Options

Ford Freestyle - Taurus X

Comments

• Options
    bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    Pardon the correction - it's 32 front 34 rear.
  • Options
    northlakesnorthlakes Member Posts: 368
    Sorry, this black Freestyle is up in Minnesota. Enjoy yours! It looked nice driving by. :shades:
  • Options
    Right you are! :shades:
  • Options
    dbell1dbell1 Member Posts: 40
    I wasn't even considering the Freestyle until I test drove one. I would have loved the Subaru Forester, but it's too small for us and the Toyota Highlander was not comfortable to drive (seat bothered).

We loved the way the Freestyle handled and the price is right. My only concern is if the back seat access is low enough for a German Shepherd with hip displaysia. Does anyone have experience with hauling big, shedding dogs in one?

Also - we like the captain's chairs instead of the bench. Can anyone let me know if the bench seat is comfortable enough for long trips? We have a Jeep Cherokee Sport now, so anything would be an improvement! :P

Thanks for any advice you can give.
  • Options
    lanbabalanbaba Member Posts: 45
    I've have my FS AWD limited for over 3 months now and it has around 1700 miles on it. But the mileage seems not good as the numbers I've seen here. Could any of you let me know how many gallons gas you added to fill up the tank after you see the low fuel sign?
    currently my combination mileage is 19.5mpg, but 2/3 are logged on highway, and i am not an aggressive driver. :confuse:
  • Options
    globecanvasglobecanvas Member Posts: 45
    My AWD mileage has been steadily improving, which I think a lot of people have experienced here. I reset the calculator after each tank. My combined mileage (about 1/3 highway conditions) went from about 18.5 at first to about 22.5 now (at 5000 miles).

Incidentally, don't forget that A/C is a major mpg killer ... I expect a final improvement in the mpg when summer is over. (Our other car averages 6 mpg worse in summer because of A/C.)
  • Options
    428cj428cj Member Posts: 52
    Deasun, your Bernese Mountain and Wolfhound would ride comfortably in the back with the third row down. The tinted glass would protect their eyes from the UV rays and you could put food or water in the cup holders.

I would recommend the second row bench seat to keep them in their place. The second row captain's chairs would work too if you installed the Invisible Fence between the second and third row and plugged it into the rear power port.

The auxiliary air would keep them temperature controlled so they would not need to pant or shiver. Skip the moonroof in favor of the Conversation Mirror so you can keep an eye on them.

The Magnum would not be a good choice. The roof is too low for dogs your size and they could suffer canine claustrophobia. You don't want PETA at your door. Also, no self-respecting fido would be caught dead in a Magnum, even if it does resemble a hearse.

You can select from a wide selection of suitable DVDs for them to watch if you add this option. Lassie and Benji are preferred. The Wizard of Oz is very good because all dogs understand why Toto jumped out of that balloon rather than return to Kansas. Do not screen Old Yeller unless you want depressed animals on your hands.

If those two mate, can I get one of the "crossover" puppies?
  • Options
    deasundeasun Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the reply.
    If a miracle happens and they mate then you'll be the first to know. :)
    Now all I got to figure out is what is with ford and canceling this car ?
    Anyone know the reason?
  • Options
    jschreiberjschreiber Member Posts: 50
    My AWD also had medicore mileage until around 3500 miles. Now at 10,000 miles I get 22-23 mpg in mixed hiway stop and go with AC on. 24 mpg with AC off.

Never ran it that low for low fuel.

By the way no probs and love the vehicle.
  • Options
    frosty5frosty5 Member Posts: 4
    I purchased an '05 Freestyle SE in April. Silver Frost (hence "Frosty") exterior, Light Gunmetal cladding, with a Shale interior. Nice stock combination with the black handles, mirrors and rack supports. So far, it's without a doubt the most comfortable, efficient, and practical vehicle I've ever owned. In the very subjective area of styling, it appears to be a reserved, confident, and utilitarian design, without any gimicky flair, and it grows on you. It should probably be termed an "Estate Wagon" or some such, just to give it some distance (read elevation) from all the other stereo-typical terms. Definitely not a van (no sliding doors), couldn't be an SUV (road clearance too low & towing capacity car-like), maybe more like what is traditionally thought of as a station wagon (though seating height and cargo space are more like an SUV)!
    Oh, well..."crossover" just doesn't do it though, because it's not very definitive. Call it what you will, it's a great combination of features at a very reasonable price on today's market.
    Mileage over 5K miles has averaged a respectable 22.3 mpg. The best tank was 28.35 mpg traveling at about a constant 75 mph with the air conditoning off during the first long road trip from TN to upstate NY. Worst tank was 19.35 mpg around town. But mostly around 22.
    Everybody has a few things that are minor irritations, but overall it scores high on interior comfort, exterior visibility (nice big mirrors), ride comfort, handling (for a vehicle its size), and safety. The auto-locks are kind of a pain in the neck, but I've tried to get used to it, justifying it as safety related (wouldn't want to invite a car-jacker at a red-light, would we?). The dark dash dials could use better illumination during the day since they are so deep in the dash, but flippin' the lights on helps a little. Safety-wise it appears to be better to run with lights on during the day anyway, as some of the recent posts have pointed out. The clock is really dim, too! What's with that?? There may be a "stick-on" clock coming. Where's a good place to put it?
    With the third row down and the 2nd row captain's chairs stowed, a large desk will fit in with the short legs removed, and flipped over. Kinda wish the cargo deck was a little more horizontal instead of the slight incline, but the 2nd row seating height advantage is worth the sacrifice, and when car camping it's obvious which way to setup the sleeping bag!!
    The drawtite hitch worked out pretty good, though in the end the nice guys at the local Sears Auto snugged the bolts up to the specified torque for me. It does hide well, especially compared to some you see on SUV's. Practically disappears when not in use. This is a replacement vehicle for a '93 Ranger pickup, so the trailer hitch was a necessity for the (few) things that are too big/dirty for the back. Hook up the trailer! Recent posts regarding crossbars for the roof rack have been helpful, too!
    Performance-wise, the 3.0 is enough for me. The cruise control "resume test" mentioned earlier in these posts does a good job of demonstrating what the people that programmed the acceleration were thinking, and this must be conservative! Also, it's interesting to note that there is no red-line on the tachometer! Let 'er roll!!
    It will easily do better than 100mph, though how much better I don't have to know (unless somebody offers!)
    The CVT is one of the biggest pleasant surprises so far. Though a little weird to begin with (like anything new), it provides such smooth acceleration throughout the speed ranges, that now it feels uncomfortable to drive the conventional A/T ('02 Honda Accord). All that revving and shifting....Downhill dynamic braking is good too, especially compared to what a conventional A/T would do if used for that purpose. Overall a winner, with optimistic confidence that the Ford Motor Company will sell this technology for a long while. I believe that if given a chance, most people would prefer the CVT, recognising it's superior optomization of the rpm/torque requirement over all the ranges typically driven, and the generally seamless acceleration.
    The stock tires are probably only acceptable. It will be interesting to experience the handling and ride changes that take place with a good set of Michelins when these wear out. Probably a big improvement based on previous experience with other vehicles, but I'm not going to say "I can't wait for these to wear out"! I hope that people will follow-up when it comes tire-changin'-time and let us know their choices and thoughts.
    So, that's my two cents worth! Many thanks to the participants of this forum for their participation and willingness to share both the good points and bad. We got a winner here!
  • Options
    Interesting that you mention the tires. The one demerit in Consumer Reports' test of the Freestyle was tire grip in their crash avoidance maneuver test. The car overall got "excellent" in crash and rollover tests, "very good" in routine handling, but only "fair" in emergency handling, due entirely to tire grip. I am willing to say that I'm looking forward to the OEM tires wearing out! I was thinking about replacing with a thinner tire to improve MPG. Incidentally, CR got 27 MPG highway with their AWD test model.

Here's the 1st paragraph from CR's test writeup (I think I am allowed to quote a "short excerpt" .. if this isn't kosher I hope the hosts will just delete this part of the post instead of the whole thing):

Ford’s new car-based SUV is a seven-passenger wagon version of the Five Hundred sedan. As such, the driving experience is like that of a sedan rather than a traditional SUV. The ride is comfortable, and the tall seating position gives occupants a commanding view out. The Freestyle also has a fair amount of passenger space. Access to the third row is similar to that in a minivan, and better than the narrow paths in other three-row SUVs. Acceleration from the 3.0-liter V6 is sufficient, but the engine is noisy. Limited tire grip and the lack of available stability control restrict the Ford’s handling limits. Reliability is still unknown.
  • Options
    bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I agree that the speedo and clock are hard to read in the day, especially with sunglasses. I wish the thin green LED would become wide high contrast LCD. Other than that, the car is great. I have about 14K miles. My best hwy is only 25mpg, but that's with the AC on and 75+mph. We'll see how the mileage is this fall.

I also like the CVT, but it's a little different in that when you lift your foot off the gas to slow down before a light for example, it doesn't immediately slow down like in an auto or manual transmission. It keeps going at the same speed for a second or two. Now I'm in the habit of taking my foot off the gas a little earlier then I normally would, but it's not a big deal. I'm a manual fan, but I like the CVT over a regular auto any day.

Another wish of mine is that the 2nd row bench was on rails and could move fore and aft because there's plenty of space in the second row, but if it could move forward, then I could give row 3 passengers a couple more inches of space while still leaving row 2 with plenty of room.

The main thing I like is that it handles and rides much better than an SUV or minivan, but it still has lots of space inside for the outside dimensions. Plus the car is solid as a rock.
  • Options
    as350b2as350b2 Member Posts: 2
    We bought a new Freestyle SE FWD in July during the A-plan discounts. We got about $3500 off MSRP, which was great. We were not looking for a Freestyle, we were looking at a new Explorer to replace our '01 Explorer V8. After the testdrive of the Explorer, our salesman saw me casually looking at the FS, and remarked how we should test one also. We did, and I think that this is one of those rare vehicles that sells itself on a test drive.

My wife really likes the handling and quiet ride. I like the CVT and the fuel economy, compared to our V8 Explorer. The CVT truly is amazing, although the (what I call it) simulated coasting downshifts are a bit strange feeling. When it doesn't downshift on coast, it does seem to roll forever with no throttle. That has to be great for MPG, although a little hard on brakes.

So far the car has been great, it is quite the departure from a "real" SUV, but a good departure. The seating position is elevated so you don't feel so low like a Honda civic. Our kids love the second row seats for some reason, the separate bucket seats and console kind of make them feel "special" I guess?

I hope more people discover what a great car this is.
  • Options
    reverend12reverend12 Member Posts: 8
    This is a really nice vehical, Rides great gets great gas mileage and it isn't an SUV. I'm really happy with it. Finally got the wife outta a truck. Motor has plenty of power and fit and finish is excellent. I drive a Cobra Mustang, and a Ranger pickup. Ford is seemingly doing a pretty good job on their vehicals as far as I'm concerned.

REV
  • Options
    marcopolomarcopolo Member Posts: 4
    I brought a titanium green FWD Limited in mid-July on the family plan deal. It doesn’t have a sun roof or DVD, but everything else. I didn’t want AWD because we live in Southern California and will never need it. It also gets better mileage, and is less expensive. I have been reading the forum for awhile before we bought, and we did go comparison shopping, but we came back to the Freestyle. We traded in a ’95 Windstar.

Some of the first things I did was override the automatic lock feature when it is put in park, and I got the windows tinted. The rear passenger windows were tinted the same as the back windows, and the front windows were a light tint. We did get the pebble interior, and yes we have significant glare off the dash. Another post recommended polarized sun glasses, and that worked wonders.

We took it on a week long road trip from Southern California to Northern California, up the I-5 and across to the coast in the bay area. The mileage was around 21.5 over the 1300 mile trip, which was mostly freeway driving. The average speed on I-5 was between 80 and 85 MPH. I believe that the mileage will increase at more reasonable freeway speeds, and without air conditioning going all of the time.

The car had 4 people for the long round trip, and up to seven people for short trips while up in San Jose. We originally had planned to take 5 people, but one of my daughter’s friends got sick before the trip. I don’t know if we would have had enough room inside for 5 people and luggage for everybody. In the Windstar, we were easily able to fit a lot of stuff. My daughter actually sat in the rear seats with her friend, had the center seat folded down, and watched a DVD on the computer.

The power was fine going over the Grapevine, and most any hill we encountered. The acceleration, while not blinding, is better than I expected. Much better than the Windstar. The daytime temperature in the valley was 105F, going down to about 100F at 7 PM, and the air conditioning worked great the whole way.

There are a couple of complaints that I have. It is difficult to see the end of the hood when turning into a parking stall. The color of the car blends in too well with the color of the road and scenery, and along with the glare (even with polarized glasses), it is sometimes difficult to see the front corners of the hood while parking. I also don’t like the gas cap on the passenger side. Every car I have ever owned had the gas cap on the driver’s side. I was told by the salesman that in the safety crash tests, it was safer on that side. I find that hard to believe.

Otherwise, we love the car. No problems yet!
  • Options
    saramsaram Member Posts: 34
    Still loving our SEL FWD FreeStyle. Have just under 8,000 miles on it since early March 05.
    Was on I-75 last night driving down to Bass Pro Shop in Cincinnati. I got stuck behind a semi truck and I am waiting and waiting for this car to pass me on the left, so I can pass the semi......It took forever. The driver and passenger of the car passing me were giving the car the once over, over and over again! Guess they had never seen a FreeStyle before and were amazed!!
    Actually starting to see more around our small town. Ours was the first and now there are two more. One exactly like ours and one green one. They are an awesome drive.
    Take care and drive careful fellow FreeStyle drivers!
    :shades:
  • Options
    nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    Did you drop the hammer after they passed you so they could get another view of your Freestyle as you blew by them?
    :-)

The passing gear (gear?) for the Freestyle is amazing!!

I have yet to really open this thing up seeing as how I only have 1200 miles on it, but I tweak the throttle every now and then.
  • Options
    Good comments. i agree that the Continental tires are mediocre. Later on, I intend to replace them with 225/65/17. These have just about the same radius and total size as the 225/60/18 on the Limited AWD. The softer ride of the 65 series will be retained and a little more poise from the 225 width. There are three tires available in this size: Goodyear, Michelin, Bridgestone or is it Dunlop.
  • Options
    It is Goodyear, Michelin, and Bridgestone at present for the 225/65-17 sizes. One online tire seller had customer survey results giving the Bridgestones the edge in snow traction, the Michelins were next, followed by the Goodyears. There are many other characteristics to look for, so do your homework as always. :shades:
  • Options
    hfm123hfm123 Member Posts: 2
    Just wanted to let you know that you can disable the automatic lock feature. There are directions in the owners manual. I did this probably the second day I had it because it was so annoying.

My husband has the automatic locks but as soon as you put the car in PARK, all of the locks open.

I love my car but wish it had daytime running lights. I drove a Subaru and turned my lights on once and never touched the switch again. It has been a hard transition to remember to turn the lights off but the incessant beeping helps.
  • Options
    428cj428cj Member Posts: 52
    You WILL need the AWD if you go over Grapevine in a snow storm.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,346
    regarding the gas filler location, i believe it is true. there are less collisions involving the right rear fender than the left. grand marquis' have the filler on the left. the owners might forget their way back to the driver's side.
    funny thing is, my wife drives an escape and the filler is on the left.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    lulu54usalulu54usa Member Posts: 9
    I am not completely sure but I think if you forget to turn the headlights off they will shut off after a few minutes. Check it out... :shades:
  • Options
    scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    "The one demerit in Consumer Reports' test of the Freestyle was tire grip in their crash avoidance maneuver test. The car overall got "excellent" in crash and rollover tests, "very good" in routine handling, but only "fair" in emergency handling, due entirely to tire grip. I am willing to say that I'm looking forward to the OEM tires wearing out! I was thinking about replacing with a thinner tire"

And what do you suppose it would be like with even skinnier tires?

Can I be named beneficiary of your life insurance policy?
  • Options
    Silly person, tire grip depends primarily on tire manufacture characteristics (materials and process), very little on the difference between a 215 and 225 tire.
  • Options
    You will note that the gas filler location is usually on the opposite side from the exhaust for most cars. Dual exhausts don't count. :shades:
  • Options
    scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    I'd say the term "silly person" would be best applied to someone who wants to put narrower than recommended tires on a vehicle with that already has traction issues as mentioned by every tester .
  • Options
    I have to agree with scooter on this one.

The tire contact patches are getting smaller with a skinny tire....thus creating less grip on the road surface.

BUT

A skinny tire will work better in the snow than a wide tire.
  • Options
    In the same line of tire, changing a 225 for a 215 will result in less contact area and therefore less grip. But seriously, tire grip is primarily determined by the tire manufacture characteristics, and a higher quality 215 tire with sharper shoulders will grip better than the stock 225s. T
  • Options
    I like the gas filler on the pass side because when I go to the pump the lines are shorter for pulling up to the left of a pump.
  • Options
    Just to note that the standard tire for the Freestyle 17" rims is the 215 tire. My traction has been fine. The Freestyle is a well poised vehicle.

Contact patch, tread design, tire compound, and match to suspension design, all affect traction. The mentioned replacements for the OEM tire may improve on one or more of these characteristics.

One reason for the Freestyle recommended 32 PSI in front, and 34 PSI in back is to get a little more grip (and perhaps more patch) on the front end. When Ford made Contours, the standard cars had a 34F/34R inflation recommendation. The sportier SE had a 31F/34R recommendation. :shades:
  • Options
    My reason for wanting to change tires has little to do with "grip", although that is important and the Continentals don't rate very high in that area according to Tire Rack. My reason is smoothness and quiet on coarse surfaces. Continentals don't rate very well in those areas and my personal experience confirms that. The Bridgestone seem to be the best on paper, but my research will continue.
  • Options
    My reason for wanting to change tires has little to do with "grip", although that is important and the Continentals don't rate very high in that area according to Tire Rack. My reason is smoothness and quiet on coarse surfaces. Continentals don't rate very well in those areas and my personal experience confirms that. The Bridgestone seem to be the best on paper, but my research will continue.

My other car is an RSX so compared to that, the Freestyle is EXTREMELY quiet and smooth.
    :-)

Two completely different animals and I love each one for what they bring to the table.
  • Options
    jackiefjackief Member Posts: 10
    I disabled my auto-lock immediately also, couldn't stand that.

I haven't gotten around to reading the manual yet on the keypad locks, so this could be in there, but I would like to disable the button (what is it, bottom 2?) which will do an automatic lock. My 10yo daughter does know the factory unlock code, I haven't memorized it yet because I plan to set my own code, but I have told her not to lock the doors with the keypad without checking with me, but she has done it now so I don't trust her. She did it when I dropped off a friend and I was standing in the driveway with the keys in the car. I would prefer having to enter an explicit code to lock, just as to unlock.

I assume this is more of a short term issue as I haven't memorized a code for the buttons yet, but I don't like the idea that it can be locked so easily. I guess it is no different than locking with the interior button.

Jackie
  • Options
    tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    I thought the filler cap was placed on the passenger side to avoid people getting clipped as they added fuel on the freeway. :)
  • Options
    ranger2001xltranger2001xlt Member Posts: 85
    I also am getting poor fuel mileage. I only have 1300 miles on my AWD but am getting a dismal 16 mpg. This is mostly all city/suburban driving and reset of the gallons used and odometer at each fillup. I don't see that I will a 20% improvement with this mileage usage over time to come close to the 19mpg the vehicle is rated at. That seems to large of a spread for engine breakin.

I'm kinda ticked at Ford because I had the dealer look a this when I had it in for another problem and he assured me it was within reason? The 5 year old minivan I traded in got better mileage than this car. I was able to achieve the EPA estimates on that 4 speed auto so why not this car with it's advanced transmission?

This isn't a big issue when fuel was selling at $1.50 per gallon. When gas will hit $3.00 a gallon within the next year or two, this issue should make Ford be embarrased. At least Toyota told the customers that the Prius would not achive the EPA figures when it was given a 50+ mpg estimate. Ford should of come clean on this one or at least tell it's dealer network to take the problem seriously.
  • Options
    Reset the miles per gallon at each fill up. Are your tires inflated properly? Remember that EPA estimates are obtained in a lab setting and without the air on. Are you a lead foot and are you carrying heavy loads? Under such conditions the rpms will be high and so will the fuel consumption. Best mileage for nearly any vehicle is achieved at 70 degrees without air.
  • Options
    willie19willie19 Member Posts: 139
    " Best mileage for nearly any vehicle is achieved at 70 degrees without air."

Huh?!! Maybe Ford can re-design the Freebie and turn it into an amphibious vehicle. Then when I go fishing I can just drift with the tide while trolling and get good mileage.Just kidding ya bruneau1. ;)
  • Options
    I found a 2005, AWD Freestyle SEL on the web for $24,500. It's got the safety package & a moonroof. Don't care much about the moonroof, but I want the safety package. Email the dealer. Guy calls back. "We'll knock $500 off the price for you". Me "Why?" Him "It's a demo". Me "How many miles?" Him "6,000"! Me "Are you nuts? To me, that's a used car that you all took on vacation." Him "We have another one on the lot that you may like". Me "How much?" Him "$27,900". Me "No thanks." Guess I'm lucky they told me upfront before I drove 30 miles to the dealership? :P

My question:

He tells me that I need AWD since the back of the vehicle is lighter than the front and won't be good to drive in snow or rain.

Any feedback from the Freebie Fanatics? Thanks!
  • Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    This salesperson has already proven he is not to be trusted.

Run, don't walk, to another dealer. And don't listen to ANYTHING the first salesguy had to say...
  • Options
    That is a lame justification for needing AWD.

If you expect to be driving regularly in hazardous conditions (unplowed snow and ice, standing water) then you should get AWD. Otherwise, you don't need it. You might feel more comfortable if you have AWD, but you don't need it.

We live in rural upstate NY and drive on packed snow all winter, so we opted for AWD. But even in our case we probably don't need it in the sense that I don't think we'd get stranded without it.
  • Options
    reverend12reverend12 Member Posts: 8
    You gotta reset the meter. I'm getting 17-19 in town 26-28 on the highway.

REV
  • Options
    * Freestyle has a 55% Front/45% Rear weight distribution.
    * Lexus RX330 has a 57% F/43% R.
    * Nissan Murano has a 59% F/41% R.
    * Buick Rainier has a 55% F/45% R.
    * Chrysler Pacifica has a 56% F/44% R.
    * Mustang GT - 53% F/47% R.
    * Jaguar X-type - 53% F/47% R.

The Freestyle has a very good weight distribution. It has nothing to do with AWD or FWD selection. The salesman has a poor understanding of how vehicles work and why customers are important.
    My two cents. :shades:
  • Options
    I figured the salesman was smoking something. I know it's a stereotype, but I swear, when they get a woman on the phone, they try all kinds of BS to get the sale/upgrades...

Since car shopping in the past month, I've had the bait and switch pulled (another Ford dealer on an Escape). I also got the old 3 person trade in press at Toyota ("Honey, your Jeep isn't worth that much"). They were showing me the Dealer Trade In Value page from KBB and saying it was all I'd get in a private sale. I pulled out my printouts from Kelly, handed them over and walked out. They lost a $26,000 sale.

My favorite was "The DVD player will be used more than the side curtain airbags, so it's a better option" line. :P Do they think I'm going to deliberately crash just to use a safety feature?

I've test drove the Subie Forester (love it, too small), the Toyota Highlander (hated the seats, liked the smooth ride, not good on corners) and the Freestyle.

Besides the windshield glare and the lock issues - what does everyone think of the following on the Freebie?

The ride - is it good on corners? Smooth? Do you hate the CVT in stop & go traffic?

Are you worried that Ford is discontinuing the model? What will that do to resale?

Should I upgrade to the SEL? Any SE owners wish they had?

Thanks in advance for all replies - these forums have been a huge help! :)
  • Options
    I am not suggesting you drive only in 70 degrees with the air off, but that's what the experts say. Some people think Ford or any manufacturer indicates the mileage. The estimate comes from the EPA tests under the conditions I have stated. No vehicle is actually tested in the real world for the EPA estimates on the sticker. Some vehicles come closer than others to the EPA estimates. If the Freestyle is driven hard under heavy loads, the mileage will suffer more than in some vehicles where the engine does not have to work as hard. The estimates on the sticker are for comparison purposes only. Anyone who thinks otherwise is uninformed.
  • Options
    Go for the SEL. Supposedly it has more insulation and the wheels are nicer. I love mine in stop and go traffic- it is always ready to respond without any dramatic downshifts. However since the CVT holds the rpms longer, you can end up going too fast if you don't let up. The CVT is slower off the line than conventional transmissions, but it more than makes up in smooth responsiveness after that. My other car is a rear drive V-8, and while it has its virtues, the Freebie is much more fun to drive in great part because of the CVT. We all hope the CVT stays around and is reliable.
  • Options
    Everyone's experience will be a bit different, but here is my take on a few of your questions.
    1) Windshield glare has not been an issue for me with the Shale interior (I don't live in Arizona either).
    2) The automatic locking is typically found in higher end sedans. It doesn't bother me, and it can be turned off if you like.
    3) The ride to me is very good - especially for a vehicle of its size. It doesn't "wobble" in the corners like many SUVs. It doesn't feel much like driving a truck. I do recommend a test drive.
    4) The CVT is fine crawling in stop and go traffic. If you are asking about taking off to catch up with traffic, you may not feel an ooomph, but the acceleration is fine.
    5) I am not worried about Ford discontinuing the model. I plan to keep it a long time. The nameplate will live on at Ford, no matter what the underpinnings are, and Mercury and Lincoln will use the chassis/CVT combination as well.

One data point for you. I hope that helps. :shades:
  • Options
    tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    It sounds like you had a horrible experience at the dealer. My salesman was very honest with me. He said right at the beginning that the car was fairly new and he didn't know everything he should about the vehicle. Because I did my research before deciding, I probably knew more than he did when I bought mine.
    I don't find the window glare with my shale interior a real problem like so many others do. Whenever the sun is out I wear my polarized sunglasses and that eliminates all glare. I notice it most when driving in to the sun in the morning.
    I personally like the auto lock feature. I've gotten used to using it, and makes me feel safer in questionable neighborhoods on my way to work.
    The ride is what sold me on the car. When I took it out for a test ride I noticed right away how smooth the ride was. It is excellent on corners and curves at higher speeds. On a rather sharp curve on the interstate near my home I can easily pass other vehicles who have to slow for the curve.
    I haven't noticed any difference with the CVT in stop and go traffic from a conventional transmission. I especially like the CVT for city driving because it coasts so well. I've learned to coast when I see a red light, or a light about to change ahead. I let the car coast and slow on its own, saving gas and wear on the brake pads.
    I'm not worried about resale because I'm the type who keeps a vehicle for a long time, keep it maintained, and sell it when it gets worn for what I can get for it and move on. My feeling is I will have this car for a long time.
    I have an Redfire SE with convenience group and traction control. I have no regrets not buying an SEL. At the time I bought, the price difference to an SEL was several thousand dollars. The SE has so many standard features I'm happy. I like the contrast of the black mirrors on the SE but wish the door handles were the same color. The two color mirrors on the SEL look a little funky to me. As far as the additional features, I don't know how often I'd use the fog lamps and I can reach over to change the radio station. I do wish I had a 6 disk CD changer. Well you asked for it, so there's my two cents. Hope you buy, because I know you'll enjoy. :shades:
  • Options
    I have an SE silver, with traction, convenience, rear AC, dual climate, & safety package, so I got the options I wanted without paying for those I didn't need (leather steering wheel, radio controls on steering wheel, etc).. We love the car. The only thing with the Highlander is the 3rd row and cargo space are both really small, plus it costs a lot more (I paid $23,500 for mine).
  • Options
    barnstormer64barnstormer64 Member Posts: 1,106
    "the ride - is it good on corners? Smooth?"

Very good ride, even in corners. And very smooth

" Do you hate the CVT in stop & go traffic? "

No, I absolutely LOVE it.

"Are you worried that Ford is discontinuing the model? What will that do to resale? "

Doesn't really bother me. Ford products never have good resale value, anyway. LOL I plan on keeping it long enough that getting $1000 for it instead of $2000 isn't a big issue.