Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you currently drive a 2019 Ford Ranger and live in Michigan?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Subaru Crew Cafe

Comments

• I get these panic attacks. I begin to think that GM and Ford will buy up the world's auto makers just to turn all cars in the the dreck that they produce. They can't win by making a better car so they'll win by pulling everyone down to their level. As a Subaru enthusiast, this really bothers me. I suppose Daimler-Chryler could be put into the same pot -- the seed of rot jumps from Chrysler to Daimler.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    5.3l V8 is available as an option, only in the Isuzu, not the Chevy or GMC, so that in-itself is good, boosts towing to 7800lbs.

Other than that it gets the 10/120 warranty and 3/50K BtoB

That V8 specific engine may win over a lot of the people who don't want to jump up to a full-sized truck but still want 3 rows of seats.

4wd is the crappy one from the GMs.

-mike
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,788
    GO TERPS!!

Bob
    is more full-size than a Tahoe or Expedition, if you consider the wheelbase of those vehicles.

Bob
    But I'll see the ASSender on wed @ the NY auto-show. I was just going on perception. I could live with the Ascendor if:

o It was produced at SIA or Isuzu in Japan
    o It had up-right seating like the Full-size vehicles and the Trooper
    o Decent sized OEM moonroof
    o TOD or similar "advanded" 4wd system rather than the same old garbage

The bumpers and ground clearance can be fixed (bumpers cause the worst angles of approach/departure of any SUV in class)

-mike
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,785
    We will be 'moving out' of a super 2 bedroom condo we rented for a week in Williamsburg tomorrow morning, and beginning the trek home. It is a "time share" unit in one of Sunterra Corps vacation resorts. So of course, we went to the dreaded 'sales pitch' to get the free tickets to Bush Gardens!

But I have to admit that I am intrigued by the concept. Are any of you owners (or know someone who is) in a vacation/trade program, on either a 'weeks' or 'points' basis???

Steve
  • kmartedkmarted Posts: 2
    I am about to make my decision on which Outback wagon to buy- one with the 4-cylinder engine or a 6-cylinder LLBean. The dealer I am working with has offered extremely good prices on each of these models. I'd like to hear the opinion of those that have the 4 cylinder- are you satisfied with it or do you wish you had the 6 cylinder? Also, for those of you that have the 6 cylinder- are you glad you spent to extra $$, or in retrospect is this a bit of overkill?

I do most of my driving on city streets and highways around Atlanta. Occasionally I'll head up to the hills of N. Georgia, N. Carolina, or Tennesee. I might be hauling another passenger, some mountain bikes, and/or climbing and camping gear.

Thanks in advance for any information and thoughts.
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    The four cylinder engine is fairly peppy when mated to a 5-speed manual transmission. While you do need to work the RPM band a bit, it should suffice for most of your OB driving needs.

If you are looking for a 4-speed auto, then the H6 will be a better match. Also, if you plan on towing, the H6 and auto is obviously a better match too.

Have you driven both? In general, the H6 will be smoother and quieter. If you can afford the extra $$ and don't want a 5-speed, then the LL Bean is a great buy.

Ken
  • twrxtwrx Posts: 647
    How can I resist being from Newburgh IN.

TWRX
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    (scratching head wondering why this topic isn't in MTM...)

drive a H4 AT too and judge for yourself. ;)

while I agree that a 5sp MT or perhaps a 5sp AT would be better in the H4, the 4EAT does just fine for us in our '00 OB. you also have to take into consideration the 50/50 split for the MT and 80/20 split for the AT. one is reactive, the other proactive. one has a vc, the other multiplate clutch.... etc., etc., etc.

try to drive what you're comfortable with. take any of the models for an extended test drive and get a feel for how each uses the available power.

-Brian
    (taking cover as I re-read this and see that I almost sounded like the WRX AT thread... ;)
    Well I just drove my dad's '97 Legacy with 80K miles, 2.2l H4 AT in auto-x and finished 44/136 and 2nd in my class of 6 cars. So the AT can't be that bad! :)

-mike
    A few weeks ago, while goofing around in Photoshop, I created a Jeep Liberty pickup. I sent the image to a Jeep site I visit, and Mike (the site master) and I agreed this would be great to use as an April Fools posting on his site. So we combined to come up with a press release to go with the image.

The image just went up, so at the moment there are no responses to it. However, be forewarned: Most people who visit this site are hardcore Jeepers who hate the Liberty, so I don't expect favorable responses. Still, it should be fun...

Bob

http://www.onetomany.com/jeepnews/indexnoflash.htm
    More Japanese trucks acomin'...

http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=38839<

Blackwood, not one of Ford's "Better Ideas," to die. (Can't get link to work! Argh!)

http://www.autonews.com/

Subaru hopes to increase sales to 250,000 by 2005; an increase of 34% as compared to 2001. (Can't get link to work! Argh, again!)

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Assender, LOL!

I really was hoping Isuzu would use just the GM platform, and come up with their own interior and exterior. GM engines are OK, but why not the Ward's 10 Best Duramax built by Isuzu? (just noticed that on Bob's link)

I'd still prefer to have it built at SIA. The final product is not an Isuzu in any way, shape, or form. Isuzu dealers have just become another GMC outlet for sales.

How 'bout them Terps! Beat the Hoosiers! Though I'm sure SIA employees want Indy.

I think the 2.5l is more than adequate, and that the 3.0l is more about smoothness and luxury feel than it is about brute power. Still, I wish the H6 was available on several other models, and with a manual tranny.

Pretty funny, Bob. It actually doesn't look like a bad idea. If DCX makes one you should ask for a reward.

-juice
    Blackwood was dumb. 2WD only? No mid-gate? All for MORE money than GM's far superior design?

GM gave theirs a midgate, more power, and 4WD. For less money. Guess which succeeded?

-juice
    Yeah, but it doesn't look like we fooled anyone. At the moment there are three responses, all very positive, which I'm surprised, considering most people who visit that site absolutely hate the Liberty.

Bob
    Yeah, but nothing beats seeing it in person. :-)

-juice
    This is just to wet your lips... :)

Bob
  • lucien2lucien2 Posts: 2,984
    I don't think the, uh, target demographic for that truck cares as much about 4WD as it does about bling. At least that was my observation at the car show.
    Fake wood, bling bling! It's not even the right color!

-juice
  • lark6lark6 Posts: 2,565
    Where can I get one of those Volvo Hogsters?

Seriously, given Volvo's place in FoMoCo's PAG, when I saw the name I expected a Harley tie-in much along the line of the H-D edition F-150.

Ed
    is an early '50s Volvo 4WD, originally designed for the Swedish military; sort of Volvo's take on early Dodge Power Wagons...

Ed, being a "50s-kind-of-guy," I can see why you would want one. Actually, I wouldn't mind one myself! ;)

Bob
    Though I will be soon enough.

Actually a refurbished IH Travellall would be nifty. Whenever I see that VW Jetta "wedding" ad (which hasn't been on in a long time) I drool over the Travelall pulling the Airstream that the Jetta passes on the way to church.

Ed (born old, or young but getting old before his time, depending on who you talk to)
    the 50's reference was meant to be that is where your heart is at, in terms of motor vehicles. I could have said you're a "60s-kind-of-guy." ;)

Bob
    In terms of style yes, that's true. I am ever grateful that the industry has made quantum leaps in safety and performance since that time. Cars that are currently considered basic transportation handle better than performance cars of a generation ago, for instance. I could go on and on but I won't.

I do have to wonder what the antique/classic car hobby will look like circa 2030. If I'm lucky I'll be here to see it.

Ed
    Hey - great topic starter. What cars do you think will be collectible in 2030?

SVX and WRX STi definitely will have a shot. What would you add to your classic garage if you could afford to have one?

Maybe the last air-cooled Porsche 911 turbo.

-juice
    will be regarded in 2030, as one of the leading edge, and most influential designs of this era.

Oops! I must be having a senior moment...

Bob