Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Suzuki Aerio Wagon

Comments

• Options
    smiller678smiller678 Member Posts: 64
    Hi all,

I just turned 10K miles this weekend. I have a 2003 Aerio SX FWD with Auto. So far so good. Not a single problem other than the brake clunk in which I haven't needed to bring the car in so I haven't had it checked out for. I will have them look at it on my 30K mile checkup. So far I really like this car. Its as dependable as my 2001 Hyundai Elantra was so far.

Does anybody know where the outside temperature thermometer is located? Also, is your reading accurate and how long does it take to get within outside temperature? Mine takes like 30-45 minutes before it comes to about 5 degrees F of the outside temperature. To me that is awfully long.

Happy motoring.

Shawn
  • Options
    frenchcarfrenchcar Member Posts: 247
    We have 12,000 miles on our Aerio and have changed oil 3 times (1700 miles, 5,500 and 10,000). I only had to add a pint of oil one time and that was at 4,000 miles and it puzzled me but it has never happened since. I have experimented and find that if I pull the dipstick after it sits all night I get one reading and if I run it for 30 seconds and let it sit for 10 minutes I get a different but often higher reading. Mine has never used any oil since that one time and none of my Suzuki products has ever been an oil burner until they hit high mileage which is normal. In past years I have owned some new VW products that all used a quart of oil every 1500 miles and it never improved. Some cars are difficult to seat the rings and in truck engines it is sometimes designed in on puurpose for splash lubrication. You can get false readings in cold weather and short city driving as condensation will build up and you get a high reading and then drive it on the highway and the condensation boils away and a lower reading pops up. There are many variables but I wouldnt worry about it unless it is still doing it at 20,000 miles. My fog lights are both tight but I suspect there is a real simple fix for a loose one. Contact Suzuki direct if your dealer doesnt come up with the gasket. I understand the brake problem was limited to the early ones with ABS. We have had no problem.
  • Options
    jontyreesjontyrees Member Posts: 160
    ....in the list of Aerio related topics?
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    I have no problem finding it via the different (make/model and open box) search sources here. It's also linked to the Helpful Links on the left side of the page. Can you email me to explain what you mean? revka@edmunds.com

Thanks. ;-)

Revka
  • Options
    nycaerionycaerio Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my Aerio wt ABS and auto trans last July through Carsdirect.com for 14,839. I did all of my research on the internet and fell in love with the Aerio when I first discovered it. This is my first car in 8 years. As rediculous as it sounds I did not test drive anything else. I settled on the Aerio because of its price and features. Every now and then I wonder if I made the right choice. After attending the NY Auto Show I am sure I did. I am 6'2". The Aerio headroom out does most of the cars I looked at at the show. The Vibe and the Matrix do compare but their dashes are very busy. After sitting in these I appreciate the simplicity of the Aerio dash. Even the Outlander and the Murano don't out do the Aerio headroom. The Elantra GT hatchback looked to have amazing space under the hatch and had great leg room but the head room wasn't there. The inside was boring. The features and price are right though. But then there are the crash test results which the Aerio wins. The Mini truly was. The Element was great but the back seats aren't so comfy. I did love the new Scion Bbx but it only has 108 hp. The head room was amazing and the windshield goes straight up so you have a great view. Anyway I love my Aerio. I have had a sunroof installed and new stero. I have customized with anything I can stick on it, bumper guards, side moulding, dash trim etc. Anyway that's my 2 cents about the Aerio!
  • Options
    davidd5davidd5 Member Posts: 79
    nycaerio, what dash trim did you get? how did the bumber guards look? I put on the side mouldings and the hood deflector. Also installed the factory alarm. I would like to put on the dash trim,but I don't know which one I want. The wood grain,aluminum alloy look or the carbon fibre. Also want a shifter knob,but the dealer says they aren't making them yet,but there are on the web site. Wish the dealers around here would dress some cars up,so we could see what they really would look like.
  • Options
    Yea, my outside temp takes a long time to get to right temp too. And its usually 2-5deg C too high from what the broadcast temp is on the radio. Will ask about it tomorrow at the dealer when it goes in for some other minor stuff.
  • Options
    The things I like about my Aerio SX speed. Love all the room,cubby holes,comfortable seats,full load,aluminum engine with a steel oil pan,Equeal length drive shafts{ no torque steer},super boots on the drive shaft c/v joints{ should never need replacement under normal driveing}Very easy to park anywhere,very good torque and H.P.. Some things I don't like. That the rear wiper doesn't have a delay mode, would perfer real gauges or at least a temp gauge,bad placement of the cruise switch, gas mileage could be better[still breaking in]. To The people that think the tires are too small. Remember not to long ago that 15" wheels were the norm on a FULL size car. This is still a compact car and 15" tires are still pretty cheap to buy when it comes to replacement time.One more thing I don't like is the cargo cover. wish it was a retactable one.
  • Options
    tictac2tictac2 Member Posts: 12
    Anyone have any good or bad experiences with the AWD? I had decided against it (felt it wasn't really necessary) but a local dealer has a demo 2003 with 2700 miles Auto, ABS, AWD for the same price as a new 2003 Auto, ABS without AWD. So in essence I could get the AWD for free. Just don't know if it would be worth it. Is there extra maintenance with the AWD over the FWD? I know there is some power loss. Assume gas mileage will be lower. How is the reliability or longevity of the AWD system? I do live in a somewhat snowy climate, Colorado, but don't know how often the AWD will even be necessary. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    nycaerionycaerio Member Posts: 2
    I got my dash trim from Discountdash. It is brushed aluminum. The bumper guards I got at the car wash! They are body colored (silver) and look pretty good.
  • Options
    Hi Everyone - Thought you might enjoy hearing that the Suzuki Aerio SX got one of the top spots (for wagons) on Edmunds.com's Consumers Most Wanted Vehicles for 2003. It also placed in the in the number one spot, for wagons under 15k, on Edmunds' Editors Most Wanted Vehicles for 2003. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I sure got one when my local Mitsubishi dealer offered me $7k. Yes, thats right folks, $7k for a 2003 with 9400 miles!! I told them that Hyundai offered me $10633 in the hopes they would try to beat the offer, but they didn't care. They flat out told me they didn't want the car and even tried to get the local Suzuki dealer to take it as a trade and they didn't want it either! Is that not a shocker or what? If a Suzuki dealer doesn't want their own car, than what does that say about Suzuki? Does anyone know the reason why Suzukis have such horrible resale or the history behind it? I mean, I would have expected that offer for an 03 Accent or Kia Spectra, but not a well equipped Japanese nameplate wagon. I was happy with my salesman though. He kindly didn't pull my credit knowing that it was a ridiculous offer. The Hyundai dealer called me back today so there may be a glimmer of hope there, but I've decided that if Hyundai won't up their offer to 11k, than I will just live with the car until the end of the year and try again.
  • Options
    You might also want to see what they have to say about your vehicle in our Real World Trade-in Value discussion. Also, keep in mind that dealer trade-in value is not the same as re-sale value.

Have you considered selling it privately? My experience has shown that dealers won't give you anywhere near the fair market used value or even close to blue book value... when trading in. Not to mention, the slow economy is not helping matters here. What you're experiencing is happening with a lot of other makes as well. Good luck. ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • Options
    Do you need AWD? Of course not. But its nice to have. I too live in a snowy place. Alberta,Canada. Mine is a 2WD 5speed. I had no problems this winter and we had a very bad winter. Now I may have gotten the AWD if it had come with a 5 speed. Yes there we be some trade off in fuel mileage. But the resale should be better.
  • Options
    Used car trade in values and auction prices are at an all time low right at the moment. Car sales were way up for several months which resulted in tons of trade ins and in the past 18 months there have been far more vehicles coming off lease than usual and this means overloaded used car lots and auctions too and this in turn means low prices. Add in the fact that new vehicles are cheaper now than a year ago due to the deep discounts and it adds up to disaster and believe me there is far more profit being made on used cars than new ones. The higher priced vehicles are taking a bigger hit than a Suzuki is. The Kelley Blue Book, NADA books and others mean almost nothing at the moment and might not turn around for a year or more but every market is different. My wife works for a large used car operation and they just bought some 2002 Dodge Intrepids at the auction for $7000 and they cost more than your Suzuki did. Suzuki 4X4 vehicles often sell at retail for more than book price in certain markets but it is going to take the Aerio a few years to get established on a firm basis. You should be able to sell yours for about $10,900 and a dealer can probably sell it for $11,500. The first years depreciation is always a whopper on most any car and this year is worse than normal. My neighbor was just offered $9000 for a 2 year old Chevy that he paid $20,000 for and this was at a Chevy dealer. He is not happy about it and he claims the book shows a trade in of $11,000. You could probably drive that Aerio for 3 years and sell it yourself for the $7000 that Mitsubishi dealer is offering. He is pricing it low on purpose as he would take it to the auction or sell it to someone elses car lot. A Suzuki dealer probably wouldnt want a Mitsubishi on their lot and would price it low. The Ford Focus we traded in was sold immediately to a Ford dealer. The only way to make out now is to keep a vehicle a long time or sell them yourself but eventually the price levels out at the retail level regardless of age. In my area it is difficult to buy any car or truck on a lot for less than $3000 to $4000 regardless if it is 5 or 10 years old even though they just went through the auction for $700. I amlooking for a used 2nd car and was offered a one year old Kia for $4995 or a new one for $6995 and another place wants $4500 for a 93 Geo Tracker with 115000 miles on it. It doesnt make much sense and might not be fair but that is the nature of the up and down used car business. We enjoy our Aerio and hope to keep it a long time.
  • Options
    So you think I should take the $10633 offer from Hyundai and run with it (assuming I want out of the car bad enough)?? Pay off on my car currently is $14899.
  • Options
    That is a great trade in price from Hyundai and they must think they can sell it for $12,500 or more or they are taking the discount on the new car and adding it to the trade in. Pin them down but with that large of a pay off most people would think twice, hound Suzuki to fix it correctly and drive it a couple of years and try to learn to enjoy it. If you really want out bad enough you just close your eyes and do it. I once did that after just 6 months into a new car and I paid through the nose to do it but I had no regrets but at that time I could afford the loss. I understand how it is no fun to drive a car you dont trust or have learned to hate. Maybe Suzuki in California will work with your dealer and lend you a car until yours is fixed correctly. Have you explained it to them in detail? Maybe it will get hit by Lightning and burn up to a cinder or get stolen by the border. Good Luck.
  • Options
    regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    ingtonge, have you seen the new Lancer Sportwagon they showed at the New York Auto Show? A Lancer station wagon it is. Volvo rear tailights.
  • Options
    Yea, I saw the pictures. You would think it was the next Volvo S40 wagon with those V70 lookalike tailights. It's too boxy looking, but it ought to be one hot sports wagon with 162 hp, 16" wheels, and sport suspension.
  • Options
    Anyone know whether the Aerio has a fuel cutoff and when it engages? I was able to take my engine 2 bars into the red zone (the orange bars do turn red once you enter the redline) and there was no sign of the fuel cutoff or rev limiter kicking in. Maybe Suzuki was being conservative with the redline? Not that it matters cause the engine sounded like it was screaming for mercy at those rpms. Just curious.
  • Options
    jzarlijzarli Member Posts: 7
    There is nothing worse than being unhappy with a new car. Just a few comments, but I understand if it doesn't change your mind. I've been there before. On my manual 2003 SX the fuel cutoff is promptly at 6000 rpm. I only tried it once. regarding resale, carmax in our area is offering a used 2003 SX for way more than they cost around here new. They are just too new for anyone to have a feel for. I also live in Florida, and I'd say there is obviously something wrong with your car. My cruise control works fine, and my engine does not stutter at low rpm. It doesn't surprise me that your dealer is no help. This is Florida. the only thing missing from my purchase experience was the cigar smoke. Although the place still smelled from previous cigar smoke. It sounds like a vacuum leak. Perhaps you might have another mechanic look at. Certainly cheaper than disposing the car. also regarding "V" rated tires, it is not that Suzuki expects anyone to drive 150 mph. The "V" rating also represents a type of sidewall construction, which is presumably factored into the handling design. That is why you see (good)tire dealers so reluctant to change speed ratings.
  • Options
    I had my eyes on the road at the time, but somewhere north of 60mph in 2nd gear, my SX hit some kind of limiter, fuel shut off I guess. If you go look what rpm you're doing at about 32mph, it should be around twice that.

I'd try again to get your car fixed under warranty, then sell it privately. It would be most uncool to sell it to some unsuspecting buyer as is, unless you tell them the gory details. But then you wouldn't get much for it.
  • Options
    The June issue of Auto World Magazine has a nice interview with Rick Suzuki who heads up American Suzuki in Brea, California. I once wrote to him with some ideas and suggestions and received a nice reply. Perhaps he would listen to a detailed complaint unless you have already disposed of your car. Sounds like you are trying to over rev it and destroy it. # 758 and # 759 both had good advice for # 757 and he might be right about the vacuum leak theory. Most problems usually turn out to be simple but the hard part is calming down and getting to the right person who can and will help. Kill them with kindness goes much farther than screaming.
  • Options
    josh28josh28 Member Posts: 14
    I'm 6'4" and not yet an Aerio SX owner. I've taken two test drives and have been quite pleased. There's a lot of room especially for a small car. My main concern is the length of the seat (the horizontal part); it's much shorter than my femur/thigh and I'm concerned that I won't be comfortable on longer drives. Are there any tall drivers with positive or negative experiences with comfort?
  • Options
    I did the dirty stress-inducing deed last night. I traded in my 03 Aerio SX on an 03 Hyundai Tiburon GT-V6. A number of things drove me to my decision.

First, I felt the long list of annoyances on my car was unacceptable: intermittent bucking/stuttering, loose fog lamp and hood (hood was adjusted myself but still), pull to the right, front brakes clunked and began to make popping noises when I was turning without my foot on the brakes (making me wonder if there was a problem with my front wheel bearings like someone else was told in here), an aggravatingly loud and incessant buzzing from the front door panels, soso braking power combined with pronounced brake dive on even light brake applications, LOUD wind noise on the highway starting at a low 60 mph, LOUD engine when accelerating, the fabric on the door panels were already showing wear, the engine was slow to start and it often started with a rough shake, and performance and fuel economy at highway speeds was underwhelming. I also noticed that the power steering pump moaned pretty loud, reminding me of my dad's old 84 Chevy S10 (maybe just a little too much GM influence in Suzuki?). One thing I never mentioned was a shrill whistling sound sometimes heard at idle, but it must have died down because I stopped noticing it. I wonder if there was in fact a vacuum leak somewhere that was causing both the slow reacting cruise and the bucking.

Secondly, I'm a single 23 yr old guy and began to feel the Aerio was just too big and "family" oriented for my needs. My friends liked to call it the wally wagon or would start singing the brady bunch as we walked up to it. Now I don't let my friends decide a car for me, but in a way, they were right. It was too big for a little guy like me (5'6", 130#) and had way more room than I needed. The Aerio SX just didn't have the image that makes a person like me feel good about their car. Plus, it felt as big and top heavy as it looked. I sometimes felt like I was piloting a small bus.

Lastly, for once in my life, I actually decided I had enough of shifting. I live in a city that sits in the middle of nowhere and has no highways to ease traffic flow from one side of town to the other. There were times when my left ankle would become sore by the time I got home. So, I got an automatic on the Tiburon (I'm really going to catch flak from my family about that decision; my mom is almost 60 and still drives a stick).

So, am I happy? I think I have finally found automotive nirvana! I feel a lot happier about this purchase than the Aerio even though I lost a lot of money. I find the little features to be the most exciting. Examples: the lights automatically turn off when you open the door, the ignition is mounted on the dash and has a light that turns on when you unlock the doors, the rear wiper has both an intermittent setting and a low speed setting, the rear defroster has a timer, the sideview mirrors are heated (no more frosted mirrors all the way to work!!; they were cleared in 30 seconds), the glove box has a light and mouse fur and is hydraulically dampened in its opening motion, there is a nifty square shaped cubby to put your cell phone so it stands upright within hand's reach, and the stereo kicks out serious bass with no buzzing or rattles (HOORAH!!!). But the best thing about the car is its amazing level of refinement. It's so smooth and quiet and the quality of materials is outstanding. Anyway, good luck on everyone's Aerios. I will still keep a close eye on this board to see how the model progresses.
  • Options
    HankrHankr Member Posts: 100
    Truly sorry to hear of your bad experience. I hope you're much happier with the Hyundai.

Anyone buying an Aerio should take notice. Suzuki cars have steep depreciation... always have, its not new to the Aerio. But unlike Ingtonge18's experiences, they are usually also very durable vehicles.

For those planning to drive the car for 5 or more years, it is a very good long-term value if you can be happy driving a low-volume, out-of-the-mainstream brand. I find that appealing.

If you think you might trade sooner than 4 or 5 years though, any gain you get in an Aerio's lower intital purchase price (viv-a-vis Matrix, Protoge5, or PT) will be lost at trade-in time (when it will be worth nearly that much less).

It'll take 5 years or more to where they're all beaters and their market prices at that time are nearly the same for the Aerio's value to be realized.
  • Options
    I know what you mean about the short seat cushion. It is critical that the seat height adjustment knob be in just the right position and the seat angle just right too . If the height adjuster is off just a little it aggravates the situation dramatically. Eventually I found the right combination for seat and steering wheel settings. I saw a man who was 6'8'' tall get in one and he was amazed at the head room compared to his Buick Century which had none to speak of for him. It was strange to see how he adjusted everything. I expected to see him angle the seat back at a fantastic angle with arms out straight but he ended up with the seat back straight up and he sat close to the wheel like an Italian cab driver. I guess we all do it differently. If you can get the rear of the cushion down slightly or the front edge up slightly it will support your thighs better. Try it again and good luck.
  • Options
    I for one (though I'm sure I'm not alone) have greatly appreciated your comments here both good and bad about your SX. While I am sorry you've had a bad experience with your vehicle, I am glad you weren't afraid to be honest about the problems you were having. I came to these boards looking to gain some insight on the vehicles I was deciding between and to do that I wanted to know what the down sides were to each. It's easy to see the good in a new vehicle, but the bad usually takes actual time with the car. Thanks again for sharing and good luck with the Tiburon. Don't think you can go wrong with Hyundai these days.
  • Options
    josh28josh28 Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the note on the seat height adjustment knob.

When I first started my test drive, the seat cushion was flat (parallel with the ground) yet because only a little bit of my legs were supported by the seat (or conversely most of my legs' weight were now on my feet), I was sliding ever so slightly forward and thought the cushion was tilted down.

After adjusting the seat height adjustment knob, the only position where I didn't feel as if I was sliding forward was with the front of the cushion up and the back down as far as possible. Unfortunately, this shifted my legs’ weight to just a small part of my thighs. My legs are a normal length for my height (35-36”) but perhaps they’re heavier than normal since I’m a cyclist. Maybe the seat cushion is simply too short for me.

On an unrelated note, on both Aerio SX test drive, going into 3rd gear felt a little mushy – not quite as crisp as the other gears. Anyone else experience this?
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind comments. It's responses like yours that keeps me participating in these forums. It makes me feel like I'm not just talking to a wall and my comments may actually be helping someone out there. Good luck with your purchase decision! Have you narrowed down your choices any further?
  • Options
    I often had trouble with 3rd gear grinding if I didn't take my time shifting. 3rd was a little more difficult to find and didn't have as crisp a snick to it. I never had a problem with any of the other gears.
  • Options
    My decision has come down to the Elantra GT and the SX. Really like the GT except for higher insurance rates, the sloped rear window and most of all the looks. I am in the small minority in the world that actually like the looks of the SX (in certain colors). I don't think I could go wrong with the GT, but looks are important to me so I have decided to get the SX, only problem is the dealers are having a hard time finding an Auto w/ABS. Plenty w/AWD but don't want to spend the extra money. So, I will be keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have the problems you experienced.

Anyone ever heard of a color for the SX called Cosmic Blue (as printed on the sticker)? A dealer here has one but doesn't know anything about the color. It seems to be a little darker than the Canadian Sapphire Blue but lighter than the US Catseye Blue. It's a nice blue but think it will be hard to find paint if no one knows where the color comes from. Maybe it's an early 2004? Hard to tell what year they are since Suzuki doesn't print it on the sticker. Wonder why that is?

Has anyone noticed a resemblance between Spiderman and the headlights of a red Aerio? I'm not saying it's bad, just a little odd.
  • Options
    artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    Sorry also about your bad luck with your Aerio. Sure seems like you got a bad apple or the runt of the litter. We've had the brake clunk (only ever happened on 1st forward braking after reversing out of the garage) but the clip fix worked.....no clunks now. The door buzz is noticeable again now (don't know if the warmer weather has anything to do with it) so will get them to check (both passenger side doors) at next service. Mileage seems to be improving as well...again, the warmer weather may be a factor. Canadian spec. SX's must be a bit different, as ABS is standard and heated mirrors are too. Anyway, good luck with your Tiburon...
    Hyundai has come a long way in a relatively short time.
  • Options
    I have never heard of the Cosmis Blue. A mid year addition perhaps? Have you checked out Suzuki's website? It sounds interesting though since I wanted blue, but for 03 Suzuki dropped the Catseye blue as an option on the SX.

I find insurance an interesting and baffling business. I was really scared that my insurance would skyrocket by moving from an economy "wagon" to a V6 "sports car". So I called my insurance company before I would commit to a price. Surprisingly enough, my insurance went up a measly $40 per 6 months! I'm very happy that Progressive doesn't penalize young "sports car" drivers :)
  • Options
    rangerabnrangerabn Member Posts: 1
    I needed an AWD car for ski trips, surviving winter and driving in the rain. Pontiac Vibe, Suzuki and Toyota Matrix were the contenders. I was impressed by all three.

The clencher was the Suzuki price coupled with admirable quality- for an economy car. Handles nicely at highway speeds. Maneuverable in the city. Overall Suzuki owners get a lot of miles outta the vehicles. I kept test driving the vehicle - it just had a great feel. I will put 100,000 plus miles on it.

I saved about $3,000 plus US Dollars on the Suzuki over Aerio / Vibe.

Plus it looks cool!
  • Options
    We have 12,000 miles on our Aerio now and I am wondering if any of you have over 20,000 miles yet and what your experience has been. Seems to me that several months ago there was someone who was using theirs for delivery service and was racking up miles pretty fast but was going through brakes rather quick in stop and go driving. Just curious. Ours has been trouble free. Any comments?
  • Options
    Just turned over 6k miles. Did you do anything special at that point? - I'm inclined to just change the oil, maybe rotate the tires. I'm also going to get a K&N filter. I was toying with the idea of getting the whole intake, but I have yet to see any definitive data to show that it is better than going with the K&N drop-in replacement. Plus being here in TX, any short, under hood intake would just be sucking in really hot air.

Happily no real problems so far, except intermittant door buzz, and the classic brake clunk. Perhaps I should go ahead and schedule it in for the dealer to service.
  • Options
    I opted for the drop in filter also as the Arizona heat concerned me with the complete intake set up. I have seen some past test reports that say in most cases the long intakes put out better figures than the drop ins but it varies from application to application and some are better insulated or baffled than others and I was not going to take a chance. Do you have ABS on yours ? as you mention the brake clunk and I dont have that problem or perhaps it isnt a problem at all. Nothing else to do at 6,000 miles other than oil change and tire rotation.
  • Options
    Did you notice a differance with the K&N filter? I thinking of going with the typhoon set up, but like you said, im concerned about the under hood temps cancelling out the benifit of the K&N filter. My just turned over 8000km. Can really start to feel the car loosing up.{In a good way} Better gas milage,more power.
  • Options
    chocoxtacochocoxtaco Member Posts: 32
    One tuner website reported finding a K and N filter already in place when they went to switch the stock one out. They are pricey, but I might have to check one out since a local parts store has 'em on sale this month.
  • Options
    We noticed a difference in both power and gas mileage on our Aerio with the K & N. In fact I just cleaned and re-oiled mine and noticed a slight difference. When you live in a hot dry desert here in Arizona you have to oil them probably twice a year but if you live in a normal climate with some humidity you can probably go 2 years or so. Go with the Typhoon set up since you live in Canada which is far cooler than where I live and I know a way to cool them down more with metallic and insulated tape sold by hot rod shops. I also run synthetic oil which runs 15 degrees cooler. If you get the typhoon let us know how it works out.
  • Options
    recyakkerrecyakker Member Posts: 2
    Almost ready to buy my Aerio SX fwd autom. An avid canoeist/kayaker. Considering getting Suzuki's roof rack as an option for the canoe (55lbs.). Any boating enthusiasts out there to advise me? Understand the rack is rated for 65lbs. I'm
     afraid of marring the paint with a commercial rack and me as the installer. Btw., love the car and the posts. Thanks in D.C.
  • Options
    Go with the factory set up. I really have no first hand knowledge of it,but I'm sure it would be better then any after market set up. For me,I'm only 5.7 and that roof is really high for me. I was thinking about the bike carrier but there is no way in hell I could get one up there. Would like to get a hitch type carrier,but ZUKI do not make a hitch for it. Funny had can get one for the model sold in england. Will try to find an after market one. Frenchcar,thanks for the info. Will lean more toward the Typhoon. I'm also running syn oil Mobil1.
  • Options
    was on how "weak" the bumpers were. I was hit in the rear 2 weeks after I got my 03SX. The only damage was a minor scuff. Polished right out. BTW it was about -30c and was good bump. Was VERY impressed.
  • Options
    If anyone was curious to know the Aerio SX's market value, I came across my Suzuki sitting in the used car section where I traded her in. Asking price was 11,600-11,900 (the salesman wasn't sure of the exact price). In other words, basically 1k more than they gave me on trade-in. I knew they wouldn't auction off such a new car and it was fun catching them in the lie, LOL. I got a little satisfaction by earning an extra $100 from the dealership by referring my friend.
  • Options
    coloaeriosxcoloaeriosx Member Posts: 2
    I have a question and a problem:
    As follows,
    I have owned several cars with cruise control and have noticed and had my Aerio back to the dealer 3 times so far for this: On a very small incline the Aerio will downshift to the next lower gear, even on a flat highway while cruising at 65-70 going over a highway interchange the damn thing downshifts! I have never seen this on previous cars with a 4 cylinder PLEASE if anyone out there has noticed the same problems on their Aerio with an automatic transmission and AWD email asap at mstilley@aol.com Tommorow the dealership is lending me a car for a day to see if it acts the same if it does my next step is to use Colorado's lemon law to get my money back on the entire car this is a real problem email asap if you are expeincing similar problems thanks.
  • Options
    and sorry to hear about your cruise control. It would be helpful if you would also post (copy/paste) your message in our Suzuki Aerio problems discussion, which is now linked from our Maintenance & Repair board to Hatchbacks.

For future reference, look for a direct link to this discussion in the Helpful Links on the left side of this page. You'll also find a direct link back to this discussion from that area.

To everyone (especially Canadian owners) - If you have a chance, please check out David5's Post 15 (regarding the check eng light) in our Aerio Problems discussion. And post your responses there. Thanks for your participation! ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • Options
    The Lemon Law would apply if the whole car is a piece of junk that basically doesn't work. Sounds you have a slight issue with the car downshifting when you didn't expect it to. I seriously doubt any manufacturer is going to say "Oh, your cruise control is acting up, here's your $14k back". If it's not working properly, they'll fix it - don't worry about it.
  • Options
    A couple posts were deleted, because they were not appropriate for this discussion. In addition, for the sake of continuity, another post in direct response to the initial post was also deleted.

At Town Hall, it's best to avoid talking about people... and stick to discussing cars. You are free to use your email if you'd like to discuss off topic subjects. Okay? Feel free to email me if you have any questions/comments regarding this matter.

And now, back to the subject of the Suzuki Aerio SX. Thanks! ;-)

Revka
    Host/Hatchbacks & Wagons
  • Options
    chocoxtacochocoxtaco Member Posts: 32
    I gave up using cruise with my automatic Legacy wagon. That thing would downshift so often and kick the revs up higher than I liked. Foot control never made the tranny work so much.
This discussion has been closed.