent on individual preferences, however. Some like the overstuffed seats of the boulevard cruisers of yesteryear. For others, firmer is preferred.

Basically every manufacturer covers their shortcomings with marketing "spin".

On our '96 Caravan, I probably have occasion to remove the second row captains seats 3-4 times a year, and though this is not often, those second row seats are quite heavy and a bit of a beast to get in and out of the van.

I think the stow and goes are a nice feature, and I don't see the comfort compromised much, if at all.
    The convenience factor far outweighs the comfort factor for me.

I couldn't agree more with you!

Another good point you bring up....price difference. Without argument the Honda has superior resale than anything else in it's class, BUT, if you take the $6000 - $10,000 you're saving vs something else, and add that to resale at the end of 4 or 5 years...What's the total cost of ownership??
    "What's the total cost of ownership??"

Actually, if you want the True Cost to Own, Edmunds has that feature on this site. You should try it and see what comes up. I did one for the Honda vs. T&C and after 5 years the Honda was ahead by, if I recall correctly, at least $2500 to $3000 dollars.

If I get time I will find those reviews that ding the T&C second row seats.

Keep in mind the T&C was in my top 3 vans. We bought an Ody, but liked the T&C. I'm just reporting what I read (and also felt when I test drove).
    That's a cool tool!!! Only wish it would allow for a little more customization as far as pricing. I was looking at Ody EX, and purchased the GC SXT instead. The big factor was Dealer attitude and pricing on the Honda here in Detroit (very import unfriendly as you can imagine), plus a DCX employee got me his discount on top of every other rebate...it amounted to $9000 difference.

With just MSRP pricing, the Honda is $0.49/mile, the DCX is $0.55/mile.

Haven't found where the comparison tool allows us to enter our own specific numbers???
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    "Anyways, those seats are going to be occupied with car/booster seats 99% of the time for the life of the van."

As they will with the vast majority of minivan drivers. That's why this notion of it not being confortable enough isn't a major issue. It is for some people, but clearly not most. Just look at the DCX sales numbers the last few months
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    This all may be a mute subject - with the current rising gas prices we could all be walking soon....
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Haven't found where the comparison tool allows us to enter our own specific numbers???"

This idea is on the wish list but it may take a while to implement.

Steve, Host
    Trust in the invisible hand of the free market!!!! I heard on PBS there's new found reserves in the Middle East capable of supplying the West and a booming Chinese economy for 110 years!!!

The problem is refining the oil. US refineries are ancient, and new ones haven't been built in decades.
  • davenowdavenow Member Posts: 171
    >

please do...would be a great feature
    I haven't seen or heard anything about new reserves in the Middle East.It must be about 10 miles down and impossible to reach.Hybrids are the cars of the future. Followed by hydrogen cell battery powered cars.Dino oil will be extinct in about 40 years.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    And just where do you think you will get the energy to extract the hydrogen?
    "Anyways, those seats are going to be occupied with car/booster seats 99% of the time for the life of the van."

"As they will with the vast majority of minivan drivers. That's why this notion of it not being confortable enough isn't a major issue. It is for some people, but clearly not most. Just look at the DCX sales numbers the last few months."

Actually, I have made the opposite point. Why buy a van with 2nd row Stow n Go if car seats are in that row 95% of the time? And when you no longer need the car seats, you sill will need the secodn row, so why not get second row seats that are comfortable? As for DCX sales numbers, that issue has been addressed many times. It's apples and oranges vs, the imports.
    Second row stow and go seats are quite comfortable, so having them fold into the floor easily is a nice feature.

There are a lot of bells and whistles on current vehicles that one could make the same point. For instance, 99% of the time, I never open any of my windows. I use AC when it is hot and heat when it is cold. Does that mean all the automakers should not offer power windows? 90% or more of the time I don't use cruise control either, so should it not be nearly standard equipment on everything?

D-C came up with a great industry leading feature with both rows stowable, and yet there is a lot of denial shown here by those who don't think Detroit can do anything right.
    "Actually, I have made the opposite point. Why buy a van with 2nd row Stow n Go if car seats are in that row 95% of the time? And when you no longer need the car seats, you sill will need the secodn row, so why not get second row seats that are comfortable?"

The flexibility is always there. If you need to transport something large, you only have t o take out the car seats, not the entire seat. And someone with toddlers will never have them actually touch the seat - it will be a standard car seat and then booster for the life of the car. Unless you keep you car for over 10 years, there will be something there

"As for DCX sales numbers, that issue has been addressed many times. It's apples and oranges vs, the imports. "

My statement was in regards to the fact that DC stopped a several years long sales slide for their minivans by introducing stow and go, and the sales have kept increasing lately, despite a hot new competitor. Supporting the notion that the public, in general, likes them
    ....I think that what some of us non-DCX minivan fans are forgetting about Stow n Go seats is that for the 99% of the time they are NOT stowed, the DCX vans have a LOT of very useful underfloor storage.
    Now you bring up another point, we've been told forever that oil comes from a bunch of dead dinos...well guess what, maybe NOT!!! Even common sense makes you wonder just how many dinos are there to make up oil..Gazillions??? Dinos may have nothing to do with Oil.

This was about 3 weeks ago on NPR... the oil reserves in Saudi Arabia specifically.
    It's the same kinda thinking that says electrics cars are the future, just flick a switch and charge you battery and drive!!! No one questions how the electricity will be produced? God forbid we build a new nuclear plant in this country!!!!
  • lastwraithlastwraith Member Posts: 350
    I didn't think the Sto n Go seats were all that comfortable, but it is a neat idea if you must have the utility. We just don't. Purely as a people mover for adults only over long-distances the Ody was priced right and outfitted nicely. It is also somewhat nimble, at least as far as minivans go. Having said that, each van has it's own strongpoints and each will certainly fit someone's needs exceptionally well.

As for people buying SUVs, come visit Long Island. At least 90% have no clue how to even begin to tow something, and the most people they take around is their one or two small children. It's all insane, and to get 12mpg HWY. Here it's all about image, and perceived safety. Meanwhile a great number of newer "SUVs" are car based anyway, so the body-on-frame argument doesn't really apply....at least where I live. I'm just hoping that America regains its sanity again where SUVs are concerned. I'll take my safety "chances" with a more nimble vehicle that returns better gas mileage, better comfort, and most of the time even more interior space. The stupidity of ego is truly astounding.
    I'll take my safety "chances" with a more nimble vehicle that returns better gas mileage, better comfort, and most of the time even more interior space.

I agree 100%, that's why I have a minivan...I sit up high, great vision, more space, better ride, better gas mileage. If it snows, i wait a few hours for roads to clear. BUT...for whatever reason someone desires an SUV or 2 seat sports car or Harley....as long as they can afford it, let em buy it. People could look at Minivan drivers and say the same things....wasteful, too large, only 2 kids in them, and only 20 mpg!! We should all have bikes like China!!
  • utterutter Member Posts: 79
    "I agree 100%, that's why I have a minivan...I sit up high, great vision, more space, better ride, better gas mileage. If it snows, i wait a few hours for roads to clear."

To this day minivans are probably my favorite vehicle for those precise reasons. Minivans give you the interior room, good field of vision, room for a crowd, surprisngly good control and acceleration, and ruggedness.
    "Now you bring up another point, we've been told forever that oil comes from a bunch of dead dinos..."

See what a government education will get you?

It wasn't JUST 'dinos'. Hydrocarbons are from the decomposition of ALL organic matter, not just 'dinos'. You have any idea how many dinos, fish, insects, trees, bushes, etc. etc. would be involved in a process spanning hundreds of millions of years? That would be A LOT of organic matter.

BTW - agee with you on nukes. Hydrogen may make a dandy fuel for a clean automobile, but what about the process to generate the hydrogen? One doesn't just pump hydrogen out of the ground; it takes energy (and a lot of it) to produce. Do we really want to exchange regular gas burning vehicles for coal-fired plants built to produce hydrogen? How clean is that?
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Western Colorado has great reserves of energy contained within oil shale that had been too expensive to extract.
    Rumor has it that the energy reserves contained within the oil shale rival those of the Saudi petroleum reserves but are not as cheap to extract.
    For now, the gasoline powered minivan is one of the most efficient people movers produced.
    How about we get back to minivan shopping and leave the dinos to rest in peace? Thanks,

Steve, Host
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    I've read day after day, one person putting down another for not being smart enough to buy the minivan they have, or my mini van is better than yours.

There are many reasons people bought the van that they have. It might be because of price, reliability, features, looks, name, etc.

It makes little difference which minivan you bought, as long as your happy with it. But your all pretty smart buying a minivan.

You have a vehicle there that rides and handles like a car. That can hold seven or more people ( that makes it great when family or friends drop in from out of state and you want to show them the town. No going out and renting one)

Your minivan, in a lot of situations, can hold as much or more stuff, as a pickup truck. You can pull a small trailer or boat with it too.

You have enough room to haul not only the kids, but a big dog and not have the dog sit on the seats, clawing at the cushions.

You can take out the middle seats,( or if it's a new Dodge/Chrysler, fold the seats into the floor and you can sleep in it when taking long trips.

The wife can get up out of her passenger seat and check on the kids in the back without having to stop the van and get out and climb back in to do it. Much like a motor home.

You'll get better mileage than a pickup or SUV.

Although a minivan is big, it doesn't tend to roll over like a SUV does and insurance is cheaper than most SUV's, trucks and cars.

So, unless your planning to go off roading, buying a minivan was one of the smartest moves you made. You can do just about anything in a minivan that you can do in a car, truck or SUV put together. In many cases, do it for less. Best thing of all, your ready for just about anything that comes up. See how smart you all are?
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    I don't know where many people get off by saying go-n-stow seats are uncomfortable. Yes, they are just a little narrower and just a little firmer. But Chrysler made them so you can not only stow them, you can move the seat front wards or backwards for more leg room, gave you arm rests with them and you can adjust the back to tilt the way you want it. It is much more comfortable than my brother's old middle bench seat. Chrysler did an excellent job designing them.
  • greener1greener1 Member Posts: 37
    Let alone that those nifty automatic retractable cup holders in the middle fold down seats also automatically fold in, in case you forget to retract them, no broken cup holders, great thought by chrysler
    WOW!!! I ran out to garage to try em!!! Cool. Learn something new everyday!!!!
    OMG, I can't believe it's come to this - getting excited about Minivan cup holders!!!!! I'm going out to look for a life! :)~
    Sorry rorr, I was just about to tell you where we can get the energy to generate the hydrogen...but we have to move on.
    Very well put marine2. All of us minivan buyers are geniuses. Even though my Mazda MPV got a bit of a black eye in this recent Consumer Reports fiasco on reliability....I love it.Family had a station wagon before...but minivan much more versatile.All you minivan shopper out there. Good choice....and good luck!
    Expect it unless you buy a Honda or Toyota. CR will rate anything built by Honda or Toyota at the top and have pity on the suckers who want the comfort items DC minivans have offered for decades or the convenient size of the MPV.
    Well said and a great advocate for all of us minivan lovers.

The primary reason for our minivan ownership is for the flexibility, practicality, versatility and comfort while doing so.

It has been said somewhere that many SUV owners wish their vehicles offer the same flexibility, practicality, versatility and comfort BUT their ego(manhood, being fashionable, etc) won't allow them.
    "Sorry rorr, I was just about to tell you where we can get the energy to generate the hydrogen...but we have to move on."

Well don't leave me hanging. I'm just dying to know how you think you can generate hydrogen cheaply enough to compete with gasoline as a fuel source. But don't tell me here, go to the "Hydrogen Fuel Cell Cars" thread in the "Hyrid Vehicles" board.
    Good suggestion - here's the link:

Hydrogen Fuel Cell Cars

Steve, Host
    Pick the best feature or attribute of your Minivan!!! Just ONE!!

Mine: Styling.
    Drivetrain.

If I say the drivetrain is torquey, reliable and gets decent mpg, does that still count as one?

Steve, Host
  • motmot Member Posts: 19
    2005 Honda Odyssey

Total Passenger Comfort
    2005 Honda Odyssey:

Perceived Value (performance/safety features/comfort/reliability vs. purchase price)

How's that for "one" attribute?

8^)
    2002 Chrysler T&C LX:

Actual Value (separately controlled temperature for driver, front passenger, rear passengers/fuel economy/quiet ride/low initial cost to me).

However, if I were buying a NEW 2005 minivan it would probably be a 2005 Odyssey EX (cloth).
    2004 Mazda MPV LX

Rear spoiler...ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM !!
    I give up. jipster is the WINNER of this contest with his 2004 Mazda MPV LX.
    2004 T&C Touring Platinum

In dash 6 CD/DVD changer (plus another slot for the NAV)