Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    Another tailgater in construction zone with narrowed lanes and rough, cold-patched- roller coaster pavement. Two lanes with trucks in right lane. 55 mph speed limit. Sentra on my bumper like she thought I should go faster than 58, so I slowed gradually to 54.

As soon as she could she passed on right and cut her little Nissan back to lane ahead of me so she could speed up. I speeded up to my usual 68 as soon as the lowered construction speed ended.

She was going to the next exit 1 mile ahead. She seemed to hang in right lane of 3 and cut in and out of trucks hoping I wouldn't notice she would take the double lane exit. I thought about rolling right up behind her at the long, long light at the end of that exit and just flashing my brights at her. Michigan plates on vehicle--rental from airport?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    From Lower Michigan I'm sure. :D

Saw 5 deer today - three cruising out of town and a couple a block away from home. Drive like an idiot here and you'll hit one. Drive normally and one will hit you. Just can't win.

Meanwhile DNR wants to spend a bunch of money to improve deer habitat. I think they need to import some more wolves and mountain lions and have an open season for about three years.
  • Options
    >From Lower Michigan I'm sure.

I suspect it was a rental car with Michigan plates. It was clean. Usually Michigan drivers are much more patient. When the trucks go below the 55 limit, you know the roadway is not good.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    It's the long daylight part of the year, and that confuses locals. I was out around 0530 this morning - there was a little light, but it was also cloudy and dreary, not the best visibility. Half the cars I saw had no lights - winner was an 06-07 Accord with no front bumper, no lights on, and didn't signal when turning. I bet the driver is very skilled.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    90 minutes of inconsiderate Russian drivers...a few horrible crashes, a few near misses, and lots of idiocy. Seems right of way issues, situational awareness, and not knowing how to turn are common there. Doesn't seem so different from here in that way. Opa!
  • Options
    Today was in the parking lot of a store with a very diverse clientele (isell will be familiar with it). One way parking lanes, blue Camry backs out in front of me, attempts to do a a 7 point wrong way turn to go down the lane the wrong way, on the wrong side of the road. My horn works. Gotta love the newbies, multiculturalism might be awesome for foodies, not so much for drivers. Time for higher standards for new residents who likely have no exposure to motoring before living here.

Also got stuck in a signaled turn lane that never got green. Was behind another car (Range Rover Sport with a windshield that looked like it got bit by a baseball) who wouldn't run it. Eventually, we did get green. Engineers, eh?
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Also got stuck in a signaled turn lane that never got green. ... Eventually, we did get green.

"Good things (also green things, apparently) come to those who wait."
  • Options
    Also keeps gas tax proceeds rolling in...
  • Options
    Well, not for the cars that shut down the engine while stopped. I know you love those. ;)
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    had a piece in today's local paper about the red light cameras in the area, and how much in fines has been produced. Someone did the math, and concluded that for the # of tickets issued, it was 1/2 of the population of the tri county area where the cameras are located. And something like 3/4 of the tickets were issued to people making (rolling) right on reds!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Then it's just time wasted by negligent traffic controls. Much better ;) :sick:
  • Options
    It would also be interesting to see any safety impacts, how dangerous the California stop really is, and how much of the revenues went to the camera operator, and the bribery used to get the contract.
  • Options
    there for sure are more rear end accidents, since plenty of people (me included) that would normally go through on yellow instead slam on the breaks to avoid getting caught. And if you get rearended, well that is someone elses fault!

• Options
    Two red light runners this morning - young blond thing in a white Range Rover Sport (these attract smart people) who went through at least 5 seconds after light change, and an old woman in a Saturn coupe who went through a few seconds late and was honked at. Also someone holding a phone in their hand and talking with a cop alongside them, LEO didn't even look.
  • Options
    And not to mention the instances of shortened yellows.

Cities should just put up the warning signs and have no cameras - might have some impact, and not create extorted wealth for crony capitalist camera operating firms.
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    how dangerous the California stop really is

Oh I wish I had a nickle for every time some idiot made a right turn on red without coming to a complete stop that I had to slam on the brakes or swerve to avoid.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    I thought that was the Jersey roll? Though maybe that just is at stop signs...

• Options
    Had two of these today... at the same light. First was an old Durango, which didn't even try to slow down before turning right on red after the light had been red a few seconds. Fortunately I anticipated he was going to do that and hadn't crossed the intersection yet, so no drama. Then a really old Civic hatchback does the same thing, only a little faster. Wasn't even looking to the left to see if there was oncoming traffic... which of course there was. (And it was 2 pm, sunny day so visibility was not a problem.) I was across the intersection then so had to slam on the brakes--and hit the horn also. She swerved right and for a minute I thought she was going to go into the carpool lane (on the right), but she clipped the median instead and kept going straight down the main ramp.

So, that's 10 cents worth.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I don't see that so much, here it seems the fail to yield issues happen no matter if there is a light, sign, or not. There is a similar local issue though, people (the fairer set seems to be the most common offender) who will pull out into fast moving traffic and expect people to slam on their brakes to let them in, rather than waiting for a legitimate gap.

Saw a couple of dumb U-turners lately, one a woman in a Prius who randomly slammed on her brakes and turned, car behind her had to brake sharply. And the best was a guy in an Eos who tried to throw a U-ey on a not so wide street, couldn't make it, hopped 2 wheels up on the sidewalk and drove that way for what seemed far too long.
  • Options
    xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    Saw a couple of dumb U-turners lately, one a woman in a Prius who randomly slammed on her brakes

Must have been stupid women Prius drivers yesterday.

Yesterday on I90, a Prius is blocking traffic in the the left lane. Car was weaving slightly. Cars ahead of me getting around in right lane over maybe 3-5 miles. My turn to get around, look to left when passing and saw a woman holding a cell phone to ear and had what looked like a wad of 8.5 x 11 printed papers on her steering wheel.
  • Options
    Speaking of that driver demographic, why is it the one that 9 times out of 10 crowds the crosswalk or juts out onto a sidewalk without looking both ways? I feel like I am playing some form of Russian roulette every time I walk or jog. It's virtually all the same type of driver, and AWD/4WD vehicles tend to be in the majority too.
  • Options
    Today's winner - dopey ponytailed blond thing in a silver Legacy wagon, weaving around in her lane and varying her speed as she was engrossed in conversation with her passenger. 4 lane road, so I move to pass, and she speeds up. I had to lay into it to get past, which in my car means some actual speed. I should have got in front of her and stood on my brakes. I knew I should have taken the other route - both of my choices are hell. I either get to take the surface streets and go through a cluster of 4 unsynchronized lights in 3 blocks, or wait in a backup caused by an on-ramp meter that is often on no matter the traffic flow and then deal with an idiotically managed set of lights on another road. Engineers? I call bull.

In just a few dozen hours I will be in Florida, seeing drivers who instead of being slow to the point of suspected mental defectiveness, are fast and wild to the point of suspected mental defectiveness. It will be fun.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I have been in Florida for a few days now, and the legends are true - driving here is insane. The places seems to resemble a second world country on a socio-economic basis, and the roads remind me of the Russian dashcam videos. No concept of lane discipline, no concept of driving with the flow of traffic, no concept of signals. You'll see people going 40 and 80 on the same road, random lanes, no signals. Lots more speedtraps compared to back home too, I'd guess the police forces in general are huge here due to various issues. It's an adventure.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    At least houses aren't crashing into you. (Inside Line)
  • Options
    Love the Russian videos, could watch them for hours. I'd like to take a trip there and just drive around to see what I can see.

I'm in Jacksonville today. I don't care for it - terrible distracted drivers, third world road quality, ridiculous traffic controls. In comparison, Daytona Beach was driving paradise.
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    I had a friend who was transporting an outhouse (yes an outhouse) many years ago when it fell off the trailer like in this video. Fortunately for him there was no oncoming traffic. But it did destroy a 150 year old outhouse.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    edited June 2012
    That's the pits. Was it a long drop?

In Trenary, home of korrpu, outhouse race you. (Long winters in the UP, eh?)
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    There are "outhouse" races held every winter in Chatanika, just north of Fairbanks on the Steese Highway. Fun times, but I have never made my own entry. ;)

2009 Chatanika Outhouse Races on Youtube :)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Now in GA, different drivers around here. Everyone speeds or goes way too slow. Yapping while driving is not only legal, but apparently encouraged, so everyone does it. No turn signals. A common move is to tailgate, pass, then slam on your brakes to exit/turn onto a side street. No lane is the fast lane, you just go where you can fit. This is not a first world location.

I saw something which might have been a political plant: Late model Escalade, petite blond thing "driving", varying her speed +/- 20mph, weaving in her lane, phone to her ear...and the boat was wearing a Romney bumper sticker. Some kind of false flag style game there? :shades:
  • Options
    Late last night, I20 east of Atlanta, battered old Previa probably moving at around 90-100, weaving all over, pretty sure he had it up on two wheels, then barrels down an off ramp on the shoulder. It's as close to Russia as I can get...
  • Options
    the_big_althe_big_al Member Posts: 1,079
    I have nothing like Fintail's stories, but had a Caliber almost turn into me while I was making a right turn into a Burger King.... except he was turning right as well, albeit from the left turn lane. Couldn't quite figure out how he managed to get in the left turn lane to turn right. He did so quickly and probably guessed I wasn't turning (despite my slowing and turn signal). It was a Dodge Caliber, however it was not driven with the highest caliber of driving skills...
  • Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    I posted this elsewhere but it clearly belongs in this topic - Grandpa's Advice.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    Back in the northwest, first day back on the daily grind - commute home featured an IS250 merging onto I90 at 39mph and a woman in a MDX going 25 in a 40 while fiddling with some kind of electronic device. Then saw a woman in a white A5 nearly hit a pedestrian who had the walk symbol in a crosswalk. I'm about to the point where I'd take the Florida insanity.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Speaking of Florida... why were ALL of their resident RV owners on I-70 in Missouri yesterday? I had to make a 100-mile roundtrip yesterday, all on I-70. Coming back (heading west), there were a TON of RVs towing small cars, all with Florida license plates.

Anyway, there are a lot of boat & RV owners around here, and we find that most of them seem keenly aware of the load they're carrying and braking distance. The biggest problem is usually the other vehicles that are NOT paying attention when they pass towing vehicles, and whip in right in front of them, or slide into a very small space in front of an RV or other vehicle towing something.

As I was driving yesterday, I came to section that said "road work ahead." An RV (towing) was already in front of me, and one behind me, when the sign "right lane closed 1/2 mile" appeared. I moved over to the left lane, as did the RV in front of me. The RV behind me stayed in the right lane and suddenly accelerated to get in front of me, and at the last moment, whipped in between me & the RV ahead of me. What was he thinking?? You know how traffic flow always slows way down when cutting down to one lane, boundaries marked with cones & concrete block. I slowed waaaay down for fear that crazy cat was going to ram into the back of the towed vehicle in front of him. Sheesh.

On my way to Chicago a few years ago, a boat-tower tried a similar stunt, only he wasn't so lucky. He whipped too quickly, couldn't slow down fast enough to avoid hitting the car in front of him, and, thankfully for me (I was right behind him) went straight into the grass median.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    That reminds me...I recall seeing but one RV on any highway in FL. Off season might be hot, but it cuts out that nightmare, I guess.

Around here, you'll see a 40ft motorhome in the far left lane, and a git in a big diesel truck pulling a boat going 80 in the right lane. I remember years ago, on a state highway, seeing a ~25 foot boat detach from the trailer and skid down the road. Left a long trail and a big mess, luckily no cars were struck.

Today's winner - Elantra on an entrance ramp, yellow signed at 35, going about 26, death grip on the wheel like she was driving on the 'ring. I guess the "Limited" badge means limited to 30mph.
  • Options
    Add to the list of undercapable tow vehicles and simple-minded drivers the pick-em-up trucks pulling around trailers with larger pieces of mowing machines and tools on them for lawn services. --or even the trailers full of mulch.

I watched one miss seeing a yellow light and he ran right through the red light with the brakes on. The truck is not capable of stopping a trailer and itself with the tires it has. He hit the car starting to pull into the intersection (wasn't she looking left and right before starting out?).

Maybe some of the 350s and larger ones are able, but the typical little lawn service has been started with whatever the guy had available as he tries to start a business to replace the real job he lost here in Ohio the last several years as work left the state.

• Options
    >I guess the "Limited" badge means limited to 30mph.

Cute. :)

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Today I saw the opposition to the Romney Escalade spotted in Florida. Today I saw a Tundra 4x4 in traffic. It was going about half the speed limit, left lane, as a steady stream went around it. Sticker read "Veterans for Obama". I swear it was another false flag.

Miserable commute home, literally took 100% longer than usual - but no crashes or closed roads to cause it, just SLOW people and controls negligently maintained by high paid low work so-called engineers.. While on foot, the crosswalk crowders or violators I noticed were someone I won't describe in an Acura TL, someone I won't describe in an Escape, and a scary lurcher airhead in a H2 who was scaring everyone around her.
  • Options
    I solved the crowded commute problem, fin: At work by 0715, leave to go home at 2330. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    hammerheadhammerhead Member Posts: 907
    edited June 2012
    I'm lucky. Rush hour is going in the opposite direction on my way to work, and the rush is usually over before I'm ready to leave. Smooth sailing most of the time. Wife has to be at work at 0630, so she dodges the bullet as well.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I go to work before 0600 - usually a nice jaunt, but often idiots are out even then. Sadly around here, even by 1400 or so, the nightmare has started. Too many cars for the roads, poor traffic controls, mindless slow oblivious drivers.
  • Options
    Makes me glad I can work out of my home office most of the time, don't have to deal with the rush-hour crazies. I see more than enough inconsiderate behavior outside of that. Pretty good this morning though... worst thing was a guy in an old Corolla stopped ahead of me at a stop light, appeared to be looking straight ahead but must have dozed off as he didn't budge when the light changed. After waiting a reasonable time for his brain to engage, I gave him a short honk and he moved off.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    It's 18 hours a day dopes here. Raining today, which will jam things even more - for a place where it seems to rain 300 days a year, people treat it like glaze ice.

The Corolla probably put that guy to sleep :shades:
  • Options
    What distances are we talking about? I go 7 miles, wife goes about 11, and several routes we can take.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I am closer to 4 each way. 2 routes, each with pain which evens them out. I'd bus it, but the morning service is inefficient and the evening would get me home literally half an hour later than driving. The way I see it, I am paying for insurance anyway, and gas isn't that expensive.

Miserable weather today, not too much dumbness other than a woman in a newish A4 who was crawling along, being sure to keep a huge following distance from the car miles ahead of her - and then turned without a signal. Safe driving.
  • Options
    Drove a bit in town today, both cars. Not much bad other than slooow Sunday drivers. I kind of miss FL/GA just for the higher speed limits and faster arterial speeds.

Did have a dope in a Vibe blindly pull in front of me off a side street, I was going about 40, I had to brake, then when I shot around him when a lane opened up, he was gesturing and yelling. Yeah, it's my fault, you old [non-permissible content removed]. Also a winner in a new F30 3er opened his door into traffic as I was approaching in my fintail...I bet I could have taken that door off with no damage to my car...

I sped a bit today, proving my experiment again...if I go 10-15 over, I make all the lights I can't make if I stay within 5 of the limit. Nice engineering.
  • Options
    Busing it just doesn't work here - they don't go where I need to be, nor when I need to be there. I'd have to transfer at least once, maybe twice to get within half a mile. And I'm usually carrying too much stuff - I'd have to pay double. ;)
  • Options
    I have the same issue. My drive which can be done in under 10 minutes in light traffic, sometimes requires a transfer depending on time or day. Too much hassle, gas isn't that expensive.
  • Options
    A little fun on the way home... First, beige Sienna, driver I won't describe, death grip on the wheel, random lane change to the left on a divided suburban 40mph road, then goes about 30. Also had an old Lexus GS behind me in traffic...about 3" behind me, going 40 in a 35 - speed of the car in front of me. I can't go through the traffic in front of me. It was also beige and had the glazed over headlights of neglect...so the driver is that winning combo of boring, jerky, and lazy. Two crosswalk crowders - one a woman in a CRV, the other a man in a M3 (who got a comment from this pedestrian). Also saw a bitter beer faced greybeard with a skullcap helmet on a big cruiser thing pull out right in front of an Explorer...underestimating his roadkill potential. And topped it off with an S5 going about 60 on my 30mph street, never a cop around.
  • Options
    That's quite a day!

My most interesting road tidbit for today was that a State Trooper was perched just under the crest of a small rise in the road this morning looking for speeders to catch unawares. Thankfully, 58(ish) in a 55 didn't qualify. ;)

Of course, I haven't driven home yet, so I may have just jinxed myself and be in for a helluva run this evening. :blush: