Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Corvettes and all things about them

Comments

• Options
    laurakatlaurakat Member Posts: 69
    Quick update. I agreed to buy this from my brother-in-law for $6300, in fact I'll be sending him a check this afternoon. I tried to convince him to try selling on the open market since he'd probably get at least 10k or more, but he's in desperate financial straights right now and needs money ASAP. I kind of feel sorry for the guy...I guess this is a way of helping him out, plus I think he feels better that his vette is staying within the family. I've always wanted a "weekend vette" but couldn't justify the cost at this stage in my life. This price however was too good to pass up. I'll be picking her up in April when I travel back to MN to take care of my father. Can't wait!
  • Options
    starrow68starrow68 Member Posts: 1,142
    Hard to tell you about the MSRC option. I can say that everyone who I talk to about it at club meetings raves about how nice it is on long trips. Of course I like my Z51 for trips because the car is so much fun to drive anywhere. That about sums up a Corvette, the smile keeps getting bigger.

As for the '82 CE, enjoy the ride, it won't be current but if it's clean and you like going for local cruises you will probably have a blast telling people how long it's been 'in the family'.
  • Options
    motorhead1motorhead1 Member Posts: 110
    I have a 1991 Corvette with 20000 miles on it. The tires on it have lots of tread but they have dry rot cracks. I`ve looked at many tires from many companys and I think I have decided to by Goodyear HP ultra. Now, someone told me that the Goodyear was too soft and would wear fast but I`m not going to race this car just drive it on weekends. Help!!
  • Options
    tschuxtschux Member Posts: 7
    Hi folks, I am finally ready to buy my first new vette (previously owned a 68 & 70), I plan on ordering a 2006 C6 Z51 coupe. However, when talking with my local California dealers, who are still caught up in the 2005 new model frenzy, they assured me that when I come back in August to order, the price will not be under MSRP. I have read in previous messages to consider looking at the big internet dealers- who are these internet dealers? I would appreciate the name of the on-line dealers or sites to get the best deal on a new C6. Thanks!
  • Options
    bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Try Corvetteconti.com; Kerbeck.com; and Corvetteking.com. Conti is at Spitzer Chevy in Cleveland area, Kerbeck is the biggest seller of Corvettes in the world and is in Atlantic city; and Corvetteking-Les Standford is in Dearborn, MI. There are other good sized dealers out there, but those are 3 whose sites I visit frequently.
  • Options
    tschuxtschux Member Posts: 7
    Thanks bigmike!
  • Options
    ON the tires I'd go to Tirerack.com and look at the specs for that tire. The Michelin's I run on my 2002 coupe that are run flats have a 400 wear rating and the Z06 Goodyear supercars that I run at the track on the same car have a wear rating of 220. I understand from other sources that a wear rating of 140 is about the transition to race tires from street tires. Goodyear also have the GS-CS, I think, was the OEM tire on the 95 Corvette. I've also found that America's Tire seems to have good people who know some and can look up what was OEM and is now the similar replacement. They are discounttire.com on the web.
    Randy
  • Options
    You can also try the dealers listed on corvetteforum.com and corvetteactioncenter.com. I'm in Calif. and have gotten two Vettes from Ken Fichtner in Laurel, MT off the web. As noted back a few posts the pricing now depends on if you want a coupe or the convertible. The coupe got over produced when the vert took too long to get up to production. Lower price on the one than the other. Local dealers always hold out for top dollar, waiting for impulse buyer. Internet dealers know you can go elsewhere and if you do good research you can get several $K lower pricing. I'm guessing that the coupe is available for $2k off MSRP or more and the vert is MSRP but no markup. Good luck.
    Randy
  • Options
    c5_4func5_4fun Member Posts: 59
    Any other C5's come to mind on this topic? What about the 50th anniversary with the ride control?
  • Options
    Just for the record, 11.6k 50th's produced and 65% were verts. They all came with the MSRC and only 15k total came with it, so finding it on a non-50th may be the trick. As I found when looking for a C4, nice 40th's were asking more than other close years but I didn't see much value so I went with a '95 as a daily driver. What value will a 50th have to a buyer of a used car in 10 or 15 years?
    As to current electronic cars being collectible I just wonder about fixing systems in 25 or 35 years. Upgraded any Atari 64k computers lately? That was only 20 years ago. My Father-in-law is keeping some Model-A's on the road and we are keeping an early 70's MB running but to get it fixed, either the parts are available or you can get somebody to make something. Will that be true in the future? I'm not real sure.
    Randy
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Anniversary models haven't done much in the collector market, regardless of the type of car. A little bump sometimes, that's about it. For the 25th, 30th, 35th and 40th cars, about $3,000 premium at most. For a 50th, maybe if you're lucky $5,000 over normal price. Hardly worth what you paid to get it in the first place, and certainly not worth "storing" these cars as if they were going to bring big bucks. They ain't.

Given the large numbers modern Corvettes are being produced in, best to just drive these cars and wear them out. If you're thinkin' 1953 model prices, it's not going to happen.
    Probably the last rare Corvette was the ZR1 and even those you have maybe over 7,000 cars---not exactly a scarcity,.

Oh, I guess the Calloway twin turbo would be worth quite a bit more money than a stock car.
  • Options
    c5_4func5_4fun Member Posts: 59
    Thanks for the insight. You and Randy sound like some other corvette nuts I know that have told me to keep what I've got or get a new one with the latest, greatest technology and drive it!
  • Options
    andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,392
    Despite it's staggering performance, I think GM missed a real opportunity when they redesigned the Corvette, this essay articulates why better than I could....

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/06/automobiles/06AUTOS.html

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• Options
    People will have to register to read that I think.

Shifty
  • Options
    gbjerkegbjerke Member Posts: 158
    OK Shifty, you got me. You wrote or agree with the article?
    Guess I think the review is a mix....one helluva car performance-wise but has some drawbacks.
    Cannot argue with you there but for the $$$, it seems like a great sled.
    So...tell us what you really think.
  • Options
    No, I didn't write with it or take a stand on it. I'm not sure what the point of the article was actually.

My basic approach to comparing cars is that generally, usually you either "get what you pay for" or you get a bit "less than what you pay for". I can't recall anyone selling a $100K car for $50K however.

Actually the article does make one good point, though--that a car on paper is not the real car, and without living with it you can't reallly make an informed commentary.
  • Options
    jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    IMHO, all cars are a disappointment in some areas because they are made by people and people never seem to get it 100% right.

I personally think the C6 is a great leap forward. I just sold my Lexus IS300 SportCross and ordered one. 2 years ago I couldn't have imagined I would ever own a GM car again (last one was in 83).
  • Options
    I do think, though, that a C6 is the kind of car that you "get" right away. One test drive really tells you what you need to know, because the car is rather purpose-built as opposed to trying to please everyone.

Given the popularity of the C5 and the good press, I probably would have done the same as GM did this time around. But DEFINTELY the bar has to go up next model, or the C6 will be left behind. You KNOW the Japanese and Germans are busy busy busy as we speak.
  • Options
    mondmond Member Posts: 79
    The NY Times article is excellent and expressed my disappointment in the C6. Who asked for more probelmatic electronics on a sports car? Keep it simple stupid! I had enough of a problem when the C5 locked it's electronic steering column. GM is adding things to the vette that no one asked for or wants. They work most of the electronic bugs on the C5 as it nears the end of it's cycle. Why change the electronics on the C6 except for engine management? It is completly unnecessary. If they have more money to spend, use real aluminum in the interior instead of cheap $25 boom box silver painted plastic. The article is EXCELLENT.
  • Options
    But you know all manufacturers are doing this. I just didn't understand why he called out GM on this. Useless gee-gaws are packed into just about every new 2006 along with the useful ones. I mean, Mercedes vibrating seats? Now that's appalling.
  • Options
    jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    Probably the keyless ignition has proven to be the most temperamental from the reports that I have seen. Radio interference and other electronic gremlins have created a few problems for a few owners. Some of the other high tech items are pretty much mandatory now, like stability control which helps keep insurance costs down.

The trouble with the HUD is you can't really say you weren't looking at the speedo the next time you get pulled over and the cop asks you how fast you were going??
  • Options
    blacktalonblacktalon Member Posts: 203
    The NYT article reminds me of why the NYT always gets on my nerves. I still read it, because the reporting is often good, but the attitude, I could do without.

So we have a car that offers amazing performance for a bargain price, great handling, the best ride of any sports car the reviewer has ever driven, and the article slams it for . . . not being GM's version of a Lancer Evolution.

Don't get me wrong -- the Evo is a great car, as the C6 is also a great car. They're great cars because the designers decided to take an idea and push that idea to its extreme. Personally, I'd love to see GM come out with a high-revving AWD sports car to compete with the Evo and STi. But it wouldn't be a Corvette.

What the C6 is, is the best Corvette ever, and the NYT writer just doesn't get it...
  • Options
    Exactly...the writer doesn't want it to be a Corvette, he wants it to be a Japanese car or an M3 or something. It's like an article criticizing lions for not being cheetahs. What's the point?
  • Options
    yz250yz250 Member Posts: 1
    How reliable is the C5? The latest addition of Corvette magazine (May 2005) has a article on excessive oil consumption. How common is that problem (rings)? I would like to buy a C5, which year is best for reliability?
  • Options
    Excellent response! After watching two Evo's roll at the last driving event I attended I'm not sure I'd want something that would move in that direction.
    I'll also agree about the HUD and not being able to ignore how fast you are going, it keeps you aware all the time. Just wish I didn't know how much less they will cost in a couple years and the C5's at home are great so I'll wait. How much is enough.
    As to the oil consumption, my 2002 doesn't seem to have any issue on the road in normal driving but I do top off a 1/3 to 1/2 quart at the track and it is usually down to full after a day and a half, so I keep an eye on it. Makes me wonder about those that report this with only normal driving. The wife's 2004 has yet to add between changes.
    Randy
  • Options
    If you are tracking the car, a bit of oil consumption is a good sign. Most race motors are built loose---they want some oil up there in the combustion chamber and they want clearances that will not clamp up under extreme stress and heat.

I drive my car hard and I'd be concerned if it didn't use a little oil.
  • Options
    I'd heard that some but am still in the stage where I don't believe everything I hear. The wife really babys her '04 and with less than 10k on the odo it will take a trip with me doing some driving to see how it's really doing. My '02 does seem to be pretty strong at the track after two years so I'll just consider it luck, at this point.
    The one area where I don't seem to agree with all the track junkies is with the brakes. I'm still running stock, lines, rotors and pads and while I'm not setting track records I've gotten within about 3 to 5% of those in my power to weight class running stock suspension and street tires. For me the stock brakes seem to match well with the rest of the setup. Although, since I'm just a little paranoid I am changing out fluid and pads regularly, not a place to come up short. Next time out will be first visit to Reno-Fernley in early April so going to find out how altitude impacts things. Have to go watch some CSRG at Sears Point later this month.
    randy
  • Options
    The oil consumption is easy to understand if you think of the oil being burned as an aid to valve stem/guide life.

I'm a big believer in flushing out the brake fluid if it's been stressed. Also I read a chart once that plotted brake efficiency against the amount of water absorbed in brake fluid that's been in there a while, and it was pretty frightening. It doesn't take much water at all to cut your brake efficiency way down.
  • Options
    The only oil usage issue I have heard about is the '01 Z06. Some of those drank huge amounts of oil. I was a single ring problem and many replaced under warrenty. Remedy was made in '02+'s.
    My '01 Z drank some; my '03, not a drop.
  • Options
    The brake discussion is an interesting one. Many I talk to insist on the need to switch to high temp fluid and then don't change as often. I stay with the stock fluid and change after 3 days in warm weather, and 5 or 6 in cold weather. The stock fluid is set to not absorb as much water while the high temp is much more prone to doing so, if I've understood correctly. That sort of leads to changing frequently being the solution no matter which you run.
    But, my basic theory is that stock pads don't generate as much heat as race pads since they simply don't stop you as fast, which is why the fluid doesn't get as hot, which is why the stock lines are acceptable if you simply don't push too hard. Anyway, as the Miata's I some times chase to pass seem to figure out, hitting the brakes is not the best way around the track, learning to carry speed seems to lower my times a lot more than relying on the engine to make up what I lose in entering a corner slower than I need to. It's a fun set of issues to occupy a day or so at any track, and even an evening once in awhile for some bench racing when on the road.

Off to Reno-Fernley in a couple weeks, a good track to carry speed.
    Randy
  • Options
    xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    The fenders of the 2005 Corvette look like the fenders of the C2 and C3 Corvettes.

The 2006 Corvette Z06 will take on all comers, except for some exotics. Plus, the factory backs the new Corvette C6-R in the American Le Mans Series, like the C5-R.

• Options
    If you think the 05 Corvette copies Ferrari, which is no bad thing, please note the fenders of C2 and C3 Corvettes.

Bring on the Z06!

mmmm...I smell Kentucy-fried Porsches!
  • Options
    That writer wanted the new Corvette to have awd!

awd is nice but it just wouldn't make sense in a Corvette. I can't think of a Ferrari being having awd.
  • Options
    That'd be a bad idea. It deadens the car's feel.
  • Options
    Is anyone going to check out the Corvette C6-Rs that will race at the 12 hours of Sebring this weekend? They will race in the American Le Mans Series.
  • Options
    Looking forward to that as well as the World Speed Challenge race too. I think it runs earlier but is delayed broadcast on Sunday, not sure, I have to find a sports bar with that feed, nothing at home.
    Go Corvette!

BTW, in testing the Vette's were only a couple tenths faster than the Aston DBR9, and what looked like a privateer C5-R was only just back of that, should be good racing.
  • Options
    Just FYI, links to live info:
    http://www.americanlemans.com/paddock/paddock_active.aspx

Go to live radio if interested.

And for live timing, the C6 leading GT1 early:
    http://www.imsaracing.net/2003/lt/ltc.html

Randy
  • Options
    roxie59roxie59 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 1961 corvette. It had a powerglide transmission in it. I've changed it to a turbo 350. The problem is finding a linkage that fits in the original floorboard. If anyone knows what will work I'd be greatfull.
  • Options
    Reading Vette Magazine they answer that kind of question all the time. They really cater to the older projects and do a lot of similar work, it's a great read.
    http://www.vetteweb.com/

Good luck with the project!
    Randy
  • Options
    sandramaesandramae Member Posts: 1
    bought a 1999 Convertible with 16K miles on it, I am 3rd owner and its been 20 years since I last owned a Corvette. The lights on the rear view mirror come on randomly when the car is parked, ignition off and doors are closed but unlocked. Mostly this happens during the night. Lights stay on anywhere from 10-20 minutes then go out. This happens zero to twice a night. It was suggested this may be part of a security system check. The security system was enabled when I bought the car). The previous owner does not know anything about this light business. Can anyone comment on this. Is this part of the security system or an annoying electrical problem. I don't remember seeing anything about this in the owners manual.
  • Options
    The Aston Martin DBR9 won the GT1 class at the 12 hous of Sebring. The DBR9 will race again at Laguna Seca this summer. The C6-R will race all season long.

C6-R from the 12 Hours of Sebring.

• Options
    From my '02 I'd say you have something wrong. Don't notice mine ever on unless I do something to cause it. Also, if it's going on at night only, it might be that is just when you notice it as they are tough to see during the day.
  • Options
    Thanks for the Sebring pictures. Looking forward to both the Sonoma GP and the Laguna Seca season ending race. Seems we might have converted a few more to interest in Corvette racing over the weekend.
    Just back from a 3 day school at Reno-Fernley raceway with Next Level Driving School with 30 Corvettes and 33 drivers. Great showing of folks that want to get to know more about driving a performance car. Several C-6's and a mid-year to round out the mostly C-5 and a few C-4's attending. The track is a 2.2 mile road course that is higher speed than both Sears Point or Laguna. Great place to work up to speed.
    Now, getting back through the snow storm over the summit wasn't the best close to the weekend but didn't slow me down too much that I couldn't catch one session at Sears Point in the afternoon. Fun weekend.
    Randy
  • Options
    bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Do the Chain Monkeys work on Vettes? I have never come through Donner Pass, no matter, summer, fall, winter or spring, when there wasn't "Snow" on the summit area. It was the most amazing place to go through. :)
  • Options
    Ah, snow beside the road, not bad, snow on the road but no chain requirements, not good. 36 degrees at the inspection station and then down to 27 degrees going down the hill to CA, not enough to freeze on the lanes but lots of slush between the lanes and too much crap being kicked up by the semi's. Ugly in a Vette!
  • Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    I also think the owners manual specifically recommends against any traction aid : as in chains or "cable" chains.

One year, on a late September time frame road trip, I caught a Rocky Mountain snow storm "just right". I was on the road pitch black AT NIGHT, high altitude, when a storm dumped a good bit of snow! When I arrived in Pagosa Springs, CO, it was snowing and continued to shower snow and over night hit 20 degrees! Great for a soak in the outdoor hot springs, with 20 degrees and the stars peeking through and snow flakes drifting all over! The subsequent travel days were mercifully free of snow! I had nightmares of coming back in the spring to retrive the Corvette!!
  • Options
  • Options
    http://motortrend.com/features/consumer/112_0502_corvettez06/

Just a rehash of the details with a little speculation.
  • Options
    I'm salivating for this car!!! Question is pricing...at the 75k+ number it will be a buyers market. Not when it hits mind you, but after a few months the pricing will cool. When you get to the 80k range, a lot of people will look at the 911. Not the performer the new Z will be but a lot of us may want to look at what this sled will be worth in 2 years. The Vettes drop like a rock...I know, I've had two Z06's...love them, but very disappointed in resale value.
    If the General were smart (which he is obviously not), he would bring this car to market EARLY this summer...like NOW! To introduce this car (as an '06) in the fall is moronic IMHO. A sports car...a spring, summer, fall ride depending on where you live. To put out this car in the 4th quarter is STUPID!
    Yet, I want one and will have one...depends on pricing and that will govern my purchase. At 65K, I'll have one early...more than that, I'll wait a bit.
  • Options
    theprof3theprof3 Member Posts: 1
    One of the best aftermarket convertible tops for the Corvette is installed by the same Florida company that does tops for the Cadillac Eldorado and the Jag.

If you have crossed paths with such as this, perhaps you have witnessed a definitive method of reference upon which finance companies rely for an accurate appraisal of the added loan value of the aftermarket convertible top, rather than a wild guess or zero due to the fact that it isn't in a book.

Please give me a solid idea to give to a finance company's appraiser so that he will not value it at or near zero because of the absence of written evidence in a book.

Thanks for any help.