Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    That's okay, I understood that going in. I lowered my expectations of sound quality to be able to quickly and easily listen to the music format of my choice.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Ah.. That's fair. I would expect to get top notch bandwidth if I'm going to pay for a service like radio (be it HD or Satellite or whatever).

I'm already mad at Cox Cable because I've noticed that not only does HD video just BARELY get enough bandwidth to not pixilate in my neighborhood, but the sound quality coming out of HD channels is far from HD-like. It isn't even digital cable like! And I'm paying them a fortune every month! Something's gonna give soon!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Ahhh... now that makes sense. The car isn't the best medium to listen to music, but is often the one most available time and schedule wise.

That being said, higher quality source and output couldn't hurt! It can only help.

A Lexus is going to be far quiter at 65 MPH than your typical vehicle over rough noisy pavement, so some cars might fare better than others. Even the type of tires you buy can make a big difference with "driving" noise.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    edited October 2011
    The recording (mastering/mixing) has a much bigger effect on fidelity than the bitrate.

Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense" is one of the best sounding discs out there, and it's "just" DTS. On the other hand, I have some SACD's that sound like junk even though they're 24/192. The Police "Every Breath You Take - The Singles" sounds terrible.

Most of the time, I can barely (if at all) tell the difference between a Redbook CD and SACD even when listening carefully with headphones. In a car?!?! Forget about it.

The best thing about the Acura sound system is the surround sound. That's definitely worthwhile and is what truly makes it stand apart from the others.

Mark, do you have any Porcupine Tree DVD-A's? You must get some - they will blow you away!
  • billyperksiibillyperksii Member Posts: 198
    Mark:
    I am guessing you have about twenty years on me (I am seventies baby) :)

If you have the internet on your smartphone- all you need to do is go to the Pandora site and create an account (free with limited commercilas- upgrades are available), you create your own stations (artist, songs, era etc etc ) and just sync it to the bluetooth feature in the car- Its that simple- I find it good for long trips with the kids, they create their stations we hit the road and they enjoy the ride.
    I can stream pandora, nobex, iheartradio from my blackberry through my car's speakers, but why? I have much more variety on XM, it sounds better, and doesn't cost that much.

If one is going to plunk down $40+ for a TL or G37 and pay expensive dealer maintenance(at least Acura, I'll find out about Infiniti, first two services are free) and put premium in the car, then what is another $150/year for an XM subscription. Makes no sense to me not to get it.

But I guess to each their own.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    I'm with you!
  • renssilsrenssils Member Posts: 24
    Sticky summer tires transformed the roadholding and handling of my 2012 TL SH-AWD Advantage, which came with 245/40-19 tires. I bought ContiExtreme DW, which are quieter and smoother riding to boot. The OEM all-season Goodyear tires are mediocre.
    I was with XM for several years then they came out with this Royalty Fees which I think was presumptuous for them to pass on to the customers-thats why I left.
    I find streaming to be the future of radio listening- who wants to pay to listen to the radio- I know I dont, considering the multiple FREE options available.

Secondly, the streaming sound quality is above average through the Acura speakers- cannot attest to the Bose.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Don't you pay for bandwidth? If you're streaming for 1-2 hours a day don't you have overage charges? Doesn't XM have better coverage?

I don't do either...but if you're paying for content it doesn't matter if it is called Radio, XM, streaming, or magnetic pulses...as long as the content is of high quality...and you place enough value on it to pay for it...it all equals the same to me.
    The recording (mastering/mixing) has a much bigger effect on fidelity than the bitrate.

I agree, the engineering of the recording and the quality of the mastering and mixing matters more than the source itself.

There are bum DVD-A and SACD's just like their are incompetent regular CD's too.

A well recorded and mixed DVD-A or SACD will still be noticeably better than a well recorded regular old CD. The potential is just higher, and of course allows 5.1 mixing.

Fleetwood Mac's Rumours DVD-A is an example of a high quality mixing/mastering on the medium of DVD Audio.
    I recently bought The Conti Extreme Contact DW's in 235/40/18 trim for my Audi A3.
    Best tires I've ever had.

9/10ths + of the performance of an EXTREME performance tire. (going beyond Max performance).
    Lightyears better ride comfort and far superior minimal road noise. Quiet, comfortable, but with loads of traction.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Don't renew after the free trial is up & they'll send you a letter offering it to you for $77 for a year.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

To late, I overpaid a little but I got traffic and weather.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    I've been doing a 5 month $23 and some change XM subscription and just keep threatening to cancel and I just renew this. The pain is you have to do it every 5 months but at least its costing much less per year.
    For now it is what it is, but I'll be smarter next year.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited October 2011
    fedlawman....once again, you've proven your expertise in both cars and audio.... ;)

Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense" is one of the best sounding discs out there, and it's "just" DTS. On the other hand, I have some SACD's that sound like junk even though they're 24/192. The Police "Every Breath You Take - The Singles" sounds terrible.

Most of the time, I can barely (if at all) tell the difference between a Redbook CD and SACD even when listening carefully with headphones. In a car?!?! Forget about it.

The best thing about the Acura sound system is the surround sound. That's definitely worthwhile and is what truly makes it stand apart from the others.

Mark, do you have any Porcupine Tree DVD-A's? You must get some - they will blow you away!

Trying to remember who told me, but from a reliable source.......the ELS sound system in the TL-Tech is made by Pioneer. Why they don't brand it, I really don't know. It might be Acura's choice. I know for awhile, Acura was using car systems by Clarion, but the current ones that come with the tech packages (not sure about the source for their standard stereos) are from Pioneer.

Long and short of it, I think Acura used to use Bose, and advertised that they did (requirement from Bose, perhaps?). But, that was several years ago. Since then, they never advertise who makes their car stereos (same for Honda).

It's still the best car sound system I've ever listened to. That includes the HK system in my 335i (which is no slouch) and the B&O systems I heard in the Audis I test drove.

BTW...agreed on Porcupine Tree. Also see if you can find the DVD-A disk from Dishwalla called Opaline. Don't get the "dual disk" one, but the DVD-A version.

YES-Fragile is probably the best DVD-A I've ever heard.

Too bad that format never really took hold. Also too bad my HK system in the BMW doesn't play DVD-A disks, either.

I find the HK system in the BMW to sound better streaming from my iPhone than it does when Sirious or HD RADIO is the source.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    When I was competing in car audio contest, the disk's I use for sound quality was George Micheal's "Faith" album. For me one of the best produced albums of that decade. Next was Michael Jackson's "BAD" then Simple Red "Picture Book" then Sade "Diamond Life" lastly Metallica"Metallica" its been years since I have competed but these were the disk I used.
  • sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    George Michael and Sade, nice -but no Barbara ?
    edited October 2011
    "Also see if you can find the DVD-A disk from Dishwalla called Opaline. Don't get the "dual disk" one, but the DVD-A version.

YES-Fragile is probably the best DVD-A I've ever heard."

I have Fragile on "Half-Speed Mastered" MFSL vinyl and MFSL "Ultradisc II" CD. I haven't seen the DVD-A but did see it on HDTracks as a 24/96 download. I will check it out!

I will definitely check out Opaline too. I've never heard of it but if you are recommending it, that's good enough for me.
    Dishwalla Opaline is available from Amazon in DVD-A for under $12 if anyone cares.
    Ordered! Thanks!
    fedlawman.....unfortunately, I think the DVD-A of YES's-Fragile is out of print. Flea-bay has them every once in awhile used. But, they bring stupid money. I figure I'll just hold onto mine as I have an OPPO multi-format blu ray player to play my modest collection.

Let me know what you think of Opaline.

nurse....I was never a George Michael or Metallica fan. Not sure I'll ever be one.

Was in Florida for work last week. Hertz gave me a Fusion. Those are nice little drivers. I was surprised at how well it drove.

Was very happy to get back into my 3 at the airport when I got home, though.
    edited October 2011
    Yeah, I've seen the silly prices those out of print DVD-A's and SACD's fetch (or try to fetch anyway). I own a few discs that are supposedly worth a fortune (Patricia Barber - Modern Cool and Roxy Music - Avalon to name two).

I've ripped all my DVD-A's for hi-rez 2-channel streaming, but for surround and SACD listening, I have kept all my discs as well (I have an Oppo too).

I will let you know how I like Opaline!

And to get back on topic - as great as they sound, if I had a TL, I don't think I'd risk playing any of those DVD-A's in the car unless I was just sitting in the driveway. It would be a shame to scratch something irreplaceable.

EDIT: My co-worker has a Fusion Hybrid for work. I drove it for a while while my Malibu Hybrid (don't laugh, I didn't choose it...LOL!) was at the shop for a battery recall. The Fusion is quick and handles well, but I didn't like the seatbacks (they pushed on my shoulder blades and created hotspots) or the unrefined engine noise.
    And to get back on topic - as great as they sound, if I had a TL, I don't think I'd risk playing any of those DVD-A's in the car unless I was just sitting in the driveway. It would be a shame to scratch something irreplaceable.

I don't think I can trace the blame for any scratches on a disk to any of my car stereo's over the years.

One of the benefits of SACD and DVD-A was supposed to be that it was either scratch resistant or almost immune to sensitivity from minor scratches. They are supposed to be quite durable.

So far, I have none that cause any skipping issues, but then again, I have not seen any DVD-A or SACD systems sold for vehicles yet (other than factory Acura system).

Are these disks really irreplaceable? Maybe OPPO will come out with an SACD/DVD-A burner someday.
    Noticed the new 3 series has been posted on BMW website. It seems BMW had gone the route of sport, Lux and mix. 3 cars that have different personalities . Like the way the new sport model looks - hope they hold pricing to 2011 levels. The 4 cyl is an interesting option - I mean if they can get the performance of the current 328 - with highway Mpgs in the low to mid 30's it will be very interesting- plus it still a rwd platform so turns will continue to be fun. A hybrid will prob be in tenge near future as well. Nice to see the leader continuing to evolve - this should make Infiniti react - this could get interesting
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    By "new", do you mean the new body style (VanHooydonk designed, rather than Bangle) ?
    I saw that last night, the new turbo 4 is an interesting engine, in the Z4 the turbo 4 s faster then the 3 liter, so hopefully the new 3 will faster too. I like the interior of the sport model, so far one can not build the new car until it is showed at the LA auto show.
    Yes its a whole new car...
    I really liked the looks of the new 3. The specs for the turbo 4 should up the ante quite nicely in the performance arena. Making about 260 hp should put the 328 in a whole new ballgame. While it may not be the speed demon of the 335, it should hold it's own against some of the other midsize sedans that offer in the mid-250s hp.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    From my perspective, the horsepower race has gotten out of hand and now even the lowest power 3-Series is more than powerful enough even if other similar sized vehicles offer more power for less money.

To underscore that point, my 2002 530i 5-Speed was just about as perfect a car for my needs, wants, and desires from a size, power, feature, and performance perspective as there could ever be, and the new 3-Series will (or should) have a tad more space inside, weigh about the same, have considerably more power, perform even better, get better fuel economy, and cost less. Could it be that the new 328i 6-Speed with the 2.0 liter blown mill will be even more perfecter for me than my 5er? From everything I've seen and read about the F30, it definitely looks like that may be the case. :shades:
    That's Infiniti's mission statement-"more horsepower, courser engines and jerky rides".
    The 530 manual was the epitome of what represented a BMW. However, time marches on and things change. BMW has had to change with the times.

This new 328 hopefully will usher BMW into a new era for the 3 series. I really like the styling, hits the nail right on the head.
    I disagree with you. If you would like to explain your position instead of posting a drive-by shot at Infiniti please feel free to do so.
    Our first and only Infiniti, thus far, is a 2011. I cannot speak to or about what has gone before. Between my wife and I, we have had 29 Audis, 3 VW's 3 BMW's, 1 Infiniti and 1 Acura. I would say based on our ownership experiences and our many, many test drives, that your comment about Infiniti's mission statement has to be based on something you read (but not much) or some personal experience (?) you may have had sometime in the past -- or else you're just poking the fire for whatever reason.

I would say, at this point in my experience, that Infiniti is the Japanese BMW (praise for the Infiniti, that is) and that Acura is the Japanese Audi (praise primarily for Acura but actually some praise back at Audi, too.)

Courser engines? Well, at their RPM limits, Infiniti engines are not quite up to the BMW reputation of silky smoothness, but I would not think this is part of any kind of a mission statement. As to the comment jerky rides -- I will simply have to write that off as most likely coming from a position of ignorance or confusion. :confuse:
    edited November 2011
    While I agree that the "gotta have it" crowd buys a car for its specifications as written, some of us still buy a car for how well it fits the mission we're buying it for. When I bought my 530i it was the first time in my life I didn't opt for the largest/most powerful engine available for the model I was buying. I considered a 540i 6-Speed, but given how powerful and balanced the 530i was, I just couldn't justify the extra $8,000 (apples to apples).

Given that the F30 328i will weigh roughly 200 pounds less than my E39 530i, have (depending upon the source) anywhere from 20 to 40 more horsepower and 45 to 60 more pound-feet of torque, one might make the case that the F30 328i will be able to give an E39 540i 6-Speed a run for its money. In my mind, other than the paper specifications of the 328i and 335i versus the competition, the new baby 3er is, if anything, too powerful (not that I'm going to complain mind you).
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    'new baby 3er is, if anything, too powerful '
    Heresy, I say.
    - Ray
    TQ junkie.....
    2022 X3 M40i
    Not at all a surprising comment from a Torque Junkie! ;)
    Most premium car companies want to attract younger customers with their entry-level cars with the hopes that as they (the customer) get older they'll move up the line.

So what is BMW doing? Instead of grooming customers to move up to the 5-Series, instead they are simply turning the 3 into a 5.

If I want a 5, I'll buy a 5. BMW, gives us back our beloved 3!
    For my part I'm not comlaining; I'm going to be able to buy an extremely competitive replacement for my 530i, with ten year newer technology, better performance, better handling, better fuel economy, and for less money. Personally I could care less whether it says 328i or 530i on the trunk lid. :)
    328i is the new 530i. lol.
    Agreed. :P
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    120d is the new 325i.. :P

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I drove a 2001 325i for a few days and based upon the numbers BMW is throwing round about their new 2.0 liter diesel mill, I'm thinking a 120d would flat embarrass the E46 325i.
    edited November 2011
    Dan - Got back from a business trip today and had a package waiting for me. I just got done listening to Opaline (no quality time for 5.1 today, I listened to the 24/96 stereo track with my headphones).

Great album and sound - thanks for the recommendation! A worthy addition to my collection.
    Infinitis statement is working - they sell a boatload of cars- get good reviews - and continue to be relevant in this blog.
    The point I was trying to make is- Infiniti is spending so much time chasing BMW that they are getting left behind in the dust.
    Secondly, I base my buying on my own experience with the car and the features that fits my needs. Not like the gullible ones that goes by what some magazine articles states. I say this all the time, back in 2000 when I graduated college, I got a decent job in a brokerage shop making a relatively good salary. I wanted a car and saw the Mazda Millennia, every research I did gave the car thumbs down. Me and my infinite wisdom test drove the car for about 2 hours- car was incredible and gave zero problems for the 36 months that I leased it.
    I have no problems with Infiniti, I wanted the FX when they first came out, I went the NYC auto show to check it out and it was a big disappointment in terms of rear space accommodations. I wanted the G35x, same problem-space and in addition that awful growl that invades the cabin.
    The TL has been very very good in the 27 months of ownership, the next stop for me are the Germans-if Acura upgrades the RL to a V8, I will stick with the brand. Here is the short list for next car hunt-
    E550 4matic
    E63 (Depends on the bonus and incremental base pay increase)
    550 XI

What do you think SWEENYDOG?????
    fedlawman...glad you enjoyed "Opaline". It's one of my faves....especially in surround.

While the weather is still nice (high 60s....in November, no less), I'm going to have to do a "get ready for winter" detail. Of course, now that the time change occurred, I'm hoping the weather holds out for the weekend, since it's too dark to do after work.

After 4K miles, I'm averaging 23.4 MPG in my 335i xDrive. Pretty darn good. I'm pleased.
    I too have my copy of Opaline DVD-A. I like it A LOT. It reminds me of a mash-up of sounds from a couple of other groups, dominated by a kind of Hootie and the Blowfish sound but with a touch more of an acoustic mood.

Hard to beat for the price and in the TL it is a tasty treat of tunage!

Try some of the DTS offerings, if you get a chance -- also quite a treat, usually.
    Having just bought a G37, I spent a week with it on a trip. I'm not impressed with Acura TL, they have not really moved forward in few years. And while I did a boat load of driving and looking, my wife and I were on the same page regarding the Acura, just no interest.

The cabin was too big for me along with the turning radius.

The G37 is a very compelling package. A fully loaded car, except the tech package cost me what a basic 335 would have been. (The 2012 M is really sweet and the M hybrid is gorgeous.) Does BMW fulfill it's mission better, yep. Would I rather be driving a 550 yep or even a 335, yep. But there are always compromises in life.