Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestyle - Taurus X

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,306
    you are right, it is possible. i didn't even know the made a 4x2 explorer. they wouldn't sell around here. they've got to subsidize that 0 for 60 somehow.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    At least the Freestyle will start around $26K, instead of the Pacifica's $31K. Then again, the Pacifica has huge deals on it in terms of cash back and 0 for 60.
  • danthony75danthony75 Member Posts: 7
    Hello ANT14~
    Could you email me privately? I'd like to ask you a question-thanks!
    josanneblonanthony@yahoo.com
    From-
    Dan
  • nelsoncmnelsoncm Member Posts: 103
    So if Freestyle is the replacement for Sable and Taurus wagons, are they going bye-bye? I had a 2000 Sable wagon and I loved the space and the ride, but hated it being in the shop every 2 or 3 months with some problem or other. I broke down and got an import wagon and got great reliability, but a rougher ride and way less space. The Freestyle looks intriguing but I don't need AWD. How much longer will Ford be producing Sable and Taurus wagons?
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    "So if Freestyle is the replacement for Sable and Taurus wagons, are they going bye-bye? I had a 2000 Sable wagon"

It's not exactly the replacement for them, it's an alternative overall. The Taurus/Sables will continue life in a different mission once the Futura is introduced. Ford has stated the Taurus/Sable will be kept around for fleet sales, just like there's Malibu, and Malibu classic. This helps for resale values/depreciation, etc.

The Freestyle will be available in FWD if you do not require AWD. No official word as to when the Taurus/Sables will be kept around, but I haven't seen proof that it'll be dead by decades end either.

"Could you email me privately? I'd like to ask you a question-thanks!"

Anthony, you can just ask here if that's easier, even if it's a bit off topic.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Well, if Taurus/Sable stick around for fleets, there is no guarantee the wagon will AND that doesn't help the retail customer pursuing the wagon one iota even if it does.
    Since some of the wagon's are used in rental fleets, there's a high chance they'll stick around. Actually, Ford sells the most station wagons (between Sable, Taurus and Focus) than any other manufacturer's. NOT a fact they wish to spread to the world since you won't hear them say that. :)

Ford could drop the wagon offering for the Taurus/Sable to purposely make people upgrade to the Freestyle, but (not couting rebates) if you look at the current Sable/Tauri pricing, I personally would dish out a few more bucks and get the Freestyle.
    Minus rebates, I'd much rather spend extra $$$ and upgrade to the Freestyle.
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    is a truck, Ford says. Ford Division intends to classify the 2005 Freestyle sport wagon as a light truck for corporate average fuel economy purposes. The Freestyle qualifies because its fold-down third seat creates a flat floor, according to Ford.

Source: Automotive News 1/26/04
    that's a mistake. Otherwise the name would have started with an E, not an F. F is for Ford's car line- Focus, Futura, Five Hundred, Freestar, Freestyle. The E is for the Ford truck line- Escape, Explorer, Expedition, Excursion, Econoline. I think the Freestyle should be classified as a car mainly because it is based on the Five Hundred sedan and doesn't have much ground clearance (from the looks of it) It seems more of an extended wagon than a truck to me.
    jchan2, it's no mistake. Just as Subaru is doing with its Outback, the Freestyle will be classified FOR EPA PURPOSES (and Corporate Average Fuel Economy) as a truck. For marketing purposes it is either a crossover or a car. Wouldn't surprise me if the Five Hundred also ends up meeting truck standards...
    DAnthony, have you thought of looking at Ford's product kits to find those minor items. Like how the rear seat foldable has the numbers diagrams to show customer's in what order they need to fold the seat? Or how the side front doors have that rising interior panel so defroster/air circulates to the side windows? The Conversation mirror that flips down so your able to keep an eye on the rear passenger's? Or those the details your looking for?

JChan,
    "Otherwise the name would have started with an E, not an F"

Because the vehicle is car-based, it's primarily viewed as an F before being viewed as an E. Just like what the Volvo XC70 or Audi AllSport are viewed first as a car, over an SUV. And it's Ford's way of letting people know that it's not just another SUV again.

Also, they'll be a Mazda6 platform derived mid-size unibody SUV debuting around 2007 (no specifics yet), that itself might possibly by named with an "E", to further differentiate it from the Freestyle since it'll be more Honda Pilot like. That vehicle might eventually replace the Explorer near the end of the decade (depending upon Explorer sales trends).
    Corporate Average Fuel Economy, (CAFE) rules are implemented by NHTSA. The National highway Transportation Safety Administration is seeking to change the definitions of cars and light trucks. Most sport utility vehicles now fall under the classification of light trucks, although they are primarily used as passenger vehicles. Heavier vehicles are exempt from fuel standards. New standards for light trucks require an increase in MPG from the current 20.7, in effect since 1996, to 22.2 MPG starting in 2007.
    The required CAFE standards for automobiles remains at 27.5 MPG since 1990. NHTSA has said it is considering new fuel economy standards for light duty trucks and SUVs based on their weight. Environmentalists said such standards would encourage automobile manufacturers to build heavier vehicles to take advantage of requirements that are more lax.

It appears Ford is trying to avoid any requirement that Freestyle meet CAFE regs. in the automobile classification wherein NHTSA has said it must meet 27.9 MPG and therefore construct this vehicle to meet government regs. that would enable the classification of light truck and therefore only 20.7 MPG.

In the end I don't think any purchaser will care what it is classified as
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    F = Car line, E = Truck line, Then is the F-series a CAR?????

Buy the way here's a look at another wagon that is out there. (you need 2 min to watch the commercial, but it's worth it.) If you want to see the commercial before the Superbowl. Honda is going to re-introduce the Accord wagon and they are using the Euro version's commercial during the Superbowl.
     Link = Accord Commercial
    One added note - NO Camera tricks, and took 606 takes to get it right.

Odie
    I have heard NOTHING that Honda is re-introducing an Accord wagon in the US. Are you SURE about this? What's your source?
    was car and driver (last issue), and the accord has had a wagon every year as an available model, just not with the new body style after 2003. The car and driver art. said because of all the cross-overs, honda's larger wagon will fit in nicely. I take anything in car and driver with a grain of salt, but the commercial is neat, I might just look at an AWD version (maybe) for a replacement for my Escape around 2006-2007

Odie
    That commercial has been out on the net for over a year. And to my knowledge, there are NO plans to re-introduce the Accord wagon in the US. A Google News search turned up exactly nothing. Not one newspaper article. Not one magazine article. The number one fan site for Honda's also has NO information on any new Honda Accord wagon in its rumor section.

I just came from the Detroit Auto Show. Guess what was NOT at Honda's exhibit? What's the chance of that?
    I'm actually looking forward to the Philly Show, but who knows what I will see there.

Odie
  • grbeckgrbeck Member Posts: 2,358
    That commercial uses the European Accord, which is sold here as the Acura TSX. If Honda were going to reintroduce the Accord wagon in this country, it would have to develop a new model based on the American Accord.

And it would have to shoot a new commercial, which might require another 606 takes.

I haven't been to the Philly show in a few years, and if this winter weather continues, I probably won't make this one, either. The Philly show usually features last year's concept cars.
    "Then is the F-series a CAR?????"

The F-series is considered a Heritage model, meaning it keeps it's name...no matter what it starts with. These include Mustang, Tbird as well.
  • ang35ang35 Member Posts: 14
    This may have been answered somewhere already...but when will the Freestyle be available to the public (for purchase)? Just wondering what the timeframe is on this vehicle...thanks!
    All that I have seen specific as to the Freestyle is that it will go sale during the second half of this year.

http://www.courier-journal.com/business/news2004/01/04/biz-front-- ford04-8423.html
    According to my papers, it states July 12th is JOB 1 Date. So I'm guessing around August is when you'll start seeing them in dealerships.
    heritage models keep their names. All other cars get a name change. F for the car series (Focus, Freestar, Five Hundred, Futura, Freestyle) and E for the truck series (Escape, Explorer, Expedition, Excursion, Econoline)
    New information on Ford's website:

http://www.fordvehicles.com/freestyle/index.asp?bhcp=1
  • chakachaka Member Posts: 1
    I am going to take a shot at Ford here! I went to the Providence, R.I. 2004 Northeast Auto show last night and they did not have the Freestyle at the event! Ford is very late to the crossover wagon market to begin with....they are behind Caddy's SRX( which is a very nice vehicle ) and Chrysler with the Pacifica. Do they want to eventually sell the Freestyle or not! I am one frustrated car shopper. Shame on you Ford Motor Company for not taking the opportunity to market this new vehicle!
  • dave989dave989 Member Posts: 21
    im told that theres only a certain number of Freestyles right now and there all being sent to different auto show's so they cant fill all the auto shows since they have a ltd. supply. There still fixing any problems with the freestyle, and doing final testing. Theyve increased the endurance tests lately(in hopes of finding any quality problems before production)
    Same goes with the Mustang, which is currently undergoing winter testing at Ford's Dearborn proving grounds.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    hope it shows up at the Philly show this weekend!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

With all due respect, Providence, Rhode Island is hardly a major auto show. Same like Charleston, West Virginia. There are only a very few pre-mass production samples out there. They can't be everywhere. Besides, you can't buy a Freestyle yet... Fall. This fall.
    They only have like what, 60 Freestyles to scatter all around the country? So, they pick the largest shows and ship about 2 Freestyles per show. 2 to Detroit (including the cut-away) and 2 to Chicago. Maybe other large ones, but otherwise, the other 58 are under going final testing at Ford's test grounds in Detroit.
    I bet the Chicago examples are the same ones that were in Detroit. But San Diego and Salt Lake City both happened the same time as Detroit, if memory serves, and each of those had a Ford Five Hundred (and probably a Freestyle or two each as well)>
    that has happened in the past. The Sienna and Quest were the same ones in Detroit as the ones in Chicago later on.
    is one of the laregest on the east coast, so the Freestyle sould be there.

Odie
    did they have a Five Hundred or any of GM's cars?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    has the Freestyle and the 500 (not to mention a way cool GT, and the new Mustang).

As to the Freestyle, you could look but not touch. But, it looks real good in person (very clean and upscale), and the interior looks very nice, more "Lincolnish" than "explorerish". Hopefully the seats are as comfy as they look, which is similar to the Lincoln LS.

The interior seems huge, especially the cargo area, which looks more like a minivan than an SUV. Nice low step in height in the back. Should be a good package for people with large dogs.

Assuming the road manners, and the performance with the 3.0l, are up to par, this could be a serious hit if Ford keeps the price reasonable and the qualtiy where it needs to be (that is, not another Escape or Focus intro).

They should have gotten a bigger engine from the get go (not that it neccessarily will need it, but to compete with the competition), but I would probably wait a year for the bugs to be worked out anyway.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I'm sure the engine power should be sufficient, and quality should be better than a first year Escape or Focus.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I don't know about the Freestyle, but I've heard a lot of buzz on the street about the GT and the new Mustang. And I don't hang around car nuts when I'm not on Town Hall.

Not that y'all are nuts.... just car nuts :-)

Steve, Host
    Ford Freestyle's cousin from Mercury is to be named later this week:
    http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0402/03/b01-54129.htm
    wonder what'll the Freestyle's cousin be called. Darn! If Pontiac dropped Montana and left SV6, then it could have been the Mercury Montana. (any other name suggestions?)
  • grbeckgrbeck Member Posts: 2,358
    Surprisingly, Ford had the Freestyle at the Harrisburg Auto Show. It looked great - very nice styling with a classy interior. It was attracting lots of attention. I can see this one having the same impact on the crossover segment that the original Explorer did on the SUV segment.
  • maxima101maxima101 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Will the Freestyle have a DVD navigation option? This is important to me in my next car purchase.

Thanks!
    I haven't heard about a DVD Nav, but it may be reserved for the Mercury version.
  • prettyslick65prettyslick65 Member Posts: 7
    Just came across this forum while I was looking for more info on the Freestyle. I went to the Philadelphia Auto Show last weekend and they had one there. I was very impressed. Quality was excellent and room was impressive. I've been driving a Ford Ranger for 14 years now and was considering an Explorer, until I saw the Freestyle. Plenty of room in the back with the 3rd row of seats folded down for the largest of dog crates, allowing for plenty of leg room in the 2nd row. The Ford rep said price should range from 22k-30K and if I remember correctly he said they are looking at somewhere around 28mpg! Mostly because of the CVT tranny. My only concern would be the reliability and durability of this new tranny, and I hope they offer cloth interior because I hate leather. Can't wait till Sept, when they hit the showroom floors.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    The Freestyle will have cloth seats standard. I'd be very surprised if they don't top out above $30K. If they don't get near 28MPG I will be very disappointed. My '04 Sienna is rated at 27MPG highway, and it's a larger, heavier vehicle than the Freestyle. I would consider the Freestyle as a replacement for the Sienna. Although I like it, I don't really need a vehicle quite this big, and would like something a little more "car-like". We'll see....
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Interestingly, GM announced that they might bring over the Holden Adventra as a Pontiac here soon. It looks like the crossover wars could get serious!
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    According to the March issue of Automobile magazine, even BMW may be getting into the crossover game, with a V5 model in 2007. Everybody is getting into the act! I predict that crossovers like the Freestyle will become all the rage in the next few years.
  • nedc2nedc2 Member Posts: 192
    Ford have announced that they will be offering a Mercury version of the Freestar, but they as yet haven't announced a name or given any indication of when it is to be launched. I just hope that its styling has its own identity, and it doensn't look like an "Mountaineer Lite" s the Freestyle already looks like an "Explorer Lite". It should look like a sporty Montego Estate, it would give those of us who want a wagon's practicality but not the sport-ute look something to consider. Besides, Mercury division desperately needs an identity of its own.
    "50% of anticipated sales will be with the CVT because of early complaints by journalists and even some Ford engineers that the 3.0 liter Duratec is underpowered"

"Perhaps just five percent of production of all four vehicles (Montego/Five hundred/Freestyle & un-named cousin to the Freestyle) will wind up in rental fleets".

"Pricing hasn't been announced but one Ford Exec. said a loaded Freestyle with AWD will cost about what a two wheel-drive Pacifica costs before any other options are added, or about $30,000".

Look for the Montego photo:
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6825&pf=1