Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Ford Freestyle - Taurus X

Comments

• Options
    lanbabalanbaba Member Posts: 45
    Maybe a stupid question: How do I know the exact production date of my FS? the door panel only shows the month, no exact day. :confuse:
  • Options
    northlakesnorthlakes Member Posts: 368
    A banner day - I counted seven different Freestyles on the road or in parking lots today. Maybe the employee pricing is helping Freestyle sales. :shades:
  • Options
    manasotamanasota Member Posts: 28
    I'm fine with th 3.0L power. In fact, it even impressed my 16 year old son the other day when I nailed it to merge onto the freeway. The Duratech is a proven, reliable, engine and I'm not climbing mountains or towing a travel trailer.

The CVT is awesome. Smooth as silk!

So far, one of my wifes co-workers has purchased a Freestyle after seeing hers ans another is contemplating one.

I would like to hear from someone who has purchased a dashboard cover. What brand? Fit and finish? Ease of installation?
  • Options
    mikemcmmikemcm Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know why a MP3 CD burned using Nero 6.x does not work (Bad Disk error) but a MP3 CD burned using MusicMatch 10 works perfect. The problem with just using MusicMatch is that MusicMatch itself dosen't work well most of the time :confuse:
  • Options
    barnstormer64barnstormer64 Member Posts: 1,106
    No idea, because I've been using Nero and it works fine.
  • Options
    cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    I took my Freestyle to the dealer last week to get the CD changer checked out. They confirmed that it needed replacement by checking it with a computer. The key is the date of manufacture of the CD changer and that info can be extracted by the dealer somehow. They did not remove it and as far as I know did not actually experience any problems by playing the CDs, but not sure about that. They had the car less than an hour while I waited. They ordered the new part from the radio manufacturer and I was told it would take a week to 10 days to get the part in. Meanwhile I am still using the original radio/cd player with all it's problems until the new one comes in

I don't believe there is a problem with the CD burning software - instead it is the CD player. I use Nero to copy my cds and most play without problem.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. I haven't been able to figure it out. Are you putting your music into folders on the discs you burn? Could you possibly tell me the settings/options you are using with Nero? THANKS !!
  • Options
    Yes, I'm putting the music into folders. I'm burning mp3's, not actual audio-CDs.

If you're burning mp3's, be sure to burn the disc as a DATA disc, not a music/audio disc.

I haven't tried burning a CD an as audio disc yet (for use in the Freestyle). Just mp3's.

I'm not using any "special" settings. Just the same ones I'd use to burn a data disc for a computer.

Can you take the discs you're burning to another PC and see the actual files on there?

Are you burning mp3's, or trying to make audio CDs?
  • Options
    volfangaryvolfangary Member Posts: 105
    I just picked mine up after dropping it off this morning for CD problems. They have to order mine too. Said it would take a week to get here. My service man never heard of the recall so I showed him the printout from this forum with recall number. Glad I found the information out here about it!
  • Options
    tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    Took a trip from Minneapolis to Duluth (321 mi total) last Sunday. I didn't notice any Freestyles on the road but saw two in downtown Duluth. I did notice a lot of folks looking at me though. I'm from the old school and believe that a car that is driven in the city needs to get out and stretch every now and then. Took it up to 100+ and was extremely impressed with the handling at that speed. Had it at 85 to 95 mph a couple of times for 10 or 12 miles and felt very confident that my passenger and I were safe the whole time. To get there, I jumped on the accelerator and off it went. Great pick up from 70 to 90. Only got around 22 mpg on the trip up due to the speeds. On the way home set the cruise at 70 mph and got 27.1 mpg which I am pleased with. We went through Jay Cooke State Park for a portion of the trip home and was totally impressed with the handling on the twisting, bumpy state park road. I never felt I was loosing control on bumpy curves. The front end stayed tight on the road as I confidently turned in and out of the curves. Boy, am I glad I bought a Freestyle!
  • Options
    Thats what I have been doing. Burning the disc as a data and not an audio (wav) CD. The discs I have burned with Nero play perfectly on my PC just not in my FS. The files are there when viewed with Explorer. I did notice that the discs burned with MusicMatch have several files (*.mau, *.m3u ,and mmu) that the Nero burned disk dosen't have. :confuse: I have an extensive library of mp3 files that I have ripped from several 100 CDs that I own. I have never had any problem before with compatibility. This is getting frustrating. Thanks again for your comments and suggestions.
  • Options
    cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    The CD's that I burn using Nero are copies of orginal CDs, so they are not MP3s. They have played just like the originals in my other vehicle, but skip, won't change when finished, etc on the Freestyle.
  • Options
    rockyrrrockyrr Member Posts: 1
    I have had to take my Freestyle to my dealer to have the oil % message reset to 100% because the instructions in the manual are incorrect. Does anyone have or know where I can obtain the correct instructions so I don't have to go to my dealer each time?

Thanks,
    Rocky
  • Options
    jschreiberjschreiber Member Posts: 50
    I've reset it twice with oil changes by simply putting it on the oil setting and pressing in the button for reset twice for around 20 seconds--goes right to zero
  • Options
    jschreiberjschreiber Member Posts: 50
    I also took a road trip with my AWD SE ( a bit longer drive) and was pleased--went from Minneapolis to Massachusetts over 2 days--here are my observations:

great mileage for a big car--around 26/gallon with loaded car and dog
    excellent high speed handling--very tight and stable
    climate control excellent
    speed control stable to the mile--the CVT really helps
    excellent seat comfort for the 20 hour drive
    was in rural area with many bumpy dirt roads--handled the dirt roads very well and performed well--I will vote however that this is NOT an SUV but is a solid AWD station wagon

would buy it again in a heartbeat--up to 14,000 miles no problems knock on wood
  • Options
    frankc55frankc55 Member Posts: 9
    I am looking at Freestyle and I like it. The question I have is can I tow a jet ski with it?

Looked on Ford's site but I couldn't find any info on towing.

Any suggestions out there in Freestyle land?
    :confuse:

Thanks
    Frank
  • Options
    mikew4mikew4 Member Posts: 1
    According to everything I read 18" wheels are standard on the Limited FS. My dealer in Orlando indicates that 18" are available on AWD models only. FWD Limited come with 17" wheels only. Anyone set the record straight? Can I get a Limited FWD with 18" wheels?
  • Options
    dtimmermandtimmerman Member Posts: 2
    We bought a Freestyle three days ago. The dealership's Controller had been driving the vehicle and it had 5000 miles on it. We drove it home that same day. Not one hour after driving off the lot, the car stalled three times while driving and almost stalled a fourth time. It took a couple of times to restart it. We took it to the dealer the next day and they could not duplicate the problem but said they updated the onboard computer. It drove fine the next day. The following day as my wife drove it home from school, it stalled again while driving and took three tries to start it. I noticed sometimes when we first start it, it starts right away and sometimes it takes a few seconds to kick in. We are hesitant to drive it now for safety reasons. We are afraid it will stall out in the middle of nowhere or cause an accident by stalling while driving. It is now back in service at the dealership. Anybody have similar problems? We are considering taking the car back and asking the dealership to find us a new Freestyle instead of keeping the "demo". We just dont trust the vehicle. Any opinions? Thanks!
  • Options
    rbcorbco Member Posts: 13
    Hi,

I have a 2005 SEL.

My cd player also skips at times. Many discs are read as not playable(yet, they play everywhere else). another annoyance is the space between tracks on live shows. When i play on all other players, there is no audilbe space between tracks. I spoke with the dealer today, and they said they would take it out, send it to the outside manufacturer of the player, and then in around 10 days an assesment would be made. I found this odd, as it seems it would be cheaper for them to just remove and replace.

I also have issues with gas mileage. Highway has been wonderful. city mileage is around 15.4 which is terribly disappointing.

I am happy with the car so far. I am a little concerned with the readings of the discontinuance. I am not familiar with cars at all, but am concerned if the CVT is discontinued, thinking it will be harder to service.

oh, another question. Can mud flaps be bought as an add on. My car has been getting incredibly dirty, and I am thinking mudflaps would help.

oh, and another one. I went to Uhaul today, and am getting a class 2 , 2 inch hitch attached. We have a bike rack that will fit into it, and uses 2 inch receivers.

I also need to get a roof rack. and then a ski attachment. any suggestions.

sorry to put this all into one post.

thanks for reading

ron
  • Options
    jjayjjay Member Posts: 28
    Has anyone bought these mats for their Freestyle (or any other vehicle)? Just curious - I'm thinking of getting them, but was hoping to get some feedback before buying.

http://www.drivingcomfort.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=657&cid=110">link title
  • Options
    This is a note from message 3058 about the stalling issue. Your dealer SHOULD know all about it.
    :shades:
    March 7, 2005
    Dearborn, Michigan. Ford Motor Company told dealers that 2005 Ford Freestyle vehicles with the 3.0L 4-valve engine and the continuously variable transmission (CVT) may exhibit intermittent drivability concerns on deceleration and/or during turning maneuvers.

To solve this drivability concern, Ford will reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM).

Owners who experience intermittent drivability concerns with their Freestyle should consult their Ford or Lincoln-Mercury to have the above mentioned service performed.
  • Options
    dtimmermandtimmerman Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply! I will bring it to the dealer's attention, although this might be what they did the first time. They mentioned they had read a tech bulletin about similar problems to what we are experiencing. It's worth a try. Thanks!
  • Options
    mousemeatmousemeat Member Posts: 12
    I am still trepidatious of having bought the Freestyle because I have not seen another one and none of my friends have either. However, I am pleased with it although I haven't driven it much. I don't like the gas tank being on the opposite side of the car's driver's seat. It not as handy or as safe as one has to walk around the car and stand out away from the safety of being able to jump in the car. I was also used to perching in the front seat while waiting for the tank to fill and now I have to stand there and wait. Too hot and gas too dear right now to really free range too much. It handles wonderfully except on my loose rock driveway where it scoots around a bit. Rock fault - not car's.
    I can't tell whether we are all just lucky and found a great car that just didn't get proper promotion or whether I will regret buying it if parts are scarce or techs just don't work enough on them to know their quirks. It surely is pretty though. However, last night coming home I crossed Hwy 180 that goes through town. I was at a cross light a block east of our courthouse square. When I started through the intersection, a huge semi ran the light and had it not been for the maneuverability of the Freestyle, I would have been broad sided in the driver's seat and even with airbags, probably dead or I would have flipped if I had been in an SUV.
    I do have three questions:
    1) I looked for a tail light hookup for a trailer but couldn't find one. Were they an option and, if so, can I get it added on at some point? :confuse:
    2) You all refer to Freestyle owners as "Freebies". If I had bought the Escape instead, would I have been an "Escapee"? ;)
    3) What does the pblt icon with the tongue hanging out mean? :P
    I do like this forum as when I feel that I have made a mistake and no one knows what a Freestyle is, I can find comfort and reassurance here.
    I hope all of you in the path of Katrina faired well and are safe and sound.
  • Options
    nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    I am looking at Freestyle and I like it. The question I have is can I tow a jet ski with it?

Looked on Ford's site but I couldn't find any info on towing.

You shouldn't have any trouble towing a jet ski. What do those weigh? around 600 lbs?
    I figure your jet ski trailer weighs about 500 lbs (just a guess though)
    for acombined weight of 1100 lbs

Freestyle is rated for 2000 lbs towing.
  • Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Re-entering a vehicle while fueling is a safety hazard and could even cause an explosion. It is rare, but does happen. It is also illegal in every state to not attend a pump while the fuel is being filled. In the event of any pump malfunction, there is no one there to shut off the fuel. In New York, in particular, this could get you arrested if someone from the fire marshall's office is around. This is why many states require that the latch that holds open the pump for filling be removed from self service pumps.

Re-entering the vehicle during fueling is almost always a factor when people drive away while the nozzle is still attached to the vehicle, too. This conduct is the major cause of service station explosions. So, if Ford relocating the gas fill causes you to no longer return to your vehicle during fueling, this is a very good thing.

Finally, the passenger side gas fill is safer during a collision, so say the manufacturers, insurance companies and trial lawyers. (Years ago, gas fills used to be in the back of the vehicle, sometimes even behind the license plate. You will notice that none are these days)

I like your Escapee comment. And the icon with the tongue hanging out means one knows one is being somewhat catty, cute or smart alecky! :)
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Obviously it stands for Peanut Better, Lettuce and Tomato Sandwich (which obviously makes your tongue stick out). Here's the recipe.

(Actually I have no clue :))

Steve, Host
  • Options
    funitsfunits Member Posts: 55
    I had Catch-All mats in my Envoy (which I traded for the Freestyle).
    They are great!. They hold water and dirt extremely well since the mats have high sides all around. They are durable and wash and dry well.

I did not buy them for the Freestyle as they seem to have become more expensive than when I bought them for the Envoy. I went with RubberTite mats made by Lloyd mats, which work well and are less expensive than Catch All.
  • Options
    bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    18" only on Limited AWD.
  • Options
    globecanvasglobecanvas Member Posts: 45
    You know the sign at every gas station that tells you not to get back in the vehicle while you're pumping gas? Well ... don't get back in the vehicle while you're pumping gas!

Static pump fires happen. Watch this video and you won't do it any more.
  • Options
    The link seems to be broken at the moment, for me anyway. Here's the "safety" page if you can't get to the video:

Petroleum Equipment Institute

Steve, Host
  • Options
    The now 1700 mile journey has ended. Successfully deposited child and stuff at college. I was proud that the AWD Redfire Freestyle got 26.2 MPG on the return trip - especially since the gas that was outrageously high at $2.75/gal. on the way out was $3.19/gal. on the return. Michigan has its own gas refineries, so the price jump must be due to "other factors" like distribution ;) . The Freebie performed like a champ. The winds in Wisconsin were very gusty, but the Freebie handled it well - you just had to pay extra attention when you were buffeted.

I was glad to see seven Freebies in one day on Aug. 29th. On the return trip, I saw four car transporters full of Freestyles (~30 of them?) heading into Michigan. I hope that means more orders to be filled. :shades:
  • Options
    " I was also used to perching in the front seat while waiting for the tank to fill"

You DO realize that this is an UNSAFE practice, don't you?

Just like having a cell-phone on you (outside the car) that's turned on when you are filling the tank with gas.
  • Options
    goldonegoldone Member Posts: 2
    I purchased an extra keypad to mount on the tailgate.Can I program this or do I have to take it to the dealer?I tried,following all instructions,with no success.Maybe I'm missing something.THANKS to anyone that can help.
  • Options
    Just wondering what you paid for the keypad if you don't mind sharing. Thanks! :confuse:
  • Options
    How do they fasten on? Adhesive or screws?
    Thanks, I'm looking to get some put on. Yours look great! :)
  • Options
    goldonegoldone Member Posts: 2
    I paid $52.00 plus shipping on e-bay for the keypad.
  • Options
    maxdrawmaxdraw Member Posts: 21
    On 9/1/05 I went to a Ford sponsored event called Innovation Drive in Pomona California where Ford had models available to test drive and company representatives were available to answer questions. The Freestyle was one of the cars featured at this event and I asked representatives point blank if the Freestyle was going to be phased out after the 2007 model year and their answer was absolutely not. They said a very irresponsible article was written and there has been a lot of speculation based on it. They said Ford is very committed to the Freestyle and it will evolve like any other model over the years. I asked if it was going to evolve into the Mercury Metaone and they said that this model would be in addition to the Ford Freestyle. I guess now we will have to just wait and see.
  • Options
    indybellindybell Member Posts: 40
    On the ones that I used ( the ones with a chrome strip), there were two adhesive strips -top and bottom. A peel and stick arrangement. The chrome strip has one too so it can be applied to the molding after painting.

I might add that those strips come with several plastic alignment moldings on the back side that had to be removed (easily done). Obviously the Five Hundred has alignment holes stamped in the door. Wouldn't want someone drilling alignment holes in my Freestyle door.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the comment on the looks of the installation. I've gotten so used to them that when I see a Limited I think it looks bare without moldings.
  • Options
    tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    I purchased from fordaccessories.com the scuff plate kit and frankly was a little disappointed with what I got for the money. I guess I wasn't sure what they would be like. They look nice installed, and will serve the purpose, but I think the price is too high for what they are. After shipping, over $120.00 is a lot to pay for four strips of urethane plastic with some scribbles and the word Freestyle printed on them. A word of caution; make sure you have them lined up because installation is a one shot deal, the adhesive is really strong. I'm glad I bought them, it's like an added detail when the doors are opened. I just wish they were about half the price.
  • Options
    If it is any consolation, they would have cost nearly twice as much at most dealerships....
  • Options
    alfredfife1alfredfife1 Member Posts: 3
    I am considering buying a freestyle, but I have heard rumors of problems with the CVT transmission. And even that Ford may discontinuing using it. Has anyone had problem with the transmission?
  • Options
    passat_2002passat_2002 Member Posts: 468
    Other than some isolated cases, there doesn't seem to have been any problems with this CVT at all. I think it's one of the Freestyle's best features.
  • Options
    I think it is a strong transmission and one of the smoothest I have experienced in any car. There have been a few reports of stalling, which is apparently solved by reprogramming the transmission control module. Personally, I have taken two 1500 mile trips with my Freestyle AWD loaded. It never felt shaky and had a surprising amount of pull at freeway speeds for evasive maneuvers or passing.

The following is not a reliability comment, but the CVT helps with the gas mileage over a similar-sized vehicle - especially at freeway speeds (not so much in the city). When gas hit $3.19/gallon this past week, I was glad to have the CVT married to the 200 HP V-6 getting 26 MPG.

Since Ford has plans to use the same chassis/engine combination in Mercury and Lincoln vehicles, and most hybrid vehicles use a variation of a CVT transmission, I believe there will be CVT parts and service available for a long time - my opinion. Of course, the future is always uncertain. :shades:
  • Options
    In an auto magazine review they estimated that 60% of all cars manufactured will use CVT within the next 5 years. The problem right now is the cost due to a weak American dollar. :)
  • Options
    Yes I do. I am handicapped and it was a personal preference and observation and that is all I meant by it. I agree and cell phones and people here in Texas that can't do anything without a cigarette in their hand really scare me. :mad: In Houston, they had the pumps clips removed, but people just jammed something in the handle, a key remote or a tictac box and walked away to but lotto tickets. I was just perched there watching the numbers fly by on the gauge and ready to jump when it cut off or was about to. Where I usually buy gas here in Weatherford, they still have the pump clips, but they cut off way before it spills over, usually 4 or more gallons from full. I am not stupid, just used to doing things in another Ford vehicle for 14 years and force of habit means I usually pull up to the tank and then realize I have to turn the car around. I have some sense and never left the pump unattended, but with my back problems, it is easier for me to do laps around the car than to stand still in place on concrete and since I am obviously impaired, I feel more vulnerable over there on the opposite side. I have FITS when I see people who are inattentive, cavalier with others safety or who are just plain stupid. I thought this would be a fun place to share the new experience of having a new car but it seems like there are a few people quite ready to pounce. :(
  • Options
    Hardly pouncing. Re-entering a vehicle during fueling is a very dangerous practice, and nothing to laugh or joke about....
  • Options
    I was NOT laughing or joking. Anything but. It is not as if I got back in the car and closed the door, I was just perched on the seat with the door open, sometimes, even the rear door. Yikes! Please reread my post. I wasn't arguing with ANYONE but seem to get criticism regardless of what I say. Your quip back to me just now was "pouncing" indeed. This is not the place for that. Exchange of comments, information, joys and problems solving, yes - but not personal indictments. Why can't we play like nice children enjoying our new cars?..
  • Options
    Getting back into a vehicle while fueling, regardless of how slight the re-entry is dangerous conduct. Period. It could cause an explosion. I strongly implore you NOT to do it.

It is NOT safe. There is no other way to say it.

You either will or won't take others safety (as well as your own) into account.

And with that, I am done with this topic..let's talk about the Freestyle, safely...
  • Options
    Moving on sounds like a good idea.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    You have as much chance of being struck by lightning, twice, standing in the same spot as causing a fire like that. Urban legend is all. Never happened. 'Myth Busters' disproved it. If you worry about things like that you must live in a bubble.