Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Corvettes and all things about them

Comments

• Options
    gbjerkegbjerke Member Posts: 158
    My "car nut" nephew sent me specs/pics of above which will be unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show.

I'm salivating like mad over the specs.

0-60 3.8 seconds

Top speed--200 mph

Weight 2900#

Chassis and Suspension development by Pratt & Miller

Aluminum hydroformed frame produced by DANA

345/30x19 rear skins

6 piston front and 4 piston rear brakes (possibly Brembos)

Engine development by KaTech to be hand built by new HP engine plant

LS7 427ci/7.0L--500/500 hp and torque (512 hp derated to 500)

Race based CNC ported aluminim heads with 70cc chambers

11.0:1 CR

46mm titanium intake valv

41mm Na filled exhaust valve

104.88 bore (4.125"); 101.6 stroke (4.0") aluminum block

Forged crank

Forged 6 bolt main bearing caps

Titanium rods

Cast aluminum flat top pistons

0.591" lift cam

Dry sump

90mm throttle body on composite manifold

Ram air

Pictures indicated the seats were much better bolstered but still no harness opening.

Wheels are georgeous----split spoke design.

Awesome looking front end. Rear pic not very good but it looks like the rear window has been swept back a bit.

This looks like one helluva package. 500 ponies and only 2900#!!!!!!!!!! Killer brakes; STRONG bottom end...on and on.

Question is cost. All this good stuff costs $$$, so what will the General do? If it goes mid/upper 60's I would guess the good news is that there will be early/deep discounts. If they keep it in the mid 50's+, I'll sure line up early.

Suspect there are other thoughts out there...let's hear them.
  • Options
    starrow68starrow68 Member Posts: 1,142
    That seems to be the high end of all speculation about the new Z06. And I agree that with all those goodies the price isn't going to be just a little above the current offering. To me it sounds more like an option kit to be offered to serious class racers as a starting point.

That then begs the question of who could really drive the monster? I know the Z06 and current C6 are very streetable but even there I've seen or heard of 3 Z06's take on a wall at one of the local tracks in just the past year. Even the 350 hp coupe I drive is capable of going speeds I'm not yet really capable at, knock on wood.

And, it's going to just be a shame to watch many of these drive down to the local bar and back with an occasional romp to 80mph on the freeway.

Fact is I don't fit as well in the current Z06 without the telescoping wheel that the coupe offers. Too little leg room from gas pedal to underside of the steering wheel, causing leg angle and knee twist that would get uncomfortable after a while. Going to be fun watching for the fat lady to sing the final version in Jan.
  • Options
    bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Had a brutal storm starting Wednesday morning. I left work at 9 a.m. when the roads started getting covered with ice and then snow. Made the 11 mile trip home with no incidents but as I came toward my housing development I saw that the side roads were untouched by plows or salt trucks. About a half mile from my house I see an 04 Milennium Yellow coming out of a child care facility parking lot and turning onto the road I was on. Although he was barely moving, he slid through the turn and had to back up to make the 90 degrees. I followed at a safe distance as he eased down the slight hill and curve to my street. He barely held the curve and then came to his turn one street before mine. Down a slight hill and only doing 15 mph, and I said to myself "he is never going to make that turn, he's going to bang the curb with his right side." Fortunately, the wheels finally grabbed in time as he slid sideways and he made it into the street. I was in my 300M with front wheel drive, and I just buzzed on home with only slight skids on my own turn and driveway turn. I got home and said to myself: "The Vette stays in the garage until the street gets clear and dry, even if it takes a month." Guess those EMTs are truly only good on dry pavement. I've had the traction contol kick in twice on just wet pavement during acceleration, so snow and ice would appear to be almost suicidal.
  • Options
    Great description, glad I've never experienced it in the Vette. When it gets really bad here that means it's the combination of in the 40's with some wet roads. Usually it's one or the other but not both at the same time. Cold is usually foggy days after the rain, which a lot of times will warm things up.

I have yet to sign up for a track day and miss it due to rain, but last year was considered dry, remains to be seen if I continue to be lucky. Then again the So. Cal. folks think we here in Nor. Calif. are living in the far north since there might be a few days to leave the Vette in the garage just due to mucky roads. But all in all I'm sure glad I only spent two winters in Ohio in my life, ugh!
  • Options
    cdallen2004cdallen2004 Member Posts: 30
    is the new corvette low slung? I am 19 years old, and i definitely want to purchase this car. But I truly do want a car that has that Ferrari-type driving position in terms of "lowness", like a high powered motorcycle. I like low slung cars that are wide, low, and possesse aggressive styling....

does the Vette qualify?
  • Options
    All things depend on Point of View (POV). Compared to any sedan the Corvette is very low slung and some would say it's hard for old folks to get in and out of. When I get old I'll find out.

Then again compared to the new, to the US, Elise, it is a boat, but at 6' 3" I'm at least 3" too tall to even get in that car much less drive it. Certain cars sort of fit different stages in life and at 24 I loved spending more than a dozen years in an MGB. Not so much power that I got in too much trouble. The current Corvette or even the C5 is more than I drive well, even with several driving and racing classes under my belt. Under 30 with this kind of power I would have been a disaster, now I just have to get it on the track regularly.

It's all hindsight but if people could put just a fraction of what they put into wheels into training they would have a whole lot more fun, but most will forever believe they are good drivers without classes. Sort of like picking a Dr. who didn't go to Med School.

Merry Christmas to all, Happy Corvetting to those who have and Happy Dreams to those who will.
  • Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    For sure, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder! If you define beauty as a Ferrari, why settle on a Corvette?
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Whole lot cheaper. With that extra 50-75Gs in my pocket (at least) the Corvette looks could grow on me, or I could get sunglasses to wear when I approach from the rear, or just listen to the engine and forget about the part of the car that's behind me.

Also you can buy a Corvette right away. For a new Ferrari you have to wait a long time sometimes unless you get someone who has a new one and is flipping it for a profit.
  • Options
    Sorry for the shift in topic, but was surprised to hear that from a Ferrari owner too. Said his new 575 Maranello was only due to the fact that owns several others and is therefore on the approved list. Otherwise he said the wait is 4 to 5 years for a new owner. Guess waiting a few months for a Corvette order to process is pretty tame. Turns out the C6 coupe is available in just about all possible configurations and colors if you look at the big internet dealers and you might not even have to wait to get exactly what you want. The delay in the convertible really did stack the dealers up with coupes beyond the ability of the market to absorb, it seems.
  • Options
    I know that the Ferrari and Corvette are often compared in the stats and legitimately so, but the Ferrari experience is so weird and unique and the pull of the mythology so overpowering that applying logic to a Ferrari purchase is simply not possible.

Also the Ferrari factory is about 100Xs more shrewd in marketing that GM can ever hope to be. They know how to make buyers literally beg to give away their money.

It's like that famous line from the Harley Davidson executive: "If you can get people to tattoo the name of your motorcycle on their forehead...now THAT'S product loyalty!"
  • Options
    Previously mentioned the brutal snow storm of last Wed. & Thurs., and the trouble a Vette had getting to his street near mine. Well, yesterday in the same place almost, I dumped my 300M sideways into a depression. Why did it happen? They have not run a plow down our streets since the storm started. No kidding. As a result, after 4 days there were 3 ruts for both directions of travel. I was in ruts 1 and 2 and a pick-up truck comes the other way using ruts 2 and 3. I elected to ride up out of rut 2 and over so he could get by. My left rear tire caught on the six inch high rut whipped me sideways where there just happened to be a depression not a ditch. I was perpendicular to the roadway and about 3 feet out of rut number 1 and nosed in the snow. If I would have been at an angle I could have may driven out, but perpendicular and nose in with the low undercarriage--no chance. Called AAA and they got me out in about 3 minutes. The other driver felt like he was to blame but no, it was the crummy road condition that my town left. I call city hall tomorrow, but our paper has been filled with complaints about the snow removal effort. But not one plow on our streets in 4 days is the worst it has ever been. On the way home from the airport on Sunday on I-65 I almost collided with a gal who hit some ice coming on the ramp, crossed all three travel lanes, banged the pile on the inside, spun around and recrossed to the breakdown area. All 3 lanes of cars doing 65 missed her. I missed her by about 6 feet as she headed back across the roadway. Unbelieveable luck on all parts. I felt like I was in that NASCAR movie with Tom Cruise when his crew chief Robert Duvall is yelling "just drive through" as he plows through a crash and smoke and makes it. God it was close. Anyway, I guess the moral here is that sometimes you are lucky on things you can't control and sometimes you are not. At least neither incident impacted on my 300M. The Vette may never see a road again till March!!
  • Options
    http://autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=101358

Lots of info on various sites but this has some time line discussion of what came out and when. Interesting, we'll know if a few more days. I notice that the new Z06 is not on lists I see for LA release but I also know that there has been a group of a hundred Vette owners who are getting special parking and preview at the LA show.
  • Options
    Well today the streets were clear and my back has stopped spasming, so it was a good day to exercise my baby. Took a nice 20 mile cruise out to I-65 and back. God, it is hard to keep this car under 80 mph. Just a nice smooth run. Also installed a Window Valet today, and if I can do it, and program it correctly, anyone can. Lowers and raises the windows remotely. Works great. Wife got it for me for Xmas. Next is a mini-bra installation. Need more time to figure that out.
  • Options
    C6R and Z06 info at the Corvette Museum:

https://www.corvettemuseum.com/specs/2006/C6-R.shtml

Enjoy

And then on the Z06, nice spec list:

http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/previews,view,Chevrolet.spy?a- rtid=34133
  • Options
  • Options
    We're still out here but everybody must be so excited about the Z06 that they have forgotten to contribute lately. Can't believe all the articles I've been seeing in my car mags.
  • Options
    Count me as one of the "excited"!!!

I'm drooling over the upcoming Z06 and my only reservation is the pricing. The magazines vary considerably...60-80k.

At 60k, I'll be in line early; at 80k, I'll look seriously at the 911. The 911 sure won't outperform the Z but in 2 years, it will be worth a helluva lot more percentage-wise and the 911 sure is a fun ride.

I've loved my '01 and '03 Z's and SO want the 06 with all its enhancements. Hopefully the General will price them to sell.
  • Options
    The price is the break point, they want to maximize total revenue, I think. How many more do they sell if price goes down by -?-, which some at GM say they are still working out, wish I knew where the focus groups are being held.

Funny thing about having a very capable ride, both Z06 and say a GT3. Spent last Friday at Laguna Seca in my coupe, and with stock engine, and C5 Z06 rubber, I passed both a CE Z06 and a GT3 first session, ok I was smiling :). The Z06 driver knew a friend and I volunteered to lead/follow the second session, he was new to the car and to LS but had track experience. About 5 laps in I waved off and took off chasing the GT3, which I passed a couple laps later. Third session I started out in front and after 3 laps took off to find the Z06 on my tail, so I waved him by and he left me in the wake of his 325 Hoosiers. We both passed the GT3, but it was a nice kid, maybe 30's who was new to the car, LS and 3rd time at a track, he'll do better. But it was still fun passing him ;).
  • Options
    dmcquowndmcquown Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me what year Corvette was the first one to have an airbag?

Thank you .

dmcquown
  • Options
    ultraman19ultraman19 Member Posts: 24
    New Z06

Kerbeck told me today they est. the cost at

between $65-$75,000.

Covette Quarterly:est: $70,000

Car&Driver: est: $62,500

Local Chevy dealer that has always been very close

to actual cost for years(and a major Corvette dealer): est: $60,000!!!!

If so I will be in line camped out overnight to be first in line to order!

Kerbeck said they were offering a $500 discount on the Z mostly to get buyer out of the marketplace. They are also offering a loaded couple for $47,345.

Kerbeck also said they don't anticipate any real discounts on soft tops until Jan.-Feb.06.

Any other info? Thanks
  • Options
    The first passenger side air bag was listed in the 1994 info on CorvetteActionCenter. Good luck.

On the pricing, a loaded Coupe, list about $52k with $47k out the door is getting to be a pretty good deal. The vert's delay in production and the resulting oversupply of the coupe is moving the pricing of the two in opposite directions. Getting a deal on a vert is going to take a while.

On the new Z06 with all the enhancements, when the old Z06 was about the same price as a vert, I don't see that happening again. That gets me to high 60's but I agree they will sell a lot more of them if they get the price into the mid 60's. If your dealer is close and the MSRP is in the low 60's I just might be right behind you in line.

All that said, I'm trying to figure out what a monster like that would be like on the track. My stock engined coupe is faster than the vast majority of non-race prepared cars I run with and with experience it will go a lot faster than it takes to scare people in general. Can't really imagine what a street legal race car like the Z06 will be like. Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch outside Las Vegas is talking about getting new Z06's, I think that may be the first time I'll get to try out something that potent.

Randy
  • Options
    It is indeed interesting that Corvette's have a very unique ebb and flow when it comes to pricing.
  • Options
    jpstax1jpstax1 Member Posts: 197
    I found this site while searching for the ultimate 'Vette:

http://www.engine-power.com/chevy/2006_chevrolet_corvette_z06_pre- - ss.html

Wow!! It's gotta be my all-time favorite American dream car.
  • Options
  • Options
    To Message #1167:

After two years of reading the forum

and contributing comments this last year, I have found this site to be a group of enthusiasts for cars,horsepower and racing.

I did not see your deleted comments,but nor have I ever read a vulgar or distasteful message in the almost three years of the site.

One of the norms of a healthy group is have established boundaries that help guide the

mores of their specific interests and needs. The fact that one of the caretakers of the forum choose to delete your comments should make a clear point to you. You are welcome to contribute to questions and ideas about corvettes, cars, etc.

but allow the integrity of the group to be maintained by not being vulgar and offensive.

God bless you and yours,

Ultraman19
  • Options
    Thanks for the link, very through, but I wonder how it gets:

"making it one of the greatest performance values on the market",

when we have yet to find out the price? I'm not just waiting, I'm interested, like many others.

Randy
  • Options
    Me three...on the waiting list bit. I've posted before but I am salivating about the new Z06...and I will have one. Just a question of price as to whether it will be one of the first to hit the ground or hang out and wait for the discounts. "Instant gratification" is great but it will cost some significant $$$. The price may get into serious 911 territory.

Am merely hoping the general will make it in the 60-65k range...then again maybe I hope they put the nickel in the mid 70's+---sales will be minimal and incentives will arise quickly.

It will be one helluva sled...looks like they have covered the shortcomings of the C5 Z.

Can't wait!
  • Options
    badams67badams67 Member Posts: 1
    I am restoring a 69 vette. When I removed my control arms their were no shims. But their is about an inch of play on each side of the bushing. Before I set my rear end, should I use the shims or remove them? When I push up on the control arm I am verily catching the rubber stop pad. Does any know the correct way to install.
  • Options
    Well I'm not sure you will find the specific answer here but seems like something I've read in Vette Magazine. Their site is Vetteweb.com and I'm betting a question to the editor will get you an answer and maybe even published in a future edition. Great resource for fixing older Vette's.

Just noticed that they have a set of tech articles and you might just search for what you are looking for.

Randy
  • Options
    lesstl1lesstl1 Member Posts: 21
    I attended the St. Louis Auto Show mainly to look at the new C6. It is a great looking sports car and I am sure it performs ever better than it looks. I had a 64 convertible and I am trying to convince myself that I should try it again with the C6. I inspected the interior and the compartment between the seats surprised me on being so shallow. It is only sufficient to house a properly folded map. What is it with that? Comments?
  • Options
    If you want cup holders and storage it seems the best choice will be an SUV. The wife and I have done a few trips in the C5 coupe with the glove box and the centerconsole as the only covered storage and you adjust. Then again, that's fun but not why I'm in love with the car, getting up over 100mph every lap on any of 5 different road courses and not worrying about red lights is probably more to the point. Different strokes.
  • Options
    Learned today that the sales rep who got me my C-5 Vette last July "tragically and unexpectedly" passed away on the 5th. His name was Mark Kendall, and he was a "gearhead" friend [had a 65' restored Chevelle] as well as a wonderful guy, and a great salesman and rep of the dealership where he worked. He loved Corvettes and Caddys and I will miss him greatly. Please indulge me, I just had to pay this little tribute to him. What a downer of a day.
  • Options
    laurakatlaurakat Member Posts: 69
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to the corvette forum and admit I don't know a whole lot about vettes, so I'm looking for some advice.

My brother-in-law's selling his 82 Collectors Edition vette. He desperately needs cash and is willing to give me first dibs for half of it's market value. I'm trying to determine what market value is for this vette, and things I should look for. I should mention I've known him for over 15 years and trust him as I would a very close friend, so he won't try to hide anything from me.

It's got 80k miles. Exterior is near mint. Interior is solid for it's age, but not considered mint. It has all options available for the 82 Collectors Edition. Mechanically it should be sound. He hasn't driven it for over two years, but the last time he did he drove it round trip over 400 miles and said it ran fine. I suspect it may need a little attention since it's been idle for two years, but shouldn't need any major mechanical work. Tires are good and everything should be original.

So, can someone give me a ballpark on what it's worth? He's thinking mid teens, but admits he's not sure. I saw one sell on eBay for over $19k, but it was mint in and out w/ only 13k miles.

Thanks!

Mike
  • Options
    Well, if it's a #3 car with 80K, about $15K should do it. It's a rather low horsepower car made in considerable numbers (almost 7,000 of them) many of which are still around---so "collectibility" is really only marginal over a normal '82 coupe...a couple thousand dollars more at most, and sometimes not much at all.

I think around $7,500 would be a fair price from family.

Personally it's a car I would encourage you to use, enjoy, show off, fix up a bit and use up. It's not going to be all that valuable in the future and shouldn't be put away in storage. These were not the happy years for Corvette.
  • Options
    http://www.vetteweb.com/

Search on Price Guide.

Every April they publish a guide, prices a little high from what I see discussed but this is for those who really want a particular Corvette. Turns out the '82 Coll. Ed. is anywhere from $7.5k up.

Good Luck,

Very low power!

Randy
  • Options
    laurakatlaurakat Member Posts: 69
    Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately it will be in storage for a while in my parents third stall since I'm in MI and the car's in MN, and probably won't get it to MI for a few months :( I'd probably use it as an occassional weekend summer car...plus cruise down Woodward Ave during the Dream Cruise in August. I figure if he's willing to sell it to me for half it's market value, I can always turn around and sell it in the near future for a profit if I find I don't use it enough to justify it. Plus it'll look nice in my driveway even though it'd probably be embarassed at stoplight races from many modern front-drive sedans LOL. I've always liked the looks of that body style....such nice curves on her!
  • Options
    c5_4func5_4fun Member Posts: 59
    For what its worth, my father in-law recently sold his '82 Collector Edition with about 28k miles to family for $12K. It was loaded and very clean as it was always garaged under cover. However, I know it needed some work (brakes, seals, etc.) after having sat for the past couple years....so make sure you keep a couple bucks aside to ensure its safe to drive. I've watched pricing on this model over the past few years and I believe $15K is fair market pricing for a clean one. Its a pretty car, have fun with it.
  • Options
    Interesting...says here that you couldn't even get a manual transmission in 1982 on the Corvette. Horsepower is rated at 200.

But you know...heh...heh...all this can be remedied.....
  • Options
    I've had my eye on an '04 Z06 CE thats been sitting at the dealer with 14 miles on it. Any thoughts on its "collectability" down the road? I think window sticker is $57K, any idea on a fair price?
  • Options
    To #1184

The '04 Z06 CE will have an extremely small
    collectable value-almost everything was
    cosmetic,i.e., badging, carbon fiber top hood
    section (not total hood ) and the racing stripes
    are applique.To may taste, the seats are the
    ugliest I've seen in a Vette in years.The hood
    alignment is poor, it must be latched-pushed
    down on both sides.
    Last June('04), they were at every dealer
    for around $45,500. They should be a better
    deal now. If the extra $$ were put into HP and
    torgue, I think they would be a much better
    collectable--especially with the new Z with
    500 horses.
    If I was seriously shopping for one,I
    wouldn't go over $40K.
  • Options
    Merely cosmetic special editions don't do well in collectibility. Special hardware makes the difference usually.
  • Options
    Thanks for your insight on the Z06CE. Since I don't put many miles on my vette, I've been thinking about trading for one that is a little more unique and wanted to stay with the C5's as I enjoy driving them more than the previous versions.
    I decided to take my wife's Tahoe in for an oil change which gave me an excuse to head to the dealer. I got sidetracked in the showroom with a C6 coupe (6spd and Z51). I was informed they not only wanted MSRP but they also wanted $5K more for a "market adjustment". WOW!
  • Options
    Just keep telling yourself "patience is a virtue".
    These "market adjustments" are so temporary, especially in a Vette that is mass produced.
    I came from a long line of Toyota Supras but they quit producing them in '98 and the new C5 was getting very good press so started shopping. It was always "sticker plus" 3-5k. I stuck with the Supra. Then the Z06 hit in '01. Started shopping hard in about May of '01 for the Z06. Best I could do was sticker plus 3,500. In June it became sticker. I bought in July and got 5k off sticker so a two month wait saved me 8,500. The '02 was about to come out (late August) but I knew I would be faced with at least sticker at that time and my focus was to try the car out to see if it hit my expectations and if it did, I'd be in the market for the 405 hp one in '03.
    Was very impressed with my '01 and picked up an '03 in August of '03 when the '04's were about to hit the ground. Got it for dealer invoice, minus rebate.
    Just depends on how much you want to pay for "instant gratification".
    I'm in that prediciment now. The C6 Z06 will hit in about August...the specs are incredible and I want one, and will have one but as mentioned, patience will likely be a virtue so it depends on how much I am willing to pay for that proverbial instant gratification.
    At my age, it's frankly not costing me anything...I just keep telling my boys that I am spending their inheritance and they keep telling me "go for it"! Gotta love that sentiment.
  • Options
    Do yourself a favor and look on the internet. Local dealers do get that kind of excess from the impulse shopper but you can get several $K off MSRP if you want a Coupe. The Vert is another story since they are still delivering some orders that were taken before deliveries started last August, it got a late start in build. That will work itself out soon and then it will start a slow decline too.
    The CE is a nice car but I even see them at the track which is pretty hard on cosmetics and they made plenty so I expect they will be available in the future, especially from people who want to trade up to 500hp.
  • Options
    otownvetteotownvette Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at getting a C6 convertible. I will not be autocrossing nor are the roads by me good enough to necessitate the Z51 package. Should I consider the Magnetic Ride Control? What does is really do? Is it worth the $1600? Will I notice a difference over the base setup?

Thanks.
  • Options
    There is nothing like a convertible !! i.e., urban cruising in Los Angeles, (PCH) Pacific Coast Highway run to Santa Barbara and other points north along Highway One. Or even doing a Napa winery tour (sure glad your car knows the way)

However for greater expanses and the more normal cruising speeds (that the Corvette is made) will beat me to death. I also like the hermetically sealed feeling. I am not sure how I would like the drive to Las Vegas, NV in 104 degree ambient temperatures.

In regards to the worth of the MRC @ 1600, I think it is a real slick application. You might contrast that with the normal suspension and/or the Z51 package in that when it comes time for SACH's shock replacement (2004 on down, I really have no idea what the 2005 new parts changes are)a set of 2004 improved rebound shocks will set you back app 350 dollars vs the 1600.